Oil-Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG_7457

Man, I’m feeling bummed right now. I would guess that my mom is too based on her tears when I dropped her off at the airport this morning. She starts to cry, then I start to cry…it ain’t pretty! I think I even saw a nearby taxi driver shed a tear.

We always have such a great time together and then when it’s all over I feel a pit in my stomach when she has to leave. I’ve already called her once since I got home from the airport. I may look like a grown woman, but I’m still a mama’s girl at heart. ;)

IMG_7460

The good news is, we’ll always have this incredible oil-free Zucchini loaf to remember the good times and great food on this trip!

I even sent her off with a big slice to take on the plane with her. It comforts me knowing that she has my yummy homemade food to eat instead of cardboard plane food. I’m a strong believer in wholegrain carbs when you’re feeling blue!

IMG_7589-2

Plus, carbs are addicting which means that she’ll have to come back to visit real soon…right?

IMG_7463

IMG_7478

None of us could believe that this loaf does not contain oil! Magic trick #2 this weekend. (See Magic Trick #1: The eggless fluffy chocolate cupcake!)

The shredded zucchini does a wonderful job giving this loaf moisture..and you don’t taste the zucchini at all. You can see beautiful flecks of green though!

IMG_7463-3

It’s a very dense loaf, but not in a bad way! Whole grain spelt flour tends to make dense breads, but I just love the nutty flavour of spelt so I don’t mind. The walnuts, streusel, and raisins add just the right amount of sweetness and crunch.

IMG_7480

We’ve been enjoying this not-too-sweet loaf for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. If you like your baked goods sweet you might want to add another 1/4 cup of sugar, but we thought it was just perfect for a healthy snack.

It’s wonderful spread with Earth Balance, nut butter and jam…or just enjoyed plain!

IMG_7481

On that note, I think I may need some endorphin-inducing carbs to cheer me up…

IMG_7483-2

1 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 14, 2011

Aw I’m sure your mom misses you even more right now! Did you always feel this way about your mom, or did you go through those teenage years at some point (which is what I’m going through right now!)?

I’ve never tried fat free zuchinni baking before, but I’ve gotta try this trick out :)

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Oh yes we certainly went through those teenage years! My mom and I started to become good friends in my early twenties! :)

3 Marina June 14, 2011

Love this recipe! I bookmarke it, and I can’t wait to make it some time soon. The ingredients are absolutely awesome!

4 The Healthy Hipster June 14, 2011

Gorgeous photos and such an inventive & delicious (not to mention healthified!) recipe as always Angela! Can’t wait to try it out.

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 14, 2011

Good call sending your mom off with a slice. This looks MUCH better than airplane snacks. :)

I made Zucchini “Bread” Oatmeal yesterday! Reading your recipe for “real” bread, I realize I totally should have added nutmeg too. It was awesome though!

6 Kristen June 14, 2011

Oh wow, that oatmeal sounds amazing – if you wouldn’t mind posting the recipe, that’d be awesome! :)

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 14, 2011
8 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 14, 2011

Awww I’m glad you guys had a great visit, and sorry it had to end in tears! Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to get together again soon. I bet she was super impressed by all of the DIY you and Eric have been doing! You two ladies look gorgeous!! As does this loaf by the way… ;)

9 JenATX June 14, 2011

love zucchini breads & muffins! I took a batch to work last year and no one at them :( my feelings were a little hurt but at least that meant more for me! haha

10 Lisa Fine June 14, 2011

I hate having to say goodbye to my family, even though I know I’ll speak to them soon.

I like the idea of baking something that’s oil-free, and then topping it with a bit of nut butter for some healthy fats.

11 char @ char on a mission June 14, 2011

I am SOLD – I feel very much in a baking mood today, so along with your strawberry oat bars, I am so making this (pretty sure I have *most* of the ingredients). It’s always sad to say goodbye to family and I hope you get to see her soon enough – I think it was a good idea to load her up on your good foods ;) I love seeing the two wall colours in the picture of you and your mom. They look so nice next to each other (just like you and your mom, naturally!)

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Thank you! Enjoy the loaf :)

13 Liz @ Blog is the New Black June 14, 2011

Bookmarked! :)

14 Shanna, Like Banana June 14, 2011

I hear streusel and I am sold!

I’m a Mama’s girl too ;)

15 Rhona June 14, 2011

Looks amazing! Oil free goods are really good and so tasty. Most times I am shocked that the taste is so amazing sans oil. I look forward to making this one day soon.

