Avocado Strawberry Caprese

avocadostrawberrycaprese-02737

I absolutely love the work I do each day; given the choice, I wouldn’t pick any other field, which feels pretty awesome after following an unexpected, winding path to get here. (When I started the blog way back in 2008, I had just graduated with a Master’s degree in Social-Personality Psychology and was working as a researcher.) If I could take on a few more big projects right now, I would in a heartbeat because lately the inspiration never stops! It seems like Eric and I discuss new ideas every week. If you’re curious, some of the ideas include: creating cooking videos, redesigning the blog, opening a cafe or juice/smoothie bar and delivery service, creating a meal plan service, writing a children’s book (seriously!), starting an apparel line, growing our recipe app, taking food photography courses, and the list goes on and on. But then reality sets in and I know my priority has to be keeping my head above water, and not biting off more than I can chew. So lately, I feel like I’m in this confusing place with my career. I’m decent at judging how much I can take on, but still find myself yearning to do more and lagging behind the speed of my dreams. This passion makes it easy to feel like there isn’t enough time in the day. Throw motherhood into the mix, and it’s even more of a juggling act; my parenting and self-employed roles are 24/7, always on call, with problems popping up just when I think things are going smoothly. There are big highs and lows, often in the same day. This is part of what makes life so rewarding though, and it fuels me to want to improve—or at least on the worst of days, to work on my patience and practice a bit more self-compassion.

As I mentioned in a recent post, Eric and I have talked a lot about whether we should take the next step and grow—such as by hiring a small team—although it feels almost as daunting as it does exciting. That said, I hired an editorial intern earlier this year, and it’s worked out very well! Part of me now realizes that a whole team of inspiring minds would be something absolutely amazing, but I guess I don’t know how to make that happen with a second baby, book, and renovations all happening this year. When is the right time, and is there ever a right time? Or, do I simply accept what I often read: that my career is destined to be in “maintenance mode” for the time being as a new parent? Do I dive in headfirst or start small and take baby steps along the way? I’ve been following the latter approach for years; even though it feels right to my practical mind, I get impatient at times.

There’s no real point to this thinking out loud today, other than to share what’s on my busy mind, and to remind myself that this journey is a work in progress. And it will always be. Maybe you are struggling with similar questions or wondering how to juggle various priorities in your life, too. We’re all doing the best we can each day, trying to make good decisions; they don’t always work out, but some will exceed our wildest expectations. It often feels like other people are doing more or growing more (a feeling that the internet seems to multiply a million times over!), but they’re probably feeling just as confused and taking it one day at a time like most. At least, that’s what I like to tell myself! Plus, I’m a firm believer that life isn’t a competition; we can build each other up to achieve success, no matter how we personally define it.

“But if you don’t have the courage let’s try to get you some. Because creative living is a path for the brave. We all know this. And we all know that when courage dies, creativity dies with it. We all know that fear is a desolate boneyard where our dreams go to desiccate in the hot sun.”

Elizabeth Gilbert, Big Magic (2015)

avocadostrawberrycaprese-4114

When my brain is running a mile a minute, simple meals are where it’s at. Especially in the summer. That’s why I’m so excited to share this easy salad from the Love and Lemons Cookbook. I made a few small changes (such as omitting the mozzarella, increasing the balsamic vinegar, and swapping toasted pecans for sesame seeds). This salad is right up my alley, and I think it’ll be a new favourite for you as well!

I’m a big fan of Jeanine and Jack’s blog and their simple approach to cooking with seasonal produce. You can’t help but be inspired to eat more veggies when you visit their site. Their first cookbook, Love and Lemons: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking, was released earlier this year, and it’s an absolute stunner from the design and layout to the food photography. Since the book is divided into chapters by vegetable (or fruit category like berries, citrus, and stone fruit), it provides plenty of vegetarian cooking inspiration when you just don’t know what to cook with that on-the-brink-of-death eggplant or giant bag of sweet potatoes you just impulse-bought at the store. Big congrats Jeanine and Jack!

avocadostrawberrycaprese-02748

Avocado Strawberry Caprese

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

4.9 from 9 reviews

Meet your new favourite summer salad! This delightful combination of strawberries, avocado, basil, and tomatoes is tossed with a touch of extra-virgin olive oil, and drizzled with homemade balsamic reduction for a refreshing, lightly sweet salad that's great on a hot day. This recipe is lightly adapted from the Love and Lemons Cookbook (2016).

