Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

IMG 33241   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

This is a tale of two recipes, both are blue, but one is better than the other!

Up first:

Grumpy Monster Breakfast Blues Sandwich

Inspired by: Old Man Winter

Serving size: Depends on how many people you live with

Ingredients:

• ~1 foot of fresh snow (pee free)
  • 1 Fall on tailbone, or other body part
  • 2 cups of ice (or bag of frozen peas)
  • A dash of Ibuprofen
  • 1 or 2 yoga DVDs (with extra cheeze)

Directions: Unfortunately this recipe needs a bit of tweaking! Do not try this at home. ;)

img 4552   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

I’m trying my best to tame the grumpy-grumps this morning and stay POSITIVE!

My tailbone isn’t in a ton of pain, just nagging discomfort, but if it keeps up I will have to visit my doctor. I also had to pause my half training, which is a bummer seeing as I’m in week 12 of my training and I’ve been working so hard all Winter.

But, such is life! What can ya do but roll with the punches and make the best of things.

IMG 3340   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

And by make the best of things, I clearly mean whole grain blueberry breakfast muffins to inject a little cheer into our stormy day! wlEmoticon sun3   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins Sometimes homemade food just makes everything better, doesn’t it?

These are the perfect not-too-sweet breakfast muffin, bursting with juicy blueberries to jumpstart your morning.

IMG 3313   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

When I saw this blueberry muffin recipe on Eggless Cooking the other day, I squealed with excitement. Good looking vegan recipes can do that to a girl.

It also helps that the recipe is thrown together in just minutes flat…

IMG 3280   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

I tried half of my mini muffins with a streusel topping and half without the topping and I strongly, strongly suggest making the streusel topping. It gave these muffins a little sweet kick! The streusel recipe above is already doubled so it should cover all of your muffins if you make it.

IMG 3283   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

After baking for about 17 minutes, the result was a mini muffin just oozing with big juicy blueberries!

IMG 3319   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

We just loved these muffins. They are fairly low in sugar so they won’t give you a sugar crash in the morning which is always nice.

I was really excited for today’s breakfast too…

IMG 3363 2   Mini Whole Wheat Blueberry Breakfast Muffins

One word for this breakfast: BLISS.

I’ve got some bakery work to tend to, followed by a dentist appointment, and some (final!) tax stuff. I’m getting all my business stuff organized this week and it hurts so good. Sometimes Spring cleaning isn’t just for the house.

Toodles :)

Siobhan March 25, 2011

I LOVE this recipe! especially love blueberries :) yum yum yum
My friends are always somehow surprised by these delicious vegan recipes. thank you so much for keeping them coming!!! :)

Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor for your tailbone pain? a natural and practical method of healthcare. Must be something going on that needs attending to.. just a thought..

Andrea March 25, 2011

I made these muffins last night, and they are super delicious! Thanks for the recipe :) Even my breakfast-hating boyfriend took 2 of these for breakfast this morning, and loved them!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 25, 2011

These look fantastic! I love your idea of crumbling the muffin into the oats…genius!

Nikki T March 25, 2011

Made these muffins last night…they are the BEST muffins I’ve ever had!!!
The husband loved them too! And I had to send a couple home with a friend of ours who was over last night…
Looks like I will have to whip up another batch this weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2011

thats great! Thanks Nikki :)

Katie G. March 25, 2011

These.Look.Amazing!! I will definitely have to try! I am new to trying out the vegan thing and LOVE all of your recipes! The Mac and Cheese is on my dinner plans list for next week!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 25, 2011

Those are so cute! Mini foods are just so much fun. I’ve been obsessed with mini foods lately. First mini lentil loafs, then mini pb mocha muffins now I must make these!

Hope your tailbone gets better soon!

Cara @ eat.pray.run March 25, 2011

I am searching for a treat to make this weekend and these look PERFECT! Vegan AND will carry well into next week for breakfast! Thanks for sharing :)

Hilary March 25, 2011

YUMMY! And those muffins are too cute!

