Vegan Carrot Spice Muffins for Grandpa

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 11, 2011

IMG_4250

To say that I had baking indecision yesterday would be an understatement! Whenever I am time-crunched and baking for someone special, my mind just draws a blank and nothing seems right.

I looked over my recipes page for a quick + easy recipe that was calling my name…

Snickerdoodles? Too Christmas-y.

Pumpkin Gingerbread with Buttercream? Too much time.

No Bake Date Squares? Too hippy. (joking…well kinda, LOL)

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte? Too rich for afternoon.

Pumpkin Pie Brownie Cupcakes? Too Thanksgiving-y.

Too indecisive.

So I let Eric choose!

He has this uncanny ability to simplify things that I like to complicate. Eric thought about it for a mere millisecond and then said quite definitively, ‘Carrot Muffins.’

That wasn’t a question.

IMG_4257-2

My eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.

…and then I remembered how much I hate grating carrots. Whenever I grate carrots I always seem to nearly grate my finger off. It’s a dangerous tool!

Somehow, I sweet talked Eric into grating the carrots for me and I kept all my fingers intact. It was a win-win situation.

IMG_6507_thumb

As I mentioned above, the original recipe by Susan called for Soy Yogurt, but since I don’t buy soy yogurt often, I thought that the cream from the top of a coconut milk can would work. It resulted in a super moist muffin and I was really happy with the outcome. I do think the cream made the batter extra thick though, which is why I had to add 3 tbsp more water. You can use yogurt if you wish…whatever floats your boat!

IMG_4217

The muffins are quite easy to make- especially if you can find someone to grate for you! ;)

IMG_4255

After about 18 minutes in the oven, they were perfect!

IMG_4211

Modifications I made to the original recipe are as follows:

1) I used stone-ground Kamut flour. I love Kamut flour because it bakes up just like all-purpose…light and fluffy! It is not as dense as spelt flour, but is still high in protein.

2) I used maple syrup instead of agave nectar and I added 2 tbsp more maple syrup because it is not as sweet as agave.

3) I used coconut cream as a sub for soy yogurt. It resulted in a very flavourful and moist muffin!

4) My batter was very thick as a result of the cream, so I added 3 tbsp more water.

5) I added 1/3 cup chopped and toasted walnuts for a great crunch and healthy fats.

6) I used 1/2 cup soaked raisins. I soaked them in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes, drained, and then added them in. This results in plump raisins!

Despite all these changes, they turned out FANTASTIC!!

IMG_4286

Everyone enjoyed them as a light afternoon snack. Eric and I loved them so much, I made another batch last night for the work week.

This morning, I enjoyed a bowl of Carrot Cake vegan Overnight Oats. I have tried making carrot cake VOO before and I wasn’t impressed with the taste, but I finally got this bowl right!

IMG_4274

IMG_4278

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

IMG_4289

Thanks for your kind words about my Grandpa yesterday. For those of you who missed it, my Grandpa was diagnosed with Leukemia at the end of 2010. He has been undergoing chemo treatments to help fight the cancer and send it into remission. As you can imagine, he has good days and tough days, but he is a fighter. The doctor is hopeful that he will be in remission by the end of the year if things go well.

My Grandpa, Diane, and I yesterday:

IMG_0164

My Grandpa is such an inspiration to me. He remains VERY positive, upbeat, active, and lively despite his illness. He is an active church member, always spending time with his family, and he continues to enjoy physical work at their cottage as the weather gets warmer.

IMG_0144

I had no idea that the sap is CLEAR like water when it comes out of the maple tree. Only when boiled down does it turn into a beautiful dark amber colour.

IMG_0155 IMG_0165

Grandpa was talking about the past few months and he said a couple things that I will never forget.

‘When I was really sick with pneumonia at the beginning of January, everything blacked out for a while and I had this vivid dream. There were people walking down this road with candles in their hand, all going in the same direction. I heard a voice that said to me, “You can chose to die or you can chose to live…the choice is up to you.” and then I saw my Granddaughter and she said to me, “Papa, don’t go.” and I chose to live.’

Then he said with great pride, I’m still LIVING!’

Yes, he is. :)

Moni'sMeals April 11, 2011 at 10:31 am

what a treat for your Grandpa. Plus how you made breakfast out of it too, YUM! Feels like a spring meal too.

How touching Angela…your Grandpa’s story, how could anyone forget that. What a hero he is. So pure and real.

