Hamilton Hiking Day Two: Tiffany and Sherman Falls! The Photography & Grub

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 19, 2012

IMG_2197

After spending half of the day hiking Webster and Tews falls, we rested our weary legs back at home and geared up for a second day of hiking.

I threw this lovely dinner together for post-hike fuel. This salad is a potential cookbook recipe, but if it doesn’t make the cut I will certainly post it on the blog! It was so yummy.

IMG_1125

First up on day 2: a quick hike to Tiffany falls. This is definitely another family-friendly hike. It only takes about 3-5 minutes to get to the falls from the parking area.

Unfortunately, the falls are quite dried up right now due to the dry and hot spring we’ve had. We need rain so badly for farmers and mother nature alike! *rain dance*

IMG_0973[4]

Check out how dried up the stream is…

IMG_0980[3]

We tried to hike to the top of Tiffany falls (there is no trail and it’s super steep), but we weren’t properly equipped for the climb. I started to climb the rocks and daddy long leg spiders (“orange-backs” as I like to call these) were everywhere, crawling all over my hands. Ahhhhh! A mini freak out ensued. It was not one of my braver moments…but Eric found it humorous at least.

IMG_0988[6]

We decided to come back another time when we have proper gear…aka hiking gloves and shoes! I’ll get ‘em next time.

After Tiffany falls, we crossed the road (County Road 2/Wilson St East) and hit the trail that would take us to Sherman falls. The trail was mostly groomed, but a bit rocky and hilly in some areas. My Garmin measured it at about 1 mile and took us about 20 minutes of fast-paced hiking. It’s always fun when you start to get close to the water and you can see the stream! If you don’t want to hike there, you can simply drive there and park on the side of the road. I think it’s only a 5 minute walk from the road.

You may have seen Eric’s 360 image that I posted yesterday. He was totally flattered that some of you enjoyed it! Keep your eyes peeled for a how-to post coming up. He’s gearing up for his second debut on the blog…! I think he’s a bit nervous about it, but I told him you are all easy to chat with. ;)

IMG_1022[15]

As you can see, the trail is smooth as can be. We saw quite a few families with small children at these falls and heard it’s very popular spot for wedding photos!

IMG_2177[7]

At long last, the gorgeous Sherman falls! Thankfully, not super dried up.

IMG_2327[7]

But first, snack time. What is it about hiking that makes me hungry every 5 minutes?

IMG_2149

We enjoyed fruit and drinks (I had a refreshing mango Kombucha drink!), then got to work.

IMG_1027[3]

I was convinced I was going to slip and destroy my camera.

IMG_2368[11]

I did more experiments with shutter speed. ;)

IMG_1028[4] IMG_1029[4]

and had fun getting up close and personal from different angles.

IMG_2340IMG_1058

I also annoyed Eric many times by getting in the way of his 360 grid photos! He’s such a waterfall hog.

Here he is in action taking a gazillion pictures for the 360. I really would not have patience for this. Plus, I think my hard drive would implode. You can see the stream is quite dried up here.

IMG_1047

Seeing this picture makes me want to travel the world as a photographer! What a cool gig that would be, eh?

IMG_2338[8]

I cannot believe that we just discovered what a gorgeous area this is. As a few of you mentioned yesterday, Hamilton doesn’t always have a great reputation for being a “pretty” or “scenic” area and it’s a shame. Hopefully these posts will do the Hamilton area proud!

IMG_1093[3]

Once back to the car, we enjoyed some crunchy trail mix cookies that I made just for the occasion. Recipe coming up next!

IMG_1094

5 down, only 115 to go…(cookies or waterfalls?)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

Ahh wow this looks even better than day one!!! Gorgeous waterfall shots. I can just picture the spider freak-out, and while I’m sure it was funny for Eric, I’d have probably done the same thing as you!!! PS. I’m strongly considering popping over to my health food store to get me some mango Tonica at lunch! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

I have you to thank for that addiction. :) I think we need to buy a case in bulk and split it…

Erica { EricaDHouse.com } June 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

It is so interesting to see how much shutter speed effects the photos – I appreciate you taking the time to show us those differences and the waterfalls are definitely perfect places to illustrate that!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’m glad you enjoy them Erica :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

I love those hikes where you can really do some climbing. I finally bought hiking shoes so I can do more of it without feeling like I might fall to my death. :)

That salad looks cookbook worthy… but I wish I could have the recipe now! Instant gratification – lol! Can’t wait for the cookies tmorrow!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hey Laura, do you have any tips on buying hiking shoes or have a brand to recommend? I’m not really sure what to look for. Any help is appreciated!