16 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 14, 2011

I can’t imagine not living near my parents… they are so important to me and I’d find it so difficult! Will you be visiting them this summer?

This loaf looks so good! My sister is moving into her first home on July 1 so I’ll make her this as a house warming treat :)

17 Sarah June 14, 2011

Is it possible to add a squished banana and reduce some of the sugar?

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Im not sure because the sugar is dry and a banana would be considered a ‘wet’ ingredient. It is usually suggested to maintain the same ratio of wet to dry ingredients. The loaf is already very moist and dense and I would be afraid that a banana might make it too ‘heavy’. Perhaps you could reduce some of the zucchini to maybe 3/4 cup?

19 chloe @ 321delish June 14, 2011

I have been on a bread kick recently. This is going to be next on the list!

20 Tichina June 14, 2011

Awee I bet your Mom is missing you a whole bunch too!! I know the feeling too my Mom and I are more like sisters since I’ve left home and I always anticipate our visits while I’m living in my home during University. How we get by? Tons and tons of phone calls, it makes a world of difference :) And like everything, a little bit of chocolate helps too!

21 erin @ WELL in L.A. June 14, 2011

Making this with my mom when I see her in two months (yay!! it’s been since Christmas time last year!)! I hope you and your mom chat via Skype – that helps my mom & I at least “see” each other. Your photos are so bright and beautiful on this post. Beautiful mother & daughter alike! Cheers & have a wonderful day!

22 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 14, 2011

That definitely looks yummier than plane food – and hear hear for cheering up with carbs :)

23 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 14, 2011

This looks so good! I love your recipes. I’m waiting for the avocado on my counter to ripen so I can make your avocado pasta again.

24 Emily June 14, 2011

Looks good, I’m bookmarking this for when our zucchinis start grow in like crazy!!

25 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 14, 2011

I’ve been looking for a great zucchini bread recipe.. and I think I might have just found it! Thanks so much Angela!!!

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 14, 2011

This looks fantastic with the melting butter (or Earth balance? ;) ) on it!

27 Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 14, 2011

Lovelovelove breads- thanks for the recipe Angela :)

28 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com June 14, 2011

Great recipe! I like to sub in canned pumpkin or sweet potato puree for the oil. Makes baked goods so rich and moist. Nice trick with the non dairy milk!

29 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 14, 2011

Awwh so sweet!! I’m glad you guys had a great visit!
This sounds so good and I love the simplicity of the recipe!! :)

Might have to give this a go!!

30 Caroline @ chocolate & carrots June 14, 2011

Yum! That looks so hearty and moist! :)

31 Heidi @ Food Doodles June 14, 2011

Yum :D That looks awesome. Love zucchini bread!

32 jordanarae June 14, 2011

Growing up our garden had more zucchinis than we could handle. A family recipe that’s been handed down over the years is chocolate zucchini cake. We’d whip up cakes to hand out as gifts – we had that much excess zucchini. Some people get weirded out but it is the moistest? cake I’ve ever had. I’ve found it posted online but it’s just not the same as my great-grandma’s!

I’m going to have to try out the loaf!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

wow that sounds fantastic!!

34 Ashley June 14, 2011

I love zucchini bread! I also like to add a bit of dark chocolate chips to it as well:)

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

You and Eric would be BFF’s! hehe ;)

36 Moni'sMeals June 14, 2011

Aww, hang in there with your mom leaving… I am exactly the same way with mine.

On another note:
Now this recipe rocks! I think it is getting made in my kitchen today or tomorrow. :)

37 Carol June 14, 2011

Your bread looks delish:) Can’t wait til I have a surplus of zucchini to use! Glad you got to spend time with your mom. I always get very emotional whenever I leave my family or they leave me. I only get to see my family a few times a year. My hubby and live about 5 hours from both of our parents.

Hope you have a great rest of the day!

38 Jen G. June 14, 2011

Awww… I know what you mean! I live a 5-hr drive from my family, and they all came to visit this weekend (including my sister and 2-year-old niece). Seeing them leave was HARD!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

It is! My sister, BIL, and two nephews are coming for a week in july and I know i’ll be super sad when they leave!

40 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 14, 2011

Aw, I hate good-byes!! Hopefully you’ll have another visit in the very near future.

Your loaf looks great – I was expecting to see applesauce or something like that in lieu of the oil! I can’t wait to give it a try; especially once zucchinis come into season.

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

I think the zucchini might replace the applesauce in this oil free bread because it has so much moisture!

