7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

When I was a child, I only wanted to wear my two favourite outfits.

One of them was a neon pink and green spandex short and tank top combo and the other was a neon pink polka dot legging/skirt and t-shirt combo. Might I add, accessorized with a scrunchie, snap-on bracelet, and HIGH TOP kicks. I’ve always been pretty fashion forward. I bet my mom is laughing right now because she spent so many mornings trying to convince me that I couldn’t just wear the same thing everyday.

I guess I still don’t believe her, as I look down at the jeans I’ve been wearing for the past two weeks straight. :)

IMG 00011   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[Check out that pose]

I also go on major kicks with food. In 2009 and 2010, I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. I’ve also had so much chocolate, I didn’t touch it for months.

Wait, that didn’t happen….obviously.

Anyways, here are the foods I’m loving lately. Ask me again in a month, and I’ll probably want nothing to do with them.

#1 Grapefruit

They’re incredibly juicy, healthy, flavourful, and in season to boot. Now is the time to give them another shot if you’ve been on the fence. Try the Rose or Ruby varieties- they tend to have a nice balance of sweet and tart flavours. I find the right grapefruit doesn’t need any sweetener!

Last weekend, I ate 3 grapefruit in the span of one day…it was glorious, if not mildly insane. I had juice all over my face like a 2 year old. Did I mention I used to hate grapefruit?

IMG 7724   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#2 Rawtella

Step aside Nutella, there is a new spread in town. A couple weekends ago, I had my first experience visiting Organic Garage. I laughed, I cried (over the bill mostly), and I stalked every inch of the store with a fine tooth comb. Let’s just say I’ll never be the same again.

Especially, after trying out this little gem…

IMG 7827   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Picture with me for a moment Nutella with a rich, deep coffee flavour. Only this kind is vegan and raw, made with organic raw hazelnuts, organic raw cacao nibs, coffee beans, raw coconut sugar.

As you can see it is now empty. :\

IMG 7829   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Please keep me away from Organic Garage. It’s clearly dangerous.

#3 Fresh Rosemary

IMG 7832   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Remember last summer when I told you that my outdoor potted rosemary plant was dying a slow, horrible death, despite my best intentions (read: over-watering and then neglecting for 2 months). I totally gave up on the plant by October and moved it into the garage for storage.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went into the garage last weekend and a friend pointed out that my rosemary plant was growing!!

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIVEEEE! OH IT’S ALIIIVEEEEEE.

IMG 7830   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

All it needed was a window in the garage and a bit of moisture from the air. Who knew?

Mind you, the parsley on the other hand, is not so low maintenance…it weeps for a better gardener.

IMG 7831   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

I’ve been on a huge rosemary kick with my recipes lately, including this savoury nut butter that I made for the cookbook:

IMG 7835   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Oh man am I excited to share this recipe with you! It’s inspired by my favourite savoury spiced nut mix….and easily one of the best nut butters I’ve tasted in all my years.

I also made a luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter, that will blow your mind.

IMG 7442 2   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers

Sticking with the rosemary theme, this box of crackers didn’t last more than a day or two in this house. They are like a corn chip in cracker form filled with goodies like flax, hemp, and sesame seeds.

IMG 7833   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#5 Millet

I’m using it in everything these days. That is, when I’m not burning it to a black crisp or over-cooking it, which is about every third attempt. Note to self: Find and buy a clip-on timer. Someone mentioned in the comments that I need a clip-on timer like they use in science labs. Where can I find one of these little gems?

IMG 7760   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#6 White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce

I’m so obsessed with this sauce, I contemplated dedicating an entire post to it. Kristi first introduced this sauce to me a year or two ago and I fell head over heels for this stuff. Then our Costco membership expired and I went without it for a year. Costco is now back in our lives and so is this magnificent sauce. I buy 5 bottles at a time when we go…not even joking! I’d tell you what foods it goes good with, but the easiest thing thing to tell you is what foods it doesn’t go good with.

Nothing.

IMG 6256   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Well, maybe grapefruit.

I was at Costco the other week and a lady was loading up her cart with this sauce. She said to me, “Have you tried this marinara sauce before?? It’s the BEST marinara I’ve ever tried! All of my Italian relatives buy it because it tastes so authentic.”