Maria Schade April 13, 2011 at 7:26 pm

OOOOOOOOH SOOO GOOOOOD! (OSG!)
Made the muffins for my friends at work, they lurved them! (and these people are not healthy eaters for the most part, some are morbidly unhealthy so I’ve been trying to get them to eat better using your recipes…)

I used the 3/4 tsp of baking soda, worked great! I also used spelt flour instead of kamut, because you can’t get it on Guam easily and I didn’t have white whole wheat, just whole wheat…but they turned out delish!

I hope your Grandfather is doing even better today. My own was in surgery today. He was my whole world when I was a little girl.

Thanks!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 11, 2011 at 10:32 am

My husband LOVES carrot muffins. I must make these for him.

Your grandpa sounds like such a pillar of strength!!

Jackie April 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

Wow…I teared up. I lost my father going on 2 years ago, thank you for sharing that story. It gives me great affirmation that my Dad is somewhere beautiful.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I’m sorry about your Father Jackie…Im glad you found comfort in the story. Im sure he is smiling down on you!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

Aww your grandpa is so cute! It sounds like he’s got a fantastic attitude and I’m sure he loved the muffins. I’m not surprised that Eric picked those ones – you mentioned before that he is a big carrot lover like me!!

Julie @ Shining From Within April 11, 2011 at 10:34 am

Sooo making these muffins today and that VOO tomorrow yuum. Perfect for Easter :) that’s so awesome that they have maple syrup like that!!! Im addicted to pure maple syrup ;) your grandpa is a fighter!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

mmm that muffin batter looks so thick, rich and delicious!

Yum! :)

Shanna, Like Banana April 11, 2011 at 10:36 am

Snickerdoodles = too Christmasy? Blasphemy! ;)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

Those muffins look terrific! I need to start experimenting with these different flours.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

i think you misspelt the title- it should said Vegan Carrot Spice Muffins for Carrie ;)

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 10:41 am

Hope your grandpa continues to get better!

Krystina (Organically Me) April 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Those bowls are SO adorable! Where are they from?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Thanks! Crate and Barrel :) They are ice cream bowls ++ spoons :) I fell in love…

Erin April 11, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wow – your grandpa’s story gave me goosebumps! Sending healthy vibes his way :)

Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 11, 2011 at 10:43 am

Your grandpa is amazing. He has such a positive attitude! I’m sure you’re carrot muffins made him feel better!

I would have had someone grate carrots too! I cut myself just shaving my legs, so my luck with kitchen knives is even worse :-)

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons April 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

Go Grandpa Go!!!!! My dad had lymphoma and when he went into remission it was such an awesome amazing thing! Good luck to your grandpa! I bet he can beat it!!!! <3

ps: you had me at carrot spice. omg yum!!!!!!!! one of my favorites!

Grace April 11, 2011 at 10:45 am

That is SO sweet you made these for your grandpa. That’s such a sweet story about your grandpa. I didn’t know sap was CLEAR! How cool :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 11, 2011 at 10:47 am

The muffins look wonderful! What a nice treat for your awesome grandpa!

Cait's Plate April 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

I REALLY wish we were next door neighbors so that I could just pop by each morning for a taste of all these delicious things you cook up :)

As always, those look amazing (and Grandpa is too adorable!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Me too! :)

Nikki T April 11, 2011 at 10:51 am

Your Grandpa sounds a lot like how my Grandpa used to be- a real fighter! He fought his cancer for 3 years after doctors told him he only had about 6 months left…
Good attitude and keeping active in life is the key!
I used to make him cornmeal muffins (he was celiac), but your muffins look yummy!!

Heather (heathers dish) April 11, 2011 at 10:52 am

I love that you baked in his honor…I do the same thing for my papa who passed his love of bakin on to me!

Carly April 11, 2011 at 10:52 am

Your Grandpa sounds like such a wonderful man!
I plan on making these muffins ASAP! Hopefully my man will be kind enough to grate my carrots.

Alaina April 11, 2011 at 10:54 am

That is wonderful about your grandpa’s attitude. I can see how much of an inspiration he is to you. :-)

And those carrot cake muffins look so good!!

Stace April 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

Beautiful post made me tear up at work.

Mama Pea April 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

Awww, way to make me cry on a Monday morning. I believe with all my heart that what you grandpa saw was heaven. And so are those muffins. I have a grater attachment for my Kitchenaid. Seriously, Ang…you NEEEEED it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I have one but I can’t put the damn thing together…I convinced myself Im MISSING a part…hahaha!!!!!

kelli April 11, 2011 at 10:57 am

wow, beautiful story your grandpa shared. thanks for sharing it with us!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 11, 2011 at 11:00 am

“Somehow, I sweet talked Eric into grating the carrots for me and I kept all my fingers intact.” Love it! I always try to get Brian to do my grating… he’s so much faster ;)

“They tapped a bunch of maple trees last weekend at their cottage and were boiling down some maple syrup when we arrived yesterday!!” – That is SO COOL. Do you get to get your hands on any of that family made syrup ??