42 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 14, 2011

I love how zucchini adds so much moisture to baked goods. Whenever I can add veggies in I do! Hope the carbs comfort you ;)

43 kate June 14, 2011

Aww im sure your mom loves having you send her off with snacks when she leaves. I am the same way I hate leaving my parents we always have so much fun together!

44 Emily June 14, 2011

My ex-boyfriend’s mom used to make me vegan chocolate zucchini bread, it was so good!

45 Abby June 14, 2011

Glad you and your mom got to spend some quality time together! The loaf looks incredible! I am allergic to walnuts so I will have to sub out with a different nut if I make this! I’m sure it will still work out fine though! :) I love baking with zucchini!

46 Julie @ Shining From Within June 14, 2011

Mmmm.. This looks so moist. I love dense bread. I’d love to make French toast using this bread!

47 Gen June 14, 2011

I hate goodbyes!!!!
That bread looks seriously amazing, though! I think I just figured out what to do with the zucchini that I just bought! :D

48 Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl June 14, 2011

That looks so delicious! You always come up with great breakfast alternatives. :)

49 carrie June 14, 2011

I can totally relate to the sad send off. We moved from Alabama to Maine last year and even though I’m a mom to three I still miss my mom and dad so much!!! They are flying in today and I know there will be lots of tears when they leave :(

P.S. I’m loving the looks of this zucchini bread!!!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

have a great visit!

51 Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 14, 2011

Wow that looks SO good! I can’t believe there is no oil in it! That looks amazing!!!

52 dana @ my little celebration June 14, 2011

This looks looks great! I love zucchini and crumble topping. Glad you had fun with your mom! I miss mine a lot, too!

53 Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 14, 2011

I remember visiting my Grandmother as a little girl and watching my Mom cry as we left her house after our vacation was over. At the time I didn’t understand it because I had my Mom with me all the time, but now I can definitely relate. Leaving your Mom is hard!

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

I totally agree. My mom used to always say to me, ‘You’ll understand when you are a mom someday!’

55 Heather (heathers dish) June 14, 2011

Oil free sounds perfect to me! Especially if streusel is involved!

56 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 14, 2011

I’m glad you had such a nice time with your Mom! I’m lucky to live within 5 minutes of my parents, but when I lived a few hours away from them I remember getting so sad after they came for a visit — it is so nice to spend time with them!

57 NicoleD June 14, 2011

How sweet! I’m sure the slice she took with her helped :)

58 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 14, 2011

I’ve never been a big fan of cooked zucchini (e.g. in a stirfry). Then last year my neighbour offered me a load of zucchini. I didn’t want to offend her so I took it. This led to some exploration and an amazing string of recipes: raw zucchini soup, chocolate zucchini bread, raw zucchini pastas, zucchini hummus etc. I love anything with streusel, so this recipe will get added to the mix!

59 Kristen June 14, 2011

My whole family just flew 3 hours to be here for my graduation from grad school (including my 3-month-old nephew!). I cried when they got here AND when they left :( Skype helps a lot, though, as does baking! (I call it baking therapy or stress baking…lol)

60 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 14, 2011

This looks SO moist for being oil free! Can’t wait to try it!

61 Hayley @ Oat Couture June 14, 2011

If anything could cheer you up it would definitely be a big fat slice of that yummy zucchini bread! :) Enjoy!

62 Katherine June 14, 2011

That bread is almost as gorgeous as you!

63 Amanda P June 14, 2011

This looks so good! Like the perfect after work snack for me. I must make this soon. My parents lives 800 miles away and its really hard when they leave after a great visit. Not fun. But they are coming to see me this weekend so I am excited, maybe I should make this for them!

64 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) June 14, 2011

Beautiful bread, beautiful mom, beautiful you :) Moms are the best! and although my mom lives close by I miss her even I have’nt talked to her in awhile. I hope your day gets better :)

65 ellalinea June 14, 2011

This looks amazing angela! But I’m afraid if I make this, I’m gonna eat it in one sitting :)

66 Katie June 14, 2011

Oh, this looks so delicious! I started to tear up reading this post because I haven’t seen my mom since Christmas and I’m going home next week. This is the longest we’ve ever gone without seeing each other, so I am so excited to give her a big hug :)

67 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 14, 2011

I am bookmarking this NOW! My garden is about to overflow with zucchini!!

68 allison June 14, 2011

Awww i get to visit my family at the end of the month and i know ill be bawling when i leave:(:(

I love zucchini bread! it reminds me of summer, and my mom since she makes it every summer:):)

69 Sara (The Veggie-Eco Life) June 14, 2011

This looks really good! :)

70 Zestful Lou June 14, 2011

Now that I’m all grown up and moved out, I find myself calling my mom and dad a lot during the week just to chat!

