Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 8, 2013

potatoandblackbeannachos-3297

This is the meal to make when you have no idea what to make.

Or when winter is over, but spring produce still hasn’t peaked (I’m looking at you, wimpy asparagus!).

This is the meal to make when you just want to devour a huge plate of nachos and call it dinner.

potatoandblackbeannachos-3287

Or lunch. Breakfast. Snack. whatever!

First we need to make big, crispy potato wedges. Sweet potatoes are fine too, but they don’t get nearly as crispy and are kind of mushy when baked into big wedges. You could also use store-bought fries in a pinch. Eric is in love with Alexia’s Sweet Potato Puffs (have you tried those?) and insists they would be perfect in this recipe.

potatoandblackbeannachos-3264 potatoandblackbeannachos-3267 potatoandblackbeannachos-3299

While those are baking, sauté a simple skillet mixture of red onion, garlic, bell pepper, black beans, and seasonings.

Finally, layer on any toppings that tickle your fancy – I used avocado, cashew cream, green onion, tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime juice.

I dare you not to devour this.

potatoandblackbeannachos-3273

Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 3 servings

Potato Wedges:

2 medium Russet (baking) potatoes, sliced into wedges
1 tbsp grapeseed oil or melted coconut oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Few pinches of chili powder

Black Bean Skillet Mixture:

1/2 tbsp oil
1 cup chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red sweet pepper, diced
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
Fine grain sea salt, to taste

Toppings: Tomatoes/salsa, cilantro, avocado, cashew cream, corn chips, green onion, etc

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Wash and dry potatoes but do not peel. Place onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and toss potatoes with oil. Sprinkle generously with sea salt, pepper, and a few pinches of chili powder.
2. Bake fries for 13-15 minutes at 425F. Flip potatoes and roast for another 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and pepper in the oil for about 7-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
4. Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans, cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste. Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to use, reheating just before serving.
5. Prepare your desired toppings.
6. Reheat bean mixture as fries come out of the oven. When fries are ready, place onto a large serving plate or you can serve it directly on the warm pan. Spoon on warm bean mixture (I had a cup or so leftover), followed by toppings like avocado, cilantro, tomatoes or salsa, fresh lime juice, cashew sour cream, green onions, and/or corn chips. Serve immediately. Store any leftover beans in the fridge for 1-3 days (they are great on wraps!).

Nutritional info

jenn April 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

looks delish! going to make this today!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 8, 2013 at 8:39 am

I love this idea! I made something similar using sweet potato waffle fries before (I cannot make myself like white potatoes). the sweet worked really well with the the spice and beans though! I may have to try this with SP wedges for dinner…

Emma @ a mom runs this town April 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Yum. You just gave me a craving for dinner – sweet potato waffle fries!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

These are so fun! Yum!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action April 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Wow! These look fantastic! I want to make them immediately.

And I definitely hear you about spring produce not quite peaking yet- I can’t wait for it to be July and all the amazing produce that just begs to be consumed.

Vibeke April 8, 2013 at 8:49 am

I am adding this to my weekend menu planner.
Oh, just for interest’s sake and so you can see the influence you have on my cooking, here is my meal plan for the week:

Sunday – http://www.forksoverknives.com/pasta-primavera/
Monday – http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/04/vegan-enchiladas-with-cilantro-avocado-cream-sauce-2/
Tuesday – Leftovers
Wednesday – http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/24/roasted-butternut-squash-with-kale-and-almond-pecan-parmesan/ with salad
Thursday – http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/02/smoky-apple-baked-beans.html and http://www.melangery.com/2012/01/red-cabbage-salad-with-carrots-apples.html
Friday – http://ohsheglows.com/2013/01/18/maple-baked-lentils-with-sweet-potato-healthy-comfort-food/

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

wait – you intend to have leftovers of the enchiladas? You might need a back up plan…hahah ;) Looks like a great menu – enjoy!!

Vibeke April 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

You were right to be skeptical, no leftovers. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2013 at 3:15 pm

hah well that’s a good problem to have I guess! We never do either.

Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com April 8, 2013 at 8:52 am

I would eat this for breakfast right now if I could! Delicious!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love me some nachos! I’ve never seen potato wedges used but great idea! This would make a great quick & easy dinner and they look so tasty!

Claire April 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hmm, potato wedges with nachos, great idea! I find sweet potatoes go great with my chili recipe with similar spices, so I’m sure this will be delicious. :)

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor April 8, 2013 at 8:57 am

I may have to make these for dinner since the nachos look so delicious and I have all the ingredients on hand.

Abby @ Change of Pace April 8, 2013 at 8:58 am

Thanks for this recipe! On Fridays I never feel like a wholesome, healthy meal.
I think this is just the trick I need to eat healthy while feeling like I’m not!

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? April 8, 2013 at 9:00 am

Totally making these tonight. And when my husband says, “You made popcorn for dinner two nights ago, and then nachos last night, and now nachos again tonight??” I’ll just say that these are DIFFERENT nachos, and that they’re healthy or something, and then he’ll eat them.

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day April 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

OH yum! This looks completely amazing, what a great idea! Alexia is one of my freelance design clients and their potato puffs are really delicious, I may have to give that a try!

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies April 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

I LOVE nachos, these sound like a more amazing (and definitely more healthy!) version of “Nacho Fries” that a late night diner used to serve when I was in college

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh April 8, 2013 at 9:12 am

You are a girl after my own heart! These look awesome and I know the Mr would be all over these bad boys! Another rockin’ masterpiece!

Angelica April 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

Looks delish, thanks!
BTW, I read your story recently and it’s been my inspiration to find my path! Thanks for sharing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013 at 9:40 am

I’m so happy to hear that, thank you for reading!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies April 8, 2013 at 9:14 am

This looks sooo amazing. My kind of treat. I had something similar last night with baked shoestring fries instead. So delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013 at 9:40 am

shoestring fries would be so good in this! I haven’t had those in ages. Same with the waffle fries that were mentioned above.

The Vegan Cookie Fairy April 8, 2013 at 9:17 am

WOOOOW. I wish I had a plate of this right now. This is one exciting dish! I never really grew up eating Mexican food but I think you’ve converted me. I would happily eat this every day.

Lillian @Seize the Latte April 8, 2013 at 9:33 am

Omigod, this looks amazing. I love the idea of using potato wedges in place of tortilla chips to give it a bit more heft, and I must say: as a Colorado native who’s married to a Texan, this would go over extraordinarily well in my house. :)

Laura Thomas April 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

This in between season has had me scratching my head to think of suitable recipes. I think you’ve hot the nail on the head with this. Looks fantastic, can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing! xx

Doug Sandquist April 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

I think i’m going to try this with Sweet Potatoes and some green chillies to the black beans, since my wife doesn’t eat white potatoes… looks great!

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green April 8, 2013 at 10:01 am

I’m a big fan of nachos.. like a big big fan. But potato nachos, wow! I’ll be making these this weekend.

Jenna April 8, 2013 at 10:05 am

Love the looks of this!

Rose April 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

This looks amazing!

DessertForTwo April 8, 2013 at 10:30 am

This is exactly the type of thing I like to make for lunch on the weekends. I plan almost every other meal for us, but then all of a sudden, it’s Saturday afternoon or Sunday after church and I’m without a plan! Easy veggie nachos to the rescue!

Thanks for this one ;)

Lindsay April 8, 2013 at 10:36 am

I’m no chef, but this looks like something I could definitely do!

kimmythevegan April 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

YUMMY!!!! This sounds oh so tasty Angela =)
I hope you find some nice, green & crispy asparagus soon ;p

Miche April 8, 2013 at 11:05 am

I was already defrosting some of your perfect veggie burger patties to make for dinner tonight when I spotted this lovely dish. I think I just might have to make extra oven baked fries so that we can eat this for dinner tomorrow night!

Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com April 8, 2013 at 11:16 am

Yum! Looks great- I’ve seen the potato nacho idea a few times and this recipe is really encouraging me to try it! Beautiful photos as always.

