Parents For A Night

Hey guys, sorry for disappearing last night…I was having major issues with my laptop and Eric spent the day reformatting it for me. True love, folks, true love. :mrgreen:

IMG_4104

Last night, Eric and I had our nephew Patrick over for his first official overnighter at Auntie Angie’s and Uncle Eric’s house!!! I was very excited and had the baby monitor glued to my ear all night. Patrick was such a good sleeper too…he only awoke once in the middle of the night.

IMG_4096

Not surprisingly, I decided against signing up for the 10km race today because I wanted to be here with my nephew. I also found out that the drive to the race site was 1 hour and 50 minutes!! I wouldn’t mind driving that distance with friends, but since I would be going totally solo, it just doesn’t make sense for me to drive 300 km just to run a 10 km. I’m just going to go for a run around my neighbourhood later today. :)

After taking care of Patrick, I was starving for a delicious bowl of vegan overnight oats.

Coconut Carob Brownie Bomb Overnight Oats

Never used carob powder before? Well, here is your chance to experiment! Carob powder can be found at Bulk Barn and health food stores. Carob is naturally sweet so you need to use less sugar in recipes. It also contains three times as much calcium as cocoa powder and is caffeine-free.

Ingredients:

Step 1: Mix together in a bowl:

• 1/4 cup pumpkin
  • 1.5 tablespoons carob powder
  • 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
  • 1.5 teaspoons Amazing Grass chocolate protein powder (optional)
  • 1 heaping tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 ripe banana
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Step 2: In a small cup, mix together:

• 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon carob powder
  • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup

Before going in the fridge (note the coconut oil mixture was liquid form)

IMG_4130

Step 3: Pour melted coconut oil + carob mixture over the oat mixture. Place in fridge overnight and serve cold in the morning. Add more maple syrup or sweetener if necessary.

In the fridge the coconut oil hardened:

IMG_4140

I also ate my first breakfast outside this morning! It is just gorgeous out. :)

IMG_4142

Signs of SPRING!

IMG_4146

The portion seemed so small even though there were technically enough calories in it (approx 400?). So even though it should have kept me full, I was still feeling a bit empty after eating it so I made a huge green juice. It hit the spot! (Recipe will be coming up on a future Foodthinkers article).

IMG_4021

I also had some White Loose Leaf Tea by Four O’clock (I could NOT find their website for the life of me!):

IMG_4120 IMG_4115

White Tea is VERY mild, especially compared to the Japanese Sencha that I drink. I mix half and half and it is wonderful! For those of you who find green tea too strong, you could try white tea as it has a ton of antioxidants in it and is super healthy.

Updates:

Today’s questions- 1) What fruit do you eat the most right now? 2) Imagine that you can buy any fruit for dirt cheap- what fruit would you eat the most of?

1) I eat the most of apples, however bananas are a very close second, especially now that I eat oatmeal and banana soft serve on a regular basis! 2) In a world where fruit is dirt cheap, I would definitely eat blueberries, dragon fruit, and cherries on a daily basis. I LOVE DRAGON FRUIT.

Coming up I will tell you what Eric has decided to cut COLD TURKEY from his diet and why he needs your help!

Ciao!

Page 2 of 2«12
mandy April 12, 2010

I must be the most loyal New Zealander there is because I eat loads of kiwifruit – i love them, at least 2 a day and i live in Germany so they are not always cheap (actually they are never cheap here but I am happy to sacrifice other things). They are so good for you too.

Raspberries come a close second, they were the one thing I craved each time I was pregnant.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers April 12, 2010

I probably eat mostly bananas right now… if money (and freshness) wasn’t an issue- I’d eat a lot more mango and pineapple!!

Anna April 12, 2010

Apples in the fall, strawberries in the spring. If i could get good strawberries year round they would definitely win, but since I can’t I stick to my favorite of what’s currently in season.
Mmm strawberries… I may have eaten an entire carton of them today – lots of vitamin C – and deliciousness!

liane April 12, 2010

I eat an apple and a banana a day– the banana in my daily morning GM and an apple each afternoon. I’m seriously the pickiest fruit person there is… I will only eat about 4 types of apples, heaven forbid there isn’t a granny smith or a pink lady available and I have to make due with #3 or #4 on my list. Oh, and my bananas have to be purchased as green as possible and the moment there is a black spot on the banana, off it is sent to the freezer!

If I could have any fruit for dirt cheap, it would be raspberries. I LOVE raspberries.

