Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG_5704

This week, the first sign of flowers and leaves put me into full Spring mode. My meals have been fresher than ever and I’m feeling on fire energy wise.

It’s about time!

IMG_0369-2

The hot yoga sessions are also helping tremendously. (Thank you, by the way, for your great comments yesterday.) I’ve been to 4 hot yoga sessions now and you could pretty much say that I’m addicted. But, more on that later.

IMG_0362-2

[We need to mow the lawn and weed the garden! eek…it begins]

Yesterday, I was craving an old favourite- the Protein Power Goddess Bowl that I adapted from The Coup Cookbook. I’ve been smitten with this salad since I made it last year and the tahini-Lemon dressing is just to die for!

IMG_5688

My mission yesterday was simple: To lighten up this salad for Spring.

I wouldn’t call this salad heavy per say, but I was never crazy about the 1/2 cup of olive oil that the original recipe calls for. I knew with a bit of work, I could create a lighter Tahini dressing that would taste just as tempting as the original.

IMG_5703

Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Vegan, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

5 from 1 reviews

This hearty recipe is inspired by a vegetarian restaurant called The Coup in Calgary, Alberta. A rich, tangy lemon-tahini sauce coats chewy French green lentils, spelt berries, and crunchy vegetables. I suggest serving a couple spoonfuls of this recipe on top of a salad or alongside crackers and hummus—a little bit goes a long way.

Yield
6 cups
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

For the goddess bowl:
  • 1 cup uncooked French green lentils (2 to 2 3/4 cups cooked)
  • 1 cup uncooked spelt berries or wheat berries (2 cups cooked)
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 medium or large red onion, chopped
  • 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved or 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 3 packed cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 batch Lemon-Tahini Dressing
  • Fine sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
  • Chopped green onion and lemon zest, to garnish (optional)
For the Lemon-Tahini Dressing:
  • 1 large garlic clove
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, to taste
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Directions:

1. Soak the spelt berries in a bowl of water overnight, or for at least 8 to 12 hours. Drain and rinse well.
  2. Add the drained spelt berries into a medium pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a low boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until tender, but still chewy. Drain excess water.
  3. Rinse and drain the lentils. Add to a medium pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil and then immediately reduce the heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until tender, but still a bit chewy. French lentils will hold their shape beautifully and won't break down like regular green or brown lentils. Drain well.
  4. Prepare the Lemon-Tahini Dressing: Mince the garlic in a mini food processor. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth. Set aside.
  5. In a large skillet or pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic, along with a pinch of salt. Stir. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion softens.
  6. Stir in the chopped red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7 to 8 minutes.
  7. Add the spinach, cooked spelt berries and lentils, and stir to combine. Sauté until just wilted. Remove the pot from the heat.
  8. Stir in all of the Lemon-Tahini Dressing, and the fresh parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
  9. Serve with chopped green onion and lemon zest on top, if desired. This salad is lovely served on top of a leafy green salad, or you can serve it with hummus and crackers on the side too.

IMG_5005

Lightening up the Tahini-Lemon dressing was a huge success! I cut down the oil by 75% and the dressing still tasted wonderful.

Here are the changes I made to the lightened up version:

• I added another garlic clove (to make 3) (to add more flava!)
  • I added 2-3 more tbsp water (to thin it out more)

I was worried the taste would be compromised but it was just as addicting like I remembered. Even if you don’t want to make this lentil salad, you could always make the dressing and use it for salads all week long. It is truly one of my most loved homemade dressings to date.

IMG_5024-2

Once you cook your desired grains and make the dressing, you simply sauté some vegetables of your choice until tender.

IMG_5669

Yesterday, I added Lacinato Kale instead of spinach and I loved it! It’s less bitter than regular kale.

IMG_5679 IMG_5680

Mix in your grains and dressing.

IMG_5682 IMG_5688

When it’s all cooked, remove from heat and stir in the minced Parsley for another kick of fresh flavour.

IMG_5684

Taste test… Uncontrollably!

IMG_5690

Serve with a lemon wedge and zest and you have yourself a protein and fibre packed dinner! It’s creamy & comforting, with a tangy kick that is just irresistible.

This will definitely be my go-to version of this salad from now on. We didn’t miss the 6 tablespoons of oil at all.

IMG_5706

Have a good one!

1 jeny May 12, 2011

i am young pup when it comes to eating naturally and healthy. i’m interested in this recipe however concerned with two questions … 1. how well does this salad store? i’m the only one in my family eating this way. 2. do you eat this warm or cold? leftovers warm or cold? … silly questions i know.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I would guess that it would keep for 3-5 days. You could also cut the batch in half if you wanted just 3 cups. I eat it both cold and warm. It is excellent fresh out of the skillet though. I do have it for lunch cold sometimes too and it is good!

3 Davina March 30, 2013

Jeny,
I hope you are still eating healty. I’m in the same situation as you. It’is a challenge when the rest of the family is not onboard, but don’t give up. My neice (the vegetarian who still eats a lot of white flour and sugar products) has expressed an interest in trying raw kale, so I’m going to make Angela’s kale salad (with added spinach). If she likes it, I’ll progress to this dish. Good luck with your efforts, hope the family catches on.

4 Julie @ Shining From Within May 12, 2011

I have been eyeing up this recipe for awhile and the lightened up versiom is just what I was looking for! Def making tonight mmm :)

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 12, 2011

I love all of the colors, and the fiber and protein make it a great meal!

6 rawkinmom May 12, 2011

that dressing sounds so yummy!!! I just bought tahini yesterday!! I also love kale and we grow it in our garden!!! So yummy!!!

7 kaila @ healthy helper! May 12, 2011

Major droool happening right now! Lentils and spelt/wheat berries are two of my favorite foods! I love the color and nutrition of this dish……aaaah it looks so good!

8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 12, 2011

Ooh yum this dressing sounds heavenly! I hadn’t tried putting tahini in salad dressing until just a little while ago but it is SO tasty! Gorgeous photos Ange – the colours have got me in a spring mood too, even though it’s not looking overly sunny out today! PS. You’re turning into a hot yoga holic!! I bet you’ll be showing me up next time! Do they know you by name yet? ;)

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

haha they know me as the girl with the intro pass that never swipes properly maybe! lol

10 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 12, 2011

I can’t wait to try this! I make your original a couple of times per month and I’m happy to be able to lighten it up a bit! We’ve gotta get our bods ready for the summer right!?!

11 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 12, 2011

That salad looks so fresh and vibrant — I just love the colors. I am definitely in Spring mode as well!

12 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 12, 2011

That dressing sounds fab!

13 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 12, 2011

“Light” is exactly what I need today! It is so HOT out!! That dressing sounds so so good, it sounds like somethihg that is going to become very versatile in my kitchen!

14 Samantha Angela May 12, 2011

I love dishes like this. This week I made something similar with quinoa. I also tossed in a huge bunch of fresh herbs (savory, mint, and basil) and lemon and orange juice and zest. Delicious!