Yield
Serves 2
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup (80 mL) balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup (135 g) hulled and sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup (160 g) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and diced
  • 1/3 cup (8 g) loosely packed basil leaves, chiffonade cut
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Pink Himalayan salt or fine sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Toasted sesame seeds or chopped pecans, for serving

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar to a simmer over medium heat. Once the vinegar starts to simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes, uncovered, until the vinegar thickens, and reduces in volume by half. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, add the strawberries, tomatoes, avocado, and basil into a large shallow bowl.
  3. Drizzle on the oil and gently toss until the veggies are coated. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss again just briefly.
  4. Scatter on your desired amount of toasted seeds or nuts. Drizzle on all of the balsamic reduction.
  5. Serve immediately. This salad is definitely best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container for a few hours if necessary.

avocadostrawberrycaprese-02732

1 Christine Tewfik June 7, 2016

Long-time reader here! Five years ago, your blog taught me how to cook/bake, and I’ll always be grateful! This salad totally caught my eye. I was wondering, what would you suggest I add, protein-wise, to make it a full meal?

2 Angela Liddon June 7, 2016

Hi Christine, I would say some marinated tofu would be lovely!! For a super quick option, chickpeas are always an easy addition, too. Hope this helps!

3 Sheryl June 8, 2016

Wow, this looks amazing. Strawberries are a great addition! I think I’ll add candied pecans too! Thanks!

4 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

I hope you enjoy it, Sheryl!

5 Carolina Bertolucci June 7, 2016

Angela, I admire you so much for your ability to actually work towards your ambitions and not just dream about them. I find it so difficult to get projects going and stop feeling overwhelmed without knowing where to start. I can’t even imagine how much more challenging this is with a child (AND one on the way!). Do you have tips about how you manage your time and stick to deadlines that you create for yourself? What you do when you feel overwhelmed with ideas and don’t know where to start? Thank you for your inspiration :)

6 Carrie Southern June 7, 2016

Hi Angela,

I really relate to your inner thought process. I once read that we can feel like we are behind in our own life or not doing enough because we compare our “behind the scene reel to someone else’s highlight reel (meaning what we see on the internet, in magazine articles or interviews). I have had to remind myself of this many times as a mother and business owner. I believe there will always be that “I could be/should be doing more with my life” inner voice. When that comes up for me at this time in my life, (my daughter is 18 and is about to go off to Europe to volunteer) I remind myself of the love I poured into her. I remind myself of the time and the sacrifice of choice I made for her, and the intangible impact of simply being present to her in as she engages with life: baking cakes together when she was three, pitting cherries from our tree for a pie when she was five, swimming in the sea at sunset or walking through the trees, reading her stories, endless chatter about what catches her curiosity to the deeply heartfelt…. Honestly, time with her and my husband, at the end of the day is the greatest purpose in my life. Loving them and loving others has pushed its way to the top of the list of what my life is about. And, I don’t say that lightly because I am a very dedicated and driven in regards to my career endeavors! :) There is so much that I want for myself as a woman and also as a business owner. There is so much I have done and wish to accomplish in those regards, yet when that “not enough” voice comes I now know that it is nothing more than self distortion. Best wishes to you, Carrie

7 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Carrie, what a beautiful comment! It brought a tear to my eye reading about your relationship with your daughter. I couldn’t agree more. And I love the reminder that we tend to compare our “behind the scene reel to someone else’s highlight reel” – isn’t that the truth!

8 Carolina Bertolucci June 7, 2016

Also, please, please, do let us know if you decide to expand and hire a team because it would be absolutely amazing to work with you and contribute to such inspiring projects. There’s lots of talent out there ;) I’ve followed your work for a long time and have always kept an eye open for an opportunity when you might need outside help. If you ever need someone for editing, writing, recipe testing and creation, or anything else, I’m yours! xoxo

9 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Hey Carolina, Thank you! I will definitely announce if we’re hiring in the future. :) You are so right there’s a ton of talent out there and we could do some pretty amazing things. As for managing time and deadlines, the thing that works for me the best right now (and it’s so simple) is to-do lists. I write a “weekly” goal list at the end of the weekend, and then daily to-do lists each morning (or night before). It makes me so much more productive and focused than I would be otherwise. I put long-term deadlines in my Google calendar with pop up reminders. Other than that, I’m really quite disorganized (such as email…laundry….my pantry, hah), and need to find some better systems in place.

