The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 8, 2011

IMG_4147-2

I love cereal and I often have a bowl for a snack, but I never find that it does a good job filling me up. Because of this I rarely have cereal for breakfast, assuming that I am going to be hungry in an hour.

Every morning Eric eats a gigantic bowl of Nature’s Path Spelt cereal, chia seeds, and raisins that holds him over for 4-5 hours. I have cereal envy! If I can make it happen, I just may have to design my own custom cereal.

So, this morning I set on a mission to do justice to the cereal bowl…

My mission was to create a bowl of cereal that had the following elements:

• High in protein (over 25 grams)
  • High in fibre (over 15 grams)
  • Good dose of Omega healthy fats
  • Antioxidants
  • Fruit
  • Super Crunchy texture
  • Light sweetness and an array of flavours

Is it possible? And would it hold me over all morning long?

IMG_4167

The first thing I did was make a list of the foods that I wanted to include:

• Nature’s Path Spelt Cereal (love this cereal because it’s 100% spelt flour and just 4 grams sugar per serving)
  • Raw Buckwheat Groats- For the crunch, protein/fibre + other nutrients
  • Eden Organic Soy Milk– I’ve been using this lately for breakfast because it has 12 grams protein per cup! It is also organic, no additives, and uses non-GMO beans. With that said it doesn’t taste great because I got the unsweetened variety.
  • Vega Choc-o-lot Protein Powder– I had the fun idea of sprinkling some of my favourite protein powder onto the cereal for an extra vitamin and protein boost.
  • Fruit– For light sweetness, texture, and nutrients (Today I used strawberries, kiwi, and raisins)
  • Homemade granola– for the insane crunch!
  • Sweetened Shredded Coconut– just a pinch on top for sweetness, aroma, and flavour
  • Chia seeds– Antioxidants, protein, fibre, healthy fats, calcium, iron, etc.

IMG_4162

[print_this]

High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

Staple Ingredients:

• 1 cup Nature’s Path Spelt cereal (or cereal of choice)
  • 1/4 cup buckwheat groats (soaked overnight, drained, rinsed) *See note below
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2-1 teaspoon (not tbsp like I wrote prior) chocolate protein powder (I used Vega choc-o-lot)
  • 1.25 cup high-protein non-dairy milk (I used Eden organic soy with 12 grams PRO per cup)

Before I even poured the bowl, I calculated the nutrition info to see if it was where I wanted it to be. After a couple tweaks, I was able to come up with one powerhouse cereal bowl.

Nutritional Info Per basic Bowl (above):

• 532 kcals
  • 15 grams fat (1 gram sat fat, mostly healthy fats)
  • 222 mg sodium
  • 75 grams carbs
  • 15 grams fibre
  • 9 grams sugar (cereal and protein powder)
  • 28 grams protein

Now add on your desired toppings!

I added:

• ~ 1/2 tbsp Raisins
  • ~1 tbsp Granola (I used my favourite granola)
  • A pinch of Sweetened coconut shreds
  • Fruit to equal 1/2 cup (I used 3 strawberries and 1/2 kiwi)

Buckwheat Note: Apparently, raw buckwheat groats can cause GI discomfort in some people Please proceed with caution when using! Toasted buckwheat (Kasha) might be a better option for some.

[/print_this]

IMG_4132

The chocolate protein powder was fun! I’ve never had it on cereal before but I loved the chocolaty and sweet flavour it brought to this bowl.

IMG_4136

IMG_4147

I also loved the combination of chia seeds, protein powder, soy milk, spelt flakes, and buckwheat. The chia seeds created a doughy VOO mixture at the bottom of the bowl that I loved. This was probably one of the most satisfying bowls of cereal I have had in a while. It was SO flavourful and had so many amazing textures!

IMG_4165

But how long will it hold me over? I have my doubts, but time will tell. I’ll be sure to report my findings. :)

Are you a cereal fan?

