Cheesy Lentil Bolognese Casserole + Celebrating 9 years!!

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-15

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole

Oh She Glows just celebrated her 9th birthday! Can you believe it? (I know, I know, where is the cake? I didn’t plan this very well, did I? I promise you today’s recipe is a keeper even if it’s not covered in frosting. Do you think cheese-covered will do the trick?!)

Many moons ago, in October 2008, Eric looked at me and said, “Ange, you need a hobby!” I was hunched in front of my computer poring over research. We’d just returned from our honeymoon, and I was already stressed out over all the catch-up work that was waiting for me at home.

At the time, I was a master’s student wrapping up my thesis, and also working full-time as a researcher. To say I was feeling burned out is an understatement. I definitely hadn’t been making time for fun. When Eric asked me what hobbies I had, I honestly couldn’t think of anything outside my daily gym sessions. “I’m not sure if working out counts….” he’d say. My only downtime was a weekly night out at a local bar—hardly restorative, though it did feel that way briefly! So I took Eric’s advice (a rare occurrence, he says), and that same week hit publish on my very first Oh She Glows blog post!

This blog became a place for me to have fun, explore, write my heart out, try new things, and just get out of “research mode” for a bit. Still, I expected that I would blog for a couple weeks and grow tired of it, but I tapped into something that had been hiding deep below the surface for many, many years…my creativity! OH, HELLO. I couldn’t recall the last time I had really allowed my creative self to flourish. Once I’d awoken the creative beast inside, there was no stopping me. (Eric, did you have any idea what you’d be getting yourself into?!)

Soon it became clear that this unsuspecting hobby had grown into a full-fledged passion. I found the courage to write about my journey with disordered eating and how I was working on a positive relationship with food. By practicing every day, I taught myself how to cook and photograph my food (so I could inspire you to make it too!), and eventually became confident enough to experiment with my own recipes. Nine years later, one of my favourite things to do is cook and try new things in the kitchen. I always joke that I rarely follow my own recipes because I have too much fun playing around with them, and so they’ll often turn out differently each time. To me, that’s when it gets really fun! That said, there are some recipes I like to follow to a T…like my favourite cookies. I take my treats very seriously. Bahaha.

So, thanks Eric, for seeing all those years ago that I needed to give myself some time for creativity. I can’t imagine my life without this space, and all of you. The connections and friendships I’ve made through Oh She Glows have been the happiest surprise of all.

Last week, I had the pleasure of attending Taste Canada’s annual Awards Gala, where I was honoured to receive two gold awards for food writing (one for Health and Special Diets Cookbook of the year for my latest cookbook, Oh She Glows Every Day, and a second recognizing Oh She Glows as best Health and Special Diets Food Blog 2017). Thinking back over the past 9 years, it all feels surreal. I had so many inspiring conversations and left that evening even more grateful for this community and what I do.

Thank you for coming on this journey with me. Here’s to discovering new hobbies, chasing dreams, and, hopefully, another 9 years!!

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-9

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-10

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-12

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-14

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-6

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-5

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-2

4.6 from 7 reviews

Cheesy Lentil Bolognese Casserole

Vegan, soy-free

By

Our family is in love with this cheesy, creamy, and hearty casserole! Traditional bolognese is made with a meat-based sauce, but my version uses lentils and mushrooms for a high fibre, immune-boosting twist. It’s great served with a simple salad of marinated greens (for a quick homemade dressing, try my Shake-and-Go Balsamic Vinaigrette from Oh She Glows Every Day), sautéed kale, or my Crowd-Pleasing Vegan Caesar Salad and some crusty fresh bread. Divine! Here are some time-saving tips: if you’re looking for a head-start on meal prep, the cheese sauce can be made a couple days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container. You can also prepare the entire casserole in advance: simply follow the recipe through step #9 (stop before baking!), wrap it up, refrigerate, and then cook as-is one to two days later as directed in step #10. Imagine coming home to this casserole ready to bake at the end of a long day! Nothing is better. This recipe is adapted from my Fusilli Lentil-Mushroom Bolognese in Oh She Glows Every Day.

