How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

20100829IMG 1664 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

This was a REALLY tough one to guess!

20100829IMG 1665 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Apple cupcakes.

20100829IMG 1660 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I saw this idea in one of Martha’s magazines at my sister’s place and I knew I had to make them immediately! All I could think about was how much kids would enjoy these fun apple ‘cupcakes’.

20100829IMG 1652 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Or 27 year old kids. ;)

Apple Cupcakes

Adapted from Martha.

Ingredients:

Directions: Core apple and cut in half. Place apple cut side up and add a layer of nut butter, cobbler, and coconut on one half. On the other half add a big scoop of ‘icing’ (aka pudding!) and then cobbler and coconut. If making a bunch for a party, serve in jumbo muffin liners on a serving tray.

20100829IMG 1656 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I had my apple cupcakes with 2/3 of a not-yet-existing Glo bar.

20100829IMG 1657 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I looooooved this cupcake idea. So fun. Can’t you just see these at a kids birthday party or at a baby shower?

20100829IMG 1667 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

And of course the topping ideas are endless! Nut butter, pudding, granola, yogurt, VOO, etc!

20100829IMG 1668 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

After digesting, I hit the road for a short and sweet 5k run.

run5k thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

A great run and it was over before I knew it began.

How often do you replace your running shoes?

Over the past few weeks I have been suspecting that I need to order another pair of running shoes. I searched online for information on when to replace them because I wasn’t really sure! In the past, I have simply replaced them when they got really, really worn down or holes in them, but even though my Brooks sneakers are currently still intact I have noticed that they don’t feel the same anymore and don’t have the same support.

How did I know this? Because lately I have been tying my shoelaces tighter and tighter just to obtain the support I need and I never had to do this before. I have also noticed a few aches and pains in my foot that I never had previously.

I found an article on Running.about.com and it says that you should replace your runners every 300-400 miles (other articles say 300-550 or every 3-6 months, so it varies a lot!). I did a quick tally of my mileage since I bought the shoes mid-March and I have run over 310 miles on these sneakers. It has been exactly 6 months too!

I run outdoors which is harder on shoes and I also run on rougher terrain at times (gravel and lots of hills/declines); both of these factors can wear your shoes down faster.

There are also lots of tests you can do on your sneakers to check for wear and tear (found here).

So it looks like all signs point to ordering a new pair ASAP! What better excuse to gather up all our old sneakers and donate them to a good cause too.

I think it is important to keep in mind that the above articles are simply recommendations and rules of thumb. It is always important to listen to how your body feels most importantly and trust your gut.

How often do you replace your sneakers?

Jessica @ How Sweet August 30, 2010

That is so creative! I am definitely going to try that one day this week.

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) August 30, 2010

those apples look so good. i’m sad i already ate breakfast ’cause i’d totally eat those! :)

Kristina @ spabettie August 30, 2010

those ‘muffins’ are so cute – you can always count on Martha for unique ideas! :) This would be a great thing for a party…

Usually I can tell my runners need to be replaced when they start splitting a the tread somewhere… thankfully I don’t usually have pain to tell me. :)

Kayla August 30, 2010

CUTE apple cupcakes! Love that idea!

I let my running shoes get really dirty and old before I replace them! But if I notice that they don’t give as much support as they used to, it’s time for a new pair! I don’t like getting new running shoes because you have to break them in and it’s harder to run in a new pair.

Marina August 30, 2010

What a great idea!
I once stuffed apples with cottage cheese/egg/oat mixture, and baked them for about half an hour. Not exactly vegan, but I’m sure it can be veganized :) It was really yummy

Emily August 30, 2010

Oooooh sounds delicious. That’s got me thinking… “Inside out apple pie” I may have to work on that recipe!

Lynn @ The Next Chapter August 30, 2010

Love the apple cupcakes, what a cute idea! :)

Jennifer August 30, 2010

What a terrific idea to use up the apples I’m going to buy at the apple orchard this year! I love how apples are so versatile! Thanks

kristy @ kristyruns.com August 30, 2010

Omg. Those apple cupcakes are beautiful! :) I replace my running shoes every 350 to 400 miles. My legs can usually tell me when i need a new pair.

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 30, 2010

Ooohh those cupcakes look so good! Healthiest I’ve ever seen :p
I’m yet to replace my running shoes..but I’ve made a good 6months+, so I probably should! Definetly before my marathon at least :s

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 30, 2010

I love swimming because I only need to replace my suits when the elastic in the straps becomes stretched, exposed, and sticky, or when the suit becomes see through. Polyester suits last forever.

Those apple cupcakes look so good! As per usual, I want to lick all the frosting off. Always my favorite part!

Lizzie August 30, 2010

Cute idea!