15 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 12, 2011

Yum! That dish looks like it would be scrumptious! I need to make it asap!

16 Kelly @foodiefresh May 12, 2011

I have SO much kale and spinach right now from my CSA — this looks like a lovely way to use some of it :)

17 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 13, 2011

Agreed! I need to use up this kale from the farmer’s market, and this recipe sounds like just the ticket.

18 Suzanne May 12, 2011

This looks so good. I’m not a big fan of parsley, do you think cilantro would work as a substitute?

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I’m not sure…Im sitting here trying to taste the flavour combos in my head! I would portion a small serving out of the skillet and then add a bit of minced cilantro to see if you like it first.

20 Katie December 19, 2012

I’m like a year and a half late on this, I know, but I finally made my own version of this last night with what I had lying around the house. That mean subbing quinoa for spelt berries (definitely worked, but I’m going to buy spelt next time just for the texture), and cilantro for parsley since one of my chickens got out and ate all my parsley. I think parsley would be divine, but I really liked the cilantro, too! Then again, I’m a big cilantro lover. So, yes, it does work (in my opinion).

21 Jessica April 14, 2015

I am also not a big fan of parsley, but it works REALLY well in this salad. Especially since it’s cooked. Try a little. YUMMY! And let us know if the cilantro is good too.

22 DessertForTwo May 12, 2011

Looks so yummy! I’m so into combining lentils with grains these days! The other day, I made a warm salad of brown rice + brown lentils + curry spices and veggies + hard boiled egg. I know you don’t eat eggs, but man, it was so good! Thanks for this! Love the idea of using tahini in it! And lacinato kale is my favorite vegetable ever!

23 Moni'sMeals May 12, 2011

This is the type of recipe I could eat all the time. I would most likely make a huge batch and a huge bowl of the dressing too. :)
The dressing I am really excited for, I usuaslly make one just like it, but maybe add some crushed red pepper flakes. I love my heat whenever I can.

Have a great day!

24 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 12, 2011

i’ll take light and flavorful any day! this looks absolutely perfect for any meal really, even breakfast :) i’m actually going to be taking my first hot yoga class next week! i’m excited and a little nervous, but can’t wait :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I cant wait to see how you like it!

26 Jen May 12, 2011

This sounds delicious! Yup, I’ll be making this for dinner tonight!

27 Bronwyn May 12, 2011

Hmmm sounds delicious. lemon + tahini would be the perfect spring combo.

28 Gen May 12, 2011

Yaaay!!!! Awesome recipe!!! And lightened up means you get to eat more, right??? :D

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

yes….double yes :)

30 The Healthy Hipster May 12, 2011

Looks delicious, Angela. You’ve inspired me to my save money going to restaurants like Fresh or Urban Herbivore by making myself a nourishing power bowl at home! Cant wait to dig into some of that zesty tahini goodness. :)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Enjoy!

32 janet May 12, 2011

Aha! Now I will definitely try this! Love how you reduced the oil. I always cringe when I see dressings with 1/2 cup olive oil!

33 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 12, 2011

I love this adaptation! It’s so true with nearly ANY recipe – you really don’t miss the oil when you cut it down

34 Katherine May 12, 2011

You have been on a recipe roll lately, girl! Keep it up! :)

35 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 12, 2011

This recipe looks so delicious! I have to try it out. I love the flavor profile!

36 Rhona May 12, 2011

Thanks for making that salad light. It is so easy to reduce the oil and still have a great tasting product. I sometimes think oil is a tongue/texture thing more than taste. This looks fantastic!

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

That is a good point! I would have to agree.

38 Kristina May 12, 2011

I had the original recipe bookmarked to make, and now I am excited to try the healthier version. I love nutritional yeast on popcorn, but have yet to try it much in cooking. Thanks for the recipe!

39 Alaina May 12, 2011

I never thought a bowl of lentils and veggies could look and sound so good!

The dressing looks amazing too. Now I know what to make with my leftover tahini. :-)

40 Desi @ The Palate Peacemaker May 12, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious, Angela! I love lentils, though they do tend to lend themselves to winter dishes. This is a wonderful way to dress them up for spring! :) Thank you!

41 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 12, 2011

This looks so good. I think when there are a lot of colors in a food.. it just tastes so much better.. and well.. this definitely has a lot of color!

42 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope May 12, 2011

What an awesome idea to make a more summery version! Love the recipe!

43 Jess May 12, 2011

Oh my goodness, that looks amazing! Thanks for sharing.

44 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 12, 2011

The salad looks great and I am not a stranger to full fat, full calorie, full sugar anything..but oil. Ugh 1/2 c of oil just makes most anything taste like an Exxon Oil Slick :) So I never use the full amount of oil b/c it’s usually overkill. Love that you lightened it up and the flavor was still great. Probably BETTER without all the oil :)

Love the vertical shot with the soft blur of the bowls/lemons in the background. If you can get that image, in it’s entirety or most of it, into the TS or FG boxes without compromising composition, please tell me what SIZES you used b/c it’s a photo like that that I just can never get to fit in entirety but you really need most of it for the full effect.

45 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 12, 2011

It’s 3:40pm, I haven’t eaten lunch and this looks ridiculously good.

46 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 12, 2011

what a beautiful dish!

47 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 12, 2011

I love that you are addicted to hot yoga, because I also tried it for the first time this week (today was day 3) and it feels amazing!! I am addicted too and now don’t want to miss a day!

Amazing colours in that bowl, looks and sounds delish, this one is going to the ‘to make soon’ list.

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Glad to hear you enjoyed it too! :) Im obsesssssssed. ahah

49 Ashley May 12, 2011

SO many gorgeous photos in this post. All of the colors are beautiful. <3 This lightened up version sounds great to me!!

50 Stephanie @ LiveCookLove May 12, 2011

I LOVE this recipe! I made it a while back and was just thinking about adding it to my grocery list soon! I have a question though, I don’t have any nutritional yeast… do you have any ideas of what I could use instead? (Just a note: I’m not vegan but I love healthy and delicious recipes :) )

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I think it might work without nutritional yeast, although you might have to adjust the other ingredients to taste :)

52 katie May 12, 2011

tahini is so addictingly delicious, i’m sure I would love this dressing. And your photos are especially gorgeous with all of the bright colors.

53 OSGMOM May 12, 2011

Putting this dish on my dining wishlist for my upcoming visit ;)

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Noted :)

55 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 12, 2011

Delicious looking! I’m trying this tonight with buckwheat. I’ve got all of the ingredients including fresh parsley from my own little garden.

56 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 13, 2011

I can now confirm that this is delicious tasting as well! This will enter the regular rotation of favourites. And the the dressing is addictive!

57 Char May 12, 2011

Wow this looks amazing!!

58 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 12, 2011

I must go in search of spelt berries!!!

