Sweat Equity

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 29, 2010

Good morning!

After my post on inspiring workout tips on Saturday, many of you were asking me if I could elaborate on the workout piggy bank idea. I decided what better way to talk about it than to just start one up myself!

A workout piggy bank can be used as a motivational tool. While it is a financial reward, I think the strongest motivational aspect of the bank is that it is a powerful visual tool. Every single day you get to see a reminder of your hard work as you see the bills adding up.

The way it works is that you give yourself a pre-specified amount of money for each workout that you do. The great thing about this bank is that it can be applied to a wide variety of things such as kicking the smoking or pop habit. Each time you succeed at not drinking a can of pop or not lighting up a cigarette, you put that amount of money into the bank!

IMG_0863

I think this workout piggy bank is probably best used as a short-term tool when you are feeling like your workout motivation may need a boost. I wouldn’t use it all the time, but I think it would be fun to use now and then when you need a fun reminder.

IMG_0866

Can I just say that I LOVE that there is a hockey player on the $5 bill. :lol: (See it to the right of the face?). All kinds of awesome. The hockey player is rumoured to be ‘Rocket Richard’ for those of you who might know about this legendary hockey player. Apparently, I have listened to my dad gush about hockey for far too many years!

I decided to use $5 for a regular workout and $10 for a long or difficult workout. I was going to use a Toonie, but Eric told me we need all of our change for the Farmer’s Market, so $5 it was!

Of course, I channeled my inner DIY Network, and named it Sweat Equity.  :biggrin:

IMG_0877

(Not to be confused with SWEET equity, which is a whole other discussion!)  :tongue:

With the slogan, ‘Get a healthy Glo and make some Dough!’

I started after yesterday’s workout and $5 went into the jar.

IMG_0872

Should you wish, you can print off this image below and use it for your own workout piggy bank!

sweatequity

I haven’t decided what I am going to use the money on, but I figure I have a month to figure out.

If you like this workout tool, you may also like the Fitness Bucket List I did a while back. I still have it on my wall in front of me!

Click this image below to be taken to the post:

img-2956

Breakfast!

IMG_0883

This morning I made Saskatoon Berry Banana Soft Serve using 1 frozen banana, a dash of pure vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of Saskatoon berries (any Saskatoon readers out there!?)  :biggrin:

I made the classic VOO to layer it with.

IMG_0912

I put a big layer of berries at the top.

Saucers are great for catching overflow!

IMG_0921

I loved the Saskatoon berry soft serve. I thought it was going to turn out too tart because the berries have a bit of bite to them, but their strong flavour actually went fabulous with the banana! I liked the Saskatoon berries better than when I tried blueberries.

IMG_0910

Deelish!

IMG_0906

Back to work I go. Have a lovely Tuesday!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 29, 2010 at 9:19 am

I really love the idea of this workout piggy bank! Have a great day, and thanks for sharing!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 29, 2010 at 9:20 am

Wow!! $5 and $10s?! I probably would have put in quarters…LOL! That would definitely get me motivated!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] June 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

ditto! i definitely couldn’t afford $5 and $10. Quarters, if I could find them!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 29, 2010 at 9:20 am

Oh, and those pictures of your breakfast?! Freakin’ phenomenal! I swear, you need to be a food magazine photographer!

Jenny June 29, 2010 at 9:24 am

I really love the idea of workout rewards!

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks June 29, 2010 at 9:25 am

Your Sweat Equity jar is such a fantastic idea! I have been feeling a little blah about my workouts lately — I think I will start my own jar! As for what to spend it on . . . a cute new top maybe? Or a night out with my girlfriends? Oh, lots of possibilities.

Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 29, 2010 at 9:28 am

It’s a good idea, but I never have any cash. Maybe I could open a savings account and just transfer the $ over.

Jenny June 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

I love your blog and your recipes are great! I am disappointed that you no longer have the link to your recipes. What happened?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Not sure I know what you are talking about…?

Michelle June 29, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Jenny-
I think I see the same thing you do. And I also know how to fix it :P
Right in the middle of all her links at the top, Home is in the center, and above it is a blank space (on my screen, at least.) That’s where the link to Recipes is. The word is not there but if you click the blank space above Home it will take you to that page. Hope that works!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 10:23 pm

eek, can you tell me if it is fixed now? Thanks :)

Michelle June 30, 2010 at 10:32 pm

Yes – with Home at the end of the list, Recipes is now viewable ;)

rachael June 29, 2010 at 9:30 am

What a great idea! I may use it in reverse though. Your food always looks so pretty:)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

Your breakfasts get better and better each day. I never think it’s possible, but somehow you pull it off!!