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

It wasnt ready yet! Boooo ;)

Mary (sisters running the kitchen) April 11, 2011 at 11:02 am

these sound so delicious!!!!! a healthy alternative to the regular muffin! yum!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 11, 2011 at 11:03 am

Not going to lie…there are tears…that may or may not have welled up in my eyes.

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

I totally teared up reading that quote from your Grandpa — what a special man!

I love the muffins Angela — and I also almost grate my finger off when I grate carrots! It is a dangerous job for sure.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 11, 2011 at 11:04 am

your grandpa is amazing :) and i cant find kamut flour anywhere! ah!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure April 11, 2011 at 11:09 am

Not only do those muffins look amazing (I’ll be making some for sure) I love the reason you made them :+) Grandpas are the best.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 11, 2011 at 11:12 am

Those look like the perfect little treat. Your grandfather is a lucky guy :) with such an amazing attitude.

Ashley April 11, 2011 at 11:12 am

That is such a sweet story. I’m glad your grandpa is getting better!
Those muffins are pure genius!

Amy April 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

Holy smokes those muffins look amazing. I may have to revert to the FFV recipe because of what I have on hand, but I need to make them later!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

im sure it work work out many ways!

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 11:25 am

I hate grating carrots too! Thats what husbands are for :)

Glad your day was great!!! Hope this one is too!!

jenny April 11, 2011 at 11:27 am

That quote from your grandpa made my eyes water. What an inspirational and strong man! He really proves we all have a choice in how we react to situations. Thank you so much for sharing!

LauraJayne April 11, 2011 at 11:33 am

One of my favorite desserts growing up was a lemon merique cake and I always used to zest the lemon so that my mother would make it! Sounds like y’all have a great partnership worked out!

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 11:35 am

Your grandpa seems like an amazing strong person ! Those muffins look amazing im sure he loved them :)

sonia April 11, 2011 at 11:38 am

Great to know about ur grandpa. its really inspiring to live with positivity in crisis…Great muffins… !

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 11, 2011 at 11:52 am

The power of positivity is so inspiring when it comes from someone who is fighting a battle. Good luck to your grandpa—what a wonderful dream!

Today’s recipes look awesome ~ I wonder if I could get my hubby to do the carrot grating?!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’m glad your grandfather is so strong and has such a positive out look. He really is inspirational.
Having you baking him sweet treats surely helps!

Kris | iheartwellness.com April 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Girlllll, I love carrot muffins! Thank you for this amazing recipe :) I think you have a special grandpa and he has one special granddaughter! You two are too cute!

xxoo

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm

What a sweet story, thank you for sharing…

Also you should totally get the shredder attachment for your food processor – makes the job a breeze! (Or just make sure your hubs is around for shreddin!)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Wow… super teary, that’s an awesome story!

Those carrot muffins look great too! I love muffins!! :)

cathyk April 11, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for sharing about your grandpa, angela. What an inspiring gentleman. Your story made me miss my grandpa – he was a lovely person, too. So glad you had family time together.
I avoid carrot recipes because of the grating! Eric is a good sous-chef!!

Lynna April 11, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Those muffins look amazing! Such a great rounded top. It sounds like your Grandpa is doing great and staying very active. I wish I could go out, tap maple trees and boil my own syrup. yum!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen April 11, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Aww, your grandfather sounds amazing…plus, the fact that he makes his own syrup. Epic!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

You are so lucky to have such a wonderful grandpa in your life. And he’s lucky to have you to bake him these muffins! :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Thanks guys! xo

Roz April 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Any husband that grates carrots is a keeper!!!! Your Grandpa sounds like an amazing man. Glad he is doing as well as can be expected!!!! He makes his own syrup?? OOOH….

Cindy Robinson April 11, 2011 at 12:51 pm

What an inspiration. So positive & uplifting, I bet it’s a joy to be around him. I tell my Grandma the same thing, she seems to never let stuff get her too down!

P.S. You could use your food processor to grate your carrots…just do it! Once you discover it is amazing, you will wonder why it took you so long :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 11, 2011 at 1:08 pm

They look delicious!!! I bet your grandpa really enjoyed them :D

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Your grandpa sounds like such an amazing person Angela! He seems strong and courageous–so glad he’s doing better. And that’s crazy! maple syrup from scratch?! never would have imagined.

