Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

twix recipe vegan 7480 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

muhahauha

I don’t know why, but that just felt appropriate to open with being 6 days from Halloween and all.

Evil cackles are the perfect compliment to many situations, don’t you think?

Such as:

- When you’re bored at work and want to make coworkers think you’re up to something (aren’t you always??) See Dwight Kurt Schrute III.

- Ditto above, but for your significant other/family members.

- Obviously, evil scheming is one of them, which I did lots of as a teenager with my sister Kristi and girlfriends. (Don’t worry sis, your secrets are safe with me…..unless I ever write a novel. mhauhauha!)

- When you hide behind a wall and then jump out to scare your pet or husband (not that I do this or anything…)

- When you send your spouse to work with salty cookies…on April Fools Day

- When kids ring your doorbell on Halloween

- When you make a killer dessert recipe

When to avoid witch cackles: going through airport security or customs, when the officiate asks if anyone objects to the marriage, in church, after serving food to your guests at a dinner party (Halloween excepted), near any newborn, during a GRE, at a job interview.

Use at your own risk.

Last week, a couple of you asked me if I could revamp my Vegan Twix bar recipe. I like the way you think because I was already planning on doing so! The original recipe was very tasty and decadent, but the shortbread crust was fairly crumbly and contained a ton of vegan butter. It also required baking the crust and making caramel from scratch.

For this version, I made the recipe lower in fat, gluten-free, faster, and improved the crust. After the Homemade Rolos were such a hit with many of you, I knew I wanted to use date caramel again. The crust ended up driving me a bit crazy though. I used oat flour, agave, and just a touch of coconut oil. While it held together perfectly it was way too dense and the flavour was too earthy for a Twix recipe.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7452 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

I also knew I didn’t want to make a soft, fluffy crust. To me, a Twix bar has to have a crisp crust! Then Eric suggested I use rice crispies for the crust. Genius. It’s easy, fast, and just a few ingredients. Most of all, you don’t bake the crust which saves a lot of time. The crispy texture turned out to be the perfect compliment to the gooey date caramel and hardened chocolate coating. I don’t think I need to explain any further…

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7436 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7441 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7447 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Barsvegan peanut butter twix crispies 7445 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

You can thank Eric for this one. (He says he will accept boxes of Homemade Twix bars.) ;)

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7470 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

Email, print, or text this recipe

Yield: ~16-18 bars

for the crust:

• 1 & 1/4 cup GF crispy rice cereal (I use Nature’s Path)
  • 1/4 cup brown rice syrup*
  • 2 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the date caramel: (adapted from Homemade Rolos)

• 200-210 grams pitted soft Medjool dates (about 1 & 1/4 cup pitted dates)
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter*
  • 1 tbsp almond milk, or more if needed
  • pinch of fine grain sea salt

for the chocolate coating:

• 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (optional)

1. Line an 8-inch pan with two pieces of parchment paper. In a small pot, add the brown rice syrup, peanut butter, and vanilla. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until combined. Add pinch of salt. Pour into a large bowl with rice crisp and stir well.

2. Scoop the rice crisp mixture into pan. Wet hands slightly and then spread the mixture evenly and press down firmly until smooth. Place in freezer while you make the date caramel.

3. Soak dates in water until soft (only if necessary) and drain. Place pitted dates, peanut butter, milk, and salt in the food processor and process until almost smooth and a big ball forms.

4. Spread caramel layer over top of the crust until it’s as smooth and even as you can get it. Place back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set.

5. Melt the chocolate and optional coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. When 2/3 of the chips are melted, remove from heat and stir until smooth. Spread chocolate on top of the caramel and place in the freezer for about 3 minutes only.

6. Remove from freezer (chocolate should be slightly firm, but not completely set) and slice into rows and then in half. Freeze again until set for about 10 minutes. Store in fridge or freezer.

Substitution Notes: 1) The brown rice syrup can probably be subbed for honey (if you include honey in your diet). Agave won’t hold together as well since it’s not as “tacky”, but it will hold together when kept in the freezer. It will fall apart at room temperature though. 2) You can sub peanut butter for sunflower seed butter as a nut-free option.

vegan peanut butter twix crispies 7464 thumb   Homemade Crispy Twix Bars

I wrapped up two at a time in orange candy wrappers (from Bulk Barn) and secured them with kitchen twine. Not spooky, but so darn cute and festive.

Beks November 1, 2012

I kind of want to take the recipe for the caramel portion of this recipe and try to make Pay Days. LOVE those, but the ingredient list on them is scary!

Joanna November 1, 2012

Pinned the Twix Bar recipe I made last night! THANK YOUUU!

