In Tune

Good morning!

It looks like my long run on Friday and lack of sleep on the weekend really did me in because my body is not bouncing back as quickly as it usually does. I am feeling quite run down this morning!

The difference between me now and pre-injury (January 2009) is that I now listen to my body as much as I can. I feel more in tune with my body and I can tell when it is not 100% whereas before I would have just ignored all signs. I find that running when I am not feeling my best leads to longer recovery time and more stress on the immune system.

My solution is rest, eat healthy, Green Monster it up, laugh, smile, and be good to yourself. You only get one of you! My run will be waiting for me when I am ready.

What didn’t have to wait is a delicious breakfast.

I haven’t had a Vegan Overnight Oats Parfait since before my Chicago trip. The excitement overwhelmed me.

20100823-IMG_0975

High Protein Chocolate Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 serving Vega chocolate protein powder
  • 1.25 cup Almond milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • Banana soft serve
  • Unsweet coconut, to garnish
  • Pumpkin seeds, to garnish

Directions: In a small to medium sized bowl mix the oats, chia seeds, protein powder, and milk with a whisk until all clumps are gone. Now add the pumpkin and stir well. Place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight. In the morning make the banana soft serve by processing 1 frozen banana in food processor with a splash of almond milk. Layer your parfait and top with coconut and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!

Oh Banana soft serve it has been too long, too long, my dear friend!

20100823-IMG_0959

The high protein chocolate pumpkin VOO!

20100823-IMG_0962

Do I even have to say this was delish? :)

20100823-IMG_0970

I had a mixture of Teaopia chia mate and Four O’Clock Japanese Sencha loose leaf teas.

20100823-IMG_0985

20100823-IMG_0977

It’s that time again! I missed last week due to traveling, but I am back with some great health and fitness links from the past week.

Health News Round Up

Spottings:

Today’s question: Do you feel like you are in tune with your body’s needs? Do you find it easy or hard to listen to your body?

1 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 23, 2010

I love your health news! I feel like I am fairly in tune with my body’s needs and am learning more and more every day about how to actually listen to it :-) Rest is a big component that can be hard to attend to.

2 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 23, 2010

i have really learned that most of the time, when i want things that are bad for me, it’s because of something else (i.e. stress, frustration, boredom). i think once i recognize that it’s easy to remedy the actual issue and THEN reevaluate food choices!

3 Shanna, like Banana August 23, 2010

I’m terrible at listening to my body…I can never tell if my body is telling me something or if my mind is using it as an excuse…weird!

4 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 23, 2010

I am just now beginning to like VOO – first time was a total flop but last time turned out pretty well. I love the idea of adding the banana soft-serve – how could it be bad after that?!

I usually find it pretty hard to listen to my body because I’m stubborn, if my mind is telling me something I usually want to listen – I’m getting better and better as time passes, however.

5 Jessica @ How Sweet August 23, 2010

I am definitely in tune with my body. It took a while to get here, but I finally am!

6 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 23, 2010

Did you put a fake twig in there?

7 Heather August 23, 2010

Thanks for the HLB love, Ange! It’s so nice to know that our blends are as passionate about this amazing community as we are at HealthyLivingBlogs.com. =) xo

8 Lizzie August 23, 2010

I would say I am more in tune with my body in terms of exercise than food. You’re always a helpful reminder – a couple of weeks ago I did a long run and the next morning (when I would usually get up to swim before work), I told my husband I was too tired, needed sleep and he could head off to the gym himself :) But I felt better for it. I still need to listen more in terms of food though – I know when I am craving veggies or fruit and act appropriately, but sometimes eating out I know I want one thing, but will order something totally different and end up regretting it later (even if it was healthy). I think some of it has to do with portion size and less with the actual food.

9 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 23, 2010

I love all of your links, and thanks for the links to my blog too :)

I am not at the point of being in tune with my body completely, although I think I am getting there! I still struggle with figuring out how much my body needs — I am good with food choices, but food amounts is another story.

