A Simple Valentine’s Day Menu (Vegan + Gluten-free)

I’ve always thought that I didn’t need a special day to show loved ones I care, but I have to admit since having a baby, I now see the value in having a special day carved out. It’s just too easy to get wrapped up in the day to day crazy. Plus, I kind of feel like a hormonal jerk lately since December 2013 so a reminder not to be a hormonal jerk is always appreciated.

The other day Eric and I came up with a plan that celebrates our first Valentine’s Day as a family of three. First, a pancake breakfast in the morning, then a small gift opening and an outing with Adriana during the day (please warm up weather forecast!), and after she’s gone to bed (7pm bedtimes rule) we’ll make dinner together, turn on some music, and make a fire (ok, flip the switch to turn on the gas fireplace). I think it’s going to be really nice. I’m also hoping to make it past 10pm!

Here’s what we decided for the menu. The bonus is that each course only requires a small handful of ingredients so it’s a breeze to shop for and throw together.

// Appetizer //

Roasted Beet Salad with Hazelnuts, Thyme, and Balsamic Reduction (from The Oh She Glows Cookbook, page 113).

065A5339LORES

// Main //

15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta

065A5682LORES

// Dessert //

Raw Chocolate Pudding

Tip – I’m making this first so it can chill in the fridge while we cook dinner. Here are other V-day dessert ideas.

veganchocolatemousse-5322

So there you have it. Simple, healthy, delicious.

Are you making anything fun this weekend?

P.S. I’m hosting a Vitamix Giveaway on Instagram!

1 Wendy Woods :: Personal Style Coach February 13, 2015

Love this menu! I feel the same way about needing a reminder to spend time with husband. Having a kid changes that for sure! I’ve actually booked a sleepover for my daughter at her uncle’s place so my hubbie and I can spend an evening alone at our place. It will be nice to have some quiet chat time. I’m really looking forward to it!

2 Laura @ RYG February 16, 2015

Wendy I am envious. My five and three year old have not slept over at someone house yet. Maybe when they get a little older grandma and grandma will be more willing.

Angela, I love the simplicity of this menu.

3 Wendy Woods :: Personal Style Coach February 16, 2015

I do feel extremely grateful for family members who are closet by and willing/able to take our little one overnight. We are so so fortunate in that way.

4 Char February 13, 2015

Can I still pretend it’s hormones 2 years later?? haha. We probably won’t do a whole lot. I wouldn’t mind if the husband cooked for me for once. That would make me a believer in V-day for once haha! I love your simplistic menu. I seriously just want something containing chocolate…and then I’m sold!

5 Ashlee February 13, 2015

That beet and hazelnut salad looks killer! I can’t wait to make red foods tomorrow : ) So far I’ve got strawberry cashew cookie bites and roasted red pepper sauce over pasta.

6 Millie l Add A Little February 13, 2015

Looks so awesome and the beet salad is the perfect colour!

7 Cassandra February 13, 2015

I’m not a mom yet, but that all sounds very optimistic for someone with a 4-month old. Best of luck to ya!

8 Angela February 13, 2015

hah yes it is!

9 Erin @ Erin's Inside Job February 13, 2015

Sounds great! My husband and I don’t really do anything for Valentines Day. I think spending a lot of quality time is accomplished a couple nights a week by either making dinner together or watching movies. It sounds like you have a great night planned out and I hope you’re able to stay awake!!

10 Andrea @ The Healthy Secret Identity February 13, 2015

Great combo!! Happy Valentine’s Day!!

11 Kristina February 13, 2015

Beautiful simple menu and what a great idea, because you are right: after adding a small member to the family it is not at all bad with a special day to celebrate love! We never celebrate Valentines Day, but I think I will suggest that we do the same in our small house… especially since yet another small member is due to arrive in less than three months! Here’s hoping Adriana treats you to a quiet night :)

/Kristina from Sweden.

12 Jessica @ TwoGreenPeas February 13, 2015

I had my sister over for dinner last night and we made the 15-min avocado pasta and loved it; I had forgotten how amazing that recipe is!

13 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! February 13, 2015

This menu looks AWESOME! Especially the avocado pasta! I’ve made that before and loved it. Perfect, simple meal for a cozy night in!

