Lightened Up Spring Stuffing

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 2, 2012

IMG_8778

A couple weeks ago, a reader named Cara emailed me with a recipe request for a vegan spring stuffing. Her complaint with traditional stuffing was that it felt too much like autumn instead of spring; it tends to be heavy, instead of light and fresh.

Cara is onto something here, don’t you think?

I love when I get recipe requests because I feel like I have a mission instead of just aimlessly trying to think up recipe ideas all the time. It’s also fun to be presented with a “problem” and then hopefully making someone happy with the end result.

IMG_8792

I got to work rounding up some of my favourite green spring-time vegetables like asparagus, green onions, and peas. I also picked up some fresh parsley and thyme for flavour. This is turning out to be one green spring stuffing!

IMG_8750

I also recommend using a hearty seed & raisin/cranberry bread (from your grocer’s bakery is fine!). The raisins and cranberries in the bread will add just a hint of sweetness, but it won’t overwhelm the stuffing. The seeds will also add texture and the thick crust will prevent the entire thing from turning to mush. I have no idea how this stuffing would turn out with another type of bread.

When you get home, slice the bread and roughly chop it up (or tear it) into 1 inch chunks. I like to leave my pieces a bit large to add texture to the finished product. Place the bread onto a baking sheet and leave out for 10-12 hours to dry out (I put mine in the oven (turned off) because Sketchie loves to steal bread!)

IMG_8746

The next day we can officially begin. Sauté the olive oil, minced garlic, carrots, and asparagus until they are just tender. Be sure not to overcook it as you want the veggies to retain some crispness in the stuffing.

IMG_8753

Now add in the peas and edamame and cook until heated through. Next, is the part that you do not want to skip – season the vegetables very well! I used a generous amount of Herbamare and ground black pepper. The Herbamare was fantastic in this, so if you can pick some up, I highly recommend it.

IMG_8754

Remove from heat and stir in the bread.

IMG_8756

followed by the fresh and dried herbs.

IMG_8757

Finally, gently stir in 1 cup of vegetable broth. Many stuffing recipes tend to call for 2 cups or more of broth, but I didn’t want this one too heavy and saturated so I just used one cup.

IMG_8758

Transfer it to a greased casserole dish, cover, and bake for 27-30 minutes at 400F.

IMG_8760

Remove the lid and allow it to cool for about 5-10 minutes if desired. It stays hot for a loooong time. I went upstairs, did some computer work, and came back 20 minutes later to still find warm stuffing! :)

IMG_8764

What you’ll have is an incredibly light stuffing bursting with spring vegetables. The bread pieces on top remain a bit crusty, while the bread underneath gets really soft, saturated, and doughy.

IMG_8769

Traditional stuffing usually gets a bad reputation for being one of the unhealthiest dishes at your dinner table. Well, now it doesn’t have to be any longer.

It’s actually so healthy, it makes a killer breakfast. I actually made this at 8:30am last week and inhaled a plate for breakfast…just throwing that out there!

IMG_8787

5 from 3 reviews

Lightened Up Spring Stuffing

Vegan, nut-free, soy-free

By

A lightened up stuffing that you can feel good about this spring. Many stuffing recipes tend to call for 2 cups or more broth, but I didn’t want this one too heavy and saturated so I just used one cup. Also, feel free to use frozen peas and edamame like I did. Just be sure to thaw overnight in the fridge and rinse and drain prior to use. I also suggest using a crusty seed & fruit bread from your local grocery or bakery. This type of bread will hold up much better in the recipe, as well as provide a light sweet flavour from the cranberries and raisins.

Yield
5 to 6 cups
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1 loaf crusty seed & cranberry raisin bread, roughly chopped into 1-inch pieces (5-6 cups packed)
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup peeled & finely chopped carrots
  • 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and finely chopped
  • 1 cup peas (if using frozen, thaw and drain first)
  • 1 cup edamame (if using frozen, thaw and drain first)
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 8-9 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • Herbamare (or salt) & ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup veggie broth or more if desired

Directions:

1. Roughly chop (or tear) bread into 1 inch chunks. Place the bread onto a baking sheet and in the (turned-off) oven overnight or for about 10-12 hours. This lets the bread firm up and get a bit hard so it retains its shape in the stuffing. If using frozen peas and edamame, place in fridge overnight to thaw. Rinse and drain before use.
  2. The next day, preheat oven to 400F and grease a 2.3 L/2.5 qt. casserole dish. Heat a large skillet or wok with 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic, carrots, and asparagus and sauté until just tender, about 8 minutes or so. Season well.
  3. Now, add in the (drained) peas, edamame, fresh lemon juice, and green onions and sauté until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in the herbs and season again with Herbamare & pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
  4. Gently, stir in the cup of broth, being careful not to overmix the bread. Transfer to prepared dish, cover, and bake for 28-30 minutes. Carefully remove lid and allow to cool for 5 mins or so before serving.

