Getting My Frosty On

IMG 2523   Getting My Frosty On

It’s official: I’m hooked on 5k races!

My second 5k race is under my belt…err…bib, after yesterday’s Frosty 5k race in Burlington. I had such a blast. There was also a half marathon going down…kudos to the brave souls who ran it yesterday!

IMG 2499   Getting My Frosty On

Unlike my last 5k race a few weeks ago, the skies were blue and the roads were clear. The temperature seemed innocent enough (-4C), but the wind was bone chilling being so close to the lake. Although, once I started running it wasn’t so bad. The cold isn’t as noticeable when you are breathless and busting some booty on the race course!

One thing I love about winter races? The later start time. The race didn’t start until 10:05am, so that meant that I could sleep in until almost 8am feeling nice and rested when I got up.

IMG banana   Getting My Frosty On

For some yummy pre-race fuel, I enjoyed a wrap with a banana and a couple spoonfuls of sunflower seed butter.

wrap   Getting My Frosty On

and a juicy grapefruit for extra hydration.

IMG 7722   Getting My Frosty On

We got to the race about 45 minutes early, so I took advantage of the free time to empty my bladder. However, the porta potty line ups were huge and not moving very quickly. I waited in line for 20 minutes, before bailing at the last minute so I’d make it to the start line on time. What a tease! Needless to say, holding my bladder throughout the 5k was not fun. That grapefruit clearly put me over the edge…darn you, grapefruit!

There is something to be said about running a race with hundreds of other people (well, thousands if you count the half marathoners); it’s instant motivation and the excitement is contagious, even in the winter.

IMG 2509   Getting My Frosty On

After a cold wait, it was finally time to begin!

IMG 2518   Getting My Frosty On

I got off to a slower than normal start, but it ended up being a blessing because I think I would have gone out too hard. I just wanted to sprint to get warm!

IMG 2522   Getting My Frosty On

The course itself was a simple “out and back” route on a linear, mostly flat course (along Lakeshore) which is perfect for setting a new PR. I love out and back courses because I get to see the faster people coming back (while I’m still going out) and it’s quite motivating to see them zoom by. The first place finisher had a time of 15:29! Crazy.

I felt so happy during the entire race and I think it was probably one of the strongest races that I’ve run, mentally and physically.

Soon enough I was rounding the last bend to the finish line.

See that YELLOW Powerbar “finish line”? When I rounded the last corner, I thought that was the finish line, so I gunned it as hard as I could only to discover that the finish line was actually a couple hundred metres further!

#epicfail

IMG 2537   Getting My Frosty On

I was now out of breath and really struggling not to stop and walk to the actual finish line. The spectators really gave me my last bit of motivation to keep running.

IMG 2537 2   Getting My Frosty On

There wasn’t any smiling for cameras or even looking for Eric. Just me and the finish line, baby!

IMG 2545   Getting My Frosty On

The real finish line:

IMG 2549   Getting My Frosty On IMG 2551   Getting My Frosty On

…and then I bolted to the nearest bathroom. :)

My official stats:

Chip time: 22:37

Ranking: 4th in my division (25-29 yr old women), 13th out of 390 women, and 52nd out of 577 runners

Avg pace per km: 4:32 min/km

Avg pace per mile: 7:16 min/mile

I beat my previous 5k race time by just over 30 seconds, so that was a nice bonus. I think the speed work has been helping!

IMG 2557   Getting My Frosty On

I came home and made a recovery smoothie and then had a hot shower. Hot shower = Best feeling ever after a winter race.

IMG 2559   Getting My Frosty On

I used this Vega Performance protein powder and added in a big frozen banana and lots of almond milk. Yum.

IMG 2562   Getting My Frosty On

The nutritional info (click to enlarge)

IMG 2564 thumb   Getting My Frosty On

Sketchie was overjoyed to hear about my race. Not.

IMG 7847   Getting My Frosty OnIMG 7875   Getting My Frosty On IMG 7876   Getting My Frosty On

So as you can tell, I’m loving the 5k distance. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised because I used to run short distances in track and field and always loved them.

Here are some things that I love about 5k races…

• Shorter recovery time: I’m not too sore after my 5k races (just stiff muscles). After my last 5k race I took a couple days off exercise and then I felt fine to get back into my normal routine. After my half marathons however, I had to take 2 weeks off exercise to recover and occasionally sustained mild injuries. The reduced down time with the 5k is a major plus in my books! Of course, that’s not to say that you can’t get injured running a 5k because you obviously can with any distance.
  • Less training time: My 5k training runs are between 3-5 miles, about 4 times per week. I don’t have to spend more than about 25-45 minutes out of my day to train. This is a huge plus when busy.
  • Less Prep: I don’t need to bring water, energy gels, or anything else like I do with longer distances. It’s quite effortless to prepare for.