10 Melissa June 7, 2016

I was just struggling with what to make for a get-together I have coming up. This is perfect!

11 Angela Liddon June 7, 2016

That’s great, Melissa! I hope it’s a hit with everyone. :)

12 Emma June 7, 2016

Hi Angela,

Ohmygosh if you opened a cafe/juice bar, I would travel from Halifax back to my home province of Ontario to eat there in a heartbeat! I always kind of wondered whether that was something you ever considered, and it’s super exciting that you have! I know you’ve got a lot going on already, of course, but it’s always fun to dream about the future!
Anyway, I just wanted to say I admire your drive and your commitment to following your heart and accomplishing so many goals! Your work has already inspired so many people on their way to healthy eating, and if that’s not something of immense value in this day and age, then I don’t know what is!

13 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Emma, that is so sweet of you to say! Well, if it ever happens, I’d be honoured to have a fellow maritimer dine at my cafe. ;) Thanks for your kind words!

14 haley@ Cupcakes and Sunshine June 7, 2016

WOW! THE dreamiest of summer salads!!!

15 Kelli Lachance June 7, 2016

Hi Angela,

Beautiful-looking recipe! Can’t wait to try it…although I may leave out the avocado, as I am not a fan. I seem to remember AGES ago that you had asked readers to let you know of any say… incongruous ads on your blog. One of the ads currently showing up is a “steak planet” video that shows somebody making a steak recipe. Thought I’d let you know, just in case!

Thanks again for the recipes & inspiration!

16 Jeanine June 7, 2016

THANK YOU so much for posting about our book!!

That’s such a great Elizabeth Gilbert quote – I can’t wait to see what you choose to do next :)

17 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

No problem at all, Jeanine! Thank you for creating such a beautiful book!

18 Beth June 7, 2016

I remember my mother telling me when I was expecting my 3rd not to sign up for anything in my 2nd trimester that I would regret in my 3rd. Meaning that those few months in the middle after the first trimester cloud has lifted and you have a lot of feel good energizing hormones don’t start big projects without the long view in mind. Her advice ended up being very timely because my 3rd son was born with unanticipated health challenges that were all consuming for our family for a good 18 months. I guess the lesson that I learned is that a new baby is such an unpredictable life changer, I try to maintain the status quo for the 6 months before the baby comes and the 6 months after if I possibly can. This keeps family relationships the highest priority. Good luck!

19 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

That’s such great advice!! It’s so true that the 2nd trimester often brings with it more energy and aspirations (at least for me), and the 3rd tri and newborn phase is a huuuuuge reality check, lol. Still fun to dream, but I think it’s a good idea not to make huge commitments all the same. (This is coming from someone who is about to endure a summer of house renovations yet again in the 3rd tri….ughh, haha.)

20 Izzy Bruning June 7, 2016

Mmmmm wow looks good!
Izzy | https://plantbasedizzy.wordpress.com/

21 Ellary June 7, 2016

It’s great to read about what you have going on, your dreams and plans and “maybes”!
Just curious – what happened to the tea shop? It was on your site for awhile and it seemed to be getting going and now I don’t see it. Perhaps you decided to invest your time and resources into other pursuits.
Loving the photography lately – the food pops off the page!!
Keep up the great work.