Yield
8 servings
Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients:

• 1 batch All-Purpose Cheese Sauce
  • 14 ounces (400 g) fusilli or rotini pasta (about 4 1/2 cups dry pasta)
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium sweet onion, diced (about 2 cups/280 g)
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 (8-ounce/255 g) package sliced cremini mushrooms*
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano**
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil**
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme**
  • 3 cups (750 mL) chunky marinara sauce***
  • One (14-ounce/398 mL) can lentils, drained and rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons (30 mL) runny tahini
  • 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 to 2 cups (40 to 80 g) stemmed and finely chopped kale (optional)
  • Paprika, for garnish
  • Cashew-Garlic Parmesan, for garnish

Directions:

1. Oil a very large casserole dish (approx. 10" x 14") and set aside. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
  2. Prepare the cheese sauce. While the potatoes and carrots simmer for the cheese sauce, start on steps 3 and 4.
  3. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta according to package instructions. Be sure not to overcook it. Drain and set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven or pot (about 5 quarts), add the oil, onion, and garlic. Stir and add a pinch of salt. Sauté over medium heat for about 3 to 5 minutes, until the onion is softened and translucent.
  5. Stir in the mushrooms, oregano, basil, and thyme, and cook for another 7 to 9 minutes over medium-high heat until the water cooks off.
  6. Add the marinara sauce, drained lentils, and tahini. Stir until combined. Now add the cooked pasta and continue stirring until it’s coated in the lentil-veggie mixture.
  7. Taste and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir in the kale, if desired. Turn off the heat.
  8. Spoon all of the pasta mixture into the prepared casserole dish and spread it out evenly.
  9. Pour the cheese sauce over top and spread it out with the back of a spoon until it covers the entire surface. Garnish with paprika (it adds a beautiful pop of red), more herbs, and black pepper, if desired.
  10. Bake the casserole uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, until heated through. (If you’re baking the casserole straight from the fridge, bake it for 25 to 30 minutes as it’ll take longer to heat up). Serve immediately with a generous sprinkle of Cashew-Garlic Parmesan on top of each portion. Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. The leftovers are just as delicious chilled!

Tips:

* If your sliced mushrooms are on the thicker side, dice them up before adding to the pot—they’ll cook faster. The same is true if you’re using whole mushrooms: the smaller you slice them the quicker they’ll cook. If you are a big mushroom fan like I am, you may want to consider doubling the amount listed above.

** If using fresh herbs, measure 2 teaspoons (10 g) of each.

*** If the casserole is going to sit in the fridge for a couple days before you cook it, feel free to stir in an extra 1/2 (125 mL) to 3/4 cup (180 mL) of marinara sauce. This isn’t absolutely necessary, but helps counteract any moisture loss while sitting in the fridge.

Make it gluten-free: use gluten-free pasta and cook as directed.

Make it kid-friendly: process the mushrooms in a food processor until minced. The mushrooms will be virtually undetectable, but your meal will still retain their immune boosting benefits!

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-3

cheesylentilbolognesecasserole-16

You can also find this casserole recipe (including the cheese sauce and vegan parmesan) in The Oh She Glows Recipe App (iOS and Android). Happy cooking!

1 uherbivore November 10, 2017

wow 9 years – congrats from everybody at uherbivore.com. :)
&
super delicious recipe – thank you so much.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

Thank you for your congrats…and I hope you enjoy it if you try it out. :)

3 Carolina November 10, 2017

wow, congrats! There’s something unique about your blog, for some reason I always know every recipe will turn out great if I try it. You keep taste and convenience in mind and it really shows in your pictures and the finished results when I try some recipes out at home. Plus your cookbooks are super easy to read and relate-able with the cute little stories…Thanks for sharing with the world! <3

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

Thank you so much Carolina…your support really means the world to me!

