Undercover Blogger

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 28, 2010

Good morning!

Yesterday, I played the role of an Undercover Blogger as I spent all of my ‘blog time’ working behind the scenes answering emails and I did not have a chance to post. I am sure you all appreciate a break from my ramblings now and then! I know I do. I am about 90% caught up on my emails now, so I will ride this high as long as I can! I also updated the Green Monster Movement with wonderful reader recipes.

Some food highlights of yesterday…

IMG_6234

My healthy spelt pancakes for one that I doubled for Eric and I.

IMG_6239

Mmmmmmmm!

After digesting, Eric and I headed out for a very humid Brick workout! I skipped my Brick on Friday so I decided to make up for it Sunday morning.

The bike leg:

• Distance: 5.55 miles
  • Time: 31:44 mins
  • Avg Pace: 5:43 min/mile

It was a great bike ride. We did mile 2 on the trail and I took the lead and did my fastest trail ride yet! I was going fast over the rocks. It was exhilarating!

Eric didn’t come for the run portion because his knee started bothering him a bit. My transition was a quick one…just over 1 minute and I was up and running!

The run leg:

• Distance: 2 miles (mile 1 = 8:27; Mile 2 = 8:14)
  • Time: 16:41 mins
  • Avg Pace: 8:20 min/mile
  • Max pace: 6:18 min/mile (sprinting last 300 metres)

This run was super challenging! My legs were tired and I pushed myself to maintain under an 8:30 min/mile pace. I kept saying, ‘Feed The Warrior!’ and before I knew it, I was turning back after 1 mile and just had to make it home. I love out and back runs so much because the run ‘back’ always feels easier!

When I got home I needed to Feed The Warrior…this time with food!

Lunch was a huge, delicious mixed baby green salad with chickpeas, green onion, tomato, etc.

IMG_0744

With a generous amount of my Better than Balsamic salad dressing!

IMG_0745

It’s official: Green onions are my new favourite thing to top a salad with. It gives the salad so much flavour!

By the way…check out DAY 3…

IMG_0769

Craaaaaazy!

Another obsession as of late…the open-faced sandwich!

IMG_0752

Berries for dessert…

IMG_0717

Sadly they do not last long in this house!

Afternoon snacks..

Chickpeas + Cheeze sauce from the other night + EVOO + vinegar + pepper:

IMG_0760

And a Liberate Glo Bar!

IMG_0764

We went over to my Aunt and Uncles for dinner and had such a nice visit! I didn’t take pictures of dinner as I was OFF DUTY! I forgot how nice it was to sit down to a meal and not whip out the camera!

After spending more time on the laptop, Eric found me like this around 11:30pm…

IMG_1698

Good times.

Breakfast was an ‘open-faced’ bowl of Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG_0780

I made Cherry Bomb Banana Soft Serve using 1 frozen banana and 6 pitted cherries.

IMG_0772

The layers:

IMG_0777

Love, love, love.

IMG_0775

Today’s question: Do you take pictures of what you eat? If so, how much to you photograph- everything or just once and a while? Do you take pictures at restaurants or when visiting family or friends? Are there ever days when you are ‘off duty’?

Updates:

Have a great day. I will see you tonight!

Page 2 of 2«12
Maria June 28, 2010 at 11:49 am

I take pictures of most of my food – I’m a very new food blogger, so getting very excited about all the food and pics I can take is easy! Still learning, though!

Maria
kaleandcupcakes.wordpress.com

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 28, 2010 at 11:57 am

I love green onions on salads too. They actually taste amazing with fruity toppings like oranges!

I’m kind of all over the place with my photographing! I usually do breakfast, lunch and dinner but not my snacks. And I won’t take pictures if I’m at a restaurant with friends or having dinner with my extended family. There are too many questions if I do that. :P

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Those pancakes just look freaking amazinggg.

Laura (youngDCliving) June 28, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Just spotted an adapted version of your PB Parsnip fries on the blog, www.neverhomemaker.com

Thought you would be interested! I definitely need to try this fad :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I saw these, mmmmm!