14 Chelsea February 13, 2015

yum! That all sounds so good- I have a real love for beets and I am definitely going to attempt the raw pudding. Hope it’s a beautiful holiday for you!!

15 Amanda February 13, 2015

Looks so easy and yummy, I need to try that roasted beet salad! I’m also adding my raw vegan chocolates to the menu!

16 Debbie February 13, 2015

It sounds like you have a wonderful day planned Angela. Your menu sounds like it is not too fussy, but at the same time comforting and delicious! I just made a few of your recipes and love them.Both the Soul-Soothing African Peanut Stew and your 10-Spice Vegetable soup were awesome! Today I made your Crunchy Seed and Oat Flatbread. It is really good! I especially loved it toasted with organic peanut butter and jam. Yum–great snack in the afternoon or evening. My adult son even enjoyed it. Wishing you all a fun and relaxing day tomorrow! Happy Valentines’s Day!

17 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 13, 2015

The beets in this menu are definitely speaking to me, Ange! I hope you and your gorgeous little family have a lovely Valentine’s Day tomorrow. I’m planning to spend some time playing in the kitchen too, but I’m not 100% sure yet what I’m creating – we’ll see. I did just post some mocha mint banana ice cream and since it’s Valentine’s Day AND the long weekend, I figure a bit of that might be in order! :)

18 Anna February 14, 2015

Ohh I love this!! I’m going to try it at home <3<3 Happpy valentine's

19 Sarah February 14, 2015

I made your stuffed shells and caesar salad. My sister’s boyfriend was very impressed! Actually, whenever I make your recipes people are VERY impressed. I have never commented, but have followed you blog for years. Whenever I hear people are trying to “eat clean” and eat more plant based foods I refer them here. We bought my boyfriend’s parents your cookbook after his dad had a heart attack. They were open to making changes in their diet so we wanted to give them the tools to make food that didn’t feel like they were missing anything. They love it! They make your 10 spice soup, tex mex casserole, and tomato sauce all the time.

So, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, know that you not only share delicious recipes to eat with loved ones, but you also help keep the hearts of my loved ones healthy so they are around for the years to come:)

20 Suzanne February 14, 2015

Happy Valentine’s Day Angela! Sounds like an amazing dinner and a wonderful family day :)
I just made heart shaped pancakes for my guys and am making your chili for a winter potluck we are going to tonight….with these temps – it will be perfect!
Enjoy your day and wishing you a peacefully sleeping baby so you and Eric can have some couple time!

21 Anna Lee February 14, 2015

I’m sure you two (or three!) will have a wonderful time. Simple, yet still a very sweet way to celebrate the day. (: And those pancakes, they are calling my name! I may have to make them for dinner hah.

22 Annaliese February 14, 2015

It’s always nice to celebrate a little love in the dead of winter! And eat lots of chocolate….I used your pink power detox smoothie for some inspiration with a festive magenta beet-cherry smoothie! Still loving your book, and all the wonderful recipes!

23 Diane Corriette February 14, 2015

Simple and yet tasty. How lovely. Really enjoying the recipes on your site.

24 Annie February 14, 2015

Your post inspired me to pick up some beets at the store today for later in the weekend. Can’t wait to try the recipe. On the menu for me and my family tonight: flatbread pizza, your Caesar salad (it is soooooo good) and your toffee cinnamon bars which are baking in the oven as I type. I am so grateful for all of the wonderful recipes. They just keep coming and I really appreciate it. ( I also picked up ingredients for the happy digestion smoothie. Just have to wait for the avocado to ripen AND turmeric root to try in tea.) Really, I can’t thank you enough for so many fantastic recipes! Happy Valentine’s Day. Hope it’s filled with much love and good food!

25 sara February 14, 2015

Amazing, especially that dessert!! :)

26 Alexa [fooduzzi.com] February 14, 2015

Yum! This line-up looks great. I am obsessed with beets this time of year – I must get out your cookbook at once!
Have a wonderful Valentine’s Day as a family of three!

27 Sally | The Fit Foodie February 15, 2015

This is such an amazing menu – Would love this for the other 364 days of the year for me and Mr Fit Foodie. A sure-fire way to a mans heart. Thank you!

