Asparagus and Potato Salad

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 24, 2011

Oh, long weekend, we will miss you dearly!

IMG_6265

It rained yesterday on and off but we still managed to get some work done outside. Eric finished installing the railing posts and he started the fascia boards along the edge. It gives a lovely polished effect!

IMG_6289-2

Meanwhile, I tended to the garden beds while the worms tended to my soil. ;)

IMG_6280

We also put together my new compost bin that was a birthday gift from my in-laws.

IMG_6270

She’s a beauty, isn’t she? I believe my transition into a tree-huggin, hippy, vegan is now complete. ;)

IMG_6287

A compost bin can cut your waste by over 25%, according to the manual. I would guess that our compost is at least 50% of our ‘waste’…vegans go through a lot of compost materials in a week! Our area has a separate compost collection in addition to blue bin and garbage pick-up, but I’d rather use it for the garden anyday.

Thankfully, the rain stopped and the sun came out just in time for the BBQ. While Eric worked his magic, I prepared a lovely asparagus and potato salad.

IMG_6222

I adapted the recipe from a pamphlet by Foodland Ontario. I picked it up when I bought the local asparagus and I had my eye on the recipe all weekend long!

The directions said to steam the potatoes and asparagus, but I decided to roast the potatoes in a bit of olive oil, salt, minced garlic, and pepper. They are just fantastic prepared this way and their flavour really pops.

IMG_6188

Meanwhile, I made the dressing and I was able to cut down the oil by 80% with a few minor adjustments.

IMG_6190

I used some fresh chives from the garden…along with fresh dill, green onion, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, garlic, etc. The dressing has a great kick to it!

IMG_6185

I also sautéed the asparagus in a little olive oil and Herbamare just before the potatoes were finished baking.

IMG_6189

Then, all you do is mix everything together and you have yourself a delicious warm asparagus and potato salad to enjoy with a BBQ.

IMG_6191

We also debated grilling the potatoes and asparagus on the BBQ, but we ran out of space because our BBQ is small and has a flame coming through on one side….don’t ask. Our friend gave it to us for free. ;)

The burgers:

IMG_6195

These Amy’s burgers are good, but they are their best when grilled on the BBQ. They are an ‘omnivore-friendly’ veggie burger and everyone always seems to enjoy them. Sometimes Eric also BBQ’s beef or chicken, but he was out and the stores were closed for the holiday.

IMG_6227

My first shot…

IMG_6210

(notice all the empty space in the photo)

My last shot…

IMG_6224

(space is filled in the background)

The potato salad was divine. This was my first vegan potato salad and I was really impressed. Normally, I’m not a big potato salad fan, but this recipe changed my mind. Probably because it wasn’t drenched in mayonnaise and served cold. :)

If you are looking for a fun & delicious warm potato salad I definitely recommend this one.

IMG_6201

[print_this]

Asparagus and Potato Salad

Adapted from Foodland Ontario.

Yield: about 4-5 servings

Roasted Potatoes:

• 2 lbs potatoes (I used organic Russet), washed & chopped into 1” pieces
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced

Dressing:

• 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/2 tsp maple syrup (see note below)
  • 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
  • 1 bunch green onion, finely chopped

Sautéed Asparagus

• 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and chopped into 1” pieces
  • extra virgin olive oil + 1/4 tsp Herbamare (or salt), for sautéing

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 425F. In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes and seasonings. Lay on a baking sheet lined with parchment or non-stick mat. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing once half-way through baking. Set aside.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.

3. Sautee the asparagus in a little oil and salt over low-medium heat for about 8 minutes, until tender and crisp.

4. Mix the potatoes, asparagus, and dressing together in a large mixing bowl and season to taste. Serve immediately, warm. Makes about 4-5 servings.

Note: I used just a touch of maple syrup to balance out the dressing. You could also use a touch of sugar or other sweetener. Or simply do not use it at all. I thought it balanced it out really well and you couldn’t detect the maple.

[/print_this]

IMG_6205

Off to tackle the work week. Happy Tuesday!

Page 3 of 3«123
Ulya May 25, 2011 at 5:04 am

I really love potato salad and this recipe looks amazing. I gotta try it asap! Thanks for posting!

Erinn May 25, 2011 at 5:42 am

What a fantastic recipe!! I made this for dinner last night and it was GREAT!!!!!

Molly @ RDexposed May 25, 2011 at 7:47 am

You just took my breath away…

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

Those burgers are good, aren’t they? You are going to LOVE your compost. I miss mine like crazy.

Richelle May 25, 2011 at 9:05 am

That potato salad looks great!

Julie May 25, 2011 at 10:12 am

We made your delicious potato and asparagus salad last night. Thank you so much. What a great way to start the picnic season. I imagine we will make it a lot this summer and might try it with other greens like beans and broccolli once the asparagus is gone locally. Thanks.

Rachael May 25, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Made this salad last night – but substituted sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes! So yummy! Love the dressing :)

Sylvia May 25, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Hi! Just found your blog and I LOVE it! I live in southern Ontario as well so I love that I always know what you’re talking about and have access to the same resources. I stumbled across your site when google brought up the post you made in regards to Raw Aura… love that place!

So far I’ve tried your cookie dough blizzard, mac and cheese, oat parfait, parsnip fries, pesto and roast veg pizza and tonight I plan on the echiladas! ALL… read… ALLLLLL of them were so freaking fabulous I just had to let you know what I thought! Hands down impressed! Thanks for keeping my pregnant tummy happy and full of nutritious goodies, Im 25 weeks today! Yay!

Thanks again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Thank you! Congrats on your pregnancy!!