We were instantly best friends and then we stacked the bottles into our carts like crazy people.

As soon as tomato season hits, I’m going to try my best to replicate this sauce. Although, I’m not sure how close I will come as they use Italian tomatoes…

#7 Vanilla Beans….the cheaper way!

To those of you who told me that I can find vanilla beans at Costco for cheap…you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

You get about 10 beans for $15 here in Canada (I read they are $12 in the US!), which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Best of all they are great quality and so far, nice and fresh.

061809 vanilla   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[image source: The Kitchn]

Also note, thanks to a few readers, you can buy 54 vanilla beans on Amazon for $27!! However, I just found out they don’t ship to Canada.

As many of you have already noticed, I finally created my new winter header, just 18 days shy of spring! Miracles do happen. The real miracle will be if this thing isn’t still up by Labour Day. By the way, press control + F5 to refresh your page if you can’t see the new header.

Who says winter is only dark and gloomy?

IMG 7824 5   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

True story: I almost pulled my groin while doing this photoshoot outside yesterday. The deck was covered in snow and I slipped while moving my tripod. Groin almost pulled. Thankfully it wasn’t, because I have a 5km race on Sunday! woot woot :)

Now tell me, what foods are YOU obsessing over lately? Spill the beans.

Wendy March 2, 2012

Roasted Brussels sprouts is my current passion -cannot get enough!

The marinara sauce is to die for – my Costco hasn’t been
Stocking it lately – I think I know why now – supply issues! Wonder if amazon will ship to canada?

olya March 2, 2012

Chocolate! lol

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 2, 2012

I loooooove grapefruit!

LizAshlee March 2, 2012

I love millet..it’s so versatile and good for you! I have also been enjoying grapefruits!!! Anything with alkalinizing effects is welcomed this way! :) Happy Friday!

Cara March 2, 2012

I love grapefruits, but they’re such a pain to prepare–do you just attack sections with a spoon? Does that work? I’ve always had to cut around the edge with a sharp knife, and then each of the little sections … and half an hour later, I get my snack.

I have lately been obsessed with chocolate almond butter (your fault) and Olive Oil Pasta with Walnuts, Lentils & Red Peppers (also your fault!)!

Jennifer March 2, 2012

I’ve been on Honeybells(cross between grapefruit and tangerine) lately. Mostly because I have a BIIIIIIIIIG box to eat. And I must tell you that Hubby wanted to know if I was making more onion rings tonight- he loved them!!!!!!!!!! I want to know if you’re gonna try to make some Rawtella or whatever it is….sounds like something I’d love!! Mmmm, feeling a bit like some Chocolate Dreams. Thanks for all you do Ange!

Nobody March 2, 2012

ATM i’m kind of addicted to chickpeas. i think it started with your recipe for “fried” chickpeas. i recently made a curry with them that i’ve been craving for 2 weeks straight. insanity.

Erin Wissig March 2, 2012

Angela,
I’m also crushing on vanilla beans but was weeping when I saw how much you paid for them. I know you love buying in bulk and when I went on a vanilla everything spree over the holidays I purchased all of my beans from vanillaproductsusa.com you can get 1lb of Bourbon Beans for $50.00 that’s 100 beans at .50 cents each. They are really nice quality and they have different types and quality levels.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2012

Thanks Erin! I’m not sure if I need that many beans all at once. Don’t they dry out if you don’t use them within a certain amount of time?

Colleen March 2, 2012

My current obsession is dumping tahini on everything.
And eating barley like oatmeal (without tahini).
And, Angela, I cracked up when I read your bit about the timer–mine broke a few months ago and I keep burning everything too! (Sources tell me I can get a new one at Target, Walmart, Kmart–and that store you all have up there–Canadian Tire? I love that place.)

Jen March 2, 2012

We must have read the same article about vanilla beans. I am not a member of Costcos so I found out that you can get really nice vanilla beans from the Vanilla Food Company (http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/) in Canada. I ordered the organic vanilla beans and they are amazing.

