Sweat Equity

Good morning!

After my post on inspiring workout tips on Saturday, many of you were asking me if I could elaborate on the workout piggy bank idea. I decided what better way to talk about it than to just start one up myself!

A workout piggy bank can be used as a motivational tool. While it is a financial reward, I think the strongest motivational aspect of the bank is that it is a powerful visual tool. Every single day you get to see a reminder of your hard work as you see the bills adding up.

The way it works is that you give yourself a pre-specified amount of money for each workout that you do. The great thing about this bank is that it can be applied to a wide variety of things such as kicking the smoking or pop habit. Each time you succeed at not drinking a can of pop or not lighting up a cigarette, you put that amount of money into the bank!

IMG_0863

I think this workout piggy bank is probably best used as a short-term tool when you are feeling like your workout motivation may need a boost. I wouldn’t use it all the time, but I think it would be fun to use now and then when you need a fun reminder.

IMG_0866

Can I just say that I LOVE that there is a hockey player on the $5 bill. :lol: (See it to the right of the face?). All kinds of awesome. The hockey player is rumoured to be ‘Rocket Richard’ for those of you who might know about this legendary hockey player. Apparently, I have listened to my dad gush about hockey for far too many years!

I decided to use $5 for a regular workout and $10 for a long or difficult workout. I was going to use a Toonie, but Eric told me we need all of our change for the Farmer’s Market, so $5 it was!

Of course, I channeled my inner DIY Network, and named it Sweat Equity.  :biggrin:

IMG_0877

(Not to be confused with SWEET equity, which is a whole other discussion!)  :tongue:

With the slogan, ‘Get a healthy Glo and make some Dough!’

I started after yesterday’s workout and $5 went into the jar.

IMG_0872

Should you wish, you can print off this image below and use it for your own workout piggy bank!

sweatequity

I haven’t decided what I am going to use the money on, but I figure I have a month to figure out.

If you like this workout tool, you may also like the Fitness Bucket List I did a while back. I still have it on my wall in front of me!

Click this image below to be taken to the post:

img-2956

Breakfast!

IMG_0883

This morning I made Saskatoon Berry Banana Soft Serve using 1 frozen banana, a dash of pure vanilla extract, and 1/4 cup of Saskatoon berries (any Saskatoon readers out there!?)  :biggrin:

I made the classic VOO to layer it with.

IMG_0912

I put a big layer of berries at the top.

Saucers are great for catching overflow!

IMG_0921

I loved the Saskatoon berry soft serve. I thought it was going to turn out too tart because the berries have a bit of bite to them, but their strong flavour actually went fabulous with the banana! I liked the Saskatoon berries better than when I tried blueberries.

IMG_0910

Deelish!

IMG_0906

Back to work I go. Have a lovely Tuesday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Nicole August 8, 2010

Your recipes always look so good!
I’m only 19 and considering eating like this everyday!
But, the university lifestyle doesn’t give me time.

In regards to the saskatoon berries did you know there’s different flavors?
My grandparents used to own a u-pick berry farm in Alberta before they passed.
There’s, I believe, 3 flavors.
One is the most common one.
Another is a honey flavor
and another is an apple flavor.
And you CAN tell the difference. The apple one tastes very much like biting into a crisp, green apple! and the honey one is sweeter than the regular saskatoons.
If you can get your hands on the different flavors, I suggest you try them!
aaaand now I’m craving some.

Katie July 7, 2010

I love the piggy bank idea. I do somewhat the opposite at work with my ‘Fit Fund’ and my ‘Fat Fund’ jars. I am a horrible snacker; if it’s salty and/or crunchy, I am powerless. My office has a monthly budget for food – not just catered lunches and soda like at other places, we also get free pretzels, Doritos, Cheetos, granola bars (the bad kind), cups o’ noodles, and chocolates (just to name a few) in an endless supply, just sitting on racks in all of the kitchenettes. A while back, I was griping about this to my husband and he said that sometimes the only thing that keeps him from snacking is not carrying cash for the vending machines. I thought ‘paying’ for the office food might be a good way to get me to stop eating it. I went and bought two jars and labelled one ‘Fit’ and the other ‘Fat’. I went to the bank and got a roll of quarters, $20 in singles, and 2 $5 bills and put them all in the ‘Fit’ jar. I assigned everything in the kitchenette a price (for example, a bag of Doritos is 75 cents and a Hershey’s kiss is a quarter); whenever I took food from the office stores, I had to move that amount of money to the ‘Fat’ jar (though they do also have some fruit; if I found some willpower and chose that instead, I moved $1 back). At the end of 6 months (I put another $50 in each month), the I took the money from the ‘Fit’ jar and went on a little shopping spree. The money from the ‘Fat’ jar went to a charity whose mission I don’t agree with. It was very hard at first to avoid the snacks, but it’s been getting easier as time goes on. I still keep up the jars, though, because when I’m stressed there’s rarely anything I want more than a bag of Cheetos. :/

Fran July 5, 2010

I gave up smoking in 1973. Every day I put the cost of the cigarettes that I would have smoked in a jar. I kept our little VW in gas and insurance for that year. But having kicked the habit—PRICELESS!

Paije June 30, 2010

BOOOOSYAH!! I live in Saskatoon and looovve Saskatoon berries! I have some in my freezer from last summer :) Saskatoon berry VOO here I come!!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 30, 2010

I love this idea! I could use it to save up for new gear like sneakers (gonna need new ones by September) and a Garmin!!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 29, 2010

That piggy bank is too stinkin’ cute!

