Vegan Pizza With Cheeze

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 4, 2010

Mmmmmmmmm.

IMG_0374

Did you do a double take?

IMG_0379

Tuesday, I did a review of Ezekiel tortilla wraps. I received a comment from Meagan saying that I had to try these wraps as a pizza and she linked me to her amazing post. After wiping the puddle of drool from my desk, I knew I had to make this- stat!

Vegan Pizza with Cheeze

Adapted from Meagan’s post.

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel tortilla wrap
  • 2-3 T tomato paste
  • handful baby spinach
  • 7-8 slices zucchini
  • plum tomato, sliced
  • basil and parsley
  • Sunflower seeds, hulled (a little fat helps with absorption of nutrients in veggies)

Mea’s Humnut Sauce:

• 3 T hummus
  • 2 T nutritional yeast
  • water to thin out
  • 1/2 t Turmeric (to make it yellow- it will change the taste a bit keep in mind)

Directions: Spread tortilla with tomato paste (or pizza sauce if preferred). Add toppings followed by cheeze and seasonings. Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes on low- watch carefully! Serve immediately.

IMG_0348

This was incredible.

IMG_0410

I love finding out about new food concoctions! :mrgreen:

Our weather lately has been beautiful…we have been blessed with the sun for the past week or two. It feels more and more like Spring everyday (minus the snow of course, but it is beautiful to look at!).

IMG_0412

I was asked if I am still drinking Green Monsters and the answer is yes, yes, and yes! I have about 4 a week now, and about 2-3 juices a week. I like mixing it up.

IMG_0330

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I skipped my scheduled 3 mile tempo run yesterday in favour of some stretching. I was quite sore from my Booty Camp Fitness workout, so I decided to take it off to let my muscles repair. I have updated my Spring Training Plan to reflect this. I simply added on the 3 mile run to today’s workout.

I did 13 Poses for Runners last night and it was just what I needed!

Now I want everyone to try a quick activity with me, don’t even think about it and answer the following question as quickly as possible…

Are you holding your breath right now?

I do it all the time, I am horrible at BREATHING!

Yup, I am a chronic shallow breather! I also often find myself holding my breath when I am busy or stressed. Lately I have been trying to be mindful of breathing deeply. It feels so good to breathe deeply and unfortunately it also feels a bit foreign to me because I rarely do it! I hope to be more conscious about my breathing and try to make it a ‘habit’.

What kind of breather are you- shallow or deep? Do you consider yourself a conscious breather?

Angela_Signature

"Being relaxed, at peace with yourself, confident, emotionally neutral, loose, and free-floating – these are the keys to successful performance in almost everything." ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 2«12
Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I love making pizzas with sprouted tortillas – I’m going to have to try that cheese! I use French Meadow Bakerys sprouted tortillas – I think they are much better then Ezekiel ones!

katherine February 4, 2010 at 2:27 pm

The pizza looks fabulous!!

I’m terrible about breathing deeply. And yet I wonder why I’m exhausted and stressed by the end of the day :-P

Angela (oh she glows) February 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

everyone….deep breath on ONE, TWO, THREE….and go!

awwwww

Heather (Where's the Beach) February 4, 2010 at 2:30 pm

Oh the pizza looks great! Love the idea of the hummus as a cheeze.

Kristy February 4, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Thanks to yoga I have discovered the power of breathing! Great point,sometimes I “forget” to breath. LOL

KathyR February 4, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Shallow. And unconscious. And usually caught by surprise when the instructor/leader person says something about “inhale” or “blow it out” or whatever because I am almost never able to catch on to the breathing rhythm they’re talking about.

Hummus “cheese?” Interesting…

Janna (Just Flourishing) February 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Thank you for passing on the pizza goodness!

I have actually been on a bit of a pizza spree lately. Trying to figure out the best crust, and cheese.

I tried using Daiya vegan cheese last time. Have you ever tried it?
It wasn’t bad but your Cheeze sounds even better!

