The Blackstrap Reunion

I have to warn you, you are about to witness a blackstrap molasses feast over the next little while.

20100909IMG 2768 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Buckle up, it’s going to be a fun ride.

20100909IMG 2762 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100909IMG 2769 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100909IMG 2775 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Yesterday, my wholesale order reunited me with my beloved Blackstrap Molasses. I have been out of it for a long time. Too long, my friends, too long. I love blackstrap molasses and all the delicious creations it touches from ginger bread to Wedded Bliss ginger cookies to Maple baked beans and everything in between.

20100909IMG 2759 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Blackstrap molasses is the tallest, darkest, and most handsome of all things syrup. But it’s not just a pretty face. It boasts a nutritional profile that will make you weak in the knees.

In just 1 tablespoon:

• 175 mg of calcium,
  • 3.6 mg of iron,
  • 45 mg of magnesium,
  • 510 mg potassium

How bout them apples!

Blackstrap molasses is a great supplement to any diet, not just for vegans, but for women in general. Most of us could use a boost of calcium and iron now and then.

So…..I cracked it open and did what any normal human being would do; I made Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oats!

20100910IMG 2796 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100910IMG 2799 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Loved it. So much so that I ate the VOO I prepared yesterday and had to make a new batch before bed!

This recipe has some bite to it. If you find that the molasses is too strong in this recipe, you can always adjust it to your taste. Try adding more pumpkin or milk if it is too strong. I added 1/2 tbsp maple syrup to tone down the sharp molasses taste just a bit. It worked perfectly.

20100910IMG 2810 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

I couldn’t get enough of this.

20100910IMG 2804 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

For more fun Vegan overnight oat parfaits, check out these recipes:

Chocolate Cake Batter Vegan Overnight Oats

Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 9383 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 5992   The Blackstrap Reunion

Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 48652 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

I thought I would share with you some of my favourite websites. They will keep you entertained for hours and hours!

Sites I love

What non food blog websites do you love to visit?

Now go have some Friday Fun!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 10, 2010

Those are some of my top ones too. I love Young House Love and Fitsugar!

Nicole September 10, 2010

I am a big icanhascheezeburger fan too. My boyfriend and I read them together out loud. :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 10, 2010

Non blog? Does facebook count :) I like to read online newspapers and a local radio station posts hilarious news stories, so I like to check up on those as well.

I made your breakfast pizza yesterday — it was so good! I used Justin’s choc hazelnut butter as the topping and I wish I had a piece with me right now :)

Kerry September 10, 2010

I check ihasahotdog and icanhasacheezeburger every day! They provide my daily chuckles.

kristy @ kristyruns.com September 10, 2010

Wow! And i thought your pumpkin pie boos couldn’t be topped! :)

You HAVE to check out wimp.com. They post the 5 best videos of the day. Awesomeness.

Gillian Young September 10, 2010

Making this PRONTO! I love the New York Times website- especially for the health/dining articles and Bitten by Mark Bittman!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

I love his stuff too!

Seglare September 10, 2010

Thanks for the Gawker links – those were completely new to me! :)

I’m a huge news freak, so I love Worldpress.org – it collects news from all over the world, and often also “smaller”, local news that might not be published abroad. Of course, in addition, I read a number of bigger newspapers online.

I also have a strange habit to browse Amazon.com book listings, in search for new, interesting books to read. This is a bit random, but sometimes you find a gem. I would love a website where you type in your top five favorite books, and it comes up with a list of good suggestions (maybe it even exists already?). ;)

Judy September 10, 2010

Two good sites for ‘book lovers’ are:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ – gives you upcoming releases and much more
http://www.whatshouldireadnext.com/ – you type in a book that you like and it will give you several options of similar books.
Happy reading

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

tks!!!

Seglare September 10, 2010

Many thanks! :) I will check them out right away.

Katie (Sweet Tater) September 10, 2010

ohmygod i loooove black strap molasses. i just used it in a BBQ sauce the other night and was licking the spoon. so good.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 10, 2010

It’s still a blog, but I LOVE gofugyourself.com. I’m obsessed with it!

And I love blackstrap molasses!! We used to pour it on biscuits when I was little!

Charlie September 10, 2010

I love matcha green tea! I go to a tea salon that makes it by whisking it in hot water (they use a special whisk) and it is served with a truffle – it is incredible!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

Interesting! I read on the directions that I needed to whisk it…it was a bit hard in my tea steeper. ;)

Nour September 10, 2010

I love Matcha green tea because there is a history to it. The actual whisking and preparation of the tea is ceremonial in Japan. I’ve never seen it being made it as a steeped tea, so it’s interesting that you had it like this. Nothing says that you can’t, I just never thought of having it like this :p

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 10, 2010

I guess this is technically a blog, but it doesn’t seem like it: Postsecret :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please September 10, 2010

Ohhh, I love the color of the tea!!! Unfortunately, it’s starting to get too cold here to enjoy VOO or Green Monsters. :-(

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

never!! ;)

Olivia @ Blissful Runner September 10, 2010

I just used my Blackstrap last night! I added it to an old recipie for Irish brown bread for a little kick — it was great! Non-blogging … I feel like most websites feature a blog portion now, so this is hard! I’m a big fan of theletteredcottage.net and younghouselove.com. I find their motivation so inspiring!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 10, 2010

I love molasses! I always forget about it, though :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 10, 2010

I’m obsessed with Real Simple. I tried making improvised pumpkin VOO last night (i.e. I was in the kitchen at 11.30pm and thought it was a good idea to try but was too sleepy to go find one of your recipes) but skipped putting a banana in or making banana soft serve this AM, and I really think that made the VOO incomplete. There’s always tomorrow to make a better version :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 10, 2010

I’ve never tried molasses before. Oh, and that tea is gorgeous.