Beth May 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Congrats on the compost!
We also have city green bin pick up, but I would rather it go back into our gardens too. As we aren’t vegan, the city gets all the meat scraps and bones. Our compost gets all the “good stuff”.

Lacia May 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Just made this. YUMMY! I think I can seriously eat the whole bowl!

Angela Bonnell May 25, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Made this tonight, it’s even better than it looks. I steamed the potatoes instead of roasting and it was awesome, they soak up all of the dressing. DELICIOUS:) BTW I love your blog, I’ve made a lot of your recipes and they are all delicious, especially the overnight oats!

Ann Choe May 26, 2011 at 8:10 am

hello hello. I made this last night with PURPLE asparagus and it was YUMMMM.

Ami May 26, 2011 at 4:16 pm

OK, so I normally just lurk around your site… reading it everyday as it pops up in my inbox…. BUT last night I made this asparagus and potato salad and it was seriously the best potato salad I have ever had. I had to comment!!!

Like the reader above, I also live in southern Ontario and LOVE your blog because you often refer to products and places I can actually get/visit! Also, I have had great luck with all the recipes I have tried.

Just wanted to de-lurk and let you know what a fantastic job you are doing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm

thanks so much! :)

The Iowa Farmer's Wife May 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

YUM! This sounds amazing! I wish we still had asparagus in our garden! Would love for you to link this up to my Vegetarian Recipes Blog Hop today to celebrate National Vegetarian Week! :)

Lindsey May 30, 2011 at 11:07 am

Tried this recipe last tonight – it was fantastic and that is from a person who doesn’t typically love potatoes! But with this recipe and your salt and vinegar chips I have started to like them more and more. I servied it with almond curry tilapia!

Mandy May 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I made the potato salad for a Memorial Day barbeque today and it was a HUGE hit!! Everyone loved it! Thanks so much for sharing and I love your blog!

T May 31, 2011 at 10:50 am

I have 2 of those compost bins! Our city sells them at a reduced rate for $35. We bought 2 so that when the first one fills up we can use the 2nd one while the first one is decomposing. Now, if you have eavestroughing, you need to get yourself a rain barrel! We have the “Fiskars Salsa Rain Barrel” from Canadian Tire. It’s neat because it attaches directly to your eavestrough, the water will fill the barrel, once the barrel is full the water will just pour down the evestrough again. The attachment has a filter to catch leaves and stuff. You’ll have to look it up on the Fiskars website!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Thank you! I am debating getting another compost too….I go thru so much. Our city also sells at a reduced rate . :)

NIcole May 31, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Yummy!!! This salad was absolutely delicious!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Glad u liked it!

April June 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm

This is fantastic- just made it for supper but I used red skin potatoes. Incredible, I will definitely be making it again!

Holly June 1, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Made this tonight and it is so yum! I used white potatoes cause they were on sale this week. I will definitely make this again. Adding it to my list of dishes that will please even non-vegans.

Amber June 3, 2011 at 9:24 am

I made this salad last night and loved everything about it! It’s like spring in a bowl :-) Thanks

Valarie June 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I am eating this as I type…Oh YUM!!! Together with the Cilantro and Chick Pea Salad, I have leftovers for lunch.

Cari June 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I made this recipe at my son’s 1st birthday party this weekend. It was a big hit! Love your blog and your recipes!

Michelle @ Taste As You Go June 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m typically picky about my potato salad and will only eat mayonnaise-based salads that I prepare myself (i.e. my mother’s recipe). I love the idea of skipping the mayonnaise altogether and dressing the vegetables with something much lighter. And the addition of asparagus? Delicious!

Carla May 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Love this salad! Served it on a bed of organic arugula from the farmers market.

Ruth June 3, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I made this for lunch today and wish I could express in words my husband’s enthusiasm for this dish. It was so very, very tasty! I didn’t have dill and didn’t add sweetener to the dressing, but otherwise stuck to the recipe. Definitely a keeper!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012 at 8:03 am

That’s great Ruth, thanks for the feedback!

Karen June 26, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Made it this weekend while at my inlaws in Prince Edward County and they devoured it!!
Thanks so much!!!!

Brooke July 14, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Angela, this recipe is to die for! My husband and I made it the other night and loved it! We could have eaten the sauce all by itself! Thank you for an amazing recipe that we can serve with our veggie burgers :-D

PS – We don’t eat McDonald’s Big Macs anymore as we have been vegan for 2 years but the sauce in this recipe reminds us of the sauce that was on the Big Macs! So crazy!

Radhika Sarohia September 19, 2012 at 11:30 pm

This looks good

Jenn April 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! I brought this to an omni-Easter dinner and it was a huge hit. I added chickpeas (inspired by a similar recipe from Susan Voisin @ Fat Free Vegan Kitchen). I wasn’t sure if there would be any other plant-based dishes at dinner, so I chose this recipe to ensure I had something substantial to eat (plus the asparagus and fresh herbs made it feel ‘spring-y’). Delish :) I have a little leftover and can’t wait to see how it is cold!

mel August 12, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Awe.Some! I made the recipe from the cookbook last night. It’s scorching summertime in South Texas, and I can’t stand to turn on the oven and heat up the house. I roasted the potatoes in a skillet, then added the asparagus and roasted some more. Time was about the same as oven time. I used 1 t. dried dill because I my fresh dill went bad on me. I could drink the dressing! There’s no garlic or mustard in the cookbook version. We think we’ll try adding it next time for a little extra bite. The salad was really good warm last night and cold tonight. This is a great make ahead dish.

Elaine November 21, 2014 at 6:45 am

I made the version of this salad in Angela’s cookbook. It is DELICIOUS!!! Such a variety of texture and flavor. It tasted like a gourmet potato salad you would find in a fine restaurant. Thank you Angela.