For my next pizza I will definitely be using those wraps and Cheeze!

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Ohh! I really want to try Daiya. I’ve never tried a vegan cheese before–I’m afraid of wasting money on something I don’t like–but I’ve heard great things about Daiya. Plus, I don’t think it has any soy in it.

Tania February 4, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Hi Angela, o.k that pizza looks ridiculously good!! i’ve starting using spelt pizza crust from Shasha company here in T.o – They are pretty darn good and stay nice and crunchy even under a load of toppings.

Fallon February 4, 2010 at 3:21 pm

That pizza looks fabulous. I’ve never tried the “vegan” cheese but I do have those ingredients on hand, I will have to try this on my day off.

I just recently posted about a Pita Pizza I make, it all vegan except for the cheese part but that can easily be changed. ;)

Amy Reinink February 4, 2010 at 3:28 pm

The pizza looks delicious! Definitely on my list of stuff to try! I’ve been working on my breathing myself, and I’ve found that getting back into swimming makes me a much more conscious breather on dry land. My lung-capacity exercise: At the end of a workout, I do four 25’s without taking a breath, resting for as long as I need to between each one. It kills me every time!

Mary February 4, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Thanks so much for the quote…it hit home for me today. I’ve been struggle with believing in myself and decisions I make!
And yes…I was holding my breath.

Nicole, RD February 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I love nutritional yeast…packed with B vitamins and delicious! Tastes like Parmesan to me! The pizza looks wonderful!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Thanks for the link to those stretches. I’m trying them tonight after my workout. I get so tight and sore if I don’t stretch. As for breathing, my left nostril is ALWAYS stuffed up so I’m forced to be a shallow breather.

Mae @ OhhMay February 4, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Aww thank you so much Angela!! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Yours looks divine… I need to try some sunflower seeds on top! It sounds delicious.

It’s so funny you mention breathing because I just practiced breath-holding in the pool today. I can do a full 50 m. without air!! But I do find myself holding my breath a lot, especially in the car or while I’m taking an exam.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan February 4, 2010 at 4:22 pm

OMG, that pizza! That looks so delicious. That snowy picture is what it looks like here right now, too. :( It’s pretty, but I am ready for spring.

Lisa February 4, 2010 at 4:30 pm

MMM the pizza looks so good. I am definately going to be trying that real soon.

I am a shallow breather and have to remind mydelf to take deep breaths. I do find myself holding my breath especially when stressed.

Lauren February 4, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Thank you for the breathing mention! It’s so important and sooo many people are not breathing properly- filling up their abdomen/lower lungs with air. I definitely catch myself ALL THE TIME! Such an important thing for us to remember! I actually joined a meditation club at my University to work on this! :)

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine February 4, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Oh wow does this pizza ever look good! I have a few Ezekiel tortillas left, I’m definitely going to give this a try soon!

Beth February 4, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Kripalu yoga has taught me SO much about deep breathing. I’ve learned some amazing techniques in there to deepen my breathing and slow my heart rate. I leave the class so relaxed and focused – it’s amazing and I highly recommend it!!

Nutritious Foodie February 4, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Your pizza looks great. I bought some Nutritional yeast but it doesn’t taste cheesy… could it be bad maybe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I find the cheesy flavour is most pronounced when it is mixed in other foods. I do not like the taste of it on its own.

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I agree with Angela..it’s not that great on its own, although I do like it sprinkled on popcorn with some sea salt. I think it is kind of an acquired taste, too. You can’t expect it to taste *just* like cheese–because it’s not. It’s a unique flavor all on it’s own. I would give it a try in a few recipes to really determine if you like it.

Audrey February 4, 2010 at 5:26 pm

That pizza looks SO good. After seeing Mae’s comment, I went and checked out her post and it made me want to go make one of these super-easy pizzas right then and there. Considering that it was late at night, I restrained myself, but I am now itching to get in the kitchen and try some of her ideas! There are endless possibilities and toppings…so fun!

