Back On Track Green Monster (Banana-Free)

green monster-8139

Aside from my current career in the food business, many of you may not know that I also moonlight as a Barber. The job is not to be taken lightly as it requires a fine attention to detail and precision, something I have no place in assuming much skill. However, I’ve had some practice in this area with recipe development and I figure it’s always wise to develop a new skill set for the resume.

Every month, Eric calls me into the bathroom where I find him stripped down to his boxers with his Deluxe hair trimming set splayed about, clutching the large electric trimmer in one hand. This is when I transform into Barber Extraordinaire cutting his hair while catching up on the day’s gossip just like any good stylist would.

The most difficult aspect of this task is by far the point at which I have to trim the base of his hairline and make a very, very, very straight line. The first time I did it, I felt like I was trying to pipe a gingerbread cookie, my hands shaky and my pulse escalating. But now that I’ve been cutting his hair for over 10 years, I swear I could do it in my sleep. It’s really fool proof!!

"Looks good to me", I say with a nod then disappear from the room.

Except this time Eric returned home from work with some rather upsetting news.

"Pete had a good laugh today."

"Oh yea?"

"We were out for lunch and Pete gave a couple glances at the back of my hair. He said ‘Man, who cut your hair…Did you cut it yourself?’”

“I said ‘No, Ange did.’”

That’s when I piped in, “He loved it, right?”

“Then Pete said ‘Did you look at it? Man, you better go take a look at the back of your hair in the mirror. It’s so crooked it looks like a ski slope.’”

I took one look at Eric’s hair and it looked like a 2 year old set loose on it. Pete was right, I botched that cut almost worse than the time I cut off my best friends beautiful long hair as a 5 year old.

“Oh my Goooood. How did I…”

I burst out laughing and could not stop. Tears came, from laughing so hard.

“You’re fired.”

green monster-8125

I tell you, the first day back at the job (he was desperate), was rather anxiety-provoking. I trimmed that hair so straight you could’ve put a laser level on it and it would pass with flying colours. So far, no more comments from Pete, but I might have a few choice words for him next time he’s over.

As for our professional relationship, I’m happy to say that Eric and I have put this matter behind us.

green monster-8147

Thankfully, smoothies, do not require such precision and attention to detail; after all, I make them first thing in the morning when I’m still half asleep. I’ve only had a couple explosions so far.

This Green Monster is great for getting your healthy eating back on track after a series of indulgences. It sets your day on the right tone and instantly makes you feel ah-mazing. For the banana haters out there, you’ll be pleased to know that this one is banana-free. As with any smoothie, feel free to play around with the ingredients to suit your own taste buds. You might like more or less lemon, ginger, apple, etc.

green monster-8141

Back on Track Green Monster (Banana Free)

Email, print, or text this recipe

Yield: 3 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup kale
  • 1 large Gala apple (or other sweet apple), roughly chopped
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
  • Maple syrup, to taste (I used 1/2 tbsp or so)
  • 4-5 Ice cubes
  • Protein powder, optional

1. Place all ingredients except maple syrup and ice into a high-speed blender and blend on high until very smooth. Blend in ice and maple syrup to taste.

2. Guzzle.

3. Feel amazing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my readers in the US! I hope you have a fun, safe, and happy holiday weekend.

1 Lara November 22, 2012

Hi Angela! This looks delicious and I would like to try it soon. My only question is that there doesn’t seem to be a lot of liquid (i.e. no almond milk) in this smoothie. Does it blend/come together okay even without the extra liquid?

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I added a bit of coconut water to make it come together, but you can use water too! It should be in there now. Enjoy!

3 Wanderingi December 29, 2013

I don’t like cold drinks. How much water is needed to replace the ice? Love this whole list!!

4 Mommichka December 31, 2013

Hello, Wanderingi, I don’t like cold drinks either so I usually throw in a banana/yogurt for thickening. I would also probably use honey instead of maple syrup. Hope that helps.

5 Tanya @ playful and hungry November 24, 2012

If you have a strong mixer, like a vitamix, it will blend. You can add water or what ever liquid you like if you want it thinner though!

6 Emily June 5, 2013

It needs a bit of liquid if, like myself, you’re dealing with a 15+ y-o blender.

7 Heather November 22, 2012

I’ve only botched my husband’s hair once or twice but luckily it wasn’t too noticeable. Thank goodness he went to a barber for our wedding!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

hah I cut his hair for our wedding too. Now that was stressful!

9 kat November 22, 2012

I was sooooooo hoping you were sharing a secret that I could use for trimming my husband’s neckline. I hate to do that part!
Enjoy your day and I do SO thank you for this ‘back on track’ recipe! Got any more up your sleeve? :)

10 char eats greens November 22, 2012

I cut Tyler’s hair!! The first time I did I was nervous but also excited cause I had made sure to pay close attention to how the hairdresser did it. Right now though I’m boycotting cutting his hair until after the baby comes because he didn’t want me to highlight mine until then…so we both will look super special in baby’s first pictures haha.