I just had an interview for a full-time teaching position, and if I get the job I’m going buy myself a congratulatory camera like yours so that I can really start focusing on the photography portion of my blog!! I love your pictures.

I just happen to have a couple large zucchinis sitting in my fridge, as well as some negleted walnuts and raisins in my pantry. I think this recipe should put them to good use! I can’t wait to sink my teeth into this and top it with the strawberry freezer jam I just made!!!!

71 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 14, 2011

My mom just moved this past week, and it’ll be rough having to see each other via plane. Ugh… not looking forward to that!

The recipe looks great by the way! (as usual)

72 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 14, 2011

My mom just left too so I can understand where you’re coming from (although our relationship is not as wonderful as yours is). This loaf looks so good that I think I can actually smell it through my computer screen… which may be why I’m unnecessarily close my screen…. :-)

73 Christina June 14, 2011

I always loved zucchini bread but an oil free zucchini bread tops the cake!! That sounds amazing and LOOKS delish! Hopefully when I get over this little cold it won’t be too warm for some baking :)

74 Cassidy June 14, 2011

Hey Angela, I was wondering… I have all the ingredients to make this loaf (which I plan on making today!) except I only have chia seeds. In general, would a chia egg work in place of a flax egg? Which do you prefer?

75 Ana June 14, 2011

I alternate when i bake between chia and flax so I think youd be fine but Angela probably knows better than i do

76 Ana June 14, 2011

I literally just put a loaf of zucchini bread in the oven when i saw your post! i was so disappointed that i didnt notice it earlier! Your recipe looks so much better, well maybe next time :)

77 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 14, 2011

I can’t believe there isn’t oil in this loaf either! Incredible. Anyway, I love all the shots with the Earth Balance. A little too much. Like . . . I NEED this in my preggo stomach NOW! <3

78 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 14, 2011

Oh my gosh, this is PERFECT timing! I really, really wanted to try out a new quick bread recipe this weekend. Ever since I made my first (good) gluten-free carrot cake loaf last month, I’ve been addicted to eating quick breads before my long runs on the weekend.
This looks so good. I will try to make it gluten free this weekend and report back. Dun dun duhhh… I’ve learned that making gluten free quick breads from a gluten recipe rarely works on the first try. So it may take me a bit to get it right!
Also, I love the soft corners (I’m sure there is a technical term) you’ve been making on your photographs lately. It adds such a nice touch!

79 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 14, 2011

My inability to bake properly will totally not keep me from trying to make this!

ah-mazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

80 kaila @ healthy helper! June 14, 2011

I love baking with zuchinni!!! Thanks for the recipe!

81 Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 14, 2011

I am whispering to my zucchini plants what their fate will be. I’m sure they won’t mind. Mua ha ha. An oil free loaf? Count me in on trying this out!

82 Sarah June 14, 2011

Awww, Angela. I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye to your mother today. I hope you’re able to say hello to her again very soon.

83 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 14, 2011

I always have such a hard time parting with my parents after a visit too. I hope you have another visit with her soon to look forward to though! :)

84 LizAshlee June 14, 2011

I feel the same way when I leave my family! Great plan for giving her some addicting carbs so she will come back to visit, although I am thinking she will be back for lots of other reasons, like maybe just to hang out with you amazing daughter!:) I always do best when I keep myself busy after my company leaves…takes your mind off things.

The loaf looks outstanding! and OIL-FREE!

Have a wonderful day!

LizAshlee
twitter.com/lizashleeblog

85 LizAshlee June 14, 2011

Oh I forgot to mention…I made a version of half the calories, double the fun almond butter (see today’s post) and I am thinking it would taste amazing on the loaf…I might just have to go do some baking!

86 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 14, 2011

Oh girlie! I always feel the same way when I leave my mom. We’re separated by 6 hours in the car, and it’s way too far. ON a positive note, the loaf looks goooooood. Can’t believe it’s oil-free!

87 Stephenie Zamora June 14, 2011

Yum, this looks delicious and reminds me of my mom’s zucchini bread! And sending you a big hug! It’s only good bye for now, you’ll see her again soon! xo

88 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 14, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing!!

89 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 14, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing!!

90 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 14, 2011

The loaf looks wonderful. love the shot with the earth balance on it. Everything is better with butter :) Or buttery spreads.

And you and your mom getting all teary eyed upon leaving each other…Awww, Ange, major hugs! I know how close you and your mom are and I can only imagine you are feeling very….bummed right now. I hope you two can see each other again, soon!

