Hot & Cold

Good morning!

Last night Eric and I started watching a new TV show called Lie to Me. Has anyone else seen this? We LOVED it! It really appeals to my love for forensic psychology and touches on the research that I learned in my law & psychology courses in university. Two thumbs up! We have two seasons to catch up on now…yippee!

It is finally raining and has slightly cooled off today. We are all rejoicing and the plants are soaking up the water like a sponge. I decided that today’s weather called for some hot oatmeal…

Today I decided to try banana soft serve on hot oats! I have heard of a few people trying this and liking it and I thought the combination of the cold soft serve and the hot oats would go really well together, so I gave it a shot.

IMG_1838

For the hot oat portion, I made my VOO recipe- 1/2 cup oats, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal, and chia seeds (only used 1/2 tbsp today because I didn’t want my oats too thick).

Then I made peanut butter banana soft serve by processing 1 frozen banana with 1 tbsp peanut butter:

IMG_1840

Then I scooped the hot oats onto a bowl following by the PB soft serve, cacao nibs, and unsweetened coconut:

IMG_1845

The perfect breakfast for a rainy day?

IMG_1846

I thought these were just OK, but I mostly just enjoyed the parts with banana soft serve. I much prefer cold vegan overnight oats, but that is not too surprising because I have never been a big hot oatmeal fan. I find they are much more refreshing when cold.

IMG_1858

and hot Japanese sencha green tea!

IMG_1862

This is a loose leaf Bodum tea pot for those of you who were asking. It works great for making huge pots of loose leaf tea!

IMG_1868

Have a great Friday!

1 Jessica @ How Sweet July 9, 2010

Ahhh I love the warm/cold combo! I can’t do the cold oats, that is probably why. :)

2 Diana July 9, 2010

haha…I’m like the opposite of you! I prefer hot oats over cold breakfasts. :) I’ve never tried a hot/cold breakfast bowl combo before. Looks so pretty…and delicious!

3 Mellissa July 9, 2010

LOVE that tea pot, I have just a small cup to make loose left and I think I need the big pot!

4 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete July 9, 2010

Your house looks so cozy and calm this morning with that combo. It sort of reminds me of a suped up Folgers commercial except a lot healthier!

5 Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 9, 2010

I wanted to get into Lie to Me for the same reasons when it premiered here in the states but somehow I just never was able to catch it! I wonder if Hulu has it up…

6 Julie @SavvyEats July 9, 2010

They do! I don’t have cable, so I’ve been watching on Hulu!

7 Pam July 9, 2010

Yay for Hulu. I watched it for the 1st time last night and realized what I’ve been missing! I’ll have to check out Lie to Me. Thanks for the tip that it’s on Hulu.

8 Julie @SavvyEats July 9, 2010

I LOVE Lie to Me!! It is one of my new faves, i think. :)

9 Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 9, 2010

ok, this is going to sound super lame, especially since i can’t find a picture, but that teacup with the sencha looks JUST like this teacup of green tea on a box of sencha they sell at my grocery store. ahhh! it’s driving me nuts– i can picture it, but i can’t find it. i’ll have to snap a pic the next time i see it. your teacup is famous :D

10 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 9, 2010

You could also use the French Press as well!

11 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 9, 2010

I rarely ever say this but it NEEDS to rain here. It hotter than your tea pot over here!

12 Emmanuelle July 9, 2010

Love Lie to Me, the first season was up on Belgian television not so long ago :-)

13 Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 9, 2010

I am now singing that Katy Perry song, hahaha

14 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 9, 2010

there really are no words to describe how much i love PB banana soft serve…and rainy days! hot & cold is classic :)

15 Kathy July 9, 2010

Oh, I love Lie To Me! I watched all episodes with my boyfriend so far. Hope they’ll keep that show longer than other ‘new’ ones at the moment.

16 Therese July 9, 2010

I know a lot of people who like Lie To Me@ I’ve never seen it however (have no time these days for TV thanks to going back to school!).

Hey! I’m meeting you on Sunday at the Cafe! Looking forward to it!

17 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 9, 2010

I like the combo of the two its sounds amazing.

