Lightened Up Summer Granola

IMG_6950

You might be stockpiling food in your freezer IF.…

1) You’re a food blogger and can only cram so much in the fridge.

2)  You realize you can stop yourself from eating an entire batch of cookies if you freeze them. Then you realize the cookies taste amazing frozen and now you have annoying freezer crumbs everywhere.

3) Your mom taught you to never throw out food. Leftovers are your friend.

4) You are 86 years old.

5) Your ‘cooking-impaired’ significant other may not survive while you are out of town (Hi mom!)

6) Your nephews are coming to visit for a week!

IMG_9050

Check, check, check!

IMG_45081[2]

I’m known as Auntie Angie.

Or more realistically, The fun girl who looks like mommy and bakes reeeeally yummy Glo Bars.

Or perhaps even more realistically, The fun girl who lets us get away with sticky Glo Bar fingers and believes us when we say, ‘Mommy said I could watch one more show before bed’.

IMG_4525[2]

Mommy, did not say that, but we’ll pretend she did.

We can also pretend that this granola is going to last a week and a half in the freezer with Uncle Eric creepin around. He’s a bit of a granola creeper, that guy. I may have to tell him there are beans in it to keep him away.

(vanilla beans, but shhhh…)

IMG_6944

[print this recipe!]

Lightened Up Summer Granola (Oil-Free & Reduced Sugar)

I love granola, but I don’t always love its usual oil and sugar heavy profile. This crunchy lightened up version doesn’t contain any oil and is lightly sweetened, resulting in a light tasting granola perfect for those warmer summer months! I love this granola crumbled over a bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats, a Green Monster, or Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge.

Yield: ~5 cups. Adapted from My Favourite Granola

Dry:

• 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 cup uncooked millet
  • 2 tbsp ground flax
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet:

• heaping 2 tbsp applesauce
  • 1/4 cup Brown Rice Syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 3 tbsp Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter w/ hemp, flax, chia (or other nut butter)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 vanilla beans, scraped (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick mat.

2. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.In a medium sized bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (except for the vanilla beans and extracts). Microwave for about 60 seconds on high. Now stir in the extracts and scraped vanilla beans until combined.

3. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir well until everything is coated. Mixture will be a bit dry at first but keep mixing as it will eventually come together! Adjust salt to taste. Scoop onto baking sheet.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once half way through baking. Allow to cool for about 10-15 minutes on the baking sheet. Makes about 5 cups. Store in an air-tight container for 1-2 months.

IMG_6952

A couple months ago, I sent my nephews a box of this granola as a special treat. Kristi reported back that they gobbled it up and also asked if Auntie could make this for them when they visit! Granola is a great snack to have on hand to mix in cereal, yogurt, or even on its own.

Of course, I had to do an official taste testing this morning. :)

IMG_9045

I crumbled some granola on top of a bowl of Blueberry Vegan Overnight Oats. A lovely summer breakfast!

Now, I just need to hide this from Eric. And myself. Does granola taste good frozen? Don’t answer that.

IMG_9043

Here’s what I’ve stockpiled in my freezer so far:

I’m now on the hunt for kid-friendly entree ideas. If you have any suggestions, please leave them below!

IMG_6947

Now, if you’ll excuse me I have a kiddie pool to set up.

1 Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 18, 2011

haha my fiance is sooo kitchen impaired. When I leave I force him to fend for himself though. ;)

2 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 18, 2011

Yum! This granola looks great – I can’t believe I’ve never used vanilla beans before!? I made your veggie burgers yesterday (delish by the way!) and they’re in my freezer along with some store bought veggie burgers, lots of berries and I have frozen bananas coming out the wahzoo. I’m thinking banana muffins are on the menu this week! Happy Monday.

