Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 3   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

I absolutely adore brussels sprouts, but this wasn’t always the case. Growing up, I despised them as most children do. In my early twenties, I gave them another shot and they slowly grew on me over the course of many holiday dinners. I’d place a few on the edge of my plate “just to try” and eventually they grew on me. They’re now one of the first vegetables I make a beeline for at holiday dinners. This past weekend was no different!

My absolute favourite way to enjoy them is roasted. I have no idea why there isn’t a recipe on the blog, but I decided this had to be remedied immediately. This recipe today features my favourite potatoes of all time (fingerlings), a generous amount of fresh rosemary and garlic, and of course, hearty brussels sprouts. Tossed with a touch of extra virgin olive oil and roasted for about 38 minutes, it was just about too good to share. It’s the ultimate comfort food on a chilly fall day.

20121004 163456   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

A little roasting goes a long way, especially when it comes to brussels sprouts. They get slightly charred and caramelized in the oven and have a dense “meaty” texture that you wouldn’t expect from a green vegetable. If you’ve ever crossed this vegetable off your “want to eat more of” list I encourage you to give this recipe a shot; you might be surprised at how quickly they disappear. I knew this dish was a keeper when Eric – who is not a big fan of brussels – gobbled them up quickly.

roasted brussels sprouts and fingerling potatoes with rosemary 6793 2   Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Rosemary and Garlic

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: Serves 4-5 as a side

Ingredients:

• (0.80kg/1.75lb) fingerling potatoes
  • (0.34kg/0.75lb) brussels sprouts
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
  • 1 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp Sucanat (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp fine grain sea salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Rinse and scrub potatoes. Pat dry. Slice in half lengthwise and place into large mixing bowl.

3. Cut off stem of brussels sprouts and remove loose outer leaves. Rinse and pat dry. Place in bowl.

4. Add the minced garlic, minced rosemary, oil, optional Sucanat, salt, pepper, and optional red pepper flakes into the bowl along with the potatoes and sprouts. Toss with your hands to combine and place on baking sheet.

