Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

easyquinoasaladveganblackbean 7359   Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

Recipe creation is a funny thing. There are those moments when no amount of testing produces the result I’m looking for. I’ll put so much work into a recipe, only to have it fall short after hours (or days) of work. Vegan baked goods are notorious for being fussy at times, especially when trying to make something wholesome without sacrificing flavour. I usually toss the recipe into my reject pile, in case I’m ever crazy enough to dig it out. Sometimes I am. Other times, I don’t want anything to do with it. ever. again.

Then there are moments, like this salad recipe, that come together effortlessly. With no real plan or guide, I just follow my instincts and taste buds. That’s the best kind of recipe! Summer dishes shine like this which is why I love creating new dishes this time of the year. Things are more simple and the fresh ingredients speak for themselves.

On Friday, we were rushing to get out the door for a weekend at the in-laws and I had a small window of opportunity to throw some food together. I usually try to bring a big batch of Vegan overnight oats, some snacks like hummus and crackers and fruit, and a hearty grain and bean salad. Booze, to balance it all out. Thankfully, I had some cooked quinoa in the fridge and then from there I pulled out a few ingredients from the crisper, decided on an overall flavour, and then whisked together a simple dressing to pour on top.

Black beans. Quinoa. Green onions. Carrots. Cilantro. Cumin. Lime. Love.

easyquinoasaladveganblackbean 7395   Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

Oh, and don’t forget to shoot some quick photos before throwing it into a container and flying out the door!!

Fresh. Delicious. Ready in the amount of time it takes to cook a batch of quinoa. I’ll take it!

easyquinoasaladveganblackbean 74251   Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

If you’re looking for a simple salad to prepare for a road trip, picnic, or just a light lunch, I hope you’ll give this a try! I like to make it the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I have a few more family gatherings this week due to some very special visitors and I already plan on making it at least two more times this week. What can I say, when I like something I want to make it all the time.

vegansaladquinoa   Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad

Email, text, or print this recipe

Makes 6.5 cups (or serves 4)

For the salad:

• 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 3 cups cooked)
  • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
  • 1.5 cups cilantro, finely chopped
  • 3 small/medium carrots, julienned (about 1.5 cups) OR 1 large chopped and roasted sweet potato
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste

For the dressing:

• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

1. To prepare the quinoa: Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Add into pot along with 1.5 cups water or veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, and then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 15-17 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat and steam with the lid on for 5 additional minutes. Fluff with fork and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cilantro, carrots (or roasted sweet potato), and green onions.

3. Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl or jar. Pour onto salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I prefer to enjoy this salad chilled, so I usually throw it into the fridge for at least an hour. This is a great make-ahead salad too – prep it the night before and let it sit in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

easyquinoasaladveganblackbean 7401   Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad (quick + easy!)

Another thought – this would also be fantastic with diced avocado and/or mango! Summer tomatoes too. Have fun playing around with the recipe…it’s a good one to adapt.

Sharon July 23, 2013

This sounds delicious! Cumin is a favourite of mine:)

Ksenija @ Health Ninja July 23, 2013

Oh, wow, this one looks like a filling salad! I’ve been searching for something like that since the unbearable heat over here in Germany makes it impossible to eat something else in the office but a salad.

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health July 23, 2013

The pictures look gorgeous considering you took them on the way out the door!
I’m just started to try to develop recipes on my own and it’s so much harder and more frustrating than I could have ever imagined.
I love the simplicity of this salad. It’s kind of similar to one you’ve made before that I’ve made several times and love, so I know it’s good!

Emily - It comes naturally July 23, 2013

Mmm, cumin is probably my favourite spice! I don’t use it enough. I know what I’ll be having for lunch tomorrow!
I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who has recipe ‘disasters’ :-)

Alexandra @ Lean Green Healthy Machine July 23, 2013

I can only imagine how perfectly that dressing compliments the dish! Such wonderful summery flavors to make a filling, yet not too heavy meal. My relatives just might be seeing this at the next family get together :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } July 23, 2013

What an amazing flavor combination! Such a perfect summer salad.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat July 23, 2013

What a beautiful salad! It’s so summery and I love the combination of flavors.

Jessica @ conveganence July 23, 2013

I love the combination of cumin and lime! And the grated carrot on the top is so pretty :) I agree with you re: vegan baked goods. A while ago, I wanted to make a vegan pink lemonade cake and I had to make (and throw out) 2 different cakes before I finally came up with something decent. Salads and dressings are much easier…with fresh ingredients you know which flavors really pop together and you can build on that.

Shalini July 23, 2013

This looks great. Can the oil be left out for an oil free option?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

You probably could, but you’d have to rework the dressing a bit (likely add more sweetener to make up for the zip of the lime juice)

Averie @ Averie Cooks July 23, 2013

I love cumin! It’s one of those spices that reminds me of my childhood. My mom used a lot of it and I love the addition of lime and with the beans. Mmmm. I bet this is tasty and it looks so hearty & healthy!

Lauren @ The Highlands Life July 23, 2013

Love this, especially because it can be made ahead. This would be perfect for work lunches!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} July 23, 2013

Quinoa and black beans are two of my favorite things! That dressing sounds light and summery as well. Love salads in the summer.

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green July 23, 2013

Recipe development is a tricky thing. It can go so right, or so so wrong. Baking is so much more difficult for me than cooking. Cooking comes so easy to me and I have no problem pairing ingredients and flavors. Baking.. is a whole other story. It is like a science experiment, and it is so much harder to get the perfect recipe when you are subbing vegan ingredients.

