Fueling For Long Runs

Good morning!

I got up and got my long run out of the way this morning. It was a clear and crisp morning (around 19C). I had a Run Glo Bar before heading out for some fuel.

The run:

• Distance: 8 miles
  • Time: 1 hour 12 mins 22 secs.
  • Avg pace: 9:02 min/mile

Mile splits are in the chart below…note that I ran each mile faster than the previous ones! This took some hard core sprinting at the end of miles 5-8 to achieve this goal.

Untitled thumb2   Fueling For Long Runs

It might be the strongest run I have had since my 3rd half marathon on May 30th! My music highlight today was a way back play back- Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl. Love it!

Fueling For Long Runs:

When I do a long run over 6 miles, I always bring some food with me for fuel. Today I brought two medjool dates (chopped and pitted and in a bag) and I had half at mile 6 and the rest at mile 7. It gave me such a boost!

I have been thinking about trying coconut water for my long runs because I have heard so many great things about it. Has anyone used it before and want to share their thoughts?

When I got home I made a huge, delicious, mouth-watering green monster in Her-Mix-A-Lot! Mmmmmmm.

IMG 4623 thumb   Fueling For Long Runs

Post-Run Green Monster:

• 2 cups spinach
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 tsp maca powder
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp coconut butter

It was INCREDIBLE! Highly recommended for post-run replenishment.

It’s that time again. Some of my favourite health links over the past week…enjoy!

Health News Round Up

Spotted:

Today’s question: How do you fuel for long-runs? What works for you?

Well, I’m off to get ready for the Antique Market. Very excited. I will bring the camera and show you what treasures we come across! Enjoy your day.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 1, 2010

I love the -ive splits on your run – amazing!
If I’m doing longer than 7miles, I bring something with me (normally dates!). If I’m doing double figures, I’ll have raisins or a Nakd bar (like a Larabar, but better :p). Today I was a bit different though – 12miles, lucozade sport, and rice cakes. Worked a charm!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) August 1, 2010

Dude, you showed that last mile who’s BOSS!
My longest run to date has been 4 miles, which I did yesterday with the help of my new CamelBak. Having water with me definitely help me get through a longer run. I’m still getting the hang of it (mostly, where to keep the mouthpiece and tube), but I like it so far.
How do you handle cleaning your CamelBak? I opened the bladder for the leftover water to dry out last night, but it’s still there. I’m scurred of mildew!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 1, 2010

Rhea,
I don’t use a camelback for my runs(thinking about it though), however, I and my hubby use a camelback when we cycle. When I initially started using the camelback, I would empty what water was left in them and just put a wooden spoon or like a whisk inside to keep it opened up and hung it upside down so it would dry. Eventually I bought a cleaning kit though.

Ameena August 1, 2010

Dates are really a fantastic source of energy and it is an instant one too! And I prefer them to energy bars or Larabars because they obviously haven’t been processed at all. They are great for long runs or even when I don’t have time to eat properly!

Wei-Wei August 1, 2010

Wow wow wow what an AMAZING run! I can’t believe you ran that last mile at that pace! You’re seriously amazing!

Wei-Wei

Marianne August 1, 2010

I drink coconut water occasionally after my longer runs but don’t think it provides the sodium replacement I need during or after a long run. It is very high in potassium compared to numerous sport drinks but not sodium which I need since I live down south (Alabama) and sweat buckets. I am still hunting out the right sports drink for me…

Jacquelynn August 1, 2010

Hey Angela! In regards to coconut water….llllooooovvvveeee it! It is so hydrating, and is great after a workout. I have been drinking it for a few years. It is also really good to cure a hangover (hee hee)! :)

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats August 1, 2010

I have loved that song ever since I first heard it on Dance Dance Revolution!
I am a pretty novice runner, so I don’t usually do more than 3 or 4 miles at a time. And, since that is less than an hour, I do not take any food or water with me when I run (where would I put it anyway?!), but recently I have been eating a square or two of high-quality dark chocolate about half an hour before I run.

Gail August 1, 2010

I also eat a square of two of dark chocolate (85% dark) before my run. If it doesn’t provide a physical push for my run, it definitely provides a mental push. I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!! Any excuse to eat it :0)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 1, 2010

I can’t really comment on the long runs (I am a running wimp) but I am excited that you’re going to an antique market! I LOVE antiques but have never heard of a market for them! I hope you take lots of pictures!!

tanyasDailyProductReviews August 1, 2010

It depends on the time of day and the weather plays a role also.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 1, 2010

I dont run anymore cause of my knees but before an intense workout I fuel up with slow digesting protein and a good amount of carbs!

Rachel August 1, 2010

I have also read a lot about the wonderful benefits of coconut water so I finally tried some . . . and it’s absolutely disgusting! It has a horrible aftertaste that I can’t force myself to drink. Although, Naked juice now has a Naked Smoothie made with coconut water which taste mush better. I do like those but unfortunately I didn’t notice an increase in energy. I still drink them though b/c there are many other benefits I’m sure my body is getting that I can’t feel.