Ironically enough I just ordered a new pair of shoes last week! I agree with the 300-500 or 3-6 months, whichever comes first. I haven’t had a very high mileage this summer as last summer, but do have a 1/2 in 3 week (eeeep!) and after my long run the other day I noticed that my ankle was feeling ‘weak’ again. I know that I need to be more consistent with my stretching, but part of my also remembered that I hadn’t bought new shoes since March. So hopefully a combination of those two things should strengthen the area. There’s the whole barefoot theory now and I see a lot of people doing it, so that’s also another option. But maybe not so much if you’re running on rough terrain like you mentioned.

Joslyn @ missfitbliss August 30, 2010

This is adorable!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 30, 2010

I thought it was just going to be muffins — that would have been too easy. Those are so cute! And much more healthy and filling too!

I replace my running shoes 1-2x per year, depending on how many races I have, how often I am running, etc. During marathon training I do follow the 300 mile rule, and I had the same “feelings” as you: my feet weren’t feeling great, I had to tie them very tightly, etc.

Nicole - yuppie yogini August 30, 2010

When I was running longer distances I religiously changed shoes every 4 months/500 miles.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad August 30, 2010

I’ve gotten to the point where I can just tell I need new shoes. Usually I will begin to feel more pressure in my knees. I also look at the bottom to see how worn the treads are. Checking out the side gel pockets is important too!

I never get rid of my “old” running shoes right away. I keep them around to wear on walks or during strength training. This way my running shoes are stricly for running. They last a lot longer this way!!

Briana August 30, 2010

Yum, Yum, Y U M ! ! ! I need to make these immediately !!

FitSugar August 30, 2010

Keep on running! Your times are improving, which is so great. If I am running a lot I change my shoes about every four months, but it takes me much longer to actually throw them out. I use them to “run” errands and chores around the house. When I have a whole bunch I take them to the Nike store to have them recycled into tracks.

Rachael @ Houston Health Blogs August 30, 2010

I’ve always heard every 6 months if you are active… I love new sneekers.

Emily August 30, 2010

Cutest cupcakes, they look delicious; I wonder about baking the apples inthe winter. As for running shoes I just replaced mine because I was noticing some aches and feeling that my arches and ankles were not as supported. I usually go by feeling and then weigh my decision on how long it’s been

Christine August 30, 2010

SO cute!! I squealed at my desk!

Totally making one tomorrow to take to work!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 30, 2010

I’m definitely looking for a good pair of running shoes myself. Is there any particular brand that is better than others?

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute!!! I love the idea, I’m going to make some soon!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute!

I am a loyal fan of Asics running shoes, and I follow a mix of the 300-500 mile recommendation and a ‘looking at the soles’ sort of rule. If I can see that there is a lot of wear, I do a rough calculation of how far I’ve probably run in them based on the number of times per week and my average run distance. Since most of my running is done indoors, my current pair seem to be lasting longer than usual. I think I purchased them in April, and they’re still in fairly good shape. If you’re looking to replace yours and experiment with other brands, I highly recommend Asics! :)

Lizzie August 30, 2010

I second the Asics. I have used the Gel Nimbus 10 and now 11 (I was sneaky and ordered the 11 rather than the 12 as it was $50 cheaper b/c it’s being phased out). Great shoe! Only got into them as they were one of three choices from a fitting at my local store.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 30, 2010

Martha has truly stumbled upon a healthy cupcake. Who knew there was such a thing! Looks delicious though :)

I replace my shoes based solely on feel; I can definitely tell when I need a new pair. I currently only have one pair that I am using, but I am tempted to get another so that I can alternate pairs for each run. I’ve heard that this helps by putting stress on different points on your lower legs, instead of having one pair that puts stress on the same points every time.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 30, 2010

those are adorable! you seriously make the cutest breakfasts :)

as for the running shoes, i usually aim for every 4-6 months, but that’s because i typically am walking more and therefore don’t put the same amount of stress on them as someone who runs consistently!

Kelly August 30, 2010

Love those cupcakes!! Such a cute idea. I can’t wait to have kids and feed them all these healthy snacks :)

I replace running shoes about once a year.. but I am not as hardcore of a runner as most people :)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious August 30, 2010

Martha has soooo many great ideas…so happy you shared this one with us! a great treat/snack for kids and adults too :)

Lily August 30, 2010

You’re supposed to take out insoles and inspect them. If they have deep depressions where your toes go (not just indentations but “troughs”), they’re shot.

I attempted to add mileage to old shoes by replacing the insoles with SuperFeet (custom “orthotic” insoles you can get at Fleet Feet or other running shops). They felt great!