Shanna June 29, 2010 at 9:32 am

Love Sweat Equity piggybank. I think my end goal would be a pair of Christian Louboutins ;)

Miranda @ MirandasJeans June 29, 2010 at 9:33 am

Hmm I like the idea. As we don’t need the change for the Farmers Market, I might use toonies and loonies. I wonderin if that would motivate my hubby to come along on workouts with me, which with him coming along would motivate me more as I want to spend lots of time with him after him being gone for so long.

Maria @ A La Mode June 29, 2010 at 9:34 am

I’m not sure if you mentioned it, but is your Sweat Equity going towards a specific purchase you’ve been wanting to make?

As always, VOO look amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 6:29 pm

haha nope :P

Morgan @ Life After Bagels June 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

You are always so polished with your projects. If that was my jar it would be scribbled on a post it and slapped on . . . and probably spelled wrong

adrienmelaine (confessionsofahealthnut) June 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

I wish I had that kind of change to spare- I need a clean eating jar- 5 bucks a day when I eat clean- that I feel like I could afford- maybe do it at I stop buying coffee out, that money can just scoot on over to a jar- at the end of the month there might be new Lulus in it for me!

Ameena June 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

I love the Sweat Equity idea…I can imagine about 100 things I’d buy with that money. I’d probably start camping out at Anthropologie!

Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) June 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

What a fantastic idea! I’m printing this off as soon as I get back to Canada. Looking forward to seeing you on a sunny Saturday morning sometime soon <3
xo

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 29, 2010 at 9:37 am

I love the idea of a piggy bank, but I never ever have cash on me. Maybe I would have to go by the bank more often.

Mel June 29, 2010 at 9:39 am

I would definitely put the money towards something workout-related like a new running jacket or trainers. Maybe if you kept it up for a few months you would have saved up enough for a road bike? I give myself rewards for reaching certain fitness goals and write up what the rewards are going to be on a white board in the kitchen. E.g. I will get a new running top when I manage to run a 5k in under 25 minutes and a new swimsuit when I swim 1500m in 30 minutes.

alyne June 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I like this idea a lot, working out for workout toys :) Makes it worth it! Good investment

Courtney @ Three Months June 29, 2010 at 9:39 am

EVERY time you make a variation of banana soft serve, I drool. :)

Kara @ MyWellnest June 29, 2010 at 9:39 am

The Sweat Equity piggy bank is a great idea!!!

Rebel Road Sister June 29, 2010 at 9:41 am

GREAT IDEA!!

Brittany June 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

What a great workout motivator! I agree with Jessica though I’d probably be using quarters or dollars. :)

Evelyn @ cheers2healthy June 29, 2010 at 9:45 am

What a cute idea! I support you!!

Lindsay (Summit Sandwiches) June 29, 2010 at 9:52 am

I love this idea! Too bad I could probably only afford to put in quarters! Lol. Five dollar and 10 dollar bills would provide major workout incentive. I can’t wait to see what you put the money toward at the end of the month!

Erin June 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

Wow, your VOO always look amazing!! So amazing in fact that I’m such an addict now….can’t start a morning with out a good VOO!! :)

Therese June 29, 2010 at 10:00 am

Awesome idea! I keep a reward box where I’ve put about 20 small slips of paper in them all with a reward on them and any time I do something I’m particularly proud of health-wise, I get to choose something! I made up a pretty box and keep it out to see! It’s a great tool!

Callie June 29, 2010 at 10:03 am

Love the workout piggy bank idea. :)
I have one with a couple of pennies in it. Haha.
Your VOO looks so good.

Julie @SavvyEats June 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

Your jar and bucket are both so cute and such great ideas! Love them. :)

Kristina June 29, 2010 at 10:04 am

“Sweat Equity” is clever! :)

I started my bank yesterday… you could maybe use yours for a new yellow lululemon… :)

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) June 29, 2010 at 10:06 am

A workout piggy bank is such a fun, creative idea! Talk about keeping things interesting. I love it! :D

I also love your breakfast and the cup that you used for it. :D

Wei-Wei June 29, 2010 at 10:12 am

What a cute bank! All those 5s and 10s will surely build up eventually… then you can buy yourself something nice! Your breakfast looks seriously amazing. I’ve never heard of Saskatoon berries before! They sound quite interesting ;)

Wei-Wei

Sarah June 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

Ooh, I love using money banks as motivation! I used one to purchase a jacket at Lululemon. Love that store but super expensive!!