Have you ever run a 5k race or are you thinking about running one some day? For all of you runners: what is your favourite race distance?

If you are looking to start running, I’ve heard great things about the Couch to 5k 9-week running program. If you start now, you can run your first 5k race at the beginning of May! Maybe if some of you have done the C25k before, leave a comment below telling us about your experience. It may help others who are thinking about starting.

Katie March 5, 2012

Wow you’re fast! That looks like a lot of fun. I did the Couch to 5k last year, and went from never having run a step to getting hooked! I’m ready for some races around here, although I’m not as fast as you. I’m gonna start doing your speed workouts….

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 5, 2012

You killed it! Congrats :) I have a love hate relationship with 5ks. Love the minimal prep time like you mentioned and that it’s only 20-25 minutes of running but also hate that it’s only 20-25 mins of running b/c I feel a lot more pressure to sprint and run FAST the entire time. No pacing myself like in a half and that is exhausting in and of itself!

Angela March 5, 2012

Yea that is so true! Pros and cons to every distance I guess :)

Greta @ Staying Lost March 5, 2012

Congratulations on the new PR! I love how unamused Sketchie looks. I guess Sketchie would prefer that you stayed home and petted him!

Jessie March 5, 2012

Congratulations on your speedy race! :)

I’m a C25k graduate. I completed the program over the summer of 2010 and ran my first 5k that September. It really works! I definitely hit a mental block when I hit the 20 minute point, but my advice is to change the scenery (I went from running only on the treadmill to running outside) to keep up the motivation. I went on to complete a half marathon about a year after starting the program. Just stick with it!

Angela March 5, 2012

Thank you for sharing Jessie! Congrats on all the progress you made. Running a half marathon after just a year of running is quite a feat!

Antonia March 5, 2012

Wow. Congrats on your new PR. You are one fast runner. I’m currently training for my first race (10K) and seeing other people run races that fast really keeps me motivated…thanks for that!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 5, 2012

Excellent time!! Looks like you had fun even if the kitty didn’t seem impressed. ;-)

The Mr is looking to run a 5K some day. I’ll just quietly cheer y’all on from the sidelines!

mindy @ just a one girl revolution. March 5, 2012

Congrats on a great race and PR, Speedy Gonzales!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 5, 2012

I LOVE your new header!

Great race time! It’s amazing what having to pee and cold weather can do… not to mention you’re in stellar shape. :) Congrats!

Angela March 5, 2012

I think my bursting bladder shaved off about 10 seconds at least, heh

Kate March 5, 2012

My favourite distance is the half-marathon, hands down. I’ve run 7 since 2010, and am planning (hopefully) to run 4 more this year. Though I agree with you on the 5K being a super fun distance, its a nice change from a longer distance because its so quick and you get the opportunity to increase your speed!

Excellent work!

Alex @ Raw Recovery March 5, 2012

One of my goals this year is to run a 5k. I’ve definitely got to check out more of your racing and training posts and reread them for good tips. Congrats on another race!

Ileana March 5, 2012

That’s awesome. Congrats!

Karen March 5, 2012

I have been thinking of starting C25K so it’s interesting to hear other people saying it has worked.
You ran by my house yesterday haa and I wanted to look out for you and cheer you on but I was freezing haa I did mentally say GO ANGELA GO !!

Angela March 5, 2012

well, thank you! I probably wouldnt have gone outside either ;)

Ashley March 5, 2012

Wow! Congrats! I am so impressed with how much your times have improved. That would be a full on sprint for me the entire way, which I don’t think is possible. :)

Ginger March 5, 2012

Awesome time! (crazy pace) …I was one of the brave souls running the half marathon (my 1st) it was a great course nice and flat and we did luck out with sunny cool day! Perfect running weather! Congrats! :)

Angela March 5, 2012

Congrats for running the half! I don’t know if I could do it in that weather. Hope you had a restful second half of the day.

