A Few Screws Loose

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 17, 2011

Good morning!

IMG_8957

In the GM: 2 handfuls spinach, 1 cup almond milk, 1 scoop Vega choc-o-lot, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1 frozen banana, 1/4 cup oats.

IMG_8960

After breakfast and a bit of digesting, Eric and I headed out for a bike-run to kick off this gorgeous morning. We covered about 4 miles in 34 minutes. I love when he comes with me on the bike because he motivates me to push during my runs! He calls himself my ‘coach’. lol. I’ll take whatever I can get…

Like Kale!

IMG_9001

I pick a bunch of kale each week and then freeze it for quick Green Monsters throughout the week (I used an old frozen mango bag to store it in- maybe it will make the kale sweet? lol)

IMG_8706

Tomatoes are coming up all over the two plants. I finally convinced Eric to move the tomato plants to the same side as the garden beds, so watering has been a bit easier!

IMG_8967

The cucumbers are growing like crazy!

Straight ones

IMG_8976

Curvy ones

IMG_8978

A family of peppers with a wee little bebe!

IMG_8983

Banana Peppers

IMG_8987

Beets & Carrots

IMG_8991IMG_8992

More kale…muhauha.

IMG_8999

And one huge time saver for $9.99. :)

IMG_8974

We haven’t had rain in over two weeks and I just checked the forecast and we’re not supposed to get a lick of rain for the next 14 days either! This does not bode well for farmers!

Deck updates…

Eric is working on installing some patio stones that the side staircase will rest on.

IMG_9008

It’s a tough dig & very rocky!

IMG_9013

The middle staircase is now 100% complete with railings:

IMG_9002

IMG_9003

More sanding of railings

IMG_9024

Eric is almost finished the privacy wall:

IMG_9012

We used this kit:

IMG_9018

We’re loving it so far. I like the visibility when it’s open, but it’s nice to be able to close it in case we are up to trouble.

IMG_9005

IMG_9020

IMG_9016

Hopefully we don’t have any screws loose!

IMG_9022

But I think you already know the answer to that…

I’m off to get ready for a lunch & hike date with Ange! Have a good one.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 17, 2011 at 7:47 am

I love that fact that your posts are usually up before the rest of the blog world is ;)

Banana peppers are one of my favorite vegetables and those look delicious! I can’t wait to see how you’re going to incorporate them into future recipes

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 7:50 am

you caught me on a good day, lol

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 17, 2011 at 9:46 pm

lol haha hey– At least you have good days!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 17, 2011 at 7:47 am

Wow, I’m totally blown away by your garden. It’s amazing! Kevin and I have been looking for a privacy “screen” kit and have been completely unsuccessful. There was just one rule: I don’t want lattice!! Thanks for sharing that kit with us… I wonder if we have the same thing in Alberta?
Enjoy your lunch with Ange!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 7:50 am

We bought the shutter kit at Home Hardware and Home Depot has them too :)

For the bottom fence part, Eric used fence boards and just figured out on his own.

KC July 17, 2011 at 7:52 am

I wish you could take some of our Floridian rain. I feel like I haven’t left work once in the last two weeks without a thunderstorm!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 17, 2011 at 7:55 am

I love the cucumber :) I just posted about 25 pics from the Pride Parade and festivities this weekend :)

And that kale….yum!!!

“My morning started off a bit sluggish, but it was nothing a Green Monster couldn’t handle. “–
Really?
For me it’s nothing that about 32 oz of coffee can’t handle :)

Have a great Sunday!

kaila @ healthy helper! July 17, 2011 at 7:58 am

Your garden is gorgeous!! Wow I think you can officially say you have a green thumb ange!!!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa July 17, 2011 at 7:58 am

The deck looks fabulous! I am sure you have been taking full advantage of it this summer!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 17, 2011 at 8:13 am

your garden is fantastic, I would love to have that much Kale in my backyard! Have fun on the hike date :)

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life July 17, 2011 at 8:17 am

I’m so jealous of your beautiful garden. I live in an apartment, so the best I can muster is some potted basil. Everything looks gorgeous!

Julie @ Shining From Within July 17, 2011 at 8:20 am

Your deck looks gorgeous! HGTV would be jeaaalous ..I bet the garden adds nice curb appeal ;) oh, and I am guessing you need that privacy fence for all the crazy salad parties you’ll be having hehe

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 8:50 am

exactly! cant have the neighbours seeing how crazy we are.