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers April 11, 2011 at 1:21 pm

First: Those carrot muffins look fabulous. I plan to bake some this week — just need to find someone to grate my carrots. Sounds like a good “Hubby job”.
Second: I loved reading this post about your grandpa cause it brought up many memories about my own grandpa. I miss him so.

Erin @ The Grass Skirt April 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

The end of your post gave me chills! Your grandfather sounds like an incredible person. This really hit home for me because my own grandfather (Poppie) passed away from a rare type of leukemia several years ago. Grandpas are the best. :)

Abby April 11, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Those muffins sounds great! I love your grandpa’s attitude! :)

Gulcan April 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Perhaps, not something related to this post at all but I have seen this on internet: http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/thefamous/natalie-portman-gives-up-veganism/1043

I think I would have agreed with her remarks about being careful during a vegan diet; however I disagree since I follow up your blog and try to implement as much as possible in my new healthy eating lifestyle. I am neither a vegetarian nor vegan but your blog has brought so much fresh and healthy ideas to me. I am now eating much less meat and trying to be careful with dairy products. And oh yes, I haven’t touched coffee for the past 3 weeks yayy! I am very happy that you are there and bringing such light to my life.

Thank you!!!

Baking 'n' Books April 11, 2011 at 1:32 pm

No coffee! Wow! Do you drink tea?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Yes I read that too. Many vegans switch to vegetarian diet or even eat meat during pregnancy. She is right about certain like B12 being crucial to the baby’s health. In my opinion, it is always, always best to put the baby first and if she felt the need to eat some dairy then so be it!

Olya April 12, 2011 at 4:17 am

hi, just curious, what is wrong with drinking coffee?
Angela, I’m very touched with your grandad! I truly with him good health.

Gulcan April 13, 2011 at 1:56 am

I am working and living in a post-conflict region, in where our social life is very much based on eating out and drinking. Drinking macchiato or other sorts of strong coffee is a part of daily life, and sometimes it is something that you cannot avoid especially if you happen to have meetings with local interlocutors on daily basis. Food variety is very much limited, mainly based on meat products, greasy, with little -mostly prickled- vegetables. In addition to my binge/junk-food eating, this life style left me 7-8 additional kilos in the past 3 years. Angela’s blog is helping me to slowly to listen and understand what my body wants. When I read Eric’s success in not drinking pop in the past year, I have decided to limit my bad habits too. I am now hardly drinking pop, trying to find 100% juice at stores or squeeze fresh orange by myself, not drinking coffee* but substituting it with green or fruit teas. Being aware of healthy options has given me more options on what to cook in the past few weeks. I am not restricting anything from myself, but trying to be careful. Doing more sports is my next challenge, let’s see how far I can go..

*Drinking too much coffee in such an environment has given me not only an appetite for coffee (of course, that goes without saying, and not a bad thing) but also stomach ache, fast heart beat and low blood pressure. In my opinion, over-dosed caffeine is not good for health; however I am not a specialist or whatsoever.

Baking 'n' Books April 11, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Angela, can we meet someday? ;)

Your photos are STUNNING. God. You make me a) want to live where your living (seems peaceful) and b) (duh) EAT THE CARROT MUFFINS.

But not just devour them…to savour them. And enjoy food…does that make sense? Coming from someone with past “issues”, binging, etc…that means something to me.

Now – do you ever use Agave? I’ve never really bought into the hype. I’ll stick with my syrup, eh? ;) I guess you don’t do honey because it’s not vegan?

This recipe looks phenomenal. It’s so nice to see recipes that aren’t full of fake substitutes or powders or crazy ingredients. Rather, just real-down-home goodness.

Eric is smart. Carrot muffins rock. Almost, almost, as much as banana…almost..

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:56 pm

thanks!
I rarely use agave because it is so controversial regarding health issues. ANd no, I dont use honey in my diet.

Amy April 11, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Great post.

I smiled when I saw how sophisticated your maple syrup maker was.

Look at the one my cousin made:

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm

that is a force to be reckoned with!!!! lol. Whatever works right!

Katie April 11, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I notice so many of your recipes call for the cream from the top of the coconut milk can. What do you use the rest of it for??