Andrew Lowry April 11, 2010

I usually eat berries every morning with my high fibre cereal (rasp, black or blue berries). I also like to have an apple a day and a small orange. I like all fruit so it is hard to choose one but it would probably be raspberries.

No Easter my wife got a basket of fruit (selected from Sobey’s) which included a dragon fruit. She told the Easter bunny that she did not want fattening chocolate treats so the Easter bunny got fruit instead.

David April 11, 2010

Thanks for babysitting Patrick Auntie-Ang. Glad he was good for you.

For the fruit I would go with Blueberries and the already cheap bananas (cheap Dragon fruit would also be great).. or cheap mulberries!

Jacquie April 11, 2010

I’ve been eating a lot of apples and strawberries lately (because they’re been on sale at my Whole Foods), but if I could afford any fruit all the time, I’d definitely go for sweet cherries and raspberries. I also eat a lot of grapes on a daily basis because they are easy to snack on :)

Brenda April 11, 2010

Just wanted to say hi. I like reading about your blog. It is very interesting. I bought some Chia seeds for the first time and tried that today in my yogurt.

EaterNotARunner April 11, 2010

Apples and bananas for sure! But if money were no object, I would probably eat my weight in blueberries :-)

Lil Lady Bug April 11, 2010

MANGO MANGO MANGO MANGO MANGO!! I LOVE MANGO! Sorry for the capitals, but it’s sooo good! I am obsessed with mango! I have mango body wash,lotion, conditioner..and I ate a whole mango this morning. In my opinion, no other fruit exists except mango. I just hope I don’t make myself allergic by eating too much. If there was no price, I would have a fruitapalooza and make a giant fruit spread with fruits from all over the world and pig out!

ps: where can I find ur green monster recipes?

maria April 11, 2010

Right now I am eating a lot of apples, but I would love to have more pomegranate and grapes!

Jennifer April 11, 2010

Your overnight oats look so devine! Question does it taste very chocolate-y? It looks very rich. I guess the oats help decrease the GI factor.

I mostly eat Banana and apples. If fruit was dead cheap I would be eating all types of berries. But I can’t justify spending $6 for 300g punnet of berries. I buy them as special treats otherwise I buy frozen.

Triathlonbabe April 11, 2010

Gosh, I’m gonna have to get that overnight oats made so I can enjoy the taste of it…so many of you all and Angela make them sound sooooo yummy!

Strawberries, blackberries and blueberries and also lots of bananas are my favorite fruits right now. Watermelon would be the fruit I’d want all the time for dirt cheap, just wish it was available year round!

lucie April 11, 2010

I eat golden apples the most. I would eat fresh raspberries & passion fruits if money didn’t matter!!

Allison @ Food For Healing April 11, 2010

I would be every fruit under the sun! OMG i love fruit

Jim April 11, 2010

Loose leaf tea is great. Hands down better than any bagged tea!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 11, 2010

Apples are my staple fruit – but like you – bananas run a close second!

Lexi April 11, 2010

Oops, I forgot to ask: Chocolate chips are pretty high in fat (bad fat) for such a small serving, are carob chips any better in this sense?

Lexi April 11, 2010

I like overnight oats, but I had he same problem–not voluminous enough!

In terms of fruit, I’m a complete addict :)

With the exception of few fruits which are only “ok,” I love them all.

1) I probably eat apples most often, but I’ve also eaten plenty of citrus lately because they’re in season. I didn’t use to be a huge banana fan, but that soft-serve may have converted me.
2) Any fruit for dirt cheap? Endless possibilities! I’m lucky to live in Southern California where fruit is much more reasonably priced than other places (69 cents/1 lb strawberries and oranges for 15 cents/lb!), but I would have to say asian pears (or any type of asian brown pear), watermelon, and berries!

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 11, 2010

how fun…you think you guys could handle the real deal (kid-wise?!) i’m not sure if we’re there yet, but an overnight visit might help decide that :) i eat a lot of oranges and bananas, but if everything was dirt cheap i’d eat a TON of berries and pineapple. HECK YES!!!

Mandy April 11, 2010

Wow those overnight oats look awesome.
I think the fruit i’m eating the most of are grape fruits and bananas (and i used to hate both of them haha). If i could have any fruit be dirt cheap I think it would be strawberries, because sometimes they can be so expensive, but I want to buy them year round :(

Btw the website for four o’clock teas is http://transherb.com/ I just happened to have a box of their chocolate spice (soooo good) on my desk, and I looked on the bottom lol.