The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

IMG 4147 2   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

I love cereal and I often have a bowl for a snack, but I never find that it does a good job filling me up. Because of this I rarely have cereal for breakfast, assuming that I am going to be hungry in an hour.

Every morning Eric eats a gigantic bowl of Nature’s Path Spelt cereal, chia seeds, and raisins that holds him over for 4-5 hours. I have cereal envy! If I can make it happen, I just may have to design my own custom cereal.

So, this morning I set on a mission to do justice to the cereal bowl…

My mission was to create a bowl of cereal that had the following elements:

• High in protein (over 25 grams)
  • High in fibre (over 15 grams)
  • Good dose of Omega healthy fats
  • Antioxidants
  • Fruit
  • Super Crunchy texture
  • Light sweetness and an array of flavours

Is it possible? And would it hold me over all morning long?

IMG 4167   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

The first thing I did was make a list of the foods that I wanted to include:

• Nature’s Path Spelt Cereal (love this cereal because it’s 100% spelt flour and just 4 grams sugar per serving)
  • Raw Buckwheat Groats- For the crunch, protein/fibre + other nutrients
  • Eden Organic Soy Milk- I’ve been using this lately for breakfast because it has 12 grams protein per cup! It is also organic, no additives, and uses non-GMO beans. With that said it doesn’t taste great because I got the unsweetened variety.
  • Vega Choc-o-lot Protein Powder- I had the fun idea of sprinkling some of my favourite protein powder onto the cereal for an extra vitamin and protein boost.
  • Fruit- For light sweetness, texture, and nutrients (Today I used strawberries, kiwi, and raisins)
  • Homemade granola- for the insane crunch!
  • Sweetened Shredded Coconut- just a pinch on top for sweetness, aroma, and flavour
  • Chia seeds- Antioxidants, protein, fibre, healthy fats, calcium, iron, etc.

IMG 4162   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

IMG 4132   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

The chocolate protein powder was fun! I’ve never had it on cereal before but I loved the chocolaty and sweet flavour it brought to this bowl.

IMG 4136   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

IMG 4147   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

I also loved the combination of chia seeds, protein powder, soy milk, spelt flakes, and buckwheat. The chia seeds created a doughy VOO mixture at the bottom of the bowl that I loved. This was probably one of the most satisfying bowls of cereal I have had in a while. It was SO flavourful and had so many amazing textures!

IMG 4165   The Cereal Challenge: High Protein & High Fibre Cereal

But how long will it hold me over? I have my doubts, but time will tell. I’ll be sure to report my findings. :)

Are you a cereal fan?

Julie @ Shining From Within April 8, 2011

Mmmmm I LOVE cereal but I agree it never holds me over! This bowl looks so so good. Holy protein!!!

Carissa April 8, 2011

I have the same problem! I always add a sliced banana to my cereal bowl before I put anything else in, and that helps sweeten the bowl and add some bulk.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

mm i love banana too!

Baking 'n' Books April 8, 2011

Yes, the banana will definitely fill you up. I have one every morning. I think more out of habit than anything…

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 8, 2011

That looks soooo pretty!! I am a huge cereal fan, but like you, I find regular cereal doesn’t hold me over for that long! My favourite brand is probably Nature’s Path – I LOVE their Heritage O’s (yes, even though they’re very plain – but they have great nutrition!) and I often mix them with kamut puffed cereal (for volume) and Nature’s Path Ancient Grains Granola with Almonds (for a bit more staying power). Your recipe sounds delicious Ange! I tried buckwheat groats this week in the same way I’d cook oatmeal, but I think I’ll add them raw to my next creation for a bit of extra crunch. Have a wonderful Friday!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 8, 2011

that is one serious bowl of cereal! i love it but usually only eat it as a snack or when i’m craving it- never fills me up much either unless i add almonds, berries, and sometimes yogurt

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 8, 2011

what a fantastic idea!

