7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

When I was a child, I only wanted to wear my two favourite outfits.

One of them was a neon pink and green spandex short and tank top combo and the other was a neon pink polka dot legging/skirt and t-shirt combo. Might I add, accessorized with a scrunchie, snap-on bracelet, and HIGH TOP kicks. I’ve always been pretty fashion forward. I bet my mom is laughing right now because she spent so many mornings trying to convince me that I couldn’t just wear the same thing everyday.

I guess I still don’t believe her, as I look down at the jeans I’ve been wearing for the past two weeks straight. :)

IMG 00011   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[Check out that pose]

I also go on major kicks with food. In 2009 and 2010, I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. I’ve also had so much chocolate, I didn’t touch it for months.

Wait, that didn’t happen….obviously.

Anyways, here are the foods I’m loving lately. Ask me again in a month, and I’ll probably want nothing to do with them.

#1 Grapefruit

They’re incredibly juicy, healthy, flavourful, and in season to boot. Now is the time to give them another shot if you’ve been on the fence. Try the Rose or Ruby varieties- they tend to have a nice balance of sweet and tart flavours. I find the right grapefruit doesn’t need any sweetener!

Last weekend, I ate 3 grapefruit in the span of one day…it was glorious, if not mildly insane. I had juice all over my face like a 2 year old. Did I mention I used to hate grapefruit?

IMG 7724   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#2 Rawtella

Step aside Nutella, there is a new spread in town. A couple weekends ago, I had my first experience visiting Organic Garage. I laughed, I cried (over the bill mostly), and I stalked every inch of the store with a fine tooth comb. Let’s just say I’ll never be the same again.

Especially, after trying out this little gem…

IMG 7827   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Picture with me for a moment Nutella with a rich, deep coffee flavour. Only this kind is vegan and raw, made with organic raw hazelnuts, organic raw cacao nibs, coffee beans, raw coconut sugar.

As you can see it is now empty. :\

IMG 7829   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Please keep me away from Organic Garage. It’s clearly dangerous.

#3 Fresh Rosemary

IMG 7832   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Remember last summer when I told you that my outdoor potted rosemary plant was dying a slow, horrible death, despite my best intentions (read: over-watering and then neglecting for 2 months). I totally gave up on the plant by October and moved it into the garage for storage.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went into the garage last weekend and a friend pointed out that my rosemary plant was growing!!

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIVEEEE! OH IT’S ALIIIVEEEEEE.

IMG 7830   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

All it needed was a window in the garage and a bit of moisture from the air. Who knew?

Mind you, the parsley on the other hand, is not so low maintenance…it weeps for a better gardener.

IMG 7831   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

I’ve been on a huge rosemary kick with my recipes lately, including this savoury nut butter that I made for the cookbook:

IMG 7835   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Oh man am I excited to share this recipe with you! It’s inspired by my favourite savoury spiced nut mix….and easily one of the best nut butters I’ve tasted in all my years.

I also made a luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter, that will blow your mind.

IMG 7442 2   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers

Sticking with the rosemary theme, this box of crackers didn’t last more than a day or two in this house. They are like a corn chip in cracker form filled with goodies like flax, hemp, and sesame seeds.

IMG 7833   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#5 Millet

I’m using it in everything these days. That is, when I’m not burning it to a black crisp or over-cooking it, which is about every third attempt. Note to self: Find and buy a clip-on timer. Someone mentioned in the comments that I need a clip-on timer like they use in science labs. Where can I find one of these little gems?

IMG 7760   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#6 White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce

I’m so obsessed with this sauce, I contemplated dedicating an entire post to it. Kristi first introduced this sauce to me a year or two ago and I fell head over heels for this stuff. Then our Costco membership expired and I went without it for a year. Costco is now back in our lives and so is this magnificent sauce. I buy 5 bottles at a time when we go…not even joking! I’d tell you what foods it goes good with, but the easiest thing thing to tell you is what foods it doesn’t go good with.

Nothing.

IMG 6256   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Well, maybe grapefruit.

I was at Costco the other week and a lady was loading up her cart with this sauce. She said to me, “Have you tried this marinara sauce before?? It’s the BEST marinara I’ve ever tried! All of my Italian relatives buy it because it tastes so authentic.”

We were instantly best friends and then we stacked the bottles into our carts like crazy people.

As soon as tomato season hits, I’m going to try my best to replicate this sauce. Although, I’m not sure how close I will come as they use Italian tomatoes…

#7 Vanilla Beans….the cheaper way!

To those of you who told me that I can find vanilla beans at Costco for cheap…you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

You get about 10 beans for $15 here in Canada (I read they are $12 in the US!), which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Best of all they are great quality and so far, nice and fresh.