22 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Hey Ellary, We announced the closure of the tea shoppe last fall so we could pursue other projects (one of which was our recently released app). Thanks for your kind words about the photography by the way. I feel like I’ve been struggling with it lately so your encouragement is appreciated. :)

23 Olena@iDOODreal June 7, 2016

Hi Angela. I never comment because I know you are busy. But maybe you will read this and it will help you. I have been blogging since 2012 and I am at a good place right now. I have exactly same thoughts and conversations with my husband just like you. Same ambitions and I know I could do more BUT after I had my 2nd child my desire to spend valuable time and be present in my family’s life has only grown so much more. Way more than when I had only 1 baby. Now I had 2 and suddenly they needed me so much and I wanted not to waste any time. So, my future goals are a bit on hold. But youngest one is going to school in Fall and I am starting to see how in a few years I will get more done with my blog than just a keeping it in “a maintenance mode”. Honestly, that 2nd child was a big game change for me…Even discussing a web design change after they are in bed is tiring to me…and when they are not in bed is almost impossible LOL. I thought “oh, what’s a big deal. I already have one!”. It became different dynamics – me more busy with 2 kids, their interaction plus school and sports. But I wouldn’t miss it for anything. All the best with your decisions. Oh, and I do not follow much social media not to have any comparison thoughts.:) Fellow Canadian blogger.

24 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Hey Olena, Thanks for sharing your experience! It sounds like you have a great approach with it all.

25 Jess June 7, 2016

YES. I can totally relate to so much of what you wrote today. My husband and I are constant dreamers and project makers and are always talking about what comes next. We opened a vegan restaurant up in Sudbury last year, I released my second cookbook in January, I have a blog that I don’t pay nearly as much attention to as I would like and all this with a 3.5 year old and number 2 on the way in September! Oh, and just to add more to our plates we’re opening up a vegan coffee shop & bakery in the next month or two! It’s a crazy crazy time for sure, but isn’t it so amazing to do what you love and not work for someone else?! (That’s what I keep reminding myself of when I start to panic, lol)

26 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Hey Jess, That’s so awesome! If I’m ever in your area I will have to pop in for sure. :) Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

27 Jess June 8, 2016

Thanks Angela, same to you with yours! And if you guys take a weekend roady north do be sure to drop me a line – would be lovely to say hello and sip some virgin margaritas on the patio together!

28 Katie June 7, 2016

Beautiful! Can’t wait to try!

29 Mia June 7, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this salad for lunch and it was delicious!!!!

30 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed it Mia! :)

31 Nicole W June 7, 2016

Pertaining to comparing how fast your career path is moving or how much you have accomplished…I heard a wonderful quote the other day.

“The only reason to look in your neighbour’s bowl is to make sure they have enough”

On a tiny scale, I use this now in my daycare when the children check each others’ dishes and say it’s not fair that one has a bit more than another. On a large scale, it can apply to comparing your career or accomplishments to those of others.

Waiting on accomplishing a dream or idea can be so challenging, especially with the thrill of a new idea flooding you with anticipation! Maybe a happy middle…not just maintaining your career, but not going for it all at once. Which ideas fit in best with having a newborn? A toddler and a newborn is a beautiful yet exhausting time….! If you map out all of your ideas on paper, you may find that some of them lend themselves to helping with others…hiring a small team or one person to maintain current projects would free you up to start a new one. He/she could then maintain that project as well which frees you up to start the next. You have full creative control and execution but the maintenance is handled by your staffer. As the projects grow, so could your staff. Just a thought!

32 Shannon Anderson June 7, 2016

Hi Angela!

I’ve been a long time reader of your blog, and though I’m not vegan, I make many of your recipes. Perhaps I will be one day because I feel awesome when I eat only plant-based food. I will have to convince my husband to try it also. Some of my favorites include your overnight oats (all flavors) and your Best Shredded Kale Salad. I think I have a new favorite though. This Avocado Strawberry Caprese Salad is yummy! I didn’t even have sesame seeds to put in it, and it was still delicious! I also felt great after eating. I’m embarking on a new fitness routine and this salad was a perfect end to my healthy day.

Only after I finished my supper did I read this post and couldn’t believe how similar I’m feeling recently. I just resigned from my teaching job to pursue writing full time. I’m excited to actually slow down and do only one job (writing) rather than two for a while. I admire all you’ve done with your blog and your cookbooks. Keep up the wonderful work you do. You’re making a huge difference in people’s lives. Thanks for the awesome recipes!!!