Debi March 5, 2012

You are inspiring Angela! I am looking forward to running in my first 5k this year. We are just moving to Calgary next month, and i am going to look up a 5k race as soon as we get settled there. You do run fast that is for sure! I am training on the treadmill now 3 times a week and the stepper twice a week. I am probably running a 11 min mile now, so I have a way to go, but i just love to run :)

Angela March 5, 2012

As long as you enjoy what you do, nothing else matters :) Goodluck with your first 5k!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon March 5, 2012

What a speedster you are! Awesome time!
I ran numerous 5k races as a part of my high school cross country team. In fact, it’s the only distance I’ve ever run!
At our invitationals there were ALWAYS ridiculously long lines at the bathrooms so my team usually resorted to going in the woods! This made my (40 year old and male) coach SO uncomfortable! I’m laughing out loud thinking back to those days…

Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 5, 2012

Awesome race!!!! Congrats!! I haven’t ever done a 5k but I’m starting training now for my second 1/2… Which I love! :)

Jeremy March 5, 2012

Nice work on the race! In the two or so years that I’ve been running, I’ve only done a couple of races – a 10k and a 5k. They’re a ton of fun, though, so hopefully I’ll get some more under my belt.

During normal workouts, I usually find it easier to motivate myself to go for distance rather than speed, so my pace isn’t all that great. That’s something I need to work on, though, since it’s becoming more and more difficult to squeeze the miles into the allotted time.

Heather (Heather's Dish) March 5, 2012

i just can’t bring myself to spend the money for race fees, but there are definitely times that i would totally consider doing one…money is motivating after all!

Shannon March 5, 2012

Your race story was inspirational! As a new runner, I’m always intimidated by cold weather — I run around the track at my gym to train for my first 5k, which is in early June. As I gain more speed and become a more confident runner, perhaps I’ll transition to running outside — your post makes me want to get out there and run around in the snow! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 5, 2012

Congrats Ange! You did such an amazing job and well done for braving the cold!! I’ve been working a lot of speedwork into my running lately too, and you’re right, I really do think it’s going to make a difference! Sounds like you’ve totally caught the racing bug! :)
It’s funny that you’ve got the new Vega because I just bought myself a sampler pouch of the Vanilla and am trying it out tomorrow! Recently I found a deal on the Whole Food Health Optimizer that I love (and they’re phasing it out for the Vega One product, which I’m assuming is why it was on sale) – 2 tubs for about $65!!! I totally jumped on it right away so am very well stocked now.
Have a fabulous Monday! :)

kim March 6, 2012

Hi, What is this?

Hailey March 5, 2012

Congratulations Angela! That’s such an amazing feeling to beat your PR by so much…that’s huge! I think I’m pretty weird when it comes to racing. I’ve only been running for about a year and a half now, but my first race was a half marathon and since then I’ve done three marathons and am training for my fourth. I must say that the marathon is my favorite distance, despite the long recovery time and the pain and suffering that ensues. There is just something so addictive and unbelievably satisfying about a marathon finish line, that I literally am overcome with joy and I forget everything I just went through for 26.2 miles. It is definitely a huge time commitment and it takes up a lot of week nights and weekends, but in the end when I see the finish line it is just so worth it.

I need to try out your speed workout, because I seem to be stuck in a rut of 10 – 11 minute miles for all of my long runs and I just get nervous about going too fast that I won’t be able to finish all of the miles!

And btw, marathon porta-potties mid race are hands down one of the most disgusting experiences EVER so I always wait in the lines to go before hand. Saves you the gagging and disgust later. :-)

Angela March 5, 2012

I could totally see that about the feeling you describe after running a marathon. It would be like nothing else! Congrats on all your amazing accomplishments. I started with a 10k, 10 miler, then three halfs, then 10k, now im down to 5ks. :)

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes March 5, 2012

Congrats!!! That is honestly such a big accomplishment, way to go!

Angela March 5, 2012

awesome time. Reading this is motivating for me. I signed up for a 1/2 marathon beg of May and haven’t run in 3 weeks. I just can’t muster up the motivation to get out of bed at 430am to go outside and drive to the health club. But I think I’ll get out of bed and go out in the cold (live in Chicago) tmrw morning thanks to reading this!!!

This will be my first 1/2. I have been drinking green smoothie’s every morning for about 5 years AFTER I do a morning workout. The race is in 10 weeks but I am already trying to decide if I should drink my green smoothie before or after the 8 am race. Have you ever drank a green smoothie before a race; or do you always do a carb/protein based breakfast like you pictured above? Thanks!

Angela March 5, 2012

I honestly don’t have a set pre-race breakfast. I’ve done smoothies before races and I was fine. I think the most important thing is to test it out before the actual race day and then you will know how your body reacts. :)

Lauren (Maillard's Mistress) March 5, 2012

Congrats on your race! This coming Sunday I’ll be running my first 5k. I’m pretty excited to see how I do and how fast I can go. I’ve ran three halfs and so I think this will be great mentally to just go out there and get it done.

