Getting My Frosty On

IMG 2523   Getting My Frosty On

It’s official: I’m hooked on 5k races!

My second 5k race is under my belt…err…bib, after yesterday’s Frosty 5k race in Burlington. I had such a blast. There was also a half marathon going down…kudos to the brave souls who ran it yesterday!

IMG 2499   Getting My Frosty On

Unlike my last 5k race a few weeks ago, the skies were blue and the roads were clear. The temperature seemed innocent enough (-4C), but the wind was bone chilling being so close to the lake. Although, once I started running it wasn’t so bad. The cold isn’t as noticeable when you are breathless and busting some booty on the race course!

One thing I love about winter races? The later start time. The race didn’t start until 10:05am, so that meant that I could sleep in until almost 8am feeling nice and rested when I got up.

IMG banana   Getting My Frosty On

For some yummy pre-race fuel, I enjoyed a wrap with a banana and a couple spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter.

wrap   Getting My Frosty On

and a juicy grapefruit for extra hydration.

IMG 7722   Getting My Frosty On

We got to the race about 45 minutes early, so I took advantage of the free time to empty my bladder. However, the porta potty line ups were huge and not moving very quickly. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before bailing at the last minute so I’d make it to the start line on time. What a tease! Needless to say, holding my bladder throughout the 5k was not fun. That grapefruit clearly put me over the edge…darn you, grapefruit!

There is something to be said about running a race with hundreds of other people (well, thousands if you count the half marathoners); it’s instant motivation and the excitement is contagious, even in the winter.

IMG 2509   Getting My Frosty On

After a cold wait, it was finally time to begin!

IMG 2518   Getting My Frosty On

I got off to a slower than normal start, but it ended up being a blessing because I think I would have gone out too hard. I just wanted to sprint to get warm!

IMG 2522   Getting My Frosty On

The course itself was a simple “out and back” route on a linear, mostly flat course (along Lakeshore) which is perfect for setting a new PR. I love out and back courses because I get to see the faster people coming back (while I’m still going out) and it’s quite motivating to see them zoom by. The first place finisher had a time of 15:29! Crazy.

I felt so happy during the entire race and I think it was probably one of the strongest races that I’ve run, mentally and physically.

Soon enough I was rounding the last bend to the finish line.

See that YELLOW Powerbar “finish line”? When I rounded the last corner, I thought that was the finish line, so I gunned it as hard as I could only to discover that the finish line was actually a couple hundred metres further!

#epicfail

IMG 2537   Getting My Frosty On

I was now out of breath and really struggling not to stop and walk to the actual finish line. The spectators really gave me my last bit of motivation to keep running.

IMG 2537 2   Getting My Frosty On

There wasn’t any smiling for cameras or even looking for Eric. Just me and the finish line, baby!

IMG 2545   Getting My Frosty On

The real finish line:

IMG 2549   Getting My Frosty On IMG 2551   Getting My Frosty On

…and then I bolted to the nearest bathroom. :)

My official stats:

Chip time: 22:37

Ranking: 4th in my division (25-29 yr old women), 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners

Avg pace per km: 4:32 min/km

Avg pace per mile: 7:16 min/mile

I beat my previous 5k race time by just over 30 seconds, so that was a nice bonus. I think the speed work has been helping!

IMG 2557   Getting My Frosty On

I came home and made a recovery smoothie and then had a hot shower. Hot shower = Best feeling ever after a winter race.

IMG 2559   Getting My Frosty On

I used this Vega Performance protein powder and added in a big frozen banana and lots of almond milk. Yum.

IMG 2562   Getting My Frosty On

The nutritional info (click to enlarge)

IMG 2564 thumb   Getting My Frosty On

Sketchie was overjoyed to hear about my race. Not.

IMG 7847   Getting My Frosty OnIMG 7875   Getting My Frosty On IMG 7876   Getting My Frosty On

So as you can tell, I’m loving the 5k distance. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised because I used to run short distances in track and field and always loved them.

