Bird Scare Fail

Good morning!

You probably woke up to a new OSG design this morning, so I would like to say WELCOME! If you did not wake up to a new design, I suggest hitting Control + F5. My long-time readers may remember my first website design which was blue and minimalist. I always felt like that design fit so much better than the yellow design, so I tried to channel the original and bring back the blue! I also changed my tagline from ‘Food. Fitness. Fashion. Fun.’ to ‘Glow from the inside out’ because I feel like it better represents my vision for the website. You will also see a ‘Follow me’ tab on the right hand side. If you click on this, you can find my Twitter, Facebook, RSS, Youtube, and GMM + Glo Bakery websites all in one easy spot.

For those of you asking, the header picture was taken on our honeymoon in Athens! By the way, the European cities that I am featuring in my 1,000 words posts are all from our honeymoon cruise. We hit about 10 cities in 12 days.

This morning I got up and was craving a juice. I still feel like I am dehydrated since I started swimming!

IMG 6466 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

My juice contained: 8 small carrots, 1 large beet, 1/2 lemon, and a piece of ginger.

Felt much better afterwards!

Then I patiently waited for Eric to get up, like I do every morning!

Eric is a big sleeper (what I like to refer to as his ‘BS’), and unlike his wife, is not a morning person. I on the other hand love mornings. Ever since I was a child I was an early bird and I didn’t sleep much. OSGMOM tells me stories about how I would always kick her at 5am every morning while in her womb. I was also born at 3:13 am!

To pass the time, I cooked, of course.

I know Eric. He is weak when it comes to tempting smells wafting through the kitchen. I knew the lingering pancake smell would travel up to the bedroom and lure him downstairs.

However, sometimes in life, things do not pan out as we hope…

I actually had to drag his butt downstairs because the pancakes were getting cold!!! Hrmph.

IMG 6504 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

Nut Butter & Jam Pancake Sandwich

Pancakes:

• 1/2 cup whole grain spelt flour (other flours would probably work although you might have to adjust the milk amount)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate protein powder (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup Almond Milk

Directions: Pre-heat skillet on medium heat and lightly coat with oil (I used coconut oil). Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add the wet ingredients and use a whisk to mix well. Pour a small amount of the mixture onto the skillet and make tiny pancakes, no larger than about 3 inches in width. Because the pancakes are tiny, you will be able to flip them very easy.

While the pancakes are cooking, slice a banana and gather jam, nut butter, syrup, and coconut.

IMG 6475 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

Assemble the layers alternating pancakes with banana slices, jam, and cashew butter. Sprinkle with coconut and drizzle with a tiny amount (1 tsp) of syrup.

IMG 6506 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

I actually tripled my batch because Eric was very hungry, so I gave him two servings and me one.

IMG 6497 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

With a little ZING on the side…

IMG 6513 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

Our weather is the PITS here today. Our beautiful sun and 26C temps are gone. :( It is supposed to rain all day and be about 4C! I am thinking that another trip to the pool is in store later today…

I am going to help Eric finish painting the upstairs hallway today.

PS- That bird is still smashing into our window! After consulting OSG’s in-house pro, it was determined that birds smash into windows because they see their reflection in it and they ‘mistake the reflected bird for a competitor for territory or mates. It attacks the image in the window, trying to drive the other bird away.’

Yesterday, after making a plea on Twitter for ideas, I put up a stuffed animal in the window.

IMG 6401 thumb   Bird Scare Fail IMG 6402 thumb   Bird Scare Fail

Oh, Gingy, so cute, yet so creepy.

This was a BIRD SCARE FAIL. It did not work.

After I put this up, it would catch the corner of my eye and scare me all day long! lol. Once I looked at it and I thought it was a person! I hope the neighbours don’t see. ;)

I have read that one should put paper or something on the window so they don’t see their reflection, but I can’t cover all the windows!! He is smashing in 5-6 different ones over and over again.

See ya later alligata!

Jenny May 8, 2010

I love the new design! You look beautiful in that picture!!

Diana May 8, 2010

LOL @ the bird still smashing against your windows. That’s hilarious! Not a very smart bird, he.
Love the new layout, as I already told ya. This is definitely a better fit for OSG. :)

Sarah May 8, 2010

I think that is the most perfect plate of pancakes I have ever seen in my life.

Jennifer May 8, 2010

The new blog looks great! That pic of you is stunning!

Carolyn May 8, 2010

Oh, good lord. I am in so much food lust right now! I have been craving these pancakes (in all their various forms!) for as many days as you’ve posted about them, haha! I MUST HAVE THEM!
Oh, the tragedy of being a college student: I don’t have enough space to store the ingredients I’d need without risking them being stolen! Good ol’ dorm life…

I am thankful, though, that we have a breakfast/lunch place in town that makes amazing vegan pancakes! =) Perhaps I’ll hit that up in a couple of weeks, to celebrate the end of finals…

nicole @ Making Good Choices May 8, 2010

haha I can’t get over the bird! I need to make those pancakes, I love having pancakes for dinner made of whole wheat/spelt combo. I have to try them with nut butter now. I love the new design, it’s so fresh and clean and easy to navigate too!

grace b May 8, 2010

Just de-lurking a bit to say that I LOVe the new design! Also I LOVE that you put the “follow me” link on the right side of the page. Too many websites that have it put it on the left and it gets in the way of reading the post so good job!! Love it!

