Bird Scare Fail

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 8, 2010

Good morning!

You probably woke up to a new OSG design this morning, so I would like to say WELCOME! If you did not wake up to a new design, I suggest hitting Control + F5. My long-time readers may remember my first website design which was blue and minimalist. I always felt like that design fit so much better than the yellow design, so I tried to channel the original and bring back the blue! I also changed my tagline from ‘Food. Fitness. Fashion. Fun.’ to ‘Glow from the inside out’ because I feel like it better represents my vision for the website. You will also see a ‘Follow me’ tab on the right hand side. If you click on this, you can find my Twitter, Facebook, RSS, Youtube, and GMM + Glo Bakery websites all in one easy spot.

For those of you asking, the header picture was taken on our honeymoon in Athens! By the way, the European cities that I am featuring in my 1,000 words posts are all from our honeymoon cruise. We hit about 10 cities in 12 days.

This morning I got up and was craving a juice. I still feel like I am dehydrated since I started swimming!

IMG_6466

My juice contained: 8 small carrots, 1 large beet, 1/2 lemon, and a piece of ginger.

Felt much better afterwards!

Then I patiently waited for Eric to get up, like I do every morning!

Eric is a big sleeper (what I like to refer to as his ‘BS’), and unlike his wife, is not a morning person. I on the other hand love mornings. Ever since I was a child I was an early bird and I didn’t sleep much. OSGMOM tells me stories about how I would always kick her at 5am every morning while in her womb. I was also born at 3:13 am!

To pass the time, I cooked, of course.

I know Eric. He is weak when it comes to tempting smells wafting through the kitchen. I knew the lingering pancake smell would travel up to the bedroom and lure him downstairs.

However, sometimes in life, things do not pan out as we hope…

I actually had to drag his butt downstairs because the pancakes were getting cold!!! Hrmph.

IMG_6504

Nut Butter & Jam Pancake Sandwich

Pancakes:

• 1/2 cup whole grain spelt flour (other flours would probably work although you might have to adjust the milk amount)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • pinch of sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate protein powder (optional)
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup Almond Milk

Directions: Pre-heat skillet on medium heat and lightly coat with oil (I used coconut oil). Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl and then add the wet ingredients and use a whisk to mix well. Pour a small amount of the mixture onto the skillet and make tiny pancakes, no larger than about 3 inches in width. Because the pancakes are tiny, you will be able to flip them very easy.

While the pancakes are cooking, slice a banana and gather jam, nut butter, syrup, and coconut.

IMG_6475

Assemble the layers alternating pancakes with banana slices, jam, and cashew butter. Sprinkle with coconut and drizzle with a tiny amount (1 tsp) of syrup.

IMG_6506

I actually tripled my batch because Eric was very hungry, so I gave him two servings and me one.

IMG_6497

With a little ZING on the side…

IMG_6513

Our weather is the PITS here today. Our beautiful sun and 26C temps are gone. :( It is supposed to rain all day and be about 4C! I am thinking that another trip to the pool is in store later today…

I am going to help Eric finish painting the upstairs hallway today.

PS- That bird is still smashing into our window! After consulting OSG’s in-house pro, it was determined that birds smash into windows because they see their reflection in it and they ‘mistake the reflected bird for a competitor for territory or mates. It attacks the image in the window, trying to drive the other bird away.’

Yesterday, after making a plea on Twitter for ideas, I put up a stuffed animal in the window.

IMG_6401 IMG_6402

Oh, Gingy, so cute, yet so creepy.

This was a BIRD SCARE FAIL. It did not work.

After I put this up, it would catch the corner of my eye and scare me all day long! lol. Once I looked at it and I thought it was a person! I hope the neighbours don’t see. ;)

I have read that one should put paper or something on the window so they don’t see their reflection, but I can’t cover all the windows!! He is smashing in 5-6 different ones over and over again.

See ya later alligata!

Jenny May 8, 2010 at 9:53 am

I love the new design! You look beautiful in that picture!!

Diana May 8, 2010 at 9:54 am

LOL @ the bird still smashing against your windows. That’s hilarious! Not a very smart bird, he.
Love the new layout, as I already told ya. This is definitely a better fit for OSG. :)

Sarah May 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

I think that is the most perfect plate of pancakes I have ever seen in my life.

Jennifer May 8, 2010 at 10:14 am

The new blog looks great! That pic of you is stunning!