Here are some things that I love about 5k races…

• Shorter recovery time: I’m not too sore after my 5k races (just stiff muscles). After my last 5k race I took a couple days off exercise and then I felt fine to get back into my normal routine. After my half marathons however, I had to take 2 weeks off exercise to recover and occasionally sustained mild injuries. The reduced down time with the 5k is a major plus in my books! Of course, that’s not to say that you can’t get injured running a 5k because you obviously can with any distance.
  • Less training time: My 5k training runs are between 3-5 miles, about 4 times per week. I don’t have to spend more than about 25-45 minutes out of my day to train. This is a huge plus when busy.
  • Less Prep: I don’t need to bring water, energy gels, or anything else like I do with longer distances. It’s quite effortless to prepare for.

Have you ever run a 5k race or are you thinking about running one some day? For all of you runners: what is your favourite race distance?

If you are looking to start running, I’ve heard great things about the Couch to 5k 9-week running program. If you start now, you can run your first 5k race at the beginning of May! Maybe if some of you have done the C25k before, leave a comment below telling us about your experience. It may help others who are thinking about starting.

Carla March 6, 2012

Not sure if I could run in the cold! You make the 5K sound like something I could do — although I doubt I could do it in a decent time. I downloaded the Couchto5K program this weekend and I’m supposed to do my first session tonight. Fingers crossed!

Amy March 6, 2012

Ang = fast like a cobra!

Way to go! :)

Melissa Shirey March 6, 2012

I WAS starting the 9 week couch to 5k training this past sunday, but have an awful cold. I will have to cut off a week and start this sunday. I am super excited to run my first 5k ever!!!!

Kayla @ The Best Things March 6, 2012

Wow! I’m from Southern Ontario too.. and you’re brave to run a race right now! Congrats!

Allison March 6, 2012

Congrats!! I always feel inspired after reading your blog. BTW Sketchie is so cool, I think he should have his own blog ;)

Sarah March 6, 2012

You are FAST girlfriend! Congrats! you must be thrilled! I LOVE the entire Vega Sport line… The protein bars taste ridiculously indulgent and I jokingly call the Pre-Workout Energizer running crack because I SWEAR I can feel a huge burst of energy flowing through my legs after I take it. Amazing stuff ;)
My favorite distance is 13.1 miles. I love half marathons because while I am not super speedy I have a ton of endurance. I can just go on and on and on. A speedier 5k is one of my goals though.. I would love to finish a 25:00 5k… right now I am hovering just around 27:00. I am really looking forward to following your running Angela!!

Leia March 6, 2012

Lesson learned: pee before you leave home! :P

Your race time is so motivational to me – 4.32/km is like sprinting for me! I definitely need to work on my speed. :)

alicia March 6, 2012

Hi and congratulations on the awesome run! I am in week 6 of the C25K and am loving it. At first I tought it was a slow start and then I thought the time runs increased by too much, but now I just figure they know what they are doing and I find it to be just challenging enough.

I have a couple of 5Ks planned for the end of March and am really looking forward to them.

Elizabeth March 6, 2012

I did the Runners Den running program before I had my second daughter and I used to run before both girls. Starting the couch to 5K next week – going to make myself an exercise calendar and switch between running and my new spinning bike (!!!). I am going to sign up for the Ancaster Old Mill 5K in June – and see if there is anything in May. I think there might be something in Burlington??

Great time!! Wow!!

Where do you get those great glass straws – please share! :)

Thanks for always inspiring me. You have no idea.

Robyn March 6, 2012

Good morning,,,you really are a speedy gonzales!! Wow,,,congrats it looked like it would have been very invigorating. I only started running over a year ago,,,I’m 46 and wish I would have started yrs ago(I love it). My best time so far is 26 min. for a 5K, but usually do a 10K…and have been trying to incorporate one or two speed runs. I have always done yoga and weights but really enjoying the running and the hot showers and yummy food after never seems as good as then. Love the kitty photos too,,,hope your day is a great one.

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy March 6, 2012

Congrats on an awesome 5k race! That is an awesome race time!

