Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2385   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I have been dying to add butternut squash into my Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe ever since I featured Lou’s Macaroni Un-Cheese recipe in my Recipe Link Love last week. Butternut squash pureed into macaroni and cheese just sounds like a match made in heaven, doesn’t it? It is also a fun way to sneak in another veggie.

IMG 2366   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I also happen to love Butternut Squash, but I always forget to buy it at the grocery store, so this was a great reminder to buy one.

IMG 2321   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I ended up playing around with my original cheese sauce recipe and I made two versions, the second one I will be sharing with you today.

IMG 2323   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first thing you do is peel and chop half of a Butternut Squash. Place it into a bowl and add a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt ‘n pepa!

IMG 2326   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 425F, flipping once half way through baking. You can do this ahead of time if preferred.

IMG 2328   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Buttery squashy deliciousness!

While the squash is roasting, make your ‘cheeze sauce’ in the food processor. I adapted my original recipe quite a bit and I was really happy with the result. This cheeze sauce is also easier to make than the other version which is always nice.

Now, add the roasted squash into the cheeze sauce and process until smooth. It makes about 3.5 cups of sauce.

IMG 2334   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Cook your desired pasta. I used a full bag (~450 grams or 4.5 cups dry pasta) of Brown Rice Penne for the casserole option.

IMG 2329   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Drain the pasta and add in the cheese sauce. Depending on how much sauce you want, you might not use it all. I also added some peas and you can get creative with any kinds of mix-ins you want. Broccoli is also fantastic. You can also add a bit of non-dairy milk if the sauce thickens up too much.

IMG 2337   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

At this point you can enjoy your pasta a couple ways:

1) Heat the mixture in the pot and serve immediately.

2) Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.

For my first trial, I baked it in the oven and for the second trial I enjoyed it heated up straight from the pot without baking. I think I like it straight from the pot because it isn’t as thick and heavy as the casserole.

IMG 2343   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If baking in the oven, add on your breadcrumbs.

IMG 2345   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

After, 20-25 minutes you have a fun B’nut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze that will serve 3-4 people for a main course.

IMG 2360   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If you serve it straight from the pot, the great thing is that you can make only as much as you want. If you only want 1 serving of pasta, you can add as much sauce as you need and then store the rest in the fridge. I’m not sure how long the sauce keeps in the fridge (3-4 days would be my guess), but I’m sure the sauce recipe can also be halved too!

IMG 2365   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2368   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first trial I made came out just OK (I think I used too much lemon juice and cashews), but Eric and I both enjoyed the second trial! You can’t really detect the butternut squash, but it does provide a nice flavour overall and I love getting in another vegetable. For the second trial, I reduced the lemon, cut the cashews in half, and adjusted the rest of my cheeze sauce ingredients.

I encourage you to adjust the sauce to your own taste buds because I find that vegan cheeze sauces are such a ‘personal preference’ kinda thing!

IMG 2371   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The casserole is fun, but I think for simplicity sake, I prefer heating it up in a pot and enjoying it immediately. I’m an instant gratification kinda gal when it comes to pasta.

Reno Talk

Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions on my home reno before and after post. :) A couple readers suggested that the living room would look great with Navy paint and I think that is a lovely idea! Navy and orange go together really nicely. I talked to Eric about it and he loved the idea too. I think we might use Navy walls with white trim for the living room. I have a feeling it might be tough to pick a shade of navy though. If anyone out there has a shade of navy paint they enjoy, I would love your suggestions!

Here are a few pictures I found for inspiration:

433a847f7f16   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[Image Source]

885 06a0004 rebalance   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

Meg Braff navy blue family room   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

We are also considering leaving the crown molding intact and painting over it + shaving the popcorn. We’ll have to see how it goes!

IMG 9783   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Oh, and I fell in love this this colour for our bathroom…it is called Lavender Lace by Para Paint.

para paint lavender lace p5099 24   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

I love girly looking bathrooms.  I haven’t mentioned this paint idea to Eric yet…It might have to be one of those ‘Surprise! Look what I did while you were at work today!’ kinda jobs. ;)

PS- I am going through cupcake withdrawal today.

Ruth March 10, 2011

Your dishes are gorgeous! The color is just so bright and cheery. Where did you get them? All I have (for now) is hand-me-down plain dishes.

This recipe looks delicious too. Now if only I can convince my boyfriend to try it…

Jamie March 10, 2011

I love the idea of navy and orange!
However, don’t go too dark – my room used to be navy and I had huge windows so it worked well with the sun, but if it’s took dark it may be depressing, especially next to your orange!
I vote the second or third navy pictures your posted – the first one I think is too dark.
Just something to think about!