Your breakfastes would have me leaping out of bed in the morning….talk about sweet dreams :)

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 29, 2010 at 10:23 am

Workout piggy bank – awesome idea!! If only I could find some cash to put in it :P

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

What a cute idea!! and a profitable one! haha

[email protected] June 29, 2010 at 10:26 am

1) Your fitness bucket list is too cute
2) That coconut butter bread looks AMAZING!
3) I love your blog — I’ve already bookmarked about 20 recipes that I want to try! :)

[email protected] June 29, 2010 at 10:30 am

1) Your fitness bucket list is too cute
2) That coconut butter bread looks AMAZING!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm

thanks :)

Ed June 29, 2010 at 10:35 am

Your Sweat Equity jar is adorable! I love it! I might have to start one for myself. I also love the idea of a fitness bucket list. How is yours coming along?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm

It’s stagnant at the moment…I ticked 4 things off the list but nothing as of late I dont think!

Lindsay June 29, 2010 at 10:36 am

Another amazing idea! And an absolutely scrumptious looking VOO!!

Meredith June 29, 2010 at 10:39 am

Born and raised in Saskatoon! The softserve looks delish.

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 29, 2010 at 10:48 am

what a cool idea for the soft serve! i’ve never even heard of those berries, but they look beautiful! also, you and Gena inspired my ice cream breakfast yesterday…yummy! http://heathersdish.com/2010/06/29/ice-cream-for-breakfast/

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 29, 2010 at 10:50 am

I love this workout piggy bank idea! I think I’m going to use it to help me get into doing yoga!

*Andrea* June 29, 2010 at 10:59 am

what a sweet idea ;)
you’re so amazing/inspiring!!

Melissa June 29, 2010 at 11:14 am

What a fabulous idea! I would love to reward myself for my workouts:) I love the fitness bucket list too:)
The hubs and I just recently moved into our first house and we have a spare room that I would love to become my inspiration room! A fitness bucket would go perfectly on the wall.
Again your VOO looks so amazing! Love how you used saskatoon berries.

Samantha June 29, 2010 at 11:37 am

your money is so much cooler than ours! I LOVE that bucket list! What a great idea and super cute!

Grace June 29, 2010 at 11:40 am

I have to use this piggy bank idea . . . and that way I won’t feel so bad about the money I spent this weekend on an ipod shuffle to keep me motivated:)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' June 29, 2010 at 11:51 am

What a fun idea! I love calling it “Sweat Equity.” :)

While I haven’t been using a piggy bank to make it “official,” I have promised myself a new celebratory outfit after doing my first month of Insanity workouts! New clothes are always good motivation for me!

Erica June 29, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Okay – first – how do you ALWAYS make your meals look so fabulous? Really? I am posting today on ugly meals (that taste good)- the antonym to your deeelish features:)

But re: the piggy bank – I love that idea. It is a great idea – and actually – i think there are various uses for it. I might do one for my daughter for listening (ha!) – and then for myself for being good to myself and listening to my body. What a fab idea. Seriously.

Jennifer @ shesafitchick June 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm

This is a FANTASTIC idea! I am totally going to start doing this. Thanks for sharing! :) xoxo

Laura (youngDCliving) June 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I love this idea! Only problem is, I’d run out of money super quickly, haha :) I love Canadian money–US bills are so boring compared other countries.

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous June 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm

I just bought a huge bag of oats and will be trying VOO soon! Do you have a favorite recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm

The carob VOO with straw berry soft serve was good!

Sarah June 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Yay Saskatoon!! Lived there until about a year ago!
I love how you make everything cute…Love your Sweat Equity slogan!!

Devyn June 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Haha I dont have an income (im 16) but thats a cute idea! Like your last post, food motivates me to run! Okay speaking of food, I have only been increasing my mieage a little bit, I do about 25-30 miles a week, and I am SO hungry lately!!! Is this normal? I am like a bottomless pit

Amber K June 29, 2010 at 1:16 pm

I think it’d work better for me if I had to pay up if I DIDN’T do something. Having to pay the money feels more like a punishment as we don’t exactly have extra $$ lying around.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Love the idea so much, had to send that pic home to print off for my own piggy bank. The Bucket List is a good one too.

Thanks for the great workout motivational tools!

Leah June 29, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I’ve never tried Saskatoon berries before, and Ive always pictured them to look different.

I love the workout piggy bank idea. Its something I could totally see myself doing if I ever carried cash. I can totally see myself starting one, and then realizing I dont have any cash and writing myself a cheque instead. Kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm

OMG LOVE your piggy bank and bucket list! What great ideas – I think I may have to print off that snazzy logo ;)

sarah June 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm

the sweat equity bank is such a fabulous idea! i might steal it. i’ve been bad about starbucks lately and that adds up! i can earn coffee through workouts…yet might not even want mochas as much if i’m working out and have more energy! it is so hard to have energy at 5am though!

Michelle (Life, With Relish) June 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Your breakfast looks amazing! Thanks for always sharing your inspiring tips…what great motivation!!

Ester June 29, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I just bought my piggy bank.I plan to give the money to a non-profit foundation.