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 18, 2011

Yummmm! I can attest to this being delicious! I had some of the bag that you gave me yesterday for breakfast this morning and it was SO SO good!! Thinking back to when I was little, mac and cheese was a staple meal. Maybe you can make them vegan mac & cheese? Or build your own pizzas? Happy stockpiling! (Oh and so true about the 86 year old thing.. my grandpa is around that old and I once counted 8 boxes of Raisin Bran and 9 tubs of ice cream!!! His response? “It was on sale!”) LOL! :) Have a great day Ange!

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

LOL…I think your grandpa and I would get along quite well.

5 Katie July 18, 2011

Oh my gosh, the granola on top of your blueberry VOO looks incredible!!

6 kate July 18, 2011

Ahh I always try to freeze things so I dont eat them all but they end up tasting just as good in the freezer, have fun with your nephews!!

7 The Teenage Taste July 18, 2011

FINALLY a granola recipe that is actually healthy! It’s so refreshing to see granola that isn’t loaded with sugar and oil!
Thanks Auntie Angie! ;-)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Anytime :)

9 Dawn @ Blonde on a Mission July 18, 2011

I hoard frozen bananas and frozen fruit. Recently, I froze a whole batch of chocolate zucchini muffins but now I eat those more than the fresh ones because they taste so damn delicious microwaved!
I am definitely making this granola. I am in love with the thought of healthy, oil-free granola!! I’m probably going to add some naturally sweetened dried cranberries to it :)

10 Cait's Plate July 18, 2011

That looks just perfect. I have yet to find a really good granola recipe so I’m excited to try this!

Are those dried cranberries or cherries you have in there? I LOVE adding those two to granola – their tart taste is the best :)

11 Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 18, 2011

I have the same issues with my freezer! It is always exploding with food. This summer granola looks wonderful.

12 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 18, 2011

The official taste testing looks delish!

Kid friendly entrees… you can’t go wrong with pizza, nachos or quesadillas, or anything you can dip (maybe a black bean burger done chicken finger-style?).

13 Hannah July 18, 2011

I’ve been craving granola! What would you suggest subbing in for millet?

14 Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife July 18, 2011

This sounds amazing, I’ve never had a granola with millet in it! I’m definitely guilty of stocking things away in the freezer–especially desserts! My fridge and freezer are always too full to put anything else in!

15 Jennifer Baldwin July 18, 2011

I want to make every one of your recipes ! This granola looks delicious.
I have made your Buckwheat groats recipe now 3 times…love !
Freeze your green smoothie into popsicles for your nephews…my kids love them (i add a little more agave than usual) !

16 Charlie July 18, 2011

This granola must be sooo good with all that vanilla!! Yum :)

My 6 year-old brother loves this pasta sauce (http://www.sweetsaltyspicy.net/2011/03/spiced-veggilicious-pasta-sauce.html). I make it less spicy (skip the red pepper flakes!) when I make it for him.

17 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 18, 2011

this is the perfect recipe- i always shy away from granola recipes due to their high sugar/oil content. this sounds great!

18 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 18, 2011

Great post! Love that there is not a lot of oil in this granola! Looks Yummy! Enjoy the time with your nephews!

19 Katie July 18, 2011

I’m Auntie Katie, otherwise known as the aunt who lives on the other side of the country and has to be really fun to overcompensate for the lack of time and presence. Sigh.

I don’t even like granola, yet these photos may make me change my mind!

20 Brooke July 18, 2011

That looks so so yummy…I may need to try it!

I too have a problem with my feezer – I think it’s where my hoarding tendency is best put to good use!

As far as a kid friendly food – I would agree with others that anything diapable would be a good place to start…

Brooke Annessa

21 cathy July 18, 2011

have much fun hosting your nephews, angela!
with that granola and a kiddie pool (not to mention *a little* spoiling from auntie and uncle!) they will never want to go home!

22 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 18, 2011

Haha, this makes me feel better about leaving my husband food in the fridge when I travel for work. Sometimes I feel like it’s 1950 or something b/c I’m always thinking a few days before I leave what I can make that produces leftovers that keep well for him.
I’m intrigued by the millet in this granola. Sounds interesting!

