Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry-Banana Soft Serve

IMG 6742   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

June must be just around the corner because the rain is finally subsiding to make room for the glorious sun! It’s going to be a scorcher today- about 31C with humidex of about 43C. I say, bring it on. :) It’s been a long time comin’.

Anticipating the heat & humidity, I headed out for a 3 mile run around 6:30am. I’ve been keeping my running mileage low (about 10-12 miles a week) since healing from my sciatic injury. Slow and steady wins the race! I also think yoga is helping a lot. :)

When I got back I gave the veggies a good dose of water before the heat set in. I also moved my herbs into larger pots. Hopefully they will be able to spread their roots a bit more in the bigger pots. Did I mention my dill is already dying? I have no idea what I did wrong! The other herbs are growing very well, but not the dill. Is it a fussy herb or is it just my black thumb?

IMG 6743   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

It was just glistening out there this morning. Birds were chirping. New grass was sprouting. Dandelions were growing at the speed of light.

IMG 6745   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

When I came inside, I was in the mood for a cool and creamy Vegan overnight oat parfait, one of my favourite hot weather breakfasts next to the Green Monster. I haven’t had many parfaits in 2011 because the weather has been so cool and wet, but today was certainly a great morning for one!

IMG 6751   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

Before bed last night, I made a double batch of vegan overnight oats and my personal chef fridge did all the work for me while I slept. I made a double batch as requested by Eric.

Basic Vegan Overnight Oats

Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients:

• 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1.5 cups almond milk
  • 2 heaping tbsp chia seeds (necessary ingredient- soaks up the milk and makes it doughy)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup (optional)
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • Chopped banana (I don’t add this if I’m making a banana soft serve parfait)

Directions: Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and place in fridge overnight, or for 2-3 hours. Stir well before eating.

IMG 0235 thumb   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

[This is an old picture above- I added some carob powder and banana in this photo, which is my favourite combo when I am just eating VOO plain. For step-by-step photos, see this post.]

IMG 6773   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

We had to fight over the third parfait! Eric loves these when I make them with homemade granola. Nice and crunchy.

IMG 6777   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

A scrumptious breakfast that tastes like dessert…yes please!

IMG 6780   Mango Breakfast Parfait with Cherry Banana Soft Serve

I’ll see you tomorrow with a refreshing recipe and a re-cap of my Back on Track month! Boy did May fly by. I’m already thinking about goals for June…

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 31, 2011

I wish I had that mango parfait for breakfast this morning, it looks amazing! SO perfect for this hot weather!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 31, 2011

Those parfaits look to.die.for!

I like the idea of setting goals for each month… I’ll be joining you on that idea :)

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 31, 2011

Looks divine! I can tell summer is arriving because all I want are green monsters now ;) Our garden is a puzzlement as well. Despite the heat, our kale is thriving, while other plants are just barely poking their heads through the dirt!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Our kale is doing good too, but I must say the spinach is outgrowing everything!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 31, 2011

Beautiful shots of the grass! Love the bokeh :)

And nothing could be better than a parfait in this crazy hot weather.

Amber K May 31, 2011

This reminds me of a recipe I saw yesterday. It called for five stuffed peppers and then said it served six. Huh? How is it two servings if there are three glasses? Is there some sort of recipe conspiracy going around to confuse me? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

I doubled the batch of vegan overnight oats….so technically I made two servings. It was in 3wine glasses because they were small and it wouldn’t fit.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons May 31, 2011

Totally my favorite way to eat banana soft serve! I haven’t had fruit in mine yet (and totally will be after this post! yum!) but cannot imagine fruity soft serve without the fab crunch of granola! =) Gorgeous! <3

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 31, 2011

I love mango. In any form. Smoothies, drinks, oats, desserts, parfaits, plain…YUM. You succeeded in making me need to walk across the street and pick up a fresh mango when I finish this comment!

I love the placemat/striped table runner you used in these pics. So pretty and makes everything else just POP!

And of course, cherry banana softserve. Dried or fresh cherries or frozen…like mango…love cherries in any form.

Glad you’re taking it EASY with the running and so happy your injury has healed!!!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Thanks Averie!

Amy May 31, 2011

My darling Canadian counterpart: Where did you find your frozen cherries?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Heh, whole foods….BUT here is the kicker….they only sell sour cherries! Def not as sweet as reg ones….they are ok in soft serve though!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 31, 2011

I would kill to have breakfast at your house – it always looks so decadent! I’m loving mangos right now. The other day I did an avocado-mango smoothie that was incredible – thank you for introducing me to the idea of avocados in smoothies! :)

jenna May 31, 2011

what a perfect summer breakfast! :) i love these parfaits so much!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 31, 2011

Beautiful grass shots!!! And– I’ve been trying to think of something special that I can make for my husband for a “breakfast in bed” birthday breakfast– I think I might have to make one of these partfaits!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Thanks :)

faith @ lovelyascharged May 31, 2011

Those are just gorgeous! I’m so excited that its getting to that time of year for cool, refreshing breakfasts!

