Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

IMG 2197   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

After spending half of the day hiking Webster and Tews falls, we rested our weary legs back at home and geared up for a second day of hiking.

I threw this lovely dinner together for post-hike fuel. This salad is a potential cookbook recipe, but if it doesn’t make the cut I will certainly post it on the blog! It was so yummy.

IMG 1125   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

First up on day 2: a quick hike to Tiffany falls. This is definitely another family-friendly hike. It only takes about 3-5 minutes to get to the falls from the parking area.

Unfortunately, the falls are quite dried up right now due to the dry and hot spring we’ve had. We need rain so badly for farmers and mother nature alike! *rain dance*

IMG 09734 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

Check out how dried up the stream is…

IMG 09803 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

We tried to hike to the top of Tiffany falls (there is no trail and it’s super steep), but we weren’t properly equipped for the climb. I started to climb the rocks and daddy long leg spiders (“orange-backs” as I like to call these) were everywhere, crawling all over my hands. Ahhhhh! A mini freak out ensued. It was not one of my braver moments…but Eric found it humorous at least.

IMG 09886 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

We decided to come back another time when we have proper gear…aka hiking gloves and shoes! I’ll get ‘em next time.

After Tiffany falls, we crossed the road (County Road 2/Wilson St East) and hit the trail that would take us to Sherman falls. The trail was mostly groomed, but a bit rocky and hilly in some areas. My Garmin measured it at about 1 mile and took us about 20 minutes of fast-paced hiking. It’s always fun when you start to get close to the water and you can see the stream! If you don’t want to hike there, you can simply drive there and park on the side of the road. I think it’s only a 5 minute walk from the road.

You may have seen Eric’s 360 image that I posted yesterday. He was totally flattered that some of you enjoyed it! Keep your eyes peeled for a how-to post coming up. He’s gearing up for his second debut on the blog…! I think he’s a bit nervous about it, but I told him you are all easy to chat with. ;)

IMG 102215 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

As you can see, the trail is smooth as can be. We saw quite a few families with small children at these falls and heard it’s very popular spot for wedding photos!

IMG 21777 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

At long last, the gorgeous Sherman falls! Thankfully, not super dried up.

IMG 23277 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

But first, snack time. What is it about hiking that makes me hungry every 5 minutes?

IMG 2149   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

We enjoyed fruit and drinks (I had a refreshing mango Kombucha drink!), then got to work.

IMG 10273 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

I was convinced I was going to slip and destroy my camera.

IMG 236811 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

I did more experiments with shutter speed. ;)

IMG 10284 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub IMG 10294 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

and had fun getting up close and personal from different angles.

IMG 2340   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & GrubIMG 1058   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

I also annoyed Eric many times by getting in the way of his 360 grid photos! He’s such a waterfall hog.

Here he is in action taking a gazillion pictures for the 360. I really would not have patience for this. Plus, I think my hard drive would implode. You can see the stream is quite dried up here.

IMG 1047   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

Seeing this picture makes me want to travel the world as a photographer! What a cool gig that would be, eh?

IMG 23388 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

I cannot believe that we just discovered what a gorgeous area this is. As a few of you mentioned yesterday, Hamilton doesn’t always have a great reputation for being a “pretty” or “scenic” area and it’s a shame. Hopefully these posts will do the Hamilton area proud!

IMG 10933 thumb   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

Once back to the car, we enjoyed some crunchy trail mix cookies that I made just for the occasion. Recipe coming up next!

IMG 1094   Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

5 down, only 115 to go…(cookies or waterfalls?)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 19, 2012

Ahh wow this looks even better than day one!!! Gorgeous waterfall shots. I can just picture the spider freak-out, and while I’m sure it was funny for Eric, I’d have probably done the same thing as you!!! PS. I’m strongly considering popping over to my health food store to get me some mango Tonica at lunch! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

I have you to thank for that addiction. :) I think we need to buy a case in bulk and split it…

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 19, 2012

It is so interesting to see how much shutter speed effects the photos – I appreciate you taking the time to show us those differences and the waterfalls are definitely perfect places to illustrate that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

I’m glad you enjoy them Erica :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2012

I love those hikes where you can really do some climbing. I finally bought hiking shoes so I can do more of it without feeling like I might fall to my death. :)

That salad looks cookbook worthy… but I wish I could have the recipe now! Instant gratification – lol! Can’t wait for the cookies tmorrow!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Hey Laura, do you have any tips on buying hiking shoes or have a brand to recommend? I’m not really sure what to look for. Any help is appreciated!