59 Barry May 12, 2011

Leaves? Flowers? I saw a crocus on Sibbald Flat yesterday and it nearly moved me to tears. Nature has given notice there will be a Spring after an ugly winter. Many large campgounds will not be open the May long weekend due to snow pack or avalanche damage. Spring is running about 3 weeks late in Calgary. I thought we were in the next ice age. David is fine. Give Ewa a hug for me, pls.

60 birdie to be May 12, 2011

This looks delish! I love how creamy it looks and how healthy it sounds. Im trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my cleanse diet…. hmmmm.

61 Tanya @ Vegan Faith May 12, 2011

Yum! I will be making this for lunch tomorrow! Thanks!

62 Vivianne May 12, 2011

It looks so fresh and delicious…. I wish I had all the ingredients to make that!

I want to try hot yoga so so bad, I’ve heard so many great things about it!

63 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 12, 2011

I love this and I love the look of that Tahini Lemon dressing!

64 PR_cal May 12, 2011

Love this recipe Angela! I actually just made it and was wondering, what would you consider a serving? Or if you don’t mind me asking, how much of the recipe did you eat?

Thanks!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I dont measure my portions…because it depends on how hungry I am. It makes 6 cups though, so I guess if you figure a cup is a serving, it could technically serve 6, but that would be pushing it because its addicting. :) I think saying it serves 4 is safe.

66 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 12, 2011

I love what you did to the goddess bowl. It’s one of my favorites at the Coup. When you were there, did you try their miso gravy? Hubba hubba ding ding it’s amazing!
I got to go to the Coup twice this week, once for Mother’s Day, and the second time for my birthday. I’m one lucky gal. Next time you go, you have to try the portabella flatbread. It’s out of this WORLD.

67 Kelsey May 12, 2011

What a great recipe! I have got to make this soon. I see where you said substitutions would work well for the spelt. I’m thinking black heirloom quinoa. Do you think that would work?

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

I cant see why not! I would probably add a bit less quinoa since the quinoa tends to absorb more sauce & u dont want it dry. :)

69 Kelsey May 15, 2011

Great thought. I’m trying it tonight. I’ll let you know how it goes!

70 Michelle | Gold-hearted Girl May 12, 2011

That looks like something I’d get at my favorite vegan cafe!

71 Lauren May 12, 2011

Hi Angela! That looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to make it! I am a teenage girl and have just started my own blog! If you get a chance to check it out, that would be wonderful and I would be so honored! Thank you for being an inspiration for me to start a blog! -Lauren
teeneatlive.wordpress.com

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

Cool, will check it out now!

73 Kristy May 12, 2011

This sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing.

74 Paige @Running Around Normal May 12, 2011

This definitely sounds delicious and protein packed! The dressing sounds decadent!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 12, 2011

It is :) a ‘bowl licker’ heh

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 12, 2011

Grain and bean salads are my favourite warm weather meals. I’ve already tried a bunch of your salad recipes, and I can’t wait to try this one too!

77 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 12, 2011

Mmm this sounds really delicious :) It’s pretty easy to make, too! I’m definitely making this soon, but I’ll probably be subbing the Asian dark toasted sesame paste for Tahini and leaving the nutritional yeast out. Do you think that would work, or is it too much change??

78 Kathryn May 12, 2011

I just made this and it was fantastic :)
I didn’t have many veggies though… just onions, spinach and carrot. I’m sure it would have been even better with peppers and whatnot.

79 Angel7 May 12, 2011

That would be good to eat with pita bread, or something of the such.

80 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 12, 2011

That looks like a fantastic refreshing salad that will leave you nice and full. Perfect!

81 Molly @ RDexposed May 12, 2011

I love catching when trees begain to bud. But then again I like when they’re multi-color and crunchy. Cue Elton John’s “Circle of Life” to play while you read this….

82 Kath May 12, 2011

I can’t believe you have daffodils!! It feels like so long ago that ours died from heat!

83 Ragnhild May 12, 2011

Mmmm, this looks really good! I love that your salades are always filling once, with grains and fats. And im a huge fan of both spelt berries and tahini, so this one is really for me :) Thanks for sharing!

84 Mama Pea May 12, 2011

I love bowls of grains and beans and veggies like this! I just like Mmmm sauce on mine :)

85 Namaste Gurl May 13, 2011

I love veggie filled bowls with healthy fats, grains, veggies and more. I only hope a meat eater wouldn’t ask, “how do you get your protein?” :)

86 Connie the cookie monster May 13, 2011

this looks so good but long ingredient lists intimidate me!

87 Connie the cookie monster May 13, 2011

this looks so good but long ingredient lists intimidate me!

88 Ellalinea May 13, 2011

That dressing looks really really good, will try this one very soon! :)

89 Lauren May 13, 2011

I made your original version last week, and it really was as delicious as you say! Thanks for your great recipes!

90 The Teenage Taste May 13, 2011

I’ve had the original recipe for the Protein Power Goddess Bowl bookmarked for a while, but now I think I’ll have to swap it out for this one. It looks SOOO good! I’m really liking the lemon tahini dressing. Lately I’ve had a mild obsession with tahini. I put it on everything! :-P

91 Katie May 13, 2011

This is an awesome recipe! So glad I found your site :-)

92 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 13, 2011

This looks perfect for summer! The colors are so beautiful. I love when plates are filled with a rainbow of veggies :)

93 Beth @ naturallyyoursbeth May 13, 2011

This salad looks so fresh! Perf for warm weather :)

94 Bright Smile May 13, 2011

I love The Coup! I go every time I’m in Calgary for work! (It’s so nice to find a place where you can get healthy delicious food while one the road, isn’t it?) Have you been?

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2011

Yes I went last November and loved it!!!

96 melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day May 13, 2011

That looks great! So colorful and flavorful. I love lacinato kale too

97 Mariah May 13, 2011

This dressing ROCKS! Just made it for lunch. Sooooo good! Thanks and love your site! (and thanks for introducing me to nutritional yeast – made the oatmeal recipe last week and loved it too!)

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2011

yay!!

99 Roz May 13, 2011

Great looking salad, and thanks for the lightened up tahini dressing recipe! I’m going to make it for salads, try it on some fish.

100 Katherine May 13, 2011

Hey, I have been following your blog, and I am getting my blog up and going. Added you to my blogroll :)

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2011

Thanks Katherine!

102 (what runs) Lori May 13, 2011

Delicious! I made this and loved it. Looks great, still! Lighter, sunnier weather deserves a lighter meal. ;)

103 Sandra May 13, 2011

Angela, where in the Halton region can I purchase spelt berries? Thank you in advance!

104 Christina @ The Athletarian May 13, 2011

YUM! I have made your original one before and it was delicious! This one looks great too. Will definitely be giving it a try :D

105 Emma May 13, 2011

Ooh I needed an excuse to buy a new jar of tahini. I’ll be putting this on my meal plan for this week :) Sounds delicious.

