Peppermint Patty Green Monster

IMG_2704-2-4

Back in our University days, we would often line up at Irish Pubs to drink green beer on St. Patty’s Day, all decked out in green St. Patty’s Day paraphernalia and faces decorated with four leaf clovers. There would be line-ups at the pubs by 10am on St. Patty’s Day; all the students were eager to get their fix of Green Beer and a day of skipped classes!

Yesterday, I thought I would remake the green beer, Green Monster style, all without a hangover by 3pm! And if you are going out to celebrate on Thursday you can start your day on the right foot, giving you some green power that would make even the Irish green with envy.

IMG_2710-2

Did you just hear that?

It was the sound of my Irish relatives laughing at me while they drink their Guinness. They’re just jealous.

IMG_2704-7

I loved this GM…very minty and fresh!

IMG_2715-2

In other news, this morning marked my very first Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait of 2011.

IMG_2742

If you are new to the blog, you may not know about these VOO Parfaits that I started making last Spring. You can see a bunch of them on my recipes page here. Today I made Strawberry Banana Soft Serve and layered it with carob Vegan Overnight Oats.

IMG_2722

Delish!

IMG_2735

But COLD. Very, very cold. I froze while eating this (it was –6C when I got up this morning) and I needed a lot of green tea afterwards. I can’t wait until I am enjoying these on the deck this summer!

Updates:

– My apologies for the blog down time yesterday. Dreamhost had a site-wide outage yesterday morning and my blog was down for about 3 hours.

– I’m also thinking about doing a Japan Relief Fundraiser, auctioning off a bunch of Glo Bars in a raffle. Would you guys be interested in that? I have been looking and looking for a website in Canada where I can create a donation page, but so far no such luck. If anyone knows of how I can do it, I would love your tips!

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 15, 2011

Now that is my kind of green monster!

2 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 15, 2011

PERFECT for St. Patty’s day!!! And I bet it tastes so refreshing too!

3 kate@ahealthypassion March 15, 2011

Love the idea of a st pattys day green monster, such a healthy alternative to typical green beer haha :) If only I was drinking it on the beach..

4 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey March 15, 2011

I’m drinking a regular ‘ol GM right now, and was just thinking what a pretty St. Patrick’s Day color it was!

~

5 Sarah D March 15, 2011

Holding a raffle is such a great idea! I would definitely participate.

The parfait looks delicious- it hasn’t been warm enough for me to brave one this spring, but I can’t wait for the summer!

6 Jensine Crandall March 15, 2011

Thanks for the “peel before freezing” comment. I made my first green monster last week, but had to do without the banana because I froze it with the peel on! Duh!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2011

haha ive so been there

8 JT March 15, 2011

Frozen banana with a peel on?? Have no fear! I freeze all my nanners with the peel on and then when come time for some green monster or soft serve I just throw it in my sink with a smidgeon of hot water…thaws just enough to get the peel off and have a still frozen banana :)

9 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 15, 2011

Been there done that! :P

10 Baking 'n' Books March 15, 2011

Really? Good tip. I freeze rotten bananas a lot for baking…I have a love affair with banana breads…or muffins. Or cookies. Well, you get the idea.

11 Chelsea March 15, 2011

I usually freeze my bananas with the peel on too and I just cut it off with a knife lenthwise, which usually results in it peeling like a normal banana.

12 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa March 15, 2011

Love that idea for green monsters! I also can’t wait until it warms up a bit to have a VOO parfait every day!

13 Allison @ Food For Healing March 15, 2011

nice green monster idea! should be MORE green though. :P
i love overnight oats, seems like such a common thing in the blog world.

14 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 15, 2011

Oooh man I haven’t had a greeen monster in WAY too long…like a whole WEEK?! How have I let this happen?! :P I seriously need to make that as soon as poss!!

And your parfaits look SO pretty!! Another thing I have to try soon! :D

15 Carly March 15, 2011

Mmmm that GM looks deelish! Still cold here, but now that there is no snow on the ground, I refuse to wear socks any longer! Open toed shoe season begins today.

16 Gretchen @ Honey, I Shrunk the Gretchen! March 15, 2011

A healthy version of McDonald’s incredibly unhealthy Shamrock Shake (not sure if they have those in the Great White North though.) I love it! Can’t wait to make this at home!!

17 Lauren March 15, 2011

That green monster looks delicious and very festive! I will be trying it in the spirit of the holiday. A fundraiser for Japan is a GREAT idea, I think you should definitely do it!

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 15, 2011

LOVE the peppermint patty GM!!!! So cute! I’m not a beer drinker AT ALL, so I’d rather drink these any day. Great photos Ange!

19 KP January 15, 2016

What about instead of a bit of peppermint extract you added a small bit of peppermint schnapps? would that work? or would it be gross? Regardless, it looks super good!