Sandy November 2, 2012

Yum. I made these for Halloween and they are so already gone. We are newly dairy-free and so this was the first year I could not help myself (multiple times) to the regular Halloween fare (twix, kitkat, smarties). Therefore, I decided your homemade twix were definitely in order. And oh, they were so good… so much better than those little chocolate bars! Thank you for a healthier and happier Halloween! :)

Frankie November 5, 2012

Yum! These look so good. I’m going to try them this weekend and test them out on my husband (he’s so lucky). Thanks

janine November 5, 2012

Healthy never looked like this! Being vegan is cleansing my body and soul.

Sharon November 10, 2012

Hi Angela: I found your website through Chatelaine magazine, and all your recipes look so yummy.

My sister was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and I’m now reading food labels faithfully. We were at the grocery store yesterday looking at rice cereal and regular Rice Crispies cereal by Kellogg’s has a small note at the bottom of the ingredients that it may contain wheat as processed in a wheat facility. However, Kellogg’s is now making a gluten free variety of Rice Crispies. Apparently it states gluten free in big letters on the top of the box near the name. We couldn’t buy it because the shelf was empty! (prompting a trip to the store manager to find out when it would be re-stocked)

It amazes me how many foods you might think would be naturally gluten free, but there are those tiny words “processed in a wheat facility” in the ingredient list!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012

Hi Sharon, I would try Nature Path’s rice crisp cereal – that is what I buy and it’s gluten-free and filled with good ingredients.

Sarah November 11, 2012

My stepdaughter and I made the candy bars last night. So amazingly delicious! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe.

Kate November 12, 2012

I made these last night for my beau and he thought they were great!

He did however, want to point out that they are almost identical to a Whatchamacallit candy bar as those have both peanut butter and crisps. No PB in Twix.

Whatever you decide to call them- they get an A+ in our book!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2012

I don’t think we have that bar here, but that’s good to know.

MsMary November 13, 2012

Just going over this recipe and was curious if rice milk would work as a subsitute for the almond milk? My youngest has horrid nut allergies … thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 14, 2012

I can’t see why not! :)

Sarah November 13, 2012

I just made these, literally. In fact I am eating one right now! It’s even better than I thought it would be :-))) Should have doubled the batch. I cut my finger and thumb in the process of making them – didn’t unplug the blender while trying to get the sticky dates from being stuck on the blades!!! All is OK though. Didn’t lose any fingers!!! Hard to type with band aids on but it was soooo worth it. Lol! :-)

Angela November 19, 2012

Yes, yes, and yes!! These look amazing!

Marie November 20, 2012

Hi there! Thank you for this recipe! My nephew is wheat/dairy intolerant and Im making this as a dessert for him this thanksgiving! I kind of messed up and bought regular dates, instead of medjool. is it possible to soak them to help the consistency or should I just go buy medjool? Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

Yes you can soak them until very soft, just be sure to drain them well before using. Enjoy!

Anne May November 28, 2012

Hi. I just want to say that I love your blog. As a vegan mother of three i have found so many yummy recipies.

Love from Norway

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012

Hi Anne, Thank you for your kind words! Im so glad you enjoy the blog.

Goldenera November 30, 2012

I made this yesterday and it was easy and delicious. I don’t think it tastes like a Twix bar but that doesn’t matter because the natural ingredients give it a richer taste. It is very sweet!

Denise @ pink-vegan.blogspot.com December 6, 2012

I REALLY liked the date caramel. The rice crispy cereal also made a GREAT cookie part !! They really did taste like twix bars !

Olga December 9, 2012

..so i made these thinking to help with my unhealthy sweet cravings, and ended up eating the whole thing! So, not sure if that was actually help :) It was just wayyy chewy, chocolaty and delicious!!

Rachel December 14, 2012

I made these to bring to work and share with my coworkers. Since I went dairy and gluten free due to my health my baking/treat making nearly become non-exsistant for a while. Thankgoodness I found your website!! I have tried so many of your recipes and shared many of them with others. These bars were gone within a few hours at work. :-) I love feeding my coworkers healthier treats that taste so yummy! Thank you for sharing your talents with us.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012

Thnak you for your kind words Rachel, that means so much to me!

Cristal December 19, 2012

Hi Angela. These bars look SO good. I would love to try them, but I don’t have any rice syrup or maple syrup on hand, and I think those are quite pricey items on my side of the world. I was wondering if molasses would work as a substitute? Or do you think the taste would be too overpowering?

p.s. I would love to see you try an adaptation of a Snickers bar – those are legendary chocolates!

Kristin December 21, 2012

Wow- I’m in awe… what a fabulous recipe. They taste sinfully delicious!

Courtney January 7, 2013

I have a major sweet tooth…and these amazing things defiantly satisfied it. And its all organic!

Zephyr January 10, 2013

These were delicious. I made a second batch using bananas instead of dates, since I’d used my dates up in the first batch. Both were great, but I think I prefer your version a bit more. Thank you very much!

