I got up and got my long run out of the way this morning. It was a clear and crisp morning (around 19C). I had a Run Glo Bar before heading out for some fuel.
- Distance: 8 miles
- Time: 1 hour 12 mins 22 secs.
- Avg pace: 9:02 min/mile
Mile splits are in the chart below…note that I ran each mile faster than the previous ones! This took some hard core sprinting at the end of miles 5-8 to achieve this goal.
Fueling For Long Runs:
When I do a long run over 6 miles, I always bring some food with me for fuel. Today I brought two medjool dates (chopped and pitted and in a bag) and I had half at mile 6 and the rest at mile 7. It gave me such a boost!
I have been thinking about trying coconut water for my long runs because I have heard so many great things about it. Has anyone used it before and want to share their thoughts?
When I got home I made a huge, delicious, mouth-watering green monster in Her-Mix-A-Lot! Mmmmmmm.
Post-Run Green Monster:
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder
- 1 large frozen banana
- 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 tsp maca powder
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
It was INCREDIBLE! Highly recommended for post-run replenishment.
It’s that time again. Some of my favourite health links over the past week…enjoy!
Health News Round Up
- What Sheryl Crow does for fitness – Fit Sugar
- Toxic chemicals lurking in household and beauty products – Huffington Post
- Japanese women live the longest – Huffington Post
- How to sprout seeds- a fast and easy tutorial – Traveling Together
- Too much or too little Vitamin D? The results won’t be out for years – Globe and Mail
- Bored on your bike? Here are 4 workouts to build speed & strength – That’s Fit
- What is the best kind of yoga to try for my personality type? – Fit Sugar
- The Health Benefits of Watermelon – That’s Fit.ca
- Can allergies to certain foods trigger migranes? – NY Times
- Germany weighs tax on the obese – Huffington Post
- A recipe I want to try: Baked Limas with tomatoes and peppers – NY Times
- Healthy Carrot Cake Power Scuffins and again
- Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter Bread
- Maple Baked Beans
- First timer green monster and vegan overnight oats
- Basil Scalloped tomatoes
- Vegan overnight oats in a jar
- Healthy Carrot Cake power scuffins and again!
- Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes
- Pretty in the pan stuffed patty pan squash
- Healthy Zucchini Bread Power Scuffins
Today’s question: How do you fuel for long-runs? What works for you?
Well, I’m off to get ready for the Antique Market. Very excited. I will bring the camera and show you what treasures we come across! Enjoy your day.