Homemade 10-minute Yogurt

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on May 27, 2009

IMG_2159

Yes, you saw that right.

I thought I was seeing things too when I stumbled across Celine’s latest post over at Have Cake Will Travel.

Homemade Soy Yogurt?!

She posted a recipe for Homemade Soy Yogurt! If you have ever purchased soy yogurt (or any yogurt for that matter!) before you know how pricey it is.

So you can imagine my delight over the prospect of making my own Soy yogurt! With summer just around the corner I love having a cold breakfast option aside from cereal or a green monster. Off to the kitchen I went at 11pm last night!

The recipe was hands-down SIMPLE to make! From start to finish I was in and out of the kitchen in 10 minutes.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup soymilk (I’m sure you could use any type of milk?)
  • 1 T fresh lemon juice
  • 1-2 T agave (or any other sweetener- I used 1 T agave)
  • 1 T cornstarch
  • 1/2 t pure vanilla extract
  • fresh strawberries, chopped small (optional)

IMG_2158

Directions:

1. Mix soymilk + lemon juice together and allow to curdle. The milk bubbles a bit when you add the lemon juice.  Embrace your inner mad scientist and cackle ever so evily!

2. After 30 seconds or so, add in the agave and cornstarch. Blend with a hand blender until smooth.

3. Pop into microwave for 60 seconds on high.

4. Stir, stir, stir.

5. Microwave for another 60 seconds. Stir, stir, stir.

6. Add any mix-ins you want (she suggests vanilla extract, lemon zest, fruit, etc). I added fresh chopped strawberries (about 3) and 1/2 t vanilla extract.

7. Microwave for 60 seconds. Stir and then pop into the fridge to chill. Stir before eating.

Easy as that! :)

Time to make: 10 mins. flat

IMG_2157

Makes: 1.5-2 cups

I made this last night before bed for a quick breakfast in the morning! My strawberry soy yogurt was waiting for me when I came downstairs this morning. It got all thick in the fridge overnight. :)

This breakfast took me all of 2 minutes to prepare:

– Add 1 T ground flax

– Add 1/2 T pumpkin seeds

– Add t raw cacao nibs (from Whole Foods)

– few dried cranberries

– Add fresh blueberries

IMG_2165

Here are the nutritional stats for the soy yogurt (Just the milk, cornstarch, 2 T agave, and lemon juice):

Untitlefffffffffffffffffd

Note: That is for the whole recipe (almost 2 cups) and it is using 2 T agave (not 1 like I used). If you are only using 1 T agave, subtract 60 calories or so.

The taste?

• I liked this much more than my unsweetened Solgurt! However, I don’t think I am used to the taste of Agave all too much. I think I would have liked it better sweetened with something else. Next time I might try honey or raw sugar.
  • All and all this recipe is a winner. It is a quick and cheap alternative to store bought yogurt! Celine says it becomes addicting so I’m going to trust her on that one! :)

IMG_2163

I also estimated this batch to cost under $1.00 CAD!!! I’m pretty sure the Solgurt I buy in the store is $3.99??

With my added nuts, seeds, cranberries, and blueberries this breakfast runs about 357 calories and packs tons of healthy fats, protein, and fibre! Check it out:

Untitledfixins

The wheels are already turning to use this in green monsters, baking recipes, and unsweetened spread over sweet potatoes, salads, or other meals! Wouldn’t this be awesome in a taco salad??

The possibilities are endless!

Today’s question: What is your favourite way to eat yogurt? What meals/recipes do you love that include yogurt?

Page 2 of 2«12
miky October 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

hi, thanks for the recipe. I just tried using almond milk and lime juice, i didn’t have all the original ingredients. Mine came out kind of watery and curdled, it doesn’t look like the smooth creamy picture on top of this page. Not sure if the issue is in the different ingredients or in how i execute the directions.

kang li May 9, 2014 at 8:57 am

Just perfect :D I need soy yoghurt for a recipe that looks so good but Singapore hasn’t really caught on cruelty-free yet :(

arijana May 22, 2014 at 12:39 am

i made this with rice milk and it was great. a little watery but great

Alissa September 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

I tried this with home made almond milk and it worked out great. The lemon doesn’t make it bubble when you put it in but it turned into thick yummy yoghurt – which was even better at the 24 hour mark. My little 18 month old couldn’t get enough. I used strawberries and 1 scant Tbsp maple syrup as the almond milk already had dates in it. You do have to watch it closely in the microwave so it doesn’t spill over. I turned down the microwave for the last minute.I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t work with coconut milk.

