Getting My Frosty On

IMG_2523

It’s official: I’m hooked on 5k races!

My second 5k race is under my belt…err…bib, after yesterday’s Frosty 5k race in Burlington. I had such a blast. There was also a half marathon going down…kudos to the brave souls who ran it yesterday!

IMG_2499

Unlike my last 5k race a few weeks ago, the skies were blue and the roads were clear. The temperature seemed innocent enough (-4C), but the wind was bone chilling being so close to the lake. Although, once I started running it wasn’t so bad. The cold isn’t as noticeable when you are breathless and busting some booty on the race course!

One thing I love about winter races? The later start time. The race didn’t start until 10:05am, so that meant that I could sleep in until almost 8am feeling nice and rested when I got up.

IMG_banana

For some yummy pre-race fuel, I enjoyed a wrap with a banana and a couple spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter.

wrap

and a juicy grapefruit for extra hydration.

IMG_7722

We got to the race about 45 minutes early, so I took advantage of the free time to empty my bladder. However, the porta potty line ups were huge and not moving very quickly. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before bailing at the last minute so I’d make it to the start line on time. What a tease! Needless to say, holding my bladder throughout the 5k was not fun. That grapefruit clearly put me over the edge…darn you, grapefruit!

There is something to be said about running a race with hundreds of other people (well, thousands if you count the half marathoners); it’s instant motivation and the excitement is contagious, even in the winter.

IMG_2509

After a cold wait, it was finally time to begin!

IMG_2518

I got off to a slower than normal start, but it ended up being a blessing because I think I would have gone out too hard. I just wanted to sprint to get warm!

IMG_2522

The course itself was a simple “out and back” route on a linear, mostly flat course (along Lakeshore) which is perfect for setting a new PR. I love out and back courses because I get to see the faster people coming back (while I’m still going out) and it’s quite motivating to see them zoom by. The first place finisher had a time of 15:29! Crazy.

I felt so happy during the entire race and I think it was probably one of the strongest races that I’ve run, mentally and physically.

Soon enough I was rounding the last bend to the finish line.

See that YELLOW Powerbar “finish line”? When I rounded the last corner, I thought that was the finish line, so I gunned it as hard as I could only to discover that the finish line was actually a couple hundred metres further!

#epicfail

IMG_2537

I was now out of breath and really struggling not to stop and walk to the actual finish line. The spectators really gave me my last bit of motivation to keep running.

IMG_2537-2

There wasn’t any smiling for cameras or even looking for Eric. Just me and the finish line, baby!

IMG_2545

The real finish line:

IMG_2549 IMG_2551

…and then I bolted to the nearest bathroom. :)

My official stats:

Chip time: 22:37

Ranking: 4th in my division (25-29 yr old women), 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners

Avg pace per km: 4:32 min/km

Avg pace per mile: 7:16 min/mile

I beat my previous 5k race time by just over 30 seconds, so that was a nice bonus. I think the speed work has been helping!

IMG_2557

I came home and made a recovery smoothie and then had a hot shower. Hot shower = Best feeling ever after a winter race.

IMG_2559

I used this Vega Performance protein powder and added in a big frozen banana and lots of almond milk. Yum.

IMG_2562

The nutritional info (click to enlarge)

IMG_2564

Sketchie was overjoyed to hear about my race. Not.

IMG_7847IMG_7875 IMG_7876

So as you can tell, I’m loving the 5k distance. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised because I used to run short distances in track and field and always loved them.

Here are some things that I love about 5k races…

• Shorter recovery time: I’m not too sore after my 5k races (just stiff muscles). After my last 5k race I took a couple days off exercise and then I felt fine to get back into my normal routine. After my half marathons however, I had to take 2 weeks off exercise to recover and occasionally sustained mild injuries. The reduced down time with the 5k is a major plus in my books! Of course, that’s not to say that you can’t get injured running a 5k because you obviously can with any distance.
  • Less training time: My 5k training runs are between 3-5 miles, about 4 times per week. I don’t have to spend more than about 25-45 minutes out of my day to train. This is a huge plus when busy.
  • Less Prep: I don’t need to bring water, energy gels, or anything else like I do with longer distances. It’s quite effortless to prepare for.

Have you ever run a 5k race or are you thinking about running one some day? For all of you runners: what is your favourite race distance?

If you are looking to start running, I’ve heard great things about the Couch to 5k 9-week running program. If you start now, you can run your first 5k race at the beginning of May! Maybe if some of you have done the C25k before, leave a comment below telling us about your experience. It may help others who are thinking about starting.

1 Katie March 5, 2012

Wow you’re fast! That looks like a lot of fun. I did the Couch to 5k last year, and went from never having run a step to getting hooked! I’m ready for some races around here, although I’m not as fast as you. I’m gonna start doing your speed workouts….

2 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 5, 2012

You killed it! Congrats :) I have a love hate relationship with 5ks. Love the minimal prep time like you mentioned and that it’s only 20-25 minutes of running but also hate that it’s only 20-25 mins of running b/c I feel a lot more pressure to sprint and run FAST the entire time. No pacing myself like in a half and that is exhausting in and of itself!

3 Angela March 5, 2012

Yea that is so true! Pros and cons to every distance I guess :)

4 Greta @ Staying Lost March 5, 2012

Congratulations on the new PR! I love how unamused Sketchie looks. I guess Sketchie would prefer that you stayed home and petted him!

5 Jessie March 5, 2012

Congratulations on your speedy race! :)

I’m a C25k graduate. I completed the program over the summer of 2010 and ran my first 5k that September. It really works! I definitely hit a mental block when I hit the 20 minute point, but my advice is to change the scenery (I went from running only on the treadmill to running outside) to keep up the motivation. I went on to complete a half marathon about a year after starting the program. Just stick with it!

6 Angela March 5, 2012

Thank you for sharing Jessie! Congrats on all the progress you made. Running a half marathon after just a year of running is quite a feat!

7 Antonia March 5, 2012

Wow. Congrats on your new PR. You are one fast runner. I’m currently training for my first race (10K) and seeing other people run races that fast really keeps me motivated…thanks for that!

