Endurance Crackers

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 31, 2012

IMG_7234

Remember the chia seed crackers that we ate at Chocolatree Café just before hiking up 0.6 miles of rocky mountainside?

Here they are in all their glory.

IMG_2133

We kicked some major mountain booty that day and I’d like to think the chia seed crackers had something to do with it. After all, the Aztecs and Mayans used chia seeds (known as a “running food”) for hundreds of years to fuel their long journeys!

As soon as I got home, I knew I had to bust out a version of these in my own kitchen. I was “running” on 3 hours of sleep thanks to a 4am wake-up call and the chocolate I was inhaling wasn’t making me feel any better. The chia crackers came to my rescue!

IMG_7224

4.6 from 36 reviews

Endurance Crackers

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

These Endurance Crackers are extremely light, healthy, and crispy while providing long-lasting energy. I love serving them with hummus (obviously) or smashed avocado and sea salt. Feel free to change up the seasonings and spices as you wish. These crackers are inspired by the ChcolaTree Organic Oasis in Sedona.

Yield
22 large crackers
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup pepita seeds (or pumpkin seeds)
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated on a Microplane
  • 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 300ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pepita seeds, and sesame seeds.
  3. Add the water, garlic, and salt. Stir with a spatula until combined. Allow the mixture to sit for a couple of minutes until the chia seeds absorb the water. After the 2-minute rest, when you stir the mixture, you shouldn’t see a pool of water on the bottom of the bowl.
  4. With the spatula (and a hand, if necessary), spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet in two small rectangles, about 12x7 inches each and 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle additional salt on top.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and carefully flip each rectangle with a spatula. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes more, until lightly golden around the edges. Watch closely near the end to make sure they don’t burn. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes on the pan and then break the rectangles into crackers and let cool completely on the pan. Store in an airtight container or jar on the counter for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze the crackers in freezer bags for up to 1 month.

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 1 of 22 large crackers | Calories 70 calories | Total Fat 5 grams
Saturated Fat 0.5 grams | Sodium Fat 45 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 3 grams
Fiber 3 grams | Sugar 0 grams | Protein 3 grams
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

• * If the crackers soften while storing (this can happen in humid environments), toast them in the oven on a baking sheet at 300ºF for 5 to 7 minutes. After cooling, this should return them to their former crispness!

IMG_7206

As I reached for my garlic powder, I thought why not use fresh garlic instead? My mom recently shared a trick with me for mincing garlic: just use a fine grater instead of chopping it. I used my Microplane and it was the perfect consistency for these crackers. Just be careful you don’t saw off the end of your nail like I almost did.

IMG_7191

10 seconds flat for fresh garlic!

IMG_7194

I also used the same method with the sweet onion.

After grating, I whisked the garlic and onion in a glass with the water (note: I ended up using a full cup of water instead of the 1/2 cup shown here).

IMG_7195

Pour the water mixture into the seed mixture and stir well. It will be thick and gel-like in consistency.

IMG_7196

Now season as you wish.

I used a mixture of Herbamare, kelp granules, and kosher salt for maximum flavour, but you can really play around with the seasonings any way you like! Add some spices too if you wish. Taste and adjust if necessary.

IMG_7204

This picture hates me, clearly.

IMG_7207

Spread onto your baking sheet lined with parchment (or a non-stick mat, but you will have to bake them a bit longer). You want to spread the mixture as thin as possible.

IMG_7200

After baking for 30 minutes at 325F, remove from the oven and slice crackers with a pizza slicer.

IMG_7209

I did a large diamond shape. You can do any size and shape you want, depending on how much ninja power you are looking for!

IMG_7212

With a spatula, carefully flip the crackers and bake for another 30 minutes until toasty and golden on the bottom. Mmm.

IMG_7225

My new favourite cracker, easily.

Not only are they vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free, nut-free, and sugar free, but they can be made raw if you dehydrate them.

IMG_7226

After cooling, they are crispy, chewy, and basically mind blowing ninja fuel perfect for dipping into hummus. Eric said they taste better than the ones at Chocolatree, but he may be biased. I couldn’t get over how light and crispy they are!

IMG_7218

The question is: Whose butt do you want to kick this week?

Your boss, tough assignment, killer workout, or midterm exam?

Go make a list of things to butt kick.

Eat these crackers.

Kick some butt, ninja style.

IMG_7232

It’s like bird food, but waaaaay better.

Do you ever see a tired bird?

I rest my case.