When my body is hurting though, I need to rest — that much I have learned and mastered!

10 Rachael @ Houston Health Blogs August 23, 2010

I am learning to listen to my body… one day at a time!

11 Christine August 23, 2010

Wow that’s a lot of goodness in one glass!

Do you fear you’ll not want VOO & banana soft serve onces the weather turns? We’ve had a couple of dreary days recently here, and as good as that looks, I don’t think it will do it for me in the fall.

Salt & Vinegar chickpeas sound like a find to me – nicely spotted!

12 Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 23, 2010

I’m still learning to listen to my body. There are days that I start to feel guilty over things, but then I remind myself that I would feel more guilty if I treated my own body badly.

13 Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 23, 2010

I love what you said about running and listening to your body. I definitely need to do that more, but it’s so easy to get caught up in weekly mileage.

14 Emily August 23, 2010

I am totally feeling you on being in-tune with your body, especially today! I have been pushing pretty hard with my workouts the past few days, feeling like I needed to get much more out of each workout. I could tell I was getting worn down but made one last trip to the gym yesterday after work. I could tell when I got home and finally stopped and rested that I was in need of some serious recovery. I am taking my day off today and dedicating it to some serious R&R! It’s funny how we know we’re heading for over-doing exercise and keep pushing; and then our body tells us to STOP AND SLOW DOWN! I am finally starting to listen :)

15 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 23, 2010

I feel like I’m in tune with my body’s needs. In yoga we’re taught to “give out bodies what they need, not what they want.” whenever we think we can push ourselves just a tad bit further but want to give up…but not going to the extreme and wearing ourselves out, you know? And food wise I definitely give it what it needs along with what it wants. I’m not going to deny myself a little ice cream if it’s what my body wants..but I’ll make it healthy because it’s what it needs.

16 The Wife of a Dairyman August 23, 2010

I am a firm believer of listening to your body and being in tune with it. Your body tells all, you just need to listen to it :)

17 Corey - The Runner's Cookie August 23, 2010

It took me a long time to master the art of listening to my body. I used to get anxiety if I didn’t get to work out, but now I am SO much more relaxed about it and know that rest and recovery are incredibly important.
Occasionally, with running pain/discomfort/soreness, I still have trouble with knowing when to be tough and just “push through it” and when I really need to rest. Improvement requires some level of discomfort, but it’s important to be aware of when your body is telling you “this is just too much!”
It’s so inspiring/amazing the mental journey that you have taken with your attitude about your body (from reading your About page). Your confidence and health shines through so much on all of your posts, Angela!

18 Michelle August 23, 2010

Thanks for the link love! I feel like I do a good job listening to my body. I don’t always do a good job listening to people that tell me not to run in freezing cold weather with ice on the ground (good sense and logic are not alive when I’m training for something) ;)

19 Emmanuelle August 23, 2010

I realize that I’m more in tune with my body when it comes to exercise than food: I know when to rest or when I can do what I had planned. In terms of food lately the holiday season has been a bit hectic to say the least, so I’m re-balancing now :-)

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 23, 2010

I knew it was just a matter of time before we saw the return of the overnight soft serve!! Looks good!
I’m not really the best at listening to my body, I’ll admit it. Since running typically gives me a ton of energy first thing in the morning, I usually just tell myself that I’ll feel better after I’ve done it. If I really am sore, I’ll cut down my run time or just do another lower-impact form of cardio. Having said that, Saturday is always a rest day!! :)

21 Wei-Wei August 23, 2010

I’m the worst at listening to my body especially when it comes to sleep and overeating. Practically everything, actually, maybe perhaps exercise (or the lack of it!). VOO parfait looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing! I missed it too :D

22 Amanda August 23, 2010

I’m pretty bad at listening to my body but I’m trying to get better. I struggle with when it’s my body telling me it needs a break and when it’s my mind.