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:54 pm

in smoothies :)

Andrea April 11, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Those carrot muffins look great, if I made those for my Grandpa he would love me forever.. (he already does so it would be.. double-forever?) Ha anyways, maybe that can be his next goodie. Your Grandpa sounds like a real fighter :)

I also have an un-related question. Do you keep your raw buckwheat groats or chia seeds in the refrigerator/freezer? I’ve heard that helps them keep longer, but wasn’t sure if they’d be fine at room temp.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I keep them on the counter…Ive never thought to put them in the fridge/freezer!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 11, 2011 at 2:22 pm

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa, but I am glad to hear the he is still in high spirits! Also, those carrot muffins look fabulous. I made carrot cake VOO, and they were perfectly fine, though nothing to write home about. I’ll have to try this combination!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 11, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Totally bawling after reading the last paragraph. Oh wow, Angela. I am sooo touched and moved by your Grandpa’s strength, both mental and physical, and also a testament to you and the kind of person you are that your grandpa feels that way about you…truly you both are just special, wonderful people :)

boiling down some maple syrup = not every day that I see that in California. As in, never. How cool!

The muffins look wonderful. And I love the reasons for the rule-outs on the other recipes, i.e. ‘too hippy’. Just move to Cali. Hippy is everywhere! haha!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 11, 2011 at 2:32 pm

You’re Carrot Cake Oats are my all-time fav – I’m SO excited to try the overnight version (and the muffins, obv).

Such a cool story about your grandpa. My great grandmother had a similar experience. Those stories always give my chills. Glad he’s still with you all – sounds like a spunky guy. :)

Oh! and how neat to see the maple syrup-making process! I bet that is the best tasting syrup ever.

chelsea April 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm

These muffins look so good that I rushed to the kitchen to see if I have all the ingredients. Missing carrots…..dang! I love that you are sharing what is going on with your grandpa. I lost my grandma suddenly to an aneurysm last fall, she was extremely healthy and went to the gym everyday to swim and lift weights. Its hard when grandparents get sick or you loose one. I only have one grandparent left now, and he is very sick.

Sarah April 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Angela, your grandfather sounds like one amazing man.

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 11, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Those look so delicious. I love carrot cake, but it’s usually SO sweet. These look like the perfect alternative. Great photos, Angela!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy April 11, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I’ve been loving all things carrot lately, so I can’t wait to try these!! :)

JenATX April 11, 2011 at 3:06 pm

your grandpa’s thoughts remind me of that disco song that goes “Ah, ah, ah, ah, stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive!” glad to hear he has a great view on life :)

Namaste Gurl April 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Mmmm, my two favorite foods…. coconut and carrot. I will so be making these when I find some time ;)

Salina April 11, 2011 at 3:45 pm

That’s so beautiful! It made me tear up… Your Grandpa really is an inspiration. You look a lot like him too, you have the same smile. I hope he feels better, and more important heals quickly.

ps. I love those cute little pink and yellow bowels!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Aww, so sweet of Eric. ;) These do look incredible, so I’m sure he agree the grating was worth it!

And what a beautiful note about your Grandpa – sounds like a strong, positive man, and I wish him the best in his fight.

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I’m definitely making these muffins…so perfect for Easter!! Your grandpa is an inspiration and a fighter :)

Stacie April 11, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Oh, how touching! Glad to hear your g-pa is doing well and enjoyed your muffins (who wouldn’t) :) You are genius really—if I tried to make those substitutions, dog food would be created! Our dog would love it, but no one else would….ba ha ha. Have a good week!

Kristy H April 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Those muffins look great, i wonder how they would taste with your spiced buttercream frosting and candied walnuts ontop? Your grandpa sounds like he is a fighter and a very strong and positive man, all the best.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 11, 2011 at 4:40 pm

oh what a very sweet treat for who sounds like a very sweet influence in your life :)

(what runs) Lori April 11, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Your grandpa does sound like an inspiration! Sending positive energy and good thoughts his way (and yours!). And these muffins, I’m sure, helped him- in thought and in nutrition! They look delicious.

…he makes his own maple syrup?! That’s just awesome.

Krista April 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I purchased a food processor a few months ago and can’t imagine grating carrots (or any other vegetable) by hand now!!! I’m talking perfect carrot shredding in 3 SECONDS flat…with my fingers still in place. =)

Gail April 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I hope your grandpa is feeling and getting better.

Try a food processor for grating carrots. Most of them come with an attachment that grates – makes it alot easier! Also, carrots are great for your grandpa. Full of antioxidants and beta-carotene – both will help with his treatment!

Alexa @ Simple Eats April 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I wish your grandfather all the best and my thoughts are with him for good health! Those carrot cake muffins looks delicious, especially with homemade maple syrup drizzled on top!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm

I once grated part of my finger AND fingernail when grating carrots. I wish I had an Eric to grate mine for me now haha.

Your grandpa sounds like such a figher! That’s awesome to hear that things are looking up with his treatment. He’ll be in my thoughts. :)

Lauren April 11, 2011 at 6:52 pm

That is SOOOO sweet! Thanks for sharing.