Alice July 17, 2011 at 8:30 am

Dear Angela,

I’m a reader from Holland. I really love your blog, your writings are very inspirational and recognizable to me. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself with us. Just like you I have been starting my own little vegetable garden. However in comparison to your veggies en others mine grow very slow. I was wondering, what kind of soil did you use? I might think that’s the cause of the growing ‘problems’. Luckily the zucchini plant has not very much demands and the first one is coming on. I hope you have a tip for me.
Have a beautiful sunday!

Alice

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011 at 9:13 am

I used organic triple mix :)

Lisa July 17, 2011 at 8:31 am

You make those green monsters look sooooo good! I need some of those mason jars!

Meesh July 17, 2011 at 8:33 am

Ohmygoodness your garden looks amazing! I don’t have a green thumb at all, so I am super jealous. Also, your deck looks fantastic!

LizAshlee July 17, 2011 at 8:35 am

Vega Choc-o-lot is a fav! I love adding it to my green smoothies! The garden looks like it is growing beautifully…way to go green thumb! And, the deck is gorgeous! Yay for great progress all the way around!

Have fun with Ange!

Emily July 17, 2011 at 8:40 am

Your garden is fantasticccc! And I love the deck, it looks great!

[email protected] Broken Cookies Don't Count July 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

The deck looks great as do the veggies! Living in New Jersey, we are having the best time with fruits and veggies right now. One of the few reasons to live here! I still haven’t tried a Green Monster. I really need to!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 17, 2011 at 8:42 am

Look at your gorgeous veggies! I love the pepper family :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

That privacy wall is really neat – I’m sending this link to my father in law who wants something like that but he doesn’t even know it yet :) He was going to plant more trees to give them more privacy, but I think this will work great.

I love the veggies! The baby bell pepper is too cute!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 17, 2011 at 8:45 am

I love the veggies! The baby bell pepper is too cute!

Cait's Plate July 17, 2011 at 8:53 am

Oh my gosh I am absolutely in awe of your garden!! You guys should be so proud of yourself, it’s coming along beautifully (and that’s no easy task!)

Hope you have a fun lunch/hike date :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 17, 2011 at 9:02 am

I’m obsessed with your deck, it came out so great!
PS- just made your buckwheat porridge for breakfast this morning. Delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Glad you like it Gina :)

Jessica M. July 17, 2011 at 9:11 am

Your deck is amazing! I like that you can open the vents on the privacy wall. I hope to steal this idea for our deck. Thanks for the post, Ange!

Jen July 17, 2011 at 9:18 am

You and Eric are such a powerhouse couple! He’s the ultimate handyman, and you’re the ultimate gardener. The deck and the garden both look great! I want a cucumber!

kris (everyday oats) July 17, 2011 at 9:22 am

Looks like someone has a green thumb!! :)

Misti July 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

I am so jealous of your garden! Ours is in a state of hibernation because of the heat. The only thing producing is okra!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

oh man I wished I planted Okra!

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places July 17, 2011 at 9:34 am

Wow your garden is doing great!
And that deck is looking more and more gorgeous every time! :D
Looks like you guys are going to have a great summer! :D

The Healthy Hipster July 17, 2011 at 9:35 am

Thanks for giving me my daily dose of green smoothie inspiration, Angela! Lovin the garden pics too! :)

Nikita July 17, 2011 at 9:40 am

Your garden is looking so beautiful! I’m jealous of all that kale, too! Makes me want a green monster instead of the overnight oats I made myself for breakfast!

Andrea @ Vegvacious July 17, 2011 at 9:45 am

Your deck is looking fantastic! After all your hard work, you two really need to have a great big deck party!

Ally July 17, 2011 at 10:05 am

I do that EXACT recipe for green monsters minus the oats. YUM!!!!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 17, 2011 at 10:07 am

I am so jealous of your garden!! We’ve been in a drought here in CO too – we had less than 6″ of snow all winter. The thunderstorms are helping but we need more for sure. Your hubby is doing a fabulous job on the deck!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 17, 2011 at 10:24 am

Oooh wow a privacy wall – fancy shmancy!!! I didn’t know that was in the plans too! My morning started off a little sluggish too but a spin class and green monster put me on the right track too. See you soon my dear! :)

Amber K July 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

Love the veggies in the morning :)

I would totally give you some rain if I could. It is POURING in Oregon right now.

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 17, 2011 at 10:44 am

I just love your deck! It is so beautiful!

Balancing Sylvia July 17, 2011 at 10:45 am

Eric has truly outdone himself with the deck. You guys have done a fabulous job. All those veggies look like they’re coming along very nicely too. Are you going to be canning anything? or are the leftovers headed for the freezer too?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 11:32 am

Im not sure I’ll have enough to can this year, but we’ll see! :)

kate July 17, 2011 at 10:47 am

your garden seriously looks so amazing I am jealous of your kale!!

