Fueling For Long Runs

Good morning!

I got up and got my long run out of the way this morning. It was a clear and crisp morning (around 19C). I had a Run Glo Bar before heading out for some fuel.

The run:

• Distance: 8 miles
  • Time: 1 hour 12 mins 22 secs.
  • Avg pace: 9:02 min/mile

Mile splits are in the chart below…note that I ran each mile faster than the previous ones! This took some hard core sprinting at the end of miles 5-8 to achieve this goal.

Untitled

It might be the strongest run I have had since my 3rd half marathon on May 30th! My music highlight today was a way back play back- Castles in the Sky by Ian Van Dahl. Love it!

Fueling For Long Runs:

When I do a long run over 6 miles, I always bring some food with me for fuel. Today I brought two medjool dates (chopped and pitted and in a bag) and I had half at mile 6 and the rest at mile 7. It gave me such a boost!

I have been thinking about trying coconut water for my long runs because I have heard so many great things about it. Has anyone used it before and want to share their thoughts?

When I got home I made a huge, delicious, mouth-watering green monster in Her-Mix-A-Lot! Mmmmmmm.

IMG_4623

Post-Run Green Monster:

• 2 cups spinach
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 1/4 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 tsp maca powder
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp coconut butter

It was INCREDIBLE! Highly recommended for post-run replenishment.

It’s that time again. Some of my favourite health links over the past week…enjoy!

Health News Round Up

Spotted:

Today’s question: How do you fuel for long-runs? What works for you?

Well, I’m off to get ready for the Antique Market. Very excited. I will bring the camera and show you what treasures we come across! Enjoy your day.

Page 2 of 2«12
lori August 3, 2010

I LOVE coconut water! The best brand I have found is Amy and Brian’s. I think it tastes better to me because it is packaged in a can rather than one of those tetrapaks… somehow this seems to change the flavor a bit. I have only found this brand at Whole Foods. Anyhow, I am a runner and I do think it really helps to keep me hydrated and keep my electrolytes in balance. I often mix the coconut water with half plain water. This dilutes the flavor a bit (although I love the flavor) and it also helps to save a little $$ as coconut water can be expensive if you are chugging it down by the gallon when you do a lot running. Hope that helps!
ps… I love your blog and your recipes!

stephanie August 3, 2010

unless I am running for more than 90 minutes, I only drink water. My daily run is seven miles and I don’t need any fuel forthat. For truely long runs over 90 minutes, I carry little packs of honey and slurp those. Very convenient, healthy, quick disgesting fuel.

Angela August 2, 2010

For the lack of sodium in coconut water (if you’re a heavy sweater and need it), you could always add a pinch of sea salt to it…or eat some pretzels with it. And coconut water tastes a lot better cold than room temp. I like cherry juice too after runs.

Sarah August 2, 2010

This arrived in my inbox this morning and is definitely pertinent. The article suggests that coconut water might not be ideal due to the environmental impact and the lack of sodium:

Therese August 2, 2010

Geez! You’re such a speedy runner! Way to go!

I was just reading in Runners World the other days that coconut water is great for runs under and hour but doesn’t contain enough sodium to go over an hour so it might be best to combine it with other fuel for longer distances.

Yesterday’s run was a combination of a raspberry Clif shot and some raisins. I hate the price for gels but I do find them the most convenient but the raisins also did the trick. I’m just not a fan of raisins! I also cut the water in my Camelbak with Gatorade although I recently discovered eLoad and will be stocking up STAT!

Jessica @ Running From Cupcakes August 2, 2010

I made the Healthy Carrot Cake Scuffins too! They were delicious!! I have them stored in the freezer wrapped in individual ziplocs to take to work :)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 1, 2010

Ps. I recently purchased the medjool dates and might test those out on my next long run, next Sat. which will be a 12-13 miler. I love dates.

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 1, 2010

Fantastic run as usual gal! You are one speed demon in my book! You go girl!!!

Ahh fueling for long runs, one of my favorite subjects. I run with the Jeff Galloway Dallas group. Our weekday schedule dictates that we run 2-3 days during the week with 30-45 min. runs. Lately I’ve been running in the evenings after work, well in Texas the weather is still well, HOT. So I don’t usually fuel up too much except for carrying a huge bottle of water w/ice in my fuel belt. Upon my return, it’s pretty much time for dinner. As for our long runs on Sat., lately, I keep GU chomps or Luna moons in my fuel belt for snacking and ice water for fluids. Pre-run fuel for my Sat. long runs usually consists of 1/2 banana, Ezekial toast w/peanut butter & Blue Agave nectar and a Run Glo-bar, if I’m out of those, Larabar or Luna bar. Post run, O.N.E. coconut water, banana or some other type of fruit and if I have one, a Post workout Glo bar. Once I arrive home, I have a juice (beet, carrot, cuke, lime or lemon, ginger and sometimes an apple) and that’s pretty much it until after I take a nap. Then I eat a good healthy lunch.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 1, 2010

Congrats on the awesome run! My longest run yet has only been about 4.5 miles, so I don’t really need to refuel during my runs. I’m hoping to start working up to longer distances though!

I’ve seen other bloggers eat dates before/during workouts. Is there something special about them that makes them good fuel?

AngelaOSG August 1, 2010

They are VERY high in sugar, making them great for a glucose booster

Jessica @ Rawtumn August 1, 2010

Thanks for the link love! <3 That green monster of yours looks especially amazing today. Your runs just keep getting better and better, color me impressed!!