Jo June 19, 2012 at 10:58 am

Some brands are definitely better than others, but the type of shoe/boot depends on the types of trails you plan on hiking/climbing, how much you want to spend, and how often. Brands like Montrail, Merrell, Keen, and Vasque are very popular.

Boots like this: http://www.rei.com/product/763342/vasque-wasatch-gtx-hiking-boots-womens will last you forever and are designed for heavy duty hiking and backpacking. I’ve worked outside every summer for the past 6 years and my pair of boots similar to this are still kicking!

These: http://www.rei.com/product/810830/merrell-moab-waterproof-hiking-shoes-womens are somewhere in the middle, providing support, good for most hiking if you plan on staying on trails.

And here’s a link to a bunch of vegan hiking shoes/boots, if that matters to you: http://hikingboots.com/news/vegan-hiking-boots

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012 at 7:01 am

Thanks for your help guys! Will look into this :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I got New Balance trail Running shoes. I opted for those over boots since they provide grip but I can still run in them. My shoe rack is over flowing!

Nina June 19, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I have a pair of Keen hikers that come up over the ankle and a pair of Patagonia light hikers that are more like shoes with really great tread. I’ve hiked the Escarpment in my Keens and they were fantastic – no blisters and my feet stayed dry. I recently hiked on the Athabasca Glacier in Alberta in my Patagonia’s and they provided great grip, although they’re not water proof. For the area you’re planning on exploring either would work. Just a note about the Keen’s, they’re kind of ugly. But really as long as your feet and ankles are protected it doesn’t really matter what they look like.

Destini June 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

Looks like a wonderful day! I am not afraid of spiders, but I also don’t want them crawling all over me :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 19, 2012 at 10:23 am

I’m still stunned (& a little sad) that I lived in Hamilton for 3 years without ever exploring this! I guess I have to chalk it up to being 20-ish and caring more about where the bars were located at the time haha …

You’ve totally inspired me to get out and enjoy local scenery — last night I asked my husband to go to a local conservation area with trails and waterfalls this weekend – hopefully the weather cooperates!

Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) June 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

I had no idea Hamilton had so many waterfalls! I have been to two of them that were a 2min walk from the car but it would be fun to see the ones that require more of the hike. You are luck you were the only ones there to enjoy the falls!

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) June 19, 2012 at 10:26 am

Yay! You’re giving me more dayhikes to add to the list. Beautiful. :)

Good reminder to pick up gloves first though…

Christine (The Brighter Side of Life) June 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

By the way, if you’re looking for hiking boots or shoes you may want to check out Hiker’s Haven on South Service Road there in Oakville or Mountain Equipment Co-op in Burlington. In the past I’ve had Vasque hiking shoes and Salomon hiking boots, both of which I’ve loved. My boots are Gore-tex – I don’t like squishing my toes around in wet socks (gross!) so I opted to go for waterproof. In any case, good luck!

Danica Kordic June 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

If you are up for hiking adventures you may want to take a drive up to Georgian Bay, you can stay over night in Tobermory which is a beautiful little town right at the tip of Georgian Bay. They have some great hiking trails on the Bruce Trails along the water edge. We did a hike up there one year and the views were amazing, then we got adventurous and hiked to the bottom and dipped our feet in the water. You can check out the trails here https://brucetrail.org/store/category/11 sadly you have to pay for the maps now. Years ago they used to be free.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

thank you I will check it out!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 19, 2012 at 10:35 am

There is nothing more gorgeous and relaxing than a waterfall(s). There is nothing more screech inducing that daddy long legs all over your hands!