~~

Many of you ask where you can buy chia seeds. If you are looking for an online retailer in the US, try www.chiaseedsdirect.com. I’ve found both of these businesses to have very competitive prices. You can also purchase chia seeds from bulk food stores like Bulk Barn here in Canada or in natural food stores! Update: More readers also told me Costco sells them (in the supplement section) and even Winners and Homesense! Who knew?

Page 8 of 8« First...«45678
Juju October 10, 2016 at 1:52 pm

How long would one dehydrate these for??

Leyla November 19, 2016 at 3:11 am

Yum! I make these with a 1/2 cup of LSC (ground linseed sunflour chia) instead of sesame which made them less tough as the ground stuff filled in the gaps, and use garlic powder and paprika. I think its just making sure you use the correct quantity of chia as a binder you can vary the other 1.5 cups of seeds. I Vac packed mine to keep them crispy and fresh. I just had one after a month and still yum. Makes me not miss bread! Thanks for this amazing recipe.

Angela Liddon November 22, 2016 at 10:25 am

Thanks for sharing, Leyla!

Rebecca December 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm

My college aged son loved these when he came home for Thanksgiving, and a number of his friends did, too. I just made a sweet version- leaving out the garlic and seasoning, and covering with dark chocolate pieces as soon as it came out of the oven. And I just made up several packages of the seeds and seasonings ( a variety of seasonings) so he can just add water and bake, as a Christmas present. I better make sure he owns a cookie sheet.

Angela Liddon December 20, 2016 at 10:05 am

Those are such great ideas, Rebecca! I’m sure he’ll love the gift.

Mary Beth Forget January 9, 2017 at 2:50 pm

I am anxious to try this recipe! it sounds delicious!

Angela Liddon January 9, 2017 at 2:51 pm

I hope you enjoy it when you give it a try, Mary Beth! It’s one of my go-tos. :)

Sally January 16, 2017 at 6:30 am

I am so excited to try this recipe!

Just one question – could the chia seeds be substituted for any other seed? Poppy perhaps? – any other ideas?
I only ask because chia seeds are SO expensive here in South Africa and it would be nice to know if they can be substituted :)

Thank you so much for such a great recipe!

Angela Liddon March 15, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Hi Sally, as the chia seeds absorb the water and help everything hold together, I’m not sure there’s anything that would work well as a substitute. Sorry!

alanna July 29, 2017 at 3:00 pm

You can use flax seeds – also super absorbent! I don’t love the flavor of flax, so I usually use half and half. Alternatively, you could experiment with psyllium husk powder, but I don’t know about the measurements (maybe 2 TBS?)

Melissa January 16, 2017 at 3:50 pm

Angela- these are a serious home run. I have made them at least two dozen times. This weekend I tried two new things. I cut two sheets into cracker shapes after the first flip when they’re still a bit pliable. Worked like a charm!
I also tried a batch with 1t cinnamon and the same amount of vanilla extract with coconut sugar sprinkled on top. It was a winner.
Thanks again for all of your work!

Bella January 20, 2017 at 4:56 pm
Recipe Rating:

this looked like a great recipe lovely seeds, very simple what could go wrong – the taste was awful, yes they came out crispy, but i think it was too many chia seeds, i made another batch with 1/4 chia seeds that you used, and added in some ground almonds and almond flour and halved the water – the taste was much more crackery – sorry to cast a down note

Stacy Rhodes March 2, 2017 at 7:03 pm
Recipe Rating:

Love these! I have made them 3-4 times now. The last time I made them I stuck them in a dehydrator for about 10 hours after baking them. I loved the crispier texture. These are perfect for on the go snacks, taking on trips etc.

Angela Liddon March 3, 2017 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for the love, Stacy! And thanks, too, for sharing the great tip about using the dehydrator!

Renee March 13, 2017 at 9:44 am

I’m about to make my 2nd batch today and they are AMAZING!! I anticipated brittleness/loose seeds so processed half of the mixture to create a dough to hold the seeds together better. I also baked 1/2 tbsp portions in a mini muffin top pan or u cud use a muffin tin to create uniform rounds (approx 2″) that are easy to stack and store. I travel a lot and this is my go-to snack on planes along w my Paleo Low Carb Cauliflower Hummus recipe I found on website ibreatheimhungry.com. Thank u to ALL of u bloggers who generously share ur work to make our healthcare journey so much easier!! :-)

Freda March 16, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Recipe Rating:

Love these crackers. My favorite.