Gina April 8, 2013 at 11:42 am

Ummm this looks amazing. Why haven’t I thought of this idea? I shall make this this week. I’m thinking it might be really good with some pepper jack daiya. Thanks for this lovely meal idea. My husband will just love it!!

Hilda April 8, 2013 at 11:46 am

That looks delicious! Don’t have any black beans at home though, but I guess it could work with edamame beans too.
Btw, I made your perfect veggie burger yesterday and it was so good! I had it with guacamole and it was great. Actually made those with edamame beans, cause I didn’t have any black beans and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

One thing I love about you is your creativity with recipes. This looks delicious and I think it would be a great dish at a party!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} April 8, 2013 at 12:19 pm

This looks really good! Although I love anything Mexican themed and avocado related, he he. Potato wedges have been one of my recent favorites as well.

Gabriella April 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Awesome, a creative spin on nachos! I love all of your posts, they’re like a great movie—I never want them to end.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! April 8, 2013 at 12:24 pm

Simple, nutritious, and pretty too! I love when food looks like masterpiece! Can’t wait to try this out!

Krys April 8, 2013 at 12:26 pm

This sounds delicious. To make it more wholesome, I might consider a ground meat, veggies or not. But otherwise, thanks for sharing :)

meredith April 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I make this dish quite often for my son! We love it!

Ruta April 8, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Oh my god, it’s so pretty! All those bright colors are making me hungry, and I’m not even a huge nacho fan.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

A huge plate of nachos for dinner sounds perfect! I love the looks of this and the tomatoes and avo just make it pop! Right along with the great cashew cream drizzle!

xq April 8, 2013 at 3:04 pm

omg, yes please.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

This looks unbelievably delicious!! It is so great to be able to eat nachos that are vegan! Awesome idea :).

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen April 8, 2013 at 3:25 pm

Ugh, I seriously wish I was eating this for dinner tonight! I was feeling so uninspired for my meals this week, but I just might put this one on for next week!

Dani April 8, 2013 at 5:31 pm

That is one beautiful thrown together dinner! Lovely food photography and food styling as always :)

Lisa April 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Want, want, WANT! And I can’t wait for the asparagus to bulk up ;)

Heather @ Fit Mama Real Food April 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

That looks AMAZING! Potatoes > chips anytime

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 8, 2013 at 6:13 pm

What gorgeous photos!! These sound to die for. I only just experienced Alexia Sweet Potato Fries for the first time last week, but I haven’t heard about the puffs yet. I’ll have to investigate! :)

Katy @ Katy's Kitchen April 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I love how colourful this is! When the asparagus gets less wimpy, maybe I’ll throw that in too ;)

Jaclyn April 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I made this with sweet potatoes tonight because that is what I had and it was delicious! Thanks for another great one!

Sally April 8, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Made this tonight, was so so good! Thanks so much for the recipe, I had all of these things on hand!

Maria Tadic April 8, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I’ve never thought of using potato wedges in nachos. What a cool idea! Definitely will have to keep this in mind next time I make nachos!

McKel | Nutrition Stripped April 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I love your idea of using potato wedges instead of “standard” nacho chips, such an interesting twist Angela! ;)

Christa @ Edible Balance April 8, 2013 at 8:04 pm

So fun, so simple and so delicious looking! I love these kinds of recipes that are thrown together and end up a complete success :)

Picky Nicky April 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm

This is so my style :) And it looks like it would be a lot more filling than regular nachos!!!

Kim @ Cooking in the City April 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Yum- this would probably be amazing with your Green Goddess Dressing (I put that stuff on everything!)

Mary April 8, 2013 at 9:03 pm

These look delicious! I’m a weekday vegetarian and I’m always looking for great meat-free recipes. Can’t wait to try these!

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian April 8, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Another beautiful-looking dish. I could definitely devour this whole plate.

Colynn April 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm

YUM! Black beans and potatoes are almost always delicious together. Looks super delicious and comforting! Love the addition of avocado, tomatoes, and cashew cheese too. Hot sauce or sriracha would also be super yummy.

Carol April 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm

This looks delish! Can’t wait to make it.

