Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Thank you for your comments on my Project Food Blog video post. It is always a vulnerable feeling being on camera, but thank you for embracing my inner dork. ;)

Voting for Challenge #7 is now open. Thank you for your support!

I also heard from a few of you who have already made the Peppermint Walnut Blondies and really enjoyed them!

Wow…that was fast. ;) Out of the 4 flavours the Peppermint Walnut Crunch Blondies were my favourite and second place goes to the Apple Streusel Butternut.

A few housekeeping notes:

• There are two sets of blondie directions in the PDF file- one for the jar (on recipe cards) and one if you are simply making them at home. Check out the PDF here.
  • The new holiday Delight Glo Bar goes on sale tomorrow at noon EST in the shopping cart. Limited quantities will be available.
  • I am testing a couple print functions for my recipes due to many of you requesting this feature. Please stay tuned!

In other news, meet my new holiday tea mug from Whole Foods…

20101115IMG 0504 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Rudolph and I are going to get along great this season, I can already tell…

20101115IMG 0503 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Along with my festive mug of tea, I make an equally festive bowl of Red Quinoa this morning! I also may or may not have played Christmas music…

20101115IMG 0468 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

I absolutely love Red Quinoa and I haven’t had it in my pantry for a long time. I finally remembered to pick some up at Bulk Barn the other day and boy was I ever glad I did!

20101115IMG 0478 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Compared to white quinoa, red quinoa has more of an earthier flavour. I like to slightly undercook red quinoa to give it a chewier texture too. Quinoa is also a complete protein (12-18%), digests easily, and is a good source of fibre, magnesium, and iron!

It also makes a fun breakfast.

20101115IMG 0477 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Your lovely ingredients…(plus maple syrup that was not on the scene yet!)

20101115IMG 0477 thumb1   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Mmmmm.

20101115IMG 0486 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Add your toppings…

20101115IMG 0490 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Whatever you desire!

20101115IMG 0491 thumb   Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Now enjoy your comforting and festive breakfast bowl with a hot beverage. A great way to change up a regular bowl of oatmeal on those chilly mornings.

I’m off to prepare Glo Bar shipments for tomorrow morning and then Eric and I are going to a movie later. What should we see? :) Anyone see any good movies lately?

Judy November 15, 2010

“Life As We Know It’ was great. I laughed and cried and then laughed some more. I also enjoyed ‘Secretariat’ which is based on a true story. Enjoy your time together!

Hope November 15, 2010

Mmm mmmm I love Red Quinoa!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 15, 2010

We just watched Its Complicated Saturday. I LOVED it!

Lee November 15, 2010

Just started cooking with Quinoa! I’ve never tried the red kind though, looks delish!

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut November 15, 2010

Red quinoa does taste so much better, and its so much prettier too! Makes for good food photography :)

Laura November 15, 2010

I tried redquinoa at wholefoods, it was great cold on a salad. But looks much bettter in a warm breakfast bowl!
Life as We Know It, with katherine heigl and adam kutcher was really funny&sweet :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 15, 2010

Red quinoa is the best! I have a great christmas quinoa recipe that I came up with but can’t post until closer to Christmas.. its still too early for me! I can’t wait to make your apple butternut blondies!

Lisa November 15, 2010

Life as we know it, morning glory, & due date were all good. Due date was a little crude. Loved your video. You were great!

Camille November 15, 2010

What a unique breakfast! I will definitely have to try this one!

Heather (Heather's Dish) November 15, 2010

this is perfect on days like today when we have a freak surprise snow storm :)

Maureen November 15, 2010

It is funny how you like your oats savoury but your quinoa sweet, I am the opposite cannot seem to like quinoa for breakfast. Having said that your breakfast looks very good so I will have to give quinoa for breakfast another try.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2010

I know I am a strange one aren’t I? ;)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 15, 2010

I haven’t been to a movie in a while either — I’ve heard Jackass 3D is pretty funny :)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 15, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast :-)

Wei-Wei November 15, 2010

Mmm! I’ve never tried quinoa before because I feel like I definitely won’t find it here in China… meh. I guess I’ll have to buy some if I visit the US or Canada :]

Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 15, 2010

I will need to give this a try, I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast. I haven’t been to a movie in a long time either!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 15, 2010

Bulk Barn is where I get my red quinoa too! Actually, it’s where most of my grains come from. Your Whole Foods mug is adorable. My mum bought me a matching bowl and mug for Halloween – maybe she’ll send some festive Christmas ones too! ;) Have a great night!

