Festive Red Quinoa Breakfast Bowl

Thank you for your comments on my Project Food Blog video post. It is always a vulnerable feeling being on camera, but thank you for embracing my inner dork. ;)

Voting for Challenge #7 is now open. Thank you for your support!

I also heard from a few of you who have already made the Peppermint Walnut Blondies and really enjoyed them!

Wow…that was fast. ;) Out of the 4 flavours the Peppermint Walnut Crunch Blondies were my favourite and second place goes to the Apple Streusel Butternut.

A few housekeeping notes:

• There are two sets of blondie directions in the PDF file- one for the jar (on recipe cards) and one if you are simply making them at home. Check out the PDF here.
  • The new holiday Delight Glo Bar goes on sale tomorrow at noon EST in the shopping cart. Limited quantities will be available.
  • I am testing a couple print functions for my recipes due to many of you requesting this feature. Please stay tuned!

In other news, meet my new holiday tea mug from Whole Foods…

20101115-IMG_0504

Rudolph and I are going to get along great this season, I can already tell…

20101115-IMG_0503

Along with my festive mug of tea, I make an equally festive bowl of Red Quinoa this morning! I also may or may not have played Christmas music…

20101115-IMG_0468

I absolutely love Red Quinoa and I haven’t had it in my pantry for a long time. I finally remembered to pick some up at Bulk Barn the other day and boy was I ever glad I did!

20101115-IMG_0478

Compared to white quinoa, red quinoa has more of an earthier flavour. I like to slightly undercook red quinoa to give it a chewier texture too. Quinoa is also a complete protein (12-18%), digests easily, and is a good source of fibre, magnesium, and iron!

It also makes a fun breakfast.

20101115-IMG_0477

Your lovely ingredients…(plus maple syrup that was not on the scene yet!)

20101115-IMG_0477

Mmmmm.

20101115-IMG_0486

Add your toppings…

20101115-IMG_0490

Whatever you desire!

20101115-IMG_0491

Now enjoy your comforting and festive breakfast bowl with a hot beverage. A great way to change up a regular bowl of oatmeal on those chilly mornings.

I’m off to prepare Glo Bar shipments for tomorrow morning and then Eric and I are going to a movie later. What should we see? :) Anyone see any good movies lately?

1 Judy November 15, 2010

“Life As We Know It’ was great. I laughed and cried and then laughed some more. I also enjoyed ‘Secretariat’ which is based on a true story. Enjoy your time together!

2 Hope November 15, 2010

Mmm mmmm I love Red Quinoa!

3 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is November 15, 2010

We just watched Its Complicated Saturday. I LOVED it!

4 Lee November 15, 2010

Just started cooking with Quinoa! I’ve never tried the red kind though, looks delish!

5 Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut November 15, 2010

Red quinoa does taste so much better, and its so much prettier too! Makes for good food photography :)

6 Laura November 15, 2010

I tried redquinoa at wholefoods, it was great cold on a salad. But looks much bettter in a warm breakfast bowl!
Life as We Know It, with katherine heigl and adam kutcher was really funny&sweet :)

7 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) November 15, 2010

Red quinoa is the best! I have a great christmas quinoa recipe that I came up with but can’t post until closer to Christmas.. its still too early for me! I can’t wait to make your apple butternut blondies!

8 Lisa November 15, 2010

Life as we know it, morning glory, & due date were all good. Due date was a little crude. Loved your video. You were great!

9 Camille November 15, 2010

What a unique breakfast! I will definitely have to try this one!

10 Heather (Heather's Dish) November 15, 2010

this is perfect on days like today when we have a freak surprise snow storm :)

11 Maureen November 15, 2010

It is funny how you like your oats savoury but your quinoa sweet, I am the opposite cannot seem to like quinoa for breakfast. Having said that your breakfast looks very good so I will have to give quinoa for breakfast another try.