Carolyn May 8, 2010 at 10:15 am

Oh, good lord. I am in so much food lust right now! I have been craving these pancakes (in all their various forms!) for as many days as you’ve posted about them, haha! I MUST HAVE THEM!
Oh, the tragedy of being a college student: I don’t have enough space to store the ingredients I’d need without risking them being stolen! Good ol’ dorm life…

I am thankful, though, that we have a breakfast/lunch place in town that makes amazing vegan pancakes! =) Perhaps I’ll hit that up in a couple of weeks, to celebrate the end of finals…

nicole @ Making Good Choices May 8, 2010 at 10:17 am

haha I can’t get over the bird! I need to make those pancakes, I love having pancakes for dinner made of whole wheat/spelt combo. I have to try them with nut butter now. I love the new design, it’s so fresh and clean and easy to navigate too!

grace b May 8, 2010 at 10:19 am

Just de-lurking a bit to say that I LOVe the new design! Also I LOVE that you put the “follow me” link on the right side of the page. Too many websites that have it put it on the left and it gets in the way of reading the post so good job!! Love it!

Jaya May 8, 2010 at 10:20 am

Angela, the new design is the bees knees! I love it! Beautiful!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing May 8, 2010 at 10:21 am

LOVE the new layout!!! Sometimes less is more :)
Poor little birdy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 10:21 am

Thanks guys! Makes all the hard work worth it to hear your nice words :)

Merry May 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

Hi Angela, What an amazing new design! Way to go!

My Mom had bird + window problems and to solve them she put up spider web decals. It’s a little strange and looks like Halloween if they catch your eye. But generally you don’t even notice they’re there. Or at least I don’t. She’s reported much success with this strategy.

Amber K May 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

How frustrating! I don’t have any ideas, but I hope someone can help you stop the crazy bird!

Tammy Root May 8, 2010 at 10:32 am

OMG! Before I even read your post, I have to say how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE the design and picture of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is awesome Ange!!! Who took that photo of you??? It looks so professional and gorgeous! It truly draws the reader in and gives a nice warm feeling — the colors are awesome. OK, now I am going to read your post. :)

SmilingJudy May 8, 2010 at 10:34 am

You need something like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=13244 I bought something similar for my mom a few years ago and they seem to work.

Love the new look.

Karly (Becoming My Best Self) May 8, 2010 at 10:35 am

Ok, now it’s my turn – I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the new design and layout! I can only imagine how much work this was but it totally paid off. It looks awesome! Great job!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg May 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new design!! You are…well, glowing!! lol

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 8, 2010 at 10:42 am

Oh my gosh – the bird is still smashing into the windows? Ahh…obviously the repeated impact has made his little birdy brain not function correctly. Love the new design..the header is gorrrrgeous.

Shelly May 8, 2010 at 10:44 am

Great new design! It definitely glows!

Carrie On The Cheap May 8, 2010 at 10:44 am

LOVE the new site!!! It’s really awesome!

Wei-Wei May 8, 2010 at 10:44 am

Words cannot express how beautiful you are in that photo. And I love the new layout! I think it changed in the middle of my commenting last night… I was so surprised! My jaw literally dropped.

The pancakes look DIVINE! PB+J+banana FOREVER! :D

Have a wonderful Saturday! I hope the bird doesn’t hurt itself too badly.

Wei-Wei

Allison @ Food For Healing May 8, 2010 at 10:48 am

nice new theme, its very lively and Fresh!

thats crazy that you’ve got birds running into your windows THAT much. That stuffed animal would FREAK me right out if i seen it out of the corner of my eye haha.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine May 8, 2010 at 10:48 am

You look absolutely GORGEOUS in the new pic, blue is stunning on you! Love the looks of this breakfast- can’t go wrong with PB&J! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Sarah May 8, 2010 at 10:51 am

so…. I’ve seen all three website designs (does that make me a stalker?) and I have to say this one is my favorite! Beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

haha thank you!

Tonyne @ Unlikely Success Story May 8, 2010 at 10:54 am

Love the new lay out! Everyone seems to be going simple and it’s so nice! :)

ShrinkingGirl May 8, 2010 at 10:55 am

I think Gingy out of the corner of my eye would make me scream like a little girl and run for the hills! That bird is obviously a terminator bird or something.

Jenna May 8, 2010 at 10:56 am

I LOVE the new design, you are so gorgeous in that photo ! :)

Lisa May 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

The red in that smoothie is intense!! Love the new layout too.