IMG_8768

Here’s little behind the scenes action for you, using my homemade photography board, diffuser, and props (herbs, burlap, and napkins). I’m also still loving Helene’s book. I highly recommend Plate to Pixel if you are getting serious about food photography. I’m trying to practice a ton in hopes that I will feel comfortable shooting all of my cookbook photography.

IMG_8790

If you are looking for a main dish to serve the stuffing with, I suggest trying the amazing Lentil Walnut Loaf. I’ve also updated my featured recipes in recipage to reflect some of my fav holiday dinner side dishes like balsamic green beans and high protein mashed potatoes.

Coming up, a mini & portable chocolate peanut butter dessert that will blow ya mind.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 2, 2012 at 8:35 am

Gasp…you mean I can eat stuffing in the spring!?!? Seriously, why are there foods that we feel like we can only eat seasonally? I’m a stuffing FREAK and now I’m going to make this and enjoy every bite…even if it feels a little naughty. Even better!

Sharon April 2, 2012 at 8:37 am

First:)

Jacqueline April 2, 2012 at 8:46 am

I love this recipe! My roommate and I were just looking the other day for delicious recipes to go along with our vegan Easter feast and I’ve got a hunch that this one will make the list. Not shocking, but the rest of the dinner menu is filled with your recipes, too!!

Angela April 2, 2012 at 8:57 am

That is so nice to hear. Enjoy your meal!

Grace - Love Your Healthy Life April 2, 2012 at 8:47 am

Oh my goodness, yum! Thank you for sharing this Angela! Find a good vegan stuffing is such a challenge.

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl April 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

This looks delicious! One thing I love about living in Holland are the many different bakeries and variations of bread.. the Dutch looove their carbs! I will definitely try this lightened up version. Thank you!

Yellow Haired Girl April 2, 2012 at 9:05 am

I’ve never thought about the fact that traditional stuffing is “fallish” – but it’s true! This recipe looks awesome! Makes me want Easter to be RIGHT NOW.

Willow April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

Beautiful recipe and photos, as always, Angela. I’m in awe of all that natural light – so jealous!

I had never even considered stuffing in spring (because it is so heavy) but this looks like such a lovely recipe. And I love the use of hearty bread, here… what a great idea!

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

I never thought about a spring stuffing but that’s a cool idea! I’d have to have some cranberry relish to go with it though. Gotta have my cranberries.

Cait's Plate April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

This looks AWESOME Angela!! I love this idea actually…I never think of stuffing for anything other than Thanksgiving but it would be such a great side dish year round!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 2, 2012 at 9:06 am

What a neat idea! I am a stuffing-lover so this is right up my alley. I bet it would be great with some fresh mint as well. Love peas and mint. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

Wow Ange, I’ve never had stuffing at Easter but this sounds fantastic! And like you said, I could probably even eat it for brekkie! My kitchen has been booming with asparagus creations lately… must be this spring sunshine hey? So glad the weather seems to finally be turning around. Your photos look so so lovely in these shots. I’ve heard of Plate to Pixel, and it’s definitely on my list of ones to read. Right now, I’m working on getting through Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots which I ordered a while ago but haven’t had time to delve into. I’m actually really looking forward to playing with my camera this weekend… might need an expert lesson from you soon! ;) Have a fab day!

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 2, 2012 at 9:17 am

This looks wonderful, Angela, and when I saw the pics, the first thing I thought was THAT is Helene’s look! Beautiful job on the photos and congrats on shooting your whole book, on your own. Not only writing and developing the recipes, but also photographing them, jack of all trades. Wow..CONGRATS!

Carrie April 2, 2012 at 9:29 am

Yum looks so good! Perfect for spring!

Maria G. April 2, 2012 at 9:35 am

Wow, this looks incredible! I LOVE stuffing, but have never thought about it outside of fall/winter holidays. Definitely going to pick up some of the ingredients I don’t have on hand and make this soon! The second picture with the herbs and burlap is gorgeous by the way!

