Break For Brunch

Landy got the cold shoulder yesterday!

IMG 8604 thumb   Break For Brunch

For THIS!!!!!!!!

IMG 8607 thumb   Break For Brunch

Our winters are pretty grey here in Ontario, so to see the sun like this is always very welcomed after a loooooong winter.

There was ice on our driveway, but luckily no ice on the roads for the first time in a long while.

IMG 8618 thumb   Break For Brunch  IMG 8620 thumb   Break For Brunch

Since I didn’t have any pace tracking abilities (my Polar HRM is broken), I set a goal of running without stopping to walk. I need to have goals on my runs or I fizzle out!

When I started my run I faced a COLD, strong wind. It took my breath away for the first 10 minutes. By minute 13, a single drop of sweat hit my nose and I knew I was going to make it. ;)

The run:

• Distance: a hilly 4.6 miles
  • Total time: 42:33 mins.
  • Avg pace: 9:13

I sprinted the last 100 metres as if I was finishing a race. It makes for a much more exciting ending rather than my usual fizzling out to a slow, dying crawl. :mrgreen:

I also ran without my knee sleeves again and had no knee pain. It is so freeing not to wear those annoying neoprene knee sleeves, I tell you! I feel a lot faster without them.

The rest of my day was devoted to laundry, cleaning, writing articles, and emails. It was a necessary evil catch up day.

Today is a FUN day however…

I am meeting 17 lovely ladies for brunch + shopping in Toronto!! We are going to a NEW vegan restaurant this time. I am excited to see how it compares to Fresh…After brunch we are going to cruise along Queen Street West and hit up a few stores.

I had this green monster to tie over my grumbling tummy…

IMG 1887 thumb   Break For Brunch

In the green monster: 1 cup hemp milk, 2 cups spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 tablespoon cashew butter (so good in GMs!), Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder, ice. Mmmmmmmm…perfecto.

Bringing a box of my favourite homemade cookies for the ladies…

IMG 1881 thumb   Break For Brunch

Oh! Almost forgot. I have a question for my lovely US readers…

What are the essential US stores I need to hit up while in Florida…clothing stores… fitness stores…foodie stores…certain brands of food…etc…all suggestions welcome! :)

Off I go! See you later for the recap.

Angela Signature thumb6   Break For Brunch

People don’t care about how much you know till they know how much you care. We need to listen to understand, not just to wait for our turn to reply. It’s in giving our undivided attention and listening with an open mind that we hear the true feelings of what the person is trying really hard to convey in words. -Unknown

Lindsay Perrone (goodiesgalore) March 7, 2010

Not sure if you have these in Canada but..
Anthropology- Clothes
Urban Outfitters- Clothes
Old Navy- Cheap workout and other clothes. (You probably have this)
Trader Joes- Food
Whole Foods- Food

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad March 7, 2010

Do they have outlet malls in Canada? If not, you need to hit some up in the US. If you hit them at the right time, they have the best deals!

So glad you could run outside today!

Have fun at the meet up!

shelly March 7, 2010

Excellent point! Florida has good outlet malls! (I’ve been to the one in Destin, I think.) I’d say definitely go to a Jcrew Outlet, Ralph Lauren Outlet, Nike Outlet (Yay for cheap and cute workout clothes), BCBG Outlet, Bananna Republic Outlet, Gap Outlet, and Tommy Hilfigger Outlet if you get a chance!

Mae @ OhhMay March 7, 2010

BCBG outlet is my favvvv!! I love all the ones you named, but don’t forget the Coach outlets! Such great deals there!
If you come across a Marchall’s or TJ Maxx, I highly recommend them. They’re like a disorganized form of outlets.