23 Sheryl July 18, 2011

Thanks for the recipe. I like the applesauce touch, I’m excited to try it. I have started using Coconut Sugar instead of Sucanat because it’s supposed to have lower GI level and overall better for you. I also wanted to recommend the website http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com I think you would find her information really interesting.
Kids Friendly Entrees: (this is my constant daily battle) I have a picky little boy and these are some of the things he loves:

-fruit kabobs
-both raw veggie kabobs and grilled kabobs are a hit at our house
-Butternut squash stuffed (Jumbo) pasta shells with olive oil and rosemary sauce
-quinoa stuffed red bell peppers (stuff pepper with quinoa, corn, homemade/store bought salsa, and tofu)
-Hummus quesadillas
-Spaghetti Squash with tomato sauce
-Tostadas

Hope this helps. Nothing like good food to retain favorite auntie status ;)
Thanks for all your delicious recipes. If you felt so inspired to share any kid friendly entrees you might think of in the future, they would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

24 Danielle July 18, 2011

I love your polka dotted apron! I’ve been looking everywhere for one!
I freeze half of everything that I make that can be tossed into the freezer. Otherwise, I catch myself mindlessly munching… Oops! ;)
You are a great Auntie for making all their favourites! :)

25 Caroline July 18, 2011

I love your dishes and color combination! So beautiful :) Thanks for sharing that great recipe… can’t wait to try it!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Thanks Caroline!

27 Ashley July 18, 2011

Awww, you are such a good aunt!! If possible, can I please come live in your freezer? I swear I’ll clean up the crumbs. Seriously, your freezer is stocked!!! Love that you used applesauce + almond butter for the granola. I used mashed banana for a recipe once, instead of oil and it came out really well! Also, millet…in granola? I die. :) So excited your family is coming to visit. My parents are coming tomorrow, but I have NOTHING ready to go in the freezer. hehehe

28 Holly @ The Runny Egg July 18, 2011

Oh Auntie Angie this looks so good! I agree that frozen treats are even better, so the freezer is not a “safe place” for me to keep treats. I end up eating too many and then I don’t have any to enjoy the next day!

29 Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 18, 2011

This looks heavenly!
I made granola once and it was lovely but i should have frozen it so it lasted longer, i’m a huge fan of putting cashews in my granola, yummm :)
And hahahaa my BF would starve if i didn’t prepare meals for him when i’m not home :D

30 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 18, 2011

I love granola! I just made maple syrup & brown sugar granola bars (not super healthy, but so delicious) that my fiancee and I have been nibbling on for about a week.

31 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 18, 2011

This granola sounds perfect! I love that it’s oil free and low sugar. Will be making it right away!

32 Lisa Fine July 18, 2011

Such a great idea! I love the idea of an oil-free granola, to have a lighter version on hand.

I love to stockpile our freezer with garden-fresh goodies. Right now we have some pesto from this year’s herbs, plus some of last year’s jam. Soon there will be lots of jam in the freezer, and I often freeze extra muffins or cookies when I make too many.

33 Sush July 18, 2011

You have given me so many recipes I want to try and make to take on our beach vacation. I have a newly pregnant DIl who is having a hard time finding things healthy enough to eat and sit well on her stomach. Everything you’ve posted lately looks like it will fill the bill!

Thanks…and Hugs~

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Thank you :) Enjoy!

35 Renata July 18, 2011

I had really great success with doing grilled stuffed bananas. I varied the recipe by adding coconut and removing marshmallows, and it was a big hit! I retrieved the original idea from here: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2564 , It’s a lot of fun to stuff the bananas with goodies!

36 Jenna July 18, 2011

i wish you were my aunt!! lol they will be well fed i’m sure of it!

37 Jess@atasteofconfidence July 18, 2011

Frozen cookies are amazing! Have fun with the kiddos!

38 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 18, 2011

This looks so delicious! When I teach my Thrive classes, I always make a batch of granola to show how simple it is, plus the house smells amazing. I’m going to try your recipe changes to make it healthier – I’m sure my students will be happy that it is lower calorie.