Shannon Anderson

33 Holly Gnaedinger June 7, 2016

Please be very careful with yourself as you expand your business and your family. I worked 24/7 for many years–loved what I did, had 2 businesses, young children and elderly parents needing care. Eventually I hit the wall and developed fibromyalgia, a very nasty disorder.
The lesson learned is that you can probably do everything, for a period of time, but there will be payback eventually. Get help, prioritize, stay well. and enjoy your life; I love your food.

34 Hairwonderfulday June 8, 2016

Looks delicious!!
Can I replace balsamic vinegar with apple cider, cant tolerate balsamic vinegar well.. :/ And what substitutes for strawberries you could suggest, I am allergic to them – used to have so many gut and digestion problems but recently found out about all my intolerances, especially yeast and allergy to strawberries and egg, at least now i am on the right path to get better! xxx

35 Angela Liddon June 9, 2016

Hi there, Do you mean what can you sub for the balsamic vinegar? I really don’t think there is a sub for that unfortunately as it’s a main component of the recipe. As for swapping out strawberries, I think you could have success with pitted fresh cherries or even blueberries!

36 Shalini Setty June 8, 2016

Just few hour ago i was thinking that, what should i prepare today for my kids. And if found your blog, now its look something which my child will love. Looking forward to try it.

37 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

I hope it’s a hit, Shalini!

38 Barbara Scott June 8, 2016

I love your blog posts, your recipes, and your app. Enjoy your energy and enthusiasm. my dear. I am 76 and realize that strength and/or imagination can fail as life goes on!

I love the recipes on the app but is it possible to add recipes from your blog to them?

And would it also be possible to have a search on the app so that One could key in ingredients and have the recipe pop up?

I can Google these things but it would be so much less cumbersome if ithese suggestions could be incorporated into the app.

Thanks you for all you give us. This recipes looks lovely. Will find some basil and try it soon!

39 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Hi Barbara, thanks so much for your lovely comment and kind words. It’s wonderful to hear you’re enjoying the app! I’m happy to let you know that I plan to keep adding recipes to it as time goes on, including even more classics from the blog (as well as exciting new dishes, too!). To search the app by key ingredient, just tap the little magnifying glass at the top of the app screen to access a search bar; from there, you can type in the ingredient you’d like to search by, and recipes using that ingredient will pop up! I hope this helps, and that if you give this salad a try, you absolutely love it. :)

40 Caroline June 8, 2016

I love this idea! Watermelon and strawberries are such great fruits to add in summer salads! Thanks for this, now I need to go buy some berries.

41 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

I totally agree, Caroline! :)

42 Megan June 8, 2016

This looks so incredible! I know it’s the morning but I would totally eat that salad right now! Haha! I love that you paired strawberries and avocado! My two favorite foods!!!

43 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

Haha, I say go for it! ;) I hope you love the salad if you get a chance to try it.

44 Elizabeth Patric June 8, 2016

The recipe looks great and I will try it! But what I wanted to comment on was Elizabeth’s Gilbert’s fantastically wonderful Big Magic. If nothing you’ve tried gets those creative juices flowing, or if you want overflowing creativity, read this book!!!!!!!

45 Angela Liddon June 8, 2016

I absolutely agree, Elizabeth! it’s such a wonderful and inspiring read.

46 Sharon June 8, 2016

I would agree with much of the advice noted above. Considering the ‘behind the scenes” picture of many successful people I know, if the career is skyrocketing then there is only so much time for just “being” with one’s family. As working parents, we can have it all, but in my experience, not all at once (because otherwise something’s got to give, and hopefully that something is made as a mindful choice rather than inadvertant collateral damage). And this isn’t a gender-specific constraint either: Men with soaring careers have similarly constrained time to be just be available to their families. It just comes down to whether you want to just “sample/taste” the “all” in your life, or “savour” each element more thoroughly. The thing with kids is that they’re just kids for a limited timeframe, so there’s a fixed window in which to savour their childhood, whereas career activities are things that can be scaled up at any point in one’s life. The other thing that surprised me is that the leap from 1 kid to 2 kids can rock your world a bit (feeling torn between two precious creatures) – so if you’re someone for whom doing things really well is really important, I guess the short answer is it’s easier to do fewer things well. Once they hit the teen years they need more space anyway, and that frees up more mental space and time. Good luck! And thanks for all that you share. Haven’t tried this recipe yet but I will.