Angela March 5, 2012

Goodluck! If you are used to half marathons it will seem so short and sweet (well it did for me)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 5, 2012

Awesome job!! I don’t run races or anything, but I think having to use the bathroom during one would be one of my biggest fears!

Rhona March 5, 2012

You look like you had a really good time. some runners look like death after they run…like me and I am so NOT a runner. I just try but I really don’t like it. In any case, you made that race look super fun. The new PR is amazing. Telling you the truth, if that were me, I would probably still be running the race now. I am that slow. :) And that smoothie, yummo!

Jasper Naomi @ crunchylittlebites March 5, 2012

congrats on your race anglea! plus you always look super cute! I think I am going to really try come of your boredom blaster speed work! :) thanks for sharing! plus the photos of Sketchie are so much fun!

Sally @ Sally Spins March 5, 2012

Congratulations on an amazing finish! I am thinking about running my first half marathon in April. I really like your race comparison though. I might have to stick to 5Ks after getting one half under my belt.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove March 5, 2012

Wonderful job! You are so inspiring (I still can’t motivate myself to run).

Kerry Burns March 5, 2012

Angela, that is an amazing time! Congrats on that. Wow!!
Are you using a specific training plan or several different ones for your training (specifically speed work?)
Burlington is having a Good Friday 5km and 10miler race. I just signed up for the 10miler…are you planning on any more 5kms in the near future? You’re right, Burlington is nice and flat…and clearly quick ;)

Stephanie March 5, 2012

Awesome job!! I was wondering how you like the Vega protein powder? Does it taste ok? I have been looking for a good one. I currently have BioChem Vegan Protein in chocolate, but it tastes pretty nasty.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2012

I think it tastes decent, similar to chocolate milk in a weird way. The only thing I dont like about it is that it’s sweetened with stevia and im not a huge fan of the taste of stevia. the nutritional stats are very impressive though.

Ang W March 5, 2012

Ok Ange, you’ve got me thinking. My good friend just asked me the other day if I wanted to join her in doing the C25K program and I got kind of excited, and kind of scared, and then sort of forgot about it. I used to run all the time in my teens, but I seem to have started shying away from competitive things… fear of failure sort of thing, I’ve been realizing. This may be the perfect way for me to start overcoming that! Thanks for the motivation :)

Bianca March 5, 2012

OMG I definitely would’ve thought that yellow thing was the finish line. What a tease!

And yes — there are few things more amazing than a hot shower after a cold winter race. It just feels SO SO good!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 5, 2012

I love 5ks b/c there is really no “training” involved, they are short and sweet, and no matter how much you are hating it in the moment, I always tell myself, I can do anything for 20-25 mins and live to tell the tale :) Less injuries b/c of less long-distance training, less time spent…I love 5 & 10ks and have probably ran at least 150 races or so in those distances.

Congrats on your race!

lissa - shrinking jeans March 5, 2012

Way to go!

Couch to 5K rocks for beginning runners!

Susan March 5, 2012

I did the Couch to 5k program about a year and half ago and it was great! I had literally never run a mile (without walking) before and I hated running. It’s just a matter of easing into it and now I really enjoy running 5ks! I’m still not fast but I do truly enjoy it now.

LizAshlee March 5, 2012

CONGRATS Ange..a hot shower is the best thing after a race…of course, along with tasty food! I love Vega products…I had the pleasure of enjoy Vega One protein packets with almond milk and stevia while I was away on my trip (at a Integrative Nutrition Conference) so satisfying!

Leah March 5, 2012

Congrats!! I’d love to hear more about your workout schedule lately. I think it’s great you are focusing on the 5K distance.. I love quick runs, especially during the week after a long work day!

Tory March 5, 2012

Congratulations, Angela! What an amazing race time!
I’m currently in the midst of the Couch to 5K program – I’m actually going to start week 6 tonight. I have to admit, it’s been kind of scary for me – as I’ve never run before. Increasing my running times as I’ve progressed through has been a big mental hurdle I’ve struggled with (I’ve actually repeated some weeks out of fear) – but I’m discovering that it’s so rewarding when I do step up to the challenges as I move along in the program and then overcome them. It’s a big confidence booster too! Anyway – I’m signed up for my first 5K on the 24th of this month. My only for this race is to just complete it. :)

Page 1 of 41234»