Marlene March 2, 2012

My favorite place is the Organic Garage!! Such a great place to find so many great things, especially if you have dietary restrictions. On the automatic email list. BTW the header is gorgeous!

Samantha March 3, 2012

I have been LOVING grapefruit too!! I can’t get enough of it! I had to steal my parents grapefruit spoons the last time I was over there to visit; makes them so much easier to eat!
I buy my vanilla beans in bulk from amazon. I believe I got about 110 for $40! I was worried that they would be dried out and a complete waste, but they are surprisingly the thickest, juiciest, most flavorful vanilla beans I have used in my life!! It’s so hard to not put them in everything I make. They do make oatmeal about a billion times better though ;)

Kelly March 3, 2012

My food obsessions are: your vegan brownies (I cut them into 25 little squares & allow myself one square a day); the BBQ chili you made for New Year’s day; vegan overnight oats; green monsters; brazil nuts and finally, Mary’s Gone Crackers. I have yet to try making your recent cracker recipe, but that’s in the cards soon ; ) Good luck with your race on Sunday!

Shelby (everydayvegangirl) March 3, 2012

I am loving oranges right now. I use the juice in dressings, cut up the segments for salads and eat them plain for snacks. I made a really good beet and orange quinoa salad the other day! http://everydayvegangirl.blogspot.com/2012/02/roasted-beet-and-orange-quinoa-salad.html
I can’t get enough oranges these days!

greenthyme March 3, 2012

Great post! This was a fun one. Thanks for sharing the info about the Costco vanilla beans! Who would have thought? I’m going to have to check that out. And, are we going to have to wait for the cookbook for that vanilla macadamia almond butter?! My mouth is watering. That sounds amazing. I’m loving the new winter header. Is that a blood orange I spy? My new favorite obsession, although I think you’ve convinced me to give grapefruit another try! :) Thanks Angela! Keep up the great work!

Maggie March 3, 2012

Rawtella sounds so good, we don’t have that kind of products here!!! That’s why I’m so excited with my trip to The Netherlands, to try things like that!!! :P

Claudia March 3, 2012

One word…avocados…..*sigh*

Anna March 3, 2012

I’ve been loving chai tea with a bit of almond milk, plain oatmeal with flax, and cooked mushrooms/onions. :) Btw, definitely love rosemary too!

Carla March 3, 2012

Red leaf lettuce. I have a salad everyday for lunch and nothing compares to red leaf lettuce!

Angelique March 3, 2012

Hi! You might want to check out Organic Vanilla Bean Company. I believe they are out of stock at the moment but they usually have FANTASTIC prices on organic vanilla beans and powder.
Like around $1 US for 2 beans (or more if you get grade B),
especially great w/them being organic.

Melissa March 3, 2012

My newest obsession is Coconut’s Secret coconut butter. This stuff is spectacular(if you like coconut that is). Mash into a baked sweet potato and top with toasted pumpkin seeds. An almost perfect lunch with a side salad.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 3, 2012

I have been on such a grapefruit and orange kick lately. I don’t know what it is, but I have been eating them non-stop, at least two oranges a day and yesterday it was a Pomelo, which is a Huge sweet grapefruit. Love all the citrus. Oh and blood oranges, my new find that I love! I love everything you picked here!! You inspired me to make some peanut butter this weekend!!!

Danielle March 3, 2012

Love the header — it’s so colorful!

As for that sauce…I am definitely intrigued. I am Italian and have an aversion to any bottled sauces because I’ve been spoiled with homemade for my entire life, but I *may* have to give this a try for convenience’s sake…and the fact that I have a Costco membership :) Thanks for the recommendation!

Dena @ 40 Fit In The Mitt March 3, 2012

My Grandmother lives in Arizona and she has her own Tree, they are so delicious and beautiful, I have never found one in Michigan that compares.

Kathy March 3, 2012

Lately, ground coffee has been finding it’s way into my foods! I made some coffee granola and a coffee buckwheat muffin (which failed but still tasted pretty good)!

Tamara March 3, 2012

LOVE the new header!!!
I’m obsessing over salads right now, I also can’t get enough Currants & Pumpkin seeds…. but it all may change as I’m going to my fav store tomorrow & that can only be trouble, can’t wait to see what kind of special treats they have for me!!