And if nothing else, reading this makes me want to do everything I can so that one day Skylar and I are as close as you an your mama are…it’s just beautiful :)

91 Runnergirl June 14, 2011

Could the spelt flour be switched with whole wheat pastry flour? I’ve seen spelt flour but have never used it…what does it taste like? LOVE your blog ;-)

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

hmm im not sure! Sometimes I find WWPF can be crumbly in a loaf. Let me know if you try it out!

93 Runnergirl June 16, 2011

Thank you…I let you know if I try it. Or I may just get the spelt flour!

94 Mama Pea June 14, 2011

You are like me, make it oil free and then slather Earth Balance or nut butter on top! :)

95 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 14, 2011

I just made zucchini bread the other day (which was amazing), but I really wish I’d seen this recipe beforehand! I love that it’s oil free and the cinnamon streusel sounds fabulousss!

96 Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness June 14, 2011

Oh, I know that feeling. I love far away from my mom too and its the WORST having to say goodbye after a visit. It never gets easier, and talking on the phone doesn’t help. I think I’m going to have to try this recipe, in honor of moms who lives far away from daughters…

97 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 14, 2011

I love zucchini bread. I bet this would be sooo good as french toast.

98 Tara @ ThriftyCanadianShopper June 14, 2011

aww you and your mom are so cute! :) so sad to say goodbye isn’t it. I live about 4000 miles away from my family right now, I definitely get homesick quite a bit.
totally off topic, but have you done any posts on tea biscuits? I looked in your recipe section but no luck finding one. I thought for sure I would come across one on here :)

99 Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitche June 14, 2011

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Your mom is too cute!

100 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 14, 2011

Great minds must think alike – I baked choc ZUCCHINI friands on the weekend!

101 Ashley June 14, 2011

The bread looks perfect and it’s so pretty. The colors in your post today are so cheery + fabulous. I’m so sorry your mom had to leave so soon. I know that feeling and it’s awful. :( Despite being sad…I hope you have a great rest of the week!

102 Lauren June 14, 2011

This looks amazing! do you think would it work with grated apples or carrots? I love the green speckles in the loaf though!!

103 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 14, 2011

This recipe looks scrumptious. I will be making it soon! Hope your mum gets to come back soon as well!

104 Kristine June 14, 2011

I am moving away (across the US) and I am best friends with my mom. We seriously do everything together and I have no idea what i’m going to do without her! It is going to be the hardest thing ever to leave. When did you move away from your mom? For college? Any advice? :(

105 Wendy Irene June 14, 2011

This recipe looks absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

106 Leslie June 14, 2011

Oh man, I feel for you! I know exactly how you feel, my family lives in Sask. and I in Alberta….always so hard to say goodbye even when we are all grown up :(

But baking always helps me, hopefully you too :)

107 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 14, 2011

This is exactly the kind of recipe I look for when doing my baking. Whole, simple ingredients that is healthy, vegan and delicious!
Thanks for this, I look forward to more of your oil-free baking experiments!

108 Carey @ Positively Blonde June 14, 2011

I love the idea of flax egg! I’m definitely going to give that a try in some recipes!

My mom and I are the same way. We both have sob fest when one of our visits comes to an end :(

109 Yolanda June 14, 2011

I have to stay completely away from sugar, do you think I could substitute something else for that, such as honey? Please e-mail me as I’d really like to try this, thanks!

110 Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 14, 2011

Aww, You look JUST like your mom!

So sweet.

111 Bonnie June 14, 2011

That looks absolutely scrumptious! Your recipes and healthy living is so inspiring. :)

112 Ashley M. from Austin June 14, 2011

y’all are b-e-a-utiful!! All of your recipes rock my world, & i’m sure this zucc loaf will live up to the standard!

113 Megan@eatmybeets June 14, 2011

Hmm I wonder if you could cut out the sugar and just make it a savory loaf? I’ve been toying with the idea of baking bread… but I think I may just keep thinking about it and not actually do it. Too time consuming haha

114 marla {family fresh cooking} June 14, 2011

Angela, you and your mom are so cute together! I hope I am close to my kids always. I bet this cake will bring you both back together really soon – it does look awesome :)

115 Jenny June 15, 2011

Perfect timing! I made this tonight with the oh-so-close-to-expiring zucchinis in my fridge and my husband ate half the loaf before it even had a chance to cool completely! I hid the rest :)

116 Ali @ Around the VeggieTable June 15, 2011

Awww I’m so sorry you miss your mama. Goodbyes are so hard. Last week we visited my fiance’s dad who he only sees about once a year (if that). I felt SO bad for him watching them hug goodbye at the airport…men are just as big babies as us sometimes! Hope you get to see her again SOON! :)

117 Molly @ RDexposed June 15, 2011

Guilt-free? I’ll pretend so!

