Oil-Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7457   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Man, I’m feeling bummed right now. I would guess that my mom is too based on her tears when I dropped her off at the airport this morning. She starts to cry, then I start to cry…it ain’t pretty! I think I even saw a nearby taxi driver shed a tear.

We always have such a great time together and then when it’s all over I feel a pit in my stomach when she has to leave. I’ve already called her once since I got home from the airport. I may look like a grown woman, but I’m still a mama’s girl at heart. ;)

IMG 7460   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

The good news is, we’ll always have this incredible oil-free Zucchini loaf to remember the good times and great food on this trip!

I even sent her off with a big slice to take on the plane with her. It comforts me knowing that she has my yummy homemade food to eat instead of cardboard plane food. I’m a strong believer in wholegrain carbs when you’re feeling blue!

IMG 7589 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Plus, carbs are addicting which means that she’ll have to come back to visit real soon…right?

IMG 7463   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7478   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

None of us could believe that this loaf does not contain oil! Magic trick #2 this weekend. (See Magic Trick #1: The eggless fluffy chocolate cupcake!)

The shredded zucchini does a wonderful job giving this loaf moisture..and you don’t taste the zucchini at all. You can see beautiful flecks of green though!

IMG 7463 3   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

It’s a very dense loaf, but not in a bad way! Whole grain spelt flour tends to make dense breads, but I just love the nutty flavour of spelt so I don’t mind. The walnuts, streusel, and raisins add just the right amount of sweetness and crunch.

IMG 7480   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

We’ve been enjoying this not-too-sweet loaf for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. If you like your baked goods sweet you might want to add another 1/4 cup of sugar, but we thought it was just perfect for a healthy snack.

It’s wonderful spread with Earth Balance, nut butter and jam…or just enjoyed plain!

IMG 7481   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

On that note, I think I may need some endorphin-inducing carbs to cheer me up…

IMG 7483 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 14, 2011

Aw I’m sure your mom misses you even more right now! Did you always feel this way about your mom, or did you go through those teenage years at some point (which is what I’m going through right now!)?

I’ve never tried fat free zuchinni baking before, but I’ve gotta try this trick out :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Oh yes we certainly went through those teenage years! My mom and I started to become good friends in my early twenties! :)

Marina June 14, 2011

Love this recipe! I bookmarke it, and I can’t wait to make it some time soon. The ingredients are absolutely awesome!

The Healthy Hipster June 14, 2011

Gorgeous photos and such an inventive & delicious (not to mention healthified!) recipe as always Angela! Can’t wait to try it out.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 14, 2011

Good call sending your mom off with a slice. This looks MUCH better than airplane snacks. :)

I made Zucchini “Bread” Oatmeal yesterday! Reading your recipe for “real” bread, I realize I totally should have added nutmeg too. It was awesome though!

Kristen June 14, 2011

Oh wow, that oatmeal sounds amazing – if you wouldn’t mind posting the recipe, that’d be awesome! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 14, 2011
Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 14, 2011

Awww I’m glad you guys had a great visit, and sorry it had to end in tears! Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to get together again soon. I bet she was super impressed by all of the DIY you and Eric have been doing! You two ladies look gorgeous!! As does this loaf by the way… ;)

JenATX June 14, 2011

love zucchini breads & muffins! I took a batch to work last year and no one at them :( my feelings were a little hurt but at least that meant more for me! haha

Lisa Fine June 14, 2011

I hate having to say goodbye to my family, even though I know I’ll speak to them soon.

I like the idea of baking something that’s oil-free, and then topping it with a bit of nut butter for some healthy fats.

char @ char on a mission June 14, 2011

I am SOLD – I feel very much in a baking mood today, so along with your strawberry oat bars, I am so making this (pretty sure I have *most* of the ingredients). It’s always sad to say goodbye to family and I hope you get to see her soon enough – I think it was a good idea to load her up on your good foods ;) I love seeing the two wall colours in the picture of you and your mom. They look so nice next to each other (just like you and your mom, naturally!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Thank you! Enjoy the loaf :)

Liz @ Blog is the New Black June 14, 2011

Bookmarked! :)

Shanna, Like Banana June 14, 2011

I hear streusel and I am sold!

I’m a Mama’s girl too ;)

Rhona June 14, 2011

Looks amazing! Oil free goods are really good and so tasty. Most times I am shocked that the taste is so amazing sans oil. I look forward to making this one day soon.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 14, 2011

I can’t imagine not living near my parents… they are so important to me and I’d find it so difficult! Will you be visiting them this summer?

This loaf looks so good! My sister is moving into her first home on July 1 so I’ll make her this as a house warming treat :)

Sarah June 14, 2011

Is it possible to add a squished banana and reduce some of the sugar?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

Im not sure because the sugar is dry and a banana would be considered a ‘wet’ ingredient. It is usually suggested to maintain the same ratio of wet to dry ingredients. The loaf is already very moist and dense and I would be afraid that a banana might make it too ‘heavy’. Perhaps you could reduce some of the zucchini to maybe 3/4 cup?

chloe @ 321delish June 14, 2011

I have been on a bread kick recently. This is going to be next on the list!