[email protected] KatieDid April 2, 2012 at 9:38 am

love this idea! and i like how you keep the bread chunks big as opposed to chopping them up small, which is usually typical. Love all the greens and herbs, they really make for gorgeous photos.

char eats greens April 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

Love the behind the scenes camera work because honestly, even though I want to get into photography more, it’s hard for me to sometimes understand – and a visual reeeeally helps. I’m hoping once I’m done this semester, I’ll actually be able to read books for ENJOYMENT (vs. to learn – even though I guess getting a photography book is technically learning, too haha). I can’t wait for April 20th to come and go because it signals freedom!

Anon April 2, 2012 at 9:46 am

Great recipe! Your lentil loaf looks awesome as well. (typo in lentil recipe: celery stalk, not stock)

Angela April 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

well, that’s a typo for sure. Thanks, it’s fixed.

Destini April 2, 2012 at 9:53 am

Beautiful stuffing! I will make this to bring to my in-laws Easter dinner. Vegan and healthy.

Love seeing behind the scenes photos. I also own that book and its wonderful. One day I will get it :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

I find I learn something new every time I flip through it. It’s def. a book that needs to be read 100 times over. :)

Sarah April 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

That looks unreal! I can’t wait to try it out this weekend :) But even more so I can’t wait for the nest post to get this recipe for a chocolate peanut butter dessert!!! YUM

Debbie April 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

WOW! I will eat almost anything for breakfast but I never contemplated stuffing. I can’t wait to make this. BTW, I am in love with the photo of the rectangular dish on the wood – so beautiful! :-)

Angela April 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thank you Debbie!

Anna April 2, 2012 at 9:55 am

I love this recipe! We have a huge feast after Easter, and while it’s generally meat dominated, I have a feeling this will please everyone there — and give me something delicious to eat!

Nadine Veroba April 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

Looks absolutely delicious! I loooove stuffing… so this is perfect and will make me feel way less guilty for eating it :) Thanks Angela!
And your photography looks absolutely amazing!

helen April 2, 2012 at 10:24 am

Yum yum, get in my mouth!!!

Katie April 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

I think your photos have a very distinct look and it just wouldn’t be your cookbook if you weren’t also the photographer. I can’t wait to see the result!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thank you, you are too kind! I’m practicing a lot lately, trying to improve technique. It’s really fun though and I love it the more I practice.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

I’ve only made stuffing once, and it was the easy boxed variety. I’d really like to make a more grown-up version.

Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) April 2, 2012 at 10:39 am

Yum! That looks and sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try it! Also, thanks for suggesting a main dish to serve it with! :)

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites April 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

thanks for more “behind the shot scenes” love love LOVE your creativity Angela. Also, what happened to your rosemary and other herbs that were in the garage at the old place? :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm

the potted rosemary went to a neighbour I think! Although I do hope to plant some of my own this spring.

Jasper @ crunchylittlebites April 2, 2012 at 2:41 pm

you WILL plant…those pictures on your blog of you summer gardening are SO PRETTY ! and you look like you have so much fun in the garden

kris April 2, 2012 at 10:46 am

mmm looks delicious! stuffing is one of my favorite thanksgiving dishes. Now i can have it in the spring time too :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Enjoy Kris :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 2, 2012 at 10:47 am

i just love all of the bright colors! totally makes the dish :)

Mae April 2, 2012 at 11:06 am

This looks great! I’d imagine you could adapt it to just about any veg combo you prefer as well, making it a good way to “use up” whatever’s hanging in the fridge waiting to be forgotten about… I’m going to have to play with the bread though, as my husband can’t do whole cranberries/oats/some seeds (crohn’s) Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Yes it can certainly be adapted…great idea

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde April 2, 2012 at 11:24 am

Your photos look gorgeous – I have no doubt that you would do an amazing job shooting your own photography for your cookbook! I absolutely love the distressed wood board.

PS I made your lentil walnut loaf last weekend and am a big fan!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Thank you Stephanie!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the loaf. :)

The Clean Eating Mama April 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

And she does it again… looks amazing, Ange!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli April 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I made your lentil walnut loaf last week and I couldn’t get over how much it tasted like my mom’s regular meatloaf, which I haven’t had in over a year. So good! and so good on sandwiches the next day :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

haha crazy stuff! Glad to hear you enjoyed it. :)

Anna @ The Guiltless Life April 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I LOVE stuffing – and you’re right, it doesn’t need to be relegated to fall. What I love is including fruit in my stuffing – traditionally apples – so perhaps I could also make it more springlike by including a spring fruit in my spring stuffing! Also, I’m very excited for this pb and chocolate dessert :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Fruit was on my mind too…although I was too chicken to try it out. Maybe next time! Enjoy if you make it.