18 Laury @thefitnessdish July 9, 2010

I’ve been doing cold oats a lot lately..but NEVER thought of adding the nana soft serve..genius!! The tea pic is so pretty!! I need to start drinking it again, was a tea addict, just been way too hot out!!! Looks perfect for you on a rainy morning!!!

19 Hunter July 9, 2010

Long-time hot oatmeal fan here with some tips!
When it comes to the deliciousness that is frozen banana, it holds up better against the heat if you slice it into coins. Then you have tasty little melty/chilly discs of banana awesomeness studded throughout your bowl.
You mentioned cinnamon being kind of off your radar. When it comes to hot oatmeal though, cinnamon = win.
Right now I`m having a bowl of oatmeal topped liberally with pan-toasted walnuts and chopped apples. There is also cinnamon and a dash of cardamom. To be honest my bowls of oatmeal usually groan under the weight of the added toppings I throw on…berries, chopped nuts and raisins, fruit. It`s just a warm oaty vehicle for melding flavours in one easy bowl!

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

Great tips!
I forgot to mention I added cinnamon in my oats today. Was nice!

21 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 9, 2010

Well the oats certainly look beautiful! Although not as beautiful as that teapot. That last picture makes me want to cozy up under a blanket with a good book (and a cup of tea!).

22 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 9, 2010

Love the hot and cold! I mix temperatures all the time – mostly on salad with cold veggies and warm chicken or fish. Oats and banana soft serve will be next! Have a great day!

23 Bethany @ Not Unless I'm Being Chased July 9, 2010

I love Lie to Me! My husband and I just started watching it via Netflix Instantly. I laugh every time they show a picture of former president Bill Clinton as an example of lying. He pops up all the time!

24 emptynutjar July 9, 2010

Ever try the infamous breakfast cookie?

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

No I havent but now that I think I have warmed up to VOO, I might like it.

26 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 9, 2010

Oh how I miss summer rains! I grew up in WI and we had fantastic thunderstorms (and tornadoes!) in the summer..now living in northern Cali, we get NO rain from May to November usually .. Happy Friday!

27 Molly July 9, 2010

Hi Angela,

I have a somewhat unrelated question to this post, but wanted to know your thoughts on sample etiquette at things like farmers’ markets/whole foods/etc. I feel somewhat guilty because I almost always try a sample even when I’m fairly sure I’m not going to buy a product (or perhaps if I already know that I’m going to buy it, but they have samples anyway!) There have been a few items I would have never purchased and continue to do so had I not sampled them, but for the most part, I’m just getting some free bites. I was curious about your opinion from a sales-person point of view. Are people like myself just being rude and wasting your time? Or do you think that its okay given that perhaps they will buy your product (perhaps even a later date)? Honestly, I realize that I’m going to cut back, but sometimes I never know what will end up causing me to make a new purchase. Thoughts?

Thanks!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

Interesting question! Personally I don’t mind at all when people sample just to sample and I am aware that many people do just that! Typically they don’t engage in conversation and just carry on their way. Its no big deal. I wouldnt feel too badly about doing so!

29 Jessica @ Rawtumn July 9, 2010

I LOVE Lie to Me! I usually have to catch it on Hulu because I forget it’s on but it’s so worth it. Your oats looks great today but I also much prefer overnight oats to hot oatmeal. Although… neither really beats the banana soft serve for me, so yum, peanut butter is my favorite!

30 Kelly July 9, 2010

I don’t like hot oats either!! I never liked oatmeal until I tried it cold.. now I eat it almost every day!! :)

31 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 9, 2010

I like Lie to Me, too. I watched the first season but I love that it’s now on in the summer. All of my other shows are off so it gives me good time to watch this. I like to think I’m learning something about how people lie.

32 Kim July 9, 2010

Considering how much you love the cold voo, you might enjoy raw oatmeal which I have been enjoying thus week. You soak and sprout oat groats and then after a couple of days, blend them up in the food processor with some banana, almond butter, raisins, whatever you like! There are recipes in ani phyo’s new book, rod rotondi’s book, raw food real world, and the raw revolution diet. I am pretty sure you can also find some online.

