How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

20100829-IMG_1664

This was a REALLY tough one to guess!

20100829-IMG_1665

Apple cupcakes.

20100829-IMG_1660

I saw this idea in one of Martha’s magazines at my sister’s place and I knew I had to make them immediately! All I could think about was how much kids would enjoy these fun apple ‘cupcakes’.

20100829-IMG_1652

Or 27 year old kids. ;)

Apple Cupcakes

Adapted from Martha.

Ingredients:

Directions: Core apple and cut in half. Place apple cut side up and add a layer of nut butter, cobbler, and coconut on one half. On the other half add a big scoop of ‘icing’ (aka pudding!) and then cobbler and coconut. If making a bunch for a party, serve in jumbo muffin liners on a serving tray.

20100829-IMG_1656

I had my apple cupcakes with 2/3 of a not-yet-existing Glo bar.

20100829-IMG_1657

I looooooved this cupcake idea. So fun. Can’t you just see these at a kids birthday party or at a baby shower?

20100829-IMG_1667

And of course the topping ideas are endless! Nut butter, pudding, granola, yogurt, VOO, etc!

20100829-IMG_1668

After digesting, I hit the road for a short and sweet 5k run.

run5k

A great run and it was over before I knew it began.

How often do you replace your running shoes?

Over the past few weeks I have been suspecting that I need to order another pair of running shoes. I searched online for information on when to replace them because I wasn’t really sure! In the past, I have simply replaced them when they got really, really worn down or holes in them, but even though my Brooks sneakers are currently still intact I have noticed that they don’t feel the same anymore and don’t have the same support.

How did I know this? Because lately I have been tying my shoelaces tighter and tighter just to obtain the support I need and I never had to do this before. I have also noticed a few aches and pains in my foot that I never had previously.

I found an article on Running.about.com and it says that you should replace your runners every 300-400 miles (other articles say 300-550 or every 3-6 months, so it varies a lot!). I did a quick tally of my mileage since I bought the shoes mid-March and I have run over 310 miles on these sneakers. It has been exactly 6 months too!

I run outdoors which is harder on shoes and I also run on rougher terrain at times (gravel and lots of hills/declines); both of these factors can wear your shoes down faster.

There are also lots of tests you can do on your sneakers to check for wear and tear (found here).

So it looks like all signs point to ordering a new pair ASAP! What better excuse to gather up all our old sneakers and donate them to a good cause too.

I think it is important to keep in mind that the above articles are simply recommendations and rules of thumb. It is always important to listen to how your body feels most importantly and trust your gut.

How often do you replace your sneakers?

1 Jessica @ How Sweet August 30, 2010

That is so creative! I am definitely going to try that one day this week.

2 Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) August 30, 2010

those apples look so good. i’m sad i already ate breakfast ’cause i’d totally eat those! :)

3 Kristina @ spabettie August 30, 2010

those ‘muffins’ are so cute – you can always count on Martha for unique ideas! :) This would be a great thing for a party…

Usually I can tell my runners need to be replaced when they start splitting a the tread somewhere… thankfully I don’t usually have pain to tell me. :)

4 Kayla August 30, 2010

CUTE apple cupcakes! Love that idea!

I let my running shoes get really dirty and old before I replace them! But if I notice that they don’t give as much support as they used to, it’s time for a new pair! I don’t like getting new running shoes because you have to break them in and it’s harder to run in a new pair.

5 Marina August 30, 2010

What a great idea!
I once stuffed apples with cottage cheese/egg/oat mixture, and baked them for about half an hour. Not exactly vegan, but I’m sure it can be veganized :) It was really yummy

6 Emily August 30, 2010

Oooooh sounds delicious. That’s got me thinking… “Inside out apple pie” I may have to work on that recipe!

7 Lynn @ The Next Chapter August 30, 2010

Love the apple cupcakes, what a cute idea! :)

8 Jennifer August 30, 2010

What a terrific idea to use up the apples I’m going to buy at the apple orchard this year! I love how apples are so versatile! Thanks

9 kristy @ kristyruns.com August 30, 2010

Omg. Those apple cupcakes are beautiful! :) I replace my running shoes every 350 to 400 miles. My legs can usually tell me when i need a new pair.

10 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 30, 2010

Ooohh those cupcakes look so good! Healthiest I’ve ever seen :p
I’m yet to replace my running shoes..but I’ve made a good 6months+, so I probably should! Definetly before my marathon at least :s

11 Caitlin (EatFeats) August 30, 2010

I love swimming because I only need to replace my suits when the elastic in the straps becomes stretched, exposed, and sticky, or when the suit becomes see through. Polyester suits last forever.

Those apple cupcakes look so good! As per usual, I want to lick all the frosting off. Always my favorite part!

12 Lizzie August 30, 2010

Cute idea!