39 Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 18, 2011

That granola looks great! My freezer is stuffed with leftover baked goods…well, so is my fridge. ….and counter

40 Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 18, 2011

Wow, I’ve never heard of using millet in granola before. Definitely very innovative and something worth recreating. Thank you :)

41 Maddie July 18, 2011

So excited to try this granola! I have Blueberry Vegan Overnight Oats planned for Wednesday mornings breakfast, and this will be perfect to put on top :) Thanks Angela!

And…Blueberry Chia Breakfast Squares?! Is there a recipe that goes along with those?

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

The recipe isn’t ready to post yet… :)

43 Lisa July 18, 2011

How about grilling out one night and have sliders and smores. Also make your own pizzas, spaghetti, tacos, pigs in a blanket. Raw veggies dipped in Ranch dressing. I bet you are a fun Aunt!

44 Jen July 18, 2011

Any aunt who bakes delicious granola is a winner. I’m sure the kids love you. Have fun with your family! And you can’t blame Eric…I’d probably be stealing all the granola too! Even if it really did have beans in it.

45 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 18, 2011

haha I used to LOVE going to my Aunt’s house. She’d let me drive, listen to awesome music, and eat junk food all day. I’m sure there were a bunch of veggies mixed in there, but I only remember the chocolate and candies.
I’ve put millet in my granola before and I found it way too crunchy! So, I soak the granola overnight and the grains get all soft and chewy. SO good!

46 Kelley @ Just Call Me Jack July 18, 2011

I just took my ‘little sister’ from the Big Brothers Big Sisters program to the Children’s Health Education Center and she tried granola for the first time. (She’s eight). She loved it! I was so proud of her for trying the cucumbers and tomatoes as well. (Those she didn’t like so much, but she tried them!).

This recipe is great. Next time we get together I’ll have her make it with me. That way she’ll have a “go-to” healthy snack.

Thanks!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Aww that’s so sweet. :) Thanks for sharing Kelley!

48 Alyssa July 18, 2011

So that explains the frozen cookies in my Aunt’s freezer…

49 Sonia (the Mexigarian) July 18, 2011

My husband is such a granola creeper too. When I come home from “one of those stores” (WF, Sprouts), he ‘sneakily’ tries to look through the bags in search of granola. Of course I try to hide it from him in the cupboards and freezer but he manages to find it after a while. It’s a fun game :)

Have a fun time with your nephews!!

50 Sabina July 18, 2011

Hi Angela!

Great recipe. You use the same trick I do to lighten up granola: applesauce!

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

51 Jamie (Thrifty Veggie Mama) July 18, 2011

I made your buckwheat porridge today and my 2 year old loved it! I made vegan “spaghetti o’s” last week and posted that last week. I found the original recipe on Post Punk Kitchen

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Aww glad it was enjoyed!
I will check out that recipe..thanks!

53 Hadley@HadleyHolistics July 18, 2011

This looks great!

54 Liz July 18, 2011

Angela – I make granola using ground up dried plums (prunes) instead of honey/syrup to sweeten and bind the granola… Sometimes I add an egg as well to help bind everything (Would a Flax egg work – Maybe?)… I pack everything into a large rectangular cake pan and bake it until it starts to brown… Then cool, then break it up on a cookie sheet so you get those nice “clumps”… Then bake again until the pieces are golden brown and crispy.
I started using the plums when I was on the Wild Rose Cleanse a few years ago and kept using the recipe because – Well – It’s delicious! Anyway, I thought maybe you’d want to experiment… Love your blog!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

This batch I made actually clumped quite well! The photos were from the first batch I made 2 months ago, but this batch actually formed into one huge pan sized layer and then I had to break it up. I love it clumpy too! I will have to try it with dried plums!