Barbie Alsop March 20, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I’ve been using your OSG Everyday cookbook since I went back to being vegan about a month ago. Today I’m trying this recipe, but I didn’t have any garlic left, so I used garlic powder. From licking my fingers after spreading the goop, I suspect these are going to be very garlicky crackers! Wish me luck! Also, is a microplaner the same as a zester? Otherwise, I haven’t a clue, when I make these with real garlic.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 21, 2017 at 9:11 am

Yes it sure is! I hope the crackers turn out well for you. I find the garlic flavours tend to mute a little after baking.

Barbie March 21, 2017 at 9:20 am
Recipe Rating:

Thanks so much! You are a true treasure and the crackers came out fine! Only problem is that I ate them all!

Shawna March 25, 2017 at 9:27 pm

Hi,
In the recipe you state that the oven needs to preheat at 300 but in your text you state that it cooks at 325. Is one of these temperatures incorrect?

Angela Liddon March 27, 2017 at 9:59 am

Hi Shawna, Thanks for your question! The temperature stated in the recipe is the correct one, so please follow that, cooking at 300F. The recipe’s been revised since it was originally posted, which is why there’s a discrepancy between it and the surrounding text; I’ll try to update the text soon!

Tiffany Rouhi March 28, 2017 at 3:57 pm

Hi Anegla!

I made this recipe today using your second cookbook! The crackers are delicious! I didn’t have sesame seeds, so I used hemp seeds instead and the crackers are perfect! Thank you!

Angela Liddon March 29, 2017 at 10:33 am

Thanks so much for sharing, Tiffany! I’m glad to know that swap worked out so well for you and that you’re loving the crackers. Enjoy!

Mima March 31, 2017 at 12:46 pm
Recipe Rating:

Well, I think this is my very first comment ever under some recipe but I just had to tell you that crackers are perfect! :) I can’t wait my family to come home and try them because it will be something I’ll be making every single week. I’m sure. :)
Thank you. You just got a big fan from Croatia ;)

Angela Liddon March 31, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Thank you so much for leaving this comment, Mima! I’m thrilled to hear you’re loving the crackers.

Candace April 4, 2017 at 9:24 am

I’m a little confused. I don’t see sweet onion under the ingredients list, or in the instructions, but you do mention it in the follow up notes in your blog post. However, I seem to be the only one who is questioning this (I read every comment) so what am I missing? Or can you just tell me how much sweet onion you use?

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Hey Candace, Apologies for the confusion! My original recipe contained minced onion, but in my revision of this recipe I decided not to include it to simplify things a bit. When I do add fresh minced onion though, it’s usually only about a teaspoon or so. I hope this helps!

Candace April 7, 2017 at 6:18 pm

Thank you! I actually ended up going rogue and adding some garlic powder, onion powder, nooch, and smoked paprika. We’re hitting a 16 mile loop with 4500′ elevation gain/loss tomorrow and these sounded perfect. They are very tasty and hopefully will help us with that endurance we’re going to need!

Barbara Hinebaugh May 8, 2017 at 12:17 pm

Do you have the nutrition information for these crackers? I made them and loved them but I need to track my macros.

Angela Liddon May 8, 2017 at 1:44 pm

Hi Barbara, You can find the nutritional info for these here. This is the nutritionanls sheet for Oh She Glows Every Day, so you’ll have to scroll down a bit, to the third recipe grouping on that first page. Hope this helps!

Marcia Little May 27, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Angela, the recipe does not mention sweet onion, but in the directions, you said you grated garoic and sweet onion on a microplane, how much onion did you use? Thank you, looks delicious

Angela Liddon May 31, 2017 at 1:15 pm

Hey Marcia, Great question! My original recipe contained minced onion, but in my revision of this recipe I decided not to include it to simplify things. When I do add fresh minced onion , it’s usually only about a teaspoon or so. I hope this helps!

Dalilah June 11, 2017 at 5:39 pm

Confused in the ingredients. The ingredient list does not include the ingredients shown in the step-by-step pics- the onion and kelp. Are these ingredients optional or did you forget to include them in the ingredient list? I’m interested in trying the recipe but need to make sure I have the correct ingredients. Could yoy please please clarify? Thank yoy.

Angela Liddon June 16, 2017 at 10:17 am

Hey Dalilah, Sorry for the confusion! My original recipe contained minced onion and kelp granules, but in my revision of this recipe I decided not to include them to simplify things. You can still add them to taste, though! When I add fresh minced onion, it’s usually only about a teaspoon or so. I hope this helps!

Kristal July 28, 2017 at 8:49 am

Just made these off of the app for my first ever plant based road trip. So easy and delicious! I will be making these weekly for snacks!

