Game Night Crispy Potato Bruschetta

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on January 26, 2019

Do you ever feel like you’re on the verge of a breakthrough, but you’re not quite sure how you’ll do it? This has been my mindset lately. I’ve been so inspired in different areas of my life to create meaningful change with things like personal growth, career dreams, family life, etc. You could say that a little self-help inspo has struck me! I’ve felt stuck with indecision and fear for a while now, and the motivation finally hit me to actively do something about getting unstuck. It’s easy to just go through the motions each day.

For most of my life, I’ve always been trying to “fix myself”…this can be a positive thing (such as when I’m trying to be the best version of myself I can be), but it can also turn into a very toxic mindset. It’s easy for me to veer to the dark side of self-improvement and lose sight of my qualities and self-worth. Anyone who suffers from this tendency knows that it’s not a particularly fun way to live. You never feel “ready” because there’s always something to fix or a goal to achieve before being worthy of your and others acceptance. I’m working to make progress in this area. It’s kind of hard to explain, but maybe you can relate?

I have Dr. Brené Brown to thank for my recent bout of inspiration. I first became enamoured with Brené after watching her TED talk on vulnerability years ago and listening to her on Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations podcast. I’ve read The Gifts of Imperfection twice, and plan on reading it a third time soon (it’s a quick read and easy to devour in a couple evenings). There’s so much wisdom to soak up, and I learn things each time I read it. Currently, I’m reading Daring Greatly (which I’m finding slower, but still learning from it), and hope to read this one and this one next. I’ve been carving out some reading time in the evenings lately, and it feels so good to get back into it! I’m also (late to the party) using my Kindle reader on my phone and love how I can read a few pages here and there while I’m waiting for an appointment or when I have time to kill. I’d love to hear if you’re reading anything inspiring lately too!

“As children we found ways to protect ourselves from vulnerability, from being hurt, diminished, and disappointed. We put on armor; we used our thoughts, emotions, and behaviors as weapons, and we learned how to make ourselves scarce, even to disappear. Now as adults we realize that to live with courage, purpose, and connectionto be the person whom we long to bewe must again be vulnerable. We must take off the armor, put down the weapons, show up, and let ourselves be seen.”

~ Daring Greatly, p. 112.

5 from 7 reviews

Game Night Crispy Potato Bruschetta

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

The first time I made this healthy comfort food recipe, Eric and I had the song Ave Maria playing (Michael Bublé version...so hypnotizing!), and we fell into a trance as we ate crispy round after crispy round of potato bruschetta. Needless to say, we heard the angels singing and I think you will, too! This recipe serves two hungry people as a main or five as an appetizer. The best tip I can give you when making these is to serve it directly on the baking sheet (if you can!) as it keeps the rounds a bit warmer compared to transferring to a platter, and also to top the rounds and serve them right away. If they sit for longer than 10 minutes, they’ll start to lose their fantastic crispiness and soften considerably. This recipe is inspired by the Taco Fiesta Potato Crisps in The Oh She Glows Cookbook (also a delicious appetizer option!) and Potatoes USA.

Yield
30 potato rounds
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

For the potatoes:
  • 2 large (500 g total) Russet potatoes (unpeeled)
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) grapeseed oil or virgin olive oil
  • Fine sea salt
For the Avocado-Tomato topping:
  • 2 medium (7 g) garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup (15 g) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cups (344 g/12-ounces) grape tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
  • 1 large (240 g) ripe avocado

