Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls with Cranberry-Pear Sauce

lentilwalnutmeatballscranberrysaucevegan-3017

This was supposed to be today’s post:

Processed with VSCOcam

The pie had other plans.

Easy as pie?

I really wanted to be mad when I opened the oven door, but I couldn’t stop laughing. Yesterday, was one of those days and I wasn’t surprised in the least. Why wouldn’t the pie explode?

piefail-2921

Murphy’s Law – when you forget to put oven liners in a new oven, the sticky pie will erupt like a volcano! Luckily, it came off easily after the sugars cooled. I used the oven scraper tool like a champ. As for the pie dish, I think it will need to soak in acid for 6 years. No big deal.

Obviously, I had to Instagram this pie fail. If there’s one thing I know, it’s that other people love to laugh at fails on the internet. I know I do. Speaking of which, I clicked on the #piefail hashtag and laughed so hard I almost cried. Did you know pumpkin and apple pies can explode? I’m really happy to contribute to the collection. I’ll be checking in with it throughout pie season!

Anyway, tomorrow we leave on a much appreciated getaway and I really didn’t want to end on an epic pie fail, so I was up late last night and at it again all morning and afternoon until I nailed this lentil mushroom ball recipe. Who needs pie when you have this festive dish?

lentilwalnutmeatballscranberrysaucevegan-3034

veganlentilballs

These lentil balls couldn’t be more festive. They are packed with green lentils, cremini mushrooms, toasted walnuts, dried cranberries, rosemary, oregano, thyme, and kale! Oh MY.

veganlentilballs

Oh, and a tablespoon of sherry vinegar takes it over the top on the delicious scale. If you haven’t cooked with sherry vinegar before, I beg you to try some! It goes so well with anything mushroom. BFFs forever.

lentilwalnutmeatballscranberrysaucevegan-2935

I thought a fresh cranberry + pear sauce would go nicely too. The light sweetness of the sauce is a lovely compliment to the earthiness of the lentil mushroom balls. If cranberry sauce isn’t your thing, I suggest pairing it with my mushroom gravy. I haven’t tried this pairing yet, but I suspect it would be a nice option! Now all we need is a little holiday music pumping from the speakers and some Home Alone on the TV…

lentilwalnutmeatballscranberrysaucevegan-3027

Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls with Cranberry-Pear Sauce

Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free

By

4.7 from 23 reviews

These lentil mushroom balls are festive, filling, and a great vegan protein option for your holiday feast! I paired it with a lightly sweet cranberry-pear sauce, but if you aren't a cranberry fan my vegan gravy would be a nice option too. You can most likely prepare the lentil balls in advance. Just shape the balls and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for no longer than 12-24 hours, bring to room temperature, and then bake as usual (of course, remove plastic wrap first). The cranberry sauce can be made a couple days in advance as well. I don't suggest skipping the sherry vinegar; it really makes this lentil mixture come to life and it pairs so well with the mushrooms. Lastly, it's important to (very) finely chop all the vegetables and walnuts so everything sticks together.

Yield
13-14 balls
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

for the lentil balls:
  • 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils
  • 1 cup walnuts halves, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 heaping cups finely chopped cremini mushrooms (one 8-oz package)
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup finely chopped destemmed kale leaves
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (or 1/4 tsp dried)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax + 3 tablespoons water
  • 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats, ground into a coarse flour
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
for the cranberry sauce:
  • 2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
  • 1 ripe pear, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • small pinch fine grain sea salt

Directions:

1. Add lentils into a medium pot along with 2 and 1/4 cups water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered, adding more water if the lentils dry out. Once the lentils are fork tender, remove from heat and mash with a potato masher until it's a coarse paste with some lentil pieces still intact. Set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 325F. Toast the chopped walnuts for 9-12 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. After toasting, increase oven temp to 350F.
  3. In a very large skillet or wok, add the oil along with the finely chopped mushrooms and garlic. Season with salt. Saute over medium-high heat for about 7-9 minutes, until most of the water cooks off. Now add the kale, toasted walnuts, cranberries, herbs, and sherry vinegar. Stir until combined and continue cooking for another few minutes until the kale is wilted. Remove from heat and stir in the mashed lentils when ready.
  4. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax and water. Stir for 10 seconds and then immediately pour into the skillet mixture. Stir to combine. Now stir in the 1/2 cup oat flour until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. The mixture should be fairly moist and sticky. If it's way too sticky, add a bit more oat flour. If it's dry, add another tbsp of water.
  5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Shape lentil mixture into balls and pack tightly with your hands so they hold together. Place on baking sheet an inch or so apart. Repeat for the rest. If the mixture is too hot to handle, let it cool for a bit first and then proceed.
  6. Bake the lentil balls at 350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, gently flip over, and bake for another 11-13 minutes, until golden and firm on the exterior.
  7. For the sauce: Add the cranberries, pear, and maple syrup into a medium pot. Bring to a low boil over high heat and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, for 10-20 minutes until thickened. Use a potato masher to mash up the pear.

Tips:

1) If your mixture seems dry (and this could be the case if the lentils are cooked too long), feel free to add a touch of water to moisten the mixture enough so it adheres. 2) To make oat flour, add the rolled oats into a blender and blend on high until a flour forms. Alternatively, you can use 1/2 cup oat flour if you already have some on hand.

lentilwalnutmeatballscranberrysaucevegan-3018

I look forward to thawing the leftovers when I return. :)

I’ll see you next time from sunny Arizona! In the meantime, you can follow our adventures (and pie fails) on Instagram, as always.

Enjoy!

1 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 13, 2013

Girl. The oven cleanup. Omg I am so sorry! I know that had to have sucked and must have taken forever to get it off. Sticky, caramelized, chunks of fruit, gah! It’s like when you drop sprinkles all over the floor or break a glass, but worse. Been there and sorry that was your day, your post, and your delish pie all over your oven!

Awesome recovery though! This meal looks awesome. I have a cranberry post tomorrow. Love em!

2 g August 23, 2014

If I use water for the sauté instead of oil, will that work? I know I will need more than 2 tsp but I am wondering if everything will still taste good and hold together if I don’t use the oil. Thanks!

3 Lois March 28, 2015

I have used water, but vegetable broth works even better for flavor. Homemade or Pacific brand for a low-sodium broth. Yes, do use more and watch it in case you need to add.

4 Andrea November 13, 2013

Oh my goodness! I am sorry to hear your pie ended in a sad tragic death. LOL.

These lentil balls look delish! I made your other meatless “meatballs” and they were awesome! I had them with spaghetti squash which was might first time trying it. All I have to say is spaghetti squash is so freakin cool! Where have you been all my life? Yummy :)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Glad you enjoyed them Andrea! I too share your love for the spag. squash. Hopefully it’s not possible to OD on the stuff! hah

6 Gina November 13, 2013

I love those white plates! So pretty.

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Thank you! A fun Homesense find :)

8 Shel@PeachyPalate November 13, 2013

Sensational!!! Seriously can’t wait to get my hands on some cranberries!!!

9 Hannah November 13, 2013

Is it weird that I think the exploded toffee(?) in your oven looks crazy delicious?

PS Please let’s have dinner/lunch soon.

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Not crazy at all…totally normal actually. ;)
Yes, dinner/lunch holiday get together, maybe??

11 Hannah November 13, 2013

Yes please. We should probably nail down a time soon, ’cause Christmastime = crazytime!! xoxo

12 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } November 13, 2013

This looks like one of the most unique recipes I’ve ever seen! I adore all of these ingredients and never would have thought to combine them like this. I may have to surprise my parents by bringing these on Thanksgiving.

13 Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate November 13, 2013

Yikes! That sure won’t be fun to clean up! Then lentil balls look delicious though, I love that they have mushrooms in them!

14 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 13, 2013

I love these – so full of protein!

15 Anele @ Success Along the Weigh November 13, 2013

Aww, sorry about the bubblin’ pie! There’s nothing worse than that when you’ve put in the work and it goes all Vesuvius on you. I did that once and then put it on a cookie sheet ever since just in case. I’m making my first apple crumb pie this weekend so I’ll have to remember to do that!