Ironically enough I just ordered a new pair of shoes last week! I agree with the 300-500 or 3-6 months, whichever comes first. I haven’t had a very high mileage this summer as last summer, but do have a 1/2 in 3 week (eeeep!) and after my long run the other day I noticed that my ankle was feeling ‘weak’ again. I know that I need to be more consistent with my stretching, but part of my also remembered that I hadn’t bought new shoes since March. So hopefully a combination of those two things should strengthen the area. There’s the whole barefoot theory now and I see a lot of people doing it, so that’s also another option. But maybe not so much if you’re running on rough terrain like you mentioned.

13 Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 30, 2010

This is adorable!

14 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 30, 2010

I thought it was just going to be muffins — that would have been too easy. Those are so cute! And much more healthy and filling too!

I replace my running shoes 1-2x per year, depending on how many races I have, how often I am running, etc. During marathon training I do follow the 300 mile rule, and I had the same “feelings” as you: my feet weren’t feeling great, I had to tie them very tightly, etc.

15 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 30, 2010

When I was running longer distances I religiously changed shoes every 4 months/500 miles.

16 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad August 30, 2010

I’ve gotten to the point where I can just tell I need new shoes. Usually I will begin to feel more pressure in my knees. I also look at the bottom to see how worn the treads are. Checking out the side gel pockets is important too!

I never get rid of my “old” running shoes right away. I keep them around to wear on walks or during strength training. This way my running shoes are stricly for running. They last a lot longer this way!!

17 Briana August 30, 2010

Yum, Yum, Y U M ! ! ! I need to make these immediately !!

18 FitSugar August 30, 2010

Keep on running! Your times are improving, which is so great. If I am running a lot I change my shoes about every four months, but it takes me much longer to actually throw them out. I use them to “run” errands and chores around the house. When I have a whole bunch I take them to the Nike store to have them recycled into tracks.

19 Rachael @ Houston Health Blogs August 30, 2010

I’ve always heard every 6 months if you are active… I love new sneekers.

20 Emily August 30, 2010

Cutest cupcakes, they look delicious; I wonder about baking the apples inthe winter. As for running shoes I just replaced mine because I was noticing some aches and feeling that my arches and ankles were not as supported. I usually go by feeling and then weigh my decision on how long it’s been

21 Christine August 30, 2010

SO cute!! I squealed at my desk!

Totally making one tomorrow to take to work!

22 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 30, 2010

I’m definitely looking for a good pair of running shoes myself. Is there any particular brand that is better than others?

23 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute!!! I love the idea, I’m going to make some soon!

24 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute!

I am a loyal fan of Asics running shoes, and I follow a mix of the 300-500 mile recommendation and a ‘looking at the soles’ sort of rule. If I can see that there is a lot of wear, I do a rough calculation of how far I’ve probably run in them based on the number of times per week and my average run distance. Since most of my running is done indoors, my current pair seem to be lasting longer than usual. I think I purchased them in April, and they’re still in fairly good shape. If you’re looking to replace yours and experiment with other brands, I highly recommend Asics! :)

25 Lizzie August 30, 2010

I second the Asics. I have used the Gel Nimbus 10 and now 11 (I was sneaky and ordered the 11 rather than the 12 as it was $50 cheaper b/c it’s being phased out). Great shoe! Only got into them as they were one of three choices from a fitting at my local store.

26 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 30, 2010

Martha has truly stumbled upon a healthy cupcake. Who knew there was such a thing! Looks delicious though :)

I replace my shoes based solely on feel; I can definitely tell when I need a new pair. I currently only have one pair that I am using, but I am tempted to get another so that I can alternate pairs for each run. I’ve heard that this helps by putting stress on different points on your lower legs, instead of having one pair that puts stress on the same points every time.

27 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 30, 2010

those are adorable! you seriously make the cutest breakfasts :)

as for the running shoes, i usually aim for every 4-6 months, but that’s because i typically am walking more and therefore don’t put the same amount of stress on them as someone who runs consistently!

28 Kelly August 30, 2010

Love those cupcakes!! Such a cute idea. I can’t wait to have kids and feed them all these healthy snacks :)

I replace running shoes about once a year.. but I am not as hardcore of a runner as most people :)

29 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious August 30, 2010

Martha has soooo many great ideas…so happy you shared this one with us! a great treat/snack for kids and adults too :)

30 Lily August 30, 2010

You’re supposed to take out insoles and inspect them. If they have deep depressions where your toes go (not just indentations but “troughs”), they’re shot.

I attempted to add mileage to old shoes by replacing the insoles with SuperFeet (custom “orthotic” insoles you can get at Fleet Feet or other running shops). They felt great!

