Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 5704   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

This week, the first sign of flowers and leaves put me into full Spring mode. My meals have been fresher than ever and I’m feeling on fire energy wise.

It’s about time!

IMG 0369 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

The hot yoga sessions are also helping tremendously. (Thank you, by the way, for your great comments yesterday.) I’ve been to 4 hot yoga sessions now and you could pretty much say that I’m addicted. But, more on that later.

IMG 0362 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

[We need to mow the lawn and weed the garden! eek…it begins]

Yesterday, I was craving an old favourite- the Protein Power Goddess Bowl that I adapted from The Coup Cookbook. I’ve been smitten with this salad since I made it last year and the tahini-Lemon dressing is just to die for!

IMG 5688   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

My mission yesterday was simple: To lighten up this salad for Spring.

I wouldn’t call this salad heavy per say, but I was never crazy about the 1/2 cup of olive oil that the original recipe calls for. I knew with a bit of work, I could create a lighter Tahini dressing that would taste just as tempting as the original.

IMG 5703   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

print this recipe!

Adapted from Protein Power Goddess Bowl, which was adapted from The Coup Cookbook.

Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked green lentils (yield 2 & 3/4 cups cooked)
  • 1 cup uncooked speltberries (yield 2 cups cooked) OR grain of choice, like brown rice for GF option
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil, for sautéing
  • 1/2 red onion (~1 & 1/3 cups), chopped
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 3 cups spinach or kale, roughly chopped (I used Lacinato kale)
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 batch of Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing (recipe below)
  • Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
  • Lemon Wedges & lemon zest, to garnish

Directions:

1. Cook lentils and speltberries (or grain of choice) according to package directions. I did this the night before to save time. Drain and set aside.

2. Prepare the Lightened Up tahini-Lemon dressing in food processor (see below for recipe).

3. In a large skillet over low-medium heat, add your olive oil and sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic for a few minutes, being careful not to burn. Now add in the chopped red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7-8 minutes.

4. Stir in the chopped kale or spinach and sauté for another few minutes, just until tender. Stir in the full batch of tahini-Lemon dressing, the cooked & drained grains and lentils, and simmer on low for another few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the minced parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with lemon wedges and zest. Makes 6 cups.

IMG 5005   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Lightening up the Tahini-Lemon dressing was a huge success! I cut down the oil by 75% and the dressing still tasted wonderful.

Here are the changes I made to the lightened up version:

• I added another garlic clove (to make 3) (to add more flava!)
  • I added 2-3 more tbsp water (to thin it out more)

I was worried the taste would be compromised but it was just as addicting like I remembered. Even if you don’t want to make this lentil salad, you could always make the dressing and use it for salads all week long. It is truly one of my most loved homemade dressings to date.

IMG 5024 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Once you cook your desired grains and make the dressing, you simply sauté some vegetables of your choice until tender.

IMG 5669   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Yesterday, I added Lacinato Kale instead of spinach and I loved it! It’s less bitter than regular kale.

IMG 5679   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl IMG 5680   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Mix in your grains and dressing.

IMG 5682   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl IMG 56881   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

When it’s all cooked, remove from heat and stir in the minced Parsley for another kick of fresh flavour.

IMG 5684   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Taste test… Uncontrollably!

IMG 5690   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Serve with a lemon wedge and zest and you have yourself a protein and fibre packed dinner! It’s creamy & comforting, with a tangy kick that is just irresistible.

This will definitely be my go-to version of this salad from now on. We didn’t miss the 6 tablespoons of oil at all.

IMG 5706   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Have a good one!

jeny May 12, 2011

i am young pup when it comes to eating naturally and healthy. i’m interested in this recipe however concerned with two questions … 1. how well does this salad store? i’m the only one in my family eating this way. 2. do you eat this warm or cold? leftovers warm or cold? … silly questions i know.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I would guess that it would keep for 3-5 days. You could also cut the batch in half if you wanted just 3 cups. I eat it both cold and warm. It is excellent fresh out of the skillet though. I do have it for lunch cold sometimes too and it is good!