16 Suzanne @ hello, veggy! November 13, 2013

I am so envious of your Arizona getaway! I could really use a good de-thawing, and it’s not even December! Hopefully these lentil balls will keep me warm :)

17 Abby@TheFrostedVegan November 13, 2013

Oh lordy, that poor pie!! These balls more than make up for it I think, I don’t typically like mushrooms but these look divine!

18 Andrea November 28, 2015

Your lentil balls look amazing but my husband is allergic to mushrooms. Do you have a suggestions for a replacement please? Fingers crossed!

19 Christine @ Gotta Eat Green November 13, 2013

I LOL’d when I saw that pie fall on instagram! That’s a good one. I hate it when that happens, but good for you for laughing it off! Have a blast in Arizona!

20 allie November 13, 2013

just returned from Arizona on Monday :-) Hiked Piestewa Peak instead of Camelback. What a great weekend and time to recharge as a couple. Loved it. Enjoy!!!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Oh fun! I’m going to look up Piestewa Peak now :)
We’ll be hiking a lot..cant wait!

22 Alex @ Kenzie Life November 13, 2013

Thank you for this post! I’ve been thinking about a recipe to bring to my second round of Thanksgiving with my friends and since I know I’ll make the lentil walnut loaf for the Thanksgiving with my family, I needed something else and these will be fabulous! Thanks Angela!

23 Alex @ Kenzie Life November 13, 2013

Oh and do you think Chanterelle mushrooms would be ok to substitute? Even though they’re ridiculously expensive, they’re the only kind I really like.

24 Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake November 13, 2013

You’re totally right, you’ve got to laugh at food fails. I got so angry at the weekend because I had to make a cake three times, but I should’ve just laughed it off.

This is such a pretty plate full of food.

25 Erica {Coffee & Quinoa} November 13, 2013

Can’t wait to check out the #piefail hashtag! And yes to mushrooms + sherry vinegar – yum. Loving the looks of these lentil balls. Can’t wait to try them out!

26 Lauren November 13, 2013

Lol, they have a hashtag for everything. Where are you going in AZ? I’m in Tucson. :-) I’m sure the weather will be a stark contrast from Canada. We always begin to see snowbirds from Minnesota (my mom’s home state) around this time of year, as our 80 degree temps are much preferred!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

We’ll be in Scottsdale and Sedona :)

28 Joelle November 13, 2013

Oh, I’m the one who mentioned Penzey’s yesterday. I see you’re going to Arizona. You have to check them out if you’re in one of these cities. You won’t be sorry! I don’t work for them or anything…just love them!

Phoenix Area

Tucson, AZ 85705
(520) 887-0777

Mon.-Sat.: 10:00AM – 6:00PM
Sun.: 11:00AM – 5:00PM

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

you. are. awesome.

thanks!! This place will be the first on my list.

30 Leslie November 18, 2013

These meatballs sound amazing! Can’t wait to try them with my Penzeys Spices (and I do work for them in Dallas – we love our customers!). Angela, I’m looking forward to exploring your blog after finding this recipe on Pinterest. We are just getting started eating Vegan.

31 Ruth November 14, 2013

Penzies Extra Fancy Vietnamese Cassia Cinnamon!!! It does not come any better than this! Grocery store cinnamon is just brown dust compared to this. Another great thing about Penzies is that they have apothecary-like jars of each offering that you can open and smell. (I’ve even been known to take a pinch and try.) Hope you can fit a visit in on your trip!

32 Keri November 13, 2013

I am so grateful for this recipe! Since we finally made a decision to stay home this year (I’m too scared to travel for Thanksgiving at 34 weeks pregnant!) I want to make the whole week as special as possible. Will definitely be making these in the next few weeks! Do they freeze well do you think? Would be great to have some leftovers ready to go!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

I have some in the freezer right now, so I will update this post when I get back and try them out! I can’t see why not.

34 Elizabeth November 27, 2013

I just made a double batch of these and would like to freeze some – did you freeze them before or after baking? Thanks for the beautiful recipe!! Can’t wait to taste it :)

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2013

I froze them after baking :)

36 Lunana July 22, 2014

How did they come out after freezing?

37 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 23, 2014

they came out good! Just thawed them and then a quick reheat in a skillet

38 Olivia November 13, 2013

Wow, these look beyond amazing! I think I need to try these. :)

Many blessings…
Olivia

fit2behealth.blogspot.com
nutrisimo.com

39 Sara November 13, 2013

I’m very sorry about the pie, but those balls look phenomenal! Love the addition of sherry vinegar, and that they can be made in advance. It’s going to be hard to decide…cranberry or mushroom gravy! :)

40 Sheryl November 13, 2013

This looks reminiscent of the genius similar too the revisited walnut lentil loaf that is a staple in my home. Can’t wait to try this!

41 Amari @ Eat Chic Chicago November 13, 2013

Cheers to you for keeping calm and carrying on with a new recipe despite the horrific death of your poor pie! The meatballs look delicious so it appears you came out a winner in the end! I probably would have quit the kitchen for the day in tears after the food claimed victory.

42 Claire (Eat Well. Party Hard.) November 13, 2013

Well, don’t these look just lovely, even if the pie didn’t quite work out :) D’you think any other type of bean or legume would work in place of lentils? I love ’em, but they’re not a very common grocery store item where I currently live–would still LOVE to give these a shot for an upcoming Thanksgiving party.

Thanks as always for kitchen brilliance!

43 Katie November 13, 2013

These look awesome! I make a lentil loaf that’s very similar, but without the sherry vinegar. However, it always tastes like it’s missing something– can’t wait to try my”loaf” with the vinegar.
And, when I cook the lentils, I add a few bay leaves and garlic cloves to the water to add a little flava’.
The cranberry sauce looks awesome, too!
Thanks for the yummy ideas :)

44 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 13, 2013

I just checked out the #piefail hashtag… LOL!! As for this recipe, I don’t normally say this of foods that resemble ground meat but they are beautiful! I use more balsamic vinegar than anyone I’ve ever met but absolutely love sherry vinegar too, especially with mushrooms! Thanks for the reminder – I’m going to pick some up this weekend!

45 Johanna GGG November 13, 2013

these look amazing – already bookmarked (and amazed at how popular these are – I was the 366th person on Delicious to bookmark these already!!!! Which is huge compared to most things I bookmark there. Deservedly so!) Full of my favourite things and make me wish I had a thanksgiving menu to plan!

46 Johanna GGG November 13, 2013

just relooked at my bookmark and found I have bookmarked the recipe as your blog home page – no wonder there were so many bookmarks – will fix this stat

47 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health November 13, 2013

Thank you for sharing your failure. As much as I feel bad for you, it made me feel better about my luck with desserts in the kitchen lately. Good for you for laughing it off!

These balls look like a perfect way to make up for the pie fail. They’re so festive!

48 Amanda November 13, 2013

Mmm, those look so good! I wonder if I could trick my meat-loving fiance into eating them… :)

PS Where are those white plates from? Love them!

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Thanks Amanda!
They are from Homesense, I think :)

50 Sherry November 13, 2013

Another awesome creation – looks better than pie in my humble opinion. Also wanted to say congrats on making the Greatist list of Top 50 Bloggers Making a Difference in Fitness, Health and Happiness. I always look forward to your stories, posts and delicious recipes.

51 Jessica November 13, 2013

Do you think red lentils would work well for this recipe?

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Hey Jessica, I don’t think they would hold up enough since they are much softer than green lentils.

53 Ella November 13, 2013

Wow these look so good! :)

Ella | towanderandtoroam.blogspot.com

54 Ella November 13, 2013

Oh no! So sorry about the pie :( do you think I could sub an equal amount of apple for the pear in cranberry sauce? trying to find a killer cranberry sauce recipe for this Thanksgiving to impress my extended family (they are strong believers that a meal must contain meat in as many forms as possible in order for it to taste good and I want to prove them WRONG!)
Looks delish as usual ;)

55 Lauren November 13, 2013

I live in Scottsdale. Hope you are having an awesome time and loving the warm weather!!!

56 cyndi November 13, 2013

Made these tonight… Took awhile; like almost two hours, but I’m not the most efficient cook! They were tasty, but I especially loved the (warm!) cranberry pear sauce! I have to cut down the garlic in most of your recipes – the hubby is not a garlic fan, so next time I think I’ll bump up the herbs a bit. I’m new to the vegan scene and I have to say that these are much better than the fake meatballs I’ve bought at the store. Thanks for the recipe!