Unfortunately, the shoes were shot anyway cos after about 6 weeks of running 16mi / week, the inside material imploded and rubbed blisters where they never had before. :(

Just got a new pair of trainers from Nike set as “500 milers.” I developed a neuroma this summer (have lupus & Raynaud’s complex). Doctor’s orders are to “never” run again–cycle or swim :( I’m working on keeping at or under 5-8k about once a week (walk / run now). The helpful staff at Fleet Feet set me up with Nike’s “for the gimp footed” Equalon Zoom +4. It has a super-large toe box and “air bags” under the fore-foot and sides.

31 Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats August 30, 2010

I’ve run about 200 miles in these shoes and walked countless more. They still look okay, but I’m getting a new pair this weekend :-)

32 Emmanuelle August 30, 2010

Love these apple cupcakes, so cute!

As for running shoes, I’ve just started using mine, so time will tell :-)

33 CathyK August 30, 2010

ooo, i think i can help you today, angela! i work at the running room! :)
standard rule is to replace your shoes every 300-500 miles (600-800 k). some people can get away with more mileage, some with less. the interior of the shoe breaks down before the exterior, so you can’t really go by how a shoe looks. since you’ve had yours since march and you use them so reguarly, it’s probably time!

34 Lisa August 30, 2010

I’ve been competitively running for half of my life (12 years) and from my experience, the 300-400 mile range is usually a good standard to use for replacing shoes. However, I’ve known runners who consistently put many more miles on their shoes. It’s all dependent upon preference and how you feel. I think that some people break down shoes faster than other people.

Minor aches and pains and having to tie your shoelaces tighter are definitely good indicators that you may need new shoes. My philosophy has always been that is is better to err on the safe side and get new shoes, than risk injury.

If you run consistently run year-round, you’ll begin to see a pattern in when you need to replace your shoes. For example, you may find that you need to get a new pair every spring and every winter, or maybe every season.

Also, different brands of shoes tend to wear down at different rates. Don’t be surprised if you need to replace some brands faster than others.

I think it’s a great idea to donate your old shoes! Often, even after they are worn out for running, running shoes are great for everyday use.

35 Shanna, like Banana August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes are divine! Ther are so many ‘frostings’ you could play around with — a streudel, pb, choclate, vanilla bean (made with greek yogurt), etc.

Cute!

36 Wei-Wei August 30, 2010

Wow. I’m amazed that you didn’t come up with that yourself! Suuuuuuch a cute idea! I’ve only started running and I can’t log mileage yet (I don’t even know how far I run everytime… just how long!) so I don’t know. Glad you told us the warning signs, though!

37 Dawn August 30, 2010

I buy a couple new pairs of runners per year. Right now, I’m working in a new pair of Brooks that I just love! My Nike Frees just weren’t good with the half-marathon training…!

Angela, (or anyone else reading) do you your Garmin to check where your heart rate was during your runs? Just wondering. That’s what I’m using mine for, trying to bring mine down. When you’re doing your long distance runs, what % of your heart rate max are you at? I’m finding that I’m between 90-100% of my HRmax, although my perceived exertion level is only about a 7 or 8 – I don’t feel like I’m working THAT hard. Weird. And, I’m in good shape and have been running for over 5 months, plus doing many other fitness classes etc. Any feedback??

Thanks, Dawn :)

38 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 30, 2010

I usually wait about a year to a year and a half to replace my runners. I never think about it too much.

39 faith @ gracefulfitness August 30, 2010

Not often enough! This is the one area in my fitness life where I actually have some guilt. As a personal trainer, I recommend that my clients replace their shoes every 6 months at least. I, myself have been known to go a year of regular use before shoe shopping! Shame on me! I am not a fan of looking for shoes because my feet are very wide and stubby. However, I FINALLY got a new pair a few weeks ago and now look forward to my runs just because of my shoes. I just have to remember this feeling next time I am putting of a trip to the sports store!

40 Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute! What a great treat, and way healthier than a real cupcake! I am really bad about replacing my running sneakers. I never remember and then I start to get pains in places I never did before and only then am I like Oh! its been almost a year sinceI got new running sneakers! Duh! I run a fair amount too so I really need to be more on top of that!

41 Jess August 30, 2010

OMG Ang those apples looks delicious! I might have to go home and try that right away!

I tend to replace my shoes about every 300 miles too because that’s when I start to notice the support going. I can usually tell when it’s time for new shoes because I get seriously bad shin splints.

42 Kristie @ cookeatburn August 30, 2010

For shoe replacement for me it has depended on what shoes I’m wearing and how long of runs I do. When I first started running and just did 3-5 mile runs max, I could wear shoes for 500 miles without a problem. But now that I do longer runs, I think my legs and feet can just feel when they need more support or a new shoe. Last time I started having shin pain (something I’d never had issues with before) and even though my shoes were only at 250 miles, I replaced them and as soon as I did the shin pain was gone! And the Brooks shoes I’ve had have worn down faster than Nikes, so yeah, it all just seems to vary :). I’d say it sounds like you’re due for a pair though!