118 faith June 15, 2011

I am looking forward to coming back to this post/recipe when my garden is full of zucchini next month!

119 Sonia The Healthy Foodie June 15, 2011

YUM! This bread looks FANTASTIC! Just my kind of carbs, really! I have to give it a try, and soon! This is sooo going on my must try list!

120 kris (everyday oats) June 15, 2011

I love baking breads! Especially oil free ones :)
Being oil free, is the bread still crumbly, or is it more of a chewy texture?

121 Tracy @ Commit To Fit June 15, 2011

Love the recipe, definitely inspired me to do my own version :)

122 Andi June 18, 2011

AMAZING!!!! I made this loaf to take with me to Europe today… but I am not sure it is going to make it there : ) another hit, thanks Angela!

123 Zestful Lou June 18, 2011

Mmmm! I made this last night and had two slices for breakfast. It was gooey and dense and wonderful. Don’t you just love susan’s recipes over at FF Vegan?

124 Luv What You Do June 22, 2011

I love zucchini bread and finally had the time to try this recipe today. I didn’t even use the topping and it is so good! Thanks for sharing. I will be making it numerous times over the summer, especially when I visit my friend who has recently become a vegan.

125 Sadie July 22, 2012

Yum! I made this last night with a few changes (ok a lot of changes) and it was DELICIOUS. I think I’ll make another loaf and freeze it since I have tons of fresh zucchini from my garden.

126 NIgelle July 24, 2012

Could the flax egg be replaced with chia seeds? If so, how much? And is it possoble to add more zucchini? If so, what wet ingredient would I need to reduce? Thanks so much! Love your blog. You inspire me!

127 Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 17, 2012

I love this recipe! I want to try making it again but with agave instead of sugar. How much almond milk do you think I’d need to reduce and do you have a general idea of how much agave to put in?

128 Samantha August 20, 2012

Do you need to squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini prior to mixing it in with the other wet ingredients? My loaf was UBER-moist – I tried baking it at 375 for a bit longer…almost an hour and 15 minutes, in fact, which seems like a crazy amount of time for zucchini bread! In the end I was too impatient to wait any longer, and while the outside pieces were delicious the inside was still too moist and uncooked :(

Not sure where I went wrong, but maybe next time I’ll just stick to 400 to ensure it bakes properly? Luckily I have about 90 pounds of zucchini in my kitchen :)

129 Samantha September 4, 2012

Has anyone else had this issue? I really want to make it again but don’t want to waste the ingredients if it doesn’t work…would really appreciate any feedback!

130 Cat August 23, 2013

Hi, I just made it too and had the same problem. I was sad as it cost a lot for the ingredients and I was going to use it for a snack at work. I cooked mine for at least an hour and a half and it was still gooey and inedible. It seems as if many people have written with the same problem. Why has the author of this recipe not responded to any of the concerns? I surely won’t use any of the other recipes on this site. There are many good vegan cookbooks that are true and tested. I will stick to those.

131 Chris August 25, 2012

Always on the look out for oil free recipes since I have
2 stents and am on a strict diet.
Love your recipes, love your photos, and thoroughly
enjoy your friendly and funny blogs!

132 Carolyn September 8, 2012

Just made this and OMG – best ever! I didn’t have spelt flour and used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white whole wheat flour. It was less dense, but incredibly delicious. I will be making this frequently. Thank you!

133 butters September 14, 2012

Hey Angela when i first saw this recipe i fell in love wit it I try giving it a try i followed everything right but one thing i did add was some shredded carrots. and for some reason the inside did not cook i left it in the oven for over an hour on 375 i do not know where i went wrong.. can u help…

134 Amelia October 26, 2012

Dear Angela,
You are such an inspiration to me! I am sixteen years old and have been struggling with an eating disorder for two and a half years. I have been treated four times, and I am finally trying to eat healthily and get my life back. This year, I have come to learn about the cruelty dealt to animals in the food/ clothing/ cosmetics industries. I am dying to become vegan and teach others about the benefits to humans and animals when abstaining from meat. Unfortunately, I am forced to eat meat twice a week, which I eat in the form of fish. It is a painful process, because I feel disgusting and horrible for the animals. Putting meat into my body just feels wrong! I have one in the fight to refuse dairy, though!!! I have also had lots of trouble with exercise, which means that this is the first year I can exercise healthily! Being as healthy as you is my goal!! Thank you for your recipes!!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012

Thank you Amelia!! I appreciate your kind words.