57 Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen November 14, 2013

These lentil balls look amazing, so healthy and satisfying! I can’t wait to try them! Hehe, and thanks for the pie enlightenment – I had no idea they could explode!!

Have a beautiful day! :)

58 Emma November 14, 2013

I saw the #piefail on ig and had to have a giggle. We’ve all had kitchen disasters in our time it’s fun to share and laugh about it :)
Great looking recipe! Kind of reminds me of the filling for Dreena’s awesome festive chickpea tart with the cranberries, oats, walnuts and savoury herbs. I love all those things so am sure I’ll love this!

59 lea November 19, 2013

Oh Emma, I tried Dreena’s Festive Chickpea Tart for Cdn Thanksgiving this year….sooo goood. I am going to make these lentil balls this week. I have no doubt they will be as awesome as Angela’s Lentil Loaf, a staple in my home.

60 Amber November 14, 2013

I’m sorry to laugh at your pie, but it was just what I needed this morning! Thanks for keepin it real and hope you have a great trip!

ambernouveau.com | a londoner’s lifestyle blog

61 Laura-Jane November 14, 2013

Oh dear, the dreaded pie explosion. I’ve definitely been there!

These lentil walnut balls look perfect for one of my many festive neighbourly gatherings coming up! The cranberry-pear sauce is a nice combo.

62 Deb Oswald November 14, 2013

This looks fabulous!! and I had to smile and then groan at the thought of cleaning up after that piefail. Oy.
So one of the only few foods I don’t care for in this world is pears- I am thinking apples would be a good sub? OR I could use my cranberry chutney recipe as a sauce for these as well….. hmmmmm. LOVE the foods you make- thank you!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Im sure many fruits would work! Apples (but be sure to finely chop and mash them up a bit) orange would also be lovely. Enjoy!

64 Heiho August 1, 2015

I made these to go with a crabapple chutney I made from my ‘Centennial’ crabapples, bearing heavily, and it was a great combo! Though it seemed a little odd to be eating something tasting so like my family’s favorite turkey stuffing, a moist bread-based dressing, in the middle of the summer! But I had all the ingredients, and it looked good …. Plus they freeze! (If there are any left …) Yum, nice change of pace!

65 Josee November 14, 2013

Can’t wait to try those. That’s exactly the kind of thing I needed for my buffet style holiday dinner. Thanks for yet another great recipe. Sorry about the pie. When that happens to me, hubby offers to clean up as long as I make another pie. He’s a dessert addict!

66 Laura November 14, 2013

My oven looked like that after I made your peach cobbler! Except it wasn’t burnt on…the cobbler was fantastic! These lentil balls look yummy…can’t wait to try them. Thank you!

67 janae @ bring joy November 14, 2013

So sorry about the oven mess–that can ruin any cook’s day.

I recently discovered the amazingness of lentils beyond just in soup. They have an earthy flavor & hearty texture that is quite versital. These look extra delish with the addition of mushrooms, which I think make so many dishes better. Love!

68 Lindsay at Kitchen Operas November 14, 2013

I usually make your Glazed Lentil Walnut Apple Loaf for the holidays, but this might just replace it. Om nom nom. Thanks for this recipe. I’ve got a bag of fresh cranberries that need a home, and this sounds like the perfect excuse to use them!

69 Jessica November 14, 2013

Wow this looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!

This is my first Thanksgiving as a vegetarian (I switched over the week AFTER Thanksgiving last year!) and I have been struggling to find the perfect substitution for turkey.

Do you think I could make this into a loaf instead of balls?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Yes I do think it would work in loaf form too (not sure on cooking time yet though as I haven’t tried it). I would guess it would take about 40-50 minutes in a loaf pan to bake.

71 Catherine @ Chocolate & Vegetables November 14, 2013

That exploding pie–too funny! I know I’ve also fallen prey to the oven liners version of Murphy’s Law too. But those lentil balls look like a tasty way to recover!

72 Marlies November 14, 2013

This looks like such a perfect vegan thanksgiving dish! I’m currently trying to figure out what to make for a thanksgiving dish with my very carnivorous family and this looks perfect! Would the sauce prep be significantly different with fresh cranberries?

73 Laura November 14, 2013

Definitely going to try the lentil balls. Thinking of putting the mixture into cupcake tins, then turning them out upside down on the plate and covering with gravy. Wonder how that would work?

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

that sounds awesome :)

75 Neissa @ iGnite Your Life November 14, 2013

What a beautiful dish and I am so glad to know that even a great cook, such as yourself, has oven spills like I do. I am so thankful to have this delicious and healthy holiday option Angela! Thank you so much!

76 Donna November 14, 2013

THIS LOOKS DELISH!!…Could I possibly bake this “stuffing-side dish” style..without forming the luscious mass into individual balls?…It would save a step for me…AND …just might convince the vegan-wary persons at our meal to try a dish that looks “stuffing-ish” without the bread/gluten component!! Thoughts?

77 Lope November 14, 2013

Honestly, those plates are amazing. Even all the stove-cleaning mess was forgotten when I saw those plates.lol

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

hahah thanks ;)

79 Felicity November 14, 2013

Angela, you have the most beautiful photos I have seen of any blog. Your photography is just SO GOOD! Of course, your recipes are also amazing but I really think you should be proud of your artistic creation with photography as well as your culinary skill because when it comes down to it, with a gazillion blogs out there, we are going to pick recipes that have the most enticing photos! (Though in saying that, anyone familiar with your blog is going to continue to haunt it for recipes regardless cos after trying one recipe they would have full faith in you). :)

80 Christina @ The Beautiful Balance November 14, 2013

These look incredible! I am definitely considering making these for Thanksgiving!

81 Marissa @ Other Ways Blog November 14, 2013

I love that you shared your pie fail and talk about testing recipes! There are too many blogs where everything looks perfect all the time! The fact that you talk about your mistakes and successes reminds me to not get too discouraged when I have my own epic fails in the kitchen. Keep being genuine!

82 kally November 15, 2013

these walnut balls look great. But I have to watch how much oil and saturated fat I get in my food. Is there a way that I could use less walnuts and substitute with something else? Thank you so much. I love this blog.

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Yes you can certainly reduce the walnuts by half if desired.

84 Amanda Elvira November 15, 2013

I just want to tell you how happy and grateful I am that you post these recipes.

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2013

Aww thank you so much Amanda! That makes me happy.

86 Kaylee November 15, 2013

So first, let me say that I ADORE your recipes, pictures and blog in general. SO, I must say that to know that I’m not the only one who has an occasional explosion everyone once in a while is a bit comforting.

The lentil balls look amazing and I cannot wait to give this a try!

87 kally November 15, 2013

Angela, what would you use instead of 1/2 the nuts, more lentils? Thanks I want to make these.

88 The Vegan Cookie Fairy November 15, 2013

This looks UNBELIEVABLE! I think if I serve this my non-vegan family at Christmas they just might praise it. I’ll let you know if they like it!

89 Kelly @ Live Green Chic November 15, 2013

These look like the perfect recipe that will satisfy my lentil loving family and my not-so-lentil loving self! I will probably sub pecans for the walnuts due to allergies, unless someone has a good nut free suggestion?

90 Lisa November 15, 2013

I know mushrooms are one of the star players in these, but is there anything I could use in place of the shrooms?

91 Sandy November 15, 2013

Hi Ang!
Not sure if you keep checking comments, but I wasn’t sure how best to contact you…
Anyways, I was just eating one of your insane-good homemade Rolos and I thought “This is better than a Turtle” (which is my all-time favourite chocolate) – and then I realized, you should totally give us an OhSheGlows-ified version of Turtles for the holidays! Just another little request of you – you know, to work on in your spare time! ;)

92 Alexandra Aimee November 16, 2013

Oh my!!! I cannot wait to try these. What a wonderful idea!

93 Jennifer November 16, 2013

The lentil balls look delicious! …and the pie mess looks very depressing :( This is somethine that would definitely happen to me!

94 Renard Moreau November 16, 2013

[ Smiles ] This is evidence that vegan food is not boring!

