Lightened Up Summer Granola

IMG 6950   Lightened Up Summer Granola

You might be stockpiling food in your freezer IF.…

1) You’re a food blogger and can only cram so much in the fridge.

2)  You realize you can stop yourself from eating an entire batch of cookies if you freeze them. Then you realize the cookies taste amazing frozen and now you have annoying freezer crumbs everywhere.

3) Your mom taught you to never throw out food. Leftovers are your friend.

4) You are 86 years old.

5) Your ‘cooking-impaired’ significant other may not survive while you are out of town (Hi mom!)

6) Your nephews are coming to visit for a week!

IMG 9050   Lightened Up Summer Granola

Check, check, check!

IMG 450812 thumb   Lightened Up Summer Granola

I’m known as Auntie Angie.

Or more realistically, The fun girl who looks like mommy and bakes reeeeally yummy Glo Bars.

Or perhaps even more realistically, The fun girl who lets us get away with sticky Glo Bar fingers and believes us when we say, ‘Mommy said I could watch one more show before bed’.

IMG 45252 thumb   Lightened Up Summer Granola

Mommy, did not say that, but we’ll pretend she did.

We can also pretend that this granola is going to last a week and a half in the freezer with Uncle Eric creepin around. He’s a bit of a granola creeper, that guy. I may have to tell him there are beans in it to keep him away.

(vanilla beans, but shhhh…)

IMG 6944   Lightened Up Summer Granola

[print this recipe!]

Lightened Up Summer Granola (Oil-Free & Reduced Sugar)

I love granola, but I don’t always love its usual oil and sugar heavy profile. This crunchy lightened up version doesn’t contain any oil and is lightly sweetened, resulting in a light tasting granola perfect for those warmer summer months! I love this granola crumbled over a bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats, a Green Monster, or Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge.

Yield: ~5 cups. Adapted from My Favourite Granola

Dry:

• 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 cup uncooked millet
  • 2 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet:

• heaping 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 1/4 cup Brown Rice Syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 3 tbsp Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter w/ hemp, flax, chia (or other nut butter)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 vanilla beans, scraped (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick mat.

2. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.In a medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (except for the vanilla beans and extracts). Microwave for about 60 seconds on high. Now stir in the extracts and scraped vanilla beans until combined.

3. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir well until everything is coated. Mixture will be a bit dry at first but keep mixing as it will eventually come together! Adjust salt to taste. Scoop onto baking sheet.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once half way through baking. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet. Makes about 5 cups. Store in an air-tight container for 1-2 months.

IMG 6952   Lightened Up Summer Granola

A couple months ago, I sent my nephews a box of this granola as a special treat. Kristi reported back that they gobbled it up and also asked if Auntie could make this for them when they visit! Granola is a great snack to have on hand to mix in cereal, yogurt, or even on its own.

Of course, I had to do an official taste testing this morning. :)

IMG 9045   Lightened Up Summer Granola

I crumbled some granola on top of a bowl of Blueberry Vegan Overnight Oats. A lovely summer breakfast!

Now, I just need to hide this from Eric. And myself. Does granola taste good frozen? Don’t answer that.

IMG 9043   Lightened Up Summer Granola

Here’s what I’ve stockpiled in my freezer so far:

I’m now on the hunt for kid-friendly entree ideas. If you have any suggestions, please leave them below!

IMG 6947   Lightened Up Summer Granola

Now, if you’ll excuse me I have a kiddie pool to set up.

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 18, 2011

haha my fiance is sooo kitchen impaired. When I leave I force him to fend for himself though. ;)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 18, 2011

Yum! This granola looks great – I can’t believe I’ve never used vanilla beans before!? I made your veggie burgers yesterday (delish by the way!) and they’re in my freezer along with some store bought veggie burgers, lots of berries and I have frozen bananas coming out the wahzoo. I’m thinking banana muffins are on the menu this week! Happy Monday.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 18, 2011

Yummmm! I can attest to this being delicious! I had some of the bag that you gave me yesterday for breakfast this morning and it was SO SO good!! Thinking back to when I was little, mac and cheese was a staple meal. Maybe you can make them vegan mac & cheese? Or build your own pizzas? Happy stockpiling! (Oh and so true about the 86 year old thing.. my grandpa is around that old and I once counted 8 boxes of Raisin Bran and 9 tubs of ice cream!!! His response? “It was on sale!”) LOL! :) Have a great day Ange!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

LOL…I think your grandpa and I would get along quite well.