43 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 30, 2010

Wicked cute ‘cupcakes’! What a great idea.
I replace my running shoes every six (er.. 7 ?) months. I haven’t calculated the average number of miles I run in a six-month time period, but that seems to work for me. Sometimes I let it go a few months though, depending on whether or not I can afford them. I’m due for a new pair right about now too! Same problem, tying the laces tighter and tighter.

44 Alex August 30, 2010

How creative! I’m excited to try and make those in my dorm room! They’d make a perfect, healthy, evening snack!

45 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 30, 2010

Cute muffins!! Definitely much healthier than the real things ;) And tastier, too!

I’ve had the same sneakers for years..at least three or four. But really, I don’t run much anymore, they’re still supporting me well, and they’re holding up..almost like new except for a little wear n tear.. so I don’t see any need to replace them yet. :P

46 Julie @SavvyEats August 30, 2010

What a cute idea! I feel like this would be really good on a pear, too (though not as much of a cupcake-shape… )

47 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 30, 2010

Those apple “cupcakes” are awesome! I love that idea. Does Martha ever have a bad idea? No.

48 MarathonVal August 30, 2010

I never knew which rule to follow since as you mentioned, everyone seems to say something different… 300 miles, 500 miles, etc. I have a bone spur on the back of my shoe so I have to replace my shoes whenever the cloth starts to wear down, which is usually sooner than I would like. If only running shoes were cheaper :)

49 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes look great! I should experiment more with apple recipes, I just love them so much plain.

I know I don’t replace my workout shoes enough. I’ve had the same ones for about four years, and I only got those because they were a Christmas gift. I keep things for a very long time and don’t get new stuff unless somebody gives it to me. But I don’t run, so they’re walking/elliptical/aerobics shoes and not running shoes. My mom’s a runner and I know she gets new shoes about every six months.

50 Aneta August 30, 2010

Angela, you read my mind.
for the past week or so, i have been thinking about replacing my shoes and thinking how often I should do that.

i think its time for me!! thnx for the reminder!!

happy monday!

51 Kim August 30, 2010

Around 400 miles I always start to feel it in my legs – my joints start aching, my legs feel tired, etc. I try to swap my shoes out around 400 or 450.

52 Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit August 30, 2010

Good morning Angela! Those apple “cupcakes” look absolutely adorable and delicious!

As for the sneakers… I began working out continuously last September (1 year anniversary coming up… of sticking with a healthy lifestyle!!) and have worn the same sneakers the whole time. Since June-ish when I began doing more running (aka. more mileage) i’ve noticed the support in my sneakers slowly going. If I keep up this running thing (or should I say, because I’m going to keep this running business up :p ) I will need to start replacing my shoes more often for sure!

I’m hoping to wait ’til October to purchase new ones… a good birthday present for myself :)

53 marysol August 30, 2010

Oh! Be very mindful about the shoes!!!
I was preparing for a half marathon and did not feel like breaking in new shoes a month before The Run, so I kept on putting the mileage… I ended up hurting one leg really bad the week before the marathon. Then, being quite stubborn, I kept on running, put the weight on the other leg, and hurt that one too. It left me unable to run for more than a year (so I swam!)

Love the blog!! Discover it through thefood.ca

54 T August 30, 2010

Which issue of Martha’s magazine’s was the original apple cupcake recipe? I can’t seem to find it on her website…
Love this healthy/vegan variation, though!

55 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 30, 2010

I’m not as big as a runner as you, and due to my knee problems I’m stuck running on an indoor rubber track. Usually I replace them once a year, but now with all of my limitations I’ve gotten more use out of them. They still feel amazing every time I put them on, so I’ll stick with them for now.

56 Bridget August 30, 2010

I would have never guessed that you would make apple cupcakes. How clever!!! And delicious :)

57 Susan August 30, 2010

I get new sneakers every six months on the dot. Otherwise I start to experience weird aches and pains after the 6-month mark. I’m pretty sure running in old shoes was one of the contributing factors to my hip injury last year! I don’t think people realize how much cushioning is lost during that period of time, but you can really notice it once you run in the new pair :)

58 Stacy August 30, 2010

Oh my yum! These look so amazing, I can’t wait to make them!

59 Corey @ the runner's cookie August 30, 2010

I go through about 4 pairs per year, so that would be every 3 months, except I am almost always using 2 pairs at a time. Alternating between 2 pairs of running shoes helps them last longer because if you only run on them every other day or less, the material in the shoe has more time to “bounce back” and recover from the running you do in them, making the shoe slower to break down.
Your apples are so cute and creative! :)

60 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 30, 2010

LOVE this breakfast idea!! So creative!