28 ChloeBro February 15, 2015

Wow – stunning. The chocolate pudding looks to die for!

29 Maggie @ Veg Fiend February 15, 2015

What a romantic day with your loved ones! I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. I still need to try that easy beet appetizer from your book! I have it bookmarked, but never have hazelnuts on hand.

30 bex February 16, 2015

I haven’t made these recipes from your book yet, but I did make your Taco Fiesta Potato Crisps from your cookbook last week again. That is one of the best recipes I have ever had. The first time I made them everyone had already eaten dinner but they still couldn’t stop eating the potatoes. You really hit the ball out of the park with that one! :)

31 Matea February 16, 2015

Avocado pasta sounds delicious!!

32 Gia February 16, 2015

Angela…I adore you for sharing your life-affirming recipes. I recently discovered you & am ecstatic to think that delicious meals which speak to life & optimal vitality are now at my finger tips. Ive been cooking and baking your recipes daily!
As the french say “Continuons!” ❤️❤️❤️

33 Nicole {VeganShowOff.com} February 16, 2015

I just tried your avocado pasta last week and it was amazing! Hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day!

34 Cara February 16, 2015

Angela, all-knowing one … I’m off-topic as usual–can we talk about stir-frying tofu? I took your advice in the cookbook and bought a tofu press–LOVE IT! But I still can’t get my tofu to brown nicely on all sides, let alone not stick to the pan, no matter how much oil I use—and every cookbook insists I only need a tablespoon. Give me wisdom! Please! :-)

35 kirsten burnett February 17, 2015

these are some pretty good recipe ideas. i am definatly going to have to try these out as well

36 Catherine February 17, 2015

A very eye appealing and delicious meal.

37 Sarah February 17, 2015

Hi angela,

Beets for valentines day is perfect!

I made a chocolate beet cake and it was DIVINE! It didn’t even need frosting it was so moist and yummy (ok maybe a melted a couple chocolate chips on top). However it wasn’t vegan…the recipe called for some eggs.

Here’s the recipe! Maybe you could play around and find out a way to make it vegan friendly?

38 Jessica @ kiwiyogirunner February 17, 2015

That looks so delicious, sounds like a lovely evening :)

39 Vegan Junction February 18, 2015

Love the beets. They’re always such a rich and wonderful colour!

40 Kaylie February 18, 2015

Angela, have you tried using essential oils for post partum hormone regulation? I emailed you a document that has a lot of info on which oils to use. I use Young Living oils and they are pure, therapeutic-grade, and I’ve experienced a lot of success with them. You can check out how to get them here if you’re interested: http://yl.pe/4nk

41 Sara @ saralouyoga February 19, 2015

mmm this looks delicious! I’ve been on a beet and avocado kick lately too so this should fit nicely :)

42 Kate February 19, 2015

Oh man, just saw this today but I am definitely making it this weekend! Who needs Valentine’s day?!

43 larisa February 19, 2015

It’s so funny that you say that about valentines day being special with a little one. I wrote the exact same thing to my husband in his valentine’s day card this year. You NEED a single day to remember your love and remember how you got this little one and appreciate your time together/ to not be a ‘hormonal jerk’ (lol). I was so grateful for vday this year! it’s so easy to be caught up in the nap times, feeding times, bedtimes, bath times, play times, and cuddle times that come with the most amazing chapter of your life.

Glad this v-day was so special for you and thanks for the recipes!

44 Sam A February 19, 2015

Hi, I recently nominated your blog for a food Award! I would love for you to participate because I am a big fan of your blog! Here is the link: http://cruisinandcuisine.blogspot.com/2015/02/food-holic-award.html

45 Ashley February 20, 2015

Your Valentine’s Day sounded so so sweet! Hope you and Eric had a great time!
The menu looks delicious and perfect

46 Gia February 20, 2015

Sadly, my beet salad attempt was just a big too earthy tasting for my liking. But adore your recipes, Angela…any chance that you could include nutritional info and serving sizes? This would be a huge help for those of us who need to practice a bit of a stricter nutritional plan as we recover from disordered eating. Your story, life, and recipes are life giving & inspiring!❤️❤️❤️