Jenny June 28, 2010 at 12:18 pm

“sigh”
There’s just something so decadent about cherry soft serve making an appearance at breakfast….just lovely.

Ordered my first Glo bars today! Hello Spring variety pack!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thank you!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 28, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Look at that lil onion gooo!!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) June 28, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I def. don’t photograph everything I eat because I think people would become bored! Yes, I ate oatmeal for breakfast yesterday, today, tomorrow… :)

I love open-face sandwiches! It’s much more manageable to stuff in your mouth

Sara June 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

I do take pictures of my food, especially if I’m proud of what I made or if I don’t already have a photo of one of my regular recipes that I think of as “my own” :) I also do it at restaurants if the food looks particularly good… or if I don’t just dive into it head first without taking a chance to look it over which I have been known to do sometimes! lol

Lauren (Clean Eats in the Dirty South) June 28, 2010 at 1:02 pm

ALL of those pictures made me hangry!

Paige (Running Around Normal) June 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

Feed the warrior! haha I love that! Great brick workout. All the food looks delish! Esp the chickpeas and cheese sauce.
I definitely go off duty every now and then. When I feel like life’s going faster than I am, it’s usually time to go off duty for a minute ;)

Jen June 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I don’t take pictures of everything that I eat, but I take pictures of a lot. I started out documenting everything on my blog, but i have started to do more recipes and every other day all day posting…its fun!

Any chance you are going to offer a variety pack of Glow Bars for the summer? Everytime I read your blog about bars being up in the shop, I click and they are gone. :(

Thanks!
Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm
Mary June 28, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I take pictures of a lot of my meals. I do like to have days though that are off duty… you need them once in a while you know?

[email protected]'s Going The Distance June 28, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Oh man those pancakes DO look amazing.

Lately I’ve been eating on the road a lot and I feel sooooo self-conscious about snapping photos in a restaurant. Especially if it’s dark and quaint haha. I guess I need to get over that.

Also, I don’t really like photographing big family meals. Or if I do, I don’t necessarily like to share them on my blog. Interesting to think about!

Eimear Rose June 28, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I’ve no probs photographing food I’ve made myself, but I do feel a bit self-conscious in restaurant. Brick workouts are tiring! No wonder you conked out. I tried the cherry soft serve on my hot porridge one morning, delish! I love the pale pink colour:)

Franziska (justalittlechocolate.com) June 28, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I try to always take pictures of new recipes for my blog and sometimes of my meals and snacks but not religiously by any means. My goal is to blog about some aspect of nutrition on a daily basis that people can relate to, learn from and will motivate people to make healthy eating a part of thier life.

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I’m loving the open faced sandwiches right now too – just made one last night!
I’ll photograph my main meals for my blog, but I definitely don’t photograph everything. That would be too much – snacks aren’t always that fun to photograph anyways! :)

Miriam June 28, 2010 at 2:31 pm

I bough Garlic scape this week end at the farmer market!! I had never seen such thing before (before seeing the picture on your blog!) so I couldn’t miss but try them!! I’ve made awesome veggie burger (at last, bough a food processor this week end…so no more commercially processed veggie burgers for me!) with them. It taste like garlic but not as strong and I like that this is green…!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Glad you like the scapes!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans June 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I want to take photos but I need a better camera (I am in the market for one now) I would probably only take pictures of new recipes though. I guess we’ll find out!!
Oh and I tried my own version of your vegan soft serve..I made peach. So yummy!! Thanks for the idea because I was really missing ice cream :)

Mary June 28, 2010 at 2:52 pm

I love the pancake for one idea! I am constantly scaling recipes down so I don’t get stuck eating the same thing for days on end. One thing I’ve done with pancakes and waffles is make up a full size batch and freeze them. Then I just pop ’em in the toaster when I get a craving!

