3 Ingredient Homemade Chocolate Covered Raisins

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 17, 2010

Hello, there!

BIG THANKS to those of you who have already donated some items/services for Shop 4 A Cause 2! I am constantly blown away by your generosity. Amazing. I have a feeling this auction is going to be awesome! I am going to put together my big gift bag tonight. I’m sure I have some books, clothing, nicknacks, etc that can go to a good home! :biggrin: This is going to be fun! I had such a blast doing it last year and I know this year will be the same.

But for now, back to my chocolate cliffhanger.

IMG_7173

:ninja:

Last night, we were both craving CHOCOLATE like Willy Wonka and I dreamed up these easy chocolate-covered raisins for dessert. When the birthday belly speaks, I shall listen.

When I was little, I used to be obsessed with Glosette Raisins! You know, in the purple box?

33-raisins-au-chocolat-p

[Source]

So glossy. So chocolaty.

Raisins + chocolate is a magical mixture. A match so divine, I had to ask myself why I have never made any before.

IMG_7172

3 Ingredient Homemade Chocolate-Covered Raisins

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use organic because it tastes so much better!)
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (it really thins out the chocolate and makes it easy to coat)
  • Approx 1.5 cups raisins

Directions: Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a medium sized bowl and heat for approx. 1 minute on high in the microwave. Stir very well until all clumps are gone. Now take the raisins, 1/2 cup at a time and stir into the chocolate. Pour raisin mixture onto a large plate lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Place in freezer to firm for about 5-10 minutes. Break apart the raisins with fingers and serve! Keep leftovers in the fridge.

IMG_7158

Boom.

IMG_7164

Husband confessional: This was the first time he has ever enjoyed chocolate and raisins together. He likes chocolate and he likes raisins, but until last night, he never liked them combined. Now he does and my job here is complete.

The taste was very similar to the purple box. Addicting. Dangerous. I had to slap my own hand to stop eating!

They also make your fingers all chocolaty just like the Glosettes. Hours later, you will look in the mirror and find chocolate smeared on your cheek, nose, and chin.

IMG_7185 (2)

Down girl!

IMG_7184 (2)

It’s that time again for some great health links from the past week…

Health News Round Up:

Around The Blog World:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some chocolate-covered birthday raisins calling my name.

Page 2 of 2«12
Susan May 18, 2010 at 7:22 am

Dearest Angela, I will now forever be in your debt for introducing me to homemade glosettes. Simply amazing ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 18, 2010 at 7:42 am

These look amazing! I love the combo of chocolate + coconut, so think I might try coating them with coconut flakes. :D

Nikki T May 18, 2010 at 10:19 am

Yummmm…..I might just make those tonight!!
What can I use instead of coconut oil (I don’t have any and I’m not sure where to find it in Edmonton or Sherwood Park!!)

PS- Happy Belated Birthday!!
PPS- I’m so sad I’m going to miss your Shop for a Cause II…I will be in Vegas!

Alina May 18, 2010 at 10:59 am

This is genius!!

Erin May 18, 2010 at 11:08 am

Genius! Now I totally want some chocolate covered raisins, right now.

Sam (My Sugar Obsession) May 18, 2010 at 11:18 am

almond milk! i tried it a couple months ago and hated it, but now i love it. it makes green monsters so creamy!

[email protected] May 18, 2010 at 11:59 am

I will definitley be making these tonight! I just remembered I have some dried raisins and cranberries plus white chocolate! I can’t wait to make some. Coconut is a great idea too. Thanks Angela

Courtney May 19, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I have had trouble finding coconut oil at the store and have been banned from Whole Foods until my next paycheck… any ideas for a substitute?? Sounds like just melting chocolate won’t quite cut it and these look SOOOOOOOOO amazing!!! Great idea, thanks for sharing :)

courtney May 24, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Your picture should be in the dictionary next to the word GENIUS because seriously, these are the most amazing (and easy!) thing I have had in a long time. I made a double batch; good thing because they won’t last long! The boyfriend also sends his deepest gratitude.

Mae Bryan June 3, 2010 at 12:28 am

I couldn’t find any raisins, so I used almonds and peanuts, and these were amazing! I also only had Lindt 99% dark chocolate. I bought it a few months ago, but it was too bitter for me, so I was saving it in my freezer. It was great for this recipe, and it was my first time cooking with coconut oil. Thank you!

Kim June 7, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I just made these (with coconut butter instead of oil and with a Trader Joe’s Organic Super Dark Chocolate Bar) and WOW – SO good and SO easy – who would’ve thought? Thanks!

Alicia May 3, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Great recipe! I substituted candied cherries for the raisins. Thanks for the idea of using the coconut oil.

star November 27, 2012 at 3:14 pm

chocolate covered raisins have always been my favorite they are awesome but I never made them at home but I want to I am eating the ones from girlscouts yes I go to girlscouts but the chocolate covered raisins to make at home sounds awesome yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!

Nicki Woo September 22, 2013 at 10:02 am

When these are room temp, is the chocolate still firm? I’m asking because I’d like to send them in a lunchbox, just wondering if they’ll stand up? Thanks!!!

Julia February 8, 2014 at 12:02 pm

I’ve been making something like this for a few months now! I usually just melt a bar of unsweetened chocolate! I’m trying to avoid dairy and processed sugar for my son, so these are perfect! The coconut oil helps! and it can be added to 1 ingredient Banana Ice Cream or cookies!

Ella June 11, 2014 at 11:01 pm

I made a trial run of these yesterday and OMG they are almost all gone. I was looking for a recipe that I could bring to a friend’s party this Friday- I’m the only vegan so she suggested I bring a snack and there will be two girls in attendance with nut, dairy and soy allergies. I used Enjoy Life (how great is that company?!) chocolate chips and everyone will be able to enjoy this treat! Thank you SO much, Angela!
youtube.com/user/sparklesandsuch26

thela January 3, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Can I re-cover milk chocolate-covered raisins with dark bitter chocolate (double coat) as
I hate milk chocolate and was given 10#–by mixing dark and some salt over them, maybe??????

Roberta April 26, 2018 at 3:08 pm

I’m a shut-in and only have Canola oil and olive oil in the house. Which should I use instead of the coconut oil?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2018 at 10:18 am

Hey Roberta, Oh that’s a good question! I’m sorry I haven’t tried it with a different oil before, but if you do I’d love to hear how it goes :)