I’m pretty lazy about switching out my shoes…I just get so attached to my current pair! It’s like saying goodbye to an old friend when I get a new pair!

61 Katheryn August 30, 2010

I replace my running shoes every 4-6 months. Depends on how hard I’ve been training.

Apple cupcakes look yummy!

62 Jen @ Tip Top Shape August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes look delicious, I am so glad I will have something to do with the apples I have on the counter!

And I don’t replace my running shoes nearly enough but I am definitely going to be needing new ones soon!

63 Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows August 30, 2010

I usually replace my sneakers every year. I fall into a routine of running moderately during the summer, hard in the fall, training for a late fall race and then giving up on running in the winter (too cold!) and then starting back up in late spring, early summer. So I think one good pair a year works for me. I buy them always at the end of summer during the middle of my training period. And they last throughout my one big race a year, and then get me through until the end of the next summer while I do short runs. This year I am hoping to run through the winter and train hard in the spring too…so I may need two pairs this year…so yeah, I guess every 6 months!

64 Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 30, 2010

It makes sense to me to go by mileage rather than distance. I have had mine for over a year now, but I am not a distance runner by any means. I have just begun upping it to 2 miles 3x a week. So yeah, my shoes can last. They are still very springy and supportive.

65 Kimmi August 30, 2010

If you take your shoes into a running store, the staff are usually very knowledgeable and helpful. They can look at your shoes and bend them and tell you if you’re due for a new pair very quickly.

66 Elle @ A Galley Slave August 30, 2010

The apples look like fun.

I replace my running shoes about every 400 miles and then they become my walking shoes till they wear out!

I can tell by the way my legs feel that it is time to replace my running shoes… my legs start to feel heavy after a run. I look at my running log and tally up the miles and am usually pretty close to the 400 mile mark, give or take a few.

67 monicanelsonfitness August 30, 2010

I just got so excited by your apple pics! Yum and adorable. :) I am also a sucker for Martha LIVING, the Halloween issue is out(my favorite), is that where these lil cuties came from? I replace running shoes every 4 months but honestly I feel like every 2-3 I need to. It makes a huge difference and I think many folks go too long. I also recycle my shoes or donate them so I don’t feel so bad. :)

68 Amber K August 30, 2010

Those apple “cupcakes” look sooo good! They make me wish my stomach could handle digesting apples!

I work out mostly in a gym and mostly on low-impact things. So I tend to keep them for about a year. If I were running a lot, I would probably at least feel like I should replace them more often. I just don’t have a lot of money to spend on fitness stuff!

69 Tami August 30, 2010

i change my shoes a lot. every 5 months or so, about 300 miles. I love new sneakers and the kick it gives you to get back out there again.

i am wondering if you still use that lemon face scrub? i made a batch last night and used it today and i loved it.

70 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 30, 2010

Aww apple cupcakes! What a cute idea.

I get really lazy about purchasing running shoes. I won’t replace them until they are well worn out, or until they start getting uncomfortable. I know it’s a bad habit but I don’t run alot so I feel that I’m not doing too much damage to my feet..

71 chelsey August 30, 2010

That looks SOO good!

I replace my shoes when they start to hurt to be perfectly honest with you! It’s usually 4-5 months. I got new ones in April and they’re hurting now, so it’s time to get a new pair!

72 tina August 30, 2010

I might have to have some apple cupcakes at my daughter’s 2nd bday party. Or for breakfast in the morning bec I’m impatient. ;)

I replace my shoes once a year, BUT I’m not a huge runner and generally only use them for lifting, kickbox, and some runs on the treadmill. After this pregnancy and once I try to pick up running more, I will likely replace them more often.

73 Kris August 30, 2010

It’s so funny you are posting about new shoes! I just ordered a pair online from Running Room that I have been eyeing for 6 months. They are Asics Gel ones and I am so excited. Running Room has 20% off onlien orders until Aug 31!

I figured I am way past due since my last pair are from 2002!!! Maybe these new shoes will give me a kick in my step :-)

74 Sylvia August 30, 2010

Hi! I just read your About page and I myself have struggled (and still struggling) with weight loss as well as eating disorders over the years. I was really inspired after reading your About page and it’s really such a motivating story.

That being said, I replace my running shoes every 6 months or so. I’m still working up to running but for the time being, I’m basically just walking. :)

75 Beth @ DiningAndDishing August 30, 2010

I have been training for a half-marathon and did have new shoes, but got them at a discount store for cheap! I had a terrible problem with shin splints and ended up caving and investing in a proper pair of shoes. What a difference! Since I have been running in my new shoes I haven’t had any troubles at all. A worthwhile investment for sure!

76 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2010

That is the cutest idea for breakfast!