I love how you started with the basics of what you wanted to include and then went from there! :) delish and nutrish ;)

Peggy @ freshnutrition.net April 8, 2011

Same problem- love cereal, hungry again in an hour, thanks for the recipe, will have to give it a try!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman April 8, 2011

That looks like a great bowl of cereal. Now I want kiwi in mine!

Richelle April 8, 2011

I usually eat cereal for snacks too, because I find it’s not filling either. This bowl on the other hand looks great!

JenATX April 8, 2011

LOVE cereal! Mmmmm cold soy milk & crunchy crunchy cereal. My favorite part of the morning is making my cereal & eat it while watching Good Morning America :) I do a mix of brown rice crispies + cheerios & add raisins & almonds/pecans/walnuts on top. I wish I could find a way though to keep the toppings on the surface rather than sinking to the bottom. I don’t like having spoonfuls of just raisins at the end!
I hope your bowl holds you over & you embrace the goodness of cereal haha

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 8, 2011

These are requirements for our cereal too! Can’t wait to hear how this holds you over.

Steph April 8, 2011

I have exactly the same problem and it drives me crazy. I could probably eat five bowls of cereal if I let myself and still be hungry about an hour later. That’s why I pick stick-to-your-ribs breakfasts like oat bran and protein GMS. I’m excited to follow this experiment!

Caitlyn (The Spoonful of Life) April 8, 2011

I actually find that cereal holds me over better than oatmeal. Whatever works, right?! When it comes to cereal, I like crunchy, lightly sweet, and nutty. Chocolate never hurts as well :-) I will be trying your cereal combo out for snack today!!

Where does one find Choc-a-Lot? I looked at Earth Fare and couldn’t find it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

I bought mine at Bulk Barn :) cant find it many places…

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

it’s also at whole foods I think!

Lauren April 8, 2011

I have very similar issues with cereal. It lasts me maybe 1 hour and then I’m hungry again. When I do have it for breakfast, I eat it first with some fruit on top and then have other stuff with it. This looks great though, it would be great to get a fast filling breakfast all in one bowl like this!

cailen April 8, 2011

I love cereal and really like kashi golean crunch! But the past few mornings I have been enjoying overnight oats.

1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 soy milk
1/2 mashed banana
1 tsp honey
Cinnamon

Mix and put in fridge overnight. Then heat in the morning and add a Tbsp of peanut butter! Yummy!

It fills me for 4 hours…much longer than cereal….
tgif!

bitt of raw April 8, 2011

I hate to be a pest on the topic but I am worried others will have a problem if you do not. Raw buckwheat is meant to be sprouted, not eaten as is. It might give someone a serious bellyache.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

That’s interesting! I read that it was fine to eat it raw without sprouting…I soak it overnight and then drain and rinse in the morning. Why would you not eat it without sprouting? I personally haven’t had any issues. :)

bitt of raw April 8, 2011

Ok, soaking is sprouting. I didn’t see that you did that. Some people still get tummyaches from it, even soaked, so I guess the disclaimer still holds. Thanks for being so responsive. Love your site!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

Oh that is good to know! I added a note in the recipe warning people that it could cause GI distress. :) Thanks for your help!

Lisa Fine [lisasfoods] April 8, 2011

I have the same problem with cereal, and tend to eat it as an afternoon snack sometimes, rather than having it for breakfast.

The trouble is that sometimes I really crave a bowl of cold cereal in the mornings, especially in warmer weather, or if I’m especially thirsty! I find that by having one and a half servings, plus lots of nuts and seeds and fruit and dried fruit help me stay full until lunch.