Nutmeg Nanny April 8, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Oh my, this is too perfect! I love the use of potato wedges :) I bet this tastes divine!

Giovanna April 9, 2013 at 1:05 am

Had company tonite, so I prepare it with halved mini potatoes instead of wedges, was the perfect snack!

Sarah April 9, 2013 at 3:06 am

This looks divine!

I will be putting this one to the test this weekend.

Thanks for sharing.

:-)

Carrie April 9, 2013 at 5:44 am

Wow! This looks very delicious! YUM! You’re making me hungry :)

I want some!

Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen April 9, 2013 at 7:18 am

I can’t get over how genius this is! My husband is going to flip. Thinking of adding pickled jalapenos, radishes and quinoa to the fray.

Jamie April 9, 2013 at 8:08 am

This sounds AMAZING! I’ve been on a huge Mexican kick lately, so I’ll definitely be making this soon. Love the addition of potatoes!

Liz April 9, 2013 at 10:47 am

This savory dish looks absolutely comforting!

Sarah Newman April 9, 2013 at 11:37 am

OMG! my mouth is just dribbling looking at these photos. Now I know what I’ll be making for dinner tomorrow. This kids are going to love this. Many thanks for posting this fab recipe!

[email protected] Model Chef April 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

Wow super gorgeous colors and plating!

Moni @ {Meals Meals} April 9, 2013 at 11:43 am

Oh wow. This is my kind of meal – any time any day. Reminds me of my favorite nachos at a vegan restaurant. :-) This is also one of the best photos I’ve ever seen!
Yum.

Debbi April 9, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I made this last night for dinner. Delish! And, leftover for lunch at work. Can’t wait to make it again.

Jared April 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Angela this is an AWESOME recipe. Also some of the best food photography I’ve seen — ever. The colours are incredible!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Thanks Jared, you are too kind!

Alice G Patterson April 11, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I agree your photography is beautiful!

Lauren @ LaurenPhelpsCoaching April 9, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Yum! That looks amazing! How clever to use potato wedges instead of chips! I will definitely try this! Have a fabulous day!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 9, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Mmmm, this looks great! I made a Mexican-inspired potatoes au gratin once that was fabulous. (Except I called it potatoes au ‘gracias’ because I’m cheesy like that…) ;)

Emma @ a mom runs this town April 9, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Can I hire you as my personal chef?!

Jesse April 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Wonderful! I wonder if you’ve got any tips on using dried black beans? I have had no luck finding tinned black beans, but can get dry ones. I haven’t had much luck using them though!

Thanks,
Jesse

[email protected] April 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

You amaze me Angela, how you can make a beautiful food photograph with anything. Well done. I got sucked into the archives of your blog last night (and read all about you and your journey). All around you just have such an awesome thing here.

Also, I’m looking forward to meeting you at Vida Vegan Con! If you need a local’s advice on what you need to see in Portland, I’m here for you!

Laurie April 9, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious. When my daughter came in the door from dance, she said, “Mom, I can smell that from outside and it smells wonderful!” She and I got violently sick with a stomach virus last year, which happened to arrive on a night when we had eaten black beans, so we still can’t bring ourselves to eat them yet. I made ours with white kidney beans, and used the same toppings that you used. It was fantastic!

Katie April 9, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I was just talking about making my own “potachos” as they call them in our local pub. I think that it would be awesome to use “crashed potatoes” (small potatoes boiled, mashed down once, then baked). They are slightly flattened and get a crispy outside, so they would be nearly as easy to pick up as nacho chips. No to mention that the crispy outside and soft cooked inside is delicious!

Courtney April 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Great dish! I made it tonight and my brother and friend both loved it! Very yummy! Thanks!