47 Pia June 8, 2016

Angela :)
I absolutely loved reading about what has been on your mind lately, and I must say all those ideas sound fascinating (videos *wink*) and I cannot wait to see what your next move is going to be.
In saying that though, as inspirational as it is that you’re always working on moving forward in one way or another, cleverly escaping the dangers of stagnancy, I want to reassure you that it’s more than okay and sometimes even beneficial to slow down a little. After all, it’s not solely about the destination, but also -if not, even more so- about the journey. Which is exactly why going at a steadier speed or choosing the long way can turn out to be the better option, as it allows you to observe things you wouldn’t even have noticed or thought about otherwise.
Now, as always seems to be the case, I’m not quite sure if what I’m thinking and feeling, is actually what I am saying, but I do hope it makes sense to you and that you are able to grasp what I’m trying to say. Oh the joys of attempting to precisely put out what is inside.
Anyway, enough of my rambling, the last thing I would want is to rob you of valuable time. So hugs for now, and have a great Wednesday.
Oh and don’t forget: you’re pretty awesome no matter what!

48 AGS June 8, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Wonderful salad – thank you!

Your interest in new opportunities is wonderful. I never “slowed down” with any of my pregnancies. But I did make some pretty big decisions with pregnancy #3. I separated from my company at 20 weeks pregnant, started a new position 6 weeks before the due date, and returned to work 6 weeks after. I decided I wanted a job with zero travel (not even in the immediate area), and also with regular hours (40/week). I also transitioned out of some other industry leadership positions (I held a couple Chair/board positions). This took some effort, but was very healthy for me and my family. Once I had gotten out of most of my formal obligations, though I still did speaking at conferences, attended some events at invitation, I changed my focus to helping other folks who were working on various start-ups. I wanted to help folks out with cool ideas. I’m working with my second entrepreneur now. I give advice, help with contacts, lots of encouragement, and sometimes practical aspects related to investment, price point, etc. The good news is I can work this to my own schedule. This has been a different orientation, but one I’ve enjoyed for the last year. Investing in others is rewarding, exciting, and gives me a chance to learn about different aspects of my field. Next year, I’m going to look into anything else I’d like to do, but am taking it slow. It’s very easy to pile on one good idea/commitment after another, and so lose sight of what you really are trying to do in your life. Perhaps asking yourself what you are trying to do these next couple years – at core, not just in terms of projects – will help you focus on a theme. This will help you stay anchored as new opportunities come along, and take the sting out of saying no, if/when that happens. Good luck!

49 Karen June 8, 2016

Just wanted to pop-in to say how much I love that quote by Elizabeth Gilbert…she’s a favorite ’round here. And I love reading your always thoughtful, sometimes amusing/sometimes inspriring free-form narratives. Oh, and your ambition is something to behold! (I vote for the idea of opening a vegan restaurant in the US, the Chicagoland area to be exact;) Take good care, Ange!

50 Michelle @thedogtribe June 8, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Thank you for sharing that quote! It was so moving and on a lighter note- that recipe looks delicious and perfect for summer!

51 Caroll June 9, 2016

Your photos are breathtaking . And the dish looks really tasty :)

52 Angela Liddon June 9, 2016

Thanks for the kind words, Caroll! If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it.

53 Wendi June 9, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this for my lunch today and it was A-MAZING! I couldn’t find any basil at my local grocery store, so I threw in some fresh mint instead. It was delicious and really refreshing. Thank you for the inspiration!

54 Angela Liddon June 9, 2016

Mint sounds like a delicious twist, Wendi! I’m going to have to try that soon. :)

55 ChristineinMass June 9, 2016

Hi Angela,

You do not need to respond to this, since I don’t want to make you any busier than you already are with all on your plate! I just want to weigh in and say that it is great that you and your husband are so ambitious, yet realistic about time and family commitments.

Your blog and app is such a huge success and brings so much to people’s lives. I’m not kidding when I tell you that it has changed my life, (and that’s coming from a cranky Bostonian). I think if I were you, I would really double down and keep working on the blog and app and recipes. Your photography is gorgeous, and I love that you have older posts explaining what you do to jazz up photos. I have never had vegan food that tastes as delicious as yours. (To be fair, I don’t frequent too many vegan blogs, though i do love a few of the Engine 2 recipes.)