061809 vanilla   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[image source: The Kitchn]

Also note, thanks to a few readers, you can buy 54 vanilla beans on Amazon for $27!! However, I just found out they don’t ship to Canada.

As many of you have already noticed, I finally created my new winter header, just 18 days shy of spring! Miracles do happen. The real miracle will be if this thing isn’t still up by Labour Day. By the way, press control + F5 to refresh your page if you can’t see the new header.

Who says winter is only dark and gloomy?

IMG 7824 5   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

True story: I almost pulled my groin while doing this photoshoot outside yesterday. The deck was covered in snow and I slipped while moving my tripod. Groin almost pulled. Thankfully it wasn’t, because I have a 5km race on Sunday! woot woot :)

Now tell me, what foods are YOU obsessing over lately? Spill the beans.

Miriam March 2, 2012

I love rosemary too! I am always amazed at what a difference it makes with the flavor of a dish!! Love this post Ange!

Nikki @ Active Vegetarian March 2, 2012

The new page header looks Great!!!

Deirdre @ ladies holiday March 2, 2012

Can’t wait for your cookbook…I haven’t even tasted it yet and I am already craving the macademia nut butter. The photos of the veg in the snow are lovely! So bold and vibrant!

jaimie March 2, 2012

so jealous you are doing the chilly! i have been training like crazy for the chilly half and my itb injury flared up a couple weeks ago. couldnt walk for a couple days and been going down the stairs on my bum :(

good luck! i’ll be there in spirit

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca March 2, 2012

lol! I love reading your posts :P Rawtella sounds amazing. My cashew butter jars look like that shortly after I buy them.

It’s going to sound a little lame, but I’m obsessed with oatmeal lately. I didn’t eat it for a few years (no idea why), and now I can’t stop baking it, cooking it with almond mylk, trying new flavours, etc. Oh, and roasted veggies! I am all over my roasted veggies lately (thought not in my oatmeal….haha!).

Karen March 2, 2012

I too get into ruts with my favorites of the moment/month/season both clothes and food. I’m actually super into millet too, which surprised me given I’m usually a bigger fan of quiona. And, kale-nooch salad w/avocado and white beans – warm and mushy! Oh, I have a feeling your Tabisco laced hummus (which I finally tried) is going to be a contender!

What a cool/gorgeous winter scene you shot for your “late, late winter” header :)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 2, 2012

hhehehe love the new header, it’s so bright and purty! You always throw me off with your new headers, and I end up thinking that I’m on some other blog~:P

And seriously, I’m thrilled for you and your new cookbook adventure…I feel like I’m the one writing it! Only, I’m not….lol. And I love grapefruit! I think I always have, but I just don’t get it often b/c it’s pricier than other fruits.

Estelle March 2, 2012

I bought the same vanilla at my local Costco for $12…and I’m in Canada. Hmmmm…

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

Really? Hmm, maybe I got the price wrong! I’ll have to check next time I go.

Emilia March 2, 2012

The rawtella looks amazing! I’m seriously inspired to create some of my own nut butter with ac coffee flavor, how hard can it be? The savoury nut butter also looks fantastic (I, too, am obsessed with rosemary), I’ll be eagerly awaiting the recipe! Not to mention, the millet. I’ve been trying to broaden my grain horizons and I’ll have to keep my eyes peeled for that one!

Stephany March 2, 2012

Currently, here are the top 5:
Eden Organic Spaghetti sauce
Mushrooms
Clementines
M&M Veggie Burgers
Green monsters with Arthur’s green energy, spinach or kale

Mara March 2, 2012

How do I get me some Rawtella? Love the new header!!!

Robyn March 2, 2012

I love grapefruit! Eating one instantly gives me a boost of energy! No need for coffee when you have fresh citrus!

Susan March 2, 2012

Kale – chips, in soup, stews, and especially your weekend glo Kale salad; beets; green monsters and chia seeds
Oh yeah and goji berries too – someone just suggested adding them to oatmeal – may have to try that this weekend

Nicole March 2, 2012

You can get organic vanilla beans for 75 cents each in the bulk section at Big Carrot!

Misty March 2, 2012

Plain greek yogurt is my current love! And myfitnesspa.com!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 2, 2012

I’ve never heard of rawtella before!! It sounds delicious :D

Elizabeth March 2, 2012

Your veggie burgers, hummus, (ok, all your recipes) mary’s crackers, fresh salsa, Navel oranges, green monsters…can you tell I’m relatively new to your blog? HA!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 2, 2012

I haven’t tried millet, but since you’re the one who turned me onto wheat berries a few months back, I think I need to give it a shot!