8 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 5, 2012

Excellent time!! Looks like you had fun even if the kitty didn’t seem impressed. ;-)

The Mr is looking to run a 5K some day. I’ll just quietly cheer y’all on from the sidelines!

9 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 5, 2012

Congrats on a great race and PR, Speedy Gonzales!

10 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 5, 2012

I LOVE your new header!

Great race time! It’s amazing what having to pee and cold weather can do… not to mention you’re in stellar shape. :) Congrats!

11 Angela March 5, 2012

I think my bursting bladder shaved off about 10 seconds at least, heh

12 Kate March 5, 2012

My favourite distance is the half-marathon, hands down. I’ve run 7 since 2010, and am planning (hopefully) to run 4 more this year. Though I agree with you on the 5K being a super fun distance, its a nice change from a longer distance because its so quick and you get the opportunity to increase your speed!

Excellent work!

13 Alex @ Raw Recovery March 5, 2012

One of my goals this year is to run a 5k. I’ve definitely got to check out more of your racing and training posts and reread them for good tips. Congrats on another race!

14 Ileana March 5, 2012

That’s awesome. Congrats!

15 Karen March 5, 2012

I have been thinking of starting C25K so it’s interesting to hear other people saying it has worked.
You ran by my house yesterday haa and I wanted to look out for you and cheer you on but I was freezing haa I did mentally say GO ANGELA GO !!

16 Angela March 5, 2012

well, thank you! I probably wouldnt have gone outside either ;)

17 Ashley March 5, 2012

Wow! Congrats! I am so impressed with how much your times have improved. That would be a full on sprint for me the entire way, which I don’t think is possible. :)

18 Ginger March 5, 2012

Awesome time! (crazy pace) …I was one of the brave souls running the half marathon (my 1st) it was a great course nice and flat and we did luck out with sunny cool day! Perfect running weather! Congrats! :)

19 Angela March 5, 2012

Congrats for running the half! I don’t know if I could do it in that weather. Hope you had a restful second half of the day.

20 Debi March 5, 2012

You are inspiring Angela! I am looking forward to running in my first 5k this year. We are just moving to Calgary next month, and i am going to look up a 5k race as soon as we get settled there. You do run fast that is for sure! I am training on the treadmill now 3 times a week and the stepper twice a week. I am probably running a 11 min mile now, so I have a way to go, but i just love to run :)

21 Angela March 5, 2012

As long as you enjoy what you do, nothing else matters :) Goodluck with your first 5k!

22 Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 5, 2012

What a speedster you are! Awesome time!
I ran numerous 5k races as a part of my high school cross country team. In fact, it’s the only distance I’ve ever run!
At our invitationals there were ALWAYS ridiculously long lines at the bathrooms so my team usually resorted to going in the woods! This made my (40 year old and male) coach SO uncomfortable! I’m laughing out loud thinking back to those days…

23 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 5, 2012

Awesome race!!!! Congrats!! I haven’t ever done a 5k but I’m starting training now for my second 1/2… Which I love! :)

24 Jeremy March 5, 2012

Nice work on the race! In the two or so years that I’ve been running, I’ve only done a couple of races – a 10k and a 5k. They’re a ton of fun, though, so hopefully I’ll get some more under my belt.

During normal workouts, I usually find it easier to motivate myself to go for distance rather than speed, so my pace isn’t all that great. That’s something I need to work on, though, since it’s becoming more and more difficult to squeeze the miles into the allotted time.

25 Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2012

i just can’t bring myself to spend the money for race fees, but there are definitely times that i would totally consider doing one…money is motivating after all!

26 Shannon March 5, 2012

Your race story was inspirational! As a new runner, I’m always intimidated by cold weather — I run around the track at my gym to train for my first 5k, which is in early June. As I gain more speed and become a more confident runner, perhaps I’ll transition to running outside — your post makes me want to get out there and run around in the snow! :)

27 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 5, 2012

Congrats Ange! You did such an amazing job and well done for braving the cold!! I’ve been working a lot of speedwork into my running lately too, and you’re right, I really do think it’s going to make a difference! Sounds like you’ve totally caught the racing bug! :)
It’s funny that you’ve got the new Vega because I just bought myself a sampler pouch of the Vanilla and am trying it out tomorrow! Recently I found a deal on the Whole Food Health Optimizer that I love (and they’re phasing it out for the Vega One product, which I’m assuming is why it was on sale) – 2 tubs for about $65!!! I totally jumped on it right away so am very well stocked now.
Have a fabulous Monday! :)

28 kim March 6, 2012

Hi, What is this?

29 Hailey March 5, 2012

Congratulations Angela! That’s such an amazing feeling to beat your PR by so much…that’s huge! I think I’m pretty weird when it comes to racing. I’ve only been running for about a year and a half now, but my first race was a half marathon and since then I’ve done three marathons and am training for my fourth. I must say that the marathon is my favorite distance, despite the long recovery time and the pain and suffering that ensues. There is just something so addictive and unbelievably satisfying about a marathon finish line, that I literally am overcome with joy and I forget everything I just went through for 26.2 miles. It is definitely a huge time commitment and it takes up a lot of week nights and weekends, but in the end when I see the finish line it is just so worth it.

I need to try out your speed workout, because I seem to be stuck in a rut of 10 – 11 minute miles for all of my long runs and I just get nervous about going too fast that I won’t be able to finish all of the miles!

And btw, marathon porta-potties mid race are hands down one of the most disgusting experiences EVER so I always wait in the lines to go before hand. Saves you the gagging and disgust later. :-)

30 Angela March 5, 2012

I could totally see that about the feeling you describe after running a marathon. It would be like nothing else! Congrats on all your amazing accomplishments. I started with a 10k, 10 miler, then three halfs, then 10k, now im down to 5ks. :)

31 Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 5, 2012

Congrats!!! That is honestly such a big accomplishment, way to go!

32 Angela March 5, 2012

awesome time. Reading this is motivating for me. I signed up for a 1/2 marathon beg of May and haven’t run in 3 weeks. I just can’t muster up the motivation to get out of bed at 430am to go outside and drive to the health club. But I think I’ll get out of bed and go out in the cold (live in Chicago) tmrw morning thanks to reading this!!!