56 Shannon (The Little Pineapple Girl) July 18, 2011

Hi!! Thanks so much for all the yummy recipes- granola is my absolute favorite. I was wondering if you have ever tried raw hulless oat groats?? I was reading about it in ani phyo’s raw food essentials book and wondering if you had any experience with them??

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

No I havent but I would like to :)

58 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 18, 2011

Been waiting for a good light granola recipe for a long time – and your recipes always turn out perfectly! Thank you!

59 Callie July 18, 2011

You sound like such a cool aunt. :) The kids must love you.
I can’t wait to make this granola! It looks so good.

60 Julie @ Shining From Within July 18, 2011

OMG YESSSSSSSS! Perfect timing!!! I was just thinking how when I get home I am going to make granola and wanted a new recipe to try out. Woooooo! Thanks :)

61 Julie @ Shining From Within July 18, 2011

oh, PS – what can I sub for millet??? quinoa, maybe?

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

probably! or buckwheat would be fun

63 Julie @ Shining From Within July 18, 2011

Just made this… Love it. Love love love. Almost didn’t make it to the oven cause it tasted too good ;)

64 Heather (heathers dish) July 18, 2011

YOM! I am all for lighter foods right now…this sounds so good!

65 Cassidy July 18, 2011

I just popped this recipe in the oven! Can’t wait!

66 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 18, 2011

Oh what trouble I’d be in if I had an extra freezer like so many friends. I swear one day I’m going to not go to the store for anything other than produce until the freezer and pantry have been depleted!

The granola looks so good! I wish I weren’t so lazy…I’m blaming it on the heat! :)

67 Lisa July 18, 2011

Looks INCREDIBLE!

68 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons July 18, 2011

totally making this! at least twice =) once to eat the entire batch in a sitting and the rest for a later day =) haha

69 laura July 18, 2011

Your nephews will love whatever delicious concotions you decide to make!
Have lots of fun, kids are adorable.
Granola looks great, you are on a roll with these great recipes. :)

70 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 18, 2011

Ahhhh love!!! And girl. By the way. You have seriously gorgeous hair. Just sayin.

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Thank you :) Right back at ya…love your hair :)

72 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) July 18, 2011

Thank you so much Angela! I’ve been looking for a recipe for lower cal granola that doesn’t lose all of the flavor. And thanks for letting us know what’s in your freezer! Gonna make those veg burgers in bulk and freeze the patties like you!

73 katie July 18, 2011

hahah this is great auntie ange! You should make your vegan sloppy joes, I loved getting my hands dirty with those as a kid. And I’m here to assure you that granola tastes awful frozen….. ;)

74 Julie (A Case of the Runs) July 18, 2011

Haha… energy pills = kale?

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

sorry lame joke lol

76 Kris July 18, 2011

Awwwww…..we love you!!!! Can’t wait :) xoxoxo

77 Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl July 18, 2011

Always love a new granola recipe! I get so excited when Millet is involved. It gives that perfect crunch!

78 JenATX July 18, 2011

“granola creeper” haha I love that! Tell Eric its ok, I creep on granola as well :)

79 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie July 18, 2011

Your pictures are always sooo pretty! Even if i hated granola (which i clearly dont) i would want to eat your breakfast everyday!

80 Sarah F July 18, 2011

Haha… I have a Granola Creeper in the house too (my boyfriend) and have had almost an ENTIRE container disappear while my mom and her boyfriend were visiting… Its for sure a guy thing…

Kid Friendly Entree – Anything they can help with! Having worked and volunteered with kids for as long as I can remember, this is the best way to get them to enjoy what they are eating.

My favorite go to – Make your own Pizza. My brother and I would beg for this night as kids. So much fun to use pitas, tortillas or homemade crust. Boys can “build” their pizza. Girls can “decorate”.
I still love making pizza.

:D

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

thanks Sarah!