106 Melissa May 13, 2011

I loved the original so I will have to try this one too!

107 shere May 13, 2011

Do you use roasted tahini or raw in the salad dressing? It really looks and sounds so good!

108 Emily May 13, 2011

This looks delish! The tahini in our cupboard usually just hangs out in there until someone decides to make hummus (which is rare), this is definitely a great way to start using it more often!

109 Kristen May 13, 2011

i made this tonight and it was delicious! a great warm-weather recipe- filling but still light! in case anyone has trouble finding spelt berries or lacinato kale nearby, i used wheat berries and regular kale and it worked great.

110 Megan@eatmybeets May 14, 2011

Wow that looks really delicious! It’s on my to-cook list. I’ve never acutally cooked with spelt before.

111 Sam @ the neurotic yogini May 14, 2011

That looks tasty! I keep seeing your recipes on BlissTree.com. Makes me smile everytime! :)

112 Kirsten (Miss Dropsie) May 15, 2011

Angela- you ROCK. I am currently peeling myself down from the ceiling just enough to write this. It’s still warm in the skillet and I want to EAT THE ENTIRE THING. OMG. That was worth every second of effort. YUMMYYYYY.
K

113 Kirsten (Miss Dropsie) May 15, 2011

Oh, I should say that I made very minimal changes.
1) used coconut oil instead of olive
2) used mixed brown/wild rice (gluten free)
3) simmered the tomato/pepper/kale for very minimal time to maintain the crunch.

Wow. My three year old just ate two bowls.

114 Julie May 15, 2011

YUM!!!! I made this on Friday night and had it for dinner, then lunch on Saturday, then dinner again on Saturday. Totally addictive! Then made another batch of dressing to have on a salad today. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!

115 Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) May 15, 2011

I just made the dressing – wow it’s SO good!

116 Ashley - Freshly Vegetarian May 15, 2011

Consider this filed in my favorites! I wanted a light, but hearty dinner tonight, so I whipped this up and WOW. My family raved about this being one of their favorites and I cannot wait to make it again! I snapped a few photos so I can re-publish this tasty little (maybe little isn’t the right word!) dish on my blog in the next day or two. In case anyone wonders, I used short grain brown rice instead of the berries and added a significant amount of minced ginger (1″ piece) in with the garlic and onion and it was tasty, although I couldn’t taste the ginger in the final product.

This would be a great meal to whip up for brown bag lunches. Angela, another delicious recipe — thank you!

117 jody May 16, 2011

Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be my lunches for most of the week and is very tasty at room temperature. I used wheat berries, frozen spinach, and canned lentils and it is great.

118 Megan May 16, 2011

Just made this (with some changes because of tomato allergies and lack of nut. yeast) here in NW China and I loved it! I love following your blog and trying out your recipes. I am not a vegan but have been trying to avoid meat where I live lately because of the quality so I am so thankful for delicious alternatives! Thanks for your fun stories, recipes and pictures!

119 Kelan May 20, 2011

Made this last night and thought it was delicious. I’ve finally purchased a mini-food processor so now I can make your recipes!

But I still have a lot left and I’m headed out of town. Do you think it will freeze well?

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2011

mm not sure if it will freeze well as Ive never tried it. Maybe bring it along with you if you can? :)

121 Cait May 22, 2011

I just made the lemon tahini sauce- so good! Thanks for the recipe! It’s really dressing up my steamed kale and tempeh :)

122 Helen @ healing through positivity May 24, 2011

I made this last night, was ah-maz-ing!!!

I used brown rice as spelt and wheat berries are difficult to come across in this country…but it tasted good and I LOVE brown rice!!!

Thank you for introducing this to us!!!

123 Ashley May 24, 2011

This sounds great, can’t wait to make it. I’ve never heard of nutritional yeast though, can you just buy it at the grocery store? Is it with the baking yeast?

124 amanda May 24, 2011

Just made this, only change was I added some sun dried tomatoes. It is yummy!

125 Mary May 25, 2011

Enjoying this recipe as I type! I made it with white quinoa and it is delicious! I usually enjoy these dishes with ripe oil cured black olives as well (2-3 olives only).

Angela, I have been following your blog for awhile. I became vegan last summer (end of June) and I have to say your blog/recipes has been so helpful. My husband now eats the vegan dishes I make!!

I have two questions for you:
1. Do you have any NEW recipes that use red kidney beans?
2. Is your bakery located downtown Toronto? Where are you located?

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

I have this recipe for kidney beans: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/04/energizing-protein-power-salad/
My bakery is strictly online, no storefront :)

127 Jennifer @ Oh Sweet Day! May 26, 2011

I LOVE everything about this bowl- name too :) it’s starting to warm up here in the Maritimes and lighter meals are more than welcomed :)

128 April May 31, 2011

Just made this for supper, and it is AMAZING! I will definitely be making it again!

129 Ellen May 31, 2011

I adapted this into a cold salad by keeping all the veggies raw (the lentils and, in my case, brown rice wilted the kale) and chilled it in the fridge. It was amazing! I can’t wait to use the leftovers as salad toppers later this week!

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Great idea!

131 Laura May 31, 2011

Great thing about this is that you can use whatever you’ve got in the fridge. I made this with the quinoa I had made a few days ago, some kale, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and steamed asparagus. The light sauce was delish and very flavorful. No extra oil required at all! Easy and satisfyingly healthy meal with leftovers (including extra dressing)! Thanks, Angela!

132 Anna June 4, 2011

Where did you buy wheat berries I can’t find them.

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

I believe I bought them from Bulk Barn (A bulk food store here in canada)

134 Michele June 6, 2011

angela… this salad is ah-mazing!! I just made it and can’t stop sending pictures of it to my vegan/healthy friends. The true taste tester (mother in law) will be here for dinner tonight, but I am certain she will LOVE this power packed salad! Thanks!!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

yay! Glad to hear that :)

136 Sara June 7, 2011

I just tried this for the first time and it was AMAZING!! Definitely filling and satisfying! I’m so glad I found your site. I enjoy looking at all of your recipes and am going to try your double chocolate chilled torte next week on our family vacation. I’m the only vegan in the group so we’ll see if I can fool them :). Thanks for all you do!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

So glad to hear you enjoyed it and that you are making the torte! woot…im obsessed. So sad the one I made last week is gone! haha

138 Emily April 14, 2012

Gah! I wish I could find tahini paste here! Honestly, I think this would be the only recipe that I use it for (I dislike hummus).

Would you recommend any other dressings?

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

what about a balsamic and vinegar dressing? There is a good one in my back on track salad. I will put my thinking cap on for you.

140 Nicole April 14, 2012

I just made this dressing…it’s so good, I’d like to bathe in it! Can’t wait to put the whole salad together tomorrow!

141 ashley April 15, 2012

i know i’m a tad late, but this is probably one of the best dishes i’ve ever eaten! it fulfills my needs for freshness and garlicky goodness. so super grateful you shared this recipe!