Bel January 14, 2013

I wonder if you could use date molasses instead of the brown rice syrup? And what would you suggest as a nut butter that wouldn’t add much flavor? Maybe cashew butter? I can’t eat peanut butter or sunflower nut butter and I feel like almond butter would maybe add too much almond flavor? Great idea though – I love twix and recently saw a homemade version that was full of refined sugar, flour, and FAT! So this sounds like a great alternative :)

Samantha January 28, 2013

This recipe kind of reminds me os “scotcheroos”… but not really. Have you ever had them/I would love to see a more healthy/vegan recreation of them… even though I know it probably isn’t easy because of the butterscotch chips?

Michelle January 29, 2013

I made these with Speculoos cookie butter instead of peanut butter and omitted the date caramel layer and it was DELICIOUSLY decadent!! Thank you for sharing such great recipes!

Amy March 3, 2013

I love this recipe and make it all the time! However, I am allergic to peanuts and I found I didn’t have a sub in my cupboard for the crust, so I kept the water I soaked the dates in and simmered it with a tablespoon of golden syrup (naughty I know!) and it did the job perfectly!
Thanks for all the inspiration!

Alishia March 3, 2013

These turned out so good! Next time I want to try puffed millet, or puffed barley. Maybe a combo of these? Still, nice recipe, keep up your amazing work, you inspire me!

Rachael Webb March 12, 2013

These were amazing! I’ve had a hormonal craving for days which was satisfied by these wonderful,sticky,oozy yummy bars. Keep up the great ideas and thank you for the time and effort this must take, Rachyx

Joanne April 4, 2013

I finally had a chance to make these last night. I’ve been jonesing for something sweet and chocolatey and these definitely fit the bill! They were relatively easy to make and were a big hit with my hubby.

Lia May 5, 2013

My friend made these once for a potluck and they were so good, I forced her to show me where I could find the recipe! Thanks so much for sharing this!

Eric May 18, 2013

I was wondering if anybody knows how to make a crispy rice base but without the sugar. What could be used to hold it together? Or would you need some sort of dark chocolate coating as a wrapper of sorts?

Thank you!

rachael Smith May 24, 2013

Just made these. Amazing thankyou :)

Linda June 21, 2013

Yumm! My boyfriend and I just made them and they’re soooo yummy! A big part of them can already be found in our tummies, hehe.

I really love your blog and recipes. From Wednesday on even more, because our Vitamix arrived last Wednesday :) Yay, now I can finally make really smooth smoothies instead of finding some spinach leaves back into my smoothie…

Have a nice weekend!

Joana July 7, 2013

These are soooo good I can’t stop making them!! I am going for again tonight, thank you so much for creating this recipe, you a life saver! ;)

Malak August 4, 2013

Hi Angela! These look ahhh-maazing. I’d love to try them. I do have a question though, I’ve noticed that in both the rolos and the twix bar recipes, you use date caramel. Now, as one who can’t stand dates, this creates a dilemma. So my question is: is the date taste strong?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2013

Hey Malak, You can definitely taste the dates in these recipes, but I would say the caramel flavour is more pronounced (to my taste buds anyway, I can’t comment on how it would taste for you of course). Chilling them in the freezer helps too. Good luck!

Miz M August 10, 2013

I love your site. My sister found it for me as I was looking to make my own almond milk and that was the first recipe of yours I tried. Needless to say, the milk is wonderful. I made the Twix Bars for a friend’s son for dessert tomorrow. She recently decided to become a Vegan and her son has reluctantly joined her. She doesn’t like to cook, works two jobs just to get by and both of them need some comfort food.

I was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis and am on a special diet so I couldn’t taste anything with this recipe which killed me. So, after I had finished cutting them and they’d rested in the freezer for 10 minutes I had my sis taste them. She said they were the best thing she’d had in months. I think Davy will love them and I thank you for sharing!

Jody August 21, 2013

If I make these and put them in the freezer, will they be ok if I take them out in a couple days ?? Thanks!

Angela September 20, 2013

WOW! These are really yummy. I whipped them up in about 20 minutes. I substituted raw almond butter for the peanut butter and it is delicious. This was my first recipe I have tried and I look forward to trying more!

Kate in New York November 7, 2013

Just stumbled on this post! I’ve had a peanut allergy all my life so I’m all for making my own sweets… gets rid of the fear factor, plus I can better tailor the taste to my liking. :) I’ll be making these with Barney’s almond butter (it’s peanut free and sooooo smooth). Thanks.

Marlene November 12, 2013

Hahahha….tooo funny! I’m just about to take the GRE in a few hours, and just my luck I happen to stumble on this recipe right before it. I just think it’s hilarious! Talk about coincidences and serendipity…well I guess not soo happy in this case. But still, uber hilarious! :D

Juju November 19, 2013

I don’t know how you made yours so perfect, mine is all over the place XD
however this tastes AMAZING <3 thank you for sharing the recipe