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

Sounds interesting!

34 Ashley July 9, 2010

I’ve made smoothies and dumped them on my hot oats before. I definitely like them either all hot or all cold, but I prefer hot oats, although when YOU made me VOO it was excellllent. Sometimes it hurts my stomach though. LOVE the tea pot…saw the cutest little thermal sleeves for them at c+b too. hehe Have a great weekend!!

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

haha that is so weird b/c sometimes the HOT oats hurt my tummy! lol. We are weirdos

36 Run Sarah July 9, 2010

I am not a big fan of hot oats and cool yogurt but the combo of oatmeal and banana soft serve may be worth trying. Unfortunately I can’t have my Magic Bullet going so early in the AM!

37 Wei-Wei July 9, 2010

I absolutely LOVE Lie to Me. I think it might be my favourite show… right next to How I Met Your Mother. It is seriously so awesome and it gets even better in season 2! Good luck with watching the latest episode – I was so mad when I realised I didn’t have a next episode to catch up with.

Yay for hot and cold combinations! I seriously love them in food. I love this thing in Cantonese cuisine called a “Ice Fire Pineapple Bun” – it’s a toasted pineapple bun (a bun with a pineapple-shaped sweet crust, not pineapple flavoured) with a pat of cold butter in the middle. SO good. And hot fudge sundae – now that’s awesome. (…I do realise you are vegan, though. Doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy soft serve!)

Wei-Wei

38 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 9, 2010

If you want to try the hot/cold combo with your VOO, you could try melted banana on top! Just stick the banana in the microwave for 30 seconds, stirring it until it’s melty and caramelized, then drizzle that on top of the VOO :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

mmmmmmmm wow!

40 Tracey July 9, 2010

I’m the same way, I’d rather cold oats to hot. Hot oats don’t sit well in my stomach for some reason. By the way I love that teapot!!

41 Rosey Rebecca July 9, 2010

I love the idea of oats and banana soft serve. I’ll have to try this one soon! Your tea picture is so pretty.

42 Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) July 9, 2010

I’m a huge Lie to Me fan! My boyfriend and I watched the first season in a weekend. I must warn you that after watching that many episodes i fancied myself a bit of a Cal Lightman. Boyfriend and I would be on the subway and I’d whisper “Oh my gosh, did you see that? That guy totally lied to his girlfriend. I saw that one shoulder shrug!” This went on for a few days before Boyfriend finally informed me that I am not a human lie detector nor do I have the ability to read micro-expressions. :)

Enjoy the show!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

HAHA too funny!!!

44 Nicole P July 9, 2010

Lie To Me is one of my favorites. I now find myself really watching people’s faces when they talk to me and when I watch other TV shows and I am able to tell when they are lying sometimes. It really is a very interesting thing- just wait and see, after like 4 episodes you will find yourself watching interviews on the news and picking apart the story haha. It’s kind of contagious.

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

I found it very interesting because I learned a lot of the lie detection stuff in my courses and I was SO happy to see the show was based on research!

46 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) July 9, 2010

Oooh, I love the flavor combo! But wouldn’t the soft serve melt pretty quickly? I think a cold/cold combo would still offer up a really great texture and taste contrast. Will have to try! I live in Houston and it’s hot hot hot!

47 Jocelyn July 9, 2010

I am sooo happy it is raining today! :):)

Your breakfast looks yummy. I don’t really like oatmeal…I mean, I’ll eat it (with the right toppings!) but I just find that it sits like a lump in my tummy and makes me vvvvery uncomfortable!

48 Tyffanie July 9, 2010

My husband and I LOVE Lie to Me!!!! We started watching it last year and are totally hooked!!! My husband likes to think he has the same powers as Lightman and can tell when people are lying, etc. Hahaha. But seriously, it is a good show. I like it when they show famous people making the same face as they lie as the people on the show.

