How To Prepare A Dragon Fruit in 30 Seconds

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 21, 2009

Hey guys! As you can see I changed my blog design today! It surprisingly wasn’t too hard for me to do it. I still have lots left to do, but you get the general idea! :) I am quite happy with it so far. I was going for a ‘glowing’ theme and didn’t think the only blah blue fit the bill!

~~~~~~

IMG_2527

I’m pretty sure if I died today, I would die with a big grin on my face.

For I have discovered true bliss in a fruit.

In spirit of trying out new fruit (see fig here and lychee here), I picked up this Dragon Fruit yesterday at the grocery store. At over $3 a pop, I said, it better damn well taste good.

I couldn’t wait to have this fruit for breakfast this morning. My green monster supply has now been drained, so I am left with exotic fruit experimentation (EFE) to keep my mind off of them until my shiny new appliances return.

Behold, the Dragon Fruit

IMG_2488

Preparation of a Dragon Fruit was surprisingly two things: 1) Super quick, and 2) Super fun.

Step 1:

Assess Ripeness

Poke the dragon fruit to assess ripeness. It should feel slightly spongy, almost like a kiwi. If it is very firm, leave it for a day or two and check again. The skin should be a bright pink colour (how fun is that!). I also read that it is best eaten chilled to bring out the flavour.

One way to check if it is fresh, while picking them out in the grocery store, is to feel the stem. It should bend without breaking when you touch it. If it is brittle, move on. This particular little guy was doing the Dragon Fruit Dance (DFD; see below).

IMG_2490

Step 2:

Slice in half

Use a big knife and let out an evil cackle or two.

IMG_2492

Step 3:

Let out a squeal in delight.

Do the Dragon Fruit Dance (DFD)- video coming soon (jk!!!).

IMG_2500

Step 4:

Extract from skin

Spoon out the fruit with a large spoon. The fruit surprisingly came out VERY easy. I was so shocked!

IMG_2506

It was like the fruit was just bounding out of its’ skin.

IMG_2509

The only thing I can conclude from this is dragon brain:

IMG_2516

I know, right!?

IMG_2530

Step 7:

Gobble, gobble.

IMG_2526

My taste review:

• It had a very light sweetness to it
  • It was very hydrating
  • Delightful appearance and texture
  • I LOVED it! Loved, loved, loved it.

The nutritional information is presented below. Because it has a light sweetness to it, this fruit is very low in calories. For the entire fruit, we’re looking at no more than 60 cals or so.

ffffffff

I saved half of the fruit and I am going to enjoy it in my next green monster (I hope, if it arrives soon!). I hear this fruit blends very well and is great in juices.

It is so much fun breaking out of the traditional fruit rut! Apples ain’t got nothing on this guy. Now, I just have to keep my eyes peeled for sales so I don’t break the bank! lol.

Enjoy your Friday my friends!

Angela_Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.

—Ambrose Redmoon

Page 3 of 3«123
Faith August 22, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I love your new blog look…it definitely glows! That fruit is so pretty and I love how it looks like it’s got a built-in bowl!

RunToFinish August 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm

wow I have never ever tried one, this was a great post!! love it

Liz @ In The Skinny August 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

Wow! I think I want to try dragonfruit. I like the name and they way you cut it looks like dice. Neat!

Katie August 22, 2009 at 11:13 pm

That is the coolest looking fruit ever! I’ve only had it IN things, so I never saw what it looked like before. Gotta find that!

Also good job on your new layout, it looks great!

Foodie August 23, 2009 at 12:55 am

Caution: read only if looking for honest feedback.

I’ll have to agree with (a few) previous posters that the new blog design lacks the real ‘glow’ feel. It kind of looks more like a travel site. I liked how the picture of you made it so personal. And the orange-ness is hard on the eyes. The blue was more soothing and holistic. Also, while I still prefer the old look, I do agree that it was in need of updating. Have you ever considered getting a professional theme done? Some blogs just say ‘wow’…and really feel unique. Please don’t get me wrong, though. Whatever you choose to do is fine. This is just my opinion, and it seems like a lot of people really like the new look. Regardless, NOTHING will keep me away from the amazing content and contagious enthusiasm that vibrates off your blog. You are truly an inspiration!!! Ok, that’s just my two cents.

(I hope this doesn’t sound mean!) :0

Anna August 23, 2009 at 8:21 am

Hi Angela,

I, too, have to agree with the previous comment(s). The new design looks nice, but like Foodie said, it looks more like a travel site (it certainly makes me want to book a ticket to Hawaii!!! ;)). I fing the new colors a bit too bright and distracting; and where the old theme was calm and relaxing and made me want to spend time on your site, the new design sort of makes me want to read everything quickly and move on. This would probably not be a big issue on a blog that has few words, but since your posts are quite long and interesting, people spend more time on your site. I think it might look nice if you got a picture very similar to the one you have now, but with more bluish/pink colors (as you often see during a beautiful sunset/sunrise), and you could then keep the light blue/white/pink background that is easier on the eyes and keeps the readers’ attention on your posts instead? The tropical palm trees are nice and summery, but I think a picture of your beautiful Canadian nature might work nicely, too. ;-)

Other than the colors, however, I love the update – specially the new calendar feature on the right (something I always missed!); and regardless of the theme/colors, I will certainly keep reading your blog! After all, everything is just a matter of taste, and it might be that the majority prefers the new theme. ;-)

RunToFinish August 24, 2009 at 6:24 pm

i got all excited about this and went to buy one…it cost me $11 and I almost freaked out

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) August 25, 2009 at 4:41 am

OMGawd! That is the COOLEST looking fruit I have ever seen! I must find one :shock:

Jenn

Becca I. August 29, 2014 at 8:49 am

I’ll admit, I’ve never seen or read any of your blog before BUT! I found my first dragon fruit this morning and I was wanting to make sure I didn’t have to do anything odd with my yummy looking, colorful new little friend that is sitting in my fridge waiting to be eaten later. It was like you were in my head with your comments; so wonderful and energetic, keep up the positive vibe, the world needs more people like you!
Looking forward to my dragon fruit, I promise to laugh all evil like for an extra few moments for you when I break into it!

Cheers and all the blessings in,the world to you in,all you do!

Megan February 9, 2016 at 5:56 pm

YUM! Love dragon fruit. I just shared a recipe for dragon fruit sorbet on my site – it is so.darn. good.

Megan
www.lifeonshadylane.com

Theodora August 17, 2017 at 3:00 pm

Thanks for the tips on dragon fruit!