Kath April 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Since discovering your website a few weeks ago, I’ve tried so many recipes (thank you!) and my husband and I are drinking Green Monsters every day. BUT I didn’t think anything could convince me to try anything other than my fave breakfast of natural muesli, yoghurt, berries and nuts…until I saw this!! I can’t wait to try making a VOO now! Best wishes to your Grandpa, what an inspiring person.

pawsitivelife April 11, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I was showing my bf your recipe pictures hinting we should make them this weekend and asked him what he thought and his comment was “she has a great camera”…men. Not interested in food, only tech

Lindsey April 21, 2011 at 10:37 am

Ha ha, I just read my original comment and realized how many mistakes there were! When I’m on a role and writting from my phone that tends to happen :)

Update; started my vegan adventure this week and am feeling absolutely fantastic! Down three pounds without doing anything but eating a healthful diet from the earth! So awesome! I’ve already got more energy, and, well, let’s just say the bathroom has seen more of me lately, Ha Ha!

Thanks again, loved the daily glow you posted today :)

[email protected] April 11, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Those muffins look amazing! Sounds like your Grandpa is a pretty amazing guy :-)

[email protected] Caramel Cookie April 11, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Aw, your grandpa sounds like such a sweet guy!

And those muffins look wonderful too!

Maria April 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Love the muffins!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food April 11, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I teared up reading about your grandpa! What a strong man and what an inspiration! I wish him nothing but the best! :-)

Sabina April 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

As others have mentioned, use a food processor for grating! Food is grated in mere seconds and there’s no worry of grating a finger. :-)

Katie April 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

hi angela! Those look delish, i just bought a big bad of spelt flour and now I know exaclty what I am going to do with it!

Jaclyn T April 11, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I’m glad your Grandpa is doing well. I am actually starting to tear up from that quote. Positive thoughts are going out to you and your family.

Audrey April 11, 2011 at 8:44 pm

These muffins sound so delicious and wholesome! Have you ever tried to shred the carrots in your food processor? It makes it go a lot faster.

What a beautiful example your grandpa is. Reading that almost brought tears to my eyes. I only hope I can be that strong and courageous. My prayers are with him for a speedy recovery!

Cara April 11, 2011 at 8:53 pm

i used to be terrified of the box grater too, but i started wearing a microplane cut resistant glove and now i’m a fearless grater… love the blog

kaila @ healthy helper! April 11, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Your grandpa is just adorable! My grandpa passed away 4 years ago and it’s definitely left a hole in my life…..grandpa’s are really something special! I am glad your grandpa’s prognoses is positive…..that is such great news!

Wow two recipe for the price of one! And carrot muffins?! Yum! One of my fave type of muffins…..but I have to agree about grating carrots! It gets pretty dangerous sometimes lol!

laura April 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Those muffins look scrumptious!
I love the quote from your gpa, so uplifting :)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 11, 2011 at 10:39 pm

I love muffins especially carrot muffins. These look super tasty
Wow I think the maple syrup is so cool. Will you be able to eat it?
That’s a beautiful dream your grandpa had. Thanks for sharing

Char April 11, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Amazing post!! Your Grandpa is for sure an inspiration and I’m glad he chose to live!! I bet he loved the carrot muffins!! Thank you for breaking down what you did differently to the recipe – I really enjoy the explanations!

Stephanie April 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Aw, that little bit at the end got me a little teary, not gonna lie. I really hope your grandpa gets better. Just wondering, have you heard of Kris Carr? She’s really inspiring and she’s got a few books out, two of which are on cancer (or as she says, canSer).
Btw, those muffins look amazing. Carrot muffins are da bomb. ;)

Lynn April 12, 2011 at 1:32 am

You sure look alot like your grandpa!

Hannah April 12, 2011 at 2:22 am

Ooh! I recently made vegan carrot, cinnamon, and sunflower seed muffins, and have two left in the freezer. I plan to use those to make your carrot cake overnight oats, and then make your carrot muffin recipe once I’ve eaten all my own :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 12, 2011 at 3:43 am

These look lovely. I’m sure your granpa loved them!

[email protected] April 12, 2011 at 7:13 am

The muffins look delicious and so healthy.
I was especially inspired by the story about choosing life from your grandfather.
Thank you so much for sharing it.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 12, 2011 at 8:18 am

That Kamut flour sounds AWESOME!!! I am absolutely sure your Grandpa loved these! I know I do! :D

Kelly April 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

Wow…that story about your grandpa gave me chills.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite April 12, 2011 at 8:50 am

I just teared up a bit! Thanks for sharing such a sweet story.

