Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

potatoandblackbeannachos 3297   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

This is the meal to make when you have no idea what to make.

Or when winter is over, but spring produce still hasn’t peaked (I’m looking at you, wimpy asparagus!).

This is the meal to make when you just want to devour a huge plate of nachos and call it dinner.

potatoandblackbeannachos 3287   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

Or lunch. Breakfast. Snack. whatever!

First we need to make big, crispy potato wedges. Sweet potatoes are fine too, but they don’t get nearly as crispy and are kind of mushy when baked into big wedges. You could also use store-bought fries in a pinch. Eric is in love with Alexia’s Sweet Potato Puffs (have you tried those?) and insists they would be perfect in this recipe.

potatoandblackbeannachos 3264   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate potatoandblackbeannachos 3267   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate potatoandblackbeannachos 3299   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

While those are baking, sauté a simple skillet mixture of red onion, garlic, bell pepper, black beans, and seasonings.

Finally, layer on any toppings that tickle your fancy – I used avocado, cashew cream, green onion, tomatoes, and a squeeze of lime juice.

I dare you not to devour this.

potatoandblackbeannachos 3273   Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

Black Bean and Potato Nacho Plate

Email, text, or print this recipe

Yield: 3 servings

Potato Wedges:

2 medium Russet (baking) potatoes, sliced into wedges
1 tbsp grapeseed oil or melted coconut oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Few pinches of chili powder

Black Bean Skillet Mixture:

1/2 tbsp oil
1 cup chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 red sweet pepper, diced
1 (15-oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tsp ground cumin, or to taste
1 tsp chili powder, or to taste
Fine grain sea salt, to taste

Toppings: Tomatoes/salsa, cilantro, avocado, cashew cream, corn chips, green onion, etc

1. Preheat oven to 425F. Wash and dry potatoes but do not peel. Place onto a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper and toss potatoes with oil. Sprinkle generously with sea salt, pepper, and a few pinches of chili powder.
2. Bake fries for 13-15 minutes at 425F. Flip potatoes and roast for another 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and pepper in the oil for about 7-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
4. Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans, cumin, chili powder, and salt to taste. Continue to sauté for another 5 minutes. Set aside until ready to use, reheating just before serving.
5. Prepare your desired toppings.
6. Reheat bean mixture as fries come out of the oven. When fries are ready, place onto a large serving plate or you can serve it directly on the warm pan. Spoon on warm bean mixture (I had a cup or so leftover), followed by toppings like avocado, cilantro, tomatoes or salsa, fresh lime juice, cashew sour cream, green onions, and/or corn chips. Serve immediately. Store any leftover beans in the fridge for 1-3 days (they are great on wraps!).

Nutritional info

jenn April 8, 2013

looks delish! going to make this today!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 8, 2013

I love this idea! I made something similar using sweet potato waffle fries before (I cannot make myself like white potatoes). the sweet worked really well with the the spice and beans though! I may have to try this with SP wedges for dinner…

Emma @ a mom runs this town April 9, 2013

Yum. You just gave me a craving for dinner – sweet potato waffle fries!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar April 8, 2013

These are so fun! Yum!

Sarah @ Yogi in Action April 8, 2013

Wow! These look fantastic! I want to make them immediately.

And I definitely hear you about spring produce not quite peaking yet- I can’t wait for it to be July and all the amazing produce that just begs to be consumed.

Vibeke April 8, 2013
Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2013

wait – you intend to have leftovers of the enchiladas? You might need a back up plan…hahah ;) Looks like a great menu – enjoy!!

Vibeke April 9, 2013

You were right to be skeptical, no leftovers. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 9, 2013

hah well that’s a good problem to have I guess! We never do either.

Shannon @ moveeatcreate.wordpress.com April 8, 2013

I would eat this for breakfast right now if I could! Delicious!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 8, 2013

I love me some nachos! I’ve never seen potato wedges used but great idea! This would make a great quick & easy dinner and they look so tasty!

Claire April 8, 2013

Hmm, potato wedges with nachos, great idea! I find sweet potatoes go great with my chili recipe with similar spices, so I’m sure this will be delicious. :)

Ashley | Spoonful of Flavor April 8, 2013

I may have to make these for dinner since the nachos look so delicious and I have all the ingredients on hand.

Abby @ Change of Pace April 8, 2013

Thanks for this recipe! On Fridays I never feel like a wholesome, healthy meal.
I think this is just the trick I need to eat healthy while feeling like I’m not!

LisaR @ Who Stole My Baby? April 8, 2013

Totally making these tonight. And when my husband says, “You made popcorn for dinner two nights ago, and then nachos last night, and now nachos again tonight??” I’ll just say that these are DIFFERENT nachos, and that they’re healthy or something, and then he’ll eat them.

