In Tune

Good morning!

It looks like my long run on Friday and lack of sleep on the weekend really did me in because my body is not bouncing back as quickly as it usually does. I am feeling quite run down this morning!

The difference between me now and pre-injury (January 2009) is that I now listen to my body as much as I can. I feel more in tune with my body and I can tell when it is not 100% whereas before I would have just ignored all signs. I find that running when I am not feeling my best leads to longer recovery time and more stress on the immune system.

My solution is rest, eat healthy, Green Monster it up, laugh, smile, and be good to yourself. You only get one of you! My run will be waiting for me when I am ready.

What didn’t have to wait is a delicious breakfast.

I haven’t had a Vegan Overnight Oats Parfait since before my Chicago trip. The excitement overwhelmed me.

20100823IMG 0975 thumb   In Tune

High Protein Chocolate Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 serving Vega chocolate protein powder
  • 1.25 cup Almond milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • Banana soft serve
  • Unsweet coconut, to garnish
  • Pumpkin seeds, to garnish

Directions: In a small to medium sized bowl mix the oats, chia seeds, protein powder, and milk with a whisk until all clumps are gone. Now add the pumpkin and stir well. Place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight. In the morning make the banana soft serve by processing 1 frozen banana in food processor with a splash of almond milk. Layer your parfait and top with coconut and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!

Oh Banana soft serve it has been too long, too long, my dear friend!

20100823IMG 0959 thumb   In Tune

The high protein chocolate pumpkin VOO!

20100823IMG 0962 thumb   In Tune

Do I even have to say this was delish? :)

20100823IMG 0970 thumb   In Tune

I had a mixture of Teaopia chia mate and Four O’Clock Japanese Sencha loose leaf teas.

20100823IMG 0985 thumb   In Tune

20100823IMG 0977 thumb   In Tune

It’s that time again! I missed last week due to traveling, but I am back with some great health and fitness links from the past week.

Health News Round Up

Spottings:

Today’s question: Do you feel like you are in tune with your body’s needs? Do you find it easy or hard to listen to your body?

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 23, 2010

I love your health news! I feel like I am fairly in tune with my body’s needs and am learning more and more every day about how to actually listen to it :-) Rest is a big component that can be hard to attend to.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 23, 2010

i have really learned that most of the time, when i want things that are bad for me, it’s because of something else (i.e. stress, frustration, boredom). i think once i recognize that it’s easy to remedy the actual issue and THEN reevaluate food choices!

Shanna, like Banana August 23, 2010

I’m terrible at listening to my body…I can never tell if my body is telling me something or if my mind is using it as an excuse…weird!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 23, 2010

I am just now beginning to like VOO – first time was a total flop but last time turned out pretty well. I love the idea of adding the banana soft-serve – how could it be bad after that?!

I usually find it pretty hard to listen to my body because I’m stubborn, if my mind is telling me something I usually want to listen – I’m getting better and better as time passes, however.

Jessica @ How Sweet August 23, 2010

I am definitely in tune with my body. It took a while to get here, but I finally am!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 23, 2010

Did you put a fake twig in there?

Heather August 23, 2010

Thanks for the HLB love, Ange! It’s so nice to know that our blends are as passionate about this amazing community as we are at HealthyLivingBlogs.com. =) xo

Lizzie August 23, 2010

I would say I am more in tune with my body in terms of exercise than food. You’re always a helpful reminder – a couple of weeks ago I did a long run and the next morning (when I would usually get up to swim before work), I told my husband I was too tired, needed sleep and he could head off to the gym himself :) But I felt better for it. I still need to listen more in terms of food though – I know when I am craving veggies or fruit and act appropriately, but sometimes eating out I know I want one thing, but will order something totally different and end up regretting it later (even if it was healthy). I think some of it has to do with portion size and less with the actual food.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 23, 2010

I love all of your links, and thanks for the links to my blog too :)

I am not at the point of being in tune with my body completely, although I think I am getting there! I still struggle with figuring out how much my body needs — I am good with food choices, but food amounts is another story.

When my body is hurting though, I need to rest — that much I have learned and mastered!

Rachael @ Houston Health Blogs August 23, 2010

I am learning to listen to my body… one day at a time!

Christine August 23, 2010

Wow that’s a lot of goodness in one glass!

Do you fear you’ll not want VOO & banana soft serve onces the weather turns? We’ve had a couple of dreary days recently here, and as good as that looks, I don’t think it will do it for me in the fall.

Salt & Vinegar chickpeas sound like a find to me – nicely spotted!

Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 23, 2010

I’m still learning to listen to my body. There are days that I start to feel guilty over things, but then I remind myself that I would feel more guilty if I treated my own body badly.

Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 23, 2010

I love what you said about running and listening to your body. I definitely need to do that more, but it’s so easy to get caught up in weekly mileage.

Emily August 23, 2010

I am totally feeling you on being in-tune with your body, especially today! I have been pushing pretty hard with my workouts the past few days, feeling like I needed to get much more out of each workout. I could tell I was getting worn down but made one last trip to the gym yesterday after work. I could tell when I got home and finally stopped and rested that I was in need of some serious recovery. I am taking my day off today and dedicating it to some serious R&R! It’s funny how we know we’re heading for over-doing exercise and keep pushing; and then our body tells us to STOP AND SLOW DOWN! I am finally starting to listen :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 23, 2010

I feel like I’m in tune with my body’s needs. In yoga we’re taught to “give out bodies what they need, not what they want.” whenever we think we can push ourselves just a tad bit further but want to give up…but not going to the extreme and wearing ourselves out, you know? And food wise I definitely give it what it needs along with what it wants. I’m not going to deny myself a little ice cream if it’s what my body wants..but I’ll make it healthy because it’s what it needs.

The Wife of a Dairyman August 23, 2010

I am a firm believer of listening to your body and being in tune with it. Your body tells all, you just need to listen to it :)

Corey - The Runner's Cookie August 23, 2010

It took me a long time to master the art of listening to my body. I used to get anxiety if I didn’t get to work out, but now I am SO much more relaxed about it and know that rest and recovery are incredibly important.
Occasionally, with running pain/discomfort/soreness, I still have trouble with knowing when to be tough and just “push through it” and when I really need to rest. Improvement requires some level of discomfort, but it’s important to be aware of when your body is telling you “this is just too much!”
It’s so inspiring/amazing the mental journey that you have taken with your attitude about your body (from reading your About page). Your confidence and health shines through so much on all of your posts, Angela!

Michelle August 23, 2010

Thanks for the link love! I feel like I do a good job listening to my body. I don’t always do a good job listening to people that tell me not to run in freezing cold weather with ice on the ground (good sense and logic are not alive when I’m training for something) ;)

Emmanuelle August 23, 2010

I realize that I’m more in tune with my body when it comes to exercise than food: I know when to rest or when I can do what I had planned. In terms of food lately the holiday season has been a bit hectic to say the least, so I’m re-balancing now :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 23, 2010

I knew it was just a matter of time before we saw the return of the overnight soft serve!! Looks good!
I’m not really the best at listening to my body, I’ll admit it. Since running typically gives me a ton of energy first thing in the morning, I usually just tell myself that I’ll feel better after I’ve done it. If I really am sore, I’ll cut down my run time or just do another lower-impact form of cardio. Having said that, Saturday is always a rest day!! :)

Wei-Wei August 23, 2010

I’m the worst at listening to my body especially when it comes to sleep and overeating. Practically everything, actually, maybe perhaps exercise (or the lack of it!). VOO parfait looks amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing! I missed it too :D

Amanda August 23, 2010

I’m pretty bad at listening to my body but I’m trying to get better. I struggle with when it’s my body telling me it needs a break and when it’s my mind.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 23, 2010

I had to learn to listen to my body the hard way. Even though I’m not yet fully recovered from this injury I know to really pay attention when something’s off. It’s so worth it.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 23, 2010

Lovin the VOO!! I think I’m pretty good at listening to my body – especially in times of stress.

katherine August 23, 2010

I’ve finally learned to listen to my body when it comes to exercise. I’m the first to take a rest day when my body is asking for it, and I’m so much healthier for it. Now I’m learning to listen to my body when it comes to food! It’s much harder because there’s so much “noise” around food – whether I’m eating with people or rushing from Point A to Point B, it’s tough to quiet my mind and body long enough to realize what I really want, if anything.

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 23, 2010

I think I’m pretty good about listening to my body. I know what will make me sore and I’m pretty good about avoiding them. I know that when I work out hard on too little sleep I get sore faster and worse and I stay sore. Just one good nights rest and all that soreness can be gone! Its hard sometimes to see working out as something I do for my body, not a fight against it. Thats how I see it though. For me losing weight is not a battle against my body. We (my body and my mind) and on the same team so I need to listen to what its telling me. Its a little funky separating myself from “my body” like that but it helps me.

Nicole @ yuppie yogini August 23, 2010

You and your VOO love affair! I can’t wait til I have a break and can read the health news roundup. It’s always fun to see what other people find out there on the internet!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 23, 2010

I’m loving all the pumpkin lately! You really are in a fall mood. In fact, so am I. Minnesota humid summer days should make way for the cooler temps of fall!