This will be my first 1/2. I have been drinking green smoothie’s every morning for about 5 years AFTER I do a morning workout. The race is in 10 weeks but I am already trying to decide if I should drink my green smoothie before or after the 8 am race. Have you ever drank a green smoothie before a race; or do you always do a carb/protein based breakfast like you pictured above? Thanks!

33 Angela March 5, 2012

I honestly don’t have a set pre-race breakfast. I’ve done smoothies before races and I was fine. I think the most important thing is to test it out before the actual race day and then you will know how your body reacts. :)

34 Lauren (Maillard's Mistress) March 5, 2012

Congrats on your race! This coming Sunday I’ll be running my first 5k. I’m pretty excited to see how I do and how fast I can go. I’ve ran three halfs and so I think this will be great mentally to just go out there and get it done.

35 Angela March 5, 2012

Goodluck! If you are used to half marathons it will seem so short and sweet (well it did for me)

36 Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 5, 2012

Awesome job!! I don’t run races or anything, but I think having to use the bathroom during one would be one of my biggest fears!

37 Rhona March 5, 2012

You look like you had a really good time. some runners look like death after they run…like me and I am so NOT a runner. I just try but I really don’t like it. In any case, you made that race look super fun. The new PR is amazing. Telling you the truth, if that were me, I would probably still be running the race now. I am that slow. :) And that smoothie, yummo!

38 Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 5, 2012

congrats on your race anglea! plus you always look super cute! I think I am going to really try come of your boredom blaster speed work! :) thanks for sharing! plus the photos of Sketchie are so much fun!

39 Sally @ Sally Spins March 5, 2012

Congratulations on an amazing finish! I am thinking about running my first half marathon in April. I really like your race comparison though. I might have to stick to 5Ks after getting one half under my belt.

40 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove March 5, 2012

Wonderful job! You are so inspiring (I still can’t motivate myself to run).

41 Kerry Burns March 5, 2012

Angela, that is an amazing time! Congrats on that. Wow!!
Are you using a specific training plan or several different ones for your training (specifically speed work?)
Burlington is having a Good Friday 5km and 10miler race. I just signed up for the 10miler…are you planning on any more 5kms in the near future? You’re right, Burlington is nice and flat…and clearly quick ;)

42 Stephanie March 5, 2012

Awesome job!! I was wondering how you like the Vega protein powder? Does it taste ok? I have been looking for a good one. I currently have BioChem Vegan Protein in chocolate, but it tastes pretty nasty.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

I think it tastes decent, similar to chocolate milk in a weird way. The only thing I dont like about it is that it’s sweetened with stevia and im not a huge fan of the taste of stevia. the nutritional stats are very impressive though.

44 Ang W March 5, 2012

Ok Ange, you’ve got me thinking. My good friend just asked me the other day if I wanted to join her in doing the C25K program and I got kind of excited, and kind of scared, and then sort of forgot about it. I used to run all the time in my teens, but I seem to have started shying away from competitive things… fear of failure sort of thing, I’ve been realizing. This may be the perfect way for me to start overcoming that! Thanks for the motivation :)

45 Bianca March 5, 2012

OMG I definitely would’ve thought that yellow thing was the finish line. What a tease!

And yes — there are few things more amazing than a hot shower after a cold winter race. It just feels SO SO good!!!

46 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 5, 2012

I love 5ks b/c there is really no “training” involved, they are short and sweet, and no matter how much you are hating it in the moment, I always tell myself, I can do anything for 20-25 mins and live to tell the tale :) Less injuries b/c of less long-distance training, less time spent…I love 5 & 10ks and have probably ran at least 150 races or so in those distances.

Congrats on your race!

47 lissa - shrinking jeans March 5, 2012

Way to go!

Couch to 5K rocks for beginning runners!

48 Susan March 5, 2012

I did the Couch to 5k program about a year and half ago and it was great! I had literally never run a mile (without walking) before and I hated running. It’s just a matter of easing into it and now I really enjoy running 5ks! I’m still not fast but I do truly enjoy it now.

49 LizAshlee March 5, 2012

CONGRATS Ange..a hot shower is the best thing after a race…of course, along with tasty food! I love Vega products…I had the pleasure of enjoy Vega One protein packets with almond milk and stevia while I was away on my trip (at a Integrative Nutrition Conference) so satisfying!

50 Leah March 5, 2012

Congrats!! I’d love to hear more about your workout schedule lately. I think it’s great you are focusing on the 5K distance.. I love quick runs, especially during the week after a long work day!

51 Tory March 5, 2012

Congratulations, Angela! What an amazing race time!
I’m currently in the midst of the Couch to 5K program – I’m actually going to start week 6 tonight. I have to admit, it’s been kind of scary for me – as I’ve never run before. Increasing my running times as I’ve progressed through has been a big mental hurdle I’ve struggled with (I’ve actually repeated some weeks out of fear) – but I’m discovering that it’s so rewarding when I do step up to the challenges as I move along in the program and then overcome them. It’s a big confidence booster too! Anyway – I’m signed up for my first 5K on the 24th of this month. My only for this race is to just complete it. :)

52 Faith @ For the Health of It March 5, 2012

Wow, that was super speedy! Congrats!

I love your jacket so much it’s scary. Is it Lulu/do you happen to know the style name?

53 Kendra B. March 5, 2012

Yes I love your jacket too, who makes it??

54 Angela March 5, 2012

Thanks! Yes, it’s Lululemon, the Run Distance Pullover I believe.

55 Michaela March 5, 2012

that is an amazing time, Angela!!
Congrats :)
I am currently looking for races to sign up, preferably 10K, as 5K is a bit short for me, I prefer longer distances.

56 Kendra B. March 5, 2012

Nice job! I jog/run with my dog usually around 3 miles a day, 5 days a week, sometimes longer and usually on very hilly roads. I have been doing this for several years. I have always wanted to do a 5k but am nervous I am going to be so much slower than everyone else! I am also a vegan (going on 6 years now :D) and in good shape physically but I think I put too much pressure on myself to be “the best.” Anyway, you might have just inspired me to finally run a 5k this spring! So thank you for that and congrats on a great run!
Also, I wondered what kind of straws you use? They almost look like the are made of glass. Great photography by the way! :D

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

Goodluck if you decide to do it! What I love about racing is that there are literally every fitness level and body type among the group. Its so inspiring! I always say as long as you have fun it doesnt matter what your time is in the end.

