Parents For A Night

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing last night…I was having major issues with my laptop and Eric spent the day reformatting it for me. True love, folks, true love. :mrgreen:

IMG 4104 thumb   Parents For A Night

Last night, Eric and I had our nephew Patrick over for his first official overnighter at Auntie Angie’s and Uncle Eric’s house!!! I was very excited and had the baby monitor glued to my ear all night. Patrick was such a good sleeper too…he only awoke once in the middle of the night.

IMG 4096 thumb   Parents For A Night

Not surprisingly, I decided against signing up for the 10km race today because I wanted to be here with my nephew. I also found out that the drive to the race site was 1 hour and 50 minutes!! I wouldn’t mind driving that distance with friends, but since I would be going totally solo, it just doesn’t make sense for me to drive 300 km just to run a 10 km. I’m just going to go for a run around my neighbourhood later today. :)

After taking care of Patrick, I was starving for a delicious bowl of vegan overnight oats.

Coconut Carob Brownie Bomb Overnight Oats

Never used carob powder before? Well, here is your chance to experiment! Carob powder can be found at Bulk Barn and health food stores. Carob is naturally sweet so you need to use less sugar in recipes. It also contains three times as much calcium as cocoa powder and is caffeine-free.

Ingredients:

Step 1: Mix together in a bowl:

• 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1.5 tablespoons carob powder
  • 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
  • 1.5 teaspoons Amazing Grass chocolate protein powder (optional)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Step 2: In a small cup, mix together:

• 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon carob powder
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup

Before going in the fridge (note the coconut oil mixture was liquid form)

IMG 4130 thumb   Parents For A Night

Step 3: Pour melted coconut oil + carob mixture over the oat mixture. Place in fridge overnight and serve cold in the morning. Add more maple syrup or sweetener if necessary.

In the fridge the coconut oil hardened:

IMG 4140 thumb   Parents For A Night

I also ate my first breakfast outside this morning! It is just gorgeous out. :)

IMG 4142 thumb   Parents For A Night

Signs of SPRING!

IMG 4146 thumb   Parents For A Night

The portion seemed so small even though there were technically enough calories in it (approx 400?). So even though it should have kept me full, I was still feeling a bit empty after eating it so I made a huge green juice. It hit the spot! (Recipe will be coming up on a future Foodthinkers article).

IMG 4021 thumb   Parents For A Night

I also had some White Loose Leaf Tea by Four O’clock (I could NOT find their website for the life of me!):

IMG 4120 thumb   Parents For A Night IMG 4115 thumb   Parents For A Night

White Tea is VERY mild, especially compared to the Japanese Sencha that I drink. I mix half and half and it is wonderful! For those of you who find green tea too strong, you could try white tea as it has a ton of antioxidants in it and is super healthy.

Updates:

Today’s questions- 1) What fruit do you eat the most right now? 2) Imagine that you can buy any fruit for dirt cheap- what fruit would you eat the most of?

1) I eat the most of apples, however bananas are a very close second, especially now that I eat oatmeal and banana soft serve on a regular basis! 2) In a world where fruit is dirt cheap, I would definitely eat blueberries, dragon fruit, and cherries on a daily basis. I LOVE DRAGON FRUIT.

Coming up I will tell you what Eric has decided to cut COLD TURKEY from his diet and why he needs your help!

Ciao!

Lauren April 11, 2010

I have a question about coconut oil. I’m not too familiar with it and I’ve never used it before, but what are it’s health benefits/drawbacks. Since it hardens at room temperature (like butter) I would assume it’s high in saturated fat.
On another note, I love making overnight oats. I call it meuseli or swiss oatmeal. It really hits the spot!

Sara April 11, 2010

I’ve had the vegan overnight oats the past two mornings and I’m in love!! Sooo good, and so filling!

I eat a lot of bananas. If I could have any fruit dirt cheap, it would have to be mango. Over the winter, I used to be able to find them for 50 cents, but now they’re up to $2 EACH, and that’s not even an organic one! Organic ones are like $3 each. I just can’t justify paying $2 for a mango very often, even thought it’s one of my absolute favorite fruits. I also wish dates were cheaper. Those are definitely another one of my favorites.