5 Yasmine November 10, 2017

This looks and sounds AMAZING. Have already printed both recipes so I can try making this over the weekend!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

So happy to hear that you’re so excited to make it! Let me know how it goes :)

7 Laura ~ Raise Your Garden November 22, 2017

WIshing you many felicitations! And I wish my husband would tell me I need another hobby!

8 Kate S. November 10, 2017

I am so thankful for your blog and app and cookbooks and recipes…never thought something so healthy could be SO FREAKING DELICIOUS. Thank you and congrats!!

PS. this casserole is on my weekend to do list.

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

You don’t know how happy that makes me…I feel like my purpose is being accomplished. Thank YOU, Kate! Please let me know how the casserole goes if you try it out. I might make it yet again tonight for company. I want to serve it with my crowd-pleasing caesar salad and garlic bread at some point too when I have a bit more time…mmmmmmm.

10 Monique November 10, 2017

Hahaha! So true! There should be a like button for the comments :)

11 Niina November 10, 2017

Congratulations Angela! I’ve been following your blog for years now and reading your blog posts always make me so happy! Thank you so much for that. Love your recipes too (obviously) and they have really helped me reduce meat and dairy in my diet. I wish you and your family all the best in the future and hope that you will keep on writing. ❤️

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

Thank you for the love, Niina!! That’s so cool you’ve been reading for years and haven’t gotten sick of me yet…hehe

13 Amanda Maguire November 10, 2017

Has it really been 9 years?! That would mean I’ve been reading for, um, 7…wow! I think I need a moment to process this. lol Obviously, I just adore all that you’ve created over the years. You’ve been a huge source of inspiration for me, and I still turn to your first cookbook for when I need a crowd-pleasing dish, especially when I’m cooking for picky eaters. Big congrats to you, Angela, and cheers to the next 9 wonderful years! xo

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 10, 2017

Amanda, I remember you supporting my blog waaaaay back in the early days!! Where does the time go? I adore you and your blog!

15 Monique November 10, 2017

Wow, congrats on 9 years! I actually met my husband in October 2008 so I can totally remember that month lol :) It feels like yesterday and like a lifetime ago. Since we are of the same age, and I’ve been following your blog for years, I can also relate to all the ups, downs and accompanying life lessons learned over the years (esp since becoming a mom). Thank you so much for sharing and for being you. Your journey has inspired me so much! Aside from your ah-mazing recipes I feel so inspired by your stamina, honesty and zest for life. Your ‘I Quit’ blog post is one I still re read often <3 Keep rocking!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2017

LOL…I just read this to Eric and said Monique met you in October 2008!! He was so confused. And then I realized you said you met your husband, lol. I need more coffee!!
Sounds like Oct 2008 was a pretty lucky month for us. Thank you so much for your kind words…it means so much to me!

17 Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) November 10, 2017
Recipe Rating:

As your (VERY lucky🤗,) recipe tester, I have the fun of seeing my daycare moms swoon over your cookies, brownies and other recipes at pick-up time, and watching as they struggle to get a few bites before their children snag the test item to gobble up themselves :) We all fell in love with this incredibly creamy and flavourful pasta, and it was particularly amusing to see the kids fighting for another bite! I expect it with cookies…but with pasta?!

Warmest congratulations on 9 years of great success with your blog and your well deserved awards from Taste Canada! Perhaps even more importantly, congratulations on following your heart and dreams and on sharing them…that takes courage and dedication and you have my sincere thanks. You know what Oh She Glows has meant to me!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2017

Thanks for your congrats!! I don’t know what I’d do without you Nicole…I’m so grateful you are on our team! Your feedback is so crucial to the recipe development process.
PS- It’s so funny to picture toddlers fighting over this recipe. ;)

19 Lynn November 10, 2017

Hi Ange!
What a wonderful nine years it has been. Yes, I have been with you 8-9 years.
Your blog has kept me on the best eating way of life. I have used many of your recipes and love them.
Yea to hubs for suggesting the hobby!
Love to you~
Lynn

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2017

Lynn, Your comment made me smile so much!! I’m so blown away you’ve been following for so long. Thank you for all your support! Here’s to many delicious recipes to come. :)

21 Jennifer Stewart November 11, 2017

Thank-you for helping me (and my family and friends) enjoy good health and avoid disease – without deprivation. Oh, and a request for more oil-free recipes if possible. Your work is fabulous!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 11, 2017

Thank you so much Jennifer! By the way, if you ever have any questions about omitting the oil, I’m happy to help troubleshoot on specific recipes.