Mara June 19, 2012 at 10:37 am

Cookies please and the dinner salad! BTW, loving the easy overnight buckwheat parfait. Had no idea it would that good!! Yum yum to me tum tum, heehee! Thank you again for nourishing our lives:-)

Jessica @ Chockohlawtay June 19, 2012 at 10:43 am

I would be too scared to bring my camera into the water. I’m clumsy enough!
I’m excited for the cookiesss :)

Janae @ Bring Joy June 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

Me too! I took some pictures of my kids in the hot tub the other day (I was in the hot tub, with the camera) & thought–I must be CRAZY!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012 at 7:03 am

I was thinking the same thing when I was in there! hah

Janae @ Bring Joy June 19, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m will ya, traveling the world photographing everything, that would be quite an adventure. Now that I have a DSLR, I’m completely addicted & love tinkering with shutterspeed & aperature. I love how the shutterspeed affects the waterfall. Lovely & I’m a bit jealous–gets me thinking we’re due for some hiking ourselves!

Lauren June 19, 2012 at 11:00 am

Beautiful waterfall pics! Looking forward to the cookie recipe!

Moni Meals June 19, 2012 at 11:01 am

You’re so awesome and brave Angela. I really liked seeing the comparison of shutters speeds. What a fun weekend indeed! :)

Sarah L. June 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Wow, go Hamilton! I had no idea it had such lovely hiking areas. I will have to make a trip out to the falls someday!

Also, um, HOLY YUMMY SALAD! :)

Rachel B June 19, 2012 at 11:22 am

gorgeous photos ange!! i just have a point and shoot, but i’d love to get more into photography. its a good excuse to travel more too haha i agree that professional photography would be a great job, its in my dream job file along with “gear tester” for a running or outdoor sports equipment company ;)

those cookies look incredible! can’t wait for the recipe

Adrienne @ Boysenberries June 19, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hamilton is a hidden gem. Unless you get off the highway and start expolring, you’d never know it. Great waterfall pics btw.

Nadiya @ Milk and Honey June 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

I’m so jelly! I’ve been to Webster Falls before but always wanted to go to Tiffany’s.It’s sad that so few of us McMaster students have actually been to the falls. Ooh. Have you ever considered going to the Devil’s Punchbowl? It should be really pretty :)

Kayla Moothart June 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

What beautiful pictures! The area looks wonderful – little water or not! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 19, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Cookies OR Waterfalls??? Both! :) Looks pretty scenic to me!

Averie @ Averie Cooks June 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

That water. And that 24-70. And that water. And that lens. I am nervous FOR you reading this post :)

I don’t trust my tripod on dry land with my 5D and 24-70 mounted on it, let alone in a current! You are brave!

Zestful Lou June 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Ooooo! Please post the cookie recipe soon! I’m going on a road trip soon and I wanted to pack some healthy snacks!!

Carolyn Nelson June 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

That is one yummy looking quinoa salad, can I have that recipe please!?!

Susan June 19, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Your photos are beautiful! I can’t wait to try the recipes, especially for the cookies. I help a caterer on the weekends and am always looking for some snacks to bring with me since we’re super busy AND I can’t eat anything we serve the guests. Thanks!!

B @ Crags and Veggies June 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I love the hiking and outdoors pictures, especially the climbing on the rock picture. Looks so beautiful and calming!

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy June 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

that waterfall is breathtaking!! wow! how beautiful! and that chips and salsa dish looks delicious too!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama June 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm

There are 3 things I can never get enough of in pictures: trees, the ocean and waterfalls. Beautiful!!!

Alex @ Raw Recovery June 19, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Beautiful pictures! I adore waterfalls!

The Blissful Baker June 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Your pictures are great! My favorite is probably the cookies though…they look delish! I can’t wait for the recipe!

Check out my latest recipe @ bakingblissful.blogspot.com

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 19, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I need to catch up on your last few posts because I’ve been out of town- but WOW! The waterfalls are gorgeous (and I love the shutter-speed experimentation). I would have definitely freaked out about the spiders too- or any creepy crawly surprises waiting for me. Ew!

Deirdre June 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Oooh. The intrigue…cookies or waterfalls (or a combo?)

Nicole June 19, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Looking forward to that cookie recipe!

Full Flavored Life June 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Your post hike dinner looks fabulous!

luv what you do June 19, 2012 at 8:50 pm

What a gorgeous hike. Your pictures are impressive and I love all the options your camera offers. Looking forward to the cookbook!