82 janet July 18, 2011

This is totally kid (and adult) friendly:
Mexican Cabbage Stir Fry

83 Heidi @ Food Doodles July 18, 2011

That granola looks so good. Love the millet! Awesome idea :D And I love that you stockpile food like that too. When anyone comes to my house they always look in the freezer because that’s where the good stuff is :D

84 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 18, 2011

Yum! I love finding granola recipes that are lighter on the sweetner! :)

85 Melissa July 18, 2011

Your granola looks so YUMMY! My hubby and kiddos LOVE granola…and I too have a favorite granola recipe that I’ve been wanting to “lighten up”. You’ve inspired me to get in the kitchen and start tweaking it! :) Love your site!!

86 Katherine July 18, 2011

Those blueberry overnight oats look GREAT!

87 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 18, 2011

I love the looks of your granola…but your opening lines are CLASSIC!!!

“:2) You realize you can stop yourself from eating an entire batch of cookies if you freeze them. Then you realize the cookies taste amazing frozen and now you have annoying freezer crumbs everywhere”

Girl. I have a FREEZER FULL of desserts and treats. People are like well do you eat everything you make? What do you do with it all?
And I want to say yes, I eat it. In fact, just this past week before we moved, I was cleaning out my freezer and found some desserts that I made like 6 mos ago. Whoops. But at room temp when they warmed up, they tasted 98% as good as they did when I first made them. The freezer IS my best friend. And it was my grandma’s too. She had stuff in hers that was like 7 yrs old I swear :)

88 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 18, 2011

I always try to have a tasty treat stashed in my freezer. I’ve never thought to freeze granola before though. Does it stay crispy?

89 Lia July 18, 2011

Mmmmm! That looks good! That’s my style of granola and it looks particularly appetizing on the VOO!

90 Lauren Zietsman July 18, 2011

Our freezers must look a lot alike–I tried to prevent myself from eating raisins (weird craving, right? but I LOVE raisins!) by freezing them–but now I think cold raisins are even BETTER! noooo!

91 Hayley @ Oat Couture July 18, 2011

Haha I’m a granola creeper too! :D Just made my second batch this morning and its GONE! Although at least I had some help this time! I could def do with trying your lightened up version… maybe it will bring a little less guilt after the 3rd bowl! :D

92 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 18, 2011

bahah granola creeper! excellent :) haha fantastic recipe as usual ( cant wait to try!)

93 Ellie@fitforthesoul July 18, 2011

Awww! Haha, you’re a great aunt! That’s what’s great about us aunts–we get to allow them this and that, but we don’t have to deal with the repercussions later :P Your overnight oats always look sooo good!

94 Jacqueline @smartsolitude.com July 18, 2011

Being an aunt is one of the best things I’ve experienced in life so far!

95 Chelsea Talks Smack July 18, 2011

Oh, i’m definitely making that.

96 Marci July 18, 2011

my freezer is stuffed with loaf breads pre-sliced, cookies, raw cookie dough balls (your version), and sometimes soups too! I always talk about using my freezer for more than just ice cream!

97 Amy July 18, 2011

I was thinking of buying some granola this weekend, no need to now I can make my own!
I think it would actually taste really great straight from the freezer, perhaps with some banana ‘soft serve’ :)

98 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life July 18, 2011

I laughed so hard at #2! I made Mama Pea’s doughballs the other day, threw them in the freezer, forgot about them, re-discovered them last night, and today? They’re gone. Oops?

99 Emily July 18, 2011

Homemade granola is the best! This looks awesome.

100 Zandra July 18, 2011

Build your own pizzas is always a good kid-friendly idea. My super picky son will only eat pizza when he makes it himself, he makes it into a face :)

101 Lorin July 18, 2011

I finally bought my first chia seeds from the bulk section. I’ll be making some vegan overnight oats tommorow, yay! Your nephews are lucky to have you as an Aunt that cooks such delicious, healthy food for them. :)

102 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 18, 2011

I love your original granola recipe, so I’m sure this is just as good! I’ll have to make it once my current granola stash runs out.