95 Tami November 16, 2013

Just made the recipe and it is AWESOME! Thanks so much :)

96 Cara November 16, 2013

Angela, you are my hero. My sweet baby is having some … digestive issues … and it’s looking like the best thing for her might be for both her and me take some time off from bread-type products for awhile (or at least cut way down, since they are currently featuring starring roles in both of our diets). “What will I EAT?” I whined to myself. And then I came back here, and there were some absolutely PERFECT lentil-walnut-mushroom balls (she loves mushrooms!). Definitely making these tomorrow. THANKS!

97 Anastasia November 16, 2013

These look awesome. This will be my first Vegan Thanksgiving so I’m looking for ideas. I’m allergic to walnuts though – do you think almonds would be a good substitute?
Thanks – Anastasia

98 Felicity November 16, 2013

Hi Angela :) Have you thought about creating a “recipe box” where we can save our favourite recipes from you that we want to use on a regular basis, for easy access? I’m not sure how time consuming this would be for you; if it is don’t bother of course. I imagine a lot of people have pinterest etc where they might have such functions but for those without it could be handy. Have a nice holiday, cheers.

99 Barbara November 17, 2013

We use Evernote and clip our favorite recipes, etc.

100 Amy November 17, 2013

Yum! These look great. I bet they’d make a great finger food / appetizer at a holiday party!

101 Kaylyn November 17, 2013

Oh my goodness, that mess!!! Sorry to say that I laughed a lot. You’re totally right about people enjoying others’ fails. Makes us feel better when we totally goof!!! Your recipes and pictures always look so delicious and gorgeous, so it’s refreshing to see that kitchen experiments go wrong for you too! :-D

The lentil balls look very yummy, as well as the cranberry sauce. :-D

102 mary November 17, 2013

Wow this looks amazing! I’m not a hug fan of lentils but this looks so good, I’ll have to try it.

Also, I’ve done the same thing to my oven too. More than once.

103 Hannah November 17, 2013

Sooooo I totally made an oops here by not chopping the mushrooms small enough and subbing cabbage for kale, chopping that too large as well. Since I couldn’t form the balls very well, I decided to just add some extra oats and bake as a loaf with a ketchup/apple butter/molasses glaze and OH MY is it wonderful. I’ve made a lentil loaf before, but this definitely trumps. Thanks for the happy accident

104 Amanda November 17, 2013

Could this be made into a loaf instead of the little balls? I checked out the loaf recipe mentioned in the comments, but really prefer the lentil-walnut-mushroom combination here. It sounds yummy – thanks for sharing!

105 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2013

Hi Amanda, I think it would work in a loaf format – though I haven’t tried it yet so I’m not sure on the timing. I would guess it would need 45-50 minutes or so. Let me know if you try it out!

106 Amanda November 19, 2013

Great, I’m definitely going to give this a try for our Thanksgiving table! For a 9×5 loaf pan, do you think I might need to increase the recipe (1.5x, 2x) since this was only for about a dozen balls (not sure how big you were making them)? Very excited to try this!

107 Barbara November 17, 2013

Another great recipe. We loved it. There were no leftovers My husband was amazed by the great mix of flavors.

108 suzanne November 18, 2013

oooh – I made these last night – SOOOOO good! I had to process them as my boyz will not eat something if they can see the different ingredients (mushroom, nuts, cranberries, kale…) but are fine if they don’t know too much ;-).
We all loved them and I especially loved the sauce with them. Yummm – just finished baking the second half of the batch ( I made a double batch to freeze some) – can’t wait for some leftovers tonight! Thanks so much for sharing your genious. Hope your time away if phenomenal!

109 Sam November 18, 2013

Looks yummo! Was going to make your lentil loaf for Thanksgiving, but may make these instead. Curious why you say to keep them in the fridge no more than 24hrs? I would need to make these in advance of the holidays and wondering how far ahead I could make them.

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 19, 2013

Hey Sam, The time estimate is just a guess – I worried that any longer than a day and they might start to dry out. Let me know how it goes if you try it!

111 Sam November 19, 2013

will do – thanks!

112 Hannah November 18, 2013

Angela! I’ve been racking my brain for ideas to bring to my giant Irish-Catholic Thanksgiving. THIS IS PERFECT. And I have to agree (with the other Hannah!) that your pie explosion looks deeeeelish. :)

113 Lope November 18, 2013

The walnut ball recipe (with cranberry-pear sauce…yum) is awesome but I’ve just got to thank you for sharing the pictures of the pie! Glad to know I’m not the only one who screws up in the kitchen now and then. :)

114 Erin November 18, 2013

Just finished making these for dinner. They turned out wonderfully! Thanks for the great recipes.

115 Robyn B | Modern Day Missus November 19, 2013

Oh no! You have to laugh at moments like those! I have fails in the kitchen so often it isn’t funny, but it is mostly burning stuff because I get distracted with other stuff.

Those look amazing – perfect for Christmas. This is my first vegan Christmas, so I was hoping for a recipe or two to take along :-)

116 Jennifer B.T. November 19, 2013

Don’t have sherry vinegar but I do have sherry. I love to cook with it. Can I use straight sherry instead of the vinegar or do you recommend a combo of sherry with an apply cider vinegar?

117 Yohann November 19, 2013

Loved that you use Vinaigre de Xérès, it’s not common in to see that! The exploded pie is very funny! But those mushroom balls look fantastic!

118 Linda November 19, 2013

Wow! Just made these and they’re very good. Took a bit of time and my kitchen is a mess, but they are well worth it. Thanks for the recipe.

119 Shelly November 20, 2013

Would it work to pulse vegetables in food processor?

120 Margaret Flay November 20, 2013

Hi Angela,

I pre-ordered your cookbook a while back through amazon.ca and just today got a notification that because the items are no longer available my order has been cancelled.
Have others been having the same problem?
Love all your recipes and was SO looking forward to getting your vegan cookbook!!

121 Michelle November 20, 2013

These were fantastic! I served them with mango chutney and then in a wrap the next day for lunch. Great recipe as usual

122 Shawn November 20, 2013

These look amazing! Can’t wait to make them tomorrow. I have loads of almond flour, made from the pulp of my almond milk. Do you think this would work in place of the oat flour? Thanks again for another delicious recipe!

123 Tess @ Tips on Healthy Living November 20, 2013

The cranberry-pear sauce looks delicious– it’s like the icing on the cake. Can you incorporate into this as a main course meal or does it work better as an appetizer?

124 Laura November 20, 2013

Wow, these look perfect for a dinner I’m going to for the holiday. Should these be served warm or cold?

125 Jana November 25, 2013

They were tasty warm and tasty at room temperature. I think I noticed more of the different flavors when they were cooler.

126 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food November 21, 2013

Kitchen mishaps happen often around here and there is nothing you can do but sit back and laugh! This recipe looks amazing and it definitely looks like a perfect dish for the holidays!

127 Jen November 21, 2013

i made the lentil balls and cranberry sauce and YUM!! HOWEVER, mine were super dry and I’m not sure why. I added in an extra T of water when everything came together a little dry. Maybe I need more practice with lentils. I used the bobs red mill brand. hmmm. The cranberry sauce is out of this world! Thanks! I’m trying to figure out a way to make these on thursday morning and transport them for an hour in the car.

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2013

Hey Jen, I think the moisture in the recipe can vary due to how long the lentils are cooked and how much they dry up when cooking. So yes, good call on adding some more water!

129 Eileen November 22, 2013

I have been an on and off (mostly on) vegan for almost 2 years and found your website that long ago. I love it and have not made anything I didn’t like or couldn’t tweak to fit our tastes. Thanks so much! I made these as sliders a few days ago and they were awesome.
I have a friend who is not vegan but has multiple food allergies and I have tweaked several of your recipes to fit her diet. I just made these for her, substituting mustard greens for the kale and rice wine vinegar for the sherry vinegar (can’t find it for me and she can’t have grapes so I was leary to use any wine based vinegar). I also used onion and carrots in place of some of the mushroom to add more flavor since she can’t have garlic (poor girl, I know) and used italian seasonings. They are pretty good, if I do say so myself, and I can’t wait for her to try them tomorrow. Thanks again for the wonderful recipes and pictures to go with them. Keep up the good work!

130 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 23, 2013

Hi Eileen, I’m so happy to hear you are enjoying the recipes and that this recipe worked with some changes too! Thanks for letting us know :) I hope your friend enjoys them too!