23 Lacey November 11, 2017

Congrats on 9 years of blogging amazing recipes!!! I’ve tried mostly all of them and have loved every single one. I always recommend people starting out veggie to go to you. I have both of your cookbooks, and they are absolutely the most used of them all. Thank you so much for your time and effort, Angela!

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2017

Aww what a compliment Lacey…thank you for being so eager to try out my recipes (and refer friends to them too!). It makes me so happy to hear that my cookbooks are used so much too. Big hugs!

25 Marissa November 11, 2017

Hi Angela,

Do you think you’ll ever be posting your Pumpkin Protein Smoothie recipe again? I missed it when you posted it on snapchat ages ago. haha

Thank you!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2017

Hey Marissa, I revisited that recipe recently and I wasn’t as blown away by it as I remembered…lol…but I will make a note to try and improve it a bit, and if I do I will share it on insta stories!

27 Julie Bigras November 12, 2017

Congrats Angela, and thanks for hlping m pursu my vegan way of eating! i must say a lot of my collagues and friends now know i don’t eat only salads, and the YES vegan can be delicious! i had to provide the links to some of your recipes so many times! so in a way you contribute a lot to less animals being eaten so thank you !

i have a question though . what marinara sauce are you referring to? is it yours that you want us to make more chunky or is it a commercial one? the ones i bought in another life were not really that good…any recommendation on a brand? thanks!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Thank you so much for the kind words Julie!
My go-to store bought marinara sauce is the one from Costco…”White Linen Collection” it is absolutely ADDICTIVE!! We stock pile it in our house.

29 Jessica November 12, 2017

Congratulations on so many delicious years! Your two cookbooks are on my coffee table in eyesight as I write this – both equally fantastic! My fiancé and I just had an eerily similar conversation about the whole needing a hobby thing. As an avid baker, he gifted me a domain name last year for Christmas and I have hardly touched it. It is my goal to get that blog started!! Looking forward to following you for years to come, xx

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Thanks for your congrats Jessica, and support for my cookbooks. What a sweet gesture for your fiancé to buy you that domain! I always say the hardest part is starting for any new project or hobby. Good luck!

31 Karen November 18, 2017

Angela, thanks for making plant based eating so easy and SO tasty! I look forward to trying this recipe and maybe a new cookbook one day?! ;)

Jessica, let us all know your blog name, when you’re up to it…I would love to follow along on your journey!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2017

Thank you Karen!! I’m waiting on inspiration for a 3rd book as I don’t want to force it, you know? But I’m hopeful one day there will be another! Thanks for your support!

33 Metiya November 12, 2017

Wow what a lovely story, congratulations on 9 years! I am about to go and eat pasta now thats to you hahaha this recipe looks delicious! x Metiya

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Thanks Metiya…enjoy the casserole!

35 Jac Hives November 12, 2017

I have been following you for ages – but not 9 years I dont think, can we see a link to your first post? Congratulations!

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Absolutely…here it is Jac: http://ohsheglows.com/2008/10/31/boo/

Thanks for your congrats!

37 Stacy November 12, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Another winning recipe Angela! I cut the recipe in half since I live alone and didn’t make the cheese sauce and it turned out great! Tasty and healthy – keep up the great work!
Stacy, Vancouver BC

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Thanks Stacy!

39 Annie November 13, 2017

Any tips for freezing this? Thanks!