142 Becky April 16, 2012

I made this last night for myself for dinner while everyone else was eating fried chicken and potato salad. It was delicious and all of the non-vegans were very surprised how tastey and filling it is! This will be a staple for me for sure!

143 Karen Cooley April 18, 2012

Oh MY. I just made this for dinner tonight and YUM! I used wheat berries instead of speltberries. Didn’t have nutritional yeast, but I’ll be picking that up, as that dressing is SO good!! And you know, this should come with a statement: “WARNING. The salad you are about to eat is very filling. Eat seconds at your own risk – stomach may become uncomfortably full from lots of deliciousness.”

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

hha I can so relate to that disclaimer ;)

145 Karen Cooley April 19, 2012

My husband was smart and didnt go up for more. I did – a small portion, but yikes! LOL Now I know – wait. 10 minutes. A half hour. And THEN if I’m hungry, go for more. ;) Quite delish and I can’t wait to explore your other recipes. Forgot to say in my original post that I’m new to your blog, so hi! LOL

146 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

HELLO! :) Nice to meet you Karen! Glad you both enjoyed it :)

147 Theresa April 22, 2012

I added some brined olives for some nice contrasting flavors and it was quite yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

148 Lori April 27, 2012

This sounds delish, do you have any idea what the protein/fat/carb/calorie content is for this dish?

149 Christine Gillis May 5, 2012

Hey Angela. Just stumbling upon this post. Love the sound of the protein packed one, the salad you chose as #1. How would you suugest taking this for lunch? I’m assuming that you’d have to eat it right away. How do you think it would work out if I made the veggies and then mixed everything together at work, including the dressing and warming in the microwave~would that work at all???

150 Suzanne P May 9, 2012

This is delicious Angela! Thank you!!

Ps. I made your Weekend Glow Kale salad, halved the salad component, but saved half the dressing so I could try this as well!!

151 Stephanie May 16, 2012

This sounds so good I have tahini in my fridge just waiting tobe used!! I was wondering though Doyle need the nutritional yeast?? I have never seen this in a store around me…. Thanks can’t wait to try this!

152 jeannine May 26, 2012

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

153 Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 2, 2012

I just made this and it’s fabulous! I actually forgot to put the water in the dressing to thin it out, so it clumped together, but I served it on a bed of greens and it was almost like a casserole – divine! Next time I’ll try adding the water for a different take on it, but I enjoyed it either way – the flavour is the same regardless! Thanks Ange :)

154 Natasha June 4, 2012

Nutritional yeast always makes me sick, even just the smell of it, would the dressing recipe still work without nutritional yeast or is there a replacement for it? Any tips would be great.

155 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

Ive made it without nutritional yeast before and I wasnt a big fan of it. Sorry, Im not sure of any subs!

156 maya June 6, 2012

Love Love Love!
I made a couple of changes to adapt to what was in my fridge, but this is the perfect lunch, I made 3 tupperwares to take to work! Warm or cold are both delicious.

157 Shana June 11, 2012

I made a version of this tonight, will be eating it for a while! I used the lentils I had and some black wild rice since I had it rather than buy wheatberries or whatever. I added some sunflower seeds I had for crunch. Very filling and healthy and tasty.

158 Jessica June 14, 2012

I made this today, and because I wasn’t sure of the flavors, I only made half. Well, I really wish I made the full recipe!! It was so good! I even got a thumbs up from my 12 year old (last day of school and home early!!!). When he got home he said he wasn’t hungry for lunch, but I asked him to have a taste and he quickly said he wanted a bowl! It’s going to be my husband’s and my lunch for tomorrow. I make my husband lunch for work every afternoon. This way he can stick to being vegan. We are only vegan for 2 months. I love your blog!!!

159 Laura S June 18, 2012

This is the first recipe I tried from your blog. Delicious. I substituted what I had on hand including brown rice, broccoli and basil.

160 Rebecca June 19, 2012

OMG! I just made this for lunch today and I’m moaning through each bite! Thanks so much for sharing your healthy foods for the rest of us to try out and devour :)

I’m adding you to my reader this instant and I’m so glad I saw the photo of this dish on Pinterest!

161 Amanda June 21, 2012

Made this last night with Quinoa instead of spilt berries, because that’s what I had. It was beyond delicious, reminded me of nachos and I don’t know why but it was deceivingly decadent for lentils.

162 erica June 23, 2012

Hi angela!
This looks amazing! Would you mind providing the nutrition info for it? I know you dont usually do that but I am training for a tri and am keeping track of my fueling!

163 Julie R June 26, 2012

And another winner! I too added hot chili flakes for some zing…to my 2nd helping! Yum, yum, yum.

164 Lisa Eirene (@LisaEirene) July 9, 2012

Thank you for this recipe! My kale is growing like CRAZY and I need new ways to prepare it. (Although I’m completely obsessed with kale chips…)

165 Rachel July 18, 2012

I made this tonight and let me just tell you…this.was.amazing. I made it without nutritional yeast (because the nearest grocery store didn’t have it) and it still tasted great! I was in heaven!

166 Kat July 21, 2012

I was just thinking I should find a good vegan low-oil dressing when I came across this post! I haven’t made the whole thing yet, but I did make the dressing for a salad today. Thanks so much for posting.

167 Nina July 28, 2012

My 14 yr. old daughter loves this. We subbed cilantro for parsley. Delish! Also we try to go low-fat in our house. Not because of weight gain (so over that nonsense) but for health reasons (see 80/10/10). Didn’t put any olive oil in the yummy dressy because have all that lovely fat from the tahini already. Just changed ratios slightly. Used less tahini and added more lemon juice and a splash of water. [2 tbsp. tahini, 1 1/2 lemon, 1 garlic clove, splash of water, good amt. of sea salt] Also try to cut down on grains (again not b/c of weight gain – just find we are not suited for grains – even gluten-free ones:) wherever possible and this salad doesn’t need any. Just gorgeous the way it is!

Thanks so much Angela!

168 Nikki July 30, 2012

Eating this as I write…Love this recipe!!! So hearty and tasty. I will be eating this often :)

169 Priti August 8, 2012

Hi,
I’m thinking on making a Kale Salad with some Tahini dressing, I looked up the recipe for the dressing and it says to put in Tahini, i’m a bit confused but I thought the point was to make it? In any case where can I find the most natural starch free tahini? Health food store. I’m excited to try this out. I hope it works out.

170 gyen August 14, 2012

I was out of town and needed a quick dinner so I stopped at a natural foods store and picked up a kale salad from their deli. I ate in my hotel room and it was amazing. The dressing tasted just like this and I knew I’d come home and want to make it again. The salad was chopped kale, grated carrots, minced red onion, and chopped cashews, in case you want something else to put that dressing on. It’s my lunch today, lol!

171 Pari August 20, 2012

Hi Angela — I have to tell you this is my new favorite recipe. I made it for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. My husband even went back for seconds, which is a pretty big deal. Thanks for sharing and doing what you do!