47 rachel February 21, 2015

I just made the pudding and pasta for my kids (3 years old and 15 months) for dinner tonight and they LOVED it! They gobbled it ALL up!! I was so surprised. My 3 year old daughter was even able to help me make the chocolate pudding by helping me put all the ingredients into the blender- she was so proud of her creation!! Thanks for much for sharing a delicious, healthy and kid-friendly meal! :) (side note: I have made this pudding at least 3 times this week and often indulge in this “guilty” pleasure for breakfast. My 38 week pregnant body thanks me every time I put this pudding into my mouth!!!) THANK YOU- Keep up your amazing work!!!

48 RawFruitBasedLiving February 21, 2015

That chocolate pudding looks scrumptious!

49 Lotta-VeggieTown February 22, 2015

Great menu, everything looks so delicious. I want a spoon of that chocolate pudding right now!

50 Roy Hansen February 22, 2015

I love these so much, and am becoming quite the family chef now. We’ve all switched to greener living and it’ s really showed. Not so sure my kids will go for roasted beets but the rest is a sure win. Thanks again.

51 Jeni February 23, 2015

The beet salad looks absolutely divine! I have got to try it!

52 Vegetarians Always Win February 23, 2015

I LOVE the whole menu. I think the avocado pasta would be my fav! Definetly have to try it out!

PEACE

53 Jennifer {Peppers and Peaches} February 25, 2015

Angela, I think this post is fabulous! I love the food (obviously) but I thought your take on Valentine’s Day in itself was thought provoking. I do not celebrate V-Day at all. However, I am at a point in my life where going out on a date is not so far from my mind. Later on in life, when my fiancé has become my husband and we live through different moments, maybe Valentine’s Day will be a time to slow down and cherish the moment. You really got me thinking on this one ;)

54 Beth Rapp February 25, 2015

Hubby and I made your fudgy mocha pudding cake for Vday dessert. Made it with carob powder and carob chips…OMG! BEST dessert in the history of the universe!! Thank you!

Also, thank you for responding on your last post. I dropped caffeine and it took one week, but I am definitely seeing the results. I think it makes my skin look better too! Vegan and caffeine free…look out world!! ;)

55 Suzanne February 25, 2015

Great menu – hope it was a lovely night for you…

This post was a great reminder that I have been wanting to try your beets for awhile . I made them and added a touch of maple syrup to the reduction – WOW – soooo tasty! I had no idea beets were so delicious and am so excited to have a wonderful addition to my diet :) Thanks so much for that!

56 Charlotte February 26, 2015

That beetroot salad looks so simple but amazing!!

itstartswithsomething.wordpress.com/

57 Rebecca February 27, 2015

I have your cook book and I’m obsessed with it. I love everything about it! Thank you for the inspiration

x

58 Javonte March 1, 2015

I eat pretty much like this six days a week and the seventh day my lunch is a cheat meal to eat whatever I want. I also drink a gallon of water throughout the day and take both a multi-vitamin and fish oil. I followed also this http://wp.me/p5NIsT-14/ which is designed to do just that. Yeah, I done it. I love it when people that I haven’t seen for ages, don’t even recognize me.

59 steve lassoff March 2, 2015

The Raw Chocolate pudding looks so good, will have to make it.
Steve

60 Eveline March 3, 2015

This looks delicious and your pics are beautiful!

61 Esbet March 11, 2015

Dear Angela, I love your recipes, I want to try every one but that is a challenge for me since I live in Turkey and the veganingredients are mostly hard to find here. Here is something I tried with beets; slice them really thin after peeling and pour some olive oil and balsamic or sour promegranate syrup on. Leave them in the fridge for a day. A raw vegan alternative and I call it vegan carpaccio:) Thanks for the site and wonderfull recipes. It is very inspirational.

62 Elisa Hernandez June 15, 2015

I really wish I had seen this recipe before Valentines Day, but at least I know what i’m making for next years :)

63 Georgia January 19, 2016

This menu looks absolutely delicious! The colours are so gorgeous, and will make the food and the atmosphere even more romantic! And it all looks so healthy as well. fantastic ideas!