131 meghan November 23, 2013

I made these last night to bake tonight. I made the balls a little big I think because it only made 10. Will they bake ok a little bigger or should I remake them into little balls? They are wrapped in plastic wrap right now.

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2013

They should be just fine :)

133 J. Leigh November 23, 2013

Making these now for vegetarian Thanksgiving pot-luck with oir meditation group. Sayce is AMAZING (added some tangarine zest)…will share feedback frim the group.

134 J. Leigh November 23, 2013

Was initially leaning towards the tried-and-true lentil loaf initially. Then Angela shared this new recipe. Was reluctant with very little feedback since it was a new recipe. SO glad I made it. So wonderful! So many textures and flavors! I may eat more of the mix than what actually makes it into a ball! Thank you for this amazing recipe. I can’t wait to share this meal tomorrow!

135 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2013

yay!!! So glad to hear this :) It’s my new fav recipe easily…so glad to hear that you enjoyed it too! Im going to try it in a loaf shape today.

136 j.leigh March 15, 2014

Your book arrived this week. Congratualtions on your success! I think we’ll be making every recipe in it. Thank you for your creativity and sharing your gifts. I’ve struggled with taking the next “big” step with my diet simply for lack of variety. Not so anymore!

137 Michelle November 24, 2013

I’m definitely going to give the lentil balls a try. They look amazing. Thank you for all your lovely recipes.

138 Charlie November 25, 2013

I want to make these 4 days ahead of the holiday. Do you see a problem assembling them, freezing them, thawing them and then baking?

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2013

Hey Charlie, I’m really not sure as I haven’t tried anything like that before. I suggest doing a trial run just to make sure it works. Let me know how it goes!

140 Jana November 25, 2013

The lentil balls were really good! Thanks! I took them to an end-of-season soccer party. There was tons of pizza, pasta and other junk. These balls were eaten up (by the adults) and a huge bowl of Rad Rainbow Pad Thai was also completely consumed. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes. I have decided that you and I have similar taste in food and I can trust you!

The next time I make these I am going to get out the food processor. Without it the recipe took a LONG time to make.

141 Jana November 25, 2013

Oh, I should mention that I used dried cherries instead of cranberries and dried rosemary.

142 Kara November 25, 2013

Angela,
I made these over the weekend and as usual another uncomplicated, fantastic recipe!
So many superfoods (mushrooms, kale, walnuts) packed into one recipe.
Thank you for sharing this recipe.

143 Suzanne Blom November 25, 2013

Thank you for the great Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls Recipe. Had a vegan guest for dinner and went searching the net for a main dish. Really glad I found your site because I could have made a double batch to satisfy all the meat eaters at the table. Not that we were giving up on the lamb shanks, which were also delicious, but everyone really liked the vegan dish and even the non-cranberry people liked the Cranberry-Pear Sauce. Delicious! I’m planning to make the Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls as an appetizer next time.

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2013

Im so glad it was enjoyed Suzanne! And yes 1 batch doesnt last long :)

145 Olivia November 25, 2013

I made these and they were awesome! I unexpectedly was out of flax so I subbed chia seeds instead and that worked fairly well.

I tried chopping the kale super finely, but I think next time I’ll give it a quick whirl in the food processor because I had some leaves sticking out. It didn’t affect the taste any, but the presentation looked a bit off.

As always, Oh She Glows gave me a perfect fail proof recipe that everyone loved. Can’t wait for my first shot at the lentil loaf for this Thanksgiving!!

146 Beth November 25, 2013

This recipe looks yummy, but I actually don’t like mushrooms! Is there anything I could substitute? Thank you!

147 Kelli November 25, 2013

My husband and I both really liked these. They were so savory-tasted like stuffing. I added some shallots. I’m thinking I might shove it all in a loaf pan next time around. Great recipe, Angela. Thank you!!

148 Victoria November 26, 2013

Hi Angela,
I apologize if someone has already asked this question and I missed it. I want to make these to bring to a party but I know the host family “doesn’t do mushrooms” :-). How important are they and is there a substitute you can recommend if I can’t leave them out.

Thank you for all your amazing inspirations!

Victoria

149 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2013

Hi Victoria, I’m really not sure as I haven’t tried it without mushrooms yet. My advice would be to do a trial run! Let me know how it goes if you try it. You could try subbing in 3/4 cup shredded carrots if that is of interest. Goodluck!

150 zen November 26, 2013

is that the pumpkin pie recipe?? eeeek

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2013

hah no, I was attempting a pecan pie recipe.

152 Christine November 26, 2013

Hi Angela,
Your recipes look amazing as always and I can’t wait for your cookbook to come out! My question is, is there any other way to cook the lentil walnut balls? Our oven is broken, though the stovetop still works (brown and cover to cook?), or a slowcooker or do you need a liquid for that to work? (you can tell how often I use it). I also have a dehydrator… many thanks.

153 lea November 26, 2013

Ahh…the mighty lentil…ate this dish tonight for supper…absolutely delish. Wasn’t thinking and I put all the balls into the oven to bake. I meant to bake only two of them…half way thru’ I thought …what have I done!!! So I pulled them out and will freeze them half baked…I’m thinking, it should be okay. Anyway…another home run.. Thanks so much Angela

154 caroline November 27, 2013

Could I make this cranberry sauce raw? I was thinking of just cutting up the cranberries, mixing in the other things, (substituting blended dates for maple syrup) and putting it in the dehydrator for a while. Do you think that might turn out ok? Thanks, Angela.

155 alison November 27, 2013

Would any other nut work in place of the walnuts for those lentil balls?

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2013

I think pecans would be amazing too :)

157 Alicia November 27, 2013

I would love to make this into a loaf! Would I need to change anything other than cook time so that it’s neither over moist nor dry?

158 Jordan November 27, 2013

I loved the pictures on your website and especially of these balls! I’m also curious but where do you get those beautiful plates? :)

159 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2013

They are from Homesense I think :)

160 Kim November 27, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. These are absolutely delicious! I just made a batch to take as an appetizer to Thanksgiving tomorrow. I don’t know that they’ll ever make it in to the oven in the morning…I can’t stop eating the mixture! I think this would be great to bake as a lentil loaf instead of the little balls as well. As always, this recipe is another winner. You never ever disappoint! I can’t wait for your cookbook! (I’ve already pre-ordered my copy.) :-)

161 Katrina Knight-Vera November 28, 2013

Made your Kale salad, Lentil mushroom balls and cranberry sauce for my Thanksgiving meal. It was dee-licious!! The non-vegetarians also loved it!

162 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2013

So happy to hear this Katrina! Thanks for trying it :)

163 Kylie November 28, 2013

I have the pumpkin pie with pecan crest made and tempting me – I have in the oven the lentil balls and cranberry sauce on the stove. I am also making your vegan gravy because we love love love that on everything! I think this is going to be another fantastic meal thanks to you :)

Happy Holidays!

164 Marlies November 28, 2013

I made these for thanksgiving today and everyone loved them, despite their *gasp* lack of meat! Thanks for another amazing recipe!!

165 Celeste November 29, 2013

I’m allergic to walnuts. I also have a sensitivity to cashews. What would you recommend as a substitute in the lentil mushroom walnut balls?

166 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2013

sunflower seeds :) but I’d only use 1/2-2/3 cup and roughly chop. enjoy!

167 Katrina November 29, 2013

I just made these for Thanksgiving this year and they turned out phenomenal. Thank you! I love you blog so much :)

168 ashley November 30, 2013

Just made these and let me tell you they were amazing!

169 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 1, 2013

Thanks for letting me know Ashley! I’m so happy you enjoyed them :)

170 Victoria December 1, 2013

Angela,

Love your recipes! Made the walnut lentil balls for my Thanksgiving dinner. The flavor was amazing, but, they were a little dry. Kind of crumbly when cooked. Not sure what I did wrong. Will try again.

171 Kat December 2, 2013

Just wanted to share my vegan thanksgiving victory that occurred the Friday after I made these delicious lentil balls and cranberry sauce. So many people rave about their leftover turkey sammies, well I took my two remaining lentil balls and made a sandwich on my favorite GF bread with cranberry sauce and mustard. Simply amazing.

172 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2013

Oh wow I love this idea :) Thanks so much for letting me know!