23 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 23, 2010

I had to learn to listen to my body the hard way. Even though I’m not yet fully recovered from this injury I know to really pay attention when something’s off. It’s so worth it.

24 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 23, 2010

Lovin the VOO!! I think I’m pretty good at listening to my body – especially in times of stress.

25 katherine August 23, 2010

I’ve finally learned to listen to my body when it comes to exercise. I’m the first to take a rest day when my body is asking for it, and I’m so much healthier for it. Now I’m learning to listen to my body when it comes to food! It’s much harder because there’s so much “noise” around food – whether I’m eating with people or rushing from Point A to Point B, it’s tough to quiet my mind and body long enough to realize what I really want, if anything.

26 Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 23, 2010

I think I’m pretty good about listening to my body. I know what will make me sore and I’m pretty good about avoiding them. I know that when I work out hard on too little sleep I get sore faster and worse and I stay sore. Just one good nights rest and all that soreness can be gone! Its hard sometimes to see working out as something I do for my body, not a fight against it. Thats how I see it though. For me losing weight is not a battle against my body. We (my body and my mind) and on the same team so I need to listen to what its telling me. Its a little funky separating myself from “my body” like that but it helps me.

27 Nicole @ yuppie yogini August 23, 2010

You and your VOO love affair! I can’t wait til I have a break and can read the health news roundup. It’s always fun to see what other people find out there on the internet!

28 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 23, 2010

I’m loving all the pumpkin lately! You really are in a fall mood. In fact, so am I. Minnesota humid summer days should make way for the cooler temps of fall!

I would say that I only do an OK job of listening to my body. When I was training for my first half-marathon, my injuries (shin splints and IT band syndrome) hit me like a ton of bricks after my 11 mile long run. I did listen to my body and took a whole week off, and I eventually saw a sports medicine chiropractor.

Now that I am training for my second half-marathon, I am trying to listen to my body as much as possible while also sticking to my training plan. It’s been taking me a lot longer to recover from some runs this time around, which is probably due to me working a summer desk job instead of just taking law school classes. Hopefully, the training becomes easier!

29 Camille August 23, 2010

I do find it difficult to listen to my body sometimes. Years of disordered thinking got my mind and body out of sync and I am finally started to allow them to communicate again but it is hard!

30 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 23, 2010

That is one good looking batch of oats!! I’ve yet to try your recipe, but I definitely need to as soon as I get my hands on some pumpkin :)

Though I’ve gotten WAY better at listening to my body, it’s still hard for me to take a day off sometimes. I want to get to the point where I look forward to my rest days, instead of dreading them!!

Hope you have a great Monday!

31 Adina August 23, 2010

I’ve just started to listen to my body and it’s been one of the most challenging things I’ve ever attempted to do. I am an avid runner and used to run nearly every day of the week 3-6 miles a day, however running everyday and never letting my muscles recover properly or have some rest led me to have numerous injuries including a stress fracture. I wasn’t able to run at all for 8 months and certainly regretted not listening to my body or giving it the proper care it needed. It was both mentally and physically challenging for me to tell myself not to run wtih my injuries and not work out as much to allow my body to heal. Thankfully after months of physical therapy and even reading your blog helped make me realize that I needed to take much better care of my body, so thank you :) !

32 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 23, 2010

This post speaks to me, as I’m currently facing a lot of foot and leg injuries from running. Every time I feel like its time hit the pavement again, something else hurts. Yesterday, I had to stop only a half mile into run and call it a day. I’ve never done that before. But listening to my body was the right thing – I’m not in any pain today and I would have been had I finished that run.
P.S. Was reading your old posts on eustress and distress – I think I’ve read it like 10 times now – it has really helped me look at my current running plan in a new light.

33 Marina August 23, 2010

I’m not really in tune with my body, I punish it waaaay too much. Need to work on that.

34 schmei August 23, 2010

Oooh! Pumpkin! Fall is almost here… :-)

I’m getting better at listening to my body, but it’s definitely a process. Sometimes it’s tough to take a rest day when I really need it, but if it’s going to prevent and injury or burn-out it’s what I should do. I’m learning that a long walk can be really nice on days when I just don’t think I can (or should) run.