Page 3 of 3«123
Lou April 8, 2011 at 6:39 pm

oh i love cereal. i was JUST about to have mine haha. but i never had my bowl with so many ingredients before! usually a bowl of plain cereal can hold me till lunch :)
but i love mixing 2-3 kinds of cereals together, gives more taste and surprise.. i love to snack on Quaker Oatmeal Squares!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 8, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Can’t wait to see how long it holds you over – I’m a cereal addict, but it never fills me up! :)

Kathy April 8, 2011 at 7:40 pm

I use to eat cereal every morning, but then I started to eat oatmeal because it’s healthier.
Does anybody know what I could use instead of chia seeds? My local store doesn’t carry any :(

Leslie Paquette April 9, 2011 at 6:37 am

You can order chia seeds online. It’s usually cheaper that way too. Try iherb.com

Hilary April 8, 2011 at 8:02 pm

For me, cereal is more of an accessory than the main event. That looks like quite the bowl of cereal, you’ve got pretty high standards!

Jen (The Best Kitchen) April 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I love cereal too, specially with fruits :)

Elle April 8, 2011 at 9:09 pm

Wow! That is a lot of calories for a single sitting… you MUST have been full till noon at least. It does look tasty though. Lovely photos, too.

Cereal doesn’t stick to my ribs; neither does oatmeal. Quinoa works a bit better.

If I eat grains for breakfast, I always count on a morning snack.

Alaina April 8, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I do love cereal but I’m just like you where I have it mostly as a snack. And usually it’s a late night snack of Puffins before I go to bed. :-) I love how colorful yours is!

Lynna April 8, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Beautiful photos as always; they’re really making me crave cereal!!

Megan April 8, 2011 at 10:44 pm

I’m a huge cereal fan and this breakfast looks absolutely delicious! I love the beautiful colours.
By the way, I really like your site, I could browse through it all day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2011 at 8:20 am

thanks!

Hannah April 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I LOVE LOVE CEREAL!! This post made me so happy. I’m so excited to try this recipe.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts April 9, 2011 at 12:22 am

I love cereal so much that I have allocated myself a cereal shelf, and when it is full, I am not allowed to buy any more until I finish a box :P I love it at just about any time of day, and by itself or mixed with fruit / yoghurt / soy milk / anything.

I’m also a sucker for buying new cereals (well, if they’re not sugar-loaded and the taste appeals) just because they’re new. Sometimes those turn out to be a fail and the boxes languish on my shelf for way too long, taking up valuable cereal space, but the appeal of a ‘new’ sticker in the supermarket is just too big to ignore. One day I might learn!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 9, 2011 at 1:40 am

I absolutely love cereal, but tend to eat oats more often as they are more satisfying. I have cereal for snacks pretty often though :) I think I could munch through a whole box in one day!

Anne-Marie April 9, 2011 at 6:26 am

I love cereal too! I wouldn’t try this one though, as the calories would be enough for 2 or more meals for me (I eat lots, I just eat more often). I find my eggs and oatmeal are as much as I can eat at once anyways, I would hesitate to eat more volume. Darn it, as I love how creative you are and how much you love food, flavour, texture and nutrition!!!

Leslie Paquette April 9, 2011 at 6:35 am

Mmm, that looks delicous. I haven’t tried the spelt cereal yet, might have to pick up a box next time I’m out. The glass jar you have your chia seeds in looks just like mine! Is it from IKEA? ~Leslie

maya @ finding balance in tokyo April 9, 2011 at 6:57 am

That is one of the prettiest bowls of cereal I’ve ever seen. Especially the picture with the pouring milk.

Cereal doesn’t hold me over at all, so I don’t have it often. I’ve been toying with the idea of mixing my own like you do here, but haven’t quite gotten to it yet. I love spelt and anything spelt based, too bad I can’t get that nature’s path cereal here. I’d love to try it out!