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220ºC) and line an extra-large (or 2 medium) baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
  2. With a sharp knife, slice the potatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Make sure they’re not any thinner than that, or they might not be sturdy enough to pick up with your hands and the edges will burn more easily while cooking.
  3. Place the rounds into the centre of one baking sheet in a mound. Toss with the oil until all sides of the rounds are fully coated. Spread into a single layer, spacing them a 1/2-inch apart. Sprinkle liberally with salt.
  4. Roast the potatoes for 25 to 35 minutes (I do 30), flipping once halfway through baking, until tender and golden brown in some spots. I prefer these slightly overcooked so they’ll crisp up a bit around the edges.
  5. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. In a large food processor, mince the garlic and basil until finely chopped. Add the tomatoes and pulseonly 10 to 14 timesuntil the tomatoes are chopped into almond- and pea-sized pieces. Remove the bowl, take out the blade and set aside, and stir in the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Set aside to marinate.
  6. Five minutes before the potatoes are ready, dice the avocado very small into almond-sized pieces. Fold the diced avocado into the tomato mixture. Taste and stir in more salt if desired. The mixture will look quite juicy/watery, but this is normal!
  7. After removing the potatoes from the oven, add another generous sprinkle of salt on top. Add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon avocado-tomato mixture onto a fork and strain out the juices by tapping the inside of the bowl. Place the strained mixture onto the centre of a potato round and repeat this process for the rest of the rounds.
  8. Serve immediately, directly from the baking sheet(s)I find serving from the baking sheet keeps them warmer, but if you prefer you can transfer the rounds to a platter before adding the topping. If the potatoes sit they will soften and lose their crispness, so I don’t recommend letting them sit around for longer than 10 minutes (usually not a problem in this house!). If you have any avocado-tomato mixture leftover feel free to polish it off with some tortilla chips!

Nutrition Information

Serving Size 6 out of 30 potato rounds | Calories 170 calories | Total Fat 7 grams
Saturated Fat 1 grams | Sodium 220 milligrams | Total Carbohydrates 27 grams
Fiber 4 grams | Sugar 2 grams | Protein 4 grams

Recipe serves 5 as an appetizer (6 potato rounds per person) when making 30 rounds total.
* Nutrition data is approximate and is for informational purposes only.

Tips:

Up the glow factor: Sprinkle my Vegan Parmesan Cheese on top.

Should your potatoes become soft from sitting for too long, these reheat well on a sauté pan, preheated over medium heat, for 1 to 2 minutes. This results in slightly browned bottoms and revives the firm texture without affecting the toppings.

Oh Eric, what a sport for being my food photography model, hah. There were some heavy sighs when his arms got tired…no one said being a model was easy! Okay, maybe they did say that…but just ask Eric about the struggles!

In case you’re wondering – these “photoshoot” potato bruschettas were SO COLD by the time we finally got to eat them. Sniff, sniff. But they were still worth eating! And we’ve enjoyed them many times piping hot out of the oven which is simply the best. If you try them out, I’d love to hear what you think and see your photos, so don’t forget to tag them with #ohsheglows on social media!

Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) January 26, 2019 at 2:44 pm
Recipe Rating:

What a perfect quote , Angela!
It is so hard to have the courage sometimes to step forward, whether with words or with actions, for fear of rejection or reaction. Especially these days, when everyone seems to be hyper-sensitive, it’s tricky sometimes to believe in myself enough to really put my true self out there. Thank you for going first!

PS…this recipe is one of my favourites you have ever created! When I found one lonely potato bruschetta round left behind on my full son’s plate, I nearly teared up at the sheer waste of such deliciousness!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 26, 2019 at 2:58 pm

So glad you liked it too! I have a lot of highlights in my Kindle books ;)

Eric was helping me eat this batch the other day and he was stuffed (because he had just had a fairly big lunch) and he had one potato bruschetta left on his plate. Then he said, “I can’t possibly throw this last one out!” and proceeded to eat it. What’s one more when you are already full I guess? lol.

Lori January 26, 2019 at 4:43 pm

I can definitely relate to what you’re saying, for sure!!
I always appreciate you sharing, it makes me feel better to know that their are others out there that struggle with this too :)
Can’t wait to try this recipe, they look delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Thanks Lori…I hear you, it’s always a relief to know we’re in this together.
Hope you make the recipe, it’s such a cozy one this time of year (while still feeling quite healthy and light)

Tiffany January 26, 2019 at 11:34 pm

I’m 35 and have felt inadequate since I can remember. I thought the feeling would get old but it really hasn’t. There have been periods when I felt great but they don’t last long. It’s tiring being me! I also have two little ones and don’t want to pass this onto them, so I started listening to self-help podcasts and audiobooks as well. So far I’ve been into anything from Eckhart Tolle and Jon Kabat Zinn. I also love Oprah’s SuperSoul Sundays, but even more I love Oprah’s Masterclass. You have to listen to Cindy Crawford’s episode, followed by Dwayne Johnson’s! It will really help you to step outside yourself :) Also I love reading your blog because you are inspiring and you are human.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2019 at 1:06 pm

Hey Tiffany, Thanks so much for sharing these podcasts! I’ve heard the Cindy & Dwayne ones were great and have yet to tune in. I’ll download them on my phone as I have some travel coming up this week! I’m so late to the podcast party (just started listening to them last year), but they’re such a great way to learn while going about daily routine things.