Have fun with your nephews this week! You should make your “blizzards” for them – but then I think they may want to live with you permanently! :P

103 Rebecca July 18, 2011

I love you for this. There are three little boy guests in my house this week and I really want to make them healthy treats. I have a feeling the Mac n Cheez would go other big time. And as for this granola, I’m making it just for me!! It is awesome to have a lightened up version to satisfy my inner granola monster.

104 kris (everyday oats) July 18, 2011

The best granola is always homemade :)

105 kaila @ healthyhelper! July 18, 2011

I pretty much want to live in your freezer.

106 Casey Thomas July 18, 2011

I love your photos and recipe creations so much! Very inspiring Angela – thanks!
Maybe green monsters for the monsters….ok I’m not saying your nephews are monsters but they are young, energetic kids right…;)

107 Katrina July 19, 2011

This looks so yummy! I love homemade granola. Such a perfect treat!

108 Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 19, 2011

This is the answer to my prayers Angela! I adore granola but banned myself from making or buying it as I scoff it in no time and as you say it’s packed with sugar and fat.

I’ll be making this pronto! :)

109 laura July 19, 2011

for kids: tacos, pasta, homemade soup, poached egg sandwiches, lasagna. y niece eats just about anything, but I’ve never met a kid who doesn’t love tacos. Or chicken fingers for that matter.

110 Amy July 19, 2011

I’m not one to leave comments on a blog, but I just say how much I LOVE your blog…and every single one of the recipes you post. Your pictures are also fantastic….so colorful. They make your food look irresistible. I’ve only tried one of your recipes (apple cookies), and they were delish! I can’t wait to try more. Thanks so much!!!

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2011

Thank you Amy!

112 LizAshlee July 19, 2011

Great minds think alike! I just posted a granola recipe, lower in fat & sugar, on Monday! Your recipe sounds super tasty!

Have a great day!!

113 Nini Compartino July 19, 2011

Just made a batch of your granola recipe! It’s delicious. The millet gives it a perfect crunch! Not too sweet, just salty enough. Very very good! It will be enjoyed by all my family for sure!

114 Sky July 19, 2011

I made this granola last night and had it for breakfast this morning. Wow! Best granola ever!!! I love the crunch of the millet. I skipped the sucanat and put in 3 drops of stevia with the vanilla and almond flavour instead. I also used half agave and half honey as liquid sweeteners. Yum!

This stuff is seriously addictive. I had a few handful before going to the gym and another few when I came back. I’m going to stick it in the freezer and keep out of sight. Hopefully, it lasts a couple more days =P

Thanks for the awesome recipe!!!

115 Robyn July 19, 2011

yum, yum,,,it smells heavenly(in the oven right now),, made your other granolas and their awesome too! Used buckwheat(on hand) added cocnut(<3) and some homemade apple butter with the apple sauce, walnuts(again on hand)…lucky, lucky nephews…enjoy your visit.

116 Kate J July 19, 2011

I love those Welch’s freezies! They’ve been a staple in my freezer all summer.

117 DessertForTwo July 20, 2011

Love the idea of lightened up granola!
Have you seen Maria’s (Two Peas and their Pod) pumpkin granola. Very little oil–she uses pumpkin and apple sauce instead! Delicious!

118 DessertForTwo July 20, 2011

Love the idea of lightened up granola!

119 Hallie July 24, 2011

Hi! I don’t have applesauce cuz I always buy it for recipes and then it gets moldy before I can finish it so I end up wasting money…could I use (cow’s) yogurt instead? I don’t have pumpkin either…or maybe just a few tablespoons of water to moisten it up?

120 Tanya July 26, 2011

This looks great! I think I even have all the ingredients (minus vanilla bean)….

121 Kelan August 3, 2011

Two questions:

1) What is millet? And is there a substitute?

2) What kind of apple sauce do you buy?

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

I buy PC applesauce, unsweetened.

Millet info: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=53

123 Marisol May 7, 2012

Loving this recipe, also the bowls. Where are they from?

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 7, 2012

crate and barrel I think?