Also, I agree with the lavender colour – it just makes you feel so clean and shiny!

Jenny- About a Girl March 10, 2011

Seriously that dish looks delicious! Yet another Oh She Glows recipe to add to the “Must Try” list! Yum!

Caitie @ The Caitie Experiment March 10, 2011

AHHH!! I’ve been making a pasta-butternut squash casserole that my M-I-L sent me the recipe from for one of her Weight Watchers files, and while it’s one of my favorite dishes (I swapped out all of the gross, plasticky, fat-free ingredients for the real deal, although I kept the whole wheat pasta), I’ve never even thought to include mashed squash in regular mac n cheese! You’re a genius! I wonder how it would be with a little bit of curry powder and cumin added… if I have the ingredients at home, I’ll try to find out!

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy March 10, 2011

I love butternut squash AND mac n’ cheese! Yum!

And I love the navy paint idea!

Lesley Lifting Life March 10, 2011

Yum!! Butternut squash mac n cheese is an amazing idea, I can just imagine how delicious that would have tasted :)

my little celebration March 10, 2011

WOW, I have been seeing alternative Mac n Cheese recipes pop up everywhere and this one definitely seems worth trying! How does the taste match up to regular mac n cheese?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

We do find it very similar as a cross between an alfredo and mac n cheese sauce. My mom likes it better than her own mac and cheese casserole!
It is totally a personal preference thing though. Ive tried many vegan mac and cheeze recipes that I found were off. I think it is good to add the ingredients slowly and keep tasting until you find something that works for you taste buds!
This recipe above is my favourite so far.

Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 10, 2011

I’m making this tonight! I’ve had a butternut squash sitting on my counter for a couple weeks just begging to be used. Here’s my recipe! Thanks!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 10, 2011

I have a great shade of navy on our master walls – I will take pictures and email you it later!

Kelly March 10, 2011

I think the lighter navy blues would be better for the room, depending on the size. Especially, if you live in a climate that has a lot of grey days…it may make you feel hemmed in and claustrophobic, you know? A lighter shade may brighten it up and make it look bigger, too. Dark shades SHRINK a room like nothing else. I love the home renos you have done so far, so I’m sure the living room will look equally fantastic, regardless.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy March 10, 2011

What an amazing way to use butternut squash–I have to try this!

Ashley March 10, 2011

What a great idea! Love the navy for the living room. I would just suggest for going with something on the lighter end of navy, because at night it will seem even darker than you wanted, plus it’ll make the room look smaller the lighter you go.

maria March 10, 2011

Thanks for posting a butternut recipe. I love butternut squash but I’m always at a loss for how to prepare it. BTW, I love your blue baking dish!!! Where is this from?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

thanks! its from epicure selections http://www.epicureselections.com/en/

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 10, 2011

I have all the ingredients, and have been staring at them for a week just wondering how I should begin to put it all together. This looks like the place to start fo’ sho’! Thank you! : )

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) March 10, 2011

This looks amazing. I’ve never tried butternut squash but I’ve heard good things!

I loveee the dishes you used for the mac n cheeze! Such a pretty color! Where did you get them, they are gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Thanks! Blue bowl is from Pier 1 and the blue casserole is from Epicure Selections.

Beach Bum Beauty March 10, 2011

I always roast the butternut squash in it’s skin, it’s then really easy to remove as it seems to fall away from the skin. Saves all the chopping and peeling :-)

P.S. Love the second colour blue – it’s really energising.

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen March 10, 2011

Ohh – this looks awesome!

Richelle March 10, 2011

As soon as I get some nutritional yeast, cashews and a butternut squash I am going to make this recipe. It looks great! I love that you guys go with bold paint colors.

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 10, 2011

I have cashews soaking and butternut squash to use up…this recipe was made for me today!! Is the cashew sauce you gave the one with the cashews already reduced? Or did you end up halving the amount of cashews from that recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

The one I posted is the amount I used for trial 2 (3/4 cups) sorry for the confusion!

Odette @ theonlyplanetwithchocolate March 10, 2011

That looks absolutely delicious! I keep meaning to buy squash to make a recipe I love from The Kind Diet, but now I think I’ll buy even more and try this one out too :)

And such a nice colour for the bathroom- I like girly bathrooms too! The boyfriend….not such a fan of them!

Emily March 10, 2011

That mac and cheeze looks amazing :) I have to try cheeze sauce one of these days…I bought the cashews to try it but haven’t gotten around to makeing it…this looks like a good reason! Oh, and I love the navy!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 10, 2011

I have got to try this…..I forget about Mac N cheese until you post something yummy like this :)

Baking 'n' Books March 10, 2011

Y’know I just realized that I never flip my squash when I roast it…I should do that.