Katie July 18, 2011

Oh my gosh, the granola on top of your blueberry VOO looks incredible!!

kate July 18, 2011

Ahh I always try to freeze things so I dont eat them all but they end up tasting just as good in the freezer, have fun with your nephews!!

The Teenage Taste July 18, 2011

FINALLY a granola recipe that is actually healthy! It’s so refreshing to see granola that isn’t loaded with sugar and oil!
Thanks Auntie Angie! ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Anytime :)

Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission July 18, 2011

I hoard frozen bananas and frozen fruit. Recently, I froze a whole batch of chocolate zucchini muffins but now I eat those more than the fresh ones because they taste so damn delicious microwaved!
I am definitely making this granola. I am in love with the thought of healthy, oil-free granola!! I’m probably going to add some naturally sweetened dried cranberries to it :)

Cait's Plate July 18, 2011

That looks just perfect. I have yet to find a really good granola recipe so I’m excited to try this!

Are those dried cranberries or cherries you have in there? I LOVE adding those two to granola – their tart taste is the best :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 18, 2011

I have the same issues with my freezer! It is always exploding with food. This summer granola looks wonderful.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 18, 2011

The official taste testing looks delish!

Kid friendly entrees… you can’t go wrong with pizza, nachos or quesadillas, or anything you can dip (maybe a black bean burger done chicken finger-style?).

Hannah July 18, 2011

I’ve been craving granola! What would you suggest subbing in for millet?

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife July 18, 2011

This sounds amazing, I’ve never had a granola with millet in it! I’m definitely guilty of stocking things away in the freezer–especially desserts! My fridge and freezer are always too full to put anything else in!

Jennifer Baldwin July 18, 2011

I want to make every one of your recipes ! This granola looks delicious.
I have made your Buckwheat groats recipe now 3 times…love !
Freeze your green smoothie into popsicles for your nephews…my kids love them (i add a little more agave than usual) !

Charlie July 18, 2011

This granola must be sooo good with all that vanilla!! Yum :)

My 6 year-old brother loves this pasta sauce (http://www.sweetsaltyspicy.net/2011/03/spiced-veggilicious-pasta-sauce.html). I make it less spicy (skip the red pepper flakes!) when I make it for him.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 18, 2011

this is the perfect recipe- i always shy away from granola recipes due to their high sugar/oil content. this sounds great!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 18, 2011

Great post! Love that there is not a lot of oil in this granola! Looks Yummy! Enjoy the time with your nephews!

Katie July 18, 2011

I’m Auntie Katie, otherwise known as the aunt who lives on the other side of the country and has to be really fun to overcompensate for the lack of time and presence. Sigh.

I don’t even like granola, yet these photos may make me change my mind!

Brooke July 18, 2011

That looks so so yummy…I may need to try it!

I too have a problem with my feezer – I think it’s where my hoarding tendency is best put to good use!

As far as a kid friendly food – I would agree with others that anything diapable would be a good place to start…

Brooke Annessa

cathy July 18, 2011

have much fun hosting your nephews, angela!
with that granola and a kiddie pool (not to mention *a little* spoiling from auntie and uncle!) they will never want to go home!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011

Haha, this makes me feel better about leaving my husband food in the fridge when I travel for work. Sometimes I feel like it’s 1950 or something b/c I’m always thinking a few days before I leave what I can make that produces leftovers that keep well for him.
I’m intrigued by the millet in this granola. Sounds interesting!

Sheryl July 18, 2011

Thanks for the recipe. I like the applesauce touch, I’m excited to try it. I have started using Coconut Sugar instead of Sucanat because it’s supposed to have lower GI level and overall better for you. I also wanted to recommend the website http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com I think you would find her information really interesting.
Kids Friendly Entrees: (this is my constant daily battle) I have a picky little boy and these are some of the things he loves:

-fruit kabobs
-both raw veggie kabobs and grilled kabobs are a hit at our house
-Butternut squash stuffed (Jumbo) pasta shells with olive oil and rosemary sauce
-quinoa stuffed red bell peppers (stuff pepper with quinoa, corn, homemade/store bought salsa, and tofu)
-Hummus quesadillas
-Spaghetti Squash with tomato sauce
-Tostadas

Hope this helps. Nothing like good food to retain favorite auntie status ;)
Thanks for all your delicious recipes. If you felt so inspired to share any kid friendly entrees you might think of in the future, they would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

Danielle July 18, 2011

I love your polka dotted apron! I’ve been looking everywhere for one!
I freeze half of everything that I make that can be tossed into the freezer. Otherwise, I catch myself mindlessly munching… Oops! ;)
You are a great Auntie for making all their favourites! :)

Caroline July 18, 2011

I love your dishes and color combination! So beautiful :) Thanks for sharing that great recipe… can’t wait to try it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Thanks Caroline!