Sonia @ Food Obsessed April 9, 2011 at 7:24 am

I am a HUGE cereal fan, and this bowl looks absolutely fantastic. I had no idea buckwheat groats could be consumed raw. I will have to give it a try. Then maybe I can add them to my own home made cereal. I always make this huge batch with all sorts of different grains about once a month and am always open to new ideas as to what to include in my recipe. That raw buckwheat is a serious contender, let me tell you. So is your Spelt cereal. I always use all-bran, but this looks so much better! :)

Andrea Muzzatti April 9, 2011 at 7:47 am

Angela,
I’m not really into food photography, but I have to say, the first picture of your cereal in this post blew me away!!! And that’s saying something, as I usually don’t give a hoot about photos. It was so clear and crisp, and the colors were vibrant, and I love how the milk was pouring in the center! Amazing!!! The picture looked delicious…if that makes any sense!

[email protected] helper! April 9, 2011 at 8:13 am

I LOVE cereal! But like you….it doesn’t fill me up! I could literally eat 5 bowls of cereal and not get full! I usually make a green monster if I want cereal because then I am getting some protein and fat and I can use the cereal as a topping for some crunch! But with this recipe I think I will actutally be able to eat cereal for breakfast! And this bowl is so pretty btw….I love all the colors and textures….beautiful pics girl!

Melissa Garcia Koel April 9, 2011 at 8:44 am

Hi Angela, I was wondering if there is a sort of basic recipe you follow for making cakes or muffins, mostly in terms of dry/wet proportions, amount of baking powder, eggs (chia ones!), oil and flour and maybe minimum amount of sugar/sweetener. I was raised baking cakes with 200 g butter, 200 g flour and 200 g sugar, but that no longer works for me, so hope you can help me with some kind of (healthy) guideline!
Thanks! Melissa

imwaytoobusy April 9, 2011 at 9:43 am

Oh, I have a weakness for cereal. If this kept you full, I hope you’ll let us know. Nothing ever ties me over for the morning! I included you in my “Blogs I Love” post this morning: http://bit.ly/feySIa – You truly are one of the best!

Seglare April 10, 2011 at 6:28 am

It’s funny how different we people are. :) I find that mysli + soy yoghurt (specially if “soaked” overnight) holds me over best, but cereal is a close second. I usually eat this quinoa cereal, which has a good amount of fiber and protein: http://www.urtekram.com/productdetails1/prodcat//1115/quinoa_flakes_organic_375_g/ – and add some seeds and fresh berries or fruit for sweetness.

I hardly ever eat oatmeal in the morning, because I find that I’m hungry again in an hour when I do. I wonder why this happens, as so many people seem to find oatmeal the most satisfying breakfast food..? :)

By the way, beautiful picture of your cereal!

Brenda April 10, 2011 at 8:22 am

I love cereal too but I have the same problem. I eat it as a snack. I was shocked at the amount of carbs in your cereal bowl! Don’t you think that is way too much carbs for breakfast?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 10, 2011 at 9:43 am

No I don’t think that is too many carbs, especially when you look at the proportion of fat/fibre/and protein along with it. I think that is a balanced bowl. I workout in the morning and the carbs are burned off all day long. Carbs are not a bad thing…especially when whole grain. :)

Katrina April 11, 2011 at 11:56 am

Great cereal! I love spelt cereal, and am excited to change it up. Thanks!

Maria April 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Great way to start the day!

Lisa March 20, 2017 at 9:47 am

This looks AMAZING and I, too, love cereal. I am inspired by your site and your food philosophy. I have adopted a plant based diet over the past 6 months but have noticed that I have trouble keeping my weight in check. I started tracking my food and saw that I was eating an inordinate amount of fat (even though it was good) and carbohydrates. The calories are higher than anything I have previously eaten. I exercise 4 days a week. Any suggestions as to how I can keep weight in check and incorporate this amazing cereal and the avocado pasta on a weekly basis…?