Julie and Brit @twosaucysisters.wordpress.com June 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm

We LOVE Sherman falls!!:D We go running there every once in a while, you can get a solid 45-50min if you do the entire loop, and because part of it is a bike trail it’s a bit smoother and easier to run on – you can admire the beautiful scenery without fear of falling on your face! :D

Adina June 20, 2012 at 6:27 am

YUM (to the waterfalls, the food … everything)

And I cannot wait for that cookie recipe!

LizAshlee June 20, 2012 at 8:14 am

That salad does look so tasty and I can’t wait for a trail mix cookie recipe!! :)

Jan June 20, 2012 at 9:00 am

Beautiful pictures…I don’t remember where you are but it reminded me of WV where I’m from. Love the rocks. Looking forward to the trailmix cookie recipe especially because it’s mobile but also the salad meal recipe. Love reading your blog.

Sonal June 20, 2012 at 10:14 am

Thee hikes look like so much fun and you got some really amazing shots! :) I don’t think I could have handled the steepness of tiffany falls!

Julie @ Shining From Within June 20, 2012 at 10:20 am

are those the lululemon short shorts? i am looking to buy a pair but not sure if they’ll fit right! beautiful pictures by the way… i wish there were trails like that near where I live!

KimmySue June 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wish we had hiking like that in our area! Looking forward to Eric’s photo post!

Elizabeth June 21, 2012 at 9:02 am

Thank you for showing off Hamilton so beautifully. I was once an (uneducated) anti-Hamilton person, and then in 1997, my now-husband and I moved here to go to Mac and we fell in love with the city and area. We have been here ever since and have no plans to leave.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Amazing shots! I love that the hike doubled as a natural exercise and photography trip for you and Eric !

Jennifer June 24, 2012 at 3:31 am

Loved the post and waterfall pictures. I have just bought my first digital SLR and am reading up on how to use some of the settings (other than auto!). Reading about your hiking and seeing your comparison pics is really helpful. The beauty of digital – if it doesn’t work I can hit delete! :-)

Run to Eat June 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I wish I could fit in your suit case! Thank you for sharing your photos. Could you share some travel tips? During the summer months, I travel constantly. What recipes travel well? Do you have any favorites? You never know what you will find in airports and hotels. Any tips for eating clean on the road?

Lena July 4, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Looks like a lot of fun and the salad looks delicious…can’t wait till you post the recipe. I’ve been hiking a ton lately especially since it’s been so hot lately in LA. I love the outdoors when it’s real hot out.

Margaret @ WellnessCircle September 10, 2012 at 6:54 am

Haven’t been here for a while. I browsed and got into this article. Very nice photos, Angela! I think its really good to get a hike to these beautiful wonders of nature. I find it relaxing plus its a really good subject for photography session.

Nick D. September 10, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Cool post, that is some great scenery as well as some amazing photos. I have always enjoyed taking day hikes. It is the multi-day ones where I find myself hating everything (mostly due to hunger). But the shots y’all took remind me to take another trip to Vermont and get away from it all for a bit.
Thanks!

Jennifer April 2, 2013 at 7:52 am

Those are some beautiful waterfalls. I went hiking over the weekend and hiked in dupont forest. It’s the same forest where the hunger games was filmed.

Joy April 5, 2013 at 4:55 am

Great pictures…I am looking forward to hiking this summer in northern Maine :)

fitness membership program April 24, 2013 at 9:57 am

Trekking is a fun way of exercising. Not only do you get to be fit, you also get to experience and witness nature at its purest best.

Christine April 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

Beautiful pictures! Hamilton’s my hometown! :) I haven’t been to Sherman Falls in a long while but I went to Webster’s Falls last year on a hike with some friends. Such a beautiful area! I never appreciated it that much when I lived there of course, but I like to go back now and again to see it along with family.

Jenni May 15, 2015 at 7:46 am

Some great pictures of the hike and falls.

I love hiking and exploring new areas.

Can you keep us posted on other new places you will be exploring?

Alice June 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Amazing photo and it is great that you have managed to have the hike double as a natural exercise and photo trip for you and Eric.

I think its really good to get a hike to these beautiful wonders of nature.

I find it really relaxing and it allows me to get away from it all while trying to take some good shots!