Meredith May 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

Wow! What a change! Looks fab.

Wen May 8, 2010 at 11:00 am

Birds fly into windows because they think they have a clear shot through. They can’t see the window they just see an opening. I have the same problem because we live in the woods. All we have been able to do is pull the curtains at high feeding times:( most don’t die, usually they are just stunned. I just put them in a safe place out of the wind and 9 times out of 10 they fly away in a little while.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 11:10 am

Yes they do it for that reason too, but when they do it over and over for hours over the course of day, it is said to be likely because they think it is another bird and they are fighting for territory and mates.

Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 8, 2010 at 11:04 am

I love the new design! You’re right, it really reflects you and your philosophy. Great job, I know how much time and effort you put into it and it shows!!!

PRT May 8, 2010 at 11:04 am

Love the new design! Simple and minimalist. And that photo is beautiful!

About the birds: I can’t give you ideas. the same happens when I was in school during the spring several times a day, birds came smashing to the class windows. And just FYI: we put newspaper in the windows and they still smashed the windows (not so frequently, but still). After a few days, I think they get bored and stop doing it until the next spring. So my advise: be patient!

And now, to the kitchen to replicate that breakfast! Wish me luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 11:09 am

goodluck!

christina cadden May 8, 2010 at 11:13 am

mmm, those pancakes look amazing!

Colleen May 8, 2010 at 11:14 am

I had to click through from my google reader to see the new design, and girl you are just beautiful!

So sorry to hear about the bird. :( That would make me sad and drive me crazy.

Hilary (Red Head, Yellow Dog) May 8, 2010 at 11:17 am

hmm looks like my comment got deleted?? If it didn’t sorry for the repeat but what was the website where you made those awesome photo books of your wedding and sketchie?? I wanted to do one of Toby for Jame’s birthday! thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 11:37 am

uh oh i hope there are issues with comments again..I was modifying the css file so maybe that was why (I broke something for a few secs. lol)

Its blurb.com!

Robyn May 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

Maybe somewhere on the deck or in the backyard, you could put a few of those owls that are supposed to keep smaller birds away?

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 8, 2010 at 11:20 am

Angela, I absolutely LOVE your new layout! It’s absolutely gorgeous!!!!

William May 8, 2010 at 11:24 am

The new design looks awesome! (and so do the pancakes!)

lindsay May 8, 2010 at 11:25 am

too funny! Love the gingy and love the new design even more!! Beautiful!

Stephanie Shifrin May 8, 2010 at 11:26 am

I love the new colors and layout. Really serene and nice. LOL about the bird. and yes Gingy is a little creepy but cute! I look forward to waking up to Oh She Glows each day! Thanks for always keeping it interesting and positive.

xx

Steph

Erin May 8, 2010 at 11:30 am

The new design is great. I love the new tagline too. Perfect! I’ve been wondering…what kind of juicer do you have? I am convinced that I *need* a juicer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Its a Breville :)

Ali May 8, 2010 at 11:33 am

The whole window doesn’t have to be covered – you can just put paper cutout a bird in your window. I’m sure you could find cutout patterns by googling it.

poor bird, it must have a pretty bad headache after hitting the window so much!

Bridget May 8, 2010 at 11:33 am

The new layout looks so fresh and exciting!!! Love the new slogan :) At first, when I typed in your website and the new layout came up I thought “wait….this isn’t Angela’s website?” , but then I realized the background had changed. Guess I’m slow at processing things haha!

Lizzie May 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the new web-site design!! It’s so fresh and I love the blue colour! My other half is also not a morning person. He constantly tells people that he married a rooster! However in the last 2 months he has dragged himself on weekdays to the gym before work, so I can’t pick on him too much :) Weather here is also gross, with some exciting thunder thrown in for good measure. Good thing I’m off to the movies with a friend this afternoon – BABIES!!!

Kilee May 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

Hey Angela! I love the new look of the blog. I am actually eating your banana ice cream over night oats as I read it! I hope that you have a great Saturday!

Julie @savvyeats May 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

LOVE the clean, sleek look of the new layout!

So… bird scare fail was human scare win? ;) LOL I would’ve done a bunch of double takes, too!

Also, just tried my first Chi Glo bar yesterday…so good

Hallie May 8, 2010 at 11:51 am

I love the new layout! Congrats :-)

Elizabeth May 8, 2010 at 11:51 am

Hi Angela!