Alaina July 17, 2011 at 10:49 am

Your garden looks great!! I can’t wait to grow my own veggies.

And the deck looks fabulous too! I love the black rails.

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats July 17, 2011 at 11:11 am

Your garden is really coming along! Thanks for being a green-thumb inspiration to us all! The desk is looking great as well!

Ashley July 17, 2011 at 11:12 am

Wow…again…I am completely amazed + impressed by this deck!!!!! I just finished a smoothie myself! Have a great Sunday!

doni July 17, 2011 at 11:14 am

I still have yet to try a GM, and this one looks great! We drink out of a lot of Ball/Mason jars, too :)

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 17, 2011 at 11:19 am

Your garden is beautiful! I love watching all the veggies grow…and your deck turned out fantastic!

Living, Learning, Eating July 17, 2011 at 11:22 am

Your green monsters always look so good :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 17, 2011 at 11:28 am

Green Monsters are the best. Especially when Mother Nature’s knockin on the door and veggies are the last thing on my mind!!

p.s. Do you have a specific blogging program that helps you to upload your pictures faster? Because mine take fooo-eva.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 11:31 am

Just livewriter…and it takes forever because we have a slow internet connection!

Zestful Lou July 17, 2011 at 11:56 am

I could have used a green monster this morning. I had a little…er, a lot too much to drink last night. I see a fresh veggie juice in my future

Katherine July 17, 2011 at 11:57 am

Gah, I wish I had that kale!

Katrina July 17, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Your garden is so fantastic looking. I am so jealous!

Kim July 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Your garden ROCKS!!! We haven’t had any rain in Austin in, oh about 100 years it seems :)

And, I’m going to have to try your green monster recipe – that looks awesome!! :)

~Kim (healthymammas.com)

Alice July 17, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Erm… that thing that you think is a beet? It isn’t. Beet leaves look a lot like spinach, and all the leaves will be coming up from ground level instead of from an above ground stem. Not sure what the thing in the picture is, maybe ragweed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011 at 9:13 am

I didnt think it looked anything like a beet but thats where I planted my beet seeds….weird!! Ill have to look it up…

[email protected] July 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Woww, it seems like everything is growing soooo speedily!! Haha, I so admire Eric’s skills. And he always has a big smile on his face when working….or he just knows you’re taking a photo…? :P

JenATX July 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I never knew that cucumbers have spikes… they look scary! and a little creepy! Do you just cut them off later?

Namaste Gurl July 17, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I am SO envious at the amount of kale and fresh veggies you’re growing– what fun that must for for a avid veggie lover :)
I love chocolate green monsters :)

Rebecca July 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I haven’t had a green monster in over a week and this reminds me what I’m missing. Yay for ginormous Costco spinach bags and super ripe bananas!

Mary July 17, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Wow! Your garden looks amazing. I wish I could have one, but I live in an apartment right now. I just found your site, so I haven’t tried a green monster yet, but I’ve got all the ingredients on my grocery list.

Gena July 17, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Hard to feel sluggish with all that GREEN in your day! :)

Jennifer July 17, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Came to visit from a comment on 100 days of real food. Just got a kick out of your calling them green monsters. In ’09 some of my children were having lots of trouble getting over colds So I put some of my green foods powder into their breakfast smoothies. We called it the green monster to make it fun & they felt better so quickly that they will ask for one when they are feeling under the weather. Just learned this week of putting the spinach & Kale into the so I’m thinking this might be a regular way to keep them from getting the colds this fall.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Enjoy Jennifer!

Brittany July 17, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I have a TON of kale coming up too! How do you freeze yours??

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Just wash, rip, and place in bag…squish out air before sealing :) You could also use a container too if you pack it tightly.

Jennifer Baldwin July 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Just wondering what you would do with okra…saw that you wished you had planted it … ours is growing like crazy but it just goes bad because the only thing I know to do with it is bread & fry.
I made this same smoothie (but with vega vanilla chai) … never thought to put oats in it ! I will try that tomorrow :)
Also, if youd like any other ideas on what to do with kale…check out my orange sesame kale salad…it’s my new fave :)
Jenny

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I looove it fried in a little olive oil and salt. So good! Ketchup for dippin is good too.