Jess * forever addicting * August 1, 2010

Hey Angela! I LOVE and highly recommend coconut water. Vita Coco is my favourite brand http://www.vitacoco.com/ I prefer it over the O.N.E and Zico brands. It enters your system really quickly and is incredibly refreshing. Brendan Brazier (formulator of Vega) swears by it and is a big fan..I tried it after reading his book a few years ago and have been hooked ever since.

Before a workout I’ll sometimes have a small cup of coconut water and one big date..and my energy levels are great!! I hope you try and enjoy it!

Gail August 1, 2010

I replaced my sports drink (first Gatorade, then Vitamin Water, then Smart Water) with coconut water about a year ago. At first I couldn’t stand the taste, but the taste grew on me. It’s still not my favorite flavor, but at least I know with the coconut water, it’s a minimally processed sports drink as opposed to the previously mentioned ones. I do agree with a Marianne, though, that it doesn’t provide sodium. But I eat some salty nuts afterwards and that seems to do the trick (also provides some protein as well). My runs only are about 3-5 miles long so I usually just bring a sports bottle filled with the coconut water. I didn’t think of bringing dates – I’ll have to try that one on my next longer run.

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 1, 2010

Wow- what a great run! I love great negative splits like that — and they are tough! Good job!

I drink alot of water and usually watered down gatorade for my long runs. I also like to bring a little bag of sport beans or just jelly beans. They seem to sit well in my stomach and give me a little extra boost. I’ve tried having 1/2 or 1/3 banana on runs and it just sits like a rock in my stomach. I haven’t tried coconut water, but I’d like to!

Run Sarah August 1, 2010

Have fun at the Antique Mall and awesome job on the long run! I don’t usually run for more than an hour bot for runs around that mark I have a mini Luna bar before hand. I can’t eat during a run, I feel so sick!

janna @ janna's keeping it real August 1, 2010

Awesome run lady!

Angela – you.are.amazing!

Thanks for the link to my “Healthy Zucchini Bread Power Scuffins”!! They are *just* as tasty the morning after! :0)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 1, 2010

I just started doing the GM in the vita mix and it’s amazing. I think the vita mix is what makes it.

Sarah August 1, 2010

Hi Angela-

I depend on coconut water to make it through my longer runs- I can’t eat anything while running and coconut water is the perfect way for me to boost my energy levels. I agree with Jess- Vitacoco is much yummier than other brands.

I am so impressed by your splits! I’m in 115 degree weather today here in Damascus and haven’t been for a run in three months (even scarier than the heat are the men who trail after me if I wear spandex running pants :) I can’t wait to get back to my running routine in Boston and try negative splits!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales August 1, 2010

What a great run, it must have been tough!! I had forgotten all about that song but I used to love it.

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 1, 2010

Impressed with your ability to pull it out like that in the last mile! Those medijol dates must have done the trick!

Lizzie August 1, 2010

I fuel with either hot oats w/ PB and honey mixed in, or some pieces of wholemeal toast with PB. I don’t usually bring anything during a long run unless I am actually racing the distance, but I have started to like the sports beans – they taste good and are easy to grab and eat along the way.

Don’t want to be negative, but I tried coconut water after my first 1/2 earlier this year and it’s GROSS. And I don’t say that about a lot of consumable goods :) But everyone has their own taste, so you should definitely give it a go. Not sure what I can drink beyond water as I don’t like Gatorade or anything like that. Apparently chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink.

Nice job on the long run – you’re going to haul ass at your next race!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 1, 2010

I had to do a lot of experimenting with food/long-runs but I finally got it down pat! For me, I don’t need fuel for anything under 11ish miles. After that, I bring along coconut water because it has it all (sugar, electrolytes). I’ve tried Clif sports drinks and coconut water and I gotta say- coconut water was the best. My heart rate would go down & I wouldn’t sweat as much after drinking it (weird!) But yeah I’d def. recommend it!

Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 1, 2010

I have tried coconut water and it DOES give you energy…..I just had to get used to the flavor, which I didn’t like at first.
BTW-I’m featuring your carrot cake scuffins on my blog post for this evening :)

Monika @ ForeverImprovingGirl August 1, 2010

I definitely recommend coconut water for longer runs – I have a 4-bottle fuel belt and fill 2 of the bottles with it (the other 2 with regular water). They revive me better than gatorade and apparently have more electrolytes than leading sport drinks.

I will admit I don’t like the taste – I know some people enjoy it but I find it kind of gross. Still, the longer I use it the more I find it grows on me…

Maria August 1, 2010

Hi,

I have been making VOO for breakfast for a couple of months now (or maybe it’s already been three). I always use coconut oil for the topping, and wanted to ask whether it can cause breakouts to increase? Mine have increased quite drastically (read: very very much), and I was just wondering whether this could be the cause, or whether I should look elsewhere.

Looking forward to your antiques post.