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2010

I know I am a strange one aren’t I? ;)

13 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete November 15, 2010

I haven’t been to a movie in a while either — I’ve heard Jackass 3D is pretty funny :)

14 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle November 15, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast :-)

15 Wei-Wei November 15, 2010

Mmm! I’ve never tried quinoa before because I feel like I definitely won’t find it here in China… meh. I guess I’ll have to buy some if I visit the US or Canada :]

16 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) November 15, 2010

I will need to give this a try, I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast. I haven’t been to a movie in a long time either!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 15, 2010

Bulk Barn is where I get my red quinoa too! Actually, it’s where most of my grains come from. Your Whole Foods mug is adorable. My mum bought me a matching bowl and mug for Halloween – maybe she’ll send some festive Christmas ones too! ;) Have a great night!

18 GFree_Miel November 15, 2010

Yum! This looks great!

19 Shelby November 15, 2010

I’m not a huge fan of quinoa, but you make it look tasty!

20 Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) November 15, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast but seem to have forgotten until now; thanks for the reminder! You’re red quinoa bowl looks fantastic.

21 Julie November 15, 2010

Wait till harry potter comes out! :D

22 Michelle (The Runner's Plate) November 15, 2010

I always wondered what the difference between red and white quinoa was–thanks for the info.!

23 Lauren November 15, 2010

Is it me, or does red quinoa taste better than any other quinoa? It just looks prettier too!

24 Ashley November 15, 2010

MORNING GLORY! Awesome!!!

25 Kate November 15, 2010

Date Night is soooo funny!!!

Also, are you still making the gluten free glo bars? What are they called?

26 Lizzie November 15, 2010

If Eric will deal with it, Morning Glory. Just saw it on the w/end and was a fun flick!

27 Charlie November 15, 2010

I love quinoa! This breakfast option looks delicious! And I love the mug ;).

28 grocery goddess jen November 15, 2010

I still have never had red quinoa! I’ll have to try it. We went to see Let Me In yesterday. I do not recommend it unless you really enjoy blood. Which I don’t think you do :)

29 Julie @SavvyEats November 15, 2010

LOVE quinoa for breakfast, but haven’t had it in far too long–thanks for the reminder!

30 Kathryn November 15, 2010

I saw the social network (the facebook movie) yesterday. It was GREAT!

31 Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen November 15, 2010

Gorgeous!! I never thought of quinoa for breakfast, but it looks wonderful. That bowl just looks like fall. So pretty!

32 Rebecca November 15, 2010

I saw “Life as we know it”, It was funny, but, a little sad. I can’t wait to see the new Harry Potter. Harry Potter movie day is a big thing in my family, I go with my brother and sister in law, we get coldrock ice cream. I can’t wait.

33 Cara Craves... November 15, 2010

Love the colour of your breakie bowl!

Not sure if it’s playing in Ontario, but my hubbie and I saw Unstoppable (with Denzel Washington), which was really good. Quite an entertaining movie.

34 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather November 15, 2010

Your breakfast quinoa looks great! The red quinoa goes perfect with fall. I’ve had quinoa for breakfast before (http://gethealthywithheather.wordpress.com/2010/08/16/fluffy-chia-and-hemp-seed-breakfast-quinoa/) and it turned out delicious every time :)

35 Mary @ Bites and Bliss November 15, 2010

I love quinoa in the breakfast although I hardly ever have it..I guess it’s the texture- I just want something thick like oats in the morning. But it is very delicios, and this bowl looks like it delivers!

36 Rachel R. November 15, 2010

LOVE quinoa ceral! I’ve been experimenting with lots of different “warm” cereals the past few weeks…thanks for sharing this one!!!!

37 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) November 15, 2010

“It has been so long since we have seen a movie! I don’t even know what is playing now…”

I can almost guarantee I have you beat. It’s been almost FIVE YEARS since I saw a movie. You know how I know this? I was heaving day and night with morning sickness when I was pregnant and we were living in a 1920s house w/ no a/c in the summer and I went to a movie theater to get some a/c. That was the last movie. And Skylar’s almost 4 yrs old.

Have I missed some great movies? I’m sure…but gosh, I have missed so many I dont even know where to start to see any?! haha!

Have fun!!!

And I love the Rudolph mug :)

38 Annie November 15, 2010

I definitely recommend you see Unstoppable with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. It’s the perfect combination of action, great acting, and the right amount of back story. Plus, it was easy to get my husband to go see it!