Davina March 30, 2013

Jeny,
I hope you are still eating healty. I’m in the same situation as you. It’is a challenge when the rest of the family is not onboard, but don’t give up. My neice (the vegetarian who still eats a lot of white flour and sugar products) has expressed an interest in trying raw kale, so I’m going to make Angela’s kale salad (with added spinach). If she likes it, I’ll progress to this dish. Good luck with your efforts, hope the family catches on.

Julie @ Shining From Within May 12, 2011

I have been eyeing up this recipe for awhile and the lightened up versiom is just what I was looking for! Def making tonight mmm :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 12, 2011

I love all of the colors, and the fiber and protein make it a great meal!

rawkinmom May 12, 2011

that dressing sounds so yummy!!! I just bought tahini yesterday!! I also love kale and we grow it in our garden!!! So yummy!!!

kaila @ healthy helper! May 12, 2011

Major droool happening right now! Lentils and spelt/wheat berries are two of my favorite foods! I love the color and nutrition of this dish……aaaah it looks so good!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 12, 2011

Ooh yum this dressing sounds heavenly! I hadn’t tried putting tahini in salad dressing until just a little while ago but it is SO tasty! Gorgeous photos Ange – the colours have got me in a spring mood too, even though it’s not looking overly sunny out today! PS. You’re turning into a hot yoga holic!! I bet you’ll be showing me up next time! Do they know you by name yet? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

haha they know me as the girl with the intro pass that never swipes properly maybe! lol

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 12, 2011

I can’t wait to try this! I make your original a couple of times per month and I’m happy to be able to lighten it up a bit! We’ve gotta get our bods ready for the summer right!?!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 12, 2011

That salad looks so fresh and vibrant — I just love the colors. I am definitely in Spring mode as well!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 12, 2011

That dressing sounds fab!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 12, 2011

“Light” is exactly what I need today! It is so HOT out!! That dressing sounds so so good, it sounds like somethihg that is going to become very versatile in my kitchen!

Samantha Angela May 12, 2011

I love dishes like this. This week I made something similar with quinoa. I also tossed in a huge bunch of fresh herbs (savory, mint, and basil) and lemon and orange juice and zest. Delicious!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 12, 2011

Yum! That dish looks like it would be scrumptious! I need to make it asap!

Kelly @foodiefresh May 12, 2011

I have SO much kale and spinach right now from my CSA — this looks like a lovely way to use some of it :)

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 13, 2011

Agreed! I need to use up this kale from the farmer’s market, and this recipe sounds like just the ticket.

Suzanne May 12, 2011

This looks so good. I’m not a big fan of parsley, do you think cilantro would work as a substitute?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I’m not sure…Im sitting here trying to taste the flavour combos in my head! I would portion a small serving out of the skillet and then add a bit of minced cilantro to see if you like it first.

Katie December 19, 2012

I’m like a year and a half late on this, I know, but I finally made my own version of this last night with what I had lying around the house. That mean subbing quinoa for spelt berries (definitely worked, but I’m going to buy spelt next time just for the texture), and cilantro for parsley since one of my chickens got out and ate all my parsley. I think parsley would be divine, but I really liked the cilantro, too! Then again, I’m a big cilantro lover. So, yes, it does work (in my opinion).

DessertForTwo May 12, 2011

Looks so yummy! I’m so into combining lentils with grains these days! The other day, I made a warm salad of brown rice + brown lentils + curry spices and veggies + hard boiled egg. I know you don’t eat eggs, but man, it was so good! Thanks for this! Love the idea of using tahini in it! And lacinato kale is my favorite vegetable ever!

Moni'sMeals May 12, 2011

This is the type of recipe I could eat all the time. I would most likely make a huge batch and a huge bowl of the dressing too. :)
The dressing I am really excited for, I usuaslly make one just like it, but maybe add some crushed red pepper flakes. I love my heat whenever I can.

Have a great day!

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 12, 2011

i’ll take light and flavorful any day! this looks absolutely perfect for any meal really, even breakfast :) i’m actually going to be taking my first hot yoga class next week! i’m excited and a little nervous, but can’t wait :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I cant wait to see how you like it!