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 28, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Pancakes, Soft Serve VOO and a wonderfully colorful salad….ahhhhh, all so refreshing, so much so, since I am home a bit under the weather today, I will have that cool refreshing salad as well. Unfortunately, I don’t have any green onions so I will have to substitute with some thinly sliced purple onions. I’m sure it will put a smile on my face which I need today. I did have VOO this AM but not with soft serve, just with a bit of organic unsweetened coconut, organic cacao chips and 5 cherries. It was just as yum and filling too!

As for photographing food and blogging, I definitely would love to start blogging. I’m seriously thinking about, just not sure how to get started. I’ve begun blogging on SparkPeople.com by using my webpage on there. I decided a good way to start and see how I do is by blogging about my marathon training and incorporating the foods I eat prior to my Saturday group runs and after those group runs as well. As you saw, I blogged for the first time this past Saturday….so in your opinion, how’d I do? :-) Be as critical as you may. I’d like to take more pics of the foods I eat as well, the only problem is, I don’t know how to get my pics to display bigger. Those pics you saw on my SP blog were from my iPhone so I’m thinking that is why they are so small. Guess I have to experiment by resizing the pics when I upload them on my computer.

Anywho, thanks for a great food blog today and glad you got some well needed rest!

kaila June 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm

i try to take pics as often as possible..but sometimes my food looks so darn good i start eating before i can snap a pic LOL! sometimes i take pictures in restaurants, depending on how discreet i can be. Oh and i tried your cherry banana softserve on regualr overnight oats. It was delicious, it added a whole new dimension to my favorite breakfast! as for days off from picture taking…TODAY is definitly one of those days..i have been very lazy with the camera :)

Liz June 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Those pancakes look amazing!!! I love the photos!

Tracey June 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm

If I make something that I consider “blog worthy” then I take a picture of it. Or if it is a unique creation that I want to share with everyone :) Also, I want to add that I made your healthy spelt pancakes yesterday for my boyfriend and I and he loved them. Only difference is I added some fresh blueberries to the batter…mmmm….delish :) Thanks for the recipe!

Leah June 28, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I only take pictures of what Im eating if Im impressed with it. Sometimes the stuff I make for myself is well . . . a little sad! lol

I LOVE green onions on salad. Those have been a staple for me since I was little. Its how my mom always made salads.

Allison @ Food For Healing June 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm

thats awesome that your gettin caught up! a little time off is necessary sometimes.

I take pictures of a lot of my meals, sometimes i won’t while we’re out; either i forget my camera, or depends who we are with. Some people look at me funny! most food bloggers get that a lot i’m sure though

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 28, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Great post Angela! I tried your spelt pancakes the other week and they were awesome! You rrecipe is now my “go to” recipe for pancakes!!
Re blogging – through the Mystery Box challenge that I am completing, I blog almost all of my dinners (and sometimes breakfast or lunch). It combines two of my favourite things – cooking + photography!!! Although it is proving quite a challenge in Winter here as we have no natural light by the time dinner comes!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 28, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I only photograph interesting or good looking meals. I usually always blog my breakfast and dinner. I love taking pics at parties, friends dinner parties, or at restaurants. I’m still waiting for a waitress to ask what I’m doing.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 28, 2010 at 10:25 pm

I blog just my meals if they are at home. I don’t like blogging when I go out to eat just cause of the awkwardness of it all. Usually I’m with employers or friends so I’d rather just keep it to the eating and the convo.

Amber K June 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I LOVE adding green onions to things that need more flavor!

I like to blog pictures of new meals and and recipes.

Susan June 30, 2010 at 10:03 am

I am green thumb challenged to the max. I have never been able to sprout ANYTHING!! But if you say the green onion is possible, I will try it ;)

I take pictures of most things, mostly because I’m a huge dork and just really love taking nice pictures of food. With that said, I don’t typically take photos at big gatherings, especially where I don’t know a lot of people. It takes too much effort and energy to explain what I’m doing and why. I do take photos at restaurants if I feel like lugging my SLR out. And sometimes I eat really boring food. Like, I just ate an apple. Do people really care? I don’t think so.