39 Hilary @ Purelicious November 15, 2010

I LOVE the idea of quinoa for breakfast!! That sounds awesome! Can’t believe I haven’t tried that yet… I’m going to need to check it out as soon as I get sick of pumpkin overnight oats :)
Also, your PFB video was amazing, great job! You are a natural in front of the camera!

40 Andi Murray November 15, 2010

I know you have A LOT on your plate.. but I saw this contest and thought of you!

41 Laurab @ foodsnobstl November 15, 2010

Not sure of any good movies, but be prepared. gone are the days of $5 movies. Last time we went it was $25!

42 Gail November 15, 2010

I LOVE your mug. It looks a lot like a stuffed reindeer I had as a teenager. I wonder if my mom still has it.

Wait for Harry Potter!!!! Love those movies (and books). Otherwise, I couldn’t help ya. I haven’t been to the movies since Star Trek came out.

43 Leah @ Why Deprive? November 15, 2010

I saw Morning Glory this weekend, it was really cute! I loved it!

That mug is adorable, I had a hard time keeping myself from buying all new Christmas dishes this weekend. Home Sense is bad news this time of year! :)

44 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner November 15, 2010

Wow, that looks delicious! I love quinoa but have never considered dressing it up for breakfast. I do like to experiment with grains to replace boring oatmeal. I find that if you add cinnamon to almost any grain, it makes a suitable breakfast. Bulgar is another good one!

45 Ashley November 15, 2010

Too funny!! I made a quinoa breakfast bowl a few days ago and it’s going to be the next post I do for the City Sports blog. I have made them a few times in the past. Such a fun switch from oatmeal. I love cooking it in coconut milk. Yummmm The red quinoa is definitely pretty!!!

46 Katy (The Singing Runner) November 15, 2010

I really want to try the Peppermint Walnut Blondies ASAP! :)

I’ve never thought of quinoa as a breakfast food but I will have to try it! :)

47 stacey-healthylife November 16, 2010

I voted, best of luck.

48 Pam landy November 16, 2010

I hope you didn’t go see Hereafter…the previews made it look like it could be really good…sadly it was awful, slow, and the ending made you say…”really I just sat for almost 3 hours for that?!”

49 JL goes Vegan November 16, 2010

I’ve yet to try quinoa for breakfast. I need to!

50 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes November 16, 2010

I love quinoa for breakfast. So yummy!

51 Emily November 16, 2010

We broke out our holiday mugs this week :) I wanted to completely decorate my house but I held back. A few more weeks :) We saw Due Date and it was absolutely ridiculous, funny, but ridiculous. I heard Red is really good too.

52 leatitia November 16, 2010

We saw Unstoppable this weekend and really enjoyed it! :)

53 Halley (Blunder Construction) November 16, 2010

Red quinoa is perfect for holiday dishes too. I see it with something festive & green, maybe some white beans. :)

54 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 16, 2010

I always buy white quinoa – I didn’t know red quinoa has a different taste!

It has been so long since I’ve seen a movie. I think the last one I saw in theatres may have been Letters to Juliet this summer. It was a little cheesy, but pretty cute.

55 Jenny November 16, 2010

Looks yummy! I’ve yet to try Quinoa! It’s a must.

56 Annie@stronghealthyfit November 16, 2010

I love red quinoa! Still need to try it as a breakfast item. I haven’t been to the movies in forever either, and don’t even know what’s playing! Hope you find something good.

57 Amber K November 16, 2010

I have never tried red quinoa, it looks pretty!

58 Sabina November 16, 2010

Ah, Bulk Barn, how I adore you! You fill my pantry and don’t break the bank. You have evolved to have a great selection of healthy and gluten-free products. Je t’aime! Je t’aime! :-)

I tried cooking a mixture of red and regular quinoa in my rice cooker and it was a flop. Each grain requires a different cooking time and some (can’t recall which colour) were undercooked, while the others were perfectly cooked.

59 Fanta November 16, 2010

I’ve never tried the red quinoa just the other. I’ll have to give it a shot now, especially since you make it look so delicious. This was a recent special ingredient on the show Chopped! And the one gal who cooked it right got booted :(

Have a great day :)

60 Beth @ DiningAndDishing November 16, 2010

I reaaally want to see Morning Glory! I know it didn’t get the best reviews but it does look like a good bit of lighthearted fun. Plus, Rachel McAdams is from London, ON – so you have to support your fellow Canadians, right?? :)

61 Moni'sMeals November 16, 2010

Great breakfast and snack idea!