Jen May 12, 2011

This sounds delicious! Yup, I’ll be making this for dinner tonight!

Bronwyn May 12, 2011

Hmmm sounds delicious. lemon + tahini would be the perfect spring combo.

Gen May 12, 2011

Yaaay!!!! Awesome recipe!!! And lightened up means you get to eat more, right??? :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

yes….double yes :)

The Healthy Hipster May 12, 2011

Looks delicious, Angela. You’ve inspired me to my save money going to restaurants like Fresh or Urban Herbivore by making myself a nourishing power bowl at home! Cant wait to dig into some of that zesty tahini goodness. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Enjoy!

janet May 12, 2011

Aha! Now I will definitely try this! Love how you reduced the oil. I always cringe when I see dressings with 1/2 cup olive oil!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 12, 2011

I love this adaptation! It’s so true with nearly ANY recipe – you really don’t miss the oil when you cut it down

Katherine May 12, 2011

You have been on a recipe roll lately, girl! Keep it up! :)

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 12, 2011

This recipe looks so delicious! I have to try it out. I love the flavor profile!

Rhona May 12, 2011

Thanks for making that salad light. It is so easy to reduce the oil and still have a great tasting product. I sometimes think oil is a tongue/texture thing more than taste. This looks fantastic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

That is a good point! I would have to agree.

Kristina May 12, 2011

I had the original recipe bookmarked to make, and now I am excited to try the healthier version. I love nutritional yeast on popcorn, but have yet to try it much in cooking. Thanks for the recipe!

Alaina May 12, 2011

I never thought a bowl of lentils and veggies could look and sound so good!

The dressing looks amazing too. Now I know what to make with my leftover tahini. :-)

Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker May 12, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious, Angela! I love lentils, though they do tend to lend themselves to winter dishes. This is a wonderful way to dress them up for spring! :) Thank you!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 12, 2011

This looks so good. I think when there are a lot of colors in a food.. it just tastes so much better.. and well.. this definitely has a lot of color!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 12, 2011

What an awesome idea to make a more summery version! Love the recipe!

Jess May 12, 2011

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 12, 2011

The salad looks great and I am not a stranger to full fat, full calorie, full sugar anything..but oil. Ugh 1/2 c of oil just makes most anything taste like an Exxon Oil Slick :) So I never use the full amount of oil b/c it’s usually overkill. Love that you lightened it up and the flavor was still great. Probably BETTER without all the oil :)

Love the vertical shot with the soft blur of the bowls/lemons in the background. If you can get that image, in it’s entirety or most of it, into the TS or FG boxes without compromising composition, please tell me what SIZES you used b/c it’s a photo like that that I just can never get to fit in entirety but you really need most of it for the full effect.

Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 12, 2011

It’s 3:40pm, I haven’t eaten lunch and this looks ridiculously good.

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 12, 2011

what a beautiful dish!

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 12, 2011

I love that you are addicted to hot yoga, because I also tried it for the first time this week (today was day 3) and it feels amazing!! I am addicted too and now don’t want to miss a day!

Amazing colours in that bowl, looks and sounds delish, this one is going to the ‘to make soon’ list.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Glad to hear you enjoyed it too! :) Im obsesssssssed. ahah

Ashley May 12, 2011

SO many gorgeous photos in this post. All of the colors are beautiful. <3 This lightened up version sounds great to me!!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove May 12, 2011

I LOVE this recipe! I made it a while back and was just thinking about adding it to my grocery list soon! I have a question though, I don’t have any nutritional yeast… do you have any ideas of what I could use instead? (Just a note: I’m not vegan but I love healthy and delicious recipes :) )

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I think it might work without nutritional yeast, although you might have to adjust the other ingredients to taste :)

katie May 12, 2011

tahini is so addictingly delicious, i’m sure I would love this dressing. And your photos are especially gorgeous with all of the bright colors.

OSGMOM May 12, 2011

Putting this dish on my dining wishlist for my upcoming visit ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011