Hailey April 2, 2012 at 11:51 am

Mmmmm this looks absolutely delicious! I love the addition of the edamame too – this has enough protein to be a main dish served by itself ( major bonus in my book!!).

Do you think adding mushrooms would ruin the spring vibe to the dish?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Im sure it would taste delicious…I also debated putting mushrooms in but didnt want the ingredients to get too much longer. Enjoy!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm

This looks super delicious!! Great recipe! And thanks to Cara for requesting it!! lol

Earthy Nicole April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

This recipe sounds amazing and I admit I don’t think of stuffing outside of big holiday meals because it is so ‘heavy’. I’ll have to give this recipe a try!

Before you even mentioned the cookbook photography, I was thinking to myself that your food photography has really come a long way and is quite impressive. I love that you’re self-taught and that the food is real! Can’t wait for the book!

xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Thank you Nicole, that is so nice of you to say! I appreciate it.

Brittany April 2, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Oh, Angela, it look sooo good!

Can’t wait to try it!

Kristy April 2, 2012 at 12:51 pm

This looks so delicious! And I love your photos- there’s so much texture and color. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Thank you Kristy!

Mandy Jo April 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm

OH MY GOODNESS! This looks amazing! I was just thinking “hmmm what should I make for Easter that everyone will enjoy and I’ll actually eat!” You have answered my question for me! thank you!
I’m curious, why no microwave?? After I read The Kind Diet I have been trying harder not to use mine and just wondered what made you not want one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm

I hope you enjoy the stuffing!

Re: microwave- I’ve heard a lot of negative things about how it depletes nutrients in food so I figured it was time to try kickin it old school for a while. I hope to steam things on the stove top as much as I can. so far im not missing it as much as I thought and Im getting used to reheating things on the stovetop now.

Mandy Jo April 3, 2012 at 9:30 am

Yeah, I’ve heard that too :( My brother doesn’t have a microwave and I always gave him a bad time about it….Hmmmm karma? ha.
What about a toaster oven? I’ve heard you can re-heat in those on the “broil” setting? Wonder if that depletes the nutrients?
Let me know how it goes!

Karen April 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

yum…looks delicious, Ange!

Emily @ LivingLongfellow April 2, 2012 at 1:51 pm

You’re right, that would make a wonderful breakfast. I may try to assemble this for a mother’s day brunch.

Kale Crusaders April 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Wow, I really thought you had an outdoor patio for those “outdoor picnic table shots.” Impressive!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Eric will be delighted to hear that!

[email protected] April 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

I used to hate stuffing…until now! Oh my! Of course only you could change something that I didnt like, into something I need to make asap!

[email protected] weight and gain health April 2, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Your photos today are amazing – especially the first three. I thought I was on ‘Tartlette’ for a minute which is my favourite photography blog.

Amanda @ Sweet Release April 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try.

Deirdre April 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

This looks so delicious and although it is lightened up, it is still hearty enough to satisfy pre-warm weather. Thanks for sharing your creative genius!

Moni Meals April 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

oh my Angela! this is spectacular. I would love to make this tonight! I actually have almost everything I need too. I have a very similiar Spring dish too. I love these Seasons, we are so blessed, are we not? :)

oh and this mini/portable chocolate peanut butter dessert that will blow MY mind…BRING IT!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

heh I will, don’t you worry. Enjoy if you end up making it!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 2, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Yum! This looks SO good. Thanks for the recipe! Nice to see you have your whole setup ready to rock in the new place! Some nice lighting too from the looks of it. I always say ‘had I known I was going to be taking pictures of a billion different recipes by a window, I would have picked a different house’ the lighting in here can be so terrible at times!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

haha yea I know what you mean. The lighting in our old house wasn’t great because of all the trees & shade. Now, it’s the opposite…I can shoot any time of the day here. I always joke to eric that it will be really hard when we go to buy our next house heh

Aly April 2, 2012 at 6:02 pm

This looks so, so good!! Have you ever prepared stuffed artichokes? They are definitely in season and we love them in this Italian household! You have to try them!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2012 at 9:02 pm

No I havent but it’s def. on my list! yummm

Jessica @ Hungrygems April 2, 2012 at 9:29 pm

Hearty, festive, brown and filing are things I think of when I picture stuffing typically- but now perhaps bright, light, green and spring are going to be my new words!

And the photos look great!

[email protected] April 2, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Why didn’t I think about it myself? Awesome idea!