Katie August 1, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Could I use the dehydrator instead? Has anyone tried? Thanks

Angela Liddon August 4, 2017 at 9:49 am

I can’t see why not, Katie!

Ann Parkere August 23, 2017 at 7:52 pm

Can I substitute chia seeds with flax seeds?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 24, 2017 at 10:12 am

Hi Ann, That’s a great question!! I haven’t tried swapping the 1/2 cup chia for 1/2 cup flax seeds before. The chia seeds are really great for binding things, so I’m not sure how these crackers would behave without them. That said, flax can be too. I may be more inclined to try ground flax instead since it might bind a bit better (maybe 1/4 cup ground flax?). But that’s not to say whole flax seeds won’t work either. If you do any experimentation please let us know how it goes!

Julie August 29, 2017 at 6:38 pm
Recipe Rating:

I have to say these are the BEST!!! I love crackers (my go-to snack) but I need to be gluten free (or my stomach will hate me)… so I tried these and I cant stop making them, so easy and SOOO yum! I eat these with a slice of avocado on them, SOO good! thank you :)

Angela Liddon August 30, 2017 at 10:25 am

Oh, I’m so happy this recipe is a winner, Julie! What’s snack time without crackers?!

Kristi September 20, 2017 at 10:23 pm

I’ve made these so many times over the past few months, and I always love them. This time though, I wanted to change them up a bit. I kept the same basic recipe (which is great), but replaced 1/4 of the water with lime juice, and added paprika and cayenne, a little cumin, and some tamarind seasoning. Oh my stars. So good!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 21, 2017 at 8:27 am

Ohhhh sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing your modifications. :)

Olivia October 19, 2017 at 2:42 am

How much sweet onion did you use? I don’t see it in the ingredients list but I see it in the recipe. I can’t wait to make these ASAP!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2017 at 10:16 am

Sorry about that Olivia! I think I used a teaspoon of grated onion on the Microplane. I don’t tend to add it anymore when I make them, just to save a bit of time. It’s totally optional! :)

Heather October 25, 2017 at 4:56 pm

I left these on the counter by accident in the air, they are a little bit gray now, is that safe to eat?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 26, 2017 at 6:19 am

Hey Heather, They tend to be fine on the counter for at least a few days, but it also depends on the room temperature (if it’s hot, they won’t be good as long) If they seem off they probably are. Sorry I can’t help you more!

Amanda McCarthy October 27, 2017 at 11:01 am
Recipe Rating:

I made this recipe a week ago (though I forgot the sunflower seeds) bought them, but forgot to add them to the mix. They stuck to the wax paper and seemed to be a little wetter than I thought they should be (after an hour of cooking at 300). I was wondering if I should lower the water to 1/2 of a cup, or if the lack of sunflower seeds made them wetter?

Thanks for your help! They were delicious otherwise.. from what I ripped from the paper haha. Def will be omitting the wax paper in the second round. Plan on making them again today.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Hey Amanda, I do think the lack of sunflower seeds may have caused some extra wetness. I’ve also found that using wax paper often causes things to stick…parchment paper works great if you can get your hands on some. I’m glad you’re still enjoying them regardless! haha.

Laf November 5, 2017 at 11:23 am
Recipe Rating:

Big big disappointment. I rarely leave reviews but I had to on this one because it was awful. First of all it took me 2 1/2 hours to bake the cracker and it never got crunchy. I finally took it out of the oven soggy messy and all it tasted was of garlic if you love straight garlic flavor you might like this it did taste when I had some super spicy hummus on it. I think the recipe needs to be revamped and described much differently. Don’t waste your time

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2017 at 7:14 am

Hey Laf, I’m so sorry these crackers didn’t turn out for you! That’s so strange you had them in the oven for 2.5 hours. Did you change the recipe at all (the chia is necessary to absorb water), or is it possible your oven temp is off? Hmm..I’m trying to think of possible reasons why this could’ve happened as I’ve heard from a lot of readers that they turn out great. It’s also important to use parchment paper and not wax paper and to spread the mixture very thin. I hope this helps!

Keely Worth November 19, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Just cooking them now … !

If you’re in Oz you can get them at Coles ;)

Keely Worth November 19, 2017 at 8:24 pm

Oops – by “them” I mean chia seeds – you can get Chia seeds at Coles

Katie Bettini January 4, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Where is the onion in this recipe? It’s listed in the description and I see it in the picture– but not in the recipe. Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2018 at 8:29 am

Hey Katie, Oh good eye! My original recipe called for 1 teaspoon of finely grated onion, but I since removed it in future recipe trials. I didn’t find it was necessary for the crackers. I hope this helps clarify!