I love your idea of adding the muffins to your overnight oats! What a great way to take it up a notch!

tweal April 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

Oh so much to love in this post! I am the same with my husband, asking him things when I can’t decide. For years, it’s been ‘something cute’ when I ask what I should wear. And for food – ‘something good’. I always figure it out ;)

Awesome time with your grandpa! And so cool he makes his own maple syrup. I love fresh maple sap before it becomes syrup.

Amber K April 12, 2011 at 9:09 am

I had no idea that maple syrup came out clear! Glad you had a great time with your Grandpa :)

I hate grating carrots too, that’s why I am so thankfull for my food processor! The task is done in about five seconds. Yes!!

Carissa April 12, 2011 at 12:26 pm

We used to make maple syrup when I was little but we didn’t have that fancy equipment. Just a stove. I’m happy that your Grandpa is still able to make it!

Lindsey April 13, 2011 at 12:16 am

Hi Angela,

First time commenter ;) I just have to tell you how amazing and inspirational you and your blog. Are. I foud your blog by chance several weeks ago and have gone back and read mist of your previus posts. As a carnivore, I have lost 50 pounds over the last year with weight watchers ion my own. Though I’ve been pleased with my loss, I’ve really wanted to hone in on more healthy eating, and not JUST watching quanity. I found your blog and have already learned so much, but the most interesting thing is that I’m going to give veganism a shot. I find myself becoming less and less interested in meat, and Im not a huge dairy fan either. Anyway, all that said, I just adore that everythig you are putting in your body is beneficial and from the earth. I could go on and on but I just waned too let you know that you have inspired me in many ways. Thank you!

Oh quick question; can you use steel cut oats for VOO?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011 at 9:11 am

Thanks for your kind comments! :)
I dont think you can use steel cut as they dont get soft and gel up.

Tammy April 14, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Wow – tapping Maple trees for syrup is one of the things I have always dreamed of… I would love to see a blog post of the process – I’m sure it would be amazing!

Ann April 14, 2011 at 6:01 pm

I wish your Grandpa all the best in his treatment. My boyfriend was diagnosed in January with testicular cancer and luckily only needed surgery which they were very quick to perform, but it was still a difficult time for him. Having a wonderful support system in family such as you will certainly keep him in good spirits and help him through. Take care of yourself as well, it’s hard on everyone when a family member has cancer.

I also didn’t know maple syrup was clear when it came out of the tree! Mm, love the real stuff!

Michelle @ Taste As You Go April 17, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I hate grating carrots, too. I have a fear of the box grater, so it takes me forever to grate one carrot. (The majority of the time is spent convincing myself that I won’t lose a finger!)

Cherianne April 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Was searching for a vegan muffin recipe and stumbled across your website/blog……wow! Am going to try the carrot spice muffins today and can’t wait to try some of your other recipes – am always looking for new recipes and yours look awesome!!! Thanks for sharing them!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thank you, I hope you enjoy the recipes & blog :)

Crystal July 22, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m a long time vegan and always love new recipes. I made your carrot muffins, delicious, thank you.

Geerte September 9, 2012 at 8:38 am

These are soooo good! I’m just having my first bite and they’re amazing, moist and light, thanks so much Angela!

Sarah Gail December 11, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Delicious! I kind of combined both the yogurt/coconut milk options by using coconut-flavored almond yogurt.

Nadine December 12, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I just made the muffins and subbed in dried cranberries instead of raisins and they are delightful!

Sonya February 24, 2013 at 11:31 am

Just made these for breaky and they were delish! Ran out of maple syrop after about 2 tbsp, so used honey to finish off-which worked out great. Merci bcp!

Laurie Nichols March 17, 2013 at 10:31 am

I just made these and they are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing.

Vicki Karschner July 9, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Thank you! I just made the Carrot Raisin Muffins and they are amazing! The only substitution was Almond Milk for the Coconut Milk and removed the few TBS. of water as the batter was perfect! Who could of thought without oil and eggs you could get such a moist muffin!? I also used Agave Syrup in place of the maple syrup and they are not too sweet! Just perfect!!

Leah August 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Just made these muffins! they smell and taste delicious! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Cassandra October 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

These muffins were AMAZING. I used white whole wheat flour, and instead of water i used the watery part of the coconut milk. I also omitted the natural sugar and added a touch more maple syrup and, because I had an open can of it in my fridge, a 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree, and some golden raisins to finish it off. I left out the nuts because I just had dental work and didn’t want to have to chew them LOL. Angela, these were the best muffins I have ever made. I brought them to work and everyone LOVED them. I made them in a mini muffin tin so people were popping them in their mouths and reaching for more. THank you so much! I love your website and cook something from it almost every day :)

Daisy November 17, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I don’t have the kamut flour…can I use all purpose flour? If so what are the proportions?