Holly May 31, 2011

I’ve always had the best luck with dill starting it from seed – it’s not too late either!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 31, 2011

I’m glad you are getting back into running slowly — it is nice that you are taking care of yourself!

I so wish I had had a parfait for breakfast — these look so refreshing!

Krystina (Organically Me) May 31, 2011

Beautiful!

Julie @ Shining From Within May 31, 2011

those look great! I love morning runs.. they’re so peaceful and I love seeing the world just waking up

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 31, 2011

YUM! this looks so good – and I’m with you …. no-bake options have been on my mind with all this heat the Northeast has been getting!

Kelly @foodiefresh May 31, 2011

I’m helping my husband come back to running from an injurty and we are taking it slow too. Your breakfasts always look so pretty! They make me want to bust out of my ol’ smoothie routine.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 31, 2011

You’ve got me salivating!! Thank goodness for warm weather – and thank goodness for overnight oats on hot days! I had my first overnight oats this year as my breakfast today and it was delicious (annnnd I used the maple butter!!) Yours look delicious!

LizAshlee May 31, 2011

Oh My Gosh that parfait looks AMAZING! I just had a raspberry carob version this morning, w/o the soft serve…I think the soft serve would have made it even tastier! I LOVE breakfast!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 31, 2011

Your parfaits always look so delicious.
I’ve never had trouble with dill, but this is the 2nd year my cilantro is dying on me. Not sure why either!

SAM May 31, 2011

My cilantro and basil always die:(

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 31, 2011

I can’t for the life of me keep dill alive. I grew it last year and after that gave up hopes of growing it again. It seemed no matter what I did, it died. So it’s not just you! I hear dill is a particularly fickle plant.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

That is good to know….poor dill, I love it so much!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat May 31, 2011

Made overnight oats last night, and was so nice just grabbing breakfast out of the fridge this morning. I need to step it up now and try the parfaits since they are just so pretty! Heading to your end of the country next week so I’m looking forward to the warmth :) The overnight oats will be perfect for the little hotel room fridge.

Meredith May 31, 2011

I ate VOO for so long without making them into parfaits, and the parfaits really heighten the whole experience!

Ashley May 31, 2011

I have some fresh cherries that I bought over the weekend, so I’m going to definitely make one of these– I might just blend them fresh! Delicious– but our weather has been so cool, I’m shivering in the house right now! I wonder if we’ll ever get some warm weather and sunshine!

Emily May 31, 2011

Those are so beautiful! And I’m sure they taste as good as they look, if not better! :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat May 31, 2011

That parfait looks delicious! I just started reading my healthy living blogs again, and I had forgotten how amazing (and delicious!) your food pictures look :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Aww thank you!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas May 31, 2011

Parfait-licious! I woke up craving granola & ice cold (almond) milk! After seeing these pictures, I think I’ll have to head to the store & pick up some ingredients asap! I can’t believe it’s June 1 tomorrow too! Tempus Fugit!

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ May 31, 2011

I’ve got to make some VOO, parfait-style! They look scrumptious. I’m not a big breakfast person (only smoothies for some reason) so I’m thinking it would make a tasty mid-afternoon snack!

Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) May 31, 2011

I can’t wait for summer to hit us here too! It’s been a long winter and I’m definitely ready for some sunshine :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 31, 2011

This looks like the perfect breakfast for today! I can’t believe how hot it is out there!

Ruth May 31, 2011

This looks amazing. Perfect for a hot day. I have to make this soon! I’ll have to clear some space in the fridge first though….

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl May 31, 2011

Perfect recipe timing! Last night I cut up my first ever fresh mango (I know…) and had no idea what to do with it! I was going to toss them in with some pineapple for a tropical green monster, but this looks delish!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey May 31, 2011

I have yet to try a VOO + soft-serve parfait. They look soo good though… I think I need to get on it!

being domUnique May 31, 2011

i NEED to get my hands on some Chia Seeds so I can make VOO! They look sooo tasty with the soft serve.

Elle May 31, 2011

Instead of rolled oats can I use Muesli?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Not sure…I can’t see why not?

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 31, 2011

I really need to get my hands on some cherries – I love the idea of a parfait instead of choosing a smoothie or oats – this is the best of both worlds!

Heather (heathers dish) May 31, 2011

I agree, it’s been too cold lately to really do the parfait thing but this week that’s changing!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 31, 2011

Time for me to start using my overnight cookie dough for parfaits!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 31, 2011

It’s a little too cold for parfait breakfasts over here, but they’re definitely still fantastic for post-workouts in the afternoons! This one looks fabulous :)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 31, 2011

that looks so wonderful and perfect for summer!

Page 1 of 3123»