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 11, 2010

I love the 4 O’Clock teas- their Peaceful Dreams blend is perfect for the evenings where you need to unwind. The fruit I eat the most of now would be bananas and last week was grapes. If fruit were dirt cheap- definitely strawberries, blueberries, and mangoes.
Good luck to Eric on his diet change- the best advice I could offer is prepare an even better substitute for when he would normally eat it- e.g. if he eats it for lunch, make something he likes just as much to eat at that time so he doesn’t feel like he’s “missing something”.

Jess @ MTL Veggie April 11, 2010

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter April 11, 2010

I’ve always eaten bananas quite a bit. I would eat STARFRUIT all the time! I just love the shape :)

Carly @ The Road To Health April 11, 2010

I eat a lot of bananas. I made a really yummy fruit salad yesterday morning for breakfast! (It’s pictured on my blog.) If I could eat any fruit all the time it would definitely be blueberries! They taste so good and they are SOOO good for you!

Midgetkeeper April 11, 2010

I bet you’re going to make an excellent Mommy some day :)

I eat a lot of bananas and strawberries.

If I could eat any fruit all the time it would be raspberries, blueberries and mangoes. It’s so hard to pick just one!

Molly (Fuel Her Up) April 11, 2010

I probably eat the most bananas, but my favorites are blackberries and cherries!

Lisa April 11, 2010

I eat a lot of bananas. I just got some Anjou pears and I always forget how much I love them. Really looking forward to strawberry season. :)

chai am woman April 11, 2010

love that you guys got to be “parents” for a night! babies are so fun.

i’m definitely a banana eater. bananas first, apples probably second.

if fruit were dirt cheap, i would be all over some raspberries and blueberries!

Meg April 11, 2010

That bowl of overnight oats looks amazing!
1) What fruit do you eat the most right now? Apples for sure!
2) Imagine that you can buy any fruit for dirt cheap- what fruit would you eat the most of? I would have to agree with you on blueberries…along with raspberries and fresh figs!

Lizzie April 11, 2010

Oranges!! One for dessert every night lately. Strawberries, cherries, green grapes, and pineapples are fruits I wish were cheap and in season all the time!

Jolene April 11, 2010

I probably eat the most of bananas and oranges equally. If fruit was dirt cheap, I would eat the most strawberries and cherries.

Sam @ Snowflakes and Sunshine April 11, 2010

I definitely eat apples the most. I think I have an addiction! If I don’t have my daily apple I’m not a happy bunny. I’d eat more strawberries if they were cheaper, I love them.

Staceyhttp://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ April 11, 2010

The fruit I eat the most is frozen berries and pears. If I could eat anything it would be fresh summer fruit. Like watermelon, peaches, and fresh berries.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing April 11, 2010

Those overnight oats sound delicious!!! I’ve never had carob powder before or seen it in stores but I’m going to have to look for it!
I definitely eat more apples and bananas than anything but if fruit was cheaper, i’d my weight in raspberries and blueberries!

Jenn April 11, 2010

Bananas, bananas and more bananas! There’s also lots of apples and grapes in our house! If fruit was dirt cheap, blueberries and cherries! Yum!

Ameena April 11, 2010

I don’t eat too much fruit anymore because I realize it kind of makes my stomach hurt. But I really love grapes so I make an exception once in a while!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is April 11, 2010

Bananas and strawberries! I also eat a lot of grapefruit and apples, though, too!

Jennie {in Wonderland} April 11, 2010

I eat a lot of apples, strawberries and cherries. Frozen cherries are where it’s AT! Only £2 for a big bag… I love them, especially in those Chocolate Cherry Bombe Green Monsters. AMAZING!

I would probably eat way more fresh raspberries, strawberries, blueberries… lots of berries! Also, I would buy everything organic.

I wonder if the carob/coconut oil mixture would be better fresh the next morning, instead of after hardening in the fridge? I just think a cold bowl of oats with a hot syrup would be delicious.

Diana April 11, 2010

Definitely bananas and pears. Also, apples! :) But banana is my number one. I eat at least one almost everyday.
If I could eat any fruit all the time… definitely berries. All berries :P

Christina April 11, 2010

I need one of those spoons! They’re so cute and colorful.