While I’m dispensing unsolicited advice, I’ll add something else. My children are 15, 13, and 9, and while I feel like like is a million times easier than when they were little, there are far more schedule restraints. Once your kids are in “the system” of school and organized sports – or music or whatever, and they have friends and social obligations, your time demands are pretty significant. I say this because I always thought that things would get easier when my kids got older, and they have in some ways, but in some ways they have gotten harder. It’s just something to keep in mind when you’re doing any kind of long range planning.

Thanks and keep up your amazing work!

Christine

56 Anne June 9, 2016

The advice about not starting something in your second trimester you will regret in your third is great advice, I think.

Having said that… PLEASE PLEASE start a meal plan service. OMG I would love that! I have been looking into meal planning services – working outside the home + daycare + early dinner time is not working well if I don’t have dinners prepped and ready to go – but the recipes aren’t all that appealing. A meal planning service from YOU? Yes yes yes!

57 Sarah June 9, 2016

Thanks for sharing the recipe and the book. I’m going to look into it for sure. Thank you for being so open with your struggles you are facing to tackle some new projects. I know it might be difficult to be on maintenance mode when you are in creative overload. It isn’t a race but I think it’s more important that you do what feels right to you. If having a small team lets you focus on what you are really good at and others take care of the rest than that can’t be a bad thing.

58 Vegans Rising June 9, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I just made this without the extraneous fats, so no oil and it was great!

It was just fine that way.

Thanks a ton!

59 Angela Liddon June 10, 2016

I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

60 Lili June 10, 2016

What I love about your ‘brand’ is that although it grows, your older material is always relevant. Some recipes (like mac ‘in cheeze) are part of my routine, but others (like strawberry spelt cookies) are something that I look forward to making each strawberry season. I don’t feel like I need to see new content all the time for you to keep me as a loyal fan. You’ve given me a solid foundation of recipes and information to draw on, and anything new a wonderful surprise (loving the app!). That said, I will be buying the new cookbook the day it launches.

61 Angela Liddon June 10, 2016

Thanks so much for your lovely words and support Lili! It’s wonderful to hear you’re enjoying the app, and I hope you absolutely love the new cookbook when it’s launched. I’m really proud of it, and can hardly wait to share it with everyone!

62 Cecily June 11, 2016

Wow this looks delicious!! I wanted to ask what do you use to type up your recipe in that format? To get the ingredient section and title etc? <3

63 Christine June 11, 2016

I miss your glo bars! 😻

64 Leslie June 12, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this for a bbq yesterday and it was so delicious, everyone enjoyed! This will be my go to summer salad….quick to make and a real stand out! Yum!

65 Angela Liddon June 13, 2016

So glad it was a hit, Leslie! :)

66 Hollie June 13, 2016

Love this recipe! I’m going to try it.
@BlueBarnKitchen

67 Sara June 14, 2016

Angela,

I wanted to write you to say that I have been following the recipes on your blog for the past few months though I’m not vegan. I appreciate the healthy, wholesome approach to living and eating well. It wasn’t until recently, however, when I was given news that my current education program where I work is being terminated while I am in my second trimester pregnant with my first child that I have really been eagerly paying attention to your life/career posts. They are giving me so much inspiration and courage to think beyond what I thought was my career. So often I have found I have limited myself and your creative spirit, balance, and focus on what’s important (family, compassion, courage, etc) is truly helpful to learn about. I often wonder “how do people do that? how do you just start something from scratch?” followed quickly by “I could never do that!” I’m starting to believe I can – and starting small is enough.The rest may fall into place. Thank you for writing and for the great recipes!

Also, I made the “Lighten Up Summer Granola” by the way this weekend. It is some form of natural crack. So good I made another batch last night and sent to my dad for father’s day.

68 Connie June 15, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Loved this salad; I skipped the sesame seeds/pecans, but I will definitely do that next time, just to take it to the next level.