Lindsay January 27, 2019 at 10:28 am

Love Brene Brown and I’m also reading the same book very slowly :)

Thanks for sharing your struggles and dilemmas with us. I always find it reassuring that I’m not alone.

These potatoes bites look delicious. And they may even be something the kiddos devour :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2019 at 12:57 pm

You definitely aren’t alone Lindsay! I’m so glad you enjoy what I share. :)

Amy January 27, 2019 at 10:51 am

I love all your thoughts!! Thank you for sharing. The recipe looks amazing as well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Thank you Amy! Hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it out :)

Eric January 27, 2019 at 3:22 pm
Recipe Rating:

After devouring a full plate of these to myself I had to give it a rating – 5 Star! You won’t be disappointed.

Kathy January 28, 2019 at 11:36 am

I have a package of Basil I was trying to decide what to do with – YUM! Since we have sweet potatoes on hand, I’m try those. Perfect add for dinner tonight!

It’s pretty awesome to me how we can encourage this circle of bravery, just by ooening up. A former boss gave me a printef sheet many years ago that reads, “You were not created to play small in this world. Live large as yourself.” Thanks for the reminder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2019 at 3:45 pm

I love that quote ❤️ boss goals! ☺️ sweet potato would probably be so good, they just won’t firm up as much as potatoes so might be delicate

Kathy January 30, 2019 at 7:14 am

So, we made the sweet potato version last night snd I forgot to slice them thickly- they crisped up! We put a little less on each round and they were fantastic!! Pan was devoured in less than 10 minutes. 🎉🎉

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2019 at 8:02 am

Hah I definitely had that happen to some potato rounds before! That’s awesome they did crisp a bit though, probably better than too soggy ☺️ so glad you enjoyed it!

Michelle January 28, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Recipe Rating:

these are amazing! super quick and easy prep (granted substitution of 2T prepared pesto) and the potatoes crisped up beautifully (no idea if they were russet or not)! no more bread bruschetta for us on the couch watching the game…these rounds are perfect as a single bite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2019 at 10:38 pm

Aww thanks for such a nice review Michelle!! I love your pesto swap too…that would be amazing 😍

Cara January 28, 2019 at 2:56 pm

My (potato-obsessed) kids call this kind of potato “potato cookies”! The topping looks delicious–of course. Also, I just got myself “I Thought It Was Just Me” for Christmas … looks like you need to lead a book discussion!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2019 at 3:28 pm

Potato cookies is the best name by far! 😂 love it. I just got the book on my Kindle and can’t wait to dive in. A book club would be fun!

Connie January 28, 2019 at 9:37 pm
Recipe Rating:

Reminded me of an Italian quesadilla I used to make many years ago – it was topped with an Italian version of a pico de gallo. Anyway, this was delicious – I did halve the balsamic vinegar, as my daughter doesn’t care for it (yet). She gobbled the whole thing up! I also love that I didn’t have to hand chop anything – so easy in the food processor.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2019 at 3:25 pm

I’m so glad it was a hit with you and your daughter! Thanks for sharing :)

Lynn January 30, 2019 at 11:52 pm

Oh Angela these look so yummy. I am going to make some on the weekend. So many recipes so little time to make them all!!! I listened to Brene Brown yesterday on trust then vulnerability. She is an excellent speaker and story teller. Thanks for sharing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2019 at 4:22 pm

She is, isn’t she? 😍 and thank you for your kind words about the recipes!! It makes me so happy to hear how many you’d like to make 👍

Fiona Manoon January 31, 2019 at 12:31 am

It looks very yummy.
Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe with us.

darah allan January 31, 2019 at 1:00 am
Recipe Rating:

Looks very interesting. I love sweet potatoes and bruschetta and grow my own basil. Definitely will try this one.

Puro Food February 4, 2019 at 10:10 am
Recipe Rating:

This is literally one of the most delicious things I have made! thank you for the sharing a great recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2019 at 1:53 pm

Aww thank you!