11 Christa @ Edible Balance November 22, 2012

I am completely addicted to green smoothies. I’ve been guzzling them after my morning workouts for months now and can’t imagine a day without :)

I don’t think I could cut my husbands hair… my mom is a hair dresser and could probably teach me but I’d be too freaked out. Although now that he is growing out his hair, he refuses to even get it trimmed, LOL… I do love the curls so I won’t make him… yet. ;)

12 Rebecca November 22, 2012

Yay! Banana-free! So excited to try this out within the next couple of days :) delish

13 Alex @ Raw Recovery November 22, 2012

Hahahaha I adore your Eric stories. You got me hooked on Green Monsters about two years ago and I’ve never looked back, although every time I drink the green my friends and family give me a look. Sigh, the nonbelievers. They don’t understand. Can you make a Green Monster recipe to help boost your mood?? I would LOVE to see an emotional elixir type GM :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

you know I love a good challenge…I’ll have to see what I can do. Im thinking something citrus-y

15 Alex @ Raw Recovery November 22, 2012

Oooh that sounds delicious! I wonder if some vanilla would be nice in there too? But citrus scents are some of my favorite for aromatherapy mood boosters :)

16 Debby Abitz December 25, 2012

As far as a mood booster, I had heard that 2 handfuls of raw cashews equals a prozac. Maybe you could throw them in there as well?

17 Jaclyn T November 22, 2012

Oh, this was a good post! My dad gets Mom to cut his hair and this summer it was HIDEOUS on the back. I DIED. TEARS. Even now, I chuckle just thinking about it.

18 Geosomin November 22, 2012

This made me smile. My mum used to trim Dad’s hair and when he’d complain, her response would be “well you get what you pay for! ” :)

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I will have to use that next time! ;)

20 Eva November 22, 2012

That is hilarious! My bf always asked me to cut his hair and I totally understand what you mean by trying to get the back straight. The first (and last time) I tried cutting his hair my hand kinda slipped while I was trying to shave the back line and I shaved off a huge chunk in the back! He was not happy. PS- can’t wait to try this smoothie, I got sooo many people hooked on green monster smoothies, my bf can never start his day without one! Thank you for posting such awesome, reliable recipes!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Thank you for the kind feedback, I appreciate it! Hope you enjoy this one too.

22 CJ July 2, 2014

Gahhh!! My mum did the same thing to my dad – only it was a case of the buzz head falling off up top. So he had a destinct shave right down the middle of his head. Opps :)

23 laurie November 22, 2012

Thanks for the smoothie recipe. Just a question: why do you put coconut oil in your green smoothie?

24 sarah November 26, 2012

I would also like to know why. :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2012

For the health benefits and also for a bit of coconut flavour. My sis got me hooked on it.

26 laura January 15, 2015

I’ve tried adding coconut oil to cold smoothies and it always turns into little chunks during the blending process. Doesn’t incorporate well at all. Am I missing something here? Would like to add it successfully as it def adds a nutritional boost!

27 Rosemary October 20, 2014

Plus, coconut oil helps with absorption of nutrients in raw fruits and veggies! Learned this from Wise Woman Susun Weed… :)

28 Daniela November 22, 2012

Which trimmer set do you use? Do you recommend investing in a good clipper? I just starting cutting my partner’s hair, and was thinking about getting one of those hard core clippers by Oster, like the Classic 76 that has the metal heads. Or maybe the Fast Feed.

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I will have to go check the brand for you, but I think he got it from Costco?

30 Maria (skinwellness.ca) November 22, 2012

That is so funny! My friend assumed that because I am an esthetician MUST know how to cut hair (hint: NOT!), and I absolutely ruined it! It was so embarrassing for both, he didn’t want to show how upset he was and I was so angry at my self! I should have said no! hahahaa awww… felt so horrible! lol his curls poofed into a horrible triangular ‘fro..

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Oh man I can only imagine how difficult it is to cut curly hair! I have it easy just buzzing and trimming Eric’s hair.

32 Sarah @ Yogi in Action November 22, 2012

haha That story is awesome! I would be terrified to cut my boyfriend’s hair.

However, for Halloween he went as Tin Tin, so we died his regular black hair, to orange, and I was responsible for that. First we had to bleach it and then a few days later, add the orange. When his mom saw it (who use to be a hairdresser), she pulled me aside and was like, “What did you do to his hair?!” thinking that I had bleached it so badly that it had turned orange. Clearly my talent set does not include being a hairdresser.

I’m a wimp so have held out from trying green smoothies because I don’t want to have a gross breakfast. All these comments are bolstering up my courage though.. maybe tomorrow

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

I was trying to convince Eric to let me bleach his hair for Halloween a while ago. No dice yet…
I bet that orange was fun :) Did it wash out ok?

34 Sarah @ Yogi in Action November 22, 2012

We (unfortunately) used a permenant dye. And he made me wait a couple of weeks before he would let me re-dye it. So he just had really orange hair (with black roots) for a couple of weeks. Next time I would use a wash out colour!

35 Afton November 22, 2012

About two weeks ago, I started having your classic green monster for breakfast in the morning and I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I seriously go to bed at night excited to wake up and have my smoothie! Once the excitement of that one wears off, maybe I’ll try this new one :)

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

hah I love that you enjoy it so much! I get excited over them too :)

37 Melanie November 22, 2012

Great post and cute story :) I’m go glad I found your green monster site. I’ve been having one almost every day since the summer now and I love them! I haven’t tried one with kale yet, only baby spinach, but I think I’ll give it a go!

38 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 22, 2012

Love the barber and hair stories :)

And the light bouncing off these jars, the pretty green inside them, they look positively fabulous and healthy and green and good and just a good thing to have amidst all the holiday goodies!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Thanks Averie :) Happy Thanksgiving!

40 Maria November 22, 2012

Haha. My husband doesn’t let me near with scissors! Eric is such a trouper :)

I don’t really like bananas anymore (shocker, I know), yet I haven’t been able to make a good smoothie without one. Cannot wait to try this one!

41 Alexa November 22, 2012

this looks totally delicious !!!

42 Michelle W November 22, 2012

Thanks for posting this recipe! I’m allergic to bananas and finding banana-free healthy recipes is always a chore.