& well your brex… it’s just SEXY!

Kayla McQueen June 29, 2010

Loving your blog here in Saskatoon!

Vanessa June 29, 2010

I’m living in saskatoon right now, and we pick saskatoon berries on the farm where I’m from but there isn’t a very good crop coming this year :(

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 29, 2010

I love Saskatoon berries! I live in Regina, which is only 2 hours from Saskatoon … we go to Saskatoon a couple times a month because my mom and lots of my other family lives there.

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 29, 2010

What a great idea! You are so clever.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 29, 2010

Your VOO always look so good and messy.

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 29, 2010

What a great idea! Any special rewards in mind??

xo
Kris

Allison @ Food For Healing June 29, 2010

great idea with the piggy bank!

Saskatoon berry soft serve *drool*

I am in Saskatoon, i love this city. Born and raised.
Have only met one other food blogger from this area tho, where are you all????

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 29, 2010

LOVE LOVE LOVE the piggy bank idea :)

Melissa June 29, 2010

I love the workout piggy bank and fitness bucket list ideas (and designs too). AWESOME! Your VOO always look so good.

Stacey June 29, 2010

Wow, that breakfast looks amazing and the workout piggy bank idea is great; simple yet effective.

Love the blog by the way!

Kelly Olexa June 29, 2010

OMG I love this Fitness Bucket List idea!! LOVE it. And that smoothie concoction is making me drool over ok? ;-)

Jane June 29, 2010

love the piggy bank have just made one- plan to kick the diet coke addiction ! realised I was drinking 6 + cans a day so will be contributing £1 ( live in london uk!) evertime I relace it with a water . I started when I wanted to lose weight so 140 lbs less of me but hooked on diet coke – horrified to discover that the sweetner is an appetite stimulant !

Ester June 29, 2010

I just bought my piggy bank.I plan to give the money to a non-profit foundation.

Michelle (Life, With Relish) June 29, 2010

Your breakfast looks amazing! Thanks for always sharing your inspiring tips…what great motivation!!

sarah June 29, 2010

the sweat equity bank is such a fabulous idea! i might steal it. i’ve been bad about starbucks lately and that adds up! i can earn coffee through workouts…yet might not even want mochas as much if i’m working out and have more energy! it is so hard to have energy at 5am though!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 29, 2010

OMG LOVE your piggy bank and bucket list! What great ideas – I think I may have to print off that snazzy logo ;)

Leah June 29, 2010

I’ve never tried Saskatoon berries before, and Ive always pictured them to look different.

I love the workout piggy bank idea. Its something I could totally see myself doing if I ever carried cash. I can totally see myself starting one, and then realizing I dont have any cash and writing myself a cheque instead. Kind of defeats the purpose I think.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 29, 2010

Love the idea so much, had to send that pic home to print off for my own piggy bank. The Bucket List is a good one too.

Thanks for the great workout motivational tools!

Amber K June 29, 2010

I think it’d work better for me if I had to pay up if I DIDN’T do something. Having to pay the money feels more like a punishment as we don’t exactly have extra $$ lying around.

Devyn June 29, 2010

Haha I dont have an income (im 16) but thats a cute idea! Like your last post, food motivates me to run! Okay speaking of food, I have only been increasing my mieage a little bit, I do about 25-30 miles a week, and I am SO hungry lately!!! Is this normal? I am like a bottomless pit

Sarah June 29, 2010

Yay Saskatoon!! Lived there until about a year ago!
I love how you make everything cute…Love your Sweat Equity slogan!!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous June 29, 2010

I just bought a huge bag of oats and will be trying VOO soon! Do you have a favorite recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2010

The carob VOO with straw berry soft serve was good!

Laura (youngDCliving) June 29, 2010

I love this idea! Only problem is, I’d run out of money super quickly, haha :) I love Canadian money–US bills are so boring compared other countries.

Jennifer @ shesafitchick June 29, 2010

This is a FANTASTIC idea! I am totally going to start doing this. Thanks for sharing! :) xoxo

Erica June 29, 2010

Okay – first – how do you ALWAYS make your meals look so fabulous? Really? I am posting today on ugly meals (that taste good)- the antonym to your deeelish features:)

But re: the piggy bank – I love that idea. It is a great idea – and actually – i think there are various uses for it. I might do one for my daughter for listening (ha!) – and then for myself for being good to myself and listening to my body. What a fab idea. Seriously.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' June 29, 2010

What a fun idea! I love calling it “Sweat Equity.” :)

While I haven’t been using a piggy bank to make it “official,” I have promised myself a new celebratory outfit after doing my first month of Insanity workouts! New clothes are always good motivation for me!

Grace June 29, 2010

I have to use this piggy bank idea . . . and that way I won’t feel so bad about the money I spent this weekend on an ipod shuffle to keep me motivated:)

Samantha June 29, 2010

your money is so much cooler than ours! I LOVE that bucket list! What a great idea and super cute!

Melissa June 29, 2010

What a fabulous idea! I would love to reward myself for my workouts:) I love the fitness bucket list too:)
The hubs and I just recently moved into our first house and we have a spare room that I would love to become my inspiration room! A fitness bucket would go perfectly on the wall.
Again your VOO looks so amazing! Love how you used saskatoon berries.

*Andrea* June 29, 2010

what a sweet idea ;)
you’re so amazing/inspiring!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 29, 2010

I love this workout piggy bank idea! I think I’m going to use it to help me get into doing yoga!