136 Sarah May 30, 2013

BEST ZUCCHINI BREAD EVER!!!
Thank you so much for this & all of your amazing recipes. Seriously, every recipe from this blog is fantastic, and this bread is definitely no exception. So moist, such fantastic flavors, and best of all, healthy!!!
Love it!!

137 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2013

thank you Sarah!

138 Shannon June 24, 2013

Wow – this loaf is amazing! I brought it along with me to a girls weekend where no one else is Vegan. Forget about not believing it was Vegan – they couldn’t get past the fact that it is oil-free. Absolutely delicious!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

139 Bethany August 11, 2013

Looks yummy! I don’t have spelt flour on hand but I have some Bobs Red Mill gluten free baking flour and I also have some oat flour. Can I substitute either of those for the spelt flour..or a combo of those two?

140 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2013

Hey Bethany, I haven’t tried it any other way, so I cant say for sure. Spelt flour can be tricky to sub sometimes, but let me know if you try it out!

141 Bethany August 11, 2013

I actually used the oat flour and it’s still in the oven now – I put it in at 375 for 40 mins and checked it and it needed more time, then I checked after another 10 and thought it was done, but when I cut into it, it was really raw/doughy on the bottom half so I put it in for another 20 mins, still raw! So right now it’s in the oven for another 20 mins…hoping that it will cook through because it smells so yummy and the top tastes great! haha Any suggestions?

142 Bethany August 11, 2013

Update – The Oat Flour was a Fail…..hahaha. Thankfully I still have a ton of zucchini to use up from my garden! Going to grab some spelt flour and try this out -as written – asap! :-) Thanks again for posting this recipe!

143 Bethany August 11, 2013

Sorry, one more thing – Is there any way to salvage the doughy disaster vs. tossing it out? I hate wasting food – Let me know if there is anything I can do with it! Thanks again! <3

144 Ritu August 15, 2013

Hi! I made this bread the other day and it smelled amazing in the oven…I went with your suggestion of baking at 375 for a bit longer and had a bit of trouble getting the bread really done! My oven does tend to run a little warmer than it says, so maybe it really needed the 400? Took forever, ended up not being 100 % baked through in the centre, but still delicious! I would definitely make this again, but I think I’d make it into muffins to make sure it cooks through! What size loaf pan did you use?

145 Bethany August 16, 2013

OK So I tried this again with Spelt flour this time! I set my oven to 375 checked it after an hour and it still wasn’t cooked through, so I checked it every 10 mins after that and took it out at 1 hour 30 mins. Still not completely cooked through and this time I followed the recipe exactly. It’s cooling right now, I didn’t want to leave it in any longer because the outside was getting tough. Any suggestions? Not sure what I did wrong this time.

146 Cat August 21, 2013

Hi, I made this recipe and cooked it for an hour and a half and it was still wet and goey inside. I followed the recipe exactly as it is written. I compared it to other zucchini bread recipes to try and figure out what was wrong and the only thing different was the amount of plant based milk. Your recipe calls for 1 and 1/4 cups and most recipes call for half that amount or less. I also used spelt flour but I have never had this problem with spelt in other recipes. Do you think that is the problem or is it a typo in your recipe? Thank you so much. Cat

147 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2013

Hi cat, I’m going to work on this recipe – thanks for letting me know! I’m sorry you had problems with it.

148 Alex September 11, 2013

I know this recipe is older, but I keep coming back to it. Absolutely deslish and a crowd pleaser.. You are awesome, keep great recipes coming :)

149 Michele Miller October 1, 2013

Hello,
I was looking for a zucchini bread recipe . I found you’res and made it today.
I am starting to eat clean foods. Your Ideas are great. I loved the zucchini bread.
I could not let it cool down enough,before I had to try it. Oh how wonderful .
I even ate the parchment paper by accident . I had two more pieces of bread and I did not top off the bread with the icing. Lol I am having the happiest day looking at all of your food.
Your recipes are so great. Thank You, for sharing them! : )

150 Conny January 3, 2014

I would love to try this, but I can’t take that much fructose…any other things, I could use instead of the raisins? more nuts maybe?

