Another morning, another cuppa Japanese Sencha Green Tea!
Or should I say POT!
I finally got around to trying out my Purslane weeds that I picked up from the Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market on Saturday! The thought of eating weeds excites me. Remember how crazy I was about Dandelion last summer? Good times.
Fun Purslane Facts:
- Purslane contains more Omega-3 fatty (alpha-linolenic acid) acids than any other leafy vegetable plant!
- 100 grams of fresh purslane leaves (about 1 cup) contain 300 to 400 mg of alpha-linolenic acid
- It can be used fresh in salads or smoothies, or it can be cooked like spinach, and used in stir-frys, soups, and stews.
- It also contains vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B, as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, and potassium.
- Also present are two types of alkaloid pigments, which pack a large amount of antioxidants!
- Traditional Chinese Medicine uses Purslane to treat infections and it can also be used topically for insect or snake bites on the skin.
- It contains mucilage, which is a thick, gluey substance that aids in water storage and seed germination, and to act as a membrane thickener and food reserve. For a list of mucilaginous foods, see here. Guess what made the list- chia and flax seeds!!!
I tried a few leaves to see what it tasted like at the market and I was quite surprised at how light the flavour was. I was expecting it to be very bitter, but it wasn’t.
Of course I had to try it in a Green Monster!
Purslane Cherry Banana Green Monster
- 2 cups Purslane
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Powder
It tasted SO much better than I was expecting it to! I loved it.
The two things that stood about about Purslane:
1) The GM was very smooth, buttery, and silky- I think this was due to the Omega 3’s and possibly also the mucilaginous quality.
2) There was a slight hint of citrus flavour. Some people say that Purslane can be sour, but I found it was very light and citrusy.
I will be buying Purslane as long as it is in season! Can’t wait to get more this weekend. I also made this same GM yesterday for an afternoon pick-me-up and it gave me so much energy and kept me full for a long time.
Yay for new GREENS!
Now it’s time for some of my favourite health stories over the past week!
Health News Round Up
- Australian government backs a new series of initiatives to promote healthy body image – Fit Sugar
- The benefits of cucumber water – Thatsfit.ca
- Can eating spicy foods affect your sleep? – Globe and Mail
- A step-by-step guide to mindful nighttime eating – Huffington Post
- Should McDonalds be allowed to include toys in Happy Meals? – Thats Fit
- How do you feel about offering health advice to others? – Fitsugar
- An update on the sunscreen controversy- is it really safe for our skin? – Health.com
- An ode to apricots – NY Times
- Get your vitamins from beer? – Daily Spark
- Another use for Garlic Scapes – Mark Bittman
- Biggest Loser contestant blames eating disorder on show – Physique Speak
- Weight lifting injuries are on the rise – NY Times
- Record set for world’s largest yoga class – Fitsugar
- How to beat the heat when exercising outdoors – Daily Spark
- Are plastics to blame for the obesity epidemic? - Fit Bottomed Girls
- Cherry, Banana, + Coconut Butter Bread (with whole wheat flour!)
- Feeling Nutty Dip
- Easy Vegan Caesar Salad Dressing
- Mango Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats
- Banana Soft Serve VOO and here and here and here and here and here and here!
- 1 Hour VOO
- Peanut Butter Chickpeas
- Dessert Nut Butter Fries
Have a great day!