Love the new website- great job!

About the birds, we had the same issue and after a bit of research found these film cutouts that you place on the window called: Window Alert. It is a clear (looks a bit like etched glass) film which birds eyes see as a bright color and deters them from flying into your window(s).

I got these from our local Wild Bird shop (4 for $7.50). They need to be replaced every 6-8 months. Since we’ve put these on (you put them on the OUTSIDE of the window), we haven’t had any bird collisions with our bay window. They come in a few different designs such as maple leaf, snowflake and I think a flower. They are a few inches in length. I know how horrible I felt when bird would come careening into our window- that THUD! was a sickening sound. HTH!

Fueling for Fitness May 8, 2010 at 11:56 am

Hey Angela!

Thanks for visiting my page! I also wanted to say that I love the new website look! I am going to scour Toronto to find your bars in stores. I think they would be perfect at the Noah’s Health Food stores in Toronto (hint, hint)! I also run with the Running Room and last year we had a nutrition fair where different companies came and gave out samples/education about their various nutrition products to increase awareness, etc. It was a great way to communicate the benefits of their products to runners (our half and full marathon group is typically really big!) and of course to get word out on your products. I think something like that would be awesome for you as well!

-Alison

MarathonVal May 8, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love the beautiful new blog layout, Angela!

Melissa May 8, 2010 at 11:59 am

Wow Angela, you outdid yourself with this design. It looks absolutely gorgeous and so do you in that picture! The layout is so visually pleasing and so YOU. I love it! Congrats on another milestone for your blog. It’s a pleasure reading your posts everyday :)

Lisa May 8, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I am loving the new website design! It is classy, simple, yet beautiful. I also really like that I can actually read what I’m writing in the comment box!

Laura @ youngDCliving May 8, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Love the new design, that must have taken a lot of hard work! So different (in a good way, of course) ;)

Sana May 8, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Simple and elegant is the way to go!

gina (fitnessista) May 8, 2010 at 12:21 pm

i LOVE the new design. you are so beautiful- it’s kind of ridiculous, really :)
hope you guys are having a great weekend!
xoxo

Samantha May 8, 2010 at 12:29 pm

The new design is GORGEOUS I am in love with it!!!

Abby May 8, 2010 at 12:42 pm

My husband’s parents used to have similar problems with birds. They put relatively unobtrusive decals on their windows (I was able to find them by googling bird window deterrent), and they haven’t had any dive-bombing birds since.

Hope that helps!

Danielle (Coffee Run) May 8, 2010 at 12:48 pm

hahaha gingy is cute & creepy all at the same time. I’ve heard that bar soap will scare deer away, so maybe it will work for birds? lol You could just tape a bar of soap to the door ;)

I LOVE the new layout!

Katie May 8, 2010 at 5:48 pm

Yep, bar soap will do the trick. I used to work at a zoo and during migratory bird season we’d always soap up the exhibit glass. You don’t need to do the whole thing, just use a dry bar of soap to add a few streaks to the glass. We also used the bird decals mentioned above, but soap is cheaper.

Cynthia (It All Changes) May 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I love the new design. So perfect and simple. Much more you I think.

Can you get some sort of design to cover the windows but not block the light? That way the bird doesn’t see the reflection but you still see outside.

Heather (Heather's Dish) May 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm

i LOVE this new design! it totally and perfectly compliments the spirit of your words and you blog as a whole! the bird thing totally cracked me up yesterday! guess you’ll have to keep the windows a little less clean :)

Kirsten May 8, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Love the new design and photo of you!

Nina May 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new layout! :)

zoe May 8, 2010 at 1:16 pm

the new layout looks AH-MAZING! i love minimalist looks, too! the color scheme is really pretty, too. those pancakes look SO GOOD!! i have to make some soon, VERY soon :) but i’ve filled my banana quota today, i’m thinking. (2!)

the reason: I RAN MY FIRST 10K TODAY! i just wanted to stop by and let you know that you were such a big part of my inspiration to sign up. not only was it a BEAUTIFUL run, but i FELT beautiful at the end. thank you so much for your blog and everything you do :)

Run Sarah May 8, 2010 at 1:45 pm

LOVE the new design! Your AM pancakes look amazing, as always!

erica May 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm

angela the new layout is gorgeous! i absolutely love that picture!!! great job.
and now i’m craving pancakes!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life May 8, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Hi Angela!