Jo June 19, 2012

Some brands are definitely better than others, but the type of shoe/boot depends on the types of trails you plan on hiking/climbing, how much you want to spend, and how often. Brands like Montrail, Merrell, Keen, and Vasque are very popular.

Boots like this: http://www.rei.com/product/763342/vasque-wasatch-gtx-hiking-boots-womens will last you forever and are designed for heavy duty hiking and backpacking. I’ve worked outside every summer for the past 6 years and my pair of boots similar to this are still kicking!

These: http://www.rei.com/product/810830/merrell-moab-waterproof-hiking-shoes-womens are somewhere in the middle, providing support, good for most hiking if you plan on staying on trails.

And here’s a link to a bunch of vegan hiking shoes/boots, if that matters to you: http://hikingboots.com/news/vegan-hiking-boots

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012

Thanks for your help guys! Will look into this :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2012

I got New Balance trail Running shoes. I opted for those over boots since they provide grip but I can still run in them. My shoe rack is over flowing!

Nina June 19, 2012

I have a pair of Keen hikers that come up over the ankle and a pair of Patagonia light hikers that are more like shoes with really great tread. I’ve hiked the Escarpment in my Keens and they were fantastic – no blisters and my feet stayed dry. I recently hiked on the Athabasca Glacier in Alberta in my Patagonia’s and they provided great grip, although they’re not water proof. For the area you’re planning on exploring either would work. Just a note about the Keen’s, they’re kind of ugly. But really as long as your feet and ankles are protected it doesn’t really matter what they look like.

Destini June 19, 2012

Looks like a wonderful day! I am not afraid of spiders, but I also don’t want them crawling all over me :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 19, 2012

I’m still stunned (& a little sad) that I lived in Hamilton for 3 years without ever exploring this! I guess I have to chalk it up to being 20-ish and caring more about where the bars were located at the time haha …

You’ve totally inspired me to get out and enjoy local scenery — last night I asked my husband to go to a local conservation area with trails and waterfalls this weekend – hopefully the weather cooperates!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) June 19, 2012

I had no idea Hamilton had so many waterfalls! I have been to two of them that were a 2min walk from the car but it would be fun to see the ones that require more of the hike. You are luck you were the only ones there to enjoy the falls!

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) June 19, 2012

Yay! You’re giving me more dayhikes to add to the list. Beautiful. :)

Good reminder to pick up gloves first though…

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) June 19, 2012

By the way, if you’re looking for hiking boots or shoes you may want to check out Hiker’s Haven on South Service Road there in Oakville or Mountain Equipment Co-op in Burlington. In the past I’ve had Vasque hiking shoes and Salomon hiking boots, both of which I’ve loved. My boots are Gore-tex – I don’t like squishing my toes around in wet socks (gross!) so I opted to go for waterproof. In any case, good luck!

Danica Kordic June 19, 2012

If you are up for hiking adventures you may want to take a drive up to Georgian Bay, you can stay over night in Tobermory which is a beautiful little town right at the tip of Georgian Bay. They have some great hiking trails on the Bruce Trails along the water edge. We did a hike up there one year and the views were amazing, then we got adventurous and hiked to the bottom and dipped our feet in the water. You can check out the trails here https://brucetrail.org/store/category/11 sadly you have to pay for the maps now. Years ago they used to be free.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012

thank you I will check it out!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 19, 2012

There is nothing more gorgeous and relaxing than a waterfall(s). There is nothing more screech inducing that daddy long legs all over your hands!

Mara June 19, 2012

Cookies please and the dinner salad! BTW, loving the easy overnight buckwheat parfait. Had no idea it would that good!! Yum yum to me tum tum, heehee! Thank you again for nourishing our lives:-)

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay June 19, 2012

I would be too scared to bring my camera into the water. I’m clumsy enough!
I’m excited for the cookiesss :)

Janae @ Bring Joy June 19, 2012

Me too! I took some pictures of my kids in the hot tub the other day (I was in the hot tub, with the camera) & thought–I must be CRAZY!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012

I was thinking the same thing when I was in there! hah

Janae @ Bring Joy June 19, 2012

I’m will ya, traveling the world photographing everything, that would be quite an adventure. Now that I have a DSLR, I’m completely addicted & love tinkering with shutterspeed & aperature. I love how the shutterspeed affects the waterfall. Lovely & I’m a bit jealous–gets me thinking we’re due for some hiking ourselves!