Also have chappati flour but not sure how to substitute

These look so yummy

Alicia November 19, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Wow, this recipe was absolutely amazing. I didn’t have the apple sauce so I used pumpkin puree instead, and holy cow, probably the best carrot muffins I’ve ever had! (and it’s my first time making them!) Thank you so much for the recipe!

MC December 15, 2013 at 10:16 am

These were delicious! The coconut milk was a wonderful idea for an addition!

Kelsey December 18, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I added sweetened coconut to the top of the muffin when it was almost finished. (about 2-3 mins left). It toasted to make an awesome topping.

Ana Paula B February 3, 2014 at 12:17 am

I just made the Vegan Carrot Muffins and they are amazing. I was wondering if you could guide me to find these muffins’ Nutritional Value.

Heddi March 9, 2014 at 11:02 am

Made these muffins today with a few substitutions, and they were great! Thanks for sharing this easy recipe. Will definitely make them again.

Jodie May 26, 2014 at 10:26 pm

I made a cake with this rather than muffins. My batter was extremely thick!! I had to add more liquid (coconut milk because I had it). I didn’t think it would bake properly but it did well enough. Not as moist as you mention it being though. I’ll probably fiddle with the recipe and make again.

Haley June 19, 2014 at 7:21 pm

I used blueberry flavored soy yogurt and changed the ginger to 1 tsp and the cloves to 1/4 tsp and the muffins seem to have more of a kick! I made them the way recipe dictated first and then altered the yogurt because I ran out of plain.

Renee June 26, 2014 at 9:37 am

These muffins were lovely! Fluffy and light and very tasty. I was glad to see you adapted the recipe to kamut flour, as it happened to be the only type of flour I had! I will be making this again and again… and I hear you about grating the carrots! But worth it!

Wendy September 14, 2014 at 8:12 pm

These are my new favourite muffins! I’ve made them twice and have gotten so many compliments from friends and family. I used dark buckwheat flour with 1 tsp guar gum along with about 1 tbsp each if ground flax and whole chia seeds. I also added mashed banana for some added moisture (gluten free can be dry) and they turned out great! Thank you for such wonderful healthy recipes!

Bethany November 8, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I am eating these hot from the oven as I type. OMG!!! Even my non-vegan hubby loves them! Because I can’t leave anything alone, I used oil in place of the apple sauce, squeezed an orange in place of the water, and used 1 1/2 cup of carrot and pineapple pulp from a juice I made earlier in the day. Thank you!! So so good!!

Gabrielle February 1, 2015 at 2:22 pm

My toddler LOVED these (and what a great way to sneak in a veggie serving!)
MORE please

Sarah March 22, 2017 at 9:12 am

Hey! The recipe sounds delicious- do they freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 24, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Hey Sarah, I find that muffins do tend to freeze well for a couple weeks or so. Just be sure to cool them completely before wrapping them up. I tend to put them in freezer safe bags and suck out all the air with a straw.

Hayley April 8, 2017 at 11:27 pm

I was in the mood for baking this morning but all I had was carrots and pantry items! These muffins are delicious and fluffy. My boyfriend and I have eaten one each already!

I did make a few adjustments to suit what I had on hand (coconut oil instead of applesauce, whole wheat flour instead of kamut and I halved the sugar) but thankfully, it’s a forgiving and flexible recipe. Yum!

Angela Liddon April 10, 2017 at 10:49 am

So glad the swaps worked out and that you’re enjoying the muffins, Hayley!

Christina April 27, 2017 at 4:08 pm

How many days in advance can you make these muffins and still have them be tasty and fresh? I want to make them for my son’s first birthday, and would love to get them made two days in advance. Thanks!

Angela Liddon May 3, 2017 at 8:37 am

Hey Christina, I think you can safely make these a couple days in advance and still have them be nice and fresh day-of. Simply store them in an airtight container or zip bag in your fridge, being sure to cool them completely beforehand. I wouldn’t make them any more than 2 days in advance though. Happy birthday to your little guy!

Robin February 7, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Thank you for this wonderful muffin recipe. I made a few substitutions with the wet ingredients because I didn’t have everything and they still turned out amazing! My 4 yr old is inhaling one as we speak. I love your site & appreciate your recipes as you have helped me convert to a healthy vegetable based diet as opposed to my previous junk food vegan one. I hope to have the same success in healing my disordered eating as you have. Namaste

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2018 at 7:39 am

Thank you so much for your kind note Robin…I’m so happy to be a part of your journey. :)