I turned down a promotion when my twins were about a year old; I agonized, but in the end, just felt that the extra money wouldn’t balance out the additional ‘pull’ on me – I wanted to be fully present for the kids. Now I’m ready and just interviewed for a spot, so we’ll see… No right or wrong answer, but it sure sounds from all the comments that you’re not alone in the agonizing! And it’s the fact that you care so very much that will ensure your kids know they’re very much loved – regardless of your choices!

69 Ren June 16, 2016
Recipe Rating:

This salad is simply amazing!. I followed the recipe exactly using toasted pecans. If I did stray at all it was with the tomatoes. I used a variety of heirloom cherry tomatoes. I would suggest drizzling a little of the reduced balsamic on the salad and then serving it with the rest of the balsamic on the side for people to add if they wish. It seemed a little heavy on the balsamic, but that’s just me! Perfect summer side salad.

70 Angela Liddon June 17, 2016

So glad you enjoyed it Ren! And great idea about the balsamic on the side–amount of dressing can definitely be a personal taste, thing!! :)

71 MeCooks June 17, 2016

Great recipe, I need to try it in the future :-)

72 Mara June 20, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this. Ate both servings. Will make again tomorrow; and the day after; and the day after that; and…

73 Angela Liddon June 20, 2016

Hahaha! Sounds like a great plan, Mara ;)

74 Diane June 23, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Made this tonight and it was excellent!! Did the version with the pecans. Perfect for summer. My husband loved it as well. Definitely a keeper! Thank you!

75 Angela Liddon June 24, 2016

It’s so great to hear you and the husband enjoyed the recipe, Diane! You’re right, it’s so summery–I can’t get enough of it!

76 Lynn Camacho June 26, 2016

Hi Angela,
I stumbled upon your website today while looking for a recipe for kale chips. Needless to say, the chips came out perfectly crispy and wonderful, but I think I added too much cayenne pepper because they are too spicy for me! That being said, I will try some other toppings, but I am so excited that your recipe worked so well. I am looking forward to trying others. Everything looks amazing!

Lynn

77 Angela Liddon June 27, 2016

Hi Lynn, It’s wonderful to hear that the kale chips recipe turned out well for you (if a bit too spicy! haha). Enjoy experimenting with the seasonings, and thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a lovely comment!

78 Andy July 19, 2016

Wow! This looks too gorgeous to eat! This is my first time on OSG and I’m finding such a wealth of simple and healthy recipes in here! I’ll be sure to bookmark this site for future use. :)

79 Angela Liddon July 20, 2016

Hi, Andy! I hope you love whatever recipe you decide to try first. :)

80 susan August 7, 2016
Recipe Rating:

Fabulous salad! Enjoyed it a few times. Now that strawberries are no longer local, am looking for a substitute.

81 Nancy Smith August 9, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I made this for lunch today and it was so amazing! I knew it would be when I saw the ingredients. This will be my new favorite salad. I only made one change. I added a handful of kale which I massaged with sea salt, balsamic vinegar and olive oil until it was softened. I then followed the rest of the recipe as is using fresh basil from my garden. YUM!. I think it was the best salad I’ve ever eaten. Thank you!

82 Angela Liddon August 10, 2016

So glad you enjoyed the salad, Nancy! Kale sounds like a great addition – I’ll have to try it myself!:)

83 Debby - The Window Cleaner September 19, 2016
Recipe Rating:

I’ve recently discovered your blog, and I can happily say that this is the best cooking blog I’ve ever read. I’ve tried many of your recipes and my family knows your name very well now. I think I’m speaking from everybody’s name who doesn’t have the imagination for creating an outstanding recipe – A BIG THANK YOU!

84 Angela Liddon September 19, 2016

Aw, thanks so much for the heartfelt comment, Debby!! :)

85 Megan Paterson September 22, 2016

It would be amazing if whenever you posted a recipe, that you could include suggestions to serve with it. They could be links to other recipe of yours perhaps. It would just make that much easier when trying to prepare a menu plan for my week. And I am sure other people would like that as well. I really hope you consider this. Thanks for being so awesome!!

86 Angela Liddon September 23, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, Megan! I’ll definitely keep that idea in mind for future posts. :) If there’s every any recipe in particular you’re wondering about accompaniments for, please feel free to ask, too, and I’ll do my best to answer. (Plus, questions like that are especially great for including in Friday FAQs!)