172 Shelley August 24, 2012

Thanks for this great recipe! I made this as a cold salad this past weekend and submitted it in our Annual Family Cook-Off and it won 1st prize in the salad category (I won a bottle of wine)! I absolutely LOVE the dressing! The salad was especially good the second day…my husband loved it and my three year-old daughter even ate the rice/lentils (she picked out the veggies). Delish!

173 Amber August 25, 2012

I’ve made this several times now, and it is so fantastic!! Love the flavors! It’s my husband’s favorite. Thanks!

174 Ashley August 30, 2012

Ive made this dressing numerous times, it’s so delicious! But I added nutritional yeast for the first time and it curdled on me? I’m new to using nutritional yeast, do you have any idea what went wrong? I immediately made another batch without the yeast and it turned out fine. The yeast was a couple of months old but I read it can last for 18 months.

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

Hey Ashley, Are you sure it curdled and it wasn’t just the flakes of yeast making it bumpy? I ask because I’ve noticed that nutritional yeast can make things look a bit clumpy at times. Its usually remedied by a good whisking.

176 chrissy August 30, 2012

i made this last night with farro and spelt berries and it was AMAZING! i also added carrots, palm hearts, mild green olives, swiss chard, cucumber and avocado on top, and left the veggies raw. thanks for this!

177 Stephanie September 28, 2012

That was very good, had to substitute the pepper and tomatoes for carrots and corn,( my kids!!) It was still very good.
I would like to know if there is a way to bookmark your recipes other than w/Pinterest?
And will all the recipes on this blog be in your cookbook? I think that would be great and make it easier to find!

178 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

Hey Stephanie, I will look into a recipe book marking service for the blog. I’ve heard there is one out there but I havent looked into it yet. Thanks for the suggestion!
Not all recipes will be in the book, but some of the reader favs will be. :)

179 Julia October 2, 2012

WOW.
I have been wanting to make this for months now and I finally did tonight. It was AMAZING.
I made this for my mom (who’s trying to lose weight) and my dad (who’s an ex hippie veg head) and they both could not stop raving about it. In fact, my dad shamelessly had 3 servings!!! It was everything I was dreaming of and I felt compelled to tell you.
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipes with us!

(I can’t wait for tomorrow night when we try the next one!!! <3)

180 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2012

Aw that is so good to hear! Thanks Julia :)

181 Courtney November 5, 2012

Oh, Mama! I made this last night and you weren’t kidding — it IS addicting!!! I had some for lunch and now I’m dreaming of having some again for dinner. That never happens for me! The flavors, colors, and textures in this bowl are incredible and I am so happy I came across this. I made everything just as you had it, but I used quinoa in place of speltberries. Absolutely delicious, thank you!

182 Sloane November 23, 2012

I am OBSESSED with this salad dressing. It’s totally beyond. I make it in batches and store it tightly sealed in Tupperware containers in the fridge, but I’m never certain how long the dressing lasts for. How long would you recommend before tossing it? Thanks!

183 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

hah you sound like me! I think it should last for 2-4 weeks. I usually just smell it and if it looks and smells normal, I keep using it.

184 Amy November 29, 2012

I just tried this recipe this week and was floored by how delicious it came out! I’m admittedly a baker, not a cook, but this was very easy to follow. Thank you for posting such healthy & tasty recipes :)

185 Dora December 2, 2012

I wish you would preface your lemony recipes with how much you like lemon. I had to double the recipe because I made it once and it was way too lemony, so I added more of everything but the lemon. Even halving the lemon juice like that, it’s still surprisingly strong. I had to do the exact same thing with a different lemon-containing recipe of yours (I commented on it at the time), and I guess I forgot. Either you have a very mild lemon wherever you live (admittedly, I do live in socal, the land of citrus), or your lemon tastes are way duller than mine. A little caveat would be greatly appreciated!

186 Dawn January 9, 2013

Do you think the dressing would turn out okay without the nutritional yeast?

187 Lauren January 10, 2013

This was SO good even the next day! Thank you!

188 Michelle January 12, 2013

Oh man, I finally made this this afternoon and I definitely fulfilled the “taste test uncontrollably” step haha. It is really delicious, thank you so much for providing this recipe! My mom loved it too and was surprised that she enjoyed the kale so much! It was my first time trying kale as well and I am definitely a supporter. Thanks again and I will continue to go through the recipes on your website! I also made your pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving and it was a total hit. Well done! Looking forward to your cookbook, that’s for sure!

189 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Michelle! Thank you for letting me know :)

190 Amber January 22, 2013

Delicious Delicious Delicious!!!

191 Jenny February 6, 2013

I’m having some dinner guests soon and i was thinking of serving stuffed portobello mushrooms but i wanted to mix up the stuffing. Do you think this would taste good on top of portobello mushrooms? This salad looks beautiful! :)

192 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2013

Im not sure, but it might be worth a try!

193 Nancy February 26, 2013

Delicious! Thanks for the awesome recipe. :)

194 Ingrid February 28, 2013

I made this for the second time last night but I didn’t have any brown lentils, only had one lemon and foolishly decided upon amaranth as my grain of choice, suffice to say it did not look like your beautiful pictures but it still tasted really good. I used quinoa the time before and it was a much better texture. I think the red lentils were really the main texture culprit. Anyhow, thought I’d share in case someone else was planning on using red lentils as a substitute also. :)

Thanks for all your great recipes, love your site!

195 Karen March 18, 2013

Does the lemon tahini dressing work well as a make-ahead and store in the refrigerator overnight? Or should it be made right before dressing the salad?

196 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2013

Hi Karen, Yes I would imagine that you can certainly make it the night before! Enjoy

197 Monica March 27, 2013

Hi Angela,
Just wanted to let you know how much I love this recipe! I pinned it on Pinterest a few weeks ago and just made a second batch yesterday. And you’re right, it is good warm or cold. I can’t wait to eat my lunch today!

198 Parker April 12, 2013

I just made this tonight and it was so beyond amazing! I am always looking for awesome ways to get my protein in and this is the best recipe I’ve seen so far! I am so excited to make this again and again!

199 Abby April 13, 2013

This was a total HIT- I had three carnivores at my table loving every bite!

200 Nina May 20, 2013

Made this gorgeous dish again. Put the kale mixture in the bowl and put the tahini dressing right over the top without cooking the dressing in the pan. Couldn’t wait! And pureed the parsley right into the tahini dressing which made it green. Probably not as pretty to most but saved me the chopping time and still tasted good:) Thx again for another yummy dish!

201 Nina May 20, 2013

And forgot to say have made each time without a grain and I get no complaints…just have to make more of it!

202 Becca May 24, 2013

so easy and so good ! made this for dinner last night and today my family and i ate some of it for lunch the next day ! ive been looking for recipes that i can make in advance and brin to campus. this will definitely be a regular meal ! thanks !