Magda April 3, 2012 at 3:06 am

This is awesome! I’m definitely making this soon, but I have one question as I have zero experience in making any kind of stuffing. Will it still be good the next day or will it get all soggy?

BTW, I’m not a native English speaker and it’s always been funny for me that this kind of dish is called stuffing or (even funnier ;)) dressing. For me stuffing is something you use to stuff something else (other than yourself ;)) and dressing is something I add to my salad ;) Newer mind the name though, this one is on my to-make list!

Life's a Bowl April 3, 2012 at 3:50 am

This is a great idea! Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving Day treat but I never understood why we don’t make stuffing any other time of the year?! I love adding diced apple/ pear for some sweetness and baking it in muffin tins to get crispy edges :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 3, 2012 at 6:07 am

Fabulous! I love the idea of spring stuffing! It looks so good!!! Great way to get my bread fix while having healthy veggies!!

Dr Julie George April 3, 2012 at 7:32 am

I recently started reading your blog and I read it for hours. Thank you for introducing me to new recipes. On my blog site I nominated you for the Liebster Award.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Karen Wapinski April 3, 2012 at 7:36 am

This looks incredibly good; I can’t wait to make this tonight ^_^

Miranda @ working mom works out April 3, 2012 at 8:05 am

This looks amazing. I think the sweetness of the bread would be key… I wonder if I can find a suitable gluten-free replacement.

LizAshlee April 3, 2012 at 8:49 am

How creative…nice to see something out of the ordinary pop up…you never think about stuffing in the spring..great idea!

Diane @ Life of Di. April 3, 2012 at 2:09 pm

This looks absolutely delicious! I will have to make it soon – maybe even for Easter (it’ll be my contribution!) :)

Gena April 4, 2012 at 10:43 am

Great recipe, Ange!

Cara April 4, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’m so excited!! I’m FAMOUS! ;-) Looking forward to making this for Easter dinner with my family. Looks FESTIVE–just what I was looking for!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm

So glad you saw this post!!! :) I hope you like it…it’s my first time making anything like this, so hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

Meghan @ Making Love In the Kitchen April 5, 2012 at 9:40 am

Lovely! Good on you for ditchin’ the microwave, it is all around bad news. I always say- why wouldn’t you replace your microwave with a juicer?? It would do you a world of good.

This recipe looks absolutely delish! Thanks for sharing!

Isabelle April 5, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hi Angela,
Found out about your blog through this recipe a few days ago. Did this one last night and everyone LOVED it, nothing left in the kiddos plates. Straight in the “Recipe to keep” binder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm

wow, kids love it too? Amazing!

Isabelle April 8, 2012 at 7:52 am

oh yeah, my kids love food, all the food: From French (I am French, hubby is British) to chinese, japanese, mexican, indian… spicy or not, vegetables… deserts.. They loved your green monster smoothie the other day, I had not told them what was in it, they had to guess, but drank the lot in 2 min flat! Everything is homemade in our house, next step is to teach them how to cook, which they want to learn too.
The one problem: my older son (he’s 16) won’t touch raw veggies, so no salads, which is very annoying especially in the summer!

Marian April 5, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Made this today for a lunch potluck. I baked it this morning and it was still warm enough to eat at lunch, and it was a huge hit! I’m a grad student, so I had to take it with me to my morning class and torture myself and others with the amazing smell for 2 hours! I will definitely be making this again. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Aw, I’m SO happy to hear that it was a hit! :)

Hannah April 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

What a great idea!! I’ve never tried to make stuffing since going gluten free…but I may just have to try this! Do you think it could hold up with a gluten free brand of bread?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I’m not sure Hannah, I haven’t really worked with any GF bread before so I’m not sure how it behaves. I would probably try looking online to see if anyone has done it already and it might give you a few ideas as to how it would behave.

Anna April 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

This was my first time making stuffing. It was delicious! The next time, I think I’ll put some more veggies and less bread. The veggies were so flavorful on their own (even with dried parsley instead of fresh.) I used a white baguette.

Susan April 6, 2012 at 8:20 am

Fantastic combo – I love cranberry raisin bread. Your photography is beautiful and your antiqued prop board turned out great

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 6, 2012 at 9:19 am

Thank you Susan!

Natalie April 8, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Wow, this looks absolutely incredible. Stuffing is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving food… it never occured to me to enjoy it all year round. Definitely adding to my must-make list!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2012 at 7:33 am

hope you enjoy it!

oceanside orthodontist April 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I’ve been looking for a recipe that I can finally try out asparagus with, and this might be it. You even added edamame to the dish. I’ll definitely bookmark this and try it out for this weekend.