Kaylee April 8, 2011

I’ll often make my own cereal combination, too! Homemade granola (with barley flakes, rolled oats, flax, sesame, chia, sunflower, pumpkin seeds, pecans, raisins, and dates, and a little bit of raw honey), and then mix that with puffed kamut and fruit-sweetened millet cereal from Nature’s Path and top it with eden organic unsweetened. It’s the only time a cereal has ever lasted me for more than an hour–actually 5!! Bon chance à toi that yours lasts long, too! I’m sure it will!
Needless to say, I will be trying this cereal you posted! I love the idea of adding in fresh fruit.
Do the buckwheat groats have to be raw in order to sprinkle on top? (toasted are too hard, perhaps?)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

Yup toasted works too!

Mimi April 8, 2011

I’m definitely a cereal fan. But, like you, I usually just have it for a snack.

This looks fantastic, though! I’m even shocked by how much protein and fiber it packs!

Lizzie April 8, 2011

I am the same way with cold cereal – just does not work for me past 9.30am! But it’s great for a snack. I really love Kashi Heart to Heart (it replaced Cheerios for me) and a health version of Raisin Bran is also pretty yum. Your cereal looks so . . . cheerful and summery!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 8, 2011

I have the same issues with cereal– in fact, I had a bowl for breakfast this morning, and my stomach is now GRRRROWLING!!! I’ll be excited to hear about whether or not this holds you over!

Liza Jane April 8, 2011

I usually eat a bowl of Kashi with almond milk and I’m fine for the morning. As long as something has some fiber in it I tend to stay full for a while. If I eat a bagel that’s another story. My stomach will start growling within the hour.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 8, 2011

Great idea to make your own cereal! My husband eats cereal daily and would love that concept.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 8, 2011

That cereal looks AMAZING! I love the doughy stuff at the bottom you were talking about. I’ll have to give this a try. yum! I’m a huge cereal fan. I love soaking chia seeds in my cereal milk overnight and then adding in my homemade granola and apples. It does the trick every time!

Stefanie April 8, 2011

That bowl of cereal looks so indulgent but healthy. I wish cereal held me over longer then an hour. I end up just snacking on the dry cereal instead of making a bowl of it. :)

Cait's Plate April 8, 2011

Ugh I’m with you! My sister can eat a LOW fiber cereal for breakfast and be filled up! It just does such a sucky job of holding me over so I always opt for it for a snack as well. I can’t wait to see if you discover a mix that actually does the trick!!

Lana April 8, 2011

I love love love cereal. I often find it more sustaining as a snack than breakfast. I love Grapenuts…there are 7 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein and 5 grams of sugar per serving (I Just looked it up, lol). I typically by the off-brand which has less sugar and add fruit. I definitely recommend Grapenuts!

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 8, 2011

I love cereal but I also can eat 5 bowls and not feel satisfied, so I haven’t bought any in a long long time!

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 8, 2011

Well at least it looks tasty!

I go through phases where I will eat an entire box of cereal in a few days and then other times it takes a month to get through one box!

Rebecca April 8, 2011

Wow! That is one power bowl of nutrition goodness! I love cereal but always have the same problem with being hungry shortly after. I can’t wait to try this mix – it looks amazing! I’m going to eat it with MANGO! mmm and maybe some banana and coconut. :)

Haleigh April 8, 2011

Cereal is one of my favorite foods, but I can never eat it for breakfast. I just need a more filling breakfast, I am known to have cereal for lunch or dinner on many occasions though ;) I make sure to eat my cereal with yogurt to help keep me full.

Jackie @ Baking Charms April 8, 2011

I love cereal! I think it’s great that you played around with ingredients to make it more filling.