5. Roast for 35-38 minutes at 400F, stirring once half way through baking. Potatoes will be golden and brussels will be lightly charred when ready. Season with Herbamare (or salt) and pepper to taste and serve immediately.

~~~~

Are you a brussels sprouts fan? What’s your favourite way to enjoy them?

Ashley October 8, 2012

Okay. This is the 5th blog I’ve seen today with a roasted veggie recipe using rosemary [including mine!]. Too funny! Potatoes and rosemary are the best combo ever.

Angela October 8, 2012

must be in the air! I just love rosemary and garlic with a little kick of spice. The smell of rosemary alone is comforting to me.

Grace @ Grace Dishes October 8, 2012

I made a similar recipe this weekend! I love roasted brussel sprouts! I don’t understand why they get such a bad rap!

This looks beautiful!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 8, 2012

I have to confess… I think I’m the only person in the work who doesn’t like white potatoes. I’d love to try these with yams though! I bet the brussel bite would be tasty with the sweetness. Rosemary is one of my favorite warm-dish additions!

Robin October 10, 2012

Nope. I babysit two girls who won’t touch potatoes: not even mashed or french-fried!

Kathleen December 30, 2012

Eat them yourself!

Liz October 8, 2012

I absolutely love roasted vegetables. They are so easy to make and they smell so good when they are cooking. I also love your fall photo. That is a great shot. I love the fall season.

Laura S. October 8, 2012

I ADORE brussels sprouts and have a similar story to yours…I used to think they had a pretty abhorrant smell but now I don’t know how I lived without them!

Wanted to let you know I made your Creamy Roasted Tomato, Garlic, & Onion Coconut Soup but subbed Italian spices for the garam masala – a handful of fresh basil along with a Tbsp or so of mixed dried herbs. This was RIDICULOUSLY GOOD. A new twist on an already great recipe. Thank you for your ingenuity Angela!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2012

Such a wonderful twist on that soup! I will have to try that next time. :)

Laura S. October 9, 2012

You definitely should. I can’t believe how much I love that soup with the Italian spices.

Addy @ Six-Kick Switch October 8, 2012

I am such a brussel sprout fan! I wasn’t always, though :) My sister developed such a taste for them that she once ate a whole pan of roasted sprouts by herself…not a good idea. In case you were thinking of trying it :)

The potatoes in this recipe look awesome! Definitely a great fall dish!

ellen October 8, 2012

Yum!!! I just made brussels sprouts this weekend – roasted them with olive oil, a little maple syrup, and salt and pepper.

Our garden brussels should be ready for picking this weekend. We always have the tiniest little ones and they are sooooooo good!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 8, 2012

Love roasted veggies! They are so flavorful and addictive!

Danielle October 8, 2012

Love brussel sprouts! Roasted is my favourite way. Though I have tried a recipe on Joy McCarthy’s blog that used coconut oil and coconut flakes! It was good… But nothing compares to roasted :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 8, 2012

You are looking at a Brussels sprout-a-holic right here!! I am the only one in my family that likes them but insist that they make an appearance at every single Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner in my house! :) This year was no exception. i roasted mine with maple balsamic vinegar and they were so so divine. (You can check em out here if you like! bit.ly/RKTh9r) I agree with you – a little roasting goes a long way. The charred bits are my favourite!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul October 8, 2012

ahhh I discovered brussell sprouts in my early 20s! I’m now 24. :D But ever since then, I fell in love with it immediately. I think I’m lucky though because ever since I was born I headed straight for vegetables (and meat), so much so that I always asked for kimchi! :P Great recipe and I never thought of adding a sweet ingredient~ah! Maple syrup would be great with it too.

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 8, 2012

I haven’t ever been a huge fan of brussel sprouts but I’ve seen them a few times on your blog and now I’m wondering if I should give them a second chance. I like anything with salt and vinegar and I’m wondering how that would turn out if I steamed them and then topped them with some S & V. Rosemary is just one herb that I’ve never really been crazy about. I adore Dill but it’s more of a summer herb. Maybe I’ll keep the dill going just to keep a little bit of that summer spirit year round :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2012

That’s funny Alex, I was just thinking about making S & V brussels the other day. I think it would be great!

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 8, 2012

If you make them please let me know how they turn out!! Great minds think alike :)

Janae @ Bring-Joy October 8, 2012

I love potato anything. Something super comforting about that starchy vegetable.

I also am a fan of brussel sprouts, really the entire cabbage family, although my kids & husband are a bit harder to convince that they are lovable & delicious. I think roasting brussel sprouts &/or having a great sauce to compliment them, are key.

Senator October 8, 2012

Oh my goodness –YUM!! Your post always inspire me!

Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 8, 2012

My husband and I both LOVE brussels sprouts. My favorite way to eat them is tossed in olive oil and roasted in the oven with a little salt, pepper, and garlic – so simple yet so delicious!

Heidi kokborg October 8, 2012

It looks good ! Actually I have never tried brussels spread but I definitely will give it a try! :)

Cher @ Weddicted October 8, 2012