I also have out my Christmas Mug! Yippeee! Already have the Soy Nog too. :)

62 Teri [a foodie stays fit] November 16, 2010

that mug is SO cute! I want a cute Christmas mug!

63 Jacquelynn November 16, 2010

Hey Angela! I thought you might be interested (if you didn’t already know about it) that on thekindlife.com, Alicia posted about the Earth Balance baking contest… you should DEF enter… I made your cranberry blondies last night, and they were great. All of your recipes I have made have been great (except the walnut lentil burgers, but that was operator error) :)

Have a great day!

64 jodye @ 'scend food November 16, 2010

Your quinoa bowl looks simply delectable. I remember the first time I had quinoa for breakfast.. it was glorious! I’m also a big fan of wheat berries for breakfast. They just taste so warm and comforting. On another note, I absolutely love your rudolph mug. Getting into the holiday season is so fun!

65 Roz November 16, 2010

I’ve never had quinoa for breakfast, but I’m going to give it a go! Good luck with the video, hope you get lots of votes!

66 Mel November 16, 2010

I wanted to write a comment because I feel I dont compliment on blogs as often I should, just lurk around and post the occasional competition entry. So here goes.

Im a lazy cook, I love it but I hate anything elaborate and for aaages I denied cooking your foods because of your excellent photography your foods often come across as gourmet or too posh for everday cooking. So one day I decided enough was enough..I couldnt spend my life dreaming of making your chilli, I had to do it. And I did. I wont deny, I would alter for my taste preference but it made me realise how easy but amazing your recipes were.

As a recent convert to Vegan its been hard but your recipes have been so easy for me now, also Its taught me not to be afraid cooking with spices..she says as making soul southing quiona curry. Ok I dont find curry spicey but you get what I mean.

I’ve also been inspired to try running and competeing. I do bellydancing but I feel I want something phsyically toning and energetic. My only love is that you make more portable cereals. I start work at 6am in the morning and by the time breakfast comes Im famished but cant make hot food, all the canteen has that is vegan is toast..and thats probably questionable. But I dont bring my own table so this is where I fall off my vegan bandwagon and why Im always feeling ill. Have sympathy and get in the kitchen ;P

So yes..what was I intending to write after all this. Yes, your recipes are perfect.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

Thank you so much for your nice comment! :)

68 Clare @ Fitting It All In November 16, 2010

I really want to see Waiting for Superman!

69 Leigh November 17, 2010

Hello Angela! I’m new to your blog and I’m loving every minute of it! I was reading the “Project Snow” entry and am committing myself to that this winter! I’m curious where you got your brown coat and boots that you wore in those pictures?! They are perfect for the New York winters!
Happy blogging :)
Leigh

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

I thin the coat is from Jacob a long time ago and I got the boots about 10 years ago or longer so I am not sure. They finally got sent to salvation army!

71 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace November 17, 2010

Loving the print push button, it works and goes straight to my printer!

72 Gina November 17, 2010

I’ve had a box of red quinoa in my cabinet for a few months now and have been looking for a great recipe to use it with! Thanks Angela :)

73 Jackie November 17, 2010

Can you reheat cooked Red Quinoa for this recipe? I have some leftover and would love to use it in a warm cereal.

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2010

ive never reheated red quinoa before…maybe add a splash of milk to it to prevent it from drying out :)

75 Jackie November 18, 2010

reheating Quinoa in microwave (30 seconds) and adding steamed Almond milk worked great! loved this recipe! :)

76 Gloria November 28, 2010

I made this for breakfast today! The only thing I did differently was add half a banana in the pot to cook, and topped it off with the other banana half, plus a chopped date and a tablespoon of natural crunchy peanut butter mmmm :)

Also, I’ve been a baking machine lately… So far, I’ve made your pumpkin butter swirl bread, cherry banana coconut butter bread and your dark chocolate peppermint cookies! They’re all delicious. Thank you :D