173 char eats greens December 3, 2013

Ange, I have a mushroom lentil walnut burger. Too funny!! These sound so good; especially with the addition of kale!!!!

174 Regine December 7, 2013

Do you think that this would also work without the dried cranberries? My husband dislikes any dried fruit.

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2013

Yes I think they would still work just fine :)

176 Justin December 8, 2013

We made these for a dinner party and they were delicious! Had a hard time not eating all of them before we left the house. Couldn’t find any cranberries without sugar but I did find unsweetened cherries which turned out nice. We also opted out of the parchment paper and greased our sheet pan with coconut oil, they didn’t stick at all! I will double this recipe from now on because one batch isn’t enough.

I feel like I must thank you for making one of my favorite things, stuffing, actually guilt free! We’re going to make these veggie patty size so that I will never feel bad again about eating a stuffing and cranberry sauce sandwich.

177 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 8, 2013

Hi Justin, I’m so happy you enjoyed it! I had to laugh about having a hard time not eating them all before leaving the house…we had the same issue! Totally agree with you on the double batch. Thanks for your feedback!

178 C December 10, 2013

I made these last night for dinner! They were great! And super filling too! Thank you for the recipe!

179 Cynthia December 10, 2013

Looks great! Thanks for the recipes. :)

180 Chantel December 11, 2013

Made The lentil mushroom balls And LOVED THEM!! Highly recommend them for parties as a replacement for meatballs.
Thanks so much!

181 Bev Hennager December 11, 2013

I am half way through making this recipe and very excited that it might be my next Christmas hit. Last year I made your Glazed Apple Walnut Lentil loaf and everyone loved it. It is one of my favorite recipes. I have to reduce the walnuts to half a cup because I am not supposed to have very much fat. I hope that doesn’t make a big difference.

I am glad someone else has baking disasters – not just me!

182 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2013

Hey Bev, I hope you enjoy them! They are definitely our new favourite holiday staple around here.

183 Dawn December 11, 2013

We made these lentil mushroom walnut balls tonight and they are absolutely delicious!!!!! Even my 10, 12 & 14 year old girls loved them. Thank you for this amazing recipe.

184 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2013

Awesome Dawn! So glad to hear this :)

185 Andréanne Marchand Godbout December 13, 2013

Hi,
I’d like to make the recipe but I’d have a few questions to ask you.
Can I substitute the dry lentils for canned ones?
And if I bake the balls a few hours in advance will they dry out too much?
Thank you and keep up with your great recipes!

186 Rose December 22, 2013

Hello,
Thanks for the great recipe. I plan on making this as my main protein dish for Christmas. I was wondering if you could take this same recipe and make a loaf instead of the balls. What temp/time would be best for a loaf version?

187 Kayla December 24, 2013

These are baking in the oven right now and I CAN’T WAIT! The uncooked mixture already tasted divine. I went vegetarian this year and it was nice to make and roll these with my mom. :) They’ll be a beautiful addition to our Christmas spread. Thank you, Angela! Hope you have a safe and happy holiday. xo

188 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013

So glad to hear this Kayla! Merry Christmas to you!

189 Karen December 24, 2013

Is it OK to substitute yellow or red lentils, which I have on hand?

190 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013

Hey Karen, I only recommend green or brown lentils in this recipe. Red lentils break down too much and would impact the texture/moisture content. I haven’t tried yellow lentils before so I can’t comment on those. Hope this helps!

191 Rachel December 25, 2013

This is the only vegan holiday meal that I really feel like I hit a home run with. Thanks again for a delicious meal, Angela. My taste buds would be sad without you!!

192 Karen December 26, 2013

I made these for my vegetarian in-laws for Christmas dinner and they were a big hit with the entire family. I know they loved being served a special dish and not just having to eat the side dishes. You certainly don’t need to be vegan to love these. Thanks for the great holiday recipe.

193 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 26, 2013

Hi Karen, I’m so happy to hear that! Merry Christmas :)

194 Lauren December 26, 2013

Thank you for this recipe. My husband made them for me for Christmas dinner and they were fantastic.

195 Laura December 27, 2013

I’m new to your website but will be a regular guest. Thanks!! This recipe sounds and looks sooo good. Can’t find any cremini mushrooms so what do you suggest I substitute? Darn, can’t have any vinegar because of a yeast allergy. Don’t understand the connection but know I’m better after eliminating vinegar. I asked the guy at our health food store if Sherry Vinegar has yeast, or is fermented and he thought so. I think I’d try this recipe without the vinegar – or another substitute?? :-).

196 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2013

Hi Laura, You can substitute regular white mushrooms for the cremini if you’d like. I haven’t tried it, but I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. As for a vinegar sub, I’m not sure of one. Maybe a very small amount of fresh lemon juice (start with 1/2 tbsp and go from there as you taste the mix). Enjoy!

197 Tracy December 30, 2013

I made these for my family Christmas dinner, they were so good! They even impressed a couple of the meat loving guests at the table! I’m new to the vegetarian lifestyle, and trying to transition to a vegan one and your recipes are helping me out a lot!

198 Amy Ehrlich December 31, 2013

I made these tonight – in fact, all of them (lentil balls, kale salad, sweet potatoes) and they were a huge hit! Thanks. One thing I will say is that I thought the amount of lentils is a misprint. 1/2 c seemed very small, so I did a full cup, and they turned out perfect. Are you sure you meant to write 1/2 C? Happy New Year!

199 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 1, 2014

Hi Amy, Glad you enjoyed them! And no, 1/2 cup was not a misprint. I’m glad it worked out with a cup too though! Enjoy the rest :)

200 Corey January 3, 2014

I intend to make this but where to you find Sherry vinegar? I’m in the east GTA and have been to a couple of my local supermarkets and neither of them carry it. Is there something else you think I can replace it with or should I just skip the vinegar?

201 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2014

Hey Corey, I think I bought it at Whole Foods. You can also find it online! I haven’t tried other vinegars yet, but I would probably try red wine vinegar or white wine vinegar (add slowly to taste). good luck and let me know how it goes!

202 Corey January 3, 2014

Yeah, I figured it was probably a Whole Foods item (and sadly none around here). Used red wine vinegar instead and also made it a raspberry pear sause (since I forgot to buy cranberries). Prep time took longer than expected but I enjoyed them and even my fairly picky husband and 4 year old girl gobbled them up.

203 Amanda January 9, 2014

Hi Angela,

I’m planning on making these for a belated family Christmas dinner. Just wondering if you could recommend some recipes that would be good side dishes.

Thank you so much!!

204 Nuni January 13, 2014

Made these tonight – delicious! Have to say it was 2-1/2 hours from start to putting in the oven, and I used my food processor. Not sure how it could be done in 35 minutes. Worth the effort though. I’ve used the garlic pear sauce in other recipes and I’ve been meaning to make these.

205 Jen January 13, 2014

Can we please get nutrition information on all recipes?! It was really helpful when you did that in the past! Thanks!!

206 Kayla January 18, 2014

Last time I made these, before I added the flax eggs and oat flour I though to myself that this would be a great base for pasta sauce. SO, today I cooked up the recipe, omitting the flax, flour, and kale (only because I forgot to buy some, I would definitely include it next time) and adding about 1 1/2 cups of tomato passata (not sauce). I had it over whole wheat penne and WOW. There’s a touch of sweetness from the cranberries, which I love, and a nice chunky texture. Thank you again, Angela. :) Your avocado pasta is another favourite of mine!

207 kim January 25, 2014

I made these tonite and they had lovely flavor, texture, and the cranberry sauce is such a nice addition. I am going to take the remaining few lentil balls and put them in a pita with some tomato sauce to see what a nice sub I get! My husband eats alot of lentils so finding new ways to have them is fun. Thanks for the recipe.

208 Orgeluse March 7, 2014

Thanks for the recipe! I made small lentil mushroom walnut pies with pastry-dough – they were delicious!

209 MC June 28, 2014

Just made these for dinner and they were a hit. Perfectly hearty for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.

210 Carmella July 9, 2014

Bless you and your cotton socks. You rock girlfriend. Loving your recipes and your book!

211 Susan August 13, 2014

These we’re amazing! I made them tonight and served them with mashed potatoes and steamed veg! So good!