203 Kathy May 25, 2013

I just made this, and it is awesome! I never would have thought to put these ingredients together in this way. YUM!!!! Will definitely make it again!!!! Thank you!!!

204 joanne July 10, 2013

We can’t get nutritional yeast in Ireland, can you recommend a substitute? This looks gorgeous!

205 Mimi July 30, 2013

I was going to make this salad (which I’ve made before – it’s great!) but then I saw a can of chickpeas lying on the counter and thought I’d make hummus from your tahini dressing recipe. The result was amazing! Added leftover chives too! Never made hummus with nutritional yeast before. New favourite! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

206 Ann Jessup August 20, 2013

This was absolutely delicious! The Lemon Tahini dressing is fabulous and my carnivore hubby loved it!! Thanks for great recipes!

207 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013

So happy to hear that Ann :) Thanks for trying it out!

208 Tara September 8, 2013

I am so excited to try this recipe! It sounds absolutely delicious! But this is the first time I have heard of Tahini. Would you be able to explain it a little more? Also, which brand of Tahini do you usually buy?

209 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2013

Hey Tara, Tahini is also known as sesame seed butter. I don’t have a go-to brand, I usually just buy what’s on sale. :)

210 Allison September 23, 2013

Any way I could get the nutrition info on this? I’m looking for just calories, grams of protein and carbs? Thx so much, this looks so wonderful!!

211 Joanna Zurowski September 24, 2013

Your lightened up protein bowl (rice, lentils, kale, veggies and dressing) tastes AMAZING with Sambal Oelek.

212 Joanna Zurowski September 24, 2013

Oh, I forgot to say, a friend and I liked it warmed up, whereas my husband liked it cold. Fabulous dish. Thank you for the amazing recipes!!

213 Fran October 23, 2013

I talked about the Tahini Lemon Dressing on my blog – just love that stuff!

214 Cailean November 27, 2013

I’ve been reading your blog for ages. Can’t believe it’s taken me so long to attempt a recipe. I’m literally writing this as I eat this dish. I’m so impressed. Thank you!!!!!

215 Dmminvbc December 10, 2013

We love this dressing- it makes a great lunch dressing for my kids. It is really great also with some herbs thrown in- dill, parsley, cilantro or a mix. love you blog. thanks!

216 Katie January 21, 2014

This dressing is my new favorite thing! I rarely want anything else on a salad. I often add more garlic cloves than called for, because I love garlic.

217 Holly February 20, 2014

My husband and I have only been vegan for 10 months or so and we LOVE your blog and recipes. The goddess bowl, along with many other recipes of yours have become staples on our menu. Thank you sooo much for helping cooking-challenged vegans like us have delicious meals and desserts that we can enjoy and share with our non-vegan/vegetarian friends and family!

218 Kim March 3, 2014

I’ve been experimenting going vegan lately. Giving up dairy completely makes me nervous. However, I made this for dinner tonight! Wow! It is so delicious, comforting and yummy!!! The creamy lemony tahini dressing is outstanding. I used lentils and quinoa in my mix. I’ll make this again!

219 Kris March 12, 2014

Great recipe! Next time, though, I think I’ll replace the parsley with another herb, I’ve never been a big parsley fan.
Also, I am in love with this entire blog. You are a culinary genius, I can’t wait to get your cookbook in the mail.

220 Erin March 26, 2014

Congratulations on your big news! So exciting! As a much less important note, the lightened up tahini lemon dressing is WONDERFUL! Made it for the first time two days ago and will be making more today!!! Brought new life to my salads!

221 Kathleen Campbell March 31, 2014

My husband made this for lunch yesterday for my post 13 mile run lunch (1/2 marathon race in 2 weeks!) and it was DELICIOUS and so filling! I love the flavor and creaminess of the dressing. We used wheat berries instead of spelt berries, since that’s what we had on hand, and while they took forever to cook they were a good substitute (and super high in protein!). Looking forward to leftovers today!

222 Megan April 1, 2014

Made this for dinner tonight and love it! Nice combination of ingredients. I used quinoa instead of speltberries.

223 Therese.A May 12, 2014

Just found your site last week, and made this recipe over the weekend. Really impressed! Really good flavor and I have plenty left for lunches for a couple days. Since I didn’t make the lentils or rice the night before, it seemed like a lot of prep work all at once to pull it together, but going forward I’ll definitely do this in two parts to make it faster. Thank you!

224 nancy May 13, 2014

just found your website after reading about power bowls in the newspaper. I can’t wait to try this.!!

225 Yulia May 15, 2014

Just made this amazing dressing. Was skeptical about HALF A CUP of lemon juice, but it is totally appropriate! Counters the salty savor of the tahini really well. I’m looking forward to more recipe discoveries from this blog. It’s just the kind of good I’m into. (Found my way here from Ginny’s blog Small Things.)

226 Leone Arendse May 22, 2014

I made this dish last night and I must admit it is one of my absolute favourites. I replacedthe nutritional yeast with some mustard and a little red wine vinegar (had to improvise) but it was delicious. Definitely a winner. Thanks so much for the amazing recipes.

227 Jessica Fig May 28, 2014

Ever since I first made this I literally have cravings for it at least once a week! Absolutely delicious! I think I’ll make again it for lunch tomorrow :)

228 tri June 2, 2014

Your recipes all look delicious! I have been wanting to try this salad for a long time now but I can’t find tahini in any of my local stores. I am wondering if you think I can sub it for garbanzo beans maybe or something else that is a more common ingredient? Please let me know. Thanks!

229 courtney koctar June 16, 2014

What is nutritional yeast a substitute for? I’m not vegan but am wanting to make this recipe. Thanks!

230 Kelly July 8, 2014

Just discovered this website. I’ve made a few things, and so far, everything has been so fantastic! Just made this last night with the brown rice (gluten free) option. My husband and I ate it warm and it was beyond delicious! Had it left over cold for lunch. Even better! Thanks for the amazing recipes! :D

231 Christina August 7, 2014

Yum, very interested in preparing this dressing. I’ve had to be dairy free for some time due to my fibromyalgia. Also, I know I’m a cess pool of candida as the fibro gets worse when I eat anything that could upset this. I can’t find information either way on the internet as to whether or not it’s ‘okay’ to have nutritional yeast if you’re trying to remove Candida. Do you know what could substitute?

I guess I could try it w/o the nutritional yeast, but I would really like to have things according to their recipes and delicious. Every vegan cheese or cheese sauce has nutritional yeast that I find… Would be really nice if there was something that could substitute.

232 Lindsay August 8, 2014

Could I freeze this?

233 Goli September 4, 2014

Wow! This was sooo good! I am ordering your book tonight :)
I just cannot live without your recipes. Thanks for sharing!

234 Anne September 5, 2014

I made the dressing but substituted almond butter and added a 1/4 c of maple syrup… Heaven!!