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2017

Hey Annie, I haven’t tried freezing this yet unfortunately. But if I did try it I would freeze it before baking, making sure to thaw it overnight in the fridge. I would also probably add a bit more marinara sauce (3/4-1 cup?) just to make sure the freezing part didn’t dry it out. If you try it out would you share how it goes? :)

41 Alice Alexander November 13, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Great recipe!! Husband and I both loved it.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2017

Wonderful news..thanks for trying it out Alice :)

43 Dianne November 13, 2017

Howdy! Long time follower and avid fan here. Do you think this recipe would freeze well?

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2017

Hey Dianne, Oh good timing on this freezer question as my recipe tester Nicole just left some freezer feedback of her own (and I contributed my two cents earlier, as well). I hope this helps and thank you so much for following along for so long. :)

45 Stacie November 13, 2017

Wait. How can this be?! Where does the time go? I remember one of your first posts. It was Halloween themed with Sketchie and he had the spooky eyes from the camera flash–ha ha ha!! Needless to say, I’ve been a huge fan from the beginning. Congrats on all of your success. You (& Eric) deserve it!!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2017

Oh my gosh, that’s so cute you remember that post!! I went back and read it this week. So random…love it! haha. Thank you so much for reading all of this time Stacie <3

47 Nicole W. (Oh She Glows Recipe Tester) November 14, 2017

Hi! Angela asked me to pop in and share the experience I had with freezing the Cheesy Lentil-Bolognese Casserole.

After preparing and baking the casserole, I froze individual portions in medium freezer bags, including a sprinkling of irresistable Cashew-Garlic Parmesan, with all extra air pressed out of the bag. Several days later, I thawed a portion in the microwave for a few minutes and the result? Perfection! The dish had the same wonderful flavour and texture as when I served it fresh.

Full disclosure? I had frozen the portions for a friend but the day got away from me and I was rooting through the freezer for a quick meal…I couldn’t resist heating and eating just one more serving of this dish for myself! I’m an awful friend, right?!😂😂

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2017

lol..Nicole you crack me up!

Thank you so much for posting your freezer tip…always love hearing about how others do it successfully.

49 Jennifer November 14, 2017

Congratulations on 9 years! What a wonderful, beautiful and delicious help to so many of us your hobby has been. You are probably the only recipe provider that I trust that the recipe will always be easy to follow and will taste amazing! I’ve made dozens of your recipes and every one of them has been delicious and makes me feel healthier for having eaten it.

I hope this blog continues to be something you love to do because so many of us love that you do it!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2017

Thank you Jennifer, I appreciate your support so much. I put tons of effort into testing them and writing (what I hope will be) clear and precise instructions, so it means a lot to me that you trust them so much.

51 Petrucia Sawchuk November 15, 2017

Congratulations on 9 wonderful years! When my best friend told me several years ago about trying out this blog “Oh She Glows” for inspiration as a new vegan, little did she know that it became a regular addiction for me checking out and trying so many of your recipes! I was wondering where your FAQ page on your site was and if you would be bringing it again. Wanted to see what food processor you used and recommended and any other kitchen tools you used/recommended. Many thanks Petrucia

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2017

Aww haha that’s so sweet! Well, I’m honoured it became a regular addiction for you. Thank you Petrucia!
My FAQ page is at the top header, but it’s easy to miss right now with the current menu: http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/
I am not sure why, but my Amazon store with product recommendations isn’t working. I’ll have to make a note to look into this! So sorry.
As for my processor, I don’t recommend the one I currently use as I’ve recently had some issues with it (broken parts). It’s a Cuisinart 14-cup. If you have any other questions, I’m happy to help!

53 Marta November 15, 2017
Recipe Rating:

Made this recipe tonight for dinner. The lentil bolognese itself was delicious! Ground the mushrooms up for the kiddos as recommended in the notes, and my usually suspicious children downed the lentils and mushrooms happily. Big win! I loved the cheese sauce as well. My dairy-eating husband thought it was nice but for me, it was the closest thing to queso I’ve had in years and I wanted to take a bath in it! I didn’t end up topping the casserole w/the cheese, though. I made a little sample bowl before baking to see if I liked them together and I felt like the bolognese overpowered the cheese and the cheese didn’t add much to the bolognese. So…sorry! I agree to disagree. But I’m delighted that we had an excellent pasta dinner tonight and will have a fantastic cheese sauce for topping broccoli tomorrow night.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2017

Hey Marta, That’s so great that the bolognese was such a hit (and that you took advantage of the mushroom grinding tip..works like a charm!!) Funny you prefer it without the cheese sauce…that was my fave part of the casserole (the bites of pasta topped with a nice thick layer of cheese sauce), but I love your idea of serving it with broccoli too. It’s amazing!