GFree_Miel November 15, 2010

Yum! This looks great!

Shelby November 15, 2010

I’m not a huge fan of quinoa, but you make it look tasty!

Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) November 15, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast but seem to have forgotten until now; thanks for the reminder! You’re red quinoa bowl looks fantastic.

Julie November 15, 2010

Wait till harry potter comes out! :D

Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 15, 2010

I always wondered what the difference between red and white quinoa was–thanks for the info.!

Lauren November 15, 2010

Is it me, or does red quinoa taste better than any other quinoa? It just looks prettier too!

Ashley November 15, 2010

MORNING GLORY! Awesome!!!

Kate November 15, 2010

Date Night is soooo funny!!!

Also, are you still making the gluten free glo bars? What are they called?

Lizzie November 15, 2010

If Eric will deal with it, Morning Glory. Just saw it on the w/end and was a fun flick!

Charlie November 15, 2010

I love quinoa! This breakfast option looks delicious! And I love the mug ;).

grocery goddess jen November 15, 2010

I still have never had red quinoa! I’ll have to try it. We went to see Let Me In yesterday. I do not recommend it unless you really enjoy blood. Which I don’t think you do :)

Julie @SavvyEats November 15, 2010

LOVE quinoa for breakfast, but haven’t had it in far too long–thanks for the reminder!

Kathryn November 15, 2010

I saw the social network (the facebook movie) yesterday. It was GREAT!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen November 15, 2010

Gorgeous!! I never thought of quinoa for breakfast, but it looks wonderful. That bowl just looks like fall. So pretty!

Rebecca November 15, 2010

I saw “Life as we know it”, It was funny, but, a little sad. I can’t wait to see the new Harry Potter. Harry Potter movie day is a big thing in my family, I go with my brother and sister in law, we get coldrock ice cream. I can’t wait.

Cara Craves... November 15, 2010

Love the colour of your breakie bowl!

Not sure if it’s playing in Ontario, but my hubbie and I saw Unstoppable (with Denzel Washington), which was really good. Quite an entertaining movie.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 15, 2010

Your breakfast quinoa looks great! The red quinoa goes perfect with fall. I’ve had quinoa for breakfast before (http://gethealthywithheather.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/fluffy-chia-and-hemp-seed-breakfast-quinoa/) and it turned out delicious every time :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 15, 2010

I love quinoa in the breakfast although I hardly ever have it..I guess it’s the texture- I just want something thick like oats in the morning. But it is very delicios, and this bowl looks like it delivers!

Rachel R. November 15, 2010

LOVE quinoa ceral! I’ve been experimenting with lots of different “warm” cereals the past few weeks…thanks for sharing this one!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 15, 2010

“It has been so long since we have seen a movie! I don’t even know what is playing now…”

I can almost guarantee I have you beat. It’s been almost FIVE YEARS since I saw a movie. You know how I know this? I was heaving day and night with morning sickness when I was pregnant and we were living in a 1920s house w/ no a/c in the summer and I went to a movie theater to get some a/c. That was the last movie. And Skylar’s almost 4 yrs old.

Have I missed some great movies? I’m sure…but gosh, I have missed so many I dont even know where to start to see any?! haha!

Have fun!!!

And I love the Rudolph mug :)

Annie November 15, 2010

I definitely recommend you see Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. It’s the perfect combination of action, great acting, and the right amount of back story. Plus, it was easy to get my husband to go see it!

Hilary @ Purelicious November 15, 2010

I LOVE the idea of quinoa for breakfast!! That sounds awesome! Can’t believe I haven’t tried that yet… I’m going to need to check it out as soon as I get sick of pumpkin overnight oats :)
Also, your PFB video was amazing, great job! You are a natural in front of the camera!

Andi Murray November 15, 2010

I know you have A LOT on your plate.. but I saw this contest and thought of you!

Laurab @ foodsnobstl November 15, 2010

Not sure of any good movies, but be prepared. gone are the days of $5 movies. Last time we went it was $25!

Page 1 of 212»