I also love Young House Love. I’m addicted to DesignSponge, too.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 10, 2010

Regretsy. Hilarious!

I <3 blackstrap too

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 10, 2010

YES! I’ve had blackstrap on my shopping list for awhile now. I’ll probably pick some up next time I go to Lubbock!

Those oats look FANTASTIC. I think I might have that for breakfast tomorrow! (Minus the molasses, because like I said, I don’t have any…)

Jami (Sensical Musings) September 10, 2010

I like to read lifehacker.com for tips on anything and everything to make life easier. I am also a big Huffington Post reader, so good call there!

Bee Goes Bananas September 10, 2010

Wow, I might have to invest in some molasses. I would have never thought it was so good for you!

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 10, 2010

I love molasses too, and I’ve been trying to eat it more often bc I think I might be lacking iron in my diet. Now you’ve got me wanting to make some molasses crinkle cookies! Yum.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

cookies are definitely on my list!

Alexia September 10, 2010

i use that exact brand as a facial mask. mmm.

Tina September 10, 2010

I’m so in love with all the fall flavors in that oat dish. And I think the main sites I visit for entertainment are blogs so I have nothing to add to that list. LOL

Erin B. @ vegan-a-licious September 10, 2010

I am addicted to VegNews also, as well as Runners World Magazine and Active.com they both have so many awesome articles on running tips, training programs, nutrition news etc….

Andrea September 10, 2010

Where did you get your teapot? I had a glass one that I broke and now I can’t find another one (that’s in my price range!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

Its Bodum brand from William Ashleys :)

Laura September 10, 2010

WOW.
Molasses and pumpkin have now been added to my grocery list for the week. ;)

Also a huge fan of Young House Love!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 10, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever had molasses before. That breakfast looks yummy though! I may have to try it!

Marina September 10, 2010

I never tried molasses. Or at least I think so. The one I tried is used for feeding cattle, and it tasted absolutely horrible.
I love foodgawker and tastespotting. and also http://www.care2.com
It’s a really nice site

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

yup it doesnt taste good on its own!

Jenny September 10, 2010

I am absolutely LOVING all of the pumpkin goodness, bring it on !: )

Alaina @ The Jogging Concerge September 10, 2010

Oh, I love “I Can Has Cheezeburger”! Keeps me entertained through slow times at work.

And those oats look delectable. Anything pumpkin is delectable in my opinion. :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 10, 2010

my favorite photographer EVER is jasmine star…plus she’s hilarious! http://www.jasminestarblog.com

Melissa September 10, 2010

Matcha + almond milk – warmed over a pot on the stove = amazing winter pick me up!

Laurie September 10, 2010

These oats looks great, but I don’t have chia seeds (and when I went to buy them from the store, they were really expensive). Is there a substitute you would recommend? I have ground flax seeds, but am not really sure what the nutritional differences are between the two seeds.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

Ive heard ground flax seed works in vegan overnight oats! As for nutritional difs. chia seeds are higher across the board in almost everything (omegas, protein, fibre, antioxidants, etc etc) and chia doesn’t have to be ground fresh like flax.

Bree September 10, 2010

You have convinced me to get some molasses! I love natural stuff that has a good amount of electrolytes – esp. potassium since I seem to find sodium easy enough wihtout trying :)

I like Young House Love, too. I also visit Jezebel.com quite frequently. Sort of a blog I guess. GraphJam is hilarious – much like icanhazcheeseburger. Also People of Walmart and gofugyourself.

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 10, 2010

I think that pumpkin oatmeal may just have to become mine very soon.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 10, 2010

I just discovered Green Match Tea as well and I’m obsessed! It’s so pretty and makes me feel on top of the world :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

isnt it so energizing?

Chelsea September 10, 2010

I love molasses, but in small amounts. I find the taste can be very overpowering if you’re not careful! The VOO looks so good though, I’ll have to try that when I get some pumpkin.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

yes it is very strong!

Camille September 10, 2010

I have never been able to get in to molasses… The only way I can describe my aversion is that it tastes too “molassesey”. I guess I need to find a way to use it where a lot of the take cooks out!

Wei-Wei September 10, 2010

Matcha is AMAZING – have you ever tried it in any of your baked goods? And my favourite non-food website – well, it’s hard to find me NOT looking at food (heh) but I do love design websites like Dezeen and Design Milk. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 10, 2010

not yet but I have plans for raw brownie bites dipped in it :)

MoniMeals September 10, 2010

Oh Molasses! how do we love you .:) Great b-fast and thanks for the blog lists. I have a barley, molasses-granola recipe (that after getting motivated with your pics) I will be making this weekend. :) We still do not have canned Pumpkin at the stores yet…;(

Page 1 of 3123»