Tichina June 14, 2011

Awee I bet your Mom is missing you a whole bunch too!! I know the feeling too my Mom and I are more like sisters since I’ve left home and I always anticipate our visits while I’m living in my home during University. How we get by? Tons and tons of phone calls, it makes a world of difference :) And like everything, a little bit of chocolate helps too!

erin @ WELL in L.A. June 14, 2011

Making this with my mom when I see her in two months (yay!! it’s been since Christmas time last year!)! I hope you and your mom chat via Skype – that helps my mom & I at least “see” each other. Your photos are so bright and beautiful on this post. Beautiful mother & daughter alike! Cheers & have a wonderful day!

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 14, 2011

That definitely looks yummier than plane food – and hear hear for cheering up with carbs :)

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 14, 2011

This looks so good! I love your recipes. I’m waiting for the avocado on my counter to ripen so I can make your avocado pasta again.

Emily June 14, 2011

Looks good, I’m bookmarking this for when our zucchinis start grow in like crazy!!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 14, 2011

I’ve been looking for a great zucchini bread recipe.. and I think I might have just found it! Thanks so much Angela!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 14, 2011

This looks fantastic with the melting butter (or Earth balance? ;) ) on it!

Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 14, 2011

Lovelovelove breads- thanks for the recipe Angela :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com June 14, 2011

Great recipe! I like to sub in canned pumpkin or sweet potato puree for the oil. Makes baked goods so rich and moist. Nice trick with the non dairy milk!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 14, 2011

Awwh so sweet!! I’m glad you guys had a great visit!
This sounds so good and I love the simplicity of the recipe!! :)

Might have to give this a go!!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots June 14, 2011

Yum! That looks so hearty and moist! :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 14, 2011

Yum :D That looks awesome. Love zucchini bread!

jordanarae June 14, 2011

Growing up our garden had more zucchinis than we could handle. A family recipe that’s been handed down over the years is chocolate zucchini cake. We’d whip up cakes to hand out as gifts – we had that much excess zucchini. Some people get weirded out but it is the moistest? cake I’ve ever had. I’ve found it posted online but it’s just not the same as my great-grandma’s!

I’m going to have to try out the loaf!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

wow that sounds fantastic!!

Ashley June 14, 2011

I love zucchini bread! I also like to add a bit of dark chocolate chips to it as well:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

You and Eric would be BFF’s! hehe ;)

Moni'sMeals June 14, 2011

Aww, hang in there with your mom leaving… I am exactly the same way with mine.

On another note:
Now this recipe rocks! I think it is getting made in my kitchen today or tomorrow. :)

Carol June 14, 2011

Your bread looks delish:) Can’t wait til I have a surplus of zucchini to use! Glad you got to spend time with your mom. I always get very emotional whenever I leave my family or they leave me. I only get to see my family a few times a year. My hubby and live about 5 hours from both of our parents.

Hope you have a great rest of the day!

Jen G. June 14, 2011

Awww… I know what you mean! I live a 5-hr drive from my family, and they all came to visit this weekend (including my sister and 2-year-old niece). Seeing them leave was HARD!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

It is! My sister, BIL, and two nephews are coming for a week in july and I know i’ll be super sad when they leave!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 14, 2011

Aw, I hate good-byes!! Hopefully you’ll have another visit in the very near future.

Your loaf looks great – I was expecting to see applesauce or something like that in lieu of the oil! I can’t wait to give it a try; especially once zucchinis come into season.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

I think the zucchini might replace the applesauce in this oil free bread because it has so much moisture!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather June 14, 2011

I love how zucchini adds so much moisture to baked goods. Whenever I can add veggies in I do! Hope the carbs comfort you ;)

kate June 14, 2011

Aww im sure your mom loves having you send her off with snacks when she leaves. I am the same way I hate leaving my parents we always have so much fun together!

Emily June 14, 2011

My ex-boyfriend’s mom used to make me vegan chocolate zucchini bread, it was so good!

Abby June 14, 2011

Glad you and your mom got to spend some quality time together! The loaf looks incredible! I am allergic to walnuts so I will have to sub out with a different nut if I make this! I’m sure it will still work out fine though! :) I love baking with zucchini!

Julie @ Shining From Within June 14, 2011

Mmmm.. This looks so moist. I love dense bread. I’d love to make French toast using this bread!

Gen June 14, 2011

I hate goodbyes!!!!
That bread looks seriously amazing, though! I think I just figured out what to do with the zucchini that I just bought! :D

Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl June 14, 2011

That looks so delicious! You always come up with great breakfast alternatives. :)

carrie June 14, 2011

I can totally relate to the sad send off. We moved from Alabama to Maine last year and even though I’m a mom to three I still miss my mom and dad so much!!! They are flying in today and I know there will be lots of tears when they leave :(

P.S. I’m loving the looks of this zucchini bread!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011