58 Brittany *Sparkles* March 5, 2012

Awesome race time! so true I love the motivational feel of the crowds!!!!

59 Jessica @ Chockohlawtay March 5, 2012

Congrats on being 4th in your division, that’s awesome! I just bought a tub of the Vega One nutritional shake in chocolate flavor… it tastes so good with oatmeal, hazelnut butter, strawberries and some stevia to make it dessert-like. You should try it!
-Jess

60 Cassie March 5, 2012

congrats on your race. i am so lucky that we have way warmer weather this time of year. i did my first seasons 5k saturday and it was great. i just walked as usual but i still love getting up early and feeling accomplished by 9am. i got great energy for the day and worked in my yard and cleaned the house. i have 4 5ks scheduled in the next 2 months. just love it. keep it up!

61 Gail March 5, 2012

Congrats on your time! That’s great! I could never run a 5k in less than 30 minutes. Shoot, it would take me almost 40-45 minutes to do a 5k :0( I guess if I wasn’t old and didn’t have surgery in both my knees I’d have a faster time. Oh well, this has definitely motivated me to get more running in – I love it!

I also LOVE your Sketchie pictures. Are you as obsessed about your pet’s paws and I am about mine – I just love their paws – so cute!

62 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed March 5, 2012

I’m running a 5K this weekend, getting exciting! You are CRAZY FAST! Seriously girl, you killed it! Love the new banner, I’ve been waiting for it to change over and it looks great!

63 Moni'sMeals March 5, 2012

That is awesome! Great job and dang it looked cold too. :)

Love your Sketchie and have a great day.

64 Kris | iheartwellness.com March 5, 2012

WOOO HOOO!!!! Congrats girl!!!! What a great PR!!! I’ve only ever ran an 8k…ever and it scared me so much to even jump into a 5K! Ryan {my man} runs races all the time and has a FULL coming up….barf!

xxoo

65 Val March 5, 2012

Congratulations on the race and your ranking; well done! (:

I would love to run a 5k! When I get a little older and I’m out on my own, that is something I’ll be looking forward to. I have a question for you, or anyone, about running in the cold weather. Whenever I’ve gone for a jog (to say I run would be overemphasizing, haha), the cold ends up burning my throat. Is there anything to help prevent that, or is it just something that you get used to/deal with? Thank you!

66 Lacia March 5, 2012

Wow, that time is amazing!!! Congrats!

I did the couch to 5k program and loved it. I have always hated running and honestly have no idea what possessed me to start. Probably the inexpensiveness (not a word I know) of it, and the fact I could go whenever suited me. No class schedule to try and stick to. C25K took me from a complete non runner (and former hater) to a runner, and a lover of running. I did the program almost 2 years ago and I have run a few races, one of them a 1/2 marathon, and I’m currently training for another 1/2. For anyone who has any doubts that they can run any kind of distance (and actually enjoy it), give it a try and just do it. It’s a great stress reliever and you’ll feel so good about yourself.

67 jaimie March 5, 2012

i am so jealous! i was supposed to dp the chilly half, but ITB pain was too much! i decided two weeks ago after a 15km run that since the pain started at 12km in each time, there was no WAY i could do 21.1. so back to the gym and strength training program for me…

last year i did the chilly and experienced the same thing with the washrooms! i however waited until i could go, and thats when the race started! i ended up with the 1:30 pace bunny because of that, which was a little too ambitious for me and caused me some serious fatigue halfway through! not fun! but still LOVE that race!

68 Tamara March 5, 2012

5km are my fav!!! (with or without my 8 year old). can’t wait to get another one on!!!

Congrats on the time too!!! You rock!!

T

69 Cyndi March 5, 2012

Wow, great race, congrats on the new PR!!! I like 1/2 marathon, sprinting has never been my forte and track work, more slow twitching going on in these muscles and I love a long slow run.

70 Nicole March 5, 2012

Congrats on a great race! 10Ks are my favorite!

71 Cyndy March 5, 2012

If you like short distances and a challenge – you should try 5 Peaks series over the summer. These are cross country runs (sport distance of 7 – 8kms) – There is a series for southern Ontario – Great Challenge and Lots of Fun!!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

I’ve heard great things about them. Are they run on trails?

73 Deirdre March 5, 2012

You are such an inspiration!!
Also- love the new banner!

74 Annie March 5, 2012

Congrats on your (super zippy!) race! I am so jealous at how cute you looked running it; I always look like one hot mess. Embarrassing!

My favorite distance is 10k. While the 5k is thrilling, I feel like it cuts me off just when I’m just get into the “groove” (it takes me a couple of miles to get into the rhythm). I had fun completing a half recently, but I decided afterwards that spending any more than an hour doing any cardio puts me on the fast lane towards burnout. With the 10k, I typically run 5 miles a day 3 times a week, so I don’t need to train for an impromptu 10k with the exception of some speed training here and there. Plus, I’m done in an hour or less! I can walk away feeling like I got a GREAT workout but not be too stressed out at any time I used up that could have been allocated towards the other important things I gotta do in life. It fits nice and neat into my little life.

As for the Couch to 5k – LOVE the program! It is my go-to program every time I get back into running. I’ve tried other running programs, but always conclude that C25k is THE best to train mentally and physically.

75 Christy March 5, 2012

I want to know where you got your hat from, I love it!

And congrats on the race :)

76 Nicole March 5, 2012

Congrats on your race pace and I love Vega products! I love 5ks but I have a 15k coming up this Saturday…. The 15k is great because it’s easier than a half marathon but it still provides quite the challenge. Especially when you hit the last bridge at mile 8!

77 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 5, 2012

Whoa- you are SUPER fast! My 5k PR is a good 2 minutes slower than yours! Did you win your age group? I bet you were in the top finishers at least! Great job!!
Both your pre and post race fuel look delicious!
It’s funny- I can run twice or three times the distance of a 5k for a workout and not be sore afterwards. But the day after a 5k I am always hurting. I guess it’s just because I go “all out” and use so much energy during races.