43 Julie R. November 27, 2012

Also allergic to bananas here (raw ones, can eat cooked ones like in banana bread and such), and became discouraged when I recently became interested in trying green monsters and realized most recipes have bananas in them! Excited when I saw this recipe. I am hoping to get a vitamix in the next few months (maybe Christmas?!) so I can really do decent green monsters with kale and other hard to blend things. My little blender is barely cutting it with spinach! Hope to find more no-banana recipes like this. Thanks for the recipe, Angela!

44 Jennie December 26, 2012

I used to get debilitating migraines so bad until someone told me to try cutting out uncooked bananas. I did and voila…..no more headaches. I am now so fearful of uncooked bananas. Anyway, I want to make more smoothies but I miss the banana texture and sweetness. Have you found any more smoothie recipes that are sweet and satisfying but do not have bananas in them? Thanks!!! :-)

45 ashley January 5, 2013

I wonder if avocado would mimic the banana texture?

46 Jennie January 22, 2013

I will give avocado a try. Good idea :-)

47 Fit Missy November 22, 2012

Will try to make this but worried my blender won’t handle the kale.

48 Rajvinder Kaur November 22, 2012

OMG! I trim my husband’s hair too sometimes and once my hands trembled so much that instead of a trim, he had a whole new “style” afterwards. Haha!

I make my smoothies using Kale, Water, Chai seeds, and bananas. I will add coconut oil next time…

49 Melissa@American Girl in Jordan November 22, 2012

Funny story! I will never cut my husband’s hair. When he was younger, he was a barber, and he is so particular about his hair. I also make him cut our 2 sons’ hair. Why pay for a cut, when I have his talent at home!
BTW, a green monster sounds great right about…..NOW!

50 Nicole Marie Story November 22, 2012

This made me laugh so hard because although I don’t have a hubaroo, I do have a precious little duchess of a dog… and last winter? She jumped onto a park bench, sitting in gum! Gum on le Bum! And because I was impatient with the old home remedies of peanut butter, ice, etcetera; I snipped it off! And her bottom flaunted an uneven cut for a few months. :)

51 osgmom November 22, 2012

I will never forget that day you decided to begin your Hair Styling career at the early age of 4!! I answered the door to see a very unhappy Mom standing with her daughter beside her. Carrie’s long blonde locks cut off by the hands of a very creative little girl (we won’t mention names) who decided that her playmate should have a new look ;) Although it wasn’t funny at that moment, it sure is now!!

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

hahah I don’t remember much from 4 years old, but I do remember bits and pieces of that event!

53 Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar November 22, 2012

You know, I’ve never made a smoothie without banana before! I find it adds creaminess, but I’ll definitely give this a try :)

54 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 22, 2012

I guess there is a good reason that my brother refuses to let my mom cut his hair!

55 Kimmy November 22, 2012

Oh dear… your barber story is pretty cute. Pete was probably the only one that noticed anyway. Guys aren’t as observant as we are ;p
This smoothie looks great! I quite like bananas, but am looking forward to trying this out!

56 Becky November 22, 2012

Hi Angela, cute story! I didn’t see any liquid added in the ingredients list. How much did you add? Thanks!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

1/2 cup coconut water (or just use water) :)

58 Janine November 22, 2012

Oh, the joys of cutting hair… With a clipper the cut isn’t too bad, it’s the clean-up that frustrates me more!

59 Laura November 22, 2012

Glad to hear I’m not the only person who cuts their husbands hair, whilst said husband is only in boxers :)

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

hahah ;)

61 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 22, 2012

That hair cutting story is brilliant :)

This green monster is also deserving of its monster title – serious nutrition in a glass!

62 Stacey November 22, 2012

Hi Angela,

Do you use a specific juicer or smoothie machine? Looking to invest in a good one.

Thanks,
Stacey

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hey Stacey, I own a Vitamix (after years of blenders breaking on me) a great investment!

64 Joann @ Woman in Real Life November 22, 2012

Great smoothie and a great story! You are a brave woman. I wouldn’t even attempt the hair cutting. :)

65 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 22, 2012

Hehehe great story Ange!! I used to trim my own bangs but that definitely has a larger margin for error than a guy’s hairline! I have to say, every time I’ve seen Eric, things have looked pretty straight, so I’d say you’re decent at your night job! ;) This green monster sounds so so good, especially the ginger and apple part! I’ve been juicing tons lately and ginger has been added to everything!

66 Sarah L. November 22, 2012

Hahahahaha I just read this aloud to my partner and he just rolled his eyes at me. I’ve cut his hair a few times, but most of the time when he needs it he doesn’t wait for me and does it himself – and he looks like Alfalfa. :D I’d rather him mess up his hair than me, though!

This GM looks awesome, I’ll have to try it! A change from my usual banana mango. :)

67 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy November 22, 2012

I am generally not a smoothie girl, but this actually was really good!! The no banana gives it a way different taste from other smoothies!

68 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner November 22, 2012

What a gorgeous green color!!! Green smoothies always make me feel vibrant and more alive inside and out! :D

69 Meghan November 23, 2012

hey! I resent that banana hating comment. I have a wax food allergy. Bananas and I wish we were friends, but were not. I’m excited to try this though!

70 Katie November 23, 2012

Oh geeze. I’ve been cutting my husband’s hair for about that long as well, and luckily most of the mishaps have been his fault (he does the front, I do the back) not mine. This smoothie looks great – I wish I had read this a few hours ago as the husband took the last banana this morning which was supposed to be for my green smoothie! And let me tell you, frozen spinach, strawberries, and yoghurt isn’t so good without the banana. I’ll be trying this next time, thanks for the recipe!