Celine Liv March 26, 2011

Hope you feel better!!!
These muffins look delicious! I am going to to try the recipe today! So excited!
Quick question – can i make them w/o the vinegar? Like, what does vinegar do? Do you add the milk/vinegar mix to oil, syrup and extracts then combine it with the dry ingredients?
OK i just read my question and it sounds stupid but i am rather new to baking :)) Thanks Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

Hey Celine,

The vinegar + non dairy milk acts as a ‘buttermilk’ vegan substitute. I found this info online that may help you:

“You can make your own buttermilk using lemon juice or vinegar:

For each cup required: place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add in soy milk to equal 1 cup. Stir and let stand for 10 minutes. Rice milk does not work as well because of the lower protein content.

If you are thinking about substituting buttermilk for regular milk in a recipe or a prepared mix, proceed carefully, because the extra acid in the buttermilk will throw off the chemistry of the baking soda or baking powder. For each cup of buttermilk you add to a recipe that you are converting, you need to reduce the baking powder and add in baking soda. If the recipe uses enough baking powder, reduce it by 2 teaspoons and add in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for each cup of buttermilk. If the recipe uses less than 2 tsp baking powder, then reduce it by 1 teaspoon and add in 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda for each cup of buttermilk.” from: http://www.goodbaker.com/qa10.html

Hannah March 26, 2011

Oh gosh, I just made not-too-sweet vegan carrot muffins, and wish I hadn’t because I want these instead :P

nada March 27, 2011

love your receipies and always try them (soo yummmy). i tried the muffins but they didnt look as your muffins in the pic. i used the exact same ingridients but my muffins didnt ‘puff’, they tasted a bit bitter, and were very moist in the middle. what went wrong??!! any idea?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

Hey nada!

Sorry that your muffins didnt turn out great! Can I ask if you used frozen blueberries? I’m wondering if they do not produce the same results.

Nada March 27, 2011

Yeah they were frozen

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

Ok, thanks for letting me know. The original recipe said frozen worked too, but I will update the recipe to just using fresh berries.

Lindsey March 27, 2011

Oh my gosh I’m such a nerd… I made these muffins this morning and completely forgot to put the blueberries in them! I didn’t realize until I took them out of the oven. I don’t think baking in the morning is a good idea for me. However, the muffins are still really good! Thanks for the recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

HAHA!!!! Oh my gosh that is so funny! Glad they still tasted good ;)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 27, 2011

Awwwweee! Those are so cute! I love blueberry muffins! I can’t wait to crumble one of these on my oats! :D

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy March 27, 2011

ANgela – I made these tonight and they were FABULOUS! I used frozen blueberries but let them defrost for maybe an hour on the counter. I also was nearly out of maple syrup and subbed some of it with brown sugar. They came out deliciously!! This is a definite recipe that I’ll make again and again. Great for taking to a brunch or when company comes to visit!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

Thank you Im happy to hear they were enjoyed!

Myra March 28, 2011

i stumbled upon this recipe over the weekend, and have already made two batches! They’re so tasty and moist! For my second batch, I also threw in some frozen cranberries! Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

Hey Myra, Thanks for your feedback. Frozen cranberries sounds like a great add in!

Frances March 29, 2011

These look amazing! Love anything blueberry!

Ann March 30, 2011

I can’t wait to try these muffins! I love traditional muffins, but they really aren’t all that different from cupcakes and I get hungry about three minutes after eating one. I expect this has a bit more staying power!
And hope you heal soon, winter needs to END!

Crystal May 25, 2012

I make these all the time and I was wondering what I am doing wrong, they taste amazing but they are a little dry. I’m allergic to almonds so I leave the almond extract out but other than that, I follow the recipe completely.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2012

Hey Crystal, hmm maybe my baking time is off in the directions? How long do you bake them for?

Crystal May 25, 2012

I actually do bake them for 10-12 minutes because my oven cooks things a little fast. They arent too dry to eat, just a lil dry going down… Someone told me to add a lil banana purée to get that moistness I’m looking for but I wanted to check with you first.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2012

yea that might be a good idea! I will have to work on the recipe again :)

Amanda May 30, 2012

Just made these this morning. They were delicious and nice looking, too. I loved the whole-wheat with blueberry, the gentle mapley sweetness in the muffin, and the touch of streusel sweetness on top. Thanks!