Jaya May 8, 2010

Angela, the new design is the bees knees! I love it! Beautiful!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 8, 2010

LOVE the new layout!!! Sometimes less is more :)
Poor little birdy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

Thanks guys! Makes all the hard work worth it to hear your nice words :)

Merry May 8, 2010

Hi Angela, What an amazing new design! Way to go!

My Mom had bird + window problems and to solve them she put up spider web decals. It’s a little strange and looks like Halloween if they catch your eye. But generally you don’t even notice they’re there. Or at least I don’t. She’s reported much success with this strategy.

Amber K May 8, 2010

How frustrating! I don’t have any ideas, but I hope someone can help you stop the crazy bird!

Tammy Root May 8, 2010

OMG! Before I even read your post, I have to say how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE the design and picture of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is awesome Ange!!! Who took that photo of you??? It looks so professional and gorgeous! It truly draws the reader in and gives a nice warm feeling — the colors are awesome. OK, now I am going to read your post. :)

SmilingJudy May 8, 2010

You need something like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13244 I bought something similar for my mom a few years ago and they seem to work.

Love the new look.

Karly (Becoming My Best Self) May 8, 2010

Ok, now it’s my turn – I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the new design and layout! I can only imagine how much work this was but it totally paid off. It looks awesome! Great job!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 8, 2010

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new design!! You are…well, glowing!! lol

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 8, 2010

Oh my gosh – the bird is still smashing into the windows? Ahh…obviously the repeated impact has made his little birdy brain not function correctly. Love the new design..the header is gorrrrgeous.

Shelly May 8, 2010

Great new design! It definitely glows!

Carrie On The Cheap May 8, 2010

LOVE the new site!!! It’s really awesome!

Wei-Wei May 8, 2010

Words cannot express how beautiful you are in that photo. And I love the new layout! I think it changed in the middle of my commenting last night… I was so surprised! My jaw literally dropped.

The pancakes look DIVINE! PB+J+banana FOREVER! :D

Have a wonderful Saturday! I hope the bird doesn’t hurt itself too badly.

Wei-Wei

Allison @ Food For Healing May 8, 2010

nice new theme, its very lively and Fresh!

thats crazy that you’ve got birds running into your windows THAT much. That stuffed animal would FREAK me right out if i seen it out of the corner of my eye haha.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 8, 2010

You look absolutely GORGEOUS in the new pic, blue is stunning on you! Love the looks of this breakfast- can’t go wrong with PB&J! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Sarah May 8, 2010

so…. I’ve seen all three website designs (does that make me a stalker?) and I have to say this one is my favorite! Beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

haha thank you!

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story May 8, 2010

Love the new lay out! Everyone seems to be going simple and it’s so nice! :)

ShrinkingGirl May 8, 2010

I think Gingy out of the corner of my eye would make me scream like a little girl and run for the hills! That bird is obviously a terminator bird or something.

Jenna May 8, 2010

I LOVE the new design, you are so gorgeous in that photo ! :)

Lisa May 8, 2010

The red in that smoothie is intense!! Love the new layout too.

Meredith May 8, 2010

Wow! What a change! Looks fab.

Wen May 8, 2010

Birds fly into windows because they think they have a clear shot through. They can’t see the window they just see an opening. I have the same problem because we live in the woods. All we have been able to do is pull the curtains at high feeding times:( most don’t die, usually they are just stunned. I just put them in a safe place out of the wind and 9 times out of 10 they fly away in a little while.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

Yes they do it for that reason too, but when they do it over and over for hours over the course of day, it is said to be likely because they think it is another bird and they are fighting for territory and mates.

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 8, 2010

I love the new design! You’re right, it really reflects you and your philosophy. Great job, I know how much time and effort you put into it and it shows!!!

PRT May 8, 2010

Love the new design! Simple and minimalist. And that photo is beautiful!

About the birds: I can’t give you ideas. the same happens when I was in school during the spring several times a day, birds came smashing to the class windows. And just FYI: we put newspaper in the windows and they still smashed the windows (not so frequently, but still). After a few days, I think they get bored and stop doing it until the next spring. So my advise: be patient!

And now, to the kitchen to replicate that breakfast! Wish me luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

goodluck!

christina cadden May 8, 2010

mmm, those pancakes look amazing!

Colleen May 8, 2010

I had to click through from my google reader to see the new design, and girl you are just beautiful!

So sorry to hear about the bird. :( That would make me sad and drive me crazy.

Hilary (Red Head, Yellow Dog) May 8, 2010

hmm looks like my comment got deleted?? If it didn’t sorry for the repeat but what was the website where you made those awesome photo books of your wedding and sketchie?? I wanted to do one of Toby for Jame’s birthday! thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010

uh oh i hope there are issues with comments again..I was modifying the css file so maybe that was why (I broke something for a few secs. lol)

Its blurb.com!

Robyn May 8, 2010

Maybe somewhere on the deck or in the backyard, you could put a few of those owls that are supposed to keep smaller birds away?

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 8, 2010

Angela, I absolutely LOVE your new layout! It’s absolutely gorgeous!!!!

William May 8, 2010

The new design looks awesome! (and so do the pancakes!)

lindsay May 8, 2010

too funny! Love the gingy and love the new design even more!! Beautiful!

Stephanie Shifrin May 8, 2010

I love the new colors and layout. Really serene and nice. LOL about the bird. and yes Gingy is a little creepy but cute! I look forward to waking up to Oh She Glows each day! Thanks for always keeping it interesting and positive.

xx

Steph

Erin May 8, 2010

The new design is great. I love the new tagline too. Perfect! I’ve been wondering…what kind of juicer do you have? I am convinced that I *need* a juicer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010