Mae @ OhhMay March 7, 2010

Oh, and Macy’s + Nordstrom!! :-P

Katie March 7, 2010

U MUST hit up Whole Foods love and they have them everywhere in Florida!! In fact Florida was the first time I was ever at Whole Foods!!! Have a wonderful day girl!! xoxo

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 7, 2010

I vote for Whole Foods too! Totally worth it!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2010

we have whole foods here…but im sure my arm could be twisted to go in FL hehe

Leah @ Simply Fabulous March 7, 2010

Have fun today!

jodie March 7, 2010

I totally agree with you with having goals when running. I do the same thing, it helps alot. Have fun today.

lindsay March 7, 2010

Don’t ya just love warm sunny runs! Beats the treadmill any day! I can’t wait to try Cashew Butter in my GM. I usually use sun nut butter so this will be fun.
LC

Gina March 7, 2010

As far as food goes, I always use happycow.net to try and find more local stores, rather than the Whole Foods bit. Although if you’ve never been to one, some are fairly impressive.

Meg March 7, 2010

WHOLE FOODS, obviously :D And outlet malls – great deals ;)

Hope you enjoy your day, Angela!

Danielle (Coffee Run) March 7, 2010

Spring is starting to peek out over here too!! I’m ready :D

Have fun at brunch! I would definitely suggest hitting up Whole Foods while you’re down here

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 7, 2010

Yay congrats on the fabulous run!! And have a great day! I would kill to go to a restaurant like that, we have zero around here :(

I hate to repeat what others have said but…
Whole Foods
Trader Joe’s
Publix
Target (do they have Target there?) is a MUST

Ryan @ Greens for Good March 7, 2010

lululemon outlet in Orlando :)

…but I think I’ve already mentioned that to you once or twice before!

Deva (Voracious Vorilee) March 7, 2010

If you are a shoe person, you should hit up DSW Shoes :-). For food, I’d say TJs or Whole Foods.

K March 7, 2010

Stores to go to…
- WHOLE FOODS
- Trader Joe’s

Products to pick-up…
- Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Joseph’s Lavash Wrap (and all of his products)
- Tofu Shirataki Noodles
- Yogi Chai Roobios Tea
- Seitan at Whole Foods (red box) is quite good

Enjoy! x

kalli@fitandfortysomething March 7, 2010

So glad you had a great run outside!

I am not sure what they do not have in Canada….I am with Lily-any outlet malls are great.

Recipes for Creativity March 7, 2010

Everybody has already suggested all the food places you have to hit up, and I definitely don’t know what to suggest for shopping places other than what’s been mentioned. You are going to have so much fun, I’m sure!

mountain girl March 7, 2010

That sky looks soooo blue! I agree- treadmills don’t have anything on the great outdoors!
Have you been to the Florida Keys? Key West, I’ve heard, is incredible. They cater to very alternative lifestyles-I’m sure they would have some great vegan restaurants. And I know from experience that the Everglades are really cool to airboat through. But then, you probably know that, having lived in Fla…!

Melinda March 7, 2010

Glad you got some warm weather. It’s always nice to enjoy some outdoor time. Have fun with your friends and I hope the new vegan place is wonderful. As for stores, I am totally overseas and have been for months, but I always like H&M and the levi’s store, I shop at Express and Sephora has good products (I usually use it for hair products), and DSW for good shoe deals.

Estela @ Weekly Bite March 7, 2010

Seeing a sunny day after a long grey winter is sooo uplifting!!!

I agree with everyone on the Whole Food’s trip! You’ll love it!

Faith March 7, 2010

Another vote for the outlet malls! Orlando is our outlet capital – so many great deals (and the UnderArmour outlet – not sure if you’re familiar, but they’re workout clothes – is to die for.) And you need to find a Publix Greenwise store – Publix is one of our major supermarkets and most of them have a Greenwise section with health/organic foods, but they’ve recently started opening freestanding Greenwise stores, which are pretty much a mecca of amazingness!

shelly March 7, 2010

I’m not sure what stores there are in Canada, but I’ll second the suggestions for Outlet Malls and Target. Do you have TJ Maxx in Canada? I never have much luck with the clothes, but you can get really good prices on decorative house stuff, shoes, and purses there (and some people like the clothes, I just don’t have a lot of patience). Some of our department stores are pretty good- I’m partial to Macy’s, Dillards, and Belks. Um, do you have Sephora- they’re awesome for makeup (I like Smashbox and Nars makeup).