Mai-Lis @ A Sunshiny Day April 8, 2013

OH yum! This looks completely amazing, what a great idea! Alexia is one of my freelance design clients and their potato puffs are really delicious, I may have to give that a try!

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies April 8, 2013

I LOVE nachos, these sound like a more amazing (and definitely more healthy!) version of “Nacho Fries” that a late night diner used to serve when I was in college

Anele @ Success Along the Weigh April 8, 2013

You are a girl after my own heart! These look awesome and I know the Mr would be all over these bad boys! Another rockin’ masterpiece!

Angelica April 8, 2013

Looks delish, thanks!
BTW, I read your story recently and it’s been my inspiration to find my path! Thanks for sharing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that, thank you for reading!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies April 8, 2013

This looks sooo amazing. My kind of treat. I had something similar last night with baked shoestring fries instead. So delicious.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 8, 2013

shoestring fries would be so good in this! I haven’t had those in ages. Same with the waffle fries that were mentioned above.

The Vegan Cookie Fairy April 8, 2013

WOOOOW. I wish I had a plate of this right now. This is one exciting dish! I never really grew up eating Mexican food but I think you’ve converted me. I would happily eat this every day.

Lillian @Seize the Latte April 8, 2013

Omigod, this looks amazing. I love the idea of using potato wedges in place of tortilla chips to give it a bit more heft, and I must say: as a Colorado native who’s married to a Texan, this would go over extraordinarily well in my house. :)

Doug Sandquist April 8, 2013

I think i’m going to try this with Sweet Potatoes and some green chillies to the black beans, since my wife doesn’t eat white potatoes… looks great!

Laura Thomas April 8, 2013

This in between season has had me scratching my head to think of suitable recipes. I think you’ve hot the nail on the head with this. Looks fantastic, can’t wait to try. Thanks for sharing! xx

Christine @ Gotta Eat Green April 8, 2013

I’m a big fan of nachos.. like a big big fan. But potato nachos, wow! I’ll be making these this weekend.

Jenna April 8, 2013

Love the looks of this!

Rose April 8, 2013

This looks amazing!

DessertForTwo April 8, 2013

This is exactly the type of thing I like to make for lunch on the weekends. I plan almost every other meal for us, but then all of a sudden, it’s Saturday afternoon or Sunday after church and I’m without a plan! Easy veggie nachos to the rescue!

Thanks for this one ;)

Lindsay April 8, 2013

I’m no chef, but this looks like something I could definitely do!

kimmythevegan April 8, 2013

YUMMY!!!! This sounds oh so tasty Angela =)
I hope you find some nice, green & crispy asparagus soon ;p

Miche April 8, 2013

I was already defrosting some of your perfect veggie burger patties to make for dinner tonight when I spotted this lovely dish. I think I just might have to make extra oven baked fries so that we can eat this for dinner tomorrow night!

Alex @ Delicious-Knowledge.com April 8, 2013

Yum! Looks great- I’ve seen the potato nacho idea a few times and this recipe is really encouraging me to try it! Beautiful photos as always.

Gina April 8, 2013

Ummm this looks amazing. Why haven’t I thought of this idea? I shall make this this week. I’m thinking it might be really good with some pepper jack daiya. Thanks for this lovely meal idea. My husband will just love it!!

Hilda April 8, 2013

That looks delicious! Don’t have any black beans at home though, but I guess it could work with edamame beans too.
Btw, I made your perfect veggie burger yesterday and it was so good! I had it with guacamole and it was great. Actually made those with edamame beans, cause I didn’t have any black beans and it worked just fine.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Alex @ Raw Recovery April 8, 2013

One thing I love about you is your creativity with recipes. This looks delicious and I think it would be a great dish at a party!

Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} April 8, 2013

This looks really good! Although I love anything Mexican themed and avocado related, he he. Potato wedges have been one of my recent favorites as well.

Gabriella April 8, 2013

Awesome, a creative spin on nachos! I love all of your posts, they’re like a great movie—I never want them to end.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! April 8, 2013

Simple, nutritious, and pretty too! I love when food looks like masterpiece! Can’t wait to try this out!

Krys April 8, 2013

This sounds delicious. To make it more wholesome, I might consider a ground meat, veggies or not. But otherwise, thanks for sharing :)

meredith April 8, 2013

I make this dish quite often for my son! We love it!

Ruta April 8, 2013

Oh my god, it’s so pretty! All those bright colors are making me hungry, and I’m not even a huge nacho fan.

Averie @ Averie Cooks April 8, 2013

A huge plate of nachos for dinner sounds perfect! I love the looks of this and the tomatoes and avo just make it pop! Right along with the great cashew cream drizzle!

xq April 8, 2013

omg, yes please.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 8, 2013

This looks unbelievably delicious!! It is so great to be able to eat nachos that are vegan! Awesome idea :).

Page 1 of 41234»