55 Anna Lee November 16, 2017

Angela, congrats on a fantastic 9 years (and more to come I hope)! I am so thankful for your blog as it has transformed the way I eat tremendously and turned this lazy boxed-dinner vegetarian into a full-blown whole foods plant based babe. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for OSG! Your Fusilli Lentil-Mushroom Bolognese is one of my favorite recipes (lentils, mushrooms, AND pasta? yes please!), and I can’t wait to make this.
Congrats again and thank you so much! :D

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2017

Anna, I’m thrilled to hear this and so grateful to be a part of your journey! Sounds like we’ve had similar changes with our diet over the years. High fives! :)

57 Olya November 16, 2017

Congratulations, what a milestone!

58 Georgina Collins November 16, 2017

Congratulations! Your blog was the first one that inspired me to cook vegan dishes. Keep up the good work!! We love OhSheglows

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 17, 2017

Thank you Georgina! I’m so happy to hear that my recipes inspired you to try vegan dishes

60 Ashley November 17, 2017

Congrats on 9 years!!! The food blogging world wouldn’t be nearly as delicious or as inspiring without you! xo

61 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2017

Right back at you my dear!! Hope you are feeling well..I’ve been thinking about you tons!

62 Samantha November 17, 2017

This looks delicious! I’m wondering though, can this be made without the Tahini Sauce?

There is a nut allergy in the family (my one year old nephew) and I’d like to steer clear of things that could possibly trigger an outbreak, but am interested in this dish for a family dinner.

Thanks for your help! And congrats on 9 years!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2017

Hey Samantha, Yes, it can be made without the tahini for sure! The tahini is in there just to mellow out the acidity of the tomato and to add richness, but it’s not a required ingredient.

64 Bonnie November 18, 2017

Congratulations Angela on 9 years! Your blog is till my favourite and your recipes never fail to taste amazing.

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 18, 2017

Thank you so much Bonnie! Really happy to hear you love the blog and recipe so much :)

66 Yvie November 18, 2017

I’m so happy I came across your blog. I’m lactose intolerant and in desperate need of some great vegan recipes. This casserole looks exactly like the kind of recipe I really need to be trying!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2017

Thank you Yvie…I hope you enjoy it!

68 Cbell November 18, 2017

I so appreciate the ‘make it kid friendly’ tip for this beautiful and delicious looking casserole. Thank you! I’ll be adding this to next week’s meal plan. Woot! And congrats on 9 years!!

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2017

Processing the mushrooms is a great little trick I picked up recently…they virtually disappear. :) I hope you enjoy it if you try it out, and thanks for your congrats!

70 Amanda U November 19, 2017

Congrats on 9yrs!!! Your blog and recipes are truly inspiring to me and my family.
I made the lentil bolognese almost immediately when it came out and mum husband and I loved it! Mum kids on the other hand are fussy farts and turned their nose up at it (I think they’re nuts), which means we end up with a large amount of leftovers.
Do you know if it freezes well?

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Hey Amanda, Thanks for your congrats!
I haven’t tried it myself, but my recipe tester Nicole says it freezes well. :)

72 Rachael November 19, 2017

This looks like amazing comfort food! I’ve just started on a bit of a health kick after having our first baby. Your recipe book has been so helpful! Thank you

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Congrats on your new baby Rachael :) So glad my recipes have been helping with your healthy eating goals!

74 Veg November 19, 2017

Congrats on 9 wonderful years of good recipes and inspiring blog.I’m so happy I came across your blog.