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 7, 2010

Looks like SPRING!!! Yay!!!!!

Meredith March 7, 2010

Not food related, but I second the department store idea. Great cosmetics counters. There’s a particular Shiseido SPF42 foundation that I love that I can only find south of the border.

Also, I would totally pick up a new pair of running shoes while I’m there. The US tends to have a WAY better selection of Nikes and Asics. I’m always floored haha… *Look at the pretty colours!*

Meredith March 7, 2010

ps. I’m from Canada.. so south of the border = USA. not Mexico. lol.

ALSO, I can’t remember when you’re going, but I would look up what produce is in season there and track down a farmers market to shop. I was super jealous this February when the blogger at Cannelle et Vanille posted BEAUTIFUL photos of fresh tomatoes from Palm Beach Gardens GreenMarket because they were in season!!

shelly March 7, 2010

Oh yeah, Dept. Stores have great makeup counters. I like Clinique, Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Chanel.

Amie March 7, 2010

Have fun today at your get together! I agree with the outlet mall suggestions…the other ladies had great suggestions, so go with them ;)

Mandy March 7, 2010

aerie has some really nice workout clothes

Marissa March 7, 2010

Glad you were able to run outside! My husband e-mailed me that quote on Friday – so true!

christina cadden March 7, 2010

Your run looks nice!

EaterNotARunner March 7, 2010

I’d say hit up a Trader Joes!

And outdoor runs are SO amazing :-)

Carrie @ Love Healthy Living March 7, 2010

Do you guys have Anthropologie in Canada? If not, definitely check one out. The stores are so beautiful and you’ll find a million things you want! It’s a little pricey though, so I often just end up window-shopping.

Heather March 7, 2010

fleet feet is my favorite running store!
I think there is one in orlando, not sure where else, they have locations on their website.

The Healthy Hostess March 7, 2010

Yay for running outside! We saw the sun for the first time since it feels like a year ago – this weekend! I feel like since the sun is out I should get out my capri pants!
I would say Trader Joe’s is a must – but I don’t think they have them in Florida!

Adam March 7, 2010

Great Quote. Love it.

Ashley March 7, 2010

If your going to Orlando hit up the Nike Outlet store. Half off Nike stuff rocks!

Otherwise you oughta check with some fellow Floridian bloggers. They would be the best help.

Angela March 7, 2010

I was in Toronto yesterday and it was soooo busy because of the nice weather!
When in Florida you have to check out Marhalls & TJ Maxx…they are the US equivalent of Winner and they pretty much rock!!

Question – I want to buy a treadmill for our basement…what kind do you have & do you like?

Angela March 7, 2010

Oh….and you’ll love the Gardens Mall in West Palm Beach – they have everything: Anthropoligie, Lululemon, Zara….

Laura March 7, 2010

TRADER JOES! its a cheaper version of whole foods :)

Ameena March 7, 2010

Definitely Anthropologie, Lucy, and Trader Joe’s. And TJ Maxx if you are looking for some real bargains.

I think you have most everything else in Toronto!

sarah March 7, 2010

I dont know if they have it in Canada, but I think you should go Victoria Secrets!!!

angela @ a healthy fit March 7, 2010

I don’t live in Florida, but Urban Outfitters is one of my fav stores, DSW for shoes (I’m addicted), Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Forever 21 (cheap and trendy, but you can sometimes fun good stuff and/or cheap jewelry).

Hope you have a great trip!!

Jenny (Green Food Diaries) March 7, 2010

which vegan restaurant are you going to??

Page 1 of 212»