35 AGS August 23, 2010

I’m still quite a ways from treating myself with kindness and respect, but I’ve made good progress in the last few years. My biggest challenge is forgiving myself when I don’t function perfectly (or better than perfectly). I have just recently come to terms with the fact that I need a certain amount of rest, and missing a morning workout in favor of some extra sleep is OK.

I’ve been recovering from a strained muscle these last couple weeks, and that has meant little running or other activities. After gaining back some weight, and then starting to relose it, I was bummed to take a seat on the sidelines — as well as to lose a main way of handling stress. I was pretty angry and hard on myself a couple of times. BUT, I recognize what is realistic now, and at least can remind myself of this. . . I see at least recognizing healthy/unhealthy behaviors as a positive step.

36 Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit August 23, 2010

Angela I was wondering when you’re going to be giving us the coupon code for glo bars?

I think that the best time to listen to your body is when you are raiding the pantry/fridge looking for something to eat when you KNOW you’re not hungry. That is an opportune time to say “what is it that I’m needing right now?”

37 Dorry August 23, 2010

I’m definitely becoming more in tune with my body these days and it’s a great feeling. Running makes it easier for me. I’m hydrating better than ever and paying attention to salty cravings, fueling carbs and re-fueling with protein. :)

38 Sana August 23, 2010

Post- sports injury spine fracture. I have to listen to my body 100% I am sooo paranoid that I will get injured again :(

39 Danielle August 23, 2010

I am slowly learning to listen to my body more! It is hard to let go and allow yourself to trust your body completely. In the recent past I was obsessive at making sure I ate X amount of calories and did X number of workouts. But it actually drove me crazy. It made me feel guilty when I varied from the set plan at all. I now try to listen to my body and what it wants me to fuel it with. I used to feel so bad if I skipped a workout/run because I wasn’t feeling up for it. I injured my knee a few months a go and it took me a while to realize I needed to take a hiatus from running. I am slowly getting back into it and I now pay attention to what my knee can handle.

40 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 23, 2010

After spending so long completely ignoring my body’s needs, it’s been a slow process to learn to listen to it! I’m ok in the exercise department, but I still struggle with listening to my hunger and fullness cues. I know it takes work though! :)

41 Marisa @ Loser for Life August 23, 2010

I love that you listened to your body and kept a positive attitude about it! I’m not quite there yet. I try to listen, but sometimes that negative voice comes into play and messes everything up ! I’m working on being kinder to myself :)

42 Katie August 23, 2010

I’m definitely more in tune with my body now that I’m older. :) Took awhile to get their, but now that I’m here, I find it’s easier to keep weight off and ENJOY every one of my workouts! Variety and rest are key!

43 Amy August 23, 2010

I’m usually bad about listening to my body and pushing it to work or workout even when I’m sick but yesterday I got a stomach bug and can’t hold anything down and despite feeling guilty about missing the gym. I’m listening to my body and resting. Taking a few days off to get over this and then get my strength back.

44 chelsey August 23, 2010

I am much more in tune with my body than I have been in years. Hungry? Eat. Sleepy? Go to bed. Legs really sore? Take a stinkin’ day off!!

I couldn’t be happier! :)

45 KimEatandBe August 23, 2010

Hi Angela,
Those VOO’s look deelish. I have one question, b/c you inspired me to try Amazing Grass Amazing meal but now I see that you are using the Vega protein powder. Any reason for the change? Just curious!
thanks for your great site. I love it!

46 Steph@stephsbitebybite August 23, 2010

Your VOO always looks so thick and creamy and scrumptious!! I’m jealous! Mine tend to be more “blob” like and less appealing to the eye ;)

47 Gloria August 23, 2010

I guess I’m way more in tune with my body than only a couple of years ago!
Couldn’t agree more with you on the ‘not feeling your best/recovery time’ thing. Recently, I tried to get used to running again (after I broke my leg a couple of months ago) – but it just doesn’t seem to work, it húrts. My body tells me I’m going too fast basically, so I’ll have to have a little more patience! (Though it really ‘breaks my heart’, because I’m definately missing the running!)