Shauna July 17, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Chop, freeze, and add to all of your winter stews, chilli’s, and soups :)

Michele July 17, 2011 at 4:52 pm

I love that idea of a privacy fence/rail thing! Ive never seen that here! Ive recently started having a green Juice (not smoothie) each morning and couldn’t feel better! Love them :)

Lorin July 17, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I have a random question/need advice. When you bake your delicious recipes like oat bars, cake, cookies ect., how do you balance eating it and eating healthier. Whenever I make stuff, it’s only me and my mom eating it, and really me eating the delicious baked goods but then I’m eating way more than I should. Do you freeze a lot of the stuff you make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Yes I do…and I give it away to friends & Erics coworkers.

Molly @ RDexposed July 17, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I want a pretty back deck that looks over my garden!

I noticed that No Illinois is experiencing drought like conditions as well today. Brown grass is taking over the city.

Ash @ Good Taste Healthy Me July 17, 2011 at 5:48 pm

The deck looks great!

Kaitlin @ Montgomery Minimalist July 17, 2011 at 6:20 pm

I’m jealous of your garden! We have a little balcony garden, which kind of pales in comparison. We planted some kale too, but it hasn’t done much of anything. Maybe it doesn’t grow well in the summer in Alabama?

Jen July 17, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I’ve never tried oats in my green smoothie before. I will have to do that!

Also – your garden is looking incredible! Makes me want to attempt a garden again.

'Dee July 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm

The garden is amazing! And what a cool privacy fence kit.

Although I have to confess that I snorted my wine a little bit when I read “in case we are up to trouble.”

;-)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I’m so impressed with Eric’s work! But like ‘Dee above, I was rather amused by your line about closing the privacy wall when you’re up to trouble :)

Bea July 17, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Wow..that deck is looking amazing. And love the veggies. As for the rain, you can have ours on the west coast. Nothing but rain for the last week. I want summer! Our gardens are all behind.

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 17, 2011 at 9:59 pm

your garden looks awesome! Mine is growing too fast, and I think my plants are too crowded!!! :(

Sarah July 18, 2011 at 2:33 am

I am crazy in love with your deck!!! It looks amazing and professional! Who needs a vacation with a backyard paradise like that!

tigerpants July 18, 2011 at 2:58 am

Your garden looks great! Just wanted to say that I think your ‘beets and carrots’ are just carrots – do a google image search for beet leaves, they’re more like chard or spinach.

Isabelle July 18, 2011 at 5:55 am

Your patio looks amazing!

Meredith July 18, 2011 at 6:10 am

Your deck and garden look fantastic, Angela!

I’ve never tried oats in a GM, may have to try that out tomorrow morning. I’m just finishing off a banana soft serve VOO parfait in a (sort of) empty Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter jar… perfection!

Sultana July 18, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’m soooo impressed. Can I come over for a gardening tutorial!? I can’t grow anything to save my life!

Jessica July 18, 2011 at 7:02 am

oh yeah I have tons of cukes! mostly huge curly ones. the bugs are really loving the broccoli & cauliflower I planted.. they are really eating the leaves. Hopefully they will leave the good stuff alone. I also have a ton of Cayenne peppers, but it occurs to me that I don’t know what to do with it.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 18, 2011 at 8:11 am

The garden looks like an abundance of goodness just waiting to be picked! So jealous! No room for anything that big. I *LOVE* that privacy fence! That is really awesome especially for a deck area!!

Jennifer Baldwin July 18, 2011 at 8:52 am

I tried my green smoothie with oats today…YUM !!!
I need to get the Vega Choco flavor…I am a little burnt out on Chai now.

Amber from Berlinswhimsy July 18, 2011 at 10:05 am

Wow, what a vibrant garden you have growing! I have my own little garden and it’s so much fun to watch the growth daily… Enjoy! :-)

[email protected] July 18, 2011 at 3:54 pm

wow your garden looks fab, I would love to grow veggies. whats the easiest to grow?

Meg | One Love Meg July 18, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Your garden is amazing. WOW!! I just built some garden boxes and planted everything on Saturday. I hope all the veggies do well. I am not sure how much I am supposed to water them in the beginning. The tomato plant is looking a little sad. I can’t wait until my garden looks like yours. So great!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner July 18, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Angela, your garden looks amazzzzzing!!!!!! i’m jealous and wish I could have one of my own!

Meredith July 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

That GM looks awesome! I finally worked up the courage to add kale to my GM that I brought to work today as part of my lunch, way better than I expected! I was kind of scared, but I could barely taste it! I buy that same frozen mango at Costco, such a great deal!

Catherine July 20, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Congrats on the deck and the vegetable garden. You two have been hard at work since the spring, and it’s clearly paying off! All that kale… yummy.