78 Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 5, 2012

I’m a big fan of 5Ks too – or I WAS, when I ran (I’ve had a bad knee for a while so I don’t run too much anymore). I’m really not a long-distance runner, I’ve done a couple of 10Ks but they’re kinda brutal to me. I get bored fast, what can I say! I definitely never trained for 5Ks intensely enough to break a 24-minute time, so good for you, that is an awesome time! Gotta say though, running with a full bladder does not sound fun!

79 Ruth March 5, 2012

I did a C2-5k just this past autumn after next-to-nothing for a long time. I agree with a previous comment about the mental block at 20 minutes. I also found that getting outside made that easier, which I did even though it was late November and COLD here in Pennsylvania. Glad I did, though, because I discovered that I actually rather enjoy running in the cold! It is about the only time in my day that I feel warm!

My other reflection on the C2-5K program is to give one’s self grace. There were definitely days that I just couldn’t get myself to run the number of minutes the program asked me to do – I just walked instead. I tried really hard to not get down on myself when I couldn’t quite get to the prescribed benchmarks. I’d think instead of how much longer I could run than 2 weeks before, even if it wasn’t as much as I was “supposed” to be running. I tried to listen to my body – if I felt really tired or if I had pain, I’d let myself off the hook for the full running portion and just WALK; I even adjusted my expectation to finish the program in whatever # of weeks…as long as I was progressing, it didn’t matter how long it took.

And, it all worked out in the end – I ran a 5K race December 31 after starting the program around October 5. I’m living proof that it’s possible to go from nothing to consistent running, even for someone who has always begrudged running. And now, my sights are set on a half-marathon. Up to 8 miles on my weekend run this past Saturday! I encourage people to try a Couch to 5K program if they’re interested in running even a little bit.

80 Epicurean Vegan March 5, 2012

Wow! That’s a great time–well done! I completely agree–5Ks are great–for the exact same reasons you give. I’ve done three so far and I plan to do a at least three this year–that’s the plan, anyway. I admire anyone who can do 10Ks and marathons; I can’t imagine training for those.

81 kaila @ healthyhelper March 5, 2012

Just so you know…you’re new header isn’t showing up on the blog anymore!!

Nice job on the 5 k!! I like shorter distances like that too! You still feel accomplished but without all the prep and extra time!

82 jude March 5, 2012

Congrats on your PR!

I am doing the Couch to 5K. The end result feels impossible, but I just focus on the fact that each week is possible, and I can take longer if I need it. It helps tons to focus on the slowest jog speed possible in the beginning. I have seen many people post on the c25k boards that their walking speed is faster than my jog speed, but someone has to set the bell curve on the other end. :)

I just switched to Garden of Life’s Raw Organic Protein powder for my smoothies. I am really liking it.

83 Amanda March 5, 2012

Congrats on the pr! Quite impressive! I’m working through the Couch to 5K program right now, as an overweight first time runner, but I’m loving it. It’s such a gradual and gentle way to break into running. And, seriously, if I can do it, I really believe anyone can. My first 5K is in July–I’m doing the Color Run :)

84 Cait's Plate March 5, 2012

Yay! Good for you! Congrats :)

85 Erin March 5, 2012

I really appreciate your running posts because you give a lot of great little details about the experience. So many people glaze over all that, and as someone gearing up to run her first 5k, it’s nice to know what to expect :) It looks like you had a good time!

I’m currently on week 5 of Couch to 5k and I really like it. It’s nice because they increase your endurance by telling you how long to run but not how fast, so it’s scalable to any speed runner. I’m moderately quick, but my boyfriend, who has never run before in his life, can do it too at his own pace. I’m going to run a local 5k in April and then in June, my real goal – the PA Warrior Dash.

86 Ashley March 5, 2012

I have the Couch to 5k app, but have never used it! You’ve inspired me to start tonight!!!!!!!!! There are a couple 5k’s in the area I’ve always wanted to do, but have been too afraid since I’ve never done one before.

87 Socal Rachel March 5, 2012

Congrats speedy, you kicked butt! My preferred distance is a 10k. Personally I don’t like to spend more time driving to and from the race, then I actually spend running. A 10k or about an hour workout is a bit more worth it to me.

88 Abby @ Fig & Fork March 5, 2012

Nice run, Angela! Races are so addicting! I’ve run all sorts of distances – from a full marathon to 5Ks, but my body tends to like the shorter races. I have the Get Lucky 7K coming up on St. Patrick’s Day and can’t wait to get decked out in green!

I’m happy to find another vegan protein powder! I’ve been using Lifetime Fitness’s VegaMax, but am always looking for new ones to try out. Yum!!

89 Vanessa March 5, 2012

Oh, thanks so much for asking people to share their C25K experience here! I’m currently on week 4. After several years of being out of shape I’m really trying to get back to my athletic self. It’s not hard, but I excited to get to the point where I can run even just one mile without feeling like hell! I hope to sign up for a few 5k races myself, once I’m doing with the training!

90 Heather March 5, 2012

Congratulations on the awesome race! Such a fun race!

91 Tracy @ Commit to Fit March 5, 2012

I don’t enter races, but if I did, I would absolutely go with the 5k. That distance is more my pace as the slowest runner in the world ;)

92 Kelly March 5, 2012

That’s a great time Ange! Congrats!!!

93 Yellow Haired Girl March 5, 2012

Great job! I’m not a huge fan of running, but would like to be. I think a 5K would be an excellent way to ease myself in to the running world. Now … to actually sign up for one …

94 Em (Wine and Butter) March 5, 2012

I love 5k races! I think they are the perfect length! I get that some people want to challenge themselves more, but you really CAN with 5k … and with much less risk of injury or burning out on exercise generally.

And yes to the shower after a race feeling – not to mention FOOD!!!

95 Amber K March 5, 2012

What a tease from that faux finish line! I don’t think I will ever do a race. They just start way too early in the morning for me. I need one that starts at like noon. lol. I blame it on my system needing to evacuate before doing any kind of activity. My breakfast takes about half an hour to eat and I have to wait an hour to even begin eating after taking my morning pills. Yup, racing isn’t going to happen for me!