I eat bananas the most right now, since they are so cheap. But if I could choose any, it’d be berries – mainly blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.

La April 11, 2010

I eat citrus the most, and bananas in a close second. If I could choose, I would eat mangosteen every day for the rest of my life. I ca’t get them here in the US but we ate them every day in Thailand…they were my dream fruit I miss them so much@@

I m ade awesome overnight oats for this morning and as I was eating them I was thinking about you! I’ve also found I have the “still a little hungry” feeling after a smaller portion so I’m trying to bulk mine up just a bit more lately, a little more oats and more stuff in it.

Lauren April 11, 2010

Oooh, I want to hear about Eric’s plan! ;)

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) April 11, 2010

WOW those oats look good.

I am not a big fan of white tea- I love Japanese Sencha… guess I like it strong! ;)

I eat the most bananas, as well as grapefruits and oranges now, because they were in season for a while. If I had all the money in the world I would eat TONS of cherries, nectarines and grapes!! I LOVE all fruit though. It’s my favorite snack =D

xo
K

Danielle (Coffee Run) April 11, 2010

Your oats look so decadent! I love it :D

I eat the most apples right now but if fruit were dirt cheap I’d be buying raspberries! The organic berries are mighty expensive

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear April 11, 2010

Pineapple has been in sale here lately so I’ve been eating a lot of it.Granny Smith apples are always in my diet :)

I would eat all the exotic melons and fruit if I only had the money for it, everyday something new and delicious :)

foodandfarm April 11, 2010

awwwww…. how does that make you feel about parenting? ;)

have you ever heard of using coconut oil as an after shower moisturizer? It does WONDERS for the skin!

Katherine April 11, 2010

Wow, that’s so cool how it set over-night!
I wish fresh berries weren’t so expensive/hard to come by!
Katherine

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 11, 2010

I love babies! I bet Patrick is so cute!

I eat tons of bananas. At least one per day and sometimes more. If blueberries and raspberries were cheaper, I would eat a pint of each per day! :)

Jen April 11, 2010

Yummy overnight oats! You are so creative with your meals. Thanks for sharing!

I just read an article about white tea in Clean Eating magazine that says that the antioxidants in white tea are AT LEAST three times more potent at stopping wrinkles than green tea or pomegranate! I don’t have any white tea, but after reading about it twice in one day, I think I’ll pick some up the next time I’m at the store.

One Healthy Apple April 11, 2010

Overnight oats are hit and miss- sometimes they aren’t bulky enough to me me ‘think’ I have enough too!
I eat apples daily- hence my blog name! I eat bananas as well and love frozen berries.

If I could buy fruit for dirt cheap, it would have to be organic berries and as many kinds of island/tropical fruit as possible!

Sana April 11, 2010

Eric wears Lulu? LOL!

Stephanie April 11, 2010

I eat tons of apples and bananas. If money were no object, I’d buy grapes, pineapple and blackberries regularly.

Jil April 11, 2010

Ohh that overnight oats sound amazing – and glad you had such a good night with your nephew!! :) (even better that he was a great sleeper!)

Stephanie April 11, 2010
Marina April 11, 2010

I eat mostly apples and bananas, but as spring comes, I can’t wait to devour all those lovely fresh berries!

Judy April 11, 2010

Chocolate gives me a severe headache, so I have excluded chocolate from my diet. Do you think that Carob would have the same effect? It is not the caffeine as I have caffeine in my teas. I love all fruits, with blueberries, raspberries and mangos being my favourites.

I’m really not sure, but it would be worth a try I guess!~ Angela

Jill April 11, 2010

The fruit that I am eating tons of right now: organic red pears – they are perfectly ripe right now, really crisp and juicy and sweet! Normally I eat a ton of Gala apples, but they’ve been kinda mushy & mealy lately – what’s left of the fall harvest I guess. If I could eat any fruit… probably it would still be pears, pineapple, apples. Although I would like to try durian.

I’m excited to find out what Eric’s change is!

Amanda Meadows April 11, 2010

wow! Those oats LOOK and SOUND AMAZING :)

Page 1 of 212»