I have a really hard time breathing. When I do yoga it really makes me mindful of what a bad breather I am…coincidentally, I never knew that I could get tired of breathing until I did yoga! I find myself holding my breath in a lot of the poses. I think it is something we naturally do when we are tense, which is too bad because that’s when we need the oxygen the most!

Natasha February 4, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I can’t even tell you if I was holding my breath… is that bad? As for the shallow or deep stuff… not really sure. All I know is that I do a big breathe in, breathe out to relax myself just before I fall asleep… and even after almost six years it still gets a comment out of my fiance.

Courtney February 4, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Hey Angela- I really love your blog and am realizing this might be my first comment! I’m wondering what kind of nutritional yeast you use. I bought Whole Foods brand and it’s kind of meh- thoughts on this?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 4, 2010 at 5:52 pm

That pizza looks awesome!
Yep definitely a shallow breather ….

Jenn @ Livewellfit February 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Must go make that pizza NOW!!! I’m rethinking what dinner will be this evening :) Thanks for sharing!

Anna @ unsweetenedcocoa February 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

I am SUCH a shallow breather. It’s brutal! It makes me so tense in the neck and shoulders, especially after a day of work. Thanks for the reminder to breathe deeply….

I’m very interested to try that humnut sauce!

Katie February 4, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I love the hummus nooch combo. I eat it on stir-fried veggies ALL THE TIME. In fact, that is what I am planning on eating for dinner tonight!

Stacy February 4, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Oooh that pizza looks wonderful! I have some sprouted crusts in my deydrator (I love the Ezekiel Torts but they’re not raw and have wheat so I have to avoid them)….

Ah the breathing – I have been trying to train myself to breath deeply and catch myself when I’m not – due to constant anxiety I’m the ole short breath thing too.

Breathing is so important as our lungs are one of our main detoxification methods. I sit and do 10-15 minutes of deep breathing before bed in silence – gets me ready for sleep :)

Angela I love your blog. Great work honey!

Jolene February 4, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Yep – I was totally holding my breath. I am stressed today too … weird. I wonder if I do that a lot!!?

jodie February 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Pizza looks great. Have you tried the Yves Veggie cuisine products?

pam landy February 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm

that pizza looks absolutely amazing.

La February 4, 2010 at 11:25 pm

I used to be a much better breather than I am now – I used to classically train as a singer, so breathing deeply was natural for me. I’m trying to bring it back but evem as I type this I realize I’m holding my breath! Whoooooshhhhhh gotta let it out!

[email protected] February 5, 2010 at 1:05 am

I am a deep breather, but my breaths seem to get deeper the more yoga and pilates I do. I think this has a lot to do with why I don’t get stressed very often as well as the fact that I have practiced time management for so long I should be a pro by now!! haha

and that pizza…..I will be trying very very soon!

Rawkin Robin February 5, 2010 at 1:36 am

I am also a very SHALLOW breather…I constantly find myself holding my breath or taking very small breaths. I get mad at myself immediately of course haha and then take a few deep breaths. Deep breathing really does feel good and has both calming and energizing effects :) Good Post

Jasmine February 5, 2010 at 9:12 am

The part about holding your breath.. That’s so true! I was holding my breath. Am definitely a shallow breather who sighs too much as well.

Jenny February 5, 2010 at 10:58 am

I literally just gasped in awe. That parfait looks to die for!
My favorite fiction book is the Harry Potter sequels. I loved reading all of them :)

Ashley B February 5, 2010 at 11:29 am

As soon as I saw that pizza – I thought through all the ingredients, wrap – check, ingredients for hummus and nutritional yeast – check, delicious vegetables that are yummy when roasted – check… to be honest I thought the tomato paste would be strange as a sauce and I’ve noticed you use it in sandwiches etc. I tried it, and of course, it was DELICIOUS! So in short, THANK YOU for posting this recipe/idea. I sprinkled mine with black sesame seeds too and it was delicious!