96 Elly March 5, 2012

Nice job, Angela! That’s a kick-ass time :) As Leah said, I’d also love to hear more about your workout routine at the moment! Congrats again!

97 Curly J March 5, 2012

Congrats on your 5k!! That’s amazing! I’m hoping to try one out in the next few months. Last year I started the couch to 5k program and made it to week 4 feeling FANTASTIC. But then the warm summer days came on and I got discouraged so I quit :(. BUT I started again last week and I’m hoping to go the full distance this time. I’ve read some great suggestions on how to combat the heat (if that comes up again haha). Reading your running posts have been a great motivation!! Keep it up! :)

98 Heather @ Better With Veggies March 5, 2012

Congratulations on a great race and hardware!!! I have a hard time picking a favorite distance, they are all challenging in different ways. If pressed, I guess I would choose a half marathon right now – not short enough that you are miserable the whole time, but not long enough to need the recovery time of a marathon. :)

99 Katie March 5, 2012

I just bookmarked the C2K program the other day.

I’ve always wanted to be able to go for a 2-3 mile run for a few of my exercise days each week, but haven’t ever managed to get to the point of solidly running that whole amount. I’m thinking I’ll use C2K this spring and maybe reach this goal for the summer!

100 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 5, 2012

When I first read the title of your post, it made me think of a Frosty from Wendy’s :) Congratulations on the race – you did so well! 4th in your division, 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners are all really impressive!

101 Pam March 5, 2012

Congrats! You are super speedy!!! I have run one 5k, one 10k and one 15k :) My 5k time was around 32 minutes :) I am slow and steady. haha Speedwork would probably help, but I just like getting out there and running.

I live in Edmonton and haven’t been running outside yet this year but am thinking about doing a 5k St Paddy’s Day race next weekend, depending on how much snow/ice is on the ground!

102 Lauren March 5, 2012

Wow, you are so fast! In high school, I ran the 5K in 19:56 (PR), but I haven’t come close over 10 years later. What do you do for speed work?

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

Wow, Sub-20 for a 5k is super fast! I had a few kids BLOW by me yesterday…they were, I’m guessing, 8-10 years old. and a young girl also sped by me at the finish line. heh. here’s the speedwork I’ve been doing lately: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/17/busting-boredom-on-the-treadmill-5-mile-5km-workouts/

104 Vicki March 5, 2012

Congrats Angela!
When I saw the picture of your macadamia-almond butter on your previous post I decided I COULDN’T wait for the cookbook to be released to make it. So I took out some ingredients I GUESSED you could have used, threw them in my food processor and YUM!!! it turned out so amazing. Can’t wait to try your version someday!!!

105 Kaleigh March 5, 2012

Awesome time! Congrats. I love Vega Protein too!

106 Annie March 5, 2012

I just graduated from C25K and I’m planning on doing the next one up: bridge to 10K. I haven’t entered any races though as I am sooooo slow and a little worried about looking silly?!

well done again on your amazing time :)

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

I used to be terrified to sign up for a race too, but you will see such a wide range of fitness abilities, ages, etc. It’s really inspiring just to see people out there! The first time will likely be a bit scary since you don’t know what to expect, but it’s honestly way more fun and less scary than I initially imagined (and Im a very anxious person!)

108 Annie March 5, 2012

thanks :) I might give it a go then, there are a couple of 5 and 10 k races in June :) x

109 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 5, 2012

Congrats on a great run.. that’s a great time!! Was that the Chilly half and frosty 5km that you ran? Are you running the 5km in Around the Bay on the 25th?
I really like running 5km and half marathons… I want to get back into running 5k’s… I agree, they are fun and speedy!

110 Betsy March 5, 2012

Congrats! A 7:16 mile is really impressive!

111 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 5, 2012

Wow, way to go! That’s super speedy. :)

112 Jaclyn T March 5, 2012

Speedy Ange! Way to go!

I have done ONE race, which was a 5 km this past Dec. I have RAD (Reactive Airway Disease), which is, very much not rad. This makes running in the cold difficult, so I limit my outdoor runs in l’hiver (treadmill time, baby). My time for this race was 35:18, and it featured a long hellish incline (thank you, uptown Saint John), so I was pretty happy, even though my time was a bit longer than my “usual” 5K runs. I run for the enjoyment and am not competitive, so I was surprised that I had the “race itch” and that it was pretty fun.

113 Heidi March 5, 2012

Great job on the 5K! Your stories (and recipes) are a joy to read. Keep up the good work!

114 Yvette March 5, 2012

Congrats Angela-
I LOVE redaing your posts – you seem like such a great person and you don’t take yourself too seiously! In the year that I’ve been reading your blog I have gone vegan and also started on a fitness journey. I feel better than I ever have. Please know that you are inspiring people all over the world to live a better life. I know I will never be the same again – I enjoy my healthy new body so much. I still have work to do on myself – but I know I can achieve my goals.

Yours sincerely – Yvette, Sydney, Australia

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 6, 2012

I’m so happy to hear that Yvette! Thanks for sharing. Congrats on all your changes :)

116 Kellie March 5, 2012

Super inspiring! I also did a 5km race on Sunday and I agree, they are so much fun! Its a good little feeling of achievement and a boost of inspiration to train for the next one (in May – hooray!). Well done :)

117 J'lene March 5, 2012

Congratulations! I’m running my first 5K in a few weeks and am on my last week of doing the Couch to 5K training program. The Couch to 5K training program was a great way to ease into running longer distances and I loved seeing my progress. I think I’ve definitely got the “itch to run” now and hopefully have the confidence to do more races after I get this first one under my belt!

118 Brittany March 5, 2012

Hey! Do you ever feel like the treadmill and the garmin dont match in their times? Like you could be running quite fast on the treadmill say a 8:30 mile pace but it feels like your running faster than that?

119 Karen March 5, 2012

Stellar job, Ange…you are one speedy lady! Huge Congrats!

120 Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 5, 2012

Congratulations on a new RP!!! Very impressive!