212 Caro September 21, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I made these just now and they are fantastic. It felt decadent, just sitting there on a normal Sunday eating this festive meal. YUM! In Germany, we seldomly have fresh cranberries, so I made the sauce with raspberries. Think I might make these for my parents for Christmas as a side dish… (meat will be had, sorry! ;-))

213 Erica October 2, 2014

This was great!! Not a cranberry fan so I used golden raisins instead of dried cranberries and served them with gravy. Omitted thyme and oregano and added 1/2 tsp allspice, so they were sort of like Swedish meatballs. Using the food processor to chop everything finely definitely sped up the process. Had sauteed red cabbage with apples on the side.

214 shauna October 7, 2014

Morning do you see any reason that I could not sub in pecans for walnuts for this recipe as well as your glazed lentil loaf?

215 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2014

Im sure that would be delicious!

216 talia October 7, 2014

this is fantastic…im going to make this..but stuff it in crescent roll dough

217 Florence October 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Finally made this tonight and it was a hit. And my family had never tasted vegan food before.
I actually almost skipped the sauce because I don’t like cranberries at all. But I am so glad I didn’t, first time ever i like something with a good quantity of cranberries. I feel the balls would have been a bit dry otherwise. With the sauce it was just perfect.

218 Michelle October 13, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These made my Thanksgiving! Thank you!!! So good!!!!

219 Jen October 14, 2014
Recipe Rating:

These were fantastic! I used rice vinegar instead of sherry vinegar, and also accidentally subbed sage for the oregano, and they came out amazing!!!! I added a bit of extra maple syrup to the cranberries as I found them really tart. They were still pleasantly tart with the extra, just not overpoweringly so.

220 Tiffany October 30, 2014
Recipe Rating:

I love the addition of a pear to the cranberry sauce! Ever since I read this post I add half a pear to my cranberry sauce. I also love adding orange zest, vanilla powder, and balsamic vinegar. I can’t wait to make the lentil balls soon! Thanks Angela!!

221 Brooke October 31, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Oh my!!! These are delicious! I didn’t have fresh cranberries to make the sauce but the walnut balls are amazing! They taste just like my moms stuffing only without all the guilt. Can’t wait to add these to my Thanksgiving menu this year….sauce included next time!

222 Mariel Lipari November 2, 2014

I think a caramelized onion sauce or mushroom sauce would also go nicely with this. By the way, while cooking you might enjoy listening to this song written by a vegan philosophy college student.

223 Ivana November 4, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Made the lentil balls the other day and they turned out perfect! Didn’t use mushrooms though, I sauteed some chopped leeks instead and it worked great. No falling apart, they held up great so thanks again for a great recipe, I will be using this one again and again!

224 katherine November 6, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is wonderful!

225 Nicole November 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Just tried these in preparation for Thanksgiving and they’re great!! Can’t wait to have for these for the holidays…very hard not to eat them all at once :) They’d be great on leftover sandwiches also!

226 Melissa November 11, 2014

Is there any alternative to walnuts? I have a walnut allergy.
Thanks!

227 Sandy November 12, 2014

Are there any alternatives to using mushrooms? Thxs- :)

228 Trisha November 13, 2014

Can you tell me if this is something I could make and throw them in the freezer and then just warm them on Thanksgiving? I’m trying to simplify my life. Do they lose consistency? They look really tasty. Thanks!

229 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2014

I have frozen them before, thawed on the counter (not in microwave), and then reheated in the oven. You might want to cook them for a bit less time the first time you cook them, just so they dont dry out when reheating.

230 Diana November 15, 2014

Hi Angela- I was wondering which bean I could use instead of lentils. For some odd reason, my son is allergic to them and not to any other legume! Thanks!

231 Sabrina Segui November 19, 2014

Hi,

Congratulations on your new baby and thank you for helping me change my life!

Quick questions: Can the Thanksgiving meatballs be frozen? Can they be made as a loaf instead of balls? Do you think I could incorporate chestnuts into the recipe somehow?

All the best,

Sabrina

232 Rebecca November 20, 2014

Is there possibly a way to make these delicious sounding lentil balls without the mushrooms?

I realize it’s one of the two main ingredients so probably not, but I thought I’d ask. :) Thank you for all the delicious recipes you share! I feel like your blog is the primary one I’ve used to learn to cook healthy, Vegetarian friendly foods. It is definitely changing my life for the better!

233 Andy December 16, 2014

I would like to know too. I don’t like mushrooms and would like to make it without them.

234 Ashley | Blissful Basil November 22, 2014
Recipe Rating:

This comment is long overdue, but I made these for Thanksgiving last year (tripled the batch) and they were a HUGE hit with meat-eaters, vegetarians, and vegans. I didn’t anticipate the meat-eaters devouring them the way they did and we actually ran out and had people asking if we had more tucked away somewhere in the frazzled-looking kitchen! I’m making them today for a friendsgiving gathering this evening, and I’m sure they’ll have the same effect. Thanks for another brilliant recipe, Angela!

235 Karin November 23, 2014

Help! I need to sub sunflower seeds for the walnuts (tree nut allergy), how much chopped walnut do you end up with?

236 Devin November 26, 2014

Hello! I am halfway through making these balls and I am unsure if I am supposed to drain the excess liquid off of the lentils. I want the consistency to be correct, and want to know the right way to go!

237 Amber Henry December 5, 2014
Recipe Rating:

QUESTION: I made these and had the same problem I did with the Moroccan (delicious) yam burgers. They were perfectly crispy on the outside but mush on the inside. Is the texture suppose to be this way or should they be fairly solid throughout? The flavours are amazing, I am just having trouble with the texture. I even tried keeping them in the oven longer and no luck.

238 Sarah R December 9, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Wow! These were very good and relatively easy to make compared to lentil loaf. I love having our “veggie alternative” on Thanksgiving (still working on convincing the meat eaters). I think ours needed a little more moisture but now we know for next time. Definitely add water if they are even a little crumbly! We made the cranberry sauce last night but used a persimmon instead of a pear since we have dozens right now. My husband loved the cranberry sauce and it was so easy to make!

239 Deb December 15, 2014
Recipe Rating:

Used this recipe with my fiance’s family on Thanksgiving, to rave reviews (whew!!!) :) A bit time-consuming, but worth the extra effort for those special occasions. SO YUMMY. :) !

240 Alex December 15, 2014

I am attempting to make this recipe for my holiday dinner, I have a question about the sauce. Do you mash the pear before adding it to the pot or after with the cranberries and maple syrup?

241 Lee Anne December 22, 2014

I know this is an older post but I would like to make these lovely balls for the holidays, the catch is my daughter hates mushrooms. Is there a substitute you could suggest?

242 Andrea I December 23, 2014

As I type I am in the process of eating the lentil-mushroom walnut balls. Yumm……

243 Katy G. January 9, 2015

I’m calling these Thanksgiving Balls because they smell and feel like Thanksgiving when I made them. I only tried little bits that fell off during baking, and they were good. I am excited to have these and hope the rest of the family enjoys them as much as I know I will. By the way, I can’t stop cooking because all of your recipes look so amazing and I keep seeing one and thinking, oh and I need to make that and definitely that. So, needless to say I made the Feel Good Hearty Granola Bars, the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Larabars, the Ultimate Green Tacos with Lentil Walnut Taco Meat and the Lentil Mushroom Walnut Balls today, plus the vegan queso dip from Detoxinista…geez. I know I need to stop… Thank you for keeping me busy!. : )

244 K January 17, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Love these so much!!/made them again today.
Subtle flavors that work so well together. Delicious!

245 Liarne January 18, 2015

Hi this recipe looks fantastic and I really want to make it but I’d like to make it for my Dad. Unfortunately, he can’t eat oats. Is there something else I could use instead? Some other sort of flour? Is there any other recipe similar to this that don’t require oat flour or any hard grains? Thanks.

246 Stephanie January 30, 2015

Liarne, I bet you could sub almond meal/flour (Bob’s Red Mill has a great product) for the oats. When I made these for Christmas last year, I actually was out of oats (who knew?) and did a blend of half oat/half almond meal, and they turned out great!

247 Nicole January 19, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Oh. My. Goodness. I just made these and they are incredible! You’ve never steered me wrong with a recipe, and the more I try, the more I love! They’re not a quick thing to make, but oh so worth it in the end. Thanks for another great find!