Jenny April 8, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Asparagus in stuffing! What a fantastic idea!

Jill November 18, 2012 at 9:24 am

What is the best way to store leftovers? And could you make a day in advance? Looking forward to trying this one out on Thanksgiving!

Ursula April 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

I made this stuffing for Easter and it was a hit with both the meat-eaters and vegetarians! Thanks for the idea and I’m looking forward to the cookbook coming becoming available.

Audrey April 20, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I enjoyed this recipe, however I think there might be different sizes of loafs. Mine had way too much bread and when making it again I would probably use half of amount of bread next time. Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes!

Gia March 5, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Made this tonight using raisin/cranberry/pecan loaf. Didnt have time to dry out cubed bread, so toasted it briefly in the oven once it was cubed and let it dry out for a few hours afterwards. One word- Amazzzzzzzzzing! So delicious, came together perfectly. In the midst of the last of our winter weeks, spring was popping in my mouth. This will be a go-to for certain!

Lori March 12, 2016 at 6:32 pm

This is totally unrelated, but I just love your table in these photos!!
Did you build it yourselves? :)

Angela Liddon March 23, 2016 at 9:16 am

Thank you! We purchased it from a local furniture store in Burlington, Ontario.

Michelle March 13, 2016 at 5:50 pm

At what step do you add the bread? is it step 4?

Angela Liddon March 17, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Hi Michelle, yes – add the bread just before you pour in the broth. :)

Kathleen Kastner November 12, 2016 at 9:12 pm

Hi Angela,
Do you have a Thanksgiving stuffing with granny smith apples and stuffing?

I swore I printed it off your site last year, but now I can’t find it.
Thank you!

DKC April 2, 2017 at 2:07 pm

This looks delicious! I’m making it for an early Easter potluck.
But just a quick note: your description at the top of the recipe says “soy-free,” but the recipe calls for edamame, which are, of course, soybeans. You might consider either taking “soy-free” off the description, or indicating in the ingredient list something like, “optional – leave out if making soy-free” with the edamame listing to be more accurate – especially in case the soy-free part is a health/allergy necessity.

Stephanie April 16, 2017 at 9:15 pm
Recipe Rating:

I made this for Easter for my family that loves everything that requires a stick of butter in the recipe and it was a huge hit! I didn’t have asparagus so substituted celery, yet it was still great. I bought Herbamare just for it, and that will definitely find its way into my other recipes. It was so delicious (and I look forward to finishing off the small amount of leftovers for breakfast). Great recipe!

Angela Liddon April 17, 2017 at 12:18 pm

So happy to ear it was a hit, Stephanie! Hope you had a happy Easter. :)

Sue March 13, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Love to make this for Easter but is there anything you’d change to update the recipe since it’s an older one or is it a tried and true recipe that is just as awesome today as a few years ago? 😊

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2018 at 8:21 am

Hey Sue, Oh yes this is an older recipe! I remember really loving it at the time, but it’s been a while since I made it. I will put this on my list of recipes to revisit this spring. :) I remember the crusty seed & cranberry raisin loaf adding so much to this recipe, so I would suggest using a great fresh loaf as the base. The pops of cranberry and raisin were really nice (if you’re into that).

Brooklyn March 23, 2018 at 8:47 am
Recipe Rating:

Just saw this pop up in the most recent Oh She Glows newsletter and wanted to add — I made this for my large family Easter get-together back in 2012 when this recipe was first posted and it has been DEMANDED every year since! I always use a cranberry pecan bread from a local bakery and it’s absolutely delicious! While this recipe is absolutely fantastic as is, I look forward to seeing a reboot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Hey Brooklyn, Awww I’m SO Happy you left this comment…thank you!! It’s hard for me to remember sometimes when I haven’t made a recipe in a while. That’s so fun that you’re family demands it! Haha. How can you argue with that? ;) I’m really looking forward to testing it again soon.

Sue March 23, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela, I just made this as a trial stuffing for the vegan gang at Easter and it is amazing!! You’re right, the cranberry/raisin loaf adds that extra burst of flavor and it’s a bit lighter then a traditional stuffing. The only thing I would change is to double the recipe because it will be gone way too fast.😀 Yhanks so much, I love all your recipes

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Hey Sue, I’m so happy it was a hit! I plan on making this soon and adding it to the app. I love that you tried it with the cranberry raisin bread too. It’s such a treat!