20 Amy March 15, 2011

Line ups at Molly Blooms? :)

21 Bronwyn March 15, 2011

Oh St Patty’s Day! Good times, good times. That parfait looks yummy and delicious. And I love the smoothie colours.

22 Lesley Lifting Life March 15, 2011

Yum!! Those both look so beautiful, and so festive :D

23 Lily's Health Pad March 15, 2011

Is today St. Patty’s Day?? I’m so out of the loop! This monster is genius and perfect for the holiday!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2011

It’s Thursday :)

25 KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness March 15, 2011

Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream is one of my favs so that Peppermint Patty Green Monster sounds delicious! :)

26 my little celebration March 15, 2011

Your breakfast looked de-LISH! So beautiful!

27 Anna March 15, 2011

I practically swooned when you talked about enjoying the strawberry/carob VOO outisde in the summer. Not only does that parfait look incredible, but I’m so ready for the warm weather now. Can’t wait to do the exact same thing!

28 Shanna, Like Banana March 15, 2011

This is like a healthy version of McDonalds Shamrock Shake. Nice job Angela!

29 Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 15, 2011

That strawberry banana parfait looks gorgeous! We used to go all out drinking on St. Patty’s Day, but that green monster is more my speed these days:-)

30 Heather (heathers dish) March 15, 2011

Yum! This GM is such a pretty color…perfect pick-me-up :)

31 Jenny March 15, 2011

everything keeps getting better and better! Both the VOO and GM LOOK AMAZING. I wish I was home right now to make both of those!

32 Gen March 15, 2011

That green monster looks amazing! Will have to make this soon!

33 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 15, 2011

Wow, your photos are always so perfect! This looks divine!

34 Zestful Lou March 15, 2011

Darn…i was really hoping you put beer in that green monster

35 Michelle @ HER March 15, 2011

I can’t wait to try this peppermint patty green monster! What a great idea for St. Patrick’s Day!

36 Suziee March 15, 2011

I love the idea of putting mint in the smoothies! Must try!!

37 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle March 15, 2011

I am going to have to make both of those recipes!!! They look amazing!!!

38 Amanda (Eating Up) March 15, 2011

I need to get a blender. And a food processor.

39 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 15, 2011

Perfect for St patty’s day! The chocolate on top is a must have too.

40 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com March 15, 2011

Love the festive GM smoothie! The parfait looks great too! Gorgeous!

41 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 15, 2011

This looks delicious — and I’m definitely going to make one!

I think raising money is a great idea!

42 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 15, 2011

Great festive pictures of your green monster! I’m not a mint person, but I have to tell you that I’ll be whipping up one of your parfaits in the very near future!

I think your raffle is a great idea!

43 Julie (A Case of the Runs) March 15, 2011

Yay! I use Crowdrise for my Japan funds, but that’s just for donations. I’m fundraising quickly this week for my marathon this Sudnay.

44 Lauren March 15, 2011

So festive & sounds great! I’ve added peppermint extract to green monsters before, but I have to be careful not to add TOO much because it’s strong. The auction sounds like a great way to raise money.

45 Charlie March 15, 2011

That green monster sounds incredible & you made me crave some vegan overnight oats :P.

46 Katie March 15, 2011

Its like McDonalds’ Shamrock Shakes!! Love it. Love it. Love it.

That parfait is too pretty to eat.

47 Carlee March 15, 2011

I never thought to make a peppermint smoothie. I will be trying that out tomorrow morning for sure. Yum! Mint and chocolate is my favourite combo.

48 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 15, 2011

I have to be honest, the green monsters always scare me a litle bit…. but this one might be the one to bring me off the bench!!

Yumm!

49 Moni'sMeals March 15, 2011

I am down with this Green Monster, so clever! and that Parfait, wow.

Yes, I wish you luck to raffle some glo bars or a donation page like you said.

50 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 15, 2011

What a beautiful parfait!

51 Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 15, 2011

This looks so much than green beer! All that green dye kinda grosses me out….

52 Sarah March 15, 2011

I actually tried something silimar to this when I started drinking green monsters. I put peppermint extract and chocolate right in the blender…I was looking for a healthy Shamrock Shake. Nummy!

53 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 15, 2011

LOL @ “peel before freezing.” I have made that mistake. Definitely doesn’t work with a peel. Definitely. :)

You could top this with some (vegan) Irish Whipped Cream… and a drizzle of creme de menthe. I don’t think a teensy bit would lead to the college-hangover. Haha!

54 Kate March 15, 2011

AHH!! I need to make this right now! Peppermint patties are me favorite and have always been, except I am allergic to dairy. I will convince myself that one won’t hurt, but it DOES!!!