Laura March 3, 2012

Your new header has to be one of the most beautiful, fun, inspirational food loving headers I’ve seen all over the blog-world! Simply LOVE it! You’re beautiful, Angela and I adore your blog! XO

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2012

aww thank you Laura!

dara March 3, 2012

Hi Angela,
I noticed the persimmon in your photo. What do you bake with these? I can’t seem to get over the taste when they are raw.

Thanks!

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 3, 2012

I’ve been obsessing over avocado lately! I used to not be a big fan. Mostly because I THOUGHT I didn’t like them. I hadn’t really given them a try. Now I’m adding them to everything!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 4, 2012

used to think I hated avocado too…until I really tried them!

Carmen March 3, 2012

I really LOVE the new header! Awesome Job!

Gail March 4, 2012

I’m also crazy about White Linen Sauce. I live in fear that Costco will stop carrying it but I was told by one of the check out people last time I was there that it’s one of their best selling items so as long as it’s available to them it’ll be on their shelves. I use it in soups, chili’s and as a base for homemade pizza and occasionally I even put it on pasta!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 4, 2012

That doesnt surprise me one bit that it’s one of their best sellers…once you try it, you get hooked!

Kaleigh March 4, 2012

I’m currently addicted to pickled beets (so easy to make!)

But really – it’s your millet and mushroom gravy that has me obsessed! I made it twice last week…with the left overs for lunch. I had all about given up on the millet I had bought, because I could never cook it right (always came out mushy and over cooked). Your suggestion of toasting itself first was exactly what was needed!

*also…still obsessed with your mac and cheese. Will always be obsessed. Thank goodness it requires lots of clean up (2 pots, baking dish, blender…that’s a lot for me) or else I would be making it every day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 4, 2012

So glad to hear that Kaleigh, thanks for the feedback!

Joann@womaninreallife March 4, 2012

I love the new header. The colours are gorgeous. I also liked the peek at your current faves. I definitely want to try the Rawtella. Sounds awesome.

Annie March 4, 2012

That marinara looks delicious! I never have time to make my own so I’m always trying to find a good jarred kind. Do they sell it anyplace besides Cosco?

Carly March 4, 2012

So obsessed with clementines right now. I eat about 6 a day. I don’t know how I’m not sick of them yet!

Kelly M March 4, 2012

I LOVE your new header, it’s beautiful and bright!
My current obsession right is the wonderful smoothie. It doesn’t matter what’s in it. If it’s icy, green and a little fruity I love it. I’ve been big on drinking one everyday for a while now but I’m pregnant and my whole love for leafy greens went on hold for the first 5-6 months. I’m just getting back to loving greens again and I can’t get enough! They are my energy saver! One of my favorite add-ins is fresh parsley. My other recent obsession is mustard…I totally blame the pregnancy on that one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 4, 2012

Thanks Kelly!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 4, 2012

Juicy grapefruits (peeled and eaten in segments, not cut!) haha. Also, winter greens, brussel sprouts, and wait for it…….NUT BUTTER!

Jessica @ Hungrygems March 4, 2012

New winter header? Fab. Never too late for delicious food in a photo anywhere, anytime.

Rawtella? Fully engaged. Research complete. Scheduled the hour road trip to my nearest retailer. It will take this long anyways to negotiate with myself which flavors to purchase.

Obsession? MacroBars. Don’t google them unless you are prepared to drool in longing or spend some bling to ship some to you. My babies: peanut butter protein or granola coconut. I’ll give a shout out to the almond butter carob as well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 4, 2012

I had a macrobar once and almost died! soooo good

Anastasia@healthymamainfo.com March 4, 2012

Such a cute picture! Thanks for a great post!

Courtney March 4, 2012

Brussels Sprouts. HATED…I MEAN HATED them growing up. I’m convinced that if I try new things, I am a living, breathing example to my three children to try new things. I stepped up to the daunting challenge to try Brussels Sprouts this past Fall….I’ve become “Sam I Am”. I’d eat them any where, any way. To my peeps I say…..”BRING IT”!

Page 4 of 5«12345»