71 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 23, 2012

Oh my gosh that is so funny!! I have cut my Husbands hair from time to time and he always tells me I do it lope sided. lol, I can’t make a straight line on anything no matter how hard I try, whether it’s drawing, gardening, cutting fabric, cutting out cookies, or cutting hair. So odd! Sorry for the rambling! The Back on Track Green Monster drink sounds amazing!!

72 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 23, 2012

Haha that’s too funny! I’ve never tried cutting someone else’s hair because one time in third grade I wanted bangs, so I cut some for myself and obviously they turned out terrible! I haven’t trusted myself around hair since then. :P

73 Lauren November 23, 2012

Hahaha, this post had me laughing because I used to cut my husband’s hair as well, and I believe he had the same scenario happen where a work buddy pointed out my craftsmanship (or lack thereof). He now shaves his head, and I don’t have to worry about it, although he tries to even get me to do that for him!

I love that there are no bananas in this smoothie. My daughter is allergic, and I can often feel the effects of too much sugar if I eat them consistently. :-)

74 Carissa November 23, 2012

I cut my husband’s hair, too. There was a sketchy time in there after I accidentally cut his ear… We use a sheet to cover him & catch hair – it now has a bloodstain that won’t come out, a constant reminder of what I did! But he still let’s me cut it. Brave man.

75 Laura November 23, 2012

Just made this . . . I forgot how much I loved ginger in smoothies. Thanks and have a great weekend:)

76 Colleen (www.fresh-you.com) November 23, 2012

Hi Angela!
This was funny! My hubby usually cuts his own, but occasionally he’s had me do that straight line in the back — nerve racking!! This smoothie sounds similar to the one I make — it’s the Dr Oz Green Drink — kale would be a good substitute when I’m out of spinach! Anyway, I LOVE YOUR website!!!!!!! No wonder you’re so popular!!! I’ve seen links in a million places to you, but I finally got to checking it out and I’ve already found 10+ recipes that all seem like ones I MUST try! Amazing that you were posting 3x a day for at least a year (maybe it was much more?!) !!! You’re very creative and entertaining and I really admire your work!!! As a person with a passion for helping people be healthier, I thank you for spreading SO much health around the world!!!! Hope you’re enjoying your day! And if you care to, I would love if you stop by http://www.fresh-you.com to see my humble little site of nutrition and wellness! Take care! I’ll be back soon AND OFTEN!!!!
Sincerely,
Colleen :)

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Hey Colleen, Thank you so much for leaving me such a lovely comment! I’m so happy to hear you enjoy the blog. I will be sure to check out your site!

78 Shari W November 23, 2012

What kind of coconut oil do you prefer to use?

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

I use one from Costco – it’s organic cold-pressed unrefined.

80 Lia November 23, 2012

I’m always looking for banana free smoothie ideas because sometimes you just start to feel like you eat way too many bananas. At least I do. Thanks for this! I also do haircuts mostly for the men in my life, and I’m always terrified of the back too!! And around the ears. Glad you sorted the line out ;)

81 Stephanie November 23, 2012

that looks so good. I’m craving a green smoothie now!

82 Nat November 24, 2012

have you heard about making your own VEGAN BUTTER?

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Yes!! I have been meaning to try it out :) So fun

84 Robyn November 24, 2012

Just made this after an awesome leisurely 13 K , gorgeous run…I too added fresh coconut water…I use to hairdress,,,now I only get stuck with one gorwn kid(he doesn’t like to spend the $$ on an actual hairdresser) and the hubby,,,hair every where,,,then I feel like I have to clean the whole house!

85 Amber from Slim Pickin's Kitchen November 24, 2012

Bwahahahahaaahaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I laughed hysterically when I read this! I was actually just talking to my sis-in-law earlier this evening about how I cut my hubs hair too. I am totally with you when it came to the first time…I was terrified. I was so frickin’ scared I was going to hurt him I about had a heart attack. Luckily, we haven’t had any mishaps yet…but it would be kinda funny if we did! ;)

86 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2012

Best of luck to you….hahah

87 kaylee November 25, 2012

Hi, Angela! I always love to see your blog!
My sister doesn’t like banana, so I’m going to try this one ;)

88 Liz November 25, 2012

I have been using Kale in my smoothies for about a year now. I always feel like I am have a super health drink when I do this. I am sure it is healthy, but I like the mental feeling I get, if that makes since. Of course yours looks way better than mine, so I will have to give it a try. :)

89 Sonal November 25, 2012

Hahaha poor Eric! But they always come back…;) I love my green monsters with banana, definitely not a hater!

90 Cindy November 25, 2012

Can’t wait to try this. Is this a serving for one? Or more?

91 Amber @ Busy, Bold, Blessed November 25, 2012

My boyfriend has super curly hair, I will NOT be cutting it any time soon haha.

I definitely need to get back on track after the holiday weekend! I recently tried kale for the first time and liked it, but still haven’t put it in a green smoothie. Need to do this soon!

92 kaity @ kaityscooking November 25, 2012

yummm i get a juice from this local cafe thats apple kale ginger and lemon and its uhhhmazing! i cant wait to make this!

93 Radhika Sarohia November 26, 2012

Guzzle and feel amazing, awesome

P.S. I cut my own hair and it looks horrendous haha

94 Laurie November 26, 2012

This is great!! I used spinach instead of the kale, and I used extra spinach because I didn’t have any cucumbers on hand. I also added 1 fresh pineapple core, used honey instead of the maple syrup, and ground ginger because i didn’t have fresh, and added some cayenne pepper! I also added water to this. Invigorating!