Red August 1, 2010

Amazing job on the run! I’ve had coconut water but haven’t really had the opportunity to do a head to head comparison with anything else. I am running in the Malibu half marathon in November here in So Cal that is offering coconut water as their electrolyte choice! I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 1, 2010

Wow – congrats on a wonderful run! You should be so very happy with such an awesome run!

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 1, 2010

Wow, great links. Especially the one about vitamin D. As for fueling runs, I cant imagine eating when I run! But I guess I might not be that serious of a runner just yet! :)

christina cadden August 1, 2010

That green monster looks so good! Congrats on your runs!

Robyn @ Bliss in Print August 1, 2010

Hey Angela!

Coconut water is probably one of the best inventions ever!! Full of potassium (electrolytes) and light yumminess – I totally recommend it!! I personally like O.N.E. “One Natural Experience”.. I Hear VitaCOCO is good as well!! I usually drink a pint of O.N.E. after a run longer than 6mi to refuel my body immediately. I also recommend mixing some into your green monster, it’s pretty darn good!!! Great run by the way!

Robyn

Melissa August 1, 2010

It is funny to read people not liking the taste of coconut water- I love the taste. I have tried several flavors as well (Mango and Passion Fruit coconut water) but I love the regular. When I sweat on a bike ride or run- I really crave the taste of it. I cant eat much else on a long run but when I did my 1/2 I depended on coconut water. Cherries or cherry juice is really great for recovery and quicker healing time for your muscles when eaten after a workout.

Laurie August 1, 2010

Here’s a silly, but necessary question. Where do you put your baggie of dates while you run?

In the camelbak :)

Little Aspects August 1, 2010

I don’t tend to take any kind of fuel with me on long runs – I just make sure that I don’t run on an empty stomach, I make sure I have a decent breakfast that won’t sit heavily in my stomach and head off about an hour later. When I ran all my half marathons a few years ago, before my long runs I would have an English muffin with honey about an hour before I left. That got me through 16-20km training runs with no problems. I made sure my running route went past parks with bubblers to get water if I needed it, but I don’t like to drink too much whilst I’m running, otherwise I get cramps. Instead, I try to stay hydrated throughout the day and the night before.

At the moment, my longer runs are about 12km, and since I eat a more whole foods diet now than I did when I was previously training, rather than an English muffin, I have a small bowl of porridge (1/3 cup oats) about 1.5hrs before heading out. This works for me. Otherwise I run in the afternoon after I get home from work, and as long as I’ve had a decent lunch (salad sandwich etc) I just eat a piece of fruit on my way home so that it’s been digested by the time I get home, changed and hit the pavement. I could never eat anything whilst I was running – I think I would be sick!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 1, 2010

you would be the best running partner ;)

hmm i think the green monster tops the list for best post recovery food/drink. hmm i also like bananas or lots of cherries <3

xoxo

happy first of august love!

Callie August 1, 2010

Awesome run, especially on that last mile! :)
I’ve only tried coconut water once because of the price. It didn’t taste as good as I expected, but I did feel more energetic and refreshed after drinking it.

Whitney August 1, 2010

Hey guys. Where can I find Coconut Water? Is there anywhere that sells it in bulk so it’s cheaper? Also where do you get your music playlists? Do they come from the top of your head, or do you have a website? Thanks :) Need to find a way to get more motivated for those long runs!

Gail August 1, 2010

Any natural foods store carries it (including Whole Foods). I don’t know where you can buy it in bulk. You could always ask the natural foods store if they discount if you buy in bulk. Maybe some asian markets would sell it too.

Elizabeth August 1, 2010

Amazon.com has good prices on 12 packs of coconut water. You can also do a subscribe and save to save a few more dollars and it’s delivered to you according to the schedule you set up with Amazon. HTH!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans August 1, 2010

I enjoy GM’s post runs with some protein powder of some sorts in there. However my first priority is water water water when I get back from even just a 5k run.

Allie Finch August 1, 2010

I LOVE coconut water. It is refreshing & hydrating — I enjoy gulping it down after long bike rides, hikes, intense climbing, etc. [I’m not a fan of sports drinks since I avoid sugar at all costs.] I consider it my one…not-so-ethical-food-splurge, because it is SO NOT LOCAL :( [it’s sourced from Thailand]. This really hit me when my husband & I went to Thailand in March on our honeymoon; SUCH a LONG flight…it really makes you realize how far our food can travel. Oh, but how delicious to drink this water straight from a green coconut that had JUST come off the tree while there! :) Since we eat seasonally & as locally as possible [we don’t even buy tomatoes fall through spring], I still feel kind of guilty, enjoying this drink; but I really enjoy its benefits.
I also love dates for fuel as well as chia seeds for pre/post sport replenishment.

Allie Finch August 1, 2010

p.s. rather than using nut milks in my Green Monsters, I actually use coconut water.

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 1, 2010

I ALWAYS bring coconut water with me on long runs. It is SO good and so refreshing. It hydrates you instantly. There is nothing like it!!

Camille August 1, 2010

When I go for long runs, the main thing for me is that I have juice waiting for me at home. I feel like dying if I have to make juice!

Corey August 1, 2010

Thanks for the shout out Angela!! :)
Beautiful negative splits on the run today! I’ve been looking for new ideas for what to bring with me on long runs – sometimes the gel’s are really unappetizing – and I like the idea of bringing dates! Have you ever tried cutting up bite size pieces of your glo bars to bring on long runs? On some of my longer ones (15-20 mi) I’ve definitely wanted some actual food like that versus a gel or something liquidy.