121 Luv What You Do March 5, 2012

I have run a few 5K’s, but my favorite race distance is an 8-10K, although half marathons are super fun too. I love races…they always keep me motivated throughout the year!

122 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 5, 2012

It’s so funny to see my city in your pictures – you probably ran right by my house! :D

Congrats on your PR!

123 Jacqueline@digintobooks March 5, 2012

Congratulations!!!! I think it’s great that you’re out doing what you love. Loved the pics of Sketchie today – how cute!

124 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 5, 2012

What a great time Angela! Congrats!

125 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 5, 2012

Wow! Great job! I’m doing my first ever 5 mile race on Sunday. I usually go for longer races (10k and half marathon). A half in my favorite so far! I also just signed up for my first full marathon. I’ll let you know how I feel about long distances after that!

126 Annie March 5, 2012

Congrats! I just have to say, Sketchie is one of the prettiest cats I’ve seen. What beautiful markings and eyes! :)

127 Dr. Evan March 5, 2012

Congratz to you! I really like your choices for both breakfast and after the run. Healthy choices provide needed nutrients and electrolyts for the longevity that is so desperatly needed in lengthy workouts.

128 Susan March 5, 2012

I’d like to try a 5K or maybe even a 10K as I think it’s totally doable. Given that I live in SK however, there’s not too much going on at this time of year. I used to think that I wanted to run a marathon or even a half marathon, but now I’m thinking that’s too much time to dedicate to training and thus 5 or 10K is more in line with my time committment. I’ll have to look around and find a race to sign up for. Thanks for the inspiration!

129 andrea (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 5, 2012

Congrats, on another race!! I love your pink jacket. Question, is that a brown rice tortilla? If so, how do you make it soft? I find that they are so dry that I cannot roll them up?!?!

I love Vega and could not train without it. Congrats again :)

130 Meggie March 5, 2012

Hi Angela! You always look so cute on race days, how on earth do you do it?? Would you mind sharing some tips/favorites for cold weather running? I think maybe you’ve done it in the past, I’ll keep looking! Thanks!

131 Emily March 5, 2012

I love your blog…you are inspirational! Do you still not use a scale? (You look so tiny!) I am addicted to my scale but want to stop. Please tell me!

132 Stacie March 5, 2012

Go Speed Racer go!! Congrats:) Such a good feeling!!

133 Bridget March 5, 2012

That’s really funny, because my PR right now is 23:08 and I’m 29. I haven’t been able to break 23 min… I’d better start doing some of your speed workouts! Maybe I can drop 30 seconds off my PR too :) Congrats on a great race! Also, I ate my last grapefruit yesterday and just seeing that picture made me so jealous of you… must.go.get.more.grapefruit.

134 Andrea March 5, 2012

Angela!!!! 4th place?! That’s insane! You’re sooo fast, seriously. I don’t think I could ever be that fast. I ran my first 5k in 28:47 and I almost cried crossing the finish line I was so exhausted. You go girl!!!

135 Meredith March 5, 2012

Good job on the race! That protein powder is my current favourite – so yummy!

136 Heather March 5, 2012

My normal runs are 6 miles, which I consider pretty easy. Right now I am loving half marathon runs. My current training is for two marathons, one in June (Ann Arbor) and then in October (Detroit). Yesterday I completely my longest distance so far – 18 miles!! I have a set training plan where I run 3 days a week and cross train the other 4 days. Congrats to you on such a great run!

137 Willow March 5, 2012

Great post, Angela! Running a 5k sounds like so much fun, but I’ve never done one myself. I enjoy running (especially shorter distances… don’t think I’d be up for a half marathon) but just recently I went out for a 3.5 mi. run and came back limping. My right knee was just a little sore, so I figured I’d torqued it slightly on the terrain, but even now it aches a little when I try to jog. Afraid I might be out of commission longer than I thought to let this recover… such a bummer when I feel so good being active!

138 Katie March 6, 2012

So impressed with your race time! The first race I ever ran was a 5K and sprinting to finish at a 10:00 minute mile average was intense. I haven’t tried a 5K since I was 15 so I would be curious to see how differently I would perfom now that I have several years of running under my belt and a completely renewed perspective on training.

139 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 6, 2012

Great job! Congrats!!!

140 Carla March 6, 2012

Not sure if I could run in the cold! You make the 5K sound like something I could do — although I doubt I could do it in a decent time. I downloaded the Couchto5K program this weekend and I’m supposed to do my first session tonight. Fingers crossed!

141 Amy March 6, 2012

Ang = fast like a cobra!

Way to go! :)

142 Melissa Shirey March 6, 2012

I WAS starting the 9 week couch to 5k training this past sunday, but have an awful cold. I will have to cut off a week and start this sunday. I am super excited to run my first 5k ever!!!!

143 Kayla @ The Best Things March 6, 2012

Wow! I’m from Southern Ontario too.. and you’re brave to run a race right now! Congrats!

144 Allison March 6, 2012

Congrats!! I always feel inspired after reading your blog. BTW Sketchie is so cool, I think he should have his own blog ;)

145 Sarah March 6, 2012

You are FAST girlfriend! Congrats! you must be thrilled! I LOVE the entire Vega Sport line… The protein bars taste ridiculously indulgent and I jokingly call the Pre-Workout Energizer running crack because I SWEAR I can feel a huge burst of energy flowing through my legs after I take it. Amazing stuff ;)
My favorite distance is 13.1 miles. I love half marathons because while I am not super speedy I have a ton of endurance. I can just go on and on and on. A speedier 5k is one of my goals though.. I would love to finish a 25:00 5k… right now I am hovering just around 27:00. I am really looking forward to following your running Angela!!

146 Leia March 6, 2012

Lesson learned: pee before you leave home! :P

Your race time is so motivational to me – 4.32/km is like sprinting for me! I definitely need to work on my speed. :)

147 alicia March 6, 2012

Hi and congratulations on the awesome run! I am in week 6 of the C25K and am loving it. At first I tought it was a slow start and then I thought the time runs increased by too much, but now I just figure they know what they are doing and I find it to be just challenging enough.

I have a couple of 5Ks planned for the end of March and am really looking forward to them.