This is a fabulous healthy way to get my peppermint patty fix! :)

55 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 15, 2011

Oh my goodness, that green monster sounds amazing! I love the peppermint and mint idea, and the chocolate sounds (and looks!) fabulous.

xxoo
Heather

56 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 15, 2011

xxoo
Heather

57 Namaste Gurl March 15, 2011

Mmmm, I love adding avocado to my green monsters for the extra green and healthy fats, plus it adds an amazing creamy texture!

58 Lauren March 15, 2011

This definitely blows a Shamrock Shake from the double arches out of the water! I might have to get some more almond milk just to make this. Beautiful!

59 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 15, 2011

These look SUPER yummy. Can’t wait for the mint to be growing wild in the garden.

60 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 15, 2011

I love this idea! How did the banana work with the mint? Good combo?

61 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 15, 2011

You must have the world’s longest spoon to eat those overnight oats!

62 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey March 15, 2011

I was thinking the same thing!!!
An iced tea spoon, perhaps?

~

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 15, 2011

haha I do. It is a super long spoon (I think from crate and barrel!)

64 Annie March 15, 2011

I will be hitting up McCabe’s on Thursday. Gotta love downtown G and UoG students drunk on the bus at 10am. :)

65 Laura @ Starting Out Fit March 15, 2011

OMG – peppermint + chocolate is totally up my ally!!! :)

66 Sarah @ becoming-sarah March 15, 2011

Yum! I have far too much school work to get my drink on on Thursday so this sounds like the perfect way to celebrate the “holiday.”

67 Clarissa March 15, 2011

That green monster looks delish!

68 Katy @ A Healthy Shot of Life March 15, 2011

I had my first overnight oats of the season this morning also :) I was freeeeeeeeeeezing eating them after a chilly run!

The peppermint & chocolate smoothie looks delish!

69 Amy March 15, 2011

I know I’ve told you this about half a dozen times already, but the effort and skill you put into your photography, food, and posts is so awesome! I bow at your glowy altar.

70 Karly March 15, 2011

Ang, try CanadaHelps for a donation page. :) xoxo

71 Karly March 15, 2011

Ang, try CanadaHelps for a donation page. :) Great idea to give to Japan xoxo

72 never not dreaming March 15, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever had a Green Monster. Interesting. I wonder how you get it so thick looking with so much liquid in it.
Peppermint Patty — Charlie Brown style.

73 Nicole @ Fresh n Fit March 15, 2011

I love anything and everything peppermit! Must. Make. Imediatly!

And that VOO Parfit, OMG! I need to try this too.

74 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 15, 2011

I got totally side tracked with the parfaits. I need to figure out how to make these gluten free. I must. They look SO delicious! Back to the green monster – fabulous idea! I love mint + chocolate combo. You’re so creative!

75 Haleigh March 15, 2011

I just can’t get into cold breakfasts unless it’s pretty warm outside :) Kudos for eating a cold breakfast in -6C! Looks delicious!

76 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 15, 2011

Yess two of my favorites – GMs and St. Pat’s!!

77 Sara March 15, 2011

Hey Angela,
Speaking of Fundraising for Japan, I just came across this fundraiser and immediately thought of you http://www.teaforjapan.com because I first heard about sencha tea from your blog :) I came to comment, and noticed you had mentioned Japan – coincidence?!

78 (what runs) Lori March 15, 2011

Mint is my absolute favorite. Mmm. Love it.

Love all your kitchenware, dishes, glasses, and little spoons. :)

79 Ellie@fitforthesoul March 15, 2011

Hey Ang! well first, that looks delicious. both of them. :) And second, I’ll try to see if or where we can find more info on that stuff for fundraising! It’s been really weighing on me and would like to see what can be done….have a glorious day!

80 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 15, 2011

Dreamhost issues. When I migrated to self hosted Wordpress, I did tons and tons of research. Like…hundreds of hours I think…but I went with Bluehost not Dreamhost. I am so sorry that your site was down. Nothing like a little time, energy, and money lost! Glad it’s back up and all sites go down. And all bloggers have tech crap to deal with. AS IF we need it…but we get it. Joy of joys :)

Your parfait looks amazing…the berry one! So perfectly layered w/ the chias in there!

And also the Green Monster, you are so festive!

And saw your healthy mac n cheeze on FGawker I think? yesterday.. Either there or TS. Nice going :)

81 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 15, 2011

I bet the mint makes this GM doubly refreshing! I think I’ll need to start off the 17th with one of these before I start pounding the green beers. ;)

82 Caroline March 15, 2011

I can’t waaaait to try this. It looks super duper yummy. Is the consistency more smoothie-like or more of a liquid/watery type of drink?