48 Emily @ Run Emily Run August 23, 2010

I’m working on becoming more in tune with my body, though sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between what it wants and what it needs! I thought my body only wanted to rest this weekend and felt guilty for not running, but this morning I went for a fantastic run and realized I actually needed some rest this weekend after all!

49 Irene August 23, 2010

Hi Angela

It’s good that you are listening to your body. Rest well & get energized again soon.

irene

50 Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 23, 2010

I’m a whole lot more in tune with my body these days and it makes life and loosing weight sooo much easier!!

51 Dee August 23, 2010

I LOVE your teacup! Where did you buy that?

52 Michal August 23, 2010

I think I listen to my body fairly well in terms of when it needs me to do less or eat more, but I’m not as good at pushing myself when my body tells me I can do more. That is…. if my body says I can run another half mile, I’ll do it, but if my feet whine at me during that run I might let myself walk even when I know my body can handle running. I guess I have lazy feet. :-p I’m also still learning how to recognize when I’m full – especially if I’m eating pizza :-p

53 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 23, 2010

I’m definitely working on being more in tune with my body’s needs. Thanks so much for the health news roundup! I found the article on 5 ways to avoid running injuries very helpful :)

54 Caitlin August 23, 2010

OK that parfait is seriously GORGEOUS. It looks like a wonderful dessert – my goodness!

I find it to be a real balance when it comes to being in tune with my body. I know that when I am I feel SO much better. My body craves good food and exercise and when I don’t give it that, I am a cranky beast!

55 Heather McClees August 23, 2010

Hi Angela! I just want you to know when I ran this morning I thought about you. I actually cried, not because I was tired or in pain, but because I’m dealing with alot right now and I ran further than I’ve ever ran in my life today.

You can read more about it at my brand new site: http://www.heather-mcclees.com and also on my regular blog with recipes:)- http://www.thesoulfulspoon.com

Thank you for your inspiration!

Heather

56 Zoe August 23, 2010

Echoing a lot of people here – I think I’ve made a great deal of progress in listening to my body in the recent past, but it’s an uphill struggle differentiating between what your mind wants and what your body needs.

Eating and exercising in a routine manner helps a lot, as well as sticking to real food rather than snacking through mild hunger. In this respect I think you can condition your body by getting used to eating better, so hunger pangs are less frequent but more genuine when they arrive. Ploughing through sugary sweets and loading up on (too much) caffeine can leave our bodies exhausted and confused, craving more of what we don’t need.

I think the best thing to do if you feel crappy and like you’re not giving your body the right things is to step back and really force yourself to evaluate your lifestyle choices. Easier said than done, but a few of weeks of treating my body better than usual will leave me in no doubt that the difficult choices and hard-won willpower are worth it in the long run.

Sorry for the long one! I must try to make the VOO soon, they look delicious…

57 suburban housewife August 23, 2010

I listen to my body. We have a slient communication for the most part. It lets me know what it needs and when it needs it. Right now it needs more rest….so I am resting. When it’s ready to rock and roll again I’ll be right there with it since I have no place else to be. I only get one body and it’s the suitcase for my soul….

58 Leah @ Why Deprive? August 23, 2010

Thanks for the link!!
I definitely have an easier time listening to my body now than I used to. I used to know full well when something was about to go wrong, but I ignored it. I was the “push through the pain” girl, and that got me into trouble. Now I make a point of taking it easy if Im not feeling 100% – its just not worth an injury.

