A Few Screws Loose

Good morning!

My morning started off a bit sluggish, but it was nothing a Green Monster couldn’t handle.

IMG_8957

In the GM: 2 handfuls spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop Vega choc-o-lot, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 frozen banana, 1/4 cup oats.

IMG_8960

After breakfast and a bit of digesting, Eric and I headed out for a bike-run to kick off this gorgeous morning. We covered about 4 miles in 34 minutes. I love when he comes with me on the bike because he motivates me to push during my runs! He calls himself my ‘coach’. lol. I’ll take whatever I can get…

Like Kale!

IMG_9001

I pick a bunch of kale each week and then freeze it for quick Green Monsters throughout the week (I used an old frozen mango bag to store it in- maybe it will make the kale sweet? lol)

IMG_8706

Tomatoes are coming up all over the two plants. I finally convinced Eric to move the tomato plants to the same side as the garden beds, so watering has been a bit easier!

IMG_8967

The cucumbers are growing like crazy!

Straight ones

IMG_8976

Curvy ones

IMG_8978

A family of peppers with a wee little bebe!

IMG_8983

Banana Peppers

IMG_8987

Beets & Carrots

IMG_8991IMG_8992

More kale…muhauha.

IMG_8999

And one huge time saver for $9.99. :)

IMG_8974

We haven’t had rain in over two weeks and I just checked the forecast and we’re not supposed to get a lick of rain for the next 14 days either! This does not bode well for farmers!

Deck updates…

Eric is working on installing some patio stones that the side staircase will rest on.

IMG_9008

It’s a tough dig & very rocky!

IMG_9013

The middle staircase is now 100% complete with railings:

IMG_9002

IMG_9003

More sanding of railings

IMG_9024

Eric is almost finished the privacy wall:

IMG_9012

We used this kit:

IMG_9018

We’re loving it so far. I like the visibility when it’s open, but it’s nice to be able to close it in case we are up to trouble.

IMG_9005

IMG_9020

IMG_9016

Hopefully we don’t have any screws loose!

IMG_9022

But I think you already know the answer to that…

I’m off to get ready for a lunch & hike date with Ange! Have a good one.

Page 2 of 2«12
Catherine July 20, 2011

Congrats on the deck and the vegetable garden. You two have been hard at work since the spring, and it’s clearly paying off! All that kale… yummy.

Meredith July 19, 2011

That GM looks awesome! I finally worked up the courage to add kale to my GM that I brought to work today as part of my lunch, way better than I expected! I was kind of scared, but I could barely taste it! I buy that same frozen mango at Costco, such a great deal!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner July 18, 2011

Angela, your garden looks amazzzzzing!!!!!! i’m jealous and wish I could have one of my own!

Meg | One Love Meg July 18, 2011

Your garden is amazing. WOW!! I just built some garden boxes and planted everything on Saturday. I hope all the veggies do well. I am not sure how much I am supposed to water them in the beginning. The tomato plant is looking a little sad. I can’t wait until my garden looks like yours. So great!

sarah@onedayiwillseethesun July 18, 2011

wow your garden looks fab, I would love to grow veggies. whats the easiest to grow?

Amber from Berlinswhimsy July 18, 2011

Wow, what a vibrant garden you have growing! I have my own little garden and it’s so much fun to watch the growth daily… Enjoy! :-)

Jennifer Baldwin July 18, 2011

I tried my green smoothie with oats today…YUM !!!
I need to get the Vega Choco flavor…I am a little burnt out on Chai now.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 18, 2011

The garden looks like an abundance of goodness just waiting to be picked! So jealous! No room for anything that big. I *LOVE* that privacy fence! That is really awesome especially for a deck area!!

Jessica July 18, 2011

oh yeah I have tons of cukes! mostly huge curly ones. the bugs are really loving the broccoli & cauliflower I planted.. they are really eating the leaves. Hopefully they will leave the good stuff alone. I also have a ton of Cayenne peppers, but it occurs to me that I don’t know what to do with it.

Sultana July 18, 2011

I’m soooo impressed. Can I come over for a gardening tutorial!? I can’t grow anything to save my life!

Meredith July 18, 2011

Your deck and garden look fantastic, Angela!

I’ve never tried oats in a GM, may have to try that out tomorrow morning. I’m just finishing off a banana soft serve VOO parfait in a (sort of) empty Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter jar… perfection!

Isabelle July 18, 2011

Your patio looks amazing!

tigerpants July 18, 2011

Your garden looks great! Just wanted to say that I think your ‘beets and carrots’ are just carrots – do a google image search for beet leaves, they’re more like chard or spinach.

Sarah July 18, 2011

I am crazy in love with your deck!!! It looks amazing and professional! Who needs a vacation with a backyard paradise like that!

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 17, 2011

your garden looks awesome! Mine is growing too fast, and I think my plants are too crowded!!! :(

Bea July 17, 2011

Wow..that deck is looking amazing. And love the veggies. As for the rain, you can have ours on the west coast. Nothing but rain for the last week. I want summer! Our gardens are all behind.