248 Stephanie January 30, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Made these AGAIN last night (baking the second half of a doubled batch this morning for fiance’s company “Super Bowl potluck” today). Came out PERFECTO for dinner last night! For the sauce, I mocked the ol’ “Heinz chili sauce and grape jelly” goo that our neighbors used to use to cook l’il smokies in when I was a kid using organic ingredients (and maple syrup instead of corn). It worked out GREAT! Definitely gave these pristine little balls a decidedly naughty quality. ;) I think they’re gonna go over big with omnivores and veg-head alike (if Don doesn’t eat them all first). THANK YOU!

249 Morgan February 3, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I added a bit of lime juice and chili powder, and it added a nice flavor to the balls. If you don’t make the cranberry sauce, I suggest adding in the lime and the chili powder, it helps to add a bit more flavor. It was really good, and my parents enjoyed it when I made it for them!

250 K February 20, 2015

I’ve made this recipe several times now, but always around Christmas, so cranberries were readily available. Love the lentil balls and sauce combo BTW!

Any suggestions on sauces to serve it with now (mid Feb)? What flavours would work with this?

Thanks in advance!

251 Sisse March 18, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi Angela! I was looking at onegreenplanet.com today and I recognized this recipe and was surprised that it wasn’t credited to you. Maybe I have missed something but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. The link is: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/lentil-mushroom-walnut-balls/ In any case thank you very much for your wonderful recipes and blog. I actually made this for Christmas last year and it was fabulous! I am a huge fan of yours!

252 Elizabeth March 28, 2015

Hi, This sounds so amazing, Lentils give me heartburn. I know, strange right? What do you suggest for a replacement legume?

253 Whitney May 21, 2015

I haven’t attempted to make these yet but they look delicious! Would this be good to make into a meat(less) loaf as well?

254 Michelle September 5, 2015

These are incredible! Thank you so much. They are very thanksgivingly but I feel like I could eat them everyday of the year.

255 Patty September 21, 2015

Can this be made with almonds or sunflower seeds? My nephew is allergic to almost all nuts!

256 Julia October 12, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi! Wow, these were AMAZING! I have lived abroad since 2009, and I decided that it was high time I begun a Thanksgiving tradition here. I had my husband’s family come over, and although the entire meal was a success, these really impressed. I enjoyed making them, and they tasted delicious. I agree that the sherry vinegar is necessary, and instead of using normal mushrooms, I used some home (balcony) grown oyster mushrooms. Totally delicious.

Thank you for being a part of my first Thanksgiving as a hostess here in Switzerland!

257 Tiffany November 3, 2015

Hi Angela!

I left a comment a year ago reviewing the cranberry sauce and how much I love it! I do make a few changes :)

5 cups of cranberries, 1 diced pear, zest of one orange, 1/2c + 1T of maple syrup, and vanilla extract. I cook it for 40 minutes until its a deep red color.

Tonight, I finally made the lentil balls. Wow, absolutely delicious!! Thank you!

258 Tiffany November 3, 2015

Not sure why the rating didn’t go through. But 5 stars all the way!

259 Danielle November 6, 2015

HI Angela,

Quick question! Do you think this recipe would work in loaf form also?

Thanks

260 Sarita Shoemaker November 12, 2015

Well, I created these using sunflower seeds rather than walnut because my daughter is extremely allergic. They came out “ok”. I didn’t chop up the seeds enough I think.

I love the flavor and texture (except my seeds).

I also made the pear/cranberry chutney topping. I used 1/4 c more cranberries just because I wanted more tart than sweet. I also used maple syrup. The pear was perfect so everything was very sweet.

The chutney was a perfect match with the balls.

My husband thought maybe more “heat” in the balls, so I’ll be including cayenne in my next batch.

Thank you for the inspiration!

261 Suzy November 14, 2015

Hi

I cannot have oil, any sub for this>

thx

262 Emily November 16, 2015

Hi! These look delicious! Would it work to use any nuts besides walnuts? Almonds or pistachios, maybe? Also, if I’m just making these for myself, could I freeze the uncooked balls for later use? Thanks!

263 Tricia November 25, 2015

When I google this recipe it says there are 19 reviews and 5 stars. Where are these reviews? I would like to see the comments from people who have made and, more importantly, ate these.

264 Tricia November 25, 2015

I knew I would see the reviews as soon as I sent that message! Found them!! Going to try this recipe for thanksgiving.

265 Kathy November 25, 2015

Thanks for the pie picture- started my day with a laugh- I always wish I had photographed my cake that caught on fire in the oven- it came to be known as the fireball cake- I still ate around the scorched parts to test for taste- had to- have a great thgvg- I am snooping around for some new recipes- thx for the beautiful site

266 Nykia November 27, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Hi! I made these lentil balls late Wednesday for Thanksgiving. I froze them to bake Thursday. They were really full of flavor from the fresh rosemary. I was happy they stayed together and didn’t crumble as I was baking. Question: any suggestion for them not to taste so dry and a little more “wet”? Thank you for the great recipe

267 Suzanne November 30, 2015
Recipe Rating:

Angela, Thank you so much for this delicious recipe! I just made it last night for dinner and I loved it! My husband and daughter ate it right up too! The delicious and easy cranberry sauce goes so well with these festive lentil balls. I think this will become a holiday staple in my home. I have been enjoying your cookbook so much. I have made over 30 of the recipes so far and LOVE them! Please keep creating and cooking!

268 Laura December 1, 2015

Hello! These look delicious!

I have a work potluck next week and these would be great to bring for everyone to try. Do you think they would be ok heated up in a microwave the next day (we don’t have an oven at work)? Also, should the sauce be served warm or cold?

Thanks!

Laura

269 Ceara December 7, 2015

I absolutely love your website and cookbook!

Do you have any suggestions for a substitute for the mushrooms in these?
Hoping to make these for Christmas and dinner but my family won’t eat mushrooms!
Thanks!

270 Anna December 27, 2015

I would just add the mushrooms and not tell them! If they are finely chopped you can’t see them and as a mushroom lover myself, I definitely can’t taste them. The spices are the dominate feature in these lentil balls and the second strongest flavor are the lentils. Just call them lentil walnut balls and they’ll be none the wiser!

271 Mary December 15, 2015

do you think this could be made into a loaf?

272 Kathy December 21, 2015

Hi,
Can the lentil, mushroom walnut balls be made into a loaf instead? If yes, how long would you recommend the baking time to be? Can’t wait to try them.

273 Kristen December 22, 2015

What vinegar should I use if I can’t find sherry vinegar?

274 dax niesten December 23, 2015

hello,

this looks so good! i am going to make them for christmas but was wondering if i could use anything instead of the flex bc im dutch and dont know where to get it .

keep on being awesome

greatings from ducks :)

275 Amy December 27, 2015
Recipe Rating:

I love all your recipes, so I was really excited to try this, but they were not very good. I followed the directions pretty closely, but I did not include the sherry vinegar? Maybe that was the missing ingredient that could’ve made it. but I had to throw them away, a lot of effort put into something that wasn’t even very edible… sorry but this was a miss….I found the texture and taste off.

276 Shelli December 27, 2015

Went went wrong with my lentil balls!

I was so excited for this recipe, I was even out on Christmas eve at the only store in town that carried sherry wine vinegar, but I bought it in the nick of time before the store closed for Christmas.

So much potential, and they turned out so dry. Could it be that they were dry because I prepped them ahead of time (about 4 hours ahead) and placed them in the fridge unwrapped before baking them. That was my epic fail, I think.

Please advise, I would like to try to make these again.

277 Anna December 27, 2015
Recipe Rating:

This recipe is wonderful! Although I did make small changes to reduce the sugar. I reduced the cranberries down to 1/4 of a cup and I reduced the maple syrup for the sauce down to 1/3 of a cup. In case you are interested, I found out the nutrition info, using 1/4 of a cup of cranberries instead of 1/3, via myfitnesspal.com nutrition calculator. I made 20 lentil balls and for 4 servings of 5 lentil balls, there are 646 calories, 23 grams of fat (those walnuts really get ya), 24 grams of protein, and 11 grams of sugar. I did not calculate the nutrition for the sauce. Thank you for this marvelous meal! I will definitely make it again!