95 Jeannie November 26, 2012

Hi, is that a glass straw in your smoothie? Do you mind telling me where you found it and whether you like it (is it durable)? I’ve been on the hunt for one. thanks!

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

Hey Jeannie, It’s from an online company called Glass D’harma. I love them! I have had one break on me before (it was dropped) but the company replaced it for me. If you are fairly gentle with them, it shouldn’t be an issue. I like that it isn’t plastic. Just be sure to rinse them with water right after using or the smoothies can harden on the inside. I rinse with water and then pop them into the dishwasher.

97 Dawn November 27, 2012

I just made this for breakfast and it was WONDERFUL!! I’m just about to make up a big batch of the detox salad. Thank you so much for your wonderful blog and for sharing all of your fabulous recipes.

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

Thank you for trying out the recipes! :)

99 Caitlin Riley November 27, 2012

Hi Angela!

I’ve been neglecting my body and my health overall in recent months and I really need to get back on track. Being a single mother who works full-time, I’ve been seeking out quick breakfast options for myself and your Green Monster sounds ideal! My only concern is the English cucumber. I personally have a very difficult time digesting cucumber in any form; how necessary is the cucumber to the recipe? Or do you have any suggestion for a substitution? Any help you could offer me would be awesome! Thanks!

Oh, and I discovered your blog just today and I can’t stop playing around on here! You’re an inspiration :)

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 27, 2012

Hey Caitlin, I use the cucumber mainly as a filler in the smoothie due to its high water content and fairly neutral flavour. You could probably sub coconut water or another high water veggie. goodluck!

101 Cacau Correa November 28, 2012

Angela,
Do you think it is OK to freeze the smoothie?
I was thinking if that would work … so I could make a batch sunday night and have it in the office every morning …

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012

I’m not sure, but it might be worth a shot. I would try just a single serving to test it in case it doesnt work. Let me know how it goes!

103 Trina November 28, 2012

I’ve been lurking for years and had to comment. First of all, I think you are a food genius. I have lost over 20lbs using your various recepies. I made the banana free green monster and it was DELICIOUS. Even though I love banana’s sometimes I want to cut back on the calories from them and didn’t think I would enjoy a smoothie without one. I substituted protein powder with greek yogurt and added Vanilla Stevia instead of Maple Syrup. Thanks again.

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2012

Hey Trina, Congrats on your weight loss! Good for you. Thanks so much for your lovely comment. All my best.

105 Dheana November 28, 2012

First of all, your photos are GORGEOUS! I just found your site and am totally hooked!
I’ve been drinking green smoothies for a couple of years and just this week thought I’d try them without the banana. Love bananas but variety is good. The addition of the apple is enticing – I can’t wait to try it.
Your story – too funny. I’m thankful my hubby shaves his head. I did try trimming his beard though once, slipped and gave him a bald spot. Oops! :)
BTW, is that a glass straw?

106 Stephanie November 29, 2012

Guzzling my green monster as I type. Actually, my 2 yr old is as well, and is sporting a very yummy and very green moustache! Thank you, thank you, thank you for a banana free recipe! It is delish!

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 30, 2012

Thats great!! Thanks for letting me know

108 Audra December 2, 2012

A. I love your blog and have been experimenting with your recipes a lot lately.
B. Your story about ski sloping your husbands head made me laugh so hard I cried a little bit.

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 2, 2012

hah you are sweet! I will have to do that to Eric’s hair more often then…muhauau

110 alana December 3, 2012

I’ve left the banana out before (because I realized too late that I was out of them) and I realized it seemed to be the key to making a green smoothie tasty – without the banana all I could taste was spinach, lol, I’m excited to try this version!

111 Alex December 10, 2012

hi angela, i love the idea of your green monsters but for me here in australia Kale is virtually non existant, and moreso, apples are a major no-no for me (along with all other stonefruits, my IBS-sy stomach just can’t handle them) what are your best substitutes?

112 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012

Hi Alex, you could try spinach or chard?

113 Brigitte December 12, 2012

HI
I was wondering if you can make this the night before, will it be still good?? I tend to make my smoothies the night before as not to wake the house up since i leave really to go to work??

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Yes Im sure you can. Just place it in a sealed container in the fridge and give it a good stir in the morning before drinking :)

115 Beverly December 13, 2012

So happy to see a banana free smoothie!! I am allergic to bananas and pretty much every healthy smoothie has them in it! Thanks!

116 Ayla Perry December 18, 2012

Hi,

Just wondering if Spinach would work for the “back on track green monster” smoothie? Where I’m from it’s hard to get kale outside of its season.

thanks!,

Ayla

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2012

Yes it certainly would work! Enjoy :)

118 Cecily December 28, 2012

I’m new to Green Monsters, but plan on doing a 3 day detox after the new year. I want to incorporate these as a regular morning meal. Do you drink all 3 cups in 1 serving? Or is it 1 cup per serving? Thanks!

119 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 28, 2012

Yes I usually drink the entire thing….love em too much not too ;) enjoy

120 Christine January 5, 2013

Angela, just made the green monster today using this recipe. Best green monster recipe I’ve ever made!!! The ginger was such a nice addition. My 6 year old liked it but only when I made it without the ginger, which he thinks is too spicy. This is going to be a regular on my weeky menu, thank you!!!

