High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

IMG 7655 2   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

This weekend, we went on our first summery hike of the year. The weather was warm and the sun was shining.

It was our first hike of the year that we didn’t think we were going to: 1) freeze to death, or 2) sink 3 feet deep in the mud.

IMG 0739   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

I didn’t even need a jacket!

IMG 0718   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

Yes, I’m one of those hardcore people who lug their big camera on a hike. ;)

IMG 0730   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

It was worth it though! I love taking pictures of nature.

IMG 0732   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad IMG 0737   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

IMG 0751   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

This waterfall pic below was taken using a slower shutter speed (1/20). Slow shutter speeds create flowy and ‘creamy’ looking waterfalls.

IMG 0757   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

This one below was taken using a faster shutter speed (1/400), which creates more individual drops and a broken up look. Cool, eh?

IMG 0764   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

We hiked about 6k and then raced home to devour lunch.

IMG 0789   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

Feature ingredient: strawberries!

IMG 7655   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

I wanted to create a fruit salad with more staying power, one that was high in protein and healthy fats. I thought quinoa would be a fun grain to use in a fruit salad because it is so light in both texture and flavour. It’s also a complete protein source and gluten-free.

I added some protein and calcium-packed almonds along with a lightly sweetened dressing.

Open mouth. Inhale. Repeat.

IMG 7670   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

IMG 7664   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

The fluffy quinoa soaked up the fruity flavour from the berries and dressing, making a party in my mouth. This would make a great fruit salad to bring to a summer BBQ or gathering. It’s also good for a light & summery breakfast or snack.

That is, if you can share after you taste it!

We each gobbled down a couple heaping plates worth and stared in disbelief at the bottom of the empty bowl.

Who stole our fruit salad?!

IMG 7672   High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad

Til next time fruit salad, til next time.

Green Monster Movement Update:

- Looking for Green Monster recipe inspiration? Check out the collection of 280 reader recipes over at GMM! So many great reader stories too.

Tanya June 20, 2011

Please share where that beautiful waterfall is! I live in Ontario too and now I’m on a mission to go there! Lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Hilton Falls :)

Kristen June 20, 2011

I have always wanted to try quinoa…will definitely be using this recipe, it looks great! Love your blog!

Alaina June 20, 2011

I will definitely be making this for an upcoming gathering! I love fruit salads. :-)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 20, 2011

I love having quinoa like this for breakfast. I’ve made something like this with mangos. It was so good. The baslsamic vinegar intrigues me. I bet this tastes good

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 20, 2011

The pictures of the trees and waterfalls are stunning! I’m so jealous of your pretty, fancy camera. :-)
And the quinoa almond berry salad looks oh so delicious!

Jackie June 21, 2011

I absolutely LOVE those waterfall photos! It’s amazing what a difference a setting on a camera makes! Personally, my favorite is the first one. It really does look dreamy! I definitely am going to have to try the Quinoa Almond Berry Salad. All of my favorite things are in it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Thank you!

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts June 21, 2011

Oh wow. Yum! What a great combination of flavours. Even though it’s winter here, I think I might try to re-create this soon :) Let’s hope I can make it work with frozen berries…

Jessica June 21, 2011

I’m originally from Ontario (I recently moved to Australia) and seeing the photos from your hike made me miss home! Beautiful! The quinoa salad looks so delicious! I just made your creamy avocado pasta tonight and it was so yummy. I’m happy I found your blog!!

Molly @ RDexposed June 21, 2011

After giving in to the green smoothies, I feel I should be eating anything and everything that you create. And this just looks beautiful!

Zestful Lou June 21, 2011

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to set up for your “photo shoots” of fruit salad and other yummy things? It always looks lovely.

Ashley June 21, 2011

Where was your hike adventure located? … looks so organic!

ellalinea June 21, 2011

What a great idea! I always wondered how quinoa would go as a breakfast item.. Will try this soooon!

Andrea June 21, 2011

I had plain cous cous for breakfast with tossed in blueberries and strawberriedswarmed with just a bit of maple syrup with magic mix of sprinkles on top ( almonds, sunflower, hemp, chia, flax seeds mixed and ground together) I really enjoyed it.

Jen June 21, 2011

I made this quinoa/fruit delight this morning and had it for breakfast. Added some lemon zest to the dressing, too. OMG it was soooo good!! Thanks for the awesome idea! :)

Lauren June 21, 2011

I’ve never been to Hilton falls – would definitely like to! My dad, sister, and I tend to go to Rattlesnake Point for our hiking around here. Last time, we saw a bunch of people practicing rock climbing there. It’d be nice to see some falls this summer though, provided I can get my eating to a point that allows me to do some actual activity – and your quinoa fruit salad idea sounds like just the thing to help me along. (:
You’re such an inspiration!

Katie June 21, 2011

This salad looks awesome! I have been making the same quinoa salad for a couple weeks and am sooooooo sick of it. I have cooked quinoa in my fridge and I’m going to try this one tonight!