235 Lisa November 2, 2014

Just made this. WOW! Super yummy. The only substitute I made was the bell pepper. I used roasted red bell pepper because I did not have a fresh one. This recipe is a definite keeper. I love your blog and your recipes. Thank you!

236 Jesse November 10, 2014

Does anyone have any advice on how long this will keep in the fridge? I’m the only one eating but love leftovers for lunch and quick weeknight dinners. Would you recommend leaving the dressing off and only using it on a per-need basis? Or should it keep well in the fridge all dressed from the get go?

Thanks!

237 Annete December 13, 2014

Just found your webiste and love it. Was wondering about Tahini-Lemon Dressing would it be ok just ot leave the oil out and if so what could I sub for it maybe water. Look go wanted to make a low lowfat dressing. What do you think?

238 Katherine December 29, 2014

Help! Just recently told I have food allergies to things I eat ALL THE TIME like almonds and gluten and Brewers yeast! Can you recommend a substitute for the yeast in this tahini dressing?
BTW I got your cookbook for christmas and I love it!

239 Lunasurf February 6, 2015

This is soooo good! I put it in a cassava wrap with some Siracha.. YUM! Even my carnivorous husband loved it.

240 Alex February 8, 2015

I made this with raw veggies instead of sauteing them and it turned out great! i love it on its own or thrown over a bed of lettuce!

241 meg February 12, 2015

This looks delicious! Do you have any idea if it would freeze well? Thank you!

242 Christina March 26, 2015

I’ve been making this dish for years. Enjoying it for lunch today -so, so good!

243 Starr April 20, 2015

I have died and woke up in heaven. This dressing is AMAZING. Wow! Why does it taste sooooo good. lol lol Oh She Glows is definitely glowing on this one, you really outdone yourself with this one :)

244 Jess B May 13, 2015

I am a health coach and am loving all of your recipes! I constantly refer my client to this website for cooking homework. I will be trying this recipe tonight, I like to double the recipe and freeze so I always have food on hand. Will this be ok to freeze? Is there anything I should definitely not try to freeze? The thought of spending a lot of time and money on something that is ruined in the freezer is tough!!! Thanks!

245 Sarah May 27, 2015

OK, this dressing is the nectar of the gods. I made a full batch today and mixed it with two bags of Trader Joe’s Cruciferous Crunch (shredded brussell sprouts/broccoli/green & red cabbage). Served it at a party and scored a home run. Seriously…the entire bowl was consumed and licked clean. I’m going to whip up another batch tomorrow. It.is.that.good. Thank you for the double dog delicious recipe!

246 Shawna June 17, 2015

I know this recipe has been around for awhile, but I just got around to making it last night. We subbed cilantro for parsley because my husband will not eat anything with parsley in it. It turned out great! My husband has demanded that this recipe be included in the weekly rotation. Thanks for another great recipe!

247 Shawna June 17, 2015

248 Rebecca July 9, 2015

As soon as I saw this recipe, I had to make it immediately! I cooked it tonight and it was absolutely gorgeous….it is now my new favourite meal I’ve found since going veggie a year ago. My husband and I ate ALL of the 6 cup yield in one sitting, it was so lovely! I have no idea how it compares to the original, but I loved it as it is

249 Karen July 21, 2015

I made this for dinner last night – YUM. I cooked 1 cup quinoa (in place of the berries) but didn’t need it all – 3/4 cup will probably be fine. Skipped the raw garlic in the sauce. Served hot, sprinkled with toasted pepitas. My husband took the leftovers for lunch today – I guess he doesn’t mind glowing. Thanks!

250 Kara July 27, 2015

This was great! Before your blog, I thought I could NEVER do Vegan. Now I incorporate Vegan meals into the weekly plan, but also use some of your recipes and incorporate meat (I hope that isn’t a desecration to your goal :-) I’ve just found that your seasonings are better than most recipes out there and my husband and I are very much meat-eaters, tho we also highly value plant-based nutrients and spices.

I’ve tried to like green lentils and can’t, so I substituted grilled chicken cubes for the lentils and quinoa for the brown rice part… also just added some cumen to the mix. And sprinkled the top with feta cheese. Everything else was the same as your recipe and it’s DELICIOUS! Thank yoU!

251 Dilara August 10, 2015

I just made this and I absolutely love it! The dressing adds so much flavour. I did not use nutritional yeast and it was still delicious! I am not vegetarian but I do look for healthy recipes and I have tried a few of your recipes and I am in love with them!
Thanks!

252 Chelsea September 14, 2015

Just made your tahini sauce. It was absolute perfection and a HUGE hit with my (normally very picky) 8 year old boy. You’re making vegan eating so easy!

253 abeer November 14, 2015

Hello,
I love your website, I was just wondering do you mind adding the nutritional information of each recipe!

254 Nidhi January 5, 2016

Hi Angela… I am not vegan but have tried many of your recipes.I love them..!!! Especially the salads and bars. They are delicious and healthy. I really want to try this salad but I don’t have access to nutritional yeast. Can you please suggest a substitution for same for dressing? Thanks a ton for all the recipes. :)

255 Jennifer January 5, 2016

So…this may be too late but i am trying to make this for dinner tonight from the cookbook recipe. Thing is the ingredients listing says Speltberries soaked overnight but the recipe says cook according to table on page 302. So, do i soak over night then drain any remaining water then add the 1.5 cups water and cook or do i add the 1.5 cups in addition to the overnight water? They have increased in size considerably so ran to your site to check but I can’t even find the same recipe! Any help is very appreciated. Hopefully you will see this soon and my dinner will be saved! Thanks!

256 Corrine February 16, 2016

Hi Angela – I just made this recipe for dinner last night and it was delicious! The dressing is so addictive and the meal overall isn’t heavy. I tweaked the recipe just a bit and replaced the spelt berries with goji berries because spelt berries weren’t available at the grocery store. I was a little nervous about how this change would affect the recipe, but let me tell you it was amazing! The combination of the tangy sauce with the sweet flavor of the goji berries was something I couldn’t get enough of. I will definitely make this again. Thanks!

257 Kate March 17, 2016

I wonder about experimenting with buckwheat groats instead? I have never used them but have some in the cupboard. Ideas? :)

258 Alyssa May 17, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Another amazing recipe! And that dressing…I had to stop myself from drinking the dressing right out of the food processor!

259 Angela Liddon May 19, 2016

Haha, I’m glad you liked the recipe, Alyssa! (I love that dressing too, it’s one of my favs!)

260 Kelly June 29, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I ran across this recipe the other day. I just made it last night. I only had green lentils, but I didn’t cook them as long so that they didn’t get mushy and I used kale instead of spinach. I love it! I loved it hot and cold! Thank you so much! This will be a go to for weekday lunches :)

261 Shivani Jain December 2, 2016

I really want to make this lemon tahini dressing for a gathering tomorrow, with the weekend glow kale salad:) However, I was wondering if there’s a substitute for the nutritional yeast by any chance?