83 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine March 15, 2011

Hi Angela!
That smoothie looks so good; I will definitely be making it :)
I love your raffle idea. I too am trying to put something together to raise money for Japan. I really want to go through Doctor’s Without Borders, and they have a section on their site where you can actually do a fundraising page to raise money. http://www.firstgiving.com/doctorswithoutborders

I just posted on doing a virtual bake sale or something similar…would you be interested in teaming up for something? This is something that is really important to me and I would love to get a group together to make a difference.

Let me know what you think!
Sonia

84 Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 15, 2011

your posts are always so beautiful!!! everything looks delicious. actually saw this post (for the peppermint GM) on blisstree.com! :)

85 kaila@ Healthy Helper blog! March 15, 2011

Omg what a yummy green monster flavor! I love mint! And I always freeze in the morning when I eat overnight oats with banana softserve….brrrr!

86 Ally (oatsandspice) March 15, 2011

Wow cute smoothie cup thingy – I LIKE!

87 Jen March 15, 2011

Mmmm, this sounds so refreshing. All these smoothie recipes are making me wish for summer!

88 Kate @ Walking in the Rain March 15, 2011

I’m so excited to try this. I wonder if I can get a bottle of peppermint extract tonight so I can make this Thursday.

Angela, you just made a healthy version of a Shamrock Shake!! ( I see I’m not the only one bring that up.)

89 Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 15, 2011

how festive! I love celebrating holidays! i MUST get my hands on a green monster on thursday

90 Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 15, 2011

Look at that! I would rather have this than a green beer (I don’t really know what that is actually). This has inspired me to make a green drink on St Pat’s day!

91 lindsey March 15, 2011

Oh, I wish my mint was ready for harvest! I’ll have to get some at the store to make this – my boys would LOVE this!

I’ve been cooking off of your blog all week. So lovely. I’m completely and totally hooked on your VOO parfaits. My husband and kids are hooked on them too. We decide on new flavors at night and assemble in the morning. Tons of healthy fun!

92 Lynna March 15, 2011

Yum! I don’t know why I’ve never added mint to a GM before! I’m going to have to try this, it looks and sounds delicious.

93 Hannah March 16, 2011

Hah, funny, my blog is with Bluehost and it’s down right now! I wish I had a Patty Monster to soothe the irritation…

94 Marit March 16, 2011

I’m in for the fundraiser!
I suggest you get a paypal thing going and then contact save the children, red cross or the salvation army for details of who to contact. i bet the UN has a helpline too.
I feel so sorry for all those children i had to turn the news off last night. i could not watch…
Proves the point tho that nature is stronger than any human and mother nature will reclaim her earth as she pleases.
Not being prophetic here, just pragmatic…

95 brooke March 17, 2011

Oh, totally making this tomorrow! Going to freeze a banana now… :)

96 Marisa March 18, 2011

Hard to decide which looks better – the shake or the oats! Just had to also say I love love love your blog! Keep up the good work.

97 Meaghan March 19, 2011

As it’s girl scouts season, I tried this with thin mints too–Added 2 into the blend and saved 1 for the garnish. Tasty!

98 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy March 29, 2011

Peppermint Patty Green Monster= BEST GREEN SMOOTHIE EVER!! I will be making this VERY often. Thank you Angela!!

99 Vivian Leung April 12, 2011

Finally decided to try my first green monster ever and thought this would be a safe one since it looks like an ice cream milk shake.

new. life. addiction.

Thanks a lot for the great recipe introducing me to the world of green monsters!

Vivian

100 Mary April 11, 2013

This Green Monster is DElicious! I have several types of mint growing in my yard . . . and what I used for the smoothie was chocolate mint. It literally tasted like a milkshake made with mint chocolate chip ice cream! No extract needed!

101 jacquie June 10, 2013

I really liked this!! I used fresh mint from my garden patch, I did not add peppermint extract, glad I didn’t it would probably be too minty

102 adriane December 11, 2013

my daughter is a peppermint girl and being that she is ten this is definitely our favorite saint patty’s drink by far, thank you :)

103 crystal heels April 3, 2014

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The words in your post seem to be running off the screen in Ie.

I’m not sure if this is a format issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I thought I’d post to
let you know. The design look great though! Hope you
get the issue fixed soon. Many thanks

104 archana May 4, 2014

I used McCormick’s Peppermint Extract and only added 2 drops per cup of smoothie and the smoothie tastes slightly bitter. Is this expected? Does anyone else experience the same problem?

105 Natasha September 29, 2014

I made this this afternoon and it was delicious, I am just wondering how many calories are in the serving.

106 Erica September 8, 2015

We loved this!! We preferred the 1/8 tsp peppermint extract and also added a tablespoon of peanut butter. Absolutely amazing!