Brieanna @ Going Brienanas April 10, 2013 at 7:31 am

These look amazing!! Who doesn’t love nachos : )

taylor @ taylormade April 10, 2013 at 10:05 am

oh my gosh, YUM! I desperately need to find a delicious-but-clean nacho recipe (because the real thing is my FAVE), and this could be it :)

LizW April 10, 2013 at 10:38 am

Made this for dinner last night and loved it!!!! Thanks for the great recipe :)

Alice G Patterson April 10, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I’m fairly new to both vegan cooking and your blog. This was the first of your recipes that I tried, and it was AMAZING! I didn’t have the nuts for the cashew cream, so I used a dollop of veganaise as a substitute and thought it was delicious. Looking forward to trying more of your creations.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2013 at 10:46 am

Hey Alice, Thanks for your comment! So glad you enjoyed it :)

LJ April 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Wait until you try the Taco Salad!! I am a very new vegan too. And all of the recipes I have tried on this site have made me feel like I am missing absolutely nothing. Actually I am enjoying my meals even more.
THANKS! ANGELA.

crystal troeger April 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Yum!

Stephanie April 10, 2013 at 8:45 pm

I started craving this as soon as I saw it. However, the only things I had for the recipe….black beans and garlic. My modified version with different veggies and potatoes was outstanding. I ate it all and regret nothing.

My tummy thanks you for your blog.

Mary April 11, 2013 at 1:14 am

We really enjoyed this recipe for supper tonight! I harvested my first batch of lettuce from the garden, and layers the ingredients over the lettuce. My husband was impressed with the cashew cream as a sour cream substitute1

Jen Doyle April 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I made this tonight for a couple guests and it got rave reviews! I have been following your blog for years and somehow manage to bring you and your blog in any situation- with coworkers, at the dentist, yoga class, french class, guitar lessons, anything haha! I am someone who jogs at a moderate pace a few times a week for a hour. But I’d like to learn how to train for a marathon of have some sort of structure in my runs. Something to encourage and give me that boost. How does one go about this?? Thank you…

Vegan Radhika Sarohia April 12, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Delicious!!
This post makes me miss the fall, I’m low-carb vegan girl and I make low-carb squash fries during that season :)

Tanya @ playful and hungry April 13, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yummy – this looks perfect!

Amelia April 13, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Ever since you posted this I have been craving something nacho/burrito like. Finally today when I got back from the gym I had time to really whip up what I wanted- threw together some black beans with seasonings, avocado, a vegan chipotle sauce, tomatoes, salsa, onions, lettuce, and cilantro on a whole wheat wrap and then got that nice and crispy on the george foreman. MAN it was good! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Denisse CIS 237 April 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm

this looks absolutely delicious!

Arminda April 14, 2013 at 10:54 am

Angela, these were ah-mazing. I absolutely loved the end result and posted my own experience here: http://yumveg.com/2013/04/black-bean-potato-nachos-with-cashew-cream/

Thanks for another lovely recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hey Arminda, Thank you so much for trying them out! So glad you all enjoyed them. I absolutely love your photo tutorial in your post. Nice work!

Arminda April 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Thanks for visiting, Angela!

Jennifer April 14, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I am definitely going to make this for supper tonight! The leftover black bean mixture would be delicious in quesadillas.

Laura April 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Oh my gosh. Sunday night dinner–used Alexia sweet potato fries. Soooo good! Thanks for this recipe. It will be one of our favorites!

Ayla April 15, 2013 at 8:21 am

I discovered that when making sweet potato fries, might work for wedgies too, it helps to soak them in water for 10 minutes and then toss them in corn flour, or a flour of your choice. I’ve only fried them this way but oh boy it makes super crispy fries!

Impo April 16, 2013 at 4:45 am

Just made this, it was incredible!

My supermarket had no black beans, but they had cans of mexican style beans, so I thought they’d do just fine!

Bought vine ripened tomatoes especially for this but forgot to use them, but it was still good with avocado and spring onions, and tortilla chips!

Will make this again and again! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Josée April 16, 2013 at 5:00 am

I made these last night and they were absolutely fabulous!! :)

Tiffany April 17, 2013 at 9:19 am

I definitely made this Monday and my parents fell in love with the flavor on the potatoes and ate them all before I could section off a portion for my lunch box! I used salsa instead of fresh tomatoes but regardless it was gorgeous when it was done. I really enjoyed this dish and as a result of not having enough potatoes I ended up bringing tortillas with my lunch the next day and having taco/burrito things. So tasty!! Awesome idea!!