Unfortunately, the shoes were shot anyway cos after about 6 weeks of running 16mi / week, the inside material imploded and rubbed blisters where they never had before. :(

Just got a new pair of trainers from Nike set as “500 milers.” I developed a neuroma this summer (have lupus & Raynaud’s complex). Doctor’s orders are to “never” run again–cycle or swim :( I’m working on keeping at or under 5-8k about once a week (walk / run now). The helpful staff at Fleet Feet set me up with Nike’s “for the gimp footed” Equalon Zoom +4. It has a super-large toe box and “air bags” under the fore-foot and sides.

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats August 30, 2010

I’ve run about 200 miles in these shoes and walked countless more. They still look okay, but I’m getting a new pair this weekend :-)

Emmanuelle August 30, 2010

Love these apple cupcakes, so cute!

As for running shoes, I’ve just started using mine, so time will tell :-)

CathyK August 30, 2010

ooo, i think i can help you today, angela! i work at the running room! :)
standard rule is to replace your shoes every 300-500 miles (600-800 k). some people can get away with more mileage, some with less. the interior of the shoe breaks down before the exterior, so you can’t really go by how a shoe looks. since you’ve had yours since march and you use them so reguarly, it’s probably time!

Lisa August 30, 2010

I’ve been competitively running for half of my life (12 years) and from my experience, the 300-400 mile range is usually a good standard to use for replacing shoes. However, I’ve known runners who consistently put many more miles on their shoes. It’s all dependent upon preference and how you feel. I think that some people break down shoes faster than other people.

Minor aches and pains and having to tie your shoelaces tighter are definitely good indicators that you may need new shoes. My philosophy has always been that is is better to err on the safe side and get new shoes, than risk injury.

If you run consistently run year-round, you’ll begin to see a pattern in when you need to replace your shoes. For example, you may find that you need to get a new pair every spring and every winter, or maybe every season.

Also, different brands of shoes tend to wear down at different rates. Don’t be surprised if you need to replace some brands faster than others.

I think it’s a great idea to donate your old shoes! Often, even after they are worn out for running, running shoes are great for everyday use.

Shanna, like Banana August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes are divine! Ther are so many ‘frostings’ you could play around with — a streudel, pb, choclate, vanilla bean (made with greek yogurt), etc.

Cute!

Wei-Wei August 30, 2010

Wow. I’m amazed that you didn’t come up with that yourself! Suuuuuuch a cute idea! I’ve only started running and I can’t log mileage yet (I don’t even know how far I run everytime… just how long!) so I don’t know. Glad you told us the warning signs, though!

Dawn August 30, 2010

I buy a couple new pairs of runners per year. Right now, I’m working in a new pair of Brooks that I just love! My Nike Frees just weren’t good with the half-marathon training…!

Angela, (or anyone else reading) do you your Garmin to check where your heart rate was during your runs? Just wondering. That’s what I’m using mine for, trying to bring mine down. When you’re doing your long distance runs, what % of your heart rate max are you at? I’m finding that I’m between 90-100% of my HRmax, although my perceived exertion level is only about a 7 or 8 – I don’t feel like I’m working THAT hard. Weird. And, I’m in good shape and have been running for over 5 months, plus doing many other fitness classes etc. Any feedback??

Thanks, Dawn :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 30, 2010

I usually wait about a year to a year and a half to replace my runners. I never think about it too much.

faith @ gracefulfitness August 30, 2010

Not often enough! This is the one area in my fitness life where I actually have some guilt. As a personal trainer, I recommend that my clients replace their shoes every 6 months at least. I, myself have been known to go a year of regular use before shoe shopping! Shame on me! I am not a fan of looking for shoes because my feet are very wide and stubby. However, I FINALLY got a new pair a few weeks ago and now look forward to my runs just because of my shoes. I just have to remember this feeling next time I am putting of a trip to the sports store!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes are so cute! What a great treat, and way healthier than a real cupcake! I am really bad about replacing my running sneakers. I never remember and then I start to get pains in places I never did before and only then am I like Oh! its been almost a year sinceI got new running sneakers! Duh! I run a fair amount too so I really need to be more on top of that!

Jess August 30, 2010

OMG Ang those apples looks delicious! I might have to go home and try that right away!

I tend to replace my shoes about every 300 miles too because that’s when I start to notice the support going. I can usually tell when it’s time for new shoes because I get seriously bad shin splints.

Kristie @ cookeatburn August 30, 2010

For shoe replacement for me it has depended on what shoes I’m wearing and how long of runs I do. When I first started running and just did 3-5 mile runs max, I could wear shoes for 500 miles without a problem. But now that I do longer runs, I think my legs and feet can just feel when they need more support or a new shoe. Last time I started having shin pain (something I’d never had issues with before) and even though my shoes were only at 250 miles, I replaced them and as soon as I did the shin pain was gone! And the Brooks shoes I’ve had have worn down faster than Nikes, so yeah, it all just seems to vary :). I’d say it sounds like you’re due for a pair though!

Page 1 of 3123»