Stephanie L July 23, 2013

I do something really similar with avocado, roasted corn and halved cherry tomatoes added. The dressing however is completely different and this one sounds amazing…hmmm, cumin is one of my faves! Looking forward to making this!

Anne-Marie van Benthum July 23, 2013

This sounds awesome! Thank you for this great recipe (and all your other recipes)!

Amy July 23, 2013

I agree with Lauren. This is definitely going to be my work lunch for a few days next week. Thank you for my future yummy lunches.

Amelia July 23, 2013

This is perfect! I was trying to think of what to make for lunch today with what little is in my fridge and cupboard… but I have all of this! Thanks Angela. :)

Amelia July 23, 2013

This was soooooo good! I saved leftovers and tomorrow I’m going throw some mango and avocado on there. :)

Stacy July 23, 2013

Yummy! You can’t go wrong with quinoa and black beans :) Thanks for sharing!

Laura July 23, 2013

I definitely need to try this :)

taylor @ taylormade July 23, 2013

yum — this looks like the perfect summer salad and now I’m craving it for lunch. I bet the carrots give it a perfect sweet crunch. and quinoa, black beans, and cilantro are always winning ingredients in my book!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 23, 2013

Looks delicious! Cumin and lime pair so well together! I always use them when I make mexican inspired dishes!

Julia Kent July 23, 2013
Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com July 23, 2013

Gorgeous looking salad!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance July 23, 2013

I could not agree more with the frustrating side of vegan recipe creation. Over the weekend I made a lemon cake with raspberry coconut cream frosting and everything tasted perfect except for the cake’s consistency was off. The coconut cream frosting also had an odd sweetness to it. Instead of throwing my scribbled recipe away, I switched up the ingredients, nixed the frosting and came up with a pretty amazing flourless lemon cake!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar July 23, 2013

I love the sound of this! Awesome idea!

christina July 23, 2013

Wow, just made this….so yummy and satisfying….making the almond butter cups this afternoon. Thanks for great recipes:))))

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for trying it out :)

Andrew @ One Ingredient Chef July 23, 2013

Quinoa salads are great, but the problem is the dressings… Most quinoa recipes lack any real sauce or dressing and end up quite boring. The flavors of your cumin/lime dressing and the ingredients in the salad sound so good together — I can’t wait to try this combo!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

Thanks Andrew- hope you enjoy it!

Ashley July 23, 2013

Do you think swapping out the black beans for lentils would be an okay substitution?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

Sure, why not! Black lentils might be a nice addition in particular because I love their slightly crunchy texture and they hold together very well.

Hannah July 23, 2013

I’m back in Toronto now. You should fly out to visit me. xoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

I saw you are back!! promise I’m not stalking you on instagram ;) Hope to see you soon

Marissa@ohhhsolovely July 23, 2013

that combination of ingredients sounds awesome!

Fletcher, Rohrbaugh, & Chahine July 23, 2013

Anything with black beans and lime and salad, I will definitely try. I love them in combinations for summer. Thanks for sharing! It’s next on my list.

Beth Mead July 23, 2013

Great salad! I’ll make this today after a quick trip to the farmer’s market. Fresh sweet corn may make an appearance too!
I’ve made about six or seven of your recipes, Angela, and I’ve loved them all! Thank you so much, not only for these amazing dishes, but for being an inspiration on being healthy and happy:)

(Just made the Raw Almond Butter Cups last night…they are almost gone already!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2013

Hey Beth, So happy to hear the recipes are being enjoyed so much! That makes me a happy girl. :)

McKel Hill, MS, RD, LDN | Nutrition Stripped July 23, 2013

Love quick and easy recipes, especially involving cumin, beans, and quinoa! ;)

Emma July 23, 2013

Oooh this reminds me of that tasty quinoa black bean mango salad from Veganomicon which I love so much and had actually planned to make tomorrow :) Your pics are so pretty, I especially love that pouring shot.

Allie July 23, 2013

This looks absolutely beautiful – I’m going to try it tonight with the avocado you mention at the end. I’m in love with your Green Monsters, too, by the way. Thanks for all you do on this site – I’m constantly inspired to try new recipes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2013

Thanks Allie, I appreciate it :) hope u enjoy the salad!

Nicole Marie Story July 23, 2013

The picture of your food resembles the quinoa salad available at Trader Joe’s but a million times more fresh, clean, and delicious looking. I can only wish to create such a dish, so I shall live vicariously through your pictures and keep buying my lame version at TJ’s. Your talent is incredible. Thank you for sharing!

Rebecca R July 23, 2013

This is EXACTLY how I make your black bean avocado lime salad! (I make the dressing differently, just lime cumin olive oil, salt, plus garlic and shallots). I started adding quinoa to make it something a little more than just beans. Love it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 23, 2013

This sounds so good Ange! I’m on a huge lime and cilantro kick right now, and this dressing sounds perfect. Sometimes the best recipes come as a result of not having a plan at all, and I think that’s why I tend to opt for salad creations most often. It’s hard to go wrong with all that colour!

Jane July 23, 2013

This sounds delicious! Such a great combination of flavours, and so filling! Can’t wait to try this salad!

Kristina @Run and Assimilate July 23, 2013

This looks so delicious and simple as well!

Stacey July 24, 2013

I made this earlier today for dinner tonight and it is delicious! I bet it tastes even better tonight once all the flavors meld. The only substitution I made was using red onion because I didn’t have any green onion on hand. I’m so glad I doubled the recipe so we can have leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Will definitely make this again!

Page 1 of 41234»