Linda June 25, 2012

Made the blueberry muffins over the weekend. Really very good muffins and have kept very well. I am a brand new fan and we watch a lot of hockey too :) Hometown team is the Pens :)

marisa August 28, 2012

How many normal size muffins will this make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2012

Probably 11-12 :)

marisa August 28, 2012

Thanks!

Kristan September 10, 2012

I’m looking forward to making these, but I’m a member of Weight Watchers and wondering if I could sub using half applesauce and half evoo for the full 1/4 cup of olive oil?

Alicia November 10, 2012

Hey Angela,

I baked these muffins for a youth homeless shelter yesterday! They turned out wonderful and I thought you would be happy to hear how your baking is positively influencing the world around you :) Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! Looking forward to many more.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012

That’s great to hear Alicia! Thanks for letting me know.

Paulina December 24, 2012

Making those today! YUMMM

Paulina December 24, 2012

These are delish!

Leslie January 14, 2013

I just wanted to say that I found your website while looking for a recipe like this one. I just made these, and they are amazing! My bf loved them, and he is a sugar fiend (hence the sugar free attempts). I’m definitely going to make them again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

Hi Leslie, I’m so glad to hear this! Thank you for trying them out

Rebecca May 16, 2013

Made these today for the second time. I could eat this forever. This makes the best batter ever! I literally licked the bowl!

Rebecca May 16, 2013

The muffins!! Haha The muffins is what I made! SOOO easy too!

Maggie @ Sunnyside Up Smile June 13, 2013

Hey Angela! These are another job well done. I know they’re from over two years ago but I was craving blueberry muffins (& had some requests from the fam) and I know I can always trust your recipes :) I went ahead and used almond milk because I love its creamy texture and rich flavor so much. For the flax seed I used Trader Joe’s Ground Flax Seed with Blueberries. Also, instead of doing a combination of whole wheat and all-purpose, I just used white whole wheat to make my life easier ;) I doubled the amount of cinnamon because I’m a cinnamon girl and I used 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce instead of the olive oil. All of my substitutions worked out perfectly! I love the texture of the muffins too….so spongy!

tinymousebaker September 23, 2013

I recently made these muffins and they came out too spongy! What do you think went wrong? I should probably add that I am new at baking…maybe that’s what it is! LOL

Trisha September 24, 2013

Hi! Love your website! I made the same blueberry muffins from the eggless cooking website. I find that my muffins are too spongy! What can I do differently next time? Thanks!

Chamsa December 31, 2013

Going to a New Year’s Day brunch tomorrow and wanted to bring something vegan. I found this recipe and it was perfect, especially since I had all the ingredients. I only had frozen blueberries and was a little worried based on your comment that they might be too wet. So, I thawed them on the counter for a few hours before and the muffins turned out great. I made them exactly as is, using soy milk, and baked them for 17 minutes. They turned out moist, not too wet, and very fluffy. The streusel topping is a key component giving the muffins *some* sweetness. I made 29 mini muffins.

Austin January 1, 2014

I made a double batch of these for a New Year’s Day brunch today and they turned out fabulously! I used coconut milk for the non-dairy milk, brown sugar instead of turbinado for the streusel and skipped the almond extract because I didn’t have any on hand. I also made regular sized muffins instead of minis and baked them for 22 mins. Perfection!

Jade January 19, 2014

Loved the recipe :) However, I substituted coconut oil for the olive oil. Of course you may take this with a grain of salt 8-D – there is always new/conflicting information being shared – but according to information I have found, olive oil is not heat stable and its compound changes when heated to high temperatures becoming potentially carcinogenic, and therefore it’s better to use a more heat stable oil for sautéing, baking etc., such as coconut, grapeseed oils, canola oil etc.. I was first exposed to this info in Kim Bardouin’s Skinny Bitch cookbook, as well as Alicia Silverstone’s Kind Diet. Thanks for taking the time to share so many delicious recipes – its definitely nice to find healthy, delicious, dependable recipes (that impress even the most hard-core carnivore) here on your website:)

Alicia February 6, 2014

I only have regular sized muffin pans. What adjustments should I make to ensure that they turn out okay? Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to try it :)

Ayshan June 18, 2014

I made these today for my family and I, there are no words to describe these. They were literally gone in just 20 minutes. Thank you for this delicious recipe ^_^

P.S. – I’ll be making more of these tomorrow