A Simple Valentine’s Day Menu (Vegan + Gluten-free)

I’ve always thought that I didn’t need a special day to show loved ones I care, but I have to admit since having a baby, I now see the value in having a special day carved out. It’s just too easy to get wrapped up in the day to day crazy. Plus, I kind of feel like a hormonal jerk lately since December 2013 so a reminder not to be a hormonal jerk is always appreciated.

The other day Eric and I came up with a plan that celebrates our first Valentine’s Day as a family of three. First, a pancake breakfast in the morning, then a small gift opening and an outing with Adriana during the day (please warm up weather forecast!), and after she’s gone to bed (7pm bedtimes rule) we’ll make dinner together, turn on some music, and make a fire (ok, flip the switch to turn on the gas fireplace). I think it’s going to be really nice. I’m also hoping to make it past 10pm!

Here’s what we decided for the menu. The bonus is that each course only requires a small handful of ingredients so it’s a breeze to shop for and throw together.

// Appetizer //

Roasted Beet Salad with Hazelnuts, Thyme, and Balsamic Reduction (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, page 113).

065A5339LORES

// Main //

15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta

065A5682LORES

// Dessert //

Raw Chocolate Pudding

Tip – I’m making this first so it can chill in the fridge while we cook dinner. Here are other V-day dessert ideas.

veganchocolatemousse-5322

So there you have it. Simple, healthy, delicious.

Are you making anything fun this weekend?

P.S. I’m hosting a Vitamix Giveaway on Instagram!

Page 2 of 2«12
Georgia January 19, 2016

This menu looks absolutely delicious! The colours are so gorgeous, and will make the food and the atmosphere even more romantic! And it all looks so healthy as well. fantastic ideas!

Elisa Hernandez June 15, 2015

I really wish I had seen this recipe before Valentines Day, but at least I know what i’m making for next years :)

Esbet March 11, 2015

Dear Angela, I love your recipes, I want to try every one but that is a challenge for me since I live in Turkey and the veganingredients are mostly hard to find here. Here is something I tried with beets; slice them really thin after peeling and pour some olive oil and balsamic or sour promegranate syrup on. Leave them in the fridge for a day. A raw vegan alternative and I call it vegan carpaccio:) Thanks for the site and wonderfull recipes. It is very inspirational.

Eveline March 3, 2015

This looks delicious and your pics are beautiful!

steve lassoff March 2, 2015

The Raw Chocolate pudding looks so good, will have to make it.
Steve

Javonte March 1, 2015

I eat pretty much like this six days a week and the seventh day my lunch is a cheat meal to eat whatever I want. I also drink a gallon of water throughout the day and take both a multi-vitamin and fish oil. I followed also this http://wp.me/p5NIsT-14/ which is designed to do just that. Yeah, I done it. I love it when people that I haven’t seen for ages, don’t even recognize me.

Rebecca February 27, 2015

I have your cook book and I’m obsessed with it. I love everything about it! Thank you for the inspiration

x

Charlotte February 26, 2015

That beetroot salad looks so simple but amazing!!

itstartswithsomething.wordpress.com/

Suzanne February 25, 2015

Great menu – hope it was a lovely night for you…

This post was a great reminder that I have been wanting to try your beets for awhile . I made them and added a touch of maple syrup to the reduction – WOW – soooo tasty! I had no idea beets were so delicious and am so excited to have a wonderful addition to my diet :) Thanks so much for that!

Beth Rapp February 25, 2015

Hubby and I made your fudgy mocha pudding cake for Vday dessert. Made it with carob powder and carob chips…OMG! BEST dessert in the history of the universe!! Thank you!

Also, thank you for responding on your last post. I dropped caffeine and it took one week, but I am definitely seeing the results. I think it makes my skin look better too! Vegan and caffeine free…look out world!! ;)

Jennifer {Peppers and Peaches} February 25, 2015

Angela, I think this post is fabulous! I love the food (obviously) but I thought your take on Valentine’s Day in itself was thought provoking. I do not celebrate V-Day at all. However, I am at a point in my life where going out on a date is not so far from my mind. Later on in life, when my fiancé has become my husband and we live through different moments, maybe Valentine’s Day will be a time to slow down and cherish the moment. You really got me thinking on this one ;)

Vegetarians Always Win February 23, 2015

I LOVE the whole menu. I think the avocado pasta would be my fav! Definetly have to try it out!

PEACE

Jeni February 23, 2015

The beet salad looks absolutely divine! I have got to try it!

Roy Hansen February 22, 2015

I love these so much, and am becoming quite the family chef now. We’ve all switched to greener living and it’ s really showed. Not so sure my kids will go for roasted beets but the rest is a sure win. Thanks again.

Lotta-VeggieTown February 22, 2015

Great menu, everything looks so delicious. I want a spoon of that chocolate pudding right now!

RawFruitBasedLiving February 21, 2015

That chocolate pudding looks scrumptious!

rachel February 21, 2015

I just made the pudding and pasta for my kids (3 years old and 15 months) for dinner tonight and they LOVED it! They gobbled it ALL up!! I was so surprised. My 3 year old daughter was even able to help me make the chocolate pudding by helping me put all the ingredients into the blender- she was so proud of her creation!! Thanks for much for sharing a delicious, healthy and kid-friendly meal! :) (side note: I have made this pudding at least 3 times this week and often indulge in this “guilty” pleasure for breakfast. My 38 week pregnant body thanks me every time I put this pudding into my mouth!!!) THANK YOU- Keep up your amazing work!!!

Gia February 20, 2015

Sadly, my beet salad attempt was just a big too earthy tasting for my liking. But adore your recipes, Angela…any chance that you could include nutritional info and serving sizes? This would be a huge help for those of us who need to practice a bit of a stricter nutritional plan as we recover from disordered eating. Your story, life, and recipes are life giving & inspiring!❤️❤️❤️

Ashley February 20, 2015

Your Valentine’s Day sounded so so sweet! Hope you and Eric had a great time!
The menu looks delicious and perfect

Sam A February 19, 2015

Hi, I recently nominated your blog for a food Award! I would love for you to participate because I am a big fan of your blog! Here is the link: http://cruisinandcuisine.blogspot.com/2015/02/food-holic-award.html