49 Melissa July 9, 2010

hot oats, like the cooked oatmeal makes me literally gag. So Im a little apprehensive to try the cold VOO but I’m really curious so one of these days I’ll give it a shot!
Love the bodem! I think the glass teapots are awesome and so I think that is going on the Christmas list:)
Have a great weekend

50 jenna July 9, 2010

i love your teapot!! so pretty!

51 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 9, 2010

I love PB & chocolate together. What a great use for Amazing Grass!

52 Lisa July 9, 2010

I love “Lie to Me.” I’m a few episodes behind right now. Have you gotten caught up on the last season? It was really good!

53 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 9, 2010

Banana soft serve and hot oats? I think you just solved my’what to have for breakfast as the blender is broken so no GMs’ question!! (except…I can’t do BSS….darn!)

54 faith @ gracefulfitness July 9, 2010

I am totally the opposite of you also, I LOVE hot oats and find them so satisfying. In fact, I have been wanting to try overnight oats but haven’t brought myself to give up a bowl of hot oats in exchange! The banana soft serve looks incredible though!

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

Two girls torn between their love of oats! ;p

56 Gena July 9, 2010

Looks awesome! I AM a hot oats person (more so than cold), but either way, the combos you come up with are perfection.

57 Diana July 9, 2010

I’m the same way — after eating VOO for a while now, I just can’t get used to eating hot oatmeal! Plus, VOO is easier to wash off my bowls :D

58 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 9, 2010

I had hot oats this morning too. Hot oatmeal is so comforting on a rainy day!

59 Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 9, 2010

Oh I LOVE Lie to Me! My brother got me hooked over Christmas!

60 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 9, 2010

I always love a warm breakfast to get me going in the morning so I’ve always been a bigger fan of the hot oats, but VOO is still great too.

61 Kristy July 9, 2010

Lie to me taught me a few things, atleast I’m telling myself that they were facts and I’m super cool for being able to “read” people more often.

62 Andrea July 9, 2010

Where do you buy your cocoa nibs?

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2010

From a wholesaler for the bakery

64 Melissa@Vegan CacaoBee July 9, 2010

I love Lie to Me AND banana soft serve. I just made cacao banana soft serve last night, but I forgot all about the peanut butter. Chocolate and peanut butter…yum! I wish it were raining here.

65 Marina July 9, 2010

I love hot/cold combo, but this has to be eaten really fast :D So instead of having the soft serve as the cold part, I throw in some thick yogurt on it. Perfect.

66 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 9, 2010

I love both hot and cold oats, so I will have to try the hot/cold combination. It sounds good to me!

67 Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 9, 2010

I recently tried hot oatmeal with yogurt, an idea I got from IowaGirlEats, and I wasn’t a big fan, mainly becauese I was so scared that the heat from the oats, even after cooling, would curdle the yogurt. But Soft Serve with hot oats, worth a try! Thanks!

68 Camille July 9, 2010

I’ve never seen that show, but it has always looked interesting!
I am so jealous of your rainy day :)

69 Erin July 9, 2010

I looooove Lie to Me! My bf and I have been watching ever since the premier last year. Tim Roth as Cal Lightman is genious.

70 erica July 9, 2010

i LOVE lie to me! it’s such a good show :)
i think i’m the opposite of you….i love hot oats more than overnight oats….but i loooove banana soft serve :)

71 highonhealthy July 9, 2010

I love banana soft serve over hot oats! What I do is make the oats in almond milk then layer it with chocolate banana soft serve. My topping is a nice big blob of cherry jam. I went through a period where that was all I would eat for breakfast.. it is so good.

72 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 9, 2010

Sorry to hear your breakfast was disappointing but at least you’ve got some respite from the hot weather!

73 *Andrea* July 9, 2010

i just finished reading The Kind Diet – by Alicia Silverstone and she reminds me SOOOO much of you! besides the obvious (blonde+gorgeous) she is so sweet and innovative with vegan foods!

sorry about the oats. at least the soft srve part was tasty

74 Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 9, 2010

OMG, I think those hot/cold oats look so delish especially with the banana soft serve that I have yet to flippin’ try….Yum!

75 Hayley July 10, 2010

LIE TO ME IS AWESOME!!! I love that show!! You should love it!