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Thank you for the love…so happy to have you following along!

76 Samantha November 19, 2017

Congrats and thank you. I have made several recipes. I am making Vegan Lasagna with Basil Cashew Cheeze (again) as we speak. A definite favorite!

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Thank you Samantha! That’s great you love the lasagna recipe so much. It’s been AGES since I’ve made that one….I need to soon.

78 Shelby Raffi November 19, 2017
Recipe Rating:

I made this tonight! I really enjoyed it. It had a good flavor. Not sure really why it needed to be baked though, it seemed the same before that. I didn’t add the vegan Parmesan because I don’t have a food processor, but I would if I could!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Hey Shelby, The baking is done so the cheese sauce warms throughout. If you wanted, you could heat it up beforehand probably and skip the baking part. Your call!

80 Tamara Jewett November 20, 2017

Wow – 9 years! I just passed a big ohsheglows cooking milestone myself this past week. When your second cookbook came out, I set myself a challenge of finishing every recipe in the first cookbook before I bought it for myself. I have so many cookbooks where I gravitate to 2-5 favourite recipes then stop exploring the book. I felt that I should try to make everything to justify adding another book to the shelf.

Between law school and busy summer jobs and interruptions to focus on some other books, I FINALLY finished that challenge last week, completing everything down to the vegan mayo and other “homemade staples”. I loved discovering some of the recipes that I didn’t originally gravitate too but that ended up being delicious. My last recipe was the vegan chocolate cake, and I hosted a big potluck with friends to celebrate where we all made recipes from your blog and both cookbooks:) I have now ordered the second cookbook from the small, independent bookstore in my parent’s town (love to support them:) ).

The whole thing was a lot of fun – keep making awesome recipes:) I’ve really enjoyed this blog since discovering it through a friend on my track team almost 7 years ago!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Wow, Tamara…that’s so great to hear that you cooked every single recipe in the first book!! And it’s so cool to hear that you hosted a big potluck at the end. I’m so honoured!
Thank you so much for all your support, and I hope you love cooking through the second book just as much.

82 Alexandra November 20, 2017
Recipe Rating:

This look super good! I’m really happy I’ve found your blog because these recipes looks amazing and easy to make!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Hey Alexandra, I’m glad you found it too…. :) Thanks for the love!

84 Victoria November 20, 2017

Made this recipe this past Saturday for dinner and it was a big hit!!!

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 20, 2017

Hey Victoria, That’s great news! Thank you for letting me know. :)

86 Ariane November 21, 2017
Recipe Rating:

My boyfriend and I really liked the recipe! I minced the mushrooms because I am not so fond of them and my boyfriend (nor I myself) detected them.
I did have trouble not eating all the cheese sauce before it was time to put it on.
Maybe I should make a double batch of it next time.

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2017

haha I’ve definitely considered making a double batch too! Glad I’m not alone. I’m happy to hear the mushroom mincing technique worked for you both too!

88 Anne-Marie Noreau November 21, 2017

Hi ! Congrats ! I have all your recipee books i can say that 75% of the food i cook for my family comes from you !

Can you put this in the freezer?

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2017

Thank you so much Anne-Marie!

My recipe tester Nicole has said that she has frozen it successfully. I haven’t tried it yet myself.

90 Charlene November 23, 2017

Happy ninth anniversary!!!!!!! Love your recipes!!! They are great. I can’t wait to try the lentil bolognese casserole. It looks awesome

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2017

Thank you so much Charlene!

92 Lynn November 23, 2017

Wow, 9 years, congratulations. I LOVE all your recipes and of course have your books. I have given them as gifts as well and they have been well received and loved. I am going to try this recipe this weekend for a Grey Cup get together. See how the meat lovers like it!!! So good that you are following your dream, Angela. Keep up your amazing work as a wife, mother and recipe blogger and author:)

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2017

I’m so touched by your sweet words, Lynn! Thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I really appreciate it, and the fact that you’ve so generously gifted my books to loved ones in your life.