Especially since I eat it, uh, daily. I’m going to be orange. Or yellow.

I think Mac N Cheese you can add any type of veggie really. Just make it and add spinach, broccoli, squash, etc.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 10, 2011

Lavender for the bathroom would be perfect!! Growing up, my mother is a huge huge lavender fan and TONS of my childhood house memories are of lavender and floral prints, Laura Ashley circa 1985 type stuff…and even tho it may look 1985 now,the color palate of lavender and white I think is just so pretty and I think lav would rock for your lav :)

Anyway the mac n cheeze…the sauce looks wonderful. Cashews and nooch, cannot go wrong there!

I love the blue bowl you photographed it in; just highlights the mac so well!

Also I featured your cupcake recipe yesterday in a post of mine and everyone raved about your last cupcakes. Not that you didn’t get rave reviews on your own post, but you got them on my site too. Everyone loved those cupcakes :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Thank you!!!! You are a sweetie!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather March 10, 2011

I love love love butternut squash but my husband is a squash hater :( I’ll have to see if he can detect it cause I so want to try this. Instant from the pot for me too!

AGS March 11, 2011

You should give it a try. My husband also eats squash to be polite, and likewise is not a fan of beans. I love both. I discovered that I could make a great chili variation using both purreed beans and squash that we both loved.

Squash in mac&cheese could go over just as well in your household!

Ashley March 10, 2011

Give me that BLUE DISH right now!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in love. The mac n cheese looks outstanding…you know I love this recipe and the butternut squash sounds perfect. I bet you could also make a version that isn’t as garlicky, but adding a little nutmeg to the mix! yummm

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 10, 2011

This looks so good–I’m drooling over here. I’m also in love with your bright blue dish. So pretty!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 10, 2011

i love looking at vegan mac n cheese recipes as a way of making mine healthier for the kids I nanny! of course, i need a bit of cheese to trip them, you know they have very sophisticated palates ;)

Angela (the diet book junkie) March 10, 2011

oh wow, i want that bathroom! (especially the bathtub.) as strange as it sounds, bathtubs are harder to come by in Sydney, our apartments are smaller because real estate is so expensive. one day though, old fashioned bathtub is the dream…sigh… :)

Suzanne March 10, 2011

Hi Angela! I live in Georgetown so we are almost neighbours especially compared to where many of your readers live! I love seeing your home reno projects. I am imagining that your house is possibly a Century home and looks like you’re out in the countryside of Halton Hills. Any chance we can see some outside shots of your lovely home?

Misty March 10, 2011

Looks yummy!!! love the blue dish! Love the photo’s!

LOVE the idea of using NAVY! GO FOR IT!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 10, 2011

I love this idea! Gorgeous photos too!

Ally (oatsandspice) March 10, 2011

OH WOW! Talk about mouth-watering pics – I need to make this!

Clare March 10, 2011

Hi Angela-
I cannot tell you how much I love your blog. It is beautiful and innovative. I have one *completely* off the subject query for you. I am a yoga teacher and vegan in the United States, and an animal rightish type of gal. Being from the US, I am so heartbroken every year when the Canada Seal Hunt season begins, as it is in a few days. (Not that we don’t have a bjillion awful animal rights violations in the US, we certainly do!) But I wondered, as a vegan, Canadian blogger with a powerful web presence, would you ever do a post on animal rights, and talking about the Seal Hunts, and what, both Canadians and Americans could possibly do to call attention to the seal slaughter and hopefully end it someday very soon.
Thank you for listening and considering, and for your lovely blog.
Clare @ thevegini.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I have planned on writing something about this for a while now, thanks for mentioning this.

Moni'sMeals March 10, 2011

wow! really…this is a must try. I have everything too, yippee!

RENOS looking so good!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 10, 2011

oh this dish looks delightful!

Alexa @ Simple Eats March 10, 2011

This looks delish! Does it have a “squash-like” taste? Or does it taste actually cheesy?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I didnt really detect the squash (I find it blends into it very well)…it mostly provides a nice savoury and thick texture. It is a bit hard to describe but I love it!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 10, 2011

Now I want mac n’ cheeze. I will definitely have to try this one!

kaila @ healthy helper! March 10, 2011

I love vegan cheese sauces! They are versatile and dare I say…BETTER than real cheese! I make mine with hummus and nutritional yeast! Yummy!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 10, 2011

I love collecting home pictures for inspiration! :D And by conicidence, I have a butternut squash sitting on my shelf right now. I’m excited to try it soon!

Page 2 of 5«12345»