How To Roast Garlic

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 21, 2011

IMG_2180-2

Once upon a time there was a girl who desperately wanted to roast garlic.

She kept hearing wonderful things about roasted garlic…

“It’s like a buttery spread”

“It’s sweet and mellow and not overpowering”

“I eat it when I feel a cold coming on.”

“I eat it roasted straight from the head! I’M CRAZY!!”

This made the girl crave roasted garlic badly until one day she HAD TO HAVE BUTTERY ROASTED GARLIC right this very second.

IMG_2160

This girl did what she always does when she doesn’t know the answer to something…

which is…all the time.

Untitledccl

Oops.

Here we go.

Untitlednewwww

This search led her to a video on how to roast garlic. Here’s what she learned…

How To Roast Garlic

Note: It’s recommended you stay 2 feet from your computer screen.

IMG_2192

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel off the loose skin.

IMG_2163

Step 2: Cut off the head so the garlic is exposed at the top.

IMG_2167

If your knife misses a couple cloves, just use a paring knife to cut the tips off.

IMG_2168

Step 3: Place a piece of tin foil underneath the garlic and drizzle about 1 tsp of olive oil on top, making sure to cover each exposed clove.

IMG_2170

IMG_2171

Step 4: Wrap each garlic clove in tin foil and place in a small oven-safe dish or muffin tin.

IMG_2174

Step 5: Roast in the oven for 35-55 minutes at 400F until the cloves are golden in colour.

IMG_2180

Step 6: Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before gently squeezing the garlic out of each skin. You can also use a paring knife to cut away the skin.

IMG_2186

The pungent flavour of raw garlic is now gone, leaving behind a buttery and mild garlic spread. You can spread it on bread, mix into roasted tomato basil pesto, mash into high protein potatoes, use in pasta sauce, or eat it straight up!

IMG_2188

You could also create the best soup you’ve ever made…(recipe coming up!)

IMG_2190

You know what they say, when one person eats garlic…everyone eats garlic.

Now get your roast on.

This girl is going to chew on a mint plant now.

Page 4 of 4«1234
Tessa September 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Cut the TOPS off! Not the bottoms…I hope it works with them all being single and not stuck together any more. I guess we will see when them come out of the oven.

eselpee August 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I roast garlic as you suggest, but without the oil.

The oil is never missed; neither are the extra calories nor omega 6s….

Stephanie October 29, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Made these tonight. SO GOOD! Thank you :) I posted it on my blog and linked back to yours. Thanks again for the delicious recipe! xoxo

Megan November 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I tried this exactly as written…….and WOW it was great! Thank you! For some reason I could never get it right before. My husband believes its the stove- haha

Melinda K June 16, 2014 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much for posting this with the awesome pictures – my husband fell in love with roasted garlic (we had it at a steak house where every steak was served with 1 roasted head for smearing on steak) and I attempted it before and scorched it badly. This set of instructions was foolproof. (I’ll add that I don’t think this works well in the toaster oven, must bake only!)

Elaine August 15, 2014 at 11:49 am

Does anyone know how long will roasted garlic last in the refrigerator?

Jenna Parsons September 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I am so doing this tonight! We are making a Roasted Garlic Sauce for our stuffed shells, so i HAD to know how to roast garlic.

Clare September 25, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Going to make some for my Pizza, Love Garlic on my Pizzas.

Christa Ritchie October 4, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thank-you so much ! So easy and delicious !

J.D. Stanley October 13, 2014 at 5:46 pm

I had made roasted garlic in the distant past, but had since forgotten this simple recipe. I wanted to make homemade garlic bread with dinner this evening and stumbled across this site looking for a recipe. Not only is this recipe deliciously correct, but also (and more importantly) entertaining, witty, and charming. Proof? I have been searching for and using recipes online for years, but have never left a comment . . . until now. Thank you for your contribution!

Kristen October 21, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Hi there!

I absolutely love roasted garlic…well, garlic in general, but I would like to make roasted garlic for a few different recipes. Would this hold well for a couple of days in the fridge if I make the different recipes say, over 3 days? Or would it all need to be used up in one day? Thanks so much (in advance). :-D

Amy Thompson March 11, 2015 at 8:36 am

Love roasted garlic. Just wondering if it stays fresh in the refrigerator ?