I have a hard time figuring out when to replace my running shoes because I don’t keep track of my mileage. I think I replaced my last pair after a year, but it sounds like I should probably think about replacing mine more frequently!

77 Dominika August 30, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, I absolutely love reading it; I bounce up and down everytime GoogleReader tells me you have a new post!

I did want to comment on your suggestion to donate old shoes. Contrary to popular belief, donating used goods are generally NOT as helpful as we think they are; in fact, sometimes they can do more harm than good. Here are two great articles explaining why:

Just wanted to send these your way since I’m guessing you’ll find them informative and helpful in future! Thanks for all your great posts and recipes!

-Dominika

78 Kelly August 30, 2010

Last year I was having some knee pain and decided to see someone about it. He recommended a few weeks of physical therapy that I could incorporate into my regular workouts. The Physical Therapist said that because of how often I workout and the intensity I should replace my shoes every 6 months. I workout inside so my shoes hardly ever show wear. So this year I replaced my old ones after 6 months and can really tell the difference in the cushion from old to new.

79 Leah @ Why Deprive? August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes are genius.

I have really high arches, and so as soon as the arch supports start to wear down I replace my shoes. It usually takes about 6 months or so depending on how often I run.

80 Therese August 30, 2010

I replace my shoes about every six months although while training for this half, I plan to buy new shoes directly afterwards as well as I’ve added more mileage than I’m used to.

I find six months works for my body as I start feeling minor aches in my hips and knees around this time. As soon as I buy new shoes it all goes away! I think depending on where your feet fall while running the breakdown on your shoes can vary from person to person. Some people have to replace them more frequently than others.

81 Kacy August 30, 2010

I definitely think you can tell when shoes need to be replaced, but I like to replace mine before 400 miles at least. Also, I rotate through 2 or 3 different pairs of shoes. Every shoe will cause us to run in a slightly different way – meaning some tendons/muslces can get overused if you only wear one pair. Wearing multiple pairs allows our leg muscles to shift the work so we don’t wind up with minor pains or injuries. Kind of expensive starting out, but it also means you have to replace them less often because you’re wearing each pair less.

82 GFree_Miel August 30, 2010

These are the cutest little morsels of food I’ve ever seen in my life. What a great idea! My sister and I seriously freaked out over how cute these are! I can’t wait to make these.

Thank you for the tips on buying new shoes. I’m not much of a runner yet, but I plan to start when I’m back on campus, so I need all the help I can get. =)

83 JL Goes Vegan August 30, 2010

I buy two pairs of the same model of running shoes (different colors) and I swamp them for each run. That way they can dry out (sweat in the summer, snow in the winter, rain in the spring) I buy two new pair each spring. It’s been working for me.

84 Lindsey Graham August 30, 2010

I liked to your post from fitsugar and I was like I know ohsheglows haha : ) Those cupcakes are fantastic!! As for the runners, I am on my third pair this year. My first ones were due for a change because of mileage (trained for a 1/2), the second ones caused me some knee pain much to my dismay and not enough support for my high arch and my lastest ones have logged about 350km so they should last a bit longer. I don’t really go by a mileage formula. I use more of a foot pain barometer because I have an old fracture in my foot that tells me when the cushion starts to wear down. Cold winters don’t seem to be as forgiving on runners either… I don’t think they test them in -20 runs : )

85 jane August 30, 2010

love the apple ‘cupcakes’ I thought they might be good using peaches/nectarines …..?
Running shoew I went for a running analysis and they suggested 300-400 miles but to buy next pair about 50 miles before changeover so as to break them in .I love getting the new ones going !

86 Katie August 30, 2010

Angela!!! These look delish as ever! how yummy! I bet they would be yummy too with the protein pumpkin pudding in them!!!!!!!!!!!

87 Halley (Blunder Construction) August 30, 2010

I replace my sneakers whenever I start to wonder if I should, usually my bones tell me when they aren’t getting the right support anymore! I think I will start rotating between two pairs though, to make each last a little longer.

Also, I just heard this today and I thought you would enjoy: “Why do many runners pick up the pace towards the end of a run? The horse smells the barn.”

I’m sure many of us can identify with that notion!

88 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 30, 2010

I usually replace my shoes based on how they “feel”– I usually start to get more muscle aches and foot pain when I need to replace my shoes! It also usually happens to fall around the 6-month mark for me, too! I’m in a new pair of Brooks running shoes right now, and I love them!!

I actually save my “older” pair of running shoes at my mom’s house for when I visit– it’s a pain to lug multiple pairs of shoes when I travel, so having a pair of running shoes already there makes working out easier when I’m there!

89 Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 30, 2010

aw how cute are they, they look yummy!