I would say that I only do an OK job of listening to my body. When I was training for my first half-marathon, my injuries (shin splints and IT band syndrome) hit me like a ton of bricks after my 11 mile long run. I did listen to my body and took a whole week off, and I eventually saw a sports medicine chiropractor.

Now that I am training for my second half-marathon, I am trying to listen to my body as much as possible while also sticking to my training plan. It’s been taking me a lot longer to recover from some runs this time around, which is probably due to me working a summer desk job instead of just taking law school classes. Hopefully, the training becomes easier!

Camille August 23, 2010

I do find it difficult to listen to my body sometimes. Years of disordered thinking got my mind and body out of sync and I am finally started to allow them to communicate again but it is hard!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 23, 2010

That is one good looking batch of oats!! I’ve yet to try your recipe, but I definitely need to as soon as I get my hands on some pumpkin :)

Though I’ve gotten WAY better at listening to my body, it’s still hard for me to take a day off sometimes. I want to get to the point where I look forward to my rest days, instead of dreading them!!

Hope you have a great Monday!

Adina August 23, 2010

I’ve just started to listen to my body and it’s been one of the most challenging things I’ve ever attempted to do. I am an avid runner and used to run nearly every day of the week 3-6 miles a day, however running everyday and never letting my muscles recover properly or have some rest led me to have numerous injuries including a stress fracture. I wasn’t able to run at all for 8 months and certainly regretted not listening to my body or giving it the proper care it needed. It was both mentally and physically challenging for me to tell myself not to run wtih my injuries and not work out as much to allow my body to heal. Thankfully after months of physical therapy and even reading your blog helped make me realize that I needed to take much better care of my body, so thank you :) !

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 23, 2010

This post speaks to me, as I’m currently facing a lot of foot and leg injuries from running. Every time I feel like its time hit the pavement again, something else hurts. Yesterday, I had to stop only a half mile into run and call it a day. I’ve never done that before. But listening to my body was the right thing – I’m not in any pain today and I would have been had I finished that run.
P.S. Was reading your old posts on eustress and distress – I think I’ve read it like 10 times now – it has really helped me look at my current running plan in a new light.

Marina August 23, 2010

I’m not really in tune with my body, I punish it waaaay too much. Need to work on that.

schmei August 23, 2010

Oooh! Pumpkin! Fall is almost here… :-)

I’m getting better at listening to my body, but it’s definitely a process. Sometimes it’s tough to take a rest day when I really need it, but if it’s going to prevent and injury or burn-out it’s what I should do. I’m learning that a long walk can be really nice on days when I just don’t think I can (or should) run.

AGS August 23, 2010

I’m still quite a ways from treating myself with kindness and respect, but I’ve made good progress in the last few years. My biggest challenge is forgiving myself when I don’t function perfectly (or better than perfectly). I have just recently come to terms with the fact that I need a certain amount of rest, and missing a morning workout in favor of some extra sleep is OK.

I’ve been recovering from a strained muscle these last couple weeks, and that has meant little running or other activities. After gaining back some weight, and then starting to relose it, I was bummed to take a seat on the sidelines — as well as to lose a main way of handling stress. I was pretty angry and hard on myself a couple of times. BUT, I recognize what is realistic now, and at least can remind myself of this. . . I see at least recognizing healthy/unhealthy behaviors as a positive step.

Leanne @ Radiant Balanced & Fit August 23, 2010

Angela I was wondering when you’re going to be giving us the coupon code for glo bars?

I think that the best time to listen to your body is when you are raiding the pantry/fridge looking for something to eat when you KNOW you’re not hungry. That is an opportune time to say “what is it that I’m needing right now?”

Dorry August 23, 2010

I’m definitely becoming more in tune with my body these days and it’s a great feeling. Running makes it easier for me. I’m hydrating better than ever and paying attention to salty cravings, fueling carbs and re-fueling with protein. :)

Sana August 23, 2010

Post- sports injury spine fracture. I have to listen to my body 100% I am sooo paranoid that I will get injured again :(

Danielle August 23, 2010

I am slowly learning to listen to my body more! It is hard to let go and allow yourself to trust your body completely. In the recent past I was obsessive at making sure I ate X amount of calories and did X number of workouts. But it actually drove me crazy. It made me feel guilty when I varied from the set plan at all. I now try to listen to my body and what it wants me to fuel it with. I used to feel so bad if I skipped a workout/run because I wasn’t feeling up for it. I injured my knee a few months a go and it took me a while to realize I needed to take a hiatus from running. I am slowly getting back into it and I now pay attention to what my knee can handle.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 23, 2010

After spending so long completely ignoring my body’s needs, it’s been a slow process to learn to listen to it! I’m ok in the exercise department, but I still struggle with listening to my hunger and fullness cues. I know it takes work though! :)

Page 1 of 212»