125 Lauren May 7, 2012

Oh my goodness, THANK YOU for this recipe! I never buy granola anymore because it’s so expensive – and loaded with oil and fat, and I’m trying to clean up my diet. This is officially the perfect granola recipe! I just made a batch and split it up into mason jars – one for the nurse at the school I work in (for Nurse’s Day on Wednesday) and one for my Mom for Mother’s Day. They will both love it! I only wish I made a double batch so I could have some for myself. :) Oh well, I’ll just have to make it again!

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2012

Glad you enjoyed it Lauren!

127 Anne-Michelle Frances July 13, 2012

Hi there — me again! I made this recipe this morning for the kids, and it was delicious! I love the crunch of the millet. I added some coconut flakes to the dry ingredients, and they browned beautifully. The whole tray was gone before I left the house at 8:30am! Can’t wait to try another one tonight!

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2012

You are on a roll! Glad you all enjoyed it! :)

129 Susan July 27, 2012

I don’t know how many times I’ve made this recipe, and I swear it comes out better every time!!

130 Alyson September 13, 2012

I love this granola recipe! I have probably made it about 20 time already with different variations. I just made a fig version the other day :) I give it as gifts to friends/family and always get good reviews! I have passed along your recipe to many people as well. No recipe out there like this one! Thought I would say thank you :)

131 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2012

Thank you so much! So happy to hear that Alyson.

132 Liz September 30, 2012

This is the best ganola recipe of all time. Thank you so much! I had been searching far and wide and nothing even came close to this recipe. I have been using agave syrup instead of brown rice, but just because I had it on hand. I think brown rice syrup will taste better. Also I used maple sugar instead of succant. It’s a fantastic substitution. It really works well with the cinnamon and applesauce. Sometimes I add in some hazlenuts in addition to the almonds. I don’t have almond butter, so I use peanut butter (natural). Lastly, I throw in a handful of mini dark chocolate chips!!! I make this every weekend and eat for breakfast throughout the week. it’s healthy and satisfying.

133 Liz September 30, 2012

Oh! I forgot to say, sometimes I add puffed brown rice instead of millet. Both ways are good

134 Kristie October 24, 2012

I tried this recipe, but halved the portions because I didnt have enough rolled oats left. However I forgot to half the baking time! hahahaha but its okay, I took them out at 15 mins and although the batch is a little crunchy, it tastes great and I’m proud to call it mine. Everyone should try this as soon as they can!

135 Christina January 21, 2013

I have made this four times now. It is so delicious. I experimented with different flavors. I made an almond one by adding more almond extract (probably 1 tbsp or more). I made a pumpkin one by substituting the applesauce for pumpkin. I also tried making one without the brown sugar, but it came out very plain. I added more cinnamon, nutmeg, dried apples and raisins in hopes of brightening it up a little. It still seems bland. I do think that the sugar is an important factor in this recipe.

136 Natalie July 11, 2013

This granola is UNBELIEVABLY good! I have made it twice and love it. Question: do you think I could substitute couscous (not the pearled kind, but the tight little grains) for millet? They are about the same size, and since they mostly provide crunch (I think?) it seems like it should work . . . ?

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2013

Hey Natalie, I don’t think I’ve ever used it in a baking recipe before, so I’m not entirely sure. Please report back if you try it!

138 Sarah March 2, 2014

Just made the granola tonight and added dried cherries and it was amazing!

139 Erica May 25, 2014

Any chance you have a calorie count per serving?

140 Sarah July 25, 2014

Just made this granola and it is INSANELY good. So light and delicious. Added twice and much applesauce and I’m such a fan.

141 Nina V August 2, 2015

I love this granola. I have made this over and over again since you first shared this recipe. It never lasts very long. And the children are always disappointed when it is gone (and plead with me to make more).
I can also report this works brilliantly with sunflower seeds in place of the almonds and homemade sunny butter in place of the nut butter.
In fact, I think I shall make this again tomorrow. :)
Thanks again. N x