Jane Schrøder January 17, 2018 at 2:48 am

Hi, I wanna make your endurance crackers. It’s the first recipe for crackers I’ve come across that doesn’t call for oil and eggs (not that I’ve searched very hard 😉.
After reading the recipe, I scrolled through the pictures. Under a picture I noticed you describe grating garlic and sweet onion and mixing it with water. The recipe doesn’t list sweet onion under ingredients. How much do you use?
Also, do you have any spices/dried herbs combinations to recommend? And how much do you add?
Looking forward to hearing from you :-)
Love Jane

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 17, 2018 at 8:57 am

Hey Jane, So happy to hear you’d like to try these out! My original recipe called for 1 teaspoon of finely grated onion, but I since removed it in future recipe trials. I didn’t find it was necessary for the crackers. I hope this helps clarify! As for a spice combo I like my 10-spice mix: http://ohsheglows.com/2015/12/21/10-spice-mix-gift-jars-printable-10-spice-veggie-soup-recipe/

Laura January 20, 2018 at 12:09 pm
Recipe Rating:

These crackers are super! I’ve had them the past few days with the Best Marinated Lentils from your second book (which I really like mixed up with chopped arugula and cherry tomatoes!). I tried the dehydrator method and actually scored the crackers before putting them in the dehydrator, then after about 6 hours completely separated them into individual crackers and flipped them over to dehydrate for another 3 hours. They’ve stayed completely crisp in a sealed container in the pantry for nearly a week! I am so glad I tried them – I’m not a fan of whole chia seeds (I use the blender method from your first book for chia pudding – such a great tip!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2018 at 8:01 am

Hey Laura, Oh that’s so great you love them and that they worked in the dehydrator! Thanks so much for sharing your method. :)

Sarah February 16, 2018 at 2:50 pm

I tried making your Sundried tomatoe and Garlic Seed Crackers today – they looked just like they should, but they did not stick together for crackers at all. They were all little crumbs :( Any tips? I can’t figure out what I did wrong!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 20, 2018 at 11:55 am

Hey Sarah, Oh that’s so strange! Were they cooled fully? Did you make any adjustments/tweaks to the recipe?

Jennell April 17, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Recipe Rating:

Love these, but I have adapted the recipe in a couple of ways. For one, I spread it over 2 baking sheets to get more, but thinner crackers. So I reduce the time for cooking to about 25 minutes per side.

I also combine the sunflower and pumpkin seeds in the food processor and pulse for a bit to break things up. This makes them hold together a bit better. (I do a bunch at a time and put in a jar so they are ready for the next few batches).

Sometimes I throw in a bit of flaxseed and/or hemp seed. It is also good with finely chopped fresh rosemary, or black pepper. Definitely remember to salt the top as recommended…. not something I always manage to do!

Jogger1 April 21, 2018 at 11:56 am

Ground Chia seeds or whole?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2018 at 6:24 am

whole chia seeds, thanks for clarifying! :)

Lea April 24, 2018 at 6:38 am
Recipe Rating:

These were outstanding! I used garlic powder (I was out of fresh), a vegan garlic and herb seasoning, and a touch more sea salt. Mine turned out a bit thicker than planned, so next time I will squish them own a bit more. Even so, they turned out amazing. Even my mom, who is an omnivore, loved them! Thanks Angela. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2018 at 9:03 am

Aww I’m so happy to hear that Lea! Thanks for your review :)

Candida June 9, 2018 at 11:01 am
Recipe Rating:

Having tried several similar recipes, I really like these. The salt and garlic give them a nice flavor.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2018 at 10:42 am

Thank you! So glad they’re a hit :) I love them with hummus

Lindsey July 24, 2018 at 7:10 am

Hi! I can’t wait to try these! My son cannot eat sesame seeds. I know I can change/increase seeds but what do you suggest?

Lydia Oakey August 2, 2018 at 10:40 pm

I LOVE these crackers so much- I take them to work or eat an hour or so before boxing… I just hate how expensive they are to make!!! Where I am (adelaide, south aus) chia seeds are super expensive!
Do you think there is anything else i could add to the recipe to make them stretch further, like oats or quinoa with a bit of flax as well as the chia?
Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2018 at 8:33 am

Hey Lydia, Oh I love your ideas of using grains and ground flaxseed. I do think it could work with some experimentation. Chia helps them hold together but I’m not sure exactly how much of it you need for the crackers to still work. If you try anything I’d love to hear how it goes!