90 erin m. @ {{well in l.a.}} August 30, 2010

Yum! Can’t wait to try the pumpkin pudding. Have you seen/tried the TJ’s pumpkin butter? It would be an awesome topping to get the pumpkin flavor if there’s no time for the pudding! Beware, the stuff is highly addictive :) Thanks for the recipe idea!

91 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 30, 2010

Those “cupcakes” are too cute- I love!! I just replaced a pair of shoes I’ve had since January. Even though I’ve taken a hiatus from running these last few months, I still wear them a lot and my funky stride really wears them down!

92 Michal August 30, 2010

I got my first pair of running shoes in tenth grade when I started track. I’m 25 and I just replaced them!
Have you ever had trouble with them loosening themselves while you run? I can’t seem to get my right foot tight enough, and to stay tight enough….

93 Natalie August 30, 2010

Those are the cutest little things!

I used to work at a running store. The general rule is that you should replace them every year if you run about ten miles a week. If you run significantly more, like twenty or so miles a week, you should replace them every six months.

It’s not good to wait until they’re totally sad looking and falling apart to replace them. For a lot of people that leads to shin splints and other common injuries and they don’t even realize it.

94 Amelia August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes put a huge smile on my face! I can just hear what the friends will say when I make them…

I’m ashamed to admit it – but I’m going almost a year on my current runners! How bad is that!? (oh and I run almost every day!) Lately, I’ve started having weird pains in my back and hips.. do you think that could be from the lack of support?

Love the blog!

95 Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 30, 2010

Hey there i made your Fudgy Brownies at the wknd, i blogged about them and posted the recipe, i gave you full credit and linked back to your post about them, i hope you dont mind, check it out if you like! thanks sharing such a lovely recipe!! x

96 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 30, 2010

Those are so cute, and the best part is it’s so easy to make. Running shoes, I really need to replace mine I wear them far too long.

97 AGS August 30, 2010

I am very careful to purchase running shoes on a regular basis. I’ve had some pain in my hip (and now heel) of my left leg, and I find that running shoes that are in good shape are imperative to avoiding this pain.

It’s pretty easy to estimate when you need new sneakers:
1. Estimate your miles for a month
Example: When I’m in good running form, I run about 24 miles/week, so that’s about 100/month.
2. Estimate your sneakers’ “age”: 100 miles = youth; 300 miles = middle age; 600 miles = geriatric
Example: If I want to replace my shoes at 300-400 miles (because I have some hip issues), I need to replace them every 4th month.
3. Adjust your estimate for terrain and other factors (inserts):
Example: In the winter I run indoors on the treadmill, and I use very good inserts (which I sometimes replace prior to the sneaker itself), so that adds about 1-2 months on to sneakers’ longevity. So, I can replace them every 5-6 months.

This has worked for me for some time — it might work as a “cheat” on figuring out when to replace your sneakers.

98 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 30, 2010

Love the apple cupcakes! They’re so cute, too. What a great idea for a healthy snack. And I’d say it’s time for new shoes. Usually when I need them, I can just feel it. A little less bounce in my step. We like to rotate our shoes. We get like two pairs and wear them every other run. Works out pretty well . . .

99 karen August 30, 2010

those apple cupcakes look so yummy !!

to answer your question – for me the sign to change my running shoes is a pain in one of my knee – meaning the support inside is worn down (even if the outside looks “perfect”) – I need extra support and when I start to feel the pain I know I need to change them- (once a year when i started running) – the shoes I have now ran with me 2 half and the trainnings + all summer so I think I might change them before winter.

thanks for you great recipes…

100 Chelsea at Striking Balance August 30, 2010

Yum those apple cupcakes look great! So creative!

I replace my running shoes about once every year to year and a half…I should replace them sooner though! I figure since I don’t actually run in them that often, they are probably okay. Even though I do still workout in them about 5 days a week, it is never usually high impact.

101 Betty August 30, 2010

I’ve heard 500 miles or 6 months also. I know it’s time for me to buy new ones. I ran 7.5 miles on Saturday and I could tell a huge difference in the support. I also have noticed that I have to tie my shoes tighter and tighter to keep them tied.

102 Melissa August 30, 2010

Funny you should post this now — I JUST bought new runners. I felt the same way; the old ones weren’t completely falling apart, but the support just isn’t there. Got a new pair of Asics from the Running Room — they are fabulous! Took them out for a run last night.

Ohhh how I love your blog!

103 Gillian August 30, 2010

I had something like this last night to break my fast (I’m a muslim and it’s the holy month of Ramadan) . But, as a filling, I melted some chocolate chips with coconut oil, mixed in chia seeds, coconut, crunchy peanut butter and a bit of oatmeal to make it thick. It was delicous and I’m going to try the same mixture on a banana tonight as a snack. :)

104 Shelby Stidham August 30, 2010

Very creative but perhaps not that aesthetically appealing? :)

105 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 30, 2010

I try to replace my running shoes every 300 miles or 6 months – but sometimes I have to do it sooner. You can just tell when they’re wearing away or when your feet start to hurt. Time to re-up!