151 Rana Hanna February 6, 2014

GREAT!!!! I just decided to become vegan about a week ago and this turned to be amazing ! im so excited :)

152 Lindsay July 21, 2014

Where can I find the nutritional information on this loaf? It’s delicious :)

153 Rebecca July 31, 2014

I made this and it turned out great! Due to some people saying it was too wet and never cooked through, I decreased the non-dairy milk to 1 cup. I omitted the lemon zest and replaced the raisins with chocolate chips (because a quick-bread loaf isn’t complete without chocolate chips). I love that it’s oil-free, which allows me to not feel guilty eating this for breakfast! (Which I just did! Yum!)

154 Lindsay August 13, 2014

Can I use cow’s milk? It’s all I have in the house at the moment.

155 Tina September 15, 2014

Another great recipe Angela. I only had cane sugar so my crumble wasn’t crumbly so I added some oats to it. It was great.

156 Kelsi October 4, 2014

I love your recipes, they’re always so reliable!!
I recently developed a recipe that was very much inspired by this one (I linked you on my blog), I hope you check it out!

157 Lise December 6, 2014

Love this recipe! I have made it many times. Today my teenage daughter pulled out this recipe and with a very big hint suggested I make it today ;) I did of course, along with a double batch of the Eat your greens Detox Soup from your cookbook! I have made my own modifications to your recipe. I have a convection oven. I place the loaf at 375F for one hour and this bakes it just right. I also double your spices 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg. Our family really enjoys this loaf along with many of your recipes which never fails to disappoint! Thank you!

158 Patty February 3, 2015

Wow! Once again I am blown away by one of your recipes! These days literally everything I make comes from your website or your book. I trust it all because it’s always spot on and delicious! For this recipe I omitted the streusel and I used chopped dates instead of raisins and it was so good! This is a perfectly moist, not to sweet loaf and a great way to incorporate zucchini into your breakfast!

159 MCM February 16, 2015

This looks amazing! Any suggestions on substitutions on the flax egg, I don’t have ground flax, but have flax flour, chia seeds, and hemp seeds?

160 monica March 21, 2015

Hello. I’m new to your blog, but I already have bookmarked a dozen recipes! I don’t have a load tin, can I use an 8″ cake tin instead. Would I have to adjust the barking time? Thanks. I look forward to trying out a lot of your recipes.

161 monica t April 12, 2015

Hi! I used white whole wheat flour, and followed the recipe exactly. I had to bake it in a loaf tin for almost an hour. The outside was done, and kind of hard, but the inside was moist. It wasn’t really cake like, in that it didn’t cut cleanly, even though the toothpick I used to check it came out clean. Have I done something wrong, or is it supposed to be this moist on the inside? I have to say, it tastes great! Is not too sweet, which I love, and there is no oil! I’ll definitely make this more often if I can sort out the moisture issue

162 Deb July 4, 2015

Hi Angela!

Happy 4th! I would like to know if I can use gluten-free flour for this recipe and for the chocolate zucchini muffin recipe? Thanks!

163 Tabitha July 19, 2015

Made it tonight, gluten free (only flour I had available, and had a huge zucchini waiting for me when I returned from vacation). Used half brown rice flour and half buckwheat. Turned out great.. A little bit crumbly, but not terrible.

164 kathy mcnulty October 22, 2015

Hi Angela,
Just stumbled on your site today when looking for a gluten and dairy free eggplant dish. I made your eggplant /zucchini casserole for dinner… very good and now am baking your cinammon walnut bread with gluten free flour – smelling good!
Looking forward to trying more of you yummy looking food. Love the pix of you and your Mom, mine haas been deceased now for 9 years,but looking forward to when 1 of my 5 adult chidren have kiddos of their own.
Blessings to you!!
Kathy

165 Donna October 25, 2015

This zucchini bread is delicious! My husband said he could eat it all day long! :) I’m making your 10-Spice Vegetable Soup right now. Served it to our kids when they were here a couple of months ago and they loved it—— our son asked for the recipe! It’s a really good soup recipe and does freeze well! Thank you, Angela, for 2 more great recipes!

166 Regina March 25, 2016

Made the GF version of this and came out so good!! Used 1 cup AP gluten free flour + 1 cup buckwheat flour. Also subbed honey and egg instead because I’m not vegan. Cooked it for 45 min and it came out perfect! Heard people saying things about not cooking all the way or too gooey so I omitted 1/4cup milk and it was so tasty ?

167 Susan Auriemma April 10, 2016

This is delicious! I followed the recipe as written but reduced the almond milk to 1 cup based on other reviews. Non plant based followers requested a 2nd slice!