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 17, 2011

I’m so impressed with Eric’s work! But like ‘Dee above, I was rather amused by your line about closing the privacy wall when you’re up to trouble :)

'Dee July 17, 2011

The garden is amazing! And what a cool privacy fence kit.

Although I have to confess that I snorted my wine a little bit when I read “in case we are up to trouble.”

;-)

Jen July 17, 2011

I’ve never tried oats in my green smoothie before. I will have to do that!

Also – your garden is looking incredible! Makes me want to attempt a garden again.

Kaitlin @ Montgomery Minimalist July 17, 2011

I’m jealous of your garden! We have a little balcony garden, which kind of pales in comparison. We planted some kale too, but it hasn’t done much of anything. Maybe it doesn’t grow well in the summer in Alabama?

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 17, 2011

The deck looks great!

Molly @ RDexposed July 17, 2011

I want a pretty back deck that looks over my garden!

I noticed that No Illinois is experiencing drought like conditions as well today. Brown grass is taking over the city.

Lorin July 17, 2011

I have a random question/need advice. When you bake your delicious recipes like oat bars, cake, cookies ect., how do you balance eating it and eating healthier. Whenever I make stuff, it’s only me and my mom eating it, and really me eating the delicious baked goods but then I’m eating way more than I should. Do you freeze a lot of the stuff you make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

Yes I do…and I give it away to friends & Erics coworkers.

Michele July 17, 2011

I love that idea of a privacy fence/rail thing! Ive never seen that here! Ive recently started having a green Juice (not smoothie) each morning and couldn’t feel better! Love them :)

Jennifer Baldwin July 17, 2011

Just wondering what you would do with okra…saw that you wished you had planted it … ours is growing like crazy but it just goes bad because the only thing I know to do with it is bread & fry.
I made this same smoothie (but with vega vanilla chai) … never thought to put oats in it ! I will try that tomorrow :)
Also, if youd like any other ideas on what to do with kale…check out my orange sesame kale salad…it’s my new fave :)
Jenny

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

I looove it fried in a little olive oil and salt. So good! Ketchup for dippin is good too.

Shauna July 17, 2011

Chop, freeze, and add to all of your winter stews, chilli’s, and soups :)

Brittany July 17, 2011

I have a TON of kale coming up too! How do you freeze yours??

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

Just wash, rip, and place in bag…squish out air before sealing :) You could also use a container too if you pack it tightly.

Jennifer July 17, 2011

Came to visit from a comment on 100 days of real food. Just got a kick out of your calling them green monsters. In ’09 some of my children were having lots of trouble getting over colds So I put some of my green foods powder into their breakfast smoothies. We called it the green monster to make it fun & they felt better so quickly that they will ask for one when they are feeling under the weather. Just learned this week of putting the spinach & Kale into the so I’m thinking this might be a regular way to keep them from getting the colds this fall.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

Enjoy Jennifer!

Gena July 17, 2011

Hard to feel sluggish with all that GREEN in your day! :)

Mary July 17, 2011

Wow! Your garden looks amazing. I wish I could have one, but I live in an apartment right now. I just found your site, so I haven’t tried a green monster yet, but I’ve got all the ingredients on my grocery list.

Rebecca July 17, 2011

I haven’t had a green monster in over a week and this reminds me what I’m missing. Yay for ginormous Costco spinach bags and super ripe bananas!

Namaste Gurl July 17, 2011

I am SO envious at the amount of kale and fresh veggies you’re growing– what fun that must for for a avid veggie lover :)
I love chocolate green monsters :)

JenATX July 17, 2011

I never knew that cucumbers have spikes… they look scary! and a little creepy! Do you just cut them off later?

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 17, 2011

Woww, it seems like everything is growing soooo speedily!! Haha, I so admire Eric’s skills. And he always has a big smile on his face when working….or he just knows you’re taking a photo…? :P

Alice July 17, 2011

Erm… that thing that you think is a beet? It isn’t. Beet leaves look a lot like spinach, and all the leaves will be coming up from ground level instead of from an above ground stem. Not sure what the thing in the picture is, maybe ragweed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

I didnt think it looked anything like a beet but thats where I planted my beet seeds….weird!! Ill have to look it up…

Kim July 17, 2011

Your garden ROCKS!!! We haven’t had any rain in Austin in, oh about 100 years it seems :)

And, I’m going to have to try your green monster recipe – that looks awesome!! :)

~Kim (healthymammas.com)

Katrina July 17, 2011

Your garden is so fantastic looking. I am so jealous!

Katherine July 17, 2011

Gah, I wish I had that kale!

Zestful Lou July 17, 2011

I could have used a green monster this morning. I had a little…er, a lot too much to drink last night. I see a fresh veggie juice in my future

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 17, 2011

Green Monsters are the best. Especially when Mother Nature’s knockin on the door and veggies are the last thing on my mind!!

p.s. Do you have a specific blogging program that helps you to upload your pictures faster? Because mine take fooo-eva.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

Just livewriter…and it takes forever because we have a slow internet connection!

Living, Learning, Eating July 17, 2011

Your green monsters always look so good :)