I used to despite brussel sprouts, too. I think it was more the idea of them than anything else. Growing up, my mom never stopped cooking them and they eventually grew on me. I like them roasted best!

Kayti October 8, 2012

Love it! I’ve been making my own variation of this for years! Sometimes I add basil too, and I’ve never used fingerling potatoes. Maybe I should’ve bought that bag of them I was gazing at in the grocery store. lol.

Kimmy October 8, 2012

Mmm looks great!
It’s funny, I never thought I liked brussel sprouts either before I tried roasting them. Now it’s one of my fav meals.

Averie @ Averie Cooks October 8, 2012

Angela these are the most beautiful potatoes! The rusticness of the photo, the rosemeary, the brussels sprouts, too; oh I want this dish! And the course salt on the wood…you have me in the mood to roast up some taters!

Natalie @ Free Range Human October 8, 2012

That picture is gorgeous! I just recently discovered I’m a brussels sprout fan. I love them roasted!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy October 8, 2012

oh yum. total fall dish right there!

Kari@Loaves and Dishes October 8, 2012

I love roasted brussel sprouts, definitely my favorite preparation. My husband doesn’t like them at all (boo hoo). I can’t wait for him to go on the road so that I can make these. I’ll miss him but I’ll be happy with my bowl of spuds and sprouts!

Becky October 8, 2012

I’ve never tried Brussels sprouts – but I LOVE cooked cabbage – weird?

Beth @ Tasty Yummies October 8, 2012

Yum my perfect fall-type meal. I LOVE roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts, especially together… perfection!

Courtney @ Delicious Ramble October 8, 2012

Yum! Can’t wait to try this!

Anon Non @ Fat to Fit...the healthy way October 8, 2012

Beautiful! Roasted brussel sprouts are a dream. It is the only way that I will eat them and I love that you encourage people to try them even if they have crossed the little green monsters off their list. Roasting is the absolute best way to enjoy brussels!

RachelRuns October 8, 2012

this looks amazing!! i’ve always loved rosemary, my grandmother lives in phoenix and has a rosemary bush right out her front door.. every time you walk outside you’re hit with a burst of it. its incredible.

I absolutely LOVE brussels sprouts, I’ve been making them with a balsamic reduction glaze from this recipe. you have to try it, especially since you’ve mastered the balsamic reduction ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

That looks right up my alley! Thanks for sharing.

Lauren October 8, 2012

I love the picture of the leaves. I live in AZ where it’s still blazingly hot and pretty much summer year-round. Jealous.
P.s. I could only think of Sketchie when I saw this…http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NH516U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B008NH516U&linkCode=as2&tag=jensmenandlif-20. I always crack up when you post pics of him, and I’d love to see some of him in this.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2012

hahaha that is amazing! Did you know we actually have a tunnel for him? It looks a bit like that one but doesn’t have the cool things on each end. He LOVES it! Whenever he’s hyper he runs through it a million times and gets us to play with him with his toys.

Andrea October 8, 2012

This looks like such a warm and comforting dish.. not to mention it includes 2 of my favorite ingredients ever.. brussels and potatoes! Definitely saving this one for a chilly night :) My newest favorite way to eat brussel sprouts is to chop and shred them, saute them, and then throw in some grape tomatoes and lemon juice! So good!

Lisa October 8, 2012

I could never stand brussell sprouts because i always had them boiled; ugh. Just learned to love them a couple of years ago. I like them thinly sliced (so really shredded) and roasted with olive oil, salt, pepper. Then lemon juice and parmesean the last 10 minutes. Crispy!!

Mandi October 8, 2012

Mmmm those look incredible! My fiance isn’t really a fan of brussel sprouts but I’m thinking this recipe could make him change his tune.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 8, 2012

I love roasted brussels sprouts! I need to try them with rosemary though….that sounds like a great combo.

Andrea @ Vegvacious October 8, 2012

I’ve grown to love brussel sprouts too! Roasted is the only way to go.!!

Sara Nickel October 8, 2012

I have yet to meet a potato I did not like:) The fingerling guys are so adorable too. I can’t wait to try this Angela!

Fi @ sparklingsnowflake October 8, 2012

When I first discovered healthy living blogs, roasted brussels sprouts seemed to be everywhere; I gave them a go and it was love at first bite. I didn’t mind sprouts before then so I wasn’t surprised… but it was nothing short of miraculous when my Dad – a long time hater of sprouts – declared that he actually quite liked them roasted!

So to anyone who is still put off by the fact that it’s ‘just another way of cooking’ brussels sprouts – I dare you to try them.

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 8, 2012

there is seriously nothing better than roasted potatoes on a fall day – these look amazing!

Justina October 8, 2012

Growing up, I loved my vegetables. I just recently discovered brussel sprouts (mainly how to prepare them), and I fell in love. The only way I know how to make them though is by roasting them in olive oil and salt. It took zero creativity but tastes absolutely delicious. There is a slight bitter taste that works well with the sweetness of it!

Sarah October 8, 2012

Great post!

As for my way of enjoying them; I’ve been making this recipe for years! A must at the Thanksgiving table :)

Keep glowing!
Sarah

Natalie @ FreshLifeFindings October 8, 2012

This recipe looks great! I love brussel sprouts, especially roasted and I’ve never roasted them with rosemary and garlic! Thanks for sharing :)

Page 1 of 3123»