Inspired by my 5 minute Almond Butter Chews and PInterest.
- 1 cup flax seeds, ground (or just use pre-ground)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats, ground into flour
- 1/4 cup Sucanat (or other dry sweetener like white sugar), or more to taste
- 1 cup mashed banana (~2 lg.bananas)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, for rolling
- In a blender or spice grinder, grind the flax seeds and rolled oats into a flour like consistency. Alternatively you can use 1 cup ground flax if you do not have whole flax seeds. Add the ground flax & oat mixture along with the cocoa powder and Sucanat (or dry sweetener) to a large bowl. Adjust sweetener to taste.
- In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Scoop the banana onto the flax/oat flour and combine well with a fork or spoon. This process will take several minutes to combine thoroughly.
- With slightly wet hands, shape balls and roll in shredded coconut. Place balls on a parchment lined plate and freeze for 30-60 mins. If freezing for longer, allow to sit on the counter for 5 minutes or so to de-thaw slightly.
I prefer to roll them in sweetened coconut because the flax balls aren’t very sweet and it gives them a nice pop of sweetness on the tongue, however unsweetened coconut works too.
The chopped almonds give them a little crunch too and the cup of flax lends an earthy, nutty flavour with a hint of sweetness. You know what else I love about them? They pack in a ton of healthy Omega oils that aid in glowing skin, hair, and nails. Hence the name, Glowballs. :)