59 Lauren @ 40Apples August 23, 2010

This post absolutely SPEAKS to me today!! I just blogged about this: my body is just not feeling right at the moment – unfortunately I didn’t realize (or even FEEL) it until I was in a spinning class… half way through I just crashed and burned!! It’s frustrating because I am usually very good at listening to my body and being cautious about pushing myself too far. Now I am totally pooped in a bad way and I wish I hadn’t taken spin.. boo :( Ah well. It’s a lesson learned to be extra diligent in listening to my body!

Yummy breakfast :)

60 Clare August 23, 2010

Wow…this post could not have come at a better time! I’m really bad at listening to my body and am currently paying for it…On my last long run I felt this strange twinge in my hip/glute area. It didn’t really hurt so I kept going. Fast forward two days and I could not walk without hobbling, let alone run. Turns out it is piriformis syndrome, probably caused by too much mileage and/or improper stretching. Long story short; I’m going to be off of running for a while and I’m not sure what the longterm prognosis will be. Your post is a great reminder to LISTEN to the signals your body is sending you, even if they are difficult to decipher. Up until my injury, I didn’t feel run down or like I was “overdoing it” but I should have listened to that little twinge when I was running and called it a day. Now I have to drop out of the Labour day half-marathon I was planning and I am very sad. Boo.

61 Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 23, 2010

Great advice about listening more to your body’s signals. I’ve been training and have had several days recently where I just didn’t feel it. I ignored my pains and exhaustion and they’ve just gotten work. Luckily no injuries, but it’s about time to start paying more attention and respecting my body. Thanks for the reminder!

62 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 23, 2010

I think it’s great you’re listening to your body! It’s taken me a LONG time to learn that lesson– after plenty of injuries and getting run down! It’s still a struggle sometimes for me to take a “rest day” when I really WANT to run… but I know my next run will be better if I take it easy when my body says to! Plus, enjoying really healthy foods makes any day better! (esp. if it includes banana soft serve!) ;)

63 Monique@She's Going The Distance August 23, 2010

omg… are we really at the time of year for pumpkin?!?!

I’m so not ready! Where’s summer going!??!

64 Callie August 23, 2010

I’m still in the process of learning to listen to my body. Especially when it comes to food. It’s usually my mind that makes me make bad choices, not my body.

65 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope August 23, 2010

I am being more mindful of everything, and that includes being in tune with my body. Angela, I want to give thanks for a post you did a month ago because it really got my thinking about life. I discussed it here: http://www.raspberrystethoscope.com/2010/08/mindful-living.html

66 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 23, 2010

Your parfaits just getter better and better. I love the temptation of pumpkin and fall being right around the corner.

67 Steph August 23, 2010

What type of teapot do you use? I’m trying to find a good one but can’t decide. I’ve gone through too many!

68 Tracey August 23, 2010

Loving the pumpkin recipes I have been seeing lately. I am trying to hold out, but I might just have to break open a can of pumpkin this week for myself!!

69 *Andrea* August 23, 2010

so cool that so many ppl make your recipes!!! :)

70 *Andrea* August 23, 2010

omg i LOVE dried mango! i also love dried figs, pineapple, cherries, plums (prunes), grapes (Raisins)!! all sooooo good. nature’s candy!

71 M. August 23, 2010

I am recovering from an eating disorder so since I have spent so much time “ignoring” my body’s natural cues, I find it hard to listen and trust my gut (no pun intended) instinct.

On average how many calories would you consume? That parfait looks exquisite.. nutritional information please :)

72 Gyspy August 24, 2010

I am FINALLY starting to listen to my body. I recently started to make sure I have a rest day scheduled every week and I found it really helped lessen my injuries.
There is that tricky balance though of knowing when you need to stop and rest and when you’re just being lazy. But even those times when you’re just tired and being lazy I guess that kinda counts as listening to your body, huh?
I had pb&J voo parfait this morning. I don’t know if I’ll ever get sick of it! Hard finding pumpkin though lately. guess I’ll just have to stock up this fall!

73 Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 24, 2010

Aw, thank you for mentioning my post. I loved that stew. :)

74 Daniel March 29, 2015