Susanne April 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Made this on Saturday – it’s DELICIOUS! I didn’t have time to soak cashews, so I used Better Than Sour Cream. This one’s going on my “go to recipes” list!

Coral April 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm

WOW! I made this a few days ago and it was easy and fun to make. The flavors were fantastic and everything about it hit all the right spots. I used vegan sour cream instead of cashew cream and since I had run out of black beans, I used kidney beans. Still incredibly delicious!

Stella April 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

This was absolutely delicious! I mixed it up a bit with adding sweet potatoes, added a little bit of sweetness to the savory. Thanks so much, will be making this more often!

Michele May 1, 2013 at 8:58 am

Delicious! I substituted the black beans with kale.

musculatura May 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I love it, thanks for this!

Kiera May 6, 2013 at 10:16 am

Hey Angela!

My husband and I have been switching a good bit to vegan recently and this recipe was amazing. Seth(the hubby) made his famous guacamole which we put on top of this recipe. I was amazed at how quick the recipe was and so delicious. Of course it is the not the normal nachos but I think it is way above better. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. I will be making this again for sure!!
-Kiera

Laura T. May 8, 2013 at 7:09 am

This looks delicious! So happy to see tasty gluten free recipes like this :) I got a bunch of avocados in my veg delivery this week and need to use them, so this is ideal!

Nicole May 9, 2013 at 12:17 am

Can this be made without black beans, like can something be substituted in replace of it? I am allergic to all lentils/legumes, but this looks REALLY good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013 at 7:46 am

Hi Nicole!
What about a walnut taco meat? I have a couple on my blog that could work. :) Take a look at my raw taco salad.

Nicole May 10, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Just took a peek at it, and it looks perfect. I’m sure y friend will love it. Thank you!

nikki May 18, 2013 at 12:44 am

I tried this, it came out so amazing. DH loved it too. Thanks to you as this will be an addition to our family foods

Karyn May 19, 2013 at 4:35 am

I make “fake” sweet potato tempura sushi rolls using those Alexia sweet potato puffs!! They are amazing!

Summer` May 21, 2013 at 1:57 pm

This was quite delicious. I didn’t have enough regular potatoes, so I cut up a sweet potato to add in. I think I liked the sweet potato even better! We topped the potatoes with cut up Tofutti slices, avocado, tomatoes, and lots of fresh cilantro. Great recipe! I think next time we’re going to double it.

Craig Hitchens May 26, 2013 at 5:12 am

Awesome recepie! I liked it with Cashew cream myself. My wife did an avocado sauce which was pretty nice as well. :)
Craig

Michelle @ Michelle's tiny kitchen June 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm

We just had this for dinner, and added roasted broccoli along with the potato wedges, as well as some melted Nacho Teese. Honestly, it was one of our favorite dinners ever! We will definitely be playing with variations of this regularly!

Karyn June 4, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Finally made this tonight!! Soooo good! 3 and 5 year olds cleaned their plates!! So did all present adults.

Amy June 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Made this tonight…delicious!!! My toddler especially liked it…finger foods entertain him. If making the cashew cream to use about the quantity in the recipe photo, you’ll only need 1/4 – 1/2 of what the recipe makes. But, it’s so yummy, you might make the full amount and use throughout the week.

Savannah July 29, 2013 at 8:45 pm

This was the first recipe I’ve tried, and oh my goodness, it was amazing! My family wasn’t too thrilled that I was making a vegan dinner, but they were so happy once they tasted it. :) I will be trying another recipe tonight.

Kathy August 10, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Easily the most satisfying meal I’ve had in the six months I”ve been vegan-ing. THANK YOU!!!