121 Cara January 14, 2013

Could honey be used instead of maple syrup? Not much of a maple syrup fan…

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2013

I cant see why not! Enjoy

123 Agnes January 15, 2013

I just tried this smoothie and either I did something wrong or this just isn’t my kind of smoothie. It came out very … thick. Is this normal? The consistency is almost like celery after it’s been chewed: fibrous and watery, whereas I’m used to smoothies being slightly thick but not so much that I need to chew them.
The only thing I did not add was the protein powder. Would that help? Or am I just the odd lamb out and perhaps I’ll never experience the joys of green smoothie pastures.

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2013

Hi Agnes, hmm….mine was not very thick at all so Im not sure why. Did you make any changes to the recipe? Does your blender normally have a hard time blending things like kale very smooth?

125 Agnes January 17, 2013

I haven’t really had problems with my blender (even though it isn’t one of the top ones). After looking at other green smoothie recipes, I’m wondering if the order of blending might have something to do with it. Perhaps I’ll try again blending each of the ingredients separately.
Thank you!

126 Laura January 18, 2013

Thanks for this! I’m allergic to bananas, and it’s difficult to find smoothie recipes that don’t have them (understandable as they’re delicious, and thickening).

127 Meri January 20, 2013

Earlier your Green Monster included chia seeds & lemon grass powder. Which of these is causing the (most) laxative effect? These are delish but I found out I need to stay near home. Yipes! Will this effect decrease?

128 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Yipes indeed! hah. It could be the chia seeds. I`ve never tried lemon grass powder before though, so I would read up on that too. Better luck next time!

129 Ashley January 25, 2013

Laughing out load as this exact thing takes place in our home as well! Great smoothie too.

130 Ashley January 25, 2013

oops! laughing out LOUD

131 Carolyn January 29, 2013

Very light and refreshing. Thanks for this really clean smoothie recipe!

132 Rachael February 22, 2013

Thank you for making this!! I am allergic to banana’s and have been looking for a good mix without them! :D

133 aneliese (the veggie whisperer) March 12, 2013

This looks amazing! It looks like a delicious way to get your veggies! Can you substitute kale for spinach? I know you can do that with the classic Green Monster, but will it work in this banana-free recipe? Thanks!

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2013

Im sure you can, just add a small amount at first to make sure it’s not overpowering :)

135 JP April 6, 2013

This looks beautiful! I make a similar smoothie with spinach and avocado, but I always include half a banana. On another note, do you mind sharing where you got those straws?!

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2013

The glass straws are from a company called Glass D’harma :)

137 Tine April 17, 2013

Thanks for sharing this non-banana recipe! I used spinach in stead of kale and it tastes good!

138 Sara May 15, 2013

Hi Angela, I’ve discovered your blog a couple of months ago and I can only say I’m over the moon about all the wonderful recipes and inspiration you provide. I’ve tried already a couple of recipes and they were all delicious. I have some little concerns that I hope you can help me with, maybe with some useful advice. I’ve changed my alimentation recently to get rid of extra weight and some painful health problems and so far it has worked wonders for me, but it is limited (reduced amounts of fish and meat, all the veggies and fruit I want, fatty acids and vitamin d supplements, no wheat, no dairy, no sugars, no sausages/cold cuts). I don’t sport (if you don’t count house chores, running after the children, biking in the city and the occasional walks in the office and in the park) and I wonder if I may be intaking too many calories without being able to burn any. This shake seems great, I guess I can try it without the protein powder too, right? Things like peanut butter, I saw some amazing dishes here…aren’t they very caloric? This kind of doubts I have…I really hope you can help, I am drooling with all these recipes…

139 Sara May 15, 2013

A little clarification: the doubt about the calories intake is related to some totally yummie recipes here, not to everything I eat nor to all your recipes . Also, I try not to have any kind of yeast and some of your recipes have some form of baking soda or other means, some contain nutritional yeast, which I’m also not sure if I can use or not. Again, thank you for the great food!

140 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 17, 2013

Hi Sara, Thanks for your comment! I now post the nutritional info with my new recipes (I started doing this a couple months ago or a bit longer which is why old recipes don’t have the info), so I hope this will help guide you with your own efforts. I use a program called Calorie Count for my blog recipes – it’s a free program that let’s you calculate the nutritional info. Check it out if that’s of interest to you. I don’t count calories in my diet, but I can see how this is helpful for some. Good luck and thanks for reading!

141 Sara May 19, 2013

Hi Angela, thank you very much, I will try to check it out, although I’ll need help from my nutritionist I guess, I don’t count calories either, nor I have a limit for them, I really just changed my alimentation, its patterns and the size of my portions, which were of male-Dutch size! My concern about the calores has more to do with the fact I’m a sweet tooth and an emotional eater than the calories per se, if I start eating sweet things (bread,cakes,cookies, nutella etc.) I won’t stop, it was my main problem, comfort eating at all times paired with a sedentary job…disaster! All your recipes make me want to cook and to eat, yesterday for instance I tried the millet-lentils-avocado-basicl pesto salad but I used spelt eliche pasta instead (delish!), I think I just have to space the sweet recipes well and it will be fine. Stress and guilt do more disasters for your body and your weight than anything else, so I’ll enjoy all I try! Today I’ll give a go to the mint green monster I think :-)

142 Judy May 17, 2013

Thanks for the recipe! The coconut oil doesn’t harden from the ice and cold liquid?

143 Alison October 27, 2013

Just tried this recipe and loved the kick of ginger! Because I don’t have a proper blender (just an attachment with my Magimix) I found it wasn’t as smooth as I would like it. Would you recommend chopping the kale finer, or maybe blending the kale/ fruit before adding the liquid? Any suggestions would be great. Love this blog!