Nicole Madsen February 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm

I made these on Sunday for my baby shower/ Super Bowl party and they were a hit! Thank you for so many great recipes over the past few years! Any baby food cook books coming soon?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 7, 2019 at 2:01 pm

That’s great Nicole! I hope you had a fantastic shower 😄 no baby books on the way but you never know maybe one day!

Calleigh | Fork Bite February 8, 2019 at 1:15 pm

I’m glad to realize that I’m not alone. I’ve the same mindset struggles like yours which are not fun to live by. Hence, started to read Brene Brown’s book “Daring Greatly” .

And thanks for sharing these “potato bruschettas”, they look so appetizing and tempting, for sure even my picky eater kiddo would love to devour these bites.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 8, 2019 at 2:47 pm

I hope you enjoy her work…I’ve found it to be inspiring so far. :)

Vanessa February 26, 2019 at 11:07 am

These look amazing! Have you tried these with Japanese sweet potatoes? I think they would be so so good in this recipe!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2019 at 11:59 am

Hey Vanessa, I have used regular sweet potatoes in a different, yet similar, recipe before and they tasted great! The only problem is the sweet potatoes didn’t get crispy like regular potatoes.

Epigen March 6, 2019 at 3:18 am
Recipe Rating:

Tried these over the weekend as as change to my usual tv snacks.

Made one small change to them which was a dusting of cayenne pepper, gave a nice little kick and they went down a treat.
Thanks.

Danielle March 7, 2019 at 1:59 pm

Hi Angela,

We tried these, and in standard form, our family devoured them in three seconds flat! Thank you for another delicious recipe!

I also wanted to reply to your recent shares about the challenges you have experienced. While you have been a huge blessing to our family in transitioning from an animal based diet to a more vegan diet. I really don’t know what i would have done without your support. But, while you have contributed so much to our family, i wanted to share that you are so much more than that. You are more than a working mom (which are really two full time jobs!). You are more than a wife, more than a daring entrepreneur, more than a strong woman, more than an amazing recipe creator. You are more than all those huge roles. You have incredible value and worth that is not tied to what you do! May these songs encourage you as your Creator looks down on you with a smile, regardless of what you get done, what you create, or what you just can’t get to at the end of a long day. May He encourage you today!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Hi Danielle, You are so lovely and thoughtful for your kindness. Thank you so much…it means the world to me to have your support!

Ed W March 18, 2019 at 12:23 pm

Oh my gosh that looks delicious. Lovely presentation too.

Melissa March 18, 2019 at 7:06 pm

Angela, I’m re-reading, “Co-dependent No More” by Melody Beattie. I must have read it 25 or 30 years ago and I am learning so much more this time around. The Brene Brown material is going to be something I’ll come back to in a bit. I must not be ready for it yet. This is off-topic but I wanted to share this because I think it could help others. The other night, I was disappointed and sad about something completely out of my control. I felt anxious because I was afraid that I’d stay sad and become depressed. Then I stopped myself and just felt sad and disappointed. I asked myself what I could control about the situation (only myself and my response). I felt sad and disappointed…and then I felt better. It was so much easier to feel the feelings than to push them down and do something self-destructive. I really feel like the only way the sadness will take over and become depression is if I try to push it away. I don’t mean to over-simplify. I’ve done a lot of head and heart work, therapy, etc. I think back at the years I tried to push feelings away by eating, not eating, drinking, trying to be perfect, etc. I don’t like to look back and have regrets or wonder where I’d be if I’d been able to let myself feel the feelings as they came up, so I won’t. But I do hope someone gets something from this post. It took me almost 50 years to get here. I’m so grateful that I have come so far. Thanks for inspiring me to write. I have not tried this recipe yet. Ha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2019 at 8:03 am

Hi Melissa, This is so beautiful and I’m grateful you shared…thank you! I can relate to a lot of what you’ve written. And yes, isn’t it amazing when we let ourselves feel permission to feel the emotion(s)? I recognized years ago that my eating disorder was an attempt to push many negative feelings and experiences away…to face them is much harder, but necessary. Big hugs!

Stacey Bolotin April 13, 2019 at 11:06 am

Thank you for this recipe. I made it this morning and it’s delicious!