Kerry June 21, 2011

I just put this salad together for a Summer Solstice celebration and it is FANTASTIC! Thank you for your wonderful recipes. More importantly, thank you for being an inspiration to live WHOLLY and FULLY!!!

Rebekah June 21, 2011

made this and the strawberry almond soup for dinner. delish! thanks! do you mind if i post the recipes (with a link to your site) on our family’s recipe blog, greenereating.com?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

Not all all…..go for it!

Kathryn June 22, 2011

Oh my gosh- you have such beautiful scenery out there! I wish I had a waterfall to visit :) Love the salad recipe, too- so fresh and colorful!

Charissa June 22, 2011

Looks super…I love it when salads have lots of protein in them…true to my word, my last salad had quinoa in it, like you inspired me to do! ;)

Sasha June 22, 2011

OMG this salad was AMAZING! My boyfriend couldn’t stop raving about it! I’m looking forward to adding peaches to the mix when they are fresh here in Ontario :)

Laura June 23, 2011

I made this on Tuesday and loved it! My friends loved it as well, and it was gone much too quickly! The cherries were rather expensive, but I’ll definitely be making it again – perhaps with some differents fruits to change it up a bit. Thank you!!!

Melodie June 24, 2011

I am making this tonight for book club… cannot wait to taste it!!

Nini Compartino June 26, 2011

I just made this recipe for next week breakfasts in our house. I can’t stop eating it… it’s just SO good. It’s a keeper, that’s for sure. Thanks Angela for those amazing recipes.

Vivianne June 26, 2011

OH MY GOSH. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED.

I have been looking for a quinoa berry recipe and I just bought all fresh berries today. I’m so excited I can’t even express it to you.

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

enjoy!

Julie July 4, 2011

My friend introduce me to your website. I just started including Quinoa into my diet. This is by far my fav recipe yet!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

glad to hear that! :)

Kelsey July 7, 2011

I’m always looking for new ways to use quinoa, and this is perfect. I love every ingredient in this.

Brooke July 8, 2011

This berry quinoa salad is SOOOOO good! I have been eating it for breakfast and it is the perfect combination of protein and fruit. It easily holds me over until lunch. Now, I just need to buy up all the local, organic berries in central Illinois and freeze them so that I can make this in the winter :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011

So glad you enjoy it Brooke!

I hope to freeze lots of berries too…better get on that stat!

Leanne July 19, 2011

I made the berry quinoa salad (my first time ever cooking or eating quinoa!) last night. It is sooooooooo good! I might use the same basic idea and do some raspberries and peaches instead of the strawberries, cherries and blueberries next time just to change it up. Thank you SO much for posting this recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2011

So glad you enjoyed it Leanne :)

Ruth June 4, 2012

This is so good I can’t stand it. I had to halve the recipe because I didn’t have quite enough berries, and I am staring at an empty bowl in dismay right now. I whizzed up some dried cherries with water and used that to cook the quinoa, which gave another layer of cherry flavour to the salad.

Katie S. June 13, 2012

Can anyone tell me why my quinoa looks tan in color and ‘gloppy’?

Lauren June 18, 2012

Made this for breakfast this morning – DELICIOUS! Will now be a huge morning staple!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Glad to hear that Lauren!

Christy June 22, 2012

This was absolutely amazing!!! Thank you so much for this yummy and super healthy recipe!

Katelyn June 25, 2012

I just made this and before beginning I was a little skeptical of mixing the balsamic with maple syrup but it is absolutely delicious! I would never think to mix quinoa with fruit but I love it! I can’t wait to share it with my family, thanks so much!

Jules July 3, 2012

just wanted you to know I made this for a 4th of july cookout, using raspberries and blackberries in lieu of the blueberries and cherries, and it was AWESOME. fantastic recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2012

Glad to hear that Jules!

Lana July 4, 2012

Do you think agave would work in place of the maple syrup?? I’m about to make this for a 4th of July bbq and don’t have any syrup!! oh no!!

Janie August 4, 2012

I made this using leftover coconut quinoa (using coconut milk, water, and coconut). I used agave nectar instead of the maple syrup. YUMMO! Thanks for posting the recipe. I was getting tired of eating leftover coconut quinoa, so this came at a wonderful time to try it out.

Andrea August 26, 2012

I made this fruit salad yesterday and it is just awesome! The recipe really makes a big bowl, and I am happy for that, lol. I wasn’t sure how the addition of balsamic vinegar would taste with the maple syrup, but it really works. I’ll definately be making this again :) Thanks for the recipe!

Tracy February 27, 2013

I just made this recipe. Unfortunately I did not have all the fresh fruit on hand, but I did have dried blueberries, cherries and cranberries. It turned out delicious. I Can’t wait to try it with the fresh fruit. The dressing is a perfect sweet and savory mix with the balsamic vinegar.

Ashley March 30, 2013

This was absolutely delicious and so refreshing! For the first time, I finally cooked the quinoa to perfection. Everything turned out great.

Page 3 of 4«1234»