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hey Alison, Thanks for your kind words! Unfortunately, with kale, you really do need a high-speed blender (such as a Vitamix) to get the kale super smooth. Otherwise, I suggest using spinach as a replacement as it blends up a lot easier than kale. Enjoy & good luck!

145 Willow November 1, 2013

Haha! I have never cut anyone’s hair before (except my own, once, when I was five or six years old). I don’t think I would trust myself to do a good job — I wouldn’t even know where to begin!

As for making smoothies, though, that’s something I can get on board with. Love green smoothies, and it’s been way too long since I’ve had one. Yum!

146 Kiara November 1, 2013

the pictures are fantastic! and the recipes are really great and original!

147 Aryn November 3, 2013

Just tried this smoothie and it was delicious! The only modification I made was that I added some frozen pineapple chunks (Yum!). Thanks for the recipe :)

148 Adriana Guzman December 10, 2013

Hi Angela!

I love this one! So refreshing. After a lot of experimentation, I’ve found that my favorite way to make a green monster is with kale, soy milk, frozen mango, frozen peach, cinnamon, vanilla, almond butter, and chia seeds. :)

149 Kelly December 10, 2013

Can’t wait to try this and I’m sending the recipe to my MIL who doesn’t like bananas.

150 Sheena Larsen December 10, 2013

One of my favorite smoothies right now I like to call Upbeet. Recipe below:

Four 1″ cubes of beets
One 1″ cube of fresh ginger
6-8 fresh mint leaves
6-8 fresh basil leaves
1/2 lemon
1 orange
6 ice cubes
4-6 baby carrots (optional)

Blend together in a high speed blender and ENJOY!

151 Courtenay Rannard December 10, 2013

One of the first vegan recipes I made was the Classic Green Monster smoothie. I loved that it was packed full of nutrients but still tasted amazing. One of my staple vegan recipes to date!

152 Mike Middelkoop December 10, 2013

Quick question, do you peel your ginger before throwing it in the vitamix?
Thanks, great blog by the way.

153 Tanya Ebach December 13, 2013

I LOVE YOUR BLOG! I cannot get off of it. Thanks so much for your hard work. I noticed you use maple syrup primarily as a sweetener, do you ever use agave?

154 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 13, 2013

Yes I do sometimes (mainly when I dont want the maple flavour to come though)

Thanks for your kind words!

155 Jack December 28, 2013

My wife thinks she is a hairdresser. She is an accountant. I have little to no temper. I don’t get mad. She would say I pout. However I become very angry if anyone messes with the cuteness of our three kids. They are grown now. Both boys cut their own hair too short. Our daughter is a diva and makes up for our families lack of supporting the hair design community. When our handsome middle child was playing football his wonderful curls stuck out from under his helmet. He was not comfortable from the attention from the girls. My wife cut his hair and couldn’t get it straight. He ended up looking like Slingblade. I took her clippers and through them in the river.
You really know how to name a recipe.

156 sara December 31, 2013

How cool, I actually have a very similar green smoothie recipe! I also do not like bananas, breplt does add a bit of something to smoothies. I have found the best texture replacements are avocados or oatmeal. Hope that helps – also, Bob’s Red Mill sells a gluten free oatmeal for those on the GF diet :)

157 Tiana Gustafson December 31, 2013

Thank you so much for this amazing looking recipe! I love healthy recipes and I will look forward to trying it out and sharing it with my followers at TianaGustafson.com. As Arnold says “I’ll be back” :) Thanks again!

158 Kristine January 1, 2014

Great way to start the New Year, so had it for breakfast today. Delicious.

159 Cindy January 3, 2014

Hi there! Love, love your recipes! Have you ever added protein powder to your green monster smoothie? I have been making a green smoothie for breakfast for 7 months now, I’ve lost 75 lbs, I’ve been doing Advocare along with a very clean diet, pretty much a mix of Paleo and gluten free, and I’m always looking fir new smoothie recipes. My current one is 1 cup water, 2 cups spinach, 1scoop protein powder, 8 ice cubes, 1 packet stevia. I would love some new ideas.

160 Melissa January 3, 2014

This sounds great and i can’t wait to try it! A question- Is 3 cups the serving size or does this make multiple servings?

161 Kathleen January 5, 2014

Just found this post and got a fun laugh out of it as I both cut my husband’s hair and drink green drinks. Great photos!

162 Emily January 7, 2014

Hello –

Would this be okay without the maple syrup? I’m doing the Whole30 challenge and although smoothies are technically not recommended I’m incorportaing a few because I’m a vegetarian and often need extra protein and sides with my meal to keep me full. The syrup is the only ingredient that is not Whole30 compliant.

Thanks!

163 nancystrong January 10, 2014

Go green. I’ll drink anything green. Mmmmm. Powerful. Remember citrus disables phyto’s. Sugar interferes with nutrient absorption.

164 Confused January 10, 2014

So, our paleo ancestors had blenders? (And didn’t care about getting fiber by eating whole plants, rather than pulverizing them.)

165 Pari January 24, 2014

One of my favorites!!

166 Katie January 29, 2014

Is this to make one serving? 3 cups?

167 debbie stevenson January 30, 2014

angela I am not much for oil, could I do flax oil or seeds in this for the same effect.

168 nicole January 30, 2014

OMG can I just say that this EXACT thing happened to me and my husband last monthly! We just got married 4 months ago, so I’m still getting used to it! Thanks for making me feel better :)

169 Georgina Rodrigues January 30, 2014

I love the Green monster, especially that it does not have banana, as I feel uncomfortable after the banana, I can add half a avocado and I like the coconut oil bit as I have dry skin, and add some cashews too and water for a looser texture, fills me up and I feel so energetic, thanks
As for cutting hair, I cut all my family’s hair but nobody to cut mine so I pay 60.00 dollars for a hair cut , but he is the greatest hairdresser I have had for over 20 years, and that is every four weeks as my hair is thick and grows so fast.