Sunfood Junkies August 24, 2013 at 3:11 am

What a fantastic idea! Another recipe to add to my collection. Thank you Ang!! :)

Ella October 30, 2013 at 10:48 pm

Hi Angela! I just wanted to let you now that I made this for dinner tonight and it was SO delicious! The only change I made was using regular salt instead of sea salt (as we were out). Topped with medium pico de gallo salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, chopped carrots and sweet red peppers. Absolutely WONDERFUL! We used to make nachos by putting refried beans+cheddar cheese+tomatoes on corn tortilla chips and microwaving it… definitely not as healthy and honestly, nowhere near as delish as this recipe! Thank you so much!! This is definitely going to be a staple in our kitchen- I think I might try it with sweet potato this weekend! xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2013 at 10:41 am

Hey Ella, I’m so happy you loved it so much! Thanks for letting me know.

Alexandra Valentin January 12, 2014 at 3:05 pm

OMG! It was soooo delicious! I’m in culinary heaven <3

Corrin Radd January 26, 2014 at 8:18 pm

Great idea–made these today for the family.

Karen Barone February 12, 2014 at 9:27 pm

I made this for dinner and loved it! I had some cashew sour cream left over and wanted something to compliment it. The nacho’s were perfect! I love the coconut oil and other spices on the potatoes. We served it with avocado, green onions and jar salsa. very simple and delicious :~)

Deann March 4, 2014 at 6:31 pm

After seeing this post my family now has a version of this every week for dinner. We call it nacho fries. This recipe helps in my families transition to plant based. Ienstead of cream sauce I made a green sauce that I also use in base for hummus you just blend a handful of spinach with a whole jalapeno, red chili flakes, salt pepper to taste. Thank You for your recipes excited for your book :).

Carla March 8, 2014 at 10:24 am

Does the black bean skillet mix freeze well? Just curious for a quick dinner idea

Mychal July 15, 2014 at 9:04 am

I made this last night for supper and it was AWESOME! I did a double batch so we’d have leftovers, and it was so good that we decided we’d have those leftovers for supper tonight!
Angela, your blog is by far my favorite and I’ve never tried a recipe by you that wasn’t a hit – keep it up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2014 at 7:49 am

Thank you so much :) I’m so happy you enjoyed it!

Aria September 27, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hey i just had this recipe for dinner and it was so good! I did modify it a little though I put some bbq jack fruit and white corn salsa!

Dena February 3, 2015 at 2:06 pm

This dish was fabulous. I didn’t use oil on the potatoes and added corn. Love your cookbook. Great recipes and the pictures are stunning.

Robin February 10, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Yesterday, I made your “All Dressed Kale Chips” (wonderful, btw) and didn’t use all the seasoning mix (garlic and onion powders, nutritional yeast, chili powder, etc), so I added it to the potatoes in this recipe, but did the rest as written. YUM! Thanks for the great ideas!

Vanessa February 23, 2015 at 8:10 am

This was delicious! A total hit! I added white corn, because I love it, topped it with homemade salsa and homemade guacamole, it was great!

Tracy April 6, 2015 at 8:31 pm

I love how everyone writes a comment about how delicious the dish LOOKS! But I will tell you that this dish IS AS DELICIOUS AS IT LOOKS! Made it for dinner tonight and was very pleased.

Trista April 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm

This is soooo delicious! It’s become one of my go-to dinners because I always have the ingredients on hand and it’s quick to make :) Love it!

John December 8, 2016 at 3:24 pm

This is an awesome alternative to regular nachos and looks just as good! Using potatoes instead of chips is a great idea and really boosts the nutrition value of the dish. Thanks for the idea. I’ll have to share this with our clients!

Darina Kuzma December 21, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I made this and it was simple and delicious. Even my kids ate it and they don’t eat black beans. Will definitely make again.

Angela Liddon December 22, 2016 at 12:31 pm

I’m glad it was a hit with everyone, Darina! (Even despite their wariness of black beans, haha!)

Alica Pascua October 27, 2017 at 9:55 pm

Made this tonight for the family and it was a hit! It was the first time I’ve soaked cashews and made a sour cream with them–my husband was really impressed at the similarity to sour cream. Delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2017 at 6:37 am

Hey Alica, I’m so happy it was a hit!! Thanks for reminding me about this recipe, by the way. It’s been too long since I’ve made it and I think my kiddos will love it!