Ashley July 18, 2011

Awww, you are such a good aunt!! If possible, can I please come live in your freezer? I swear I’ll clean up the crumbs. Seriously, your freezer is stocked!!! Love that you used applesauce + almond butter for the granola. I used mashed banana for a recipe once, instead of oil and it came out really well! Also, millet…in granola? I die. :) So excited your family is coming to visit. My parents are coming tomorrow, but I have NOTHING ready to go in the freezer. hehehe

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011

Oh Auntie Angie this looks so good! I agree that frozen treats are even better, so the freezer is not a “safe place” for me to keep treats. I end up eating too many and then I don’t have any to enjoy the next day!

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 18, 2011

This looks heavenly!
I made granola once and it was lovely but i should have frozen it so it lasted longer, i’m a huge fan of putting cashews in my granola, yummm :)
And hahahaa my BF would starve if i didn’t prepare meals for him when i’m not home :D

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 18, 2011

I love granola! I just made maple syrup & brown sugar granola bars (not super healthy, but so delicious) that my fiancee and I have been nibbling on for about a week.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 18, 2011

This granola sounds perfect! I love that it’s oil free and low sugar. Will be making it right away!

Lisa Fine July 18, 2011

Such a great idea! I love the idea of an oil-free granola, to have a lighter version on hand.

I love to stockpile our freezer with garden-fresh goodies. Right now we have some pesto from this year’s herbs, plus some of last year’s jam. Soon there will be lots of jam in the freezer, and I often freeze extra muffins or cookies when I make too many.

Sush July 18, 2011

You have given me so many recipes I want to try and make to take on our beach vacation. I have a newly pregnant DIl who is having a hard time finding things healthy enough to eat and sit well on her stomach. Everything you’ve posted lately looks like it will fill the bill!

Thanks…and Hugs~

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Thank you :) Enjoy!

Renata July 18, 2011

I had really great success with doing grilled stuffed bananas. I varied the recipe by adding coconut and removing marshmallows, and it was a big hit! I retrieved the original idea from here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2564 , It’s a lot of fun to stuff the bananas with goodies!

Jenna July 18, 2011

i wish you were my aunt!! lol they will be well fed i’m sure of it!

Jess@atasteofconfidence July 18, 2011

Frozen cookies are amazing! Have fun with the kiddos!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 18, 2011

This looks so delicious! When I teach my Thrive classes, I always make a batch of granola to show how simple it is, plus the house smells amazing. I’m going to try your recipe changes to make it healthier – I’m sure my students will be happy that it is lower calorie.

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 18, 2011

That granola looks great! My freezer is stuffed with leftover baked goods…well, so is my fridge. ….and counter

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 18, 2011

Wow, I’ve never heard of using millet in granola before. Definitely very innovative and something worth recreating. Thank you :)

Maddie July 18, 2011

So excited to try this granola! I have Blueberry Vegan Overnight Oats planned for Wednesday mornings breakfast, and this will be perfect to put on top :) Thanks Angela!

And…Blueberry Chia Breakfast Squares?! Is there a recipe that goes along with those?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

The recipe isn’t ready to post yet… :)

Lisa July 18, 2011

How about grilling out one night and have sliders and smores. Also make your own pizzas, spaghetti, tacos, pigs in a blanket. Raw veggies dipped in Ranch dressing. I bet you are a fun Aunt!

Jen July 18, 2011

Any aunt who bakes delicious granola is a winner. I’m sure the kids love you. Have fun with your family! And you can’t blame Eric…I’d probably be stealing all the granola too! Even if it really did have beans in it.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 18, 2011

haha I used to LOVE going to my Aunt’s house. She’d let me drive, listen to awesome music, and eat junk food all day. I’m sure there were a bunch of veggies mixed in there, but I only remember the chocolate and candies.
I’ve put millet in my granola before and I found it way too crunchy! So, I soak the granola overnight and the grains get all soft and chewy. SO good!

Page 1 of 3123»