170 Kate from Food from our Life February 1, 2014

Love it, I too occupy the part time barber – Hubby has the exact same requirements of a straighter than straight back of the neck hair line! Great recipe too

171 nidhi March 24, 2014

Hi,

I came across your blog about 2 years ago when I was wanting to loose some weight and looking for healthy recipies. I checked your blog regularly but never made any of the recipeies.

I did loose weight and became fit by exercising and eating only homemade food (staple north indian food) and now I am fit. But I want to progress to being my fitest, which is around 6.9kg lower than current weight and run a marathon( I already did a half marathon) and also have a flat belly, so some changes in food are needed, as I was slowly moving to my munchine habits again.

Long story short, I decided to try your green monster, went to shoping mall and got most indegrients and I made it yesterday. I cannot believe it was tasty! A little different as I am not used to the taste of Kale, but it was so much better than what I thought.

Now I’m going to have a green monster everyday after my workout with some soy protein in it.

Will try some other quick recipies too… :)

172 Jess April 1, 2014

Thrilled to see other anti-banana folks. I whimper whenever I see a recipe calling for mashed banana. This is perfect for segueing out of a juice detox. Fun site!

173 Emilynn April 9, 2014

Hi Angela!
I just have a quick question. I came to this recipe because my stomach and bananas don’t exactly agree, so I was excited to see a banana free Green Monster recipe. However, apples and my stomach don’t agree either. Do you think that substituting with some berries would be fine? Or do you have any other alternative suggestions?
Thanks!

174 la_rahh May 3, 2014

This was my second ever green smoothie that I made and for a ‘green smoothie beginner’ this was easy to make and tasted great! Thanks for creating and sharing this recipe!

175 Emily June 4, 2014

Please check out DIY Natural for the importance of steaming Kale before using in your Smoothies. To help people from getting sick from the Kale. Effects the Kidneys.

176 Ana Luiza June 11, 2014

Hi Angela!

Love this and your pink detox smoothies! Wanted to let you know I featured both on my post about Breakfast smoothies.

evergreenevergrey.blogspot.com/2014/06/top-5-favorite-breakfast-smoothies.html
-Ana Luiza

177 Margaret Webb August 19, 2014

Has anyone ever made a bit extra or tried saving a bit to have later (ie within 24 hrs)? I know fresh is best, but when pressed for time, or not near appliances, just grabbing the extra from the fridge and shaking it up to revive it would be a great snack option at work.

178 Kayleen August 19, 2014

How long will this last in the fridge? I’m a busy a “cook once every few days” kinda girl and I like things that will last. The yield says 3 cups? Will it last 2 – 3 days in the fridge?
Anyone who knows pretty please let me know! :)

179 Joy October 13, 2014

I used apple cider as my liquid and coconut agave syrup instead of maple syrup. It tastes delicious. I will definitely make this again!!

180 Alyssa October 22, 2014

does adding vanilla protein powder change the overall taste?

181 Charlene December 10, 2014

So happy to have found this recipe and your blog :). Have you found a protein powder you love? I’ve been working out consistently in the mornings and would love to make this drink (with extra protein) before my workout. I don’t eat soy btw. Thanks so much!

182 Irene January 18, 2015

This will be my go-to green smoothie when I’m out of bananas! It’s delicious. Thank you!

183 Haley January 22, 2015

This was really delicious Angela. I added 1 banana and a valencia orange to it to add some more sweetness and used 1 tbsp maple syrup and a cup of coconut water to make it easy to blend. I omitted the ice as well. :) Hope that helps anyone who doesn’t like super cold drinks!

184 Haley January 22, 2015

Oops! I forgot to mention I also added a handful of parsley to this. Great way to use then up!

185 Sonia January 25, 2015

This smoothie is amazing and I try to make it at least once a week! it’s delicious and healthy! When I don’t have cucumber, I use frozen celery. Chocolate protein poweder makes it taste like dessert!
thank you so much!

186 Maria February 9, 2015

Hi, Love the story, but wondering about the green smoothie, what does it do?? is it for energy?? Sorry, I want to start drinking healthy smoothies and would like to know what this one does.
Thanks,
Maria

187 Amy March 1, 2015

Love that this doesn’t need banana. Having a latex fruit allergy, I find it so hard to make good smoothies without banana and/or avocado. Can’t wait to try this!

188 Maria July 22, 2015

About two years ago, I (almost suddenly) realized that I absolutely detested bananas. It was very strange, but my Green Monster habit went right out the door with said bananas. No more green smoothies for me. Thank you for creating a (delicious) banana-free recipe that has me craving smoothies again. I always keep these ingredients on hand too – my favorite kind of recipes. I did have to add a bit of coconut water since my even my indesctructable Vitamix had some trouble blending this up. Maybe I need to put the apple at the top next time?

189 Chibi December 13, 2015

What’s a good substitute for apples if you’re allergic to that? :\

190 Tiffany March 21, 2016

Hi Angela!

I tried this recipe today and loved it! The ingredients don’t mention the amount of liquid so I added in 1/2cup of water for half the recipe. I used a green apple and omitted the ginger and it was still plenty sweet for me. Thank you!

191 Tiffany March 21, 2016

Forgot to mention I swapped spinach for the kale and it was still great, in case anyone is wondering.