148 Elizabeth March 6, 2012

I did the Runners Den running program before I had my second daughter and I used to run before both girls. Starting the couch to 5K next week – going to make myself an exercise calendar and switch between running and my new spinning bike (!!!). I am going to sign up for the Ancaster Old Mill 5K in June – and see if there is anything in May. I think there might be something in Burlington??

Great time!! Wow!!

Where do you get those great glass straws – please share! :)

Thanks for always inspiring me. You have no idea.

149 Robyn March 6, 2012

Good morning,,,you really are a speedy gonzales!! Wow,,,congrats it looked like it would have been very invigorating. I only started running over a year ago,,,I’m 46 and wish I would have started yrs ago(I love it). My best time so far is 26 min. for a 5K, but usually do a 10K…and have been trying to incorporate one or two speed runs. I have always done yoga and weights but really enjoying the running and the hot showers and yummy food after never seems as good as then. Love the kitty photos too,,,hope your day is a great one.

150 Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy March 6, 2012

Congrats on an awesome 5k race! That is an awesome race time!

151 Alise March 6, 2012

Way to go! You are a little speed demon… that is AMAZING time. I am happy when I clock a 9:50/min mile-LOL. I’ve never run a 5k but you have me thinking twice about that. I have my 3rd half marathon this Saturday. Keep up the running, it keeps us sane. :-)

152 Sheesh March 6, 2012

Congrats! And what a great time! I just did my second 5k on Sunday, so much fun, need to do more speed work like you to shave off a few more minutes lol. I have never run a 10k or a half, I plan to one day, but I’m having so much fun with 5k’s right now, like you said, much less prep and stress.

Good luck on your next race :)

153 Brigid March 6, 2012

I ran my first 5k in December and am signed up for my second in April! I am still not in great shape, but I felt so accomplished, especially after tackling all the crazy hills. The next one is flat, so I expect my time to be much better.

154 Katy March 6, 2012

C25K is how I started running! I’m now using the same site to train for my first half marathon :-) I highly recommend it. You have to stick with it and not try to push ahead. It’s paced very well. Since we are on the topic of running, what is your favorite brand of sports bra? Now that I’m doing longer distances I find that nipple chafing is becoming a real problem :-\

155 Trish Adams March 7, 2012

I love that you did this race. I tried running last year with no luck. Iam back running started this week and just did my first outdoor run (in the beautiful GTA weather!).
I am planning on a 5 km Run this year, or more than one!
PS. Wendel (my pug) was as impressed as Sketchie. lol
Keep me inspired!

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2012

Goodluck Trish! :)

157 Erika - The Teenage Taste March 7, 2012

Congratulations on an excellent race, Angie! You are so fast – I hope I’ll be able to run a 22-minute 5K one day!

158 Valerie March 7, 2012

That is a great 5k time, congrats!
I’ve just started running (6 months) and have run 2 5ks. First 10k in 3 weeks, and a 15k in July. I need to work on recovery food and prep food, what do you suggest?

159 Heather @ For the Love of Kale March 8, 2012

AMAZING job, Angela! That is a seriously awesome time. :-) I love 5Ks too. It’s the perfect distance for me because i’m not a huge fan of longer runs. I can’t lie, I LOL’d when I got to the part about you mistaking the finish line. Aww! You still rocked it, though! Also, Vega chocolate protein performance is my FAVORITE protein powder ever. I love the mild chocolate flavor. Are you a fan?

160 BeckyA March 8, 2012

Congrats on the great time! Great place!

I got through about 8 weeks of C25K about a year back and was doing well. I really liked the progression – just enough of a challenge each week and not too intimating. Then I hurt my knee and hip. Chiropractor said I had to stop and switch to elliptical sessions. :(

I’ve since lost some weight and tried restarting C25K. I am in week 2 and it’s going soo much smoother. I forgot how good it feels to run. I would like to do a 5K in the near future. But have’t been brave enough to sign up for a race yet and really commit.

But you make it seem so easy, and FUN!

161 Megan March 9, 2012

you’re really inspiring! I am not much of a runner, but I really want to get into it and do races. It looks like a lot of fun and something to feel accomplished about. How did you get the motivation to be a runner?

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 9, 2012

Hey Megan! You might be interested in reading about how I got started: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/08/20/my-running-journey-from-1-minute-to-10-miles/

163 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 9, 2012

I really want to get in to running, but need to build up slowly. My can easily run 5, 8, 10k but I struggle to keep up. I think I focus a lot of my energy on strength work instead of cardio. I’m hoping to add in more treadmill work soon though! P.S. nice stats on the protein powder…definitely looks like it would help with recovery

164 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles March 10, 2012

I love 5Ks! Running a ST. Petty’s Day race next weekend. They’re so quick and fun. I guess I need to do some speedwork now!

165 Danielle November 17, 2012

I came across your website through a google search, and noticed we both ran the frosty this year as I was scrolling down I noticed I was in one of your pictures lol. I mean what are the odds, that is to funny. Your time was awesome :) maybe I’ll see you there in 2013.

166 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2012

ahhh that is too funny! Now Im curious which runner you are in the photos! heh. Glad you found the blog. :)

167 Vegan Radhika Sarohia December 20, 2012

How cool! I am way too lazy for any type of running stuffs, but that’s great you are into it
Awesome pics of your cat by the way, he looks terrific:D

168 Charlene March 9, 2016

WOOHOO!! kudos to you on your 5K…i have actually only done two, one in March of 2014 and one in May of 2014 which i won first place in my division..it was called the Athena division (women 50 and over and 160lbs and up) i figured i could win this because women my weight would usually be bigger than i am..anywho i ran it in 28 something, my goal is to stay under 30 so i’m ok with that time, and it was better than the first one i ran, that was 29 something. I did C25K for the first race because i had’nt ran constanly for a while, and i just finished another bout of C25K with my sister. I’m hoping to get back to the 5K like the one i won in, however this time i may be a bit under 160lbs so i probably won’t win anything in that race. I actuallly have a desire to be an avid runner but don’t really like running if that makes sense. I am an Army vet and loved running while in the Army though. Cheers and happy running!!