I love the new layout!!! When you were talking about the new design, I was hoping that you would bring some of the blue back, and everything looks so great!

The Healthy Apron May 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

LOVE the new site design!!Looks great!

Cassie @ A Very Busy Mind May 8, 2010 at 2:12 pm

LOVE the new design! It’s so much more you (if that makes sense).

I *need* to try cashew butter!

Sue May 8, 2010 at 2:20 pm

We had the same bird problem with our picture window and solved it with a black hawk decal. Take a look at this page for ideas on how to make your own “hawk”.
I hope this helps – it’s terrible to hear that thud against the glass.

Carolyn @ lovinlosing May 8, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Love the new design! It feels fresh! :)

Laura May 8, 2010 at 3:15 pm

agree – new design looks great, very refreshing!!

Nic May 8, 2010 at 3:23 pm

LOVE the new design!!
LOVE the heather even more!!!
And YAY for those delicisous looking pancakes!!
Have to try them soon!!! Just found macadamia nut butter!
I’m eager to try it!

Julie Boyer May 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Love the new design, congratulations!

Amanda May 8, 2010 at 4:29 pm

I love the new design!! Easy to follow, bright and just cheerful :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas May 8, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Thanks! Those pancakes look like something I definitely need to make!

We have the same bird problem. I always laugh at them, and then I feel really guilty. Poor birdies.

Love the new look!

jessica May 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Angela, THOSE ARE THE MOST DELICIOUS PANCAKES I HAVE EVER SEEN! Ever. :) making those asap!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 8, 2010 at 5:32 pm

OMG, those pancakes are mouthwatering!! :o

Jenn

eatmovelove May 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm

Oh my God – you just stole my heart with those pancakes!! I hope you didn’t let the boy eat them all ! I LOVE Cashew butter…sooooo addicting – oye ;) bad news for me…these are genius!

eatmovelove May 8, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Do you use a juicer? Or does a super duper blender like Vita do the trick? I don’t do juices!…but just curious. like most things.

Bekah @ runtrackmind May 8, 2010 at 7:14 pm

OMG, what a beautiful new design. It is beyond fantastic. I am loving your pancake creations. Actually, “pancakes” was my mantra on today’s run. LOL

Jo May 8, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I feel your pain- its 5C here, dark skies and torrential rain today- I was wearing boots and a puffa jacket outside- apparently we don’t even get English spring/summers anymore- just winter :(

Jenn May 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm

Wow! Angela, the new layout is awesome!!
Must. Make.Pancakes tomorrow for Mommy day! Nom, nom, nom!!

Mary May 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm

I love your new design! So pretty and your header picture is gorgeous :)

Angelica (@angelica7641) May 8, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Love the new look and tagline. Very fitting. Congrats!

Ana May 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Love the new layout too, beautiful!
Ana

Kelly May 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm

The new design is amazing.

LisaG May 8, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Very nice new design. Love your picture and blue colors!!

Triathlonbabe May 9, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love the banner on your page now, very lovely pic of you and the title fits you and your mission as well. Not sure I like the actual page itself, however, I was only used to your yellow page and I thought it was so colorful. This one is a little bit drab for me but it’s not that I don’t like it, just gotta get used to it.

Those pancakes are so delicious looking…I had to print the recipe with the picture just to have the picture!

Danielle May 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Love the new website! And what a great photo.

Camille May 9, 2010 at 9:03 pm

Hi Angela,

I have been reading your blog for months now, it is fantastic! I read about your bird problem and at my university they have put up black paper cutouts of birds in the windows in the shape of a hawk or other bird and then the birds stay clear. Not sure if you want bird cutouts on your window haha but I am sure you could put some other sort of cheerful window sticker and it would work just as well.

Cheers

Camille

Katy May 10, 2010 at 2:17 am

Great new site design!! I wanted to make a suggestion regarding the bird scaring tactics. Here in Germany, people have these black or white adhesives that they put on their windows to keep birds away. They are in the shape/silhouette of birds and each is about 6 inches accross. Most people use about 2-4 per window. I think they work pretty well.

a May 10, 2010 at 5:44 pm

For the bird issue , they sell these bird shaped sticker things you put on the window so the bird doesnt fly in . You can just cut out a large one with dark paper and tape it to your window.
Probably a bout half the size of a piece of bristol board.