106 Sara Stainbrook August 30, 2010

LOVE those apple cupcakes! So cute and fun… and what a great project to do with little ones to get them in the kitchen!

As for replacing running shoes, In the past I always traded ’em in every 6 months or so. But this last time around I got a new pair and some vibrams and have found that I actually enjoy running in the older pair better! The newer ones have way to much cushion especially after running in the Vibrams too!

107 Emily August 30, 2010

I LOVE the cupcakes! What a fun thing to do with kids too. I always go to the running store and have them tell me if my shoes are done. Like someone else mentioned, they will try and bend them backwards (toe to shoe laces) and if they go 90 degrees or more they’re done. One time I went and they told me my shoes were okay, I just needed an insert. They were right, no aches after that. I wear Brooks too. I heard they only make running shoes so its their only focus which is neat.

108 Kelly August 30, 2010

Sadly I replace mine way too frequently. I haven’t yet decided (even after 2 years of running) what “my perfect shoe” is! I’ve made it to at least 200 on this last pair, so I don’t feel too bad about it.

109 larinna August 30, 2010

WOW! These look amazing! Finding a delicious healthy sweet snack is always hard, but I cant wait to try this recipe.

-Larinna
iheartspandex.com

110 Shawna August 31, 2010

OMG! These look devine, healthy and you are totally right – the perfect treat for kids and adults ;) I will definitely be posting on my blog to share with my friends. We are constantly sharing great healthy recipe ideas. Thanks for sharing!

111 sarah marie August 31, 2010

I buy new shoes every 300 to 400 miles. Shoes have gotten so much better in the last 4 years even. It used to be 300 miles max. Which in college I blew through two pairs a summer. If you have the budget (and you run everyday) it’s best to rotate your shoes. But that’s posh running or for the elites. I actually just bought my new standbys, the Sauncony Triumph 7s, again yesterday.

112 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 31, 2010

Love those different versions of cupcakes, yum!

I usually know when it’s time to replace my shoes, because my knees start telling me so. Usually around 300-400 miles. I just bought a new pair due to the fact I was in another shoe, a stability shoe, Asics Kayano and my knee was actually hurting, so I went back to my trusty Asics Gel Nimbus, a neutral shoe and wah-la, no more pain! Woohoo!

113 Kait September 1, 2010

The apple cupcakes are such a cute and fun idea! I just moved into my college over the weekend and have taken a lot of your great recipes (such as VOO :) ) with me! I can’t wait to try these this week!

114 Ellen@FirednFabulous September 1, 2010

This.is.GENIUS. Even though you can’t take all the credit, yours looks FAB. What a great idea. I’m totally game for anything that involves cupcakes…even if it’s just in the name :) I replace my running shoes once a year, and sometimes I even go longer! I have flat feet, and I can always tell when I need a new pair when my arches start hurting. If I wasn’t so broke, I’d probably get a new pair every 8-9 months.

115 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 1, 2010

Love the idea of apple cupcakes! Definitely going to give those a try!

116 cheryl September 5, 2010

I usually replace when I can tell they are not performing any more, right now I am very heavy and my feet kill me just going on long walks and on my Gazelle Edge, I need some thing to cushion my feet, I just bought a pair of Asics gel. I had read they are really good, however the ones I bout are the less expensive model and they are a great shoe, just not at my 250 pounds. Can some one tell me what to get,? I would walk much longer and further if my feet did not hurt, cost is a factor to since I am not working due to an extended illness. Please help size 9 ladies.!!

117 Morrita September 5, 2010

Great idea!….Never thought about it before. Hmmmm

118 Amykinz September 10, 2010

I have issues with the arches of my feet cramping up when I’m exercising. Does anyone know why? Is it my shoes? It’s really frustrating!

119 tasha - The Clean Eating Mama September 13, 2010

What a fun and simple recipe! I love eating apples and nut butter together. The perfect combo!

120 Kelly April 5, 2013

I replace my running shoes when my knees or ankles start to bother me & sure enough it’s about every 3-4 months. I’ve also been told that even while not being used the support breaks down and that’s why buying several pair if they are on sale & saving them for 3-6 months isn’t a good idea. Also I have found over many years of running that a good running shoe does not need to be broken in. I can go out & run 6 miles on a brand new shoe without a problem.

121 http://www.banketto.com/ April 23, 2013

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely
picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, since I experienced
to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective
exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.

122 Chloe December 5, 2014

I had read a comment stating they are a little hard to get on and off when new, but it gets easier. that is correct. Otherwise, they are comfortable, warm and very cute with jeans.