Alise March 6, 2012

Way to go! You are a little speed demon… that is AMAZING time. I am happy when I clock a 9:50/min mile-LOL. I’ve never run a 5k but you have me thinking twice about that. I have my 3rd half marathon this Saturday. Keep up the running, it keeps us sane. :-)

Sheesh March 6, 2012

Congrats! And what a great time! I just did my second 5k on Sunday, so much fun, need to do more speed work like you to shave off a few more minutes lol. I have never run a 10k or a half, I plan to one day, but I’m having so much fun with 5k’s right now, like you said, much less prep and stress.

Good luck on your next race :)

Brigid March 6, 2012

I ran my first 5k in December and am signed up for my second in April! I am still not in great shape, but I felt so accomplished, especially after tackling all the crazy hills. The next one is flat, so I expect my time to be much better.

Katy March 6, 2012

C25K is how I started running! I’m now using the same site to train for my first half marathon :-) I highly recommend it. You have to stick with it and not try to push ahead. It’s paced very well. Since we are on the topic of running, what is your favorite brand of sports bra? Now that I’m doing longer distances I find that nipple chafing is becoming a real problem :-\

Trish Adams March 7, 2012

I love that you did this race. I tried running last year with no luck. Iam back running started this week and just did my first outdoor run (in the beautiful GTA weather!).
I am planning on a 5 km Run this year, or more than one!
PS. Wendel (my pug) was as impressed as Sketchie. lol
Keep me inspired!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2012

Goodluck Trish! :)

Erika - The Teenage Taste March 7, 2012

Congratulations on an excellent race, Angie! You are so fast – I hope I’ll be able to run a 22-minute 5K one day!

Valerie March 7, 2012

That is a great 5k time, congrats!
I’ve just started running (6 months) and have run 2 5ks. First 10k in 3 weeks, and a 15k in July. I need to work on recovery food and prep food, what do you suggest?

Heather @ For the Love of Kale March 8, 2012

AMAZING job, Angela! That is a seriously awesome time. :-) I love 5Ks too. It’s the perfect distance for me because i’m not a huge fan of longer runs. I can’t lie, I LOL’d when I got to the part about you mistaking the finish line. Aww! You still rocked it, though! Also, Vega chocolate protein performance is my FAVORITE protein powder ever. I love the mild chocolate flavor. Are you a fan?

BeckyA March 8, 2012

Congrats on the great time! Great place!

I got through about 8 weeks of C25K about a year back and was doing well. I really liked the progression – just enough of a challenge each week and not too intimating. Then I hurt my knee and hip. Chiropractor said I had to stop and switch to elliptical sessions. :(

I’ve since lost some weight and tried restarting C25K. I am in week 2 and it’s going soo much smoother. I forgot how good it feels to run. I would like to do a 5K in the near future. But have’t been brave enough to sign up for a race yet and really commit.

But you make it seem so easy, and FUN!

Megan March 9, 2012

you’re really inspiring! I am not much of a runner, but I really want to get into it and do races. It looks like a lot of fun and something to feel accomplished about. How did you get the motivation to be a runner?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2012

Hey Megan! You might be interested in reading about how I got started: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/08/20/my-running-journey-from-1-minute-to-10-miles/

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 9, 2012

I really want to get in to running, but need to build up slowly. My can easily run 5, 8, 10k but I struggle to keep up. I think I focus a lot of my energy on strength work instead of cardio. I’m hoping to add in more treadmill work soon though! P.S. nice stats on the protein powder…definitely looks like it would help with recovery

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles March 10, 2012

I love 5Ks! Running a ST. Petty’s Day race next weekend. They’re so quick and fun. I guess I need to do some speedwork now!

Danielle November 17, 2012

I came across your website through a google search, and noticed we both ran the frosty this year as I was scrolling down I noticed I was in one of your pictures lol. I mean what are the odds, that is to funny. Your time was awesome :) maybe I’ll see you there in 2013.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

ahhh that is too funny! Now Im curious which runner you are in the photos! heh. Glad you found the blog. :)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia December 20, 2012

How cool! I am way too lazy for any type of running stuffs, but that’s great you are into it
Awesome pics of your cat by the way, he looks terrific:D

Page 4 of 4«1234