Jane June 29, 2010 at 3:18 pm

love the piggy bank have just made one- plan to kick the diet coke addiction ! realised I was drinking 6 + cans a day so will be contributing £1 ( live in london uk!) evertime I relace it with a water . I started when I wanted to lose weight so 140 lbs less of me but hooked on diet coke – horrified to discover that the sweetner is an appetite stimulant !

Kelly Olexa June 29, 2010 at 3:26 pm

OMG I love this Fitness Bucket List idea!! LOVE it. And that smoothie concoction is making me drool over ok? ;-)

Stacey June 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Wow, that breakfast looks amazing and the workout piggy bank idea is great; simple yet effective.

Love the blog by the way!

Melissa June 29, 2010 at 4:27 pm

I love the workout piggy bank and fitness bucket list ideas (and designs too). AWESOME! Your VOO always look so good.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 29, 2010 at 5:03 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the piggy bank idea :)

Allison @ Food For Healing June 29, 2010 at 5:17 pm

great idea with the piggy bank!

Saskatoon berry soft serve *drool*

I am in Saskatoon, i love this city. Born and raised.
Have only met one other food blogger from this area tho, where are you all????

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 29, 2010 at 5:21 pm

What a great idea! Any special rewards in mind??

xo
Kris

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 29, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Your VOO always look so good and messy.

[email protected] June 29, 2010 at 5:59 pm

What a great idea! You are so clever.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 29, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I love Saskatoon berries! I live in Regina, which is only 2 hours from Saskatoon … we go to Saskatoon a couple times a month because my mom and lots of my other family lives there.

Vanessa June 29, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I’m living in saskatoon right now, and we pick saskatoon berries on the farm where I’m from but there isn’t a very good crop coming this year :(

Kayla McQueen June 29, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Loving your blog here in Saskatoon!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 29, 2010 at 11:54 pm

That piggy bank is too stinkin’ cute!

& well your brex… it’s just SEXY!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 30, 2010 at 8:10 am

I love this idea! I could use it to save up for new gear like sneakers (gonna need new ones by September) and a Garmin!!

Paije June 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm

BOOOOSYAH!! I live in Saskatoon and looovve Saskatoon berries! I have some in my freezer from last summer :) Saskatoon berry VOO here I come!!

Fran July 5, 2010 at 7:56 am

I gave up smoking in 1973. Every day I put the cost of the cigarettes that I would have smoked in a jar. I kept our little VW in gas and insurance for that year. But having kicked the habit—PRICELESS!

Katie July 7, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I love the piggy bank idea. I do somewhat the opposite at work with my ‘Fit Fund’ and my ‘Fat Fund’ jars. I am a horrible snacker; if it’s salty and/or crunchy, I am powerless. My office has a monthly budget for food – not just catered lunches and soda like at other places, we also get free pretzels, Doritos, Cheetos, granola bars (the bad kind), cups o’ noodles, and chocolates (just to name a few) in an endless supply, just sitting on racks in all of the kitchenettes. A while back, I was griping about this to my husband and he said that sometimes the only thing that keeps him from snacking is not carrying cash for the vending machines. I thought ‘paying’ for the office food might be a good way to get me to stop eating it. I went and bought two jars and labelled one ‘Fit’ and the other ‘Fat’. I went to the bank and got a roll of quarters, $20 in singles, and 2 $5 bills and put them all in the ‘Fit’ jar. I assigned everything in the kitchenette a price (for example, a bag of Doritos is 75 cents and a Hershey’s kiss is a quarter); whenever I took food from the office stores, I had to move that amount of money to the ‘Fat’ jar (though they do also have some fruit; if I found some willpower and chose that instead, I moved $1 back). At the end of 6 months (I put another $50 in each month), the I took the money from the ‘Fit’ jar and went on a little shopping spree. The money from the ‘Fat’ jar went to a charity whose mission I don’t agree with. It was very hard at first to avoid the snacks, but it’s been getting easier as time goes on. I still keep up the jars, though, because when I’m stressed there’s rarely anything I want more than a bag of Cheetos. :/

Nicole August 8, 2010 at 2:25 am

Your recipes always look so good!
I’m only 19 and considering eating like this everyday!
But, the university lifestyle doesn’t give me time.

In regards to the saskatoon berries did you know there’s different flavors?
My grandparents used to own a u-pick berry farm in Alberta before they passed.
There’s, I believe, 3 flavors.
One is the most common one.
Another is a honey flavor
and another is an apple flavor.
And you CAN tell the difference. The apple one tastes very much like biting into a crisp, green apple! and the honey one is sweeter than the regular saskatoons.
If you can get your hands on the different flavors, I suggest you try them!
aaaand now I’m craving some.