Lauren June 19, 2012

Beautiful waterfall pics! Looking forward to the cookie recipe!

Moni Meals June 19, 2012

You’re so awesome and brave Angela. I really liked seeing the comparison of shutters speeds. What a fun weekend indeed! :)

Sarah L. June 19, 2012

Wow, go Hamilton! I had no idea it had such lovely hiking areas. I will have to make a trip out to the falls someday!

Also, um, HOLY YUMMY SALAD! :)

Rachel B June 19, 2012

gorgeous photos ange!! i just have a point and shoot, but i’d love to get more into photography. its a good excuse to travel more too haha i agree that professional photography would be a great job, its in my dream job file along with “gear tester” for a running or outdoor sports equipment company ;)

those cookies look incredible! can’t wait for the recipe

Adrienne @ Boysenberries June 19, 2012

Hamilton is a hidden gem. Unless you get off the highway and start expolring, you’d never know it. Great waterfall pics btw.

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey June 19, 2012

I’m so jelly! I’ve been to Webster Falls before but always wanted to go to Tiffany’s.It’s sad that so few of us McMaster students have actually been to the falls. Ooh. Have you ever considered going to the Devil’s Punchbowl? It should be really pretty :)

Kayla Moothart June 19, 2012

What beautiful pictures! The area looks wonderful – little water or not! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 19, 2012

Cookies OR Waterfalls??? Both! :) Looks pretty scenic to me!

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 19, 2012

That water. And that 24-70. And that water. And that lens. I am nervous FOR you reading this post :)

I don’t trust my tripod on dry land with my 5D and 24-70 mounted on it, let alone in a current! You are brave!

Zestful Lou June 19, 2012

Ooooo! Please post the cookie recipe soon! I’m going on a road trip soon and I wanted to pack some healthy snacks!!

Carolyn Nelson June 19, 2012

That is one yummy looking quinoa salad, can I have that recipe please!?!

Susan June 19, 2012

Your photos are beautiful! I can’t wait to try the recipes, especially for the cookies. I help a caterer on the weekends and am always looking for some snacks to bring with me since we’re super busy AND I can’t eat anything we serve the guests. Thanks!!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 19, 2012

I love the hiking and outdoors pictures, especially the climbing on the rock picture. Looks so beautiful and calming!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 19, 2012

that waterfall is breathtaking!! wow! how beautiful! and that chips and salsa dish looks delicious too!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 19, 2012

There are 3 things I can never get enough of in pictures: trees, the ocean and waterfalls. Beautiful!!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery June 19, 2012

Beautiful pictures! I adore waterfalls!

The Blissful Baker June 19, 2012

Your pictures are great! My favorite is probably the cookies though…they look delish! I can’t wait for the recipe!

Check out my latest recipe @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 19, 2012

I need to catch up on your last few posts because I’ve been out of town- but WOW! The waterfalls are gorgeous (and I love the shutter-speed experimentation). I would have definitely freaked out about the spiders too- or any creepy crawly surprises waiting for me. Ew!

Deirdre June 19, 2012

Oooh. The intrigue…cookies or waterfalls (or a combo?)

Nicole June 19, 2012

Looking forward to that cookie recipe!

Full Flavored Life June 19, 2012

Your post hike dinner looks fabulous!

luv what you do June 19, 2012

What a gorgeous hike. Your pictures are impressive and I love all the options your camera offers. Looking forward to the cookbook!

Julie and Brit @twosaucysisters.wordpress.com June 19, 2012

We LOVE Sherman falls!!:D We go running there every once in a while, you can get a solid 45-50min if you do the entire loop, and because part of it is a bike trail it’s a bit smoother and easier to run on – you can admire the beautiful scenery without fear of falling on your face! :D

Adina June 20, 2012

YUM (to the waterfalls, the food … everything)

And I cannot wait for that cookie recipe!

LizAshlee June 20, 2012

That salad does look so tasty and I can’t wait for a trail mix cookie recipe!! :)

Jan June 20, 2012

Beautiful pictures…I don’t remember where you are but it reminded me of WV where I’m from. Love the rocks. Looking forward to the trailmix cookie recipe especially because it’s mobile but also the salad meal recipe. Love reading your blog.

Sonal June 20, 2012

Thee hikes look like so much fun and you got some really amazing shots! :) I don’t think I could have handled the steepness of tiffany falls!

Page 1 of 212»