Whitney August 1, 2010

I’d agree with the “tried it, but hate the taste!” sect of coconut-water people — it actually made me quite nauseous, which was no fun halfway through a 20 miler. :(

Plus, I also sweat loads, and need the sodium too. But, I do splash coconut water into my sparkling water/POM drink, which hides the taste and also put glug or so into my recovery green monsters.

Crazy congrats on your splits! Those are insane! I hope that I can work to be as fast one day. :)

Kelly August 1, 2010

Angela -I made the carrot cake scuffins last night and they were tremendous! Thank you so much for a healthful fantastic recipe!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 1, 2010

Awesome run!! Congrats, doesn’t it feel so great to have a really strong one?

For my long runs, I like to fuel with Gu gels, and dried apricots. The apricots are a little easier to eat than the gels (because they don’t squirt everywhere!) and since the sugars in them are simple, my stomach has an easy time breaking them down.

Have fun at the market!

Sasha August 1, 2010

Great run! You are one fast woman! :)
A word on your post-workout nutrition: ideally it should be drinkable and contain carbs:proteins in the ration 2:1 and zero fats. Your post-run smoothie is perfect except for the coconut butter. After physical exertion, the body needs quick digesting food to replenish and repair itself. Adding fats to your smoothie slows down digestion. Yes, coconut butter is a healthy fat and in any other smoothie would be a great addition, just not in a post-workout one. Thought you may want to know. You can google ‘post-workout nutrition’ for more info.
I spotted your carrot scuffins in http://carrotsncake.com/ too recently :)

Alexa August 1, 2010

I started drinking coconut water a few months ago when the temperature started rising during my runs. It was great knowing you were drinking something unprocessed, and had a ton of potassium compared to other sports drink products. I don’t use it during every workout but when I do I always find it very refreshing, it has to drank very cold. It gives me a sense of rejuvenation, and energy post workout. :) You should try it!

Question: Where do you buy your coconut butter, or do you only make it?
I have been wanting to try this and coconut oil for awhile now, but am not quite sure which product is the best to go with..

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 1, 2010

I used coconut water to fuel my 17-miler today (in vibrams!!!) — I finished really well. Average page was slightly faster than normal (8:56 pace) . . . so I’d highly recommend it. Great run, btw!

Silva August 1, 2010

Hello Angela!

A couple of months ago I stumbled upon a link to your blog on Fitsugar and have been reading ever since. I found your blog so inspirational that over the past months I have (slowly) been going back through all of your posts. This morning I finally reached the very beginning and would just like to thank you for bringing a positive, healthy note to each day. I definitely have my share of days where I don’t feel like going for a run or practising yoga but more often than not your blog was able to provide the push I needed to get off my butt and go accomplish something. Wishing you all the best!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 1, 2010

Oh, and PS: my post-run smoothie was similar to yours (with chia and blueberry, etc.) I’m planning on posting it tomorrow! I have a lot of trouble eating after a long run . . . so I always do smoothies. The chia seeds are great for hydration/holding onto water. I added Greek yogurt to mine because protein is super important after long runs. Anyway, just thought that was fun — smoothies ROCK!

Alexa@Running the Road to Recovery August 1, 2010

I’m curious about coconut water too! Supposedly it’s like a natural form of Gatorade (has electrolytes), but it’s awfully expensive.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope August 1, 2010

I really tried to like coconut water, I did. I tried plain, flavored, different brands, diluting it, etc. But in the end, i cannot stomach the taste. To me, it is like feet. It’s all good though because that stuff is expensive!

coco August 1, 2010

I just run 8 miles this morning too, it was glorious! great idea to keep some dates as fuel, I will do that in the future! :)
how to fuel after a long run? for me the most important thing is replenish water and then listen to my body, if I feel more hungry than usual, I’ll eat more, otherwise I’ll just eat as usual. :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 1, 2010

I love coconut water. To me, it’s like a treat. After a sweaty fun I love diving into it. It works great to return your electrolytes.

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) August 1, 2010

I adore medjool dates and will use any occasion as an excuse to chow on them. I’ve yet to try them on a long run, but they sound like an excellent, natural fuel source for extensive runs.

Your green monster sounds like an incredible mix of highly nourishing ingredients, I particularly love the addition of coconut butter. Yum!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 1, 2010

Nice job on the run! I like to get some sort of carbs and glucose in during runs longer than 6 miles too. Sometimes I mix a little POM juice with water in my Camelbak.

Mel August 1, 2010

I used coconut water on my last sprint triathlon and it worked great. I drank about a pint during the bike and then only needed one sip of water on the 5k run despite it being around 25 degrees c. I’m usually desperate for water at the aid stations so that was great. I added less than 1/8 tsp salt to it, which I worked out would bring the sodium up to the same as in a Gatorade and I couldn’t taste the salt at all. I posted about coconut water on a triathlon forum asking if anyone used it and basically got laughed at asking if I was a monkey! Oh well they can keep chugging those horrible artificial drinks!

Page 1 of 212»