My only problem with cereal is that it doesn’t take long enough for me to eat it, so I end up going for seconds… or thirds ;)

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 8, 2011

Amazing stats on the cereal. It looks super yummy too. I really want to try making my own flaked type cereal. I’ve made some cereal like grape nuts but not as hard. It’s so good :)

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment April 8, 2011

I LOVE cereal — I usually use good ol’ fashioned Cheerios in a snack baggie as an emergency snack at work, for when I’m craving crunchy and in danger of reaching for a bag of chips! I definitely go through phases though; I went through a period of eating cereal twice a day as a meal (using similar mixes to the one you made today to amp up the nutrients), and then didn’t eat a single bite of cereal for three months! I know you go through similar “food phases,” but I was wondering the other day how long it usually takes you to break out of them…. I had the best intentions of going back to a powerhouse baby arugala salad I used to LOVE, bought all the ingredients when I had a craving, and I’m 99% sure they’ve degraded to a pile of green mush in my fridge because suddenly, the thought turned my stomach. Any tips on getting BACK to a food you’ve burned out on, or do you just say “screw it!” and come up with some new delicious treat?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

I usually go through phases! If I get sick of it I try something new and then I usually find myself craving it again after a couple weeks.

Mandy@One Hungry Mess April 8, 2011

I love cereal with texture, you know the kind most people refer to as cardboard. I could eat 10 bowls of any other cereal and still not feel full. Coffee is another must for me, without it, my breakfast doesn’t seem as filling.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 8, 2011

You are the only person in the world would could come up with a gourmet cereal! :) It looks incredible. I’ll be interested to see if it keeps you full – seems promising!

LauraJayne April 8, 2011

I used to love cereal – but I abandoned it when I realized that I always ate WAY more than a serving and was eating an unhealthy amount of calories for breakfast. I miss it though – I’m thinking that it might be time to re-integrate it into my diet, but add ingredients so a “serving size” fills me up and meets my nutritional needs!

Maria April 8, 2011

Can’t wait to hear the verdict :-) That’s my problem with cereal too. Oatmeal on the other hand, holds me over pretty good in the morning. The cereal does look tasty, I never thought of putting kiwi in the mix.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living April 8, 2011

I’m the same way when it comes to cereal – cold cereal alone just doesn’t hold me over for very long, but I love eating it! I’m a serial (haha) cereal mixer, meaning I always include at least 2 kinds of cereal + toppings. I love Kashi Cinnamon Harvest and Autumn Wheat both for their flavor and nutritional stats. I fill my bowl about halfway with one of them, and then top it with homemade granola, banana slices (or other fresh fruit), wheat germ or ground flaxseeds, and a bit of dried fruit and nuts. Unsweetened vanilla almond milk seals the deal, and my hunger is usually satiated for about 4 hours or so.

Your bowl is beautiful! I love the red strawberries & green kiwis.

Now I’m craving cereal ;).

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

I love your term ‘serial cereal mixer’ :)

Anna Crouch April 8, 2011

I LOVE cereal! And I actually do, all the time, exactly what you’ve done here! I typically have about 1 serving of cereal, with blackberries, blueberries, a chopped strawberry or 2, about 1/3 of a sliced banana, and sometimes I even slice some grapes or grapefruit. Then I top it with a tbl of protein powder, cinnamon and/or cocoa powder, either chia seeds or hemp seeds and about a cup’s worth of almond milk. It’s sooo yummy! The protein powder makes the mix very creamy! And the cereal adds a wonderful crunch, while the fruit gives it such a pop of flavor! The sweet fruit mixed with the creamy almond milk is the perfect combo! This generally tides me over for a good 3 hours or so. I find it to be the perfect breakfast for me. However, I generally eat breakfast at about 8-9 and my lunch break is between 12-1, so it works out perfect! Using the soy milk for added protein is an awesome idea. That’s the ONLY thing I don’t necessarily like about almond milk (the lack of protein). I may try some soy milk. But…I don’t want to just choose any brand. May have to do my research.

I hope it worked out for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2011

I agree almond milk is so low in protein. I do love and prefer its flavour though!

Lauren April 8, 2011

Mmm…My new cereal combo that I have been eating for the past few weeks is equal parts raw oats and plain puffed millet with ground flax, cinnamon, almond milk and a scoop of almond butter. This is the only way I like oats, since cooked oats make me feel sick, and I’m not a fan of overnight oats. Keeps me satisfied for 4 hours!

Page 1 of 3123»