Madeline February 5, 2015 at 1:20 am

Hi I was just wondering if the ‘at’ used in the recipe refers to a teaspoon or tablespoon? Thank you

Shelley October 14, 2015 at 1:05 pm

I tried this twice with soy milk and could not get it to thicken up! Has anyone else had this problem? I’m wondering if maybe I didn’t allow enough time for the lemon juice to work…

Jamea T. January 2, 2016 at 12:43 am

I tried this with a homemade almond/cashew milk and it came out delicious! :) I had mine with just vanilla. It’s very creamy. Next time I want to try using rice or coconut milk and double the ingredients to make at least a quart or more. Maybe even use this for frozen yogurt. I also want to try warming the yogurt and letting it incubate/or sit out to see if the flavors develop since sometimes lemon juice or vinegar are used to introduce bacteria for yogurt. Anyways, thank you for posting this recipe. It’s gone from the website you’ve posted unfortunately, but I’m glad you have this version here.

marychansing January 11, 2016 at 4:46 am

Thank you for this recipe! I want to taste it with my family! Have you a yogurt maker? I want to buy it but I can’t make my choice between Cuisinart CYM-100 electronic yogurt maker and Dash Greek yogurt maker. I read about these models at the topreviews.best. What can you say about these models? Help me, please

Diana February 14, 2016 at 7:00 pm

I may have missed this in the thread, but it seems like this recipe would be yogurt in flavor but not have the beneficial probiotics. Do you know if the probiotics culture with this method? I feed my son vegan yogurt every morning in part because of his stomach issues. I’d love to switch to making my own, but don’t want to lose the probiotic benefits.

Angela Liddon March 17, 2016 at 3:11 pm

Hi Diana, I don’t believe the probiotics culture with this method. One option might be to add 1-2 probiotic capsules as a supplement. Or, you could try searching for cultured vegan yogurt recipes online – I’m sure there are some great ones out there! Good luck! :)

Kelly June 27, 2016 at 11:49 am

This didn’t set at all for me and I left it in the fridge overnight. :/

Mychael McNeeley September 13, 2016 at 11:02 pm

Hi, Angela- I’m checking around on different ways to make yogurt. This seems fantastic. I’m wondering if this method wouldn’t include the probiotics due to there being no “starter”. Do you know? I’ve been checking into some vegan cultures. Have you used them? Do you have a favorite? Thanks!

Rachel October 16, 2016 at 9:54 am

Is there a microwave free version?

Morgan November 1, 2016 at 10:38 am

This looks wonderful, but is there any way to make it without a microwave? I live in the dark ages… THANKS!

Christine Westrich November 21, 2016 at 10:01 pm

I love this blog and have made so tried and enjoyed so many of the recipes! But I have to say that this recipe is just not accurate in being advertised as “yogurt.” By definition, a yogurt product is fermented by added bacteria. This looks yummy, but is more like soured, thickened soy milk as opposed to yogurt. Might you consider renaming the recipe or adding a disclaimer? I was seeking a homemade yogurt recipe to help my 16 month old with tummy issues, but this will not fit the bill. Thanks!

Lindsay July 23, 2017 at 4:28 pm

I doubled this recipe and it turned out fabulous. I am too lazy for the fermented method and too cheap to spend so much on it at the store. Thank you for this easy recipe! I tried it with coconut milk and it never thickened, but soy milk worked great!

Lane Buckler October 26, 2017 at 5:25 pm

What milk brand did you use? Can I use Silk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 27, 2017 at 7:24 am

Hey Lane, I’m not sure about the specific brand as it’s been years since I made this recipe and my memory is a bit foggy! :) Soy-milk should be fine I would think, across different brands. Let me know if you try it out!