Becky March 2, 2012

I’ve been on a grapefruit kick for months now – I have one every weekday as part of my morning break at work. Just peel it and eat the sections like an orange. So sweet and so perfect during the winter.

Amber K March 2, 2012

The new header is absolutely beautiful! I love the look of snow, but I’m glad there’s none actually near me. Way too cold!

I totally go in and out of food kicks. Lately it’s been overnight oatmeal, green monsters, gluten-free Zing bars and apples. Buckets full of apples!

Vegyogini March 2, 2012

Those nut butters look delicious! Will you be enlisting recipe testers for this book?

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy March 2, 2012

Your luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter sounds delicious! Cannot wait for the recipe! have a fabulous weekend!

Dreena Burton March 2, 2012

Great post Angela! I love blogging about new (and well-loved) foods, it’s fun to share the finds!! I have never seen that rawtella butter, but I would <3 something like that – at least one without coffee – have never liked coffee. oh well!

As for spilling the beans… BEANS! Love beans so much, and this time of year they are so hearty – lentils, kidney, chickpeas, black beans, and more.

Will try to work on that grapefruit love. ;)

Natasha March 2, 2012

mmm, grapefruit sounds so good right about now! and I’ve always wanted to try/see/smell a vanilla bean. What/how do you cook with them?

Matt Lurie March 2, 2012

Hi Angela,

Thanks for supporting the store. I try to stock as many unique and interesting “healthy” products as possible and do my best to allow anyone to eat “healthier for less”. Look forward to seeing you in the store and great Blog!

Regards,
Matt Lurie
President & CEO
Organic Garage

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2012

Thanks Matt, so nice to hear from you! I’m so impressed by your store…I did not expect such a huge selection. We also thought the prices were very competitive and cheaper than stores like WF. Keep up the great work!

Sarah Williams March 2, 2012

I am in love with this new header!! Its so fresh and feels like spring(even though its a wnter one!hehe)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 2, 2012

That winter header is my favorite yet! I say leave it up all summer just for balance. :)

amanda March 2, 2012

Wow! I love the new header. So fresh and bright! I was obsessed with grapefruit this time last year, while pregnant, yum! Right now I can’t get enough of cauliflower mash with miso gravy, millet porridge, avocado/tempeh/arugula sandwiches and chocolate chocolate chocolate (my husband and I make your no bake chocolate torte recipe on a very regular basis!) :)

Krystal March 2, 2012

I feel you, totally obsessed with grapefruits right now! I am also loving carrot fries which I make by just cutting up some fresh carrots and grilling them up on the stovetop.

Wendy Irene March 2, 2012

The rawtella looks amazing! I need to keep my eye out for it. Have a great weekend!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life March 2, 2012

Ooooh wow rawtella – how have I not heard of this till now? And yes, yes, yes to millet and that marinara sauce and CHEAP vanilla beans! Hallelujah!

Melissa March 2, 2012

Bahaha! Angela, I had the same outfits! The leggings/skirt/top combo was so fashion forward. As I recall mine had striped leggings, a starred skirt and polka dotted shirt. God, if only that were acceptable to wear again. Thanks for the laugh :)

Rebecca March 2, 2012

Cabbage, kale, and green smoothies!! I read on http://www.nourishingmeals.com/, the whole life nutrition kitchen blog, that it increases your antioxidant production for 72 hours after you eat it. As if I needed another reason to make your over the rainbow salad…which I’ve made twice this week. Kale chips are baking in my oven as we speak, and my massive food crush on green monster smoothies is out of control. The best part of waking up is 3 massive handfuls of spinach in my cup. Your blog is such an inspiration even for omnivores like me.

Ariel March 2, 2012

I’m obsessed with your creamy avocado pesto. cept ive gotten to the point where it doesn’t make it to the pasta. it goes straight from the food processor into my mouth.

Sarah Grubbs March 2, 2012

KALE, anytime, anyway (mostly raw). My sister and I find ourselves hiding it from our men while making dinner. We each have developed the habit of eating about 1/3 of the salad before dinner then giving our husbands just a lightly larger portion so they think we are self-sacrificing ;) It is PERFECT with some Bragg’s Amino Acids, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and black hawaiian kosher salt. DELICIOUS, you will find yourself hiding it all for yourself!

Christie March 2, 2012

Loving your new header – its gorgeous! I can’t get enough peanut butter at the moment, I could actually eat it all day every day! I recently bought some FIjian style tamarind chutney that is absolutely to die for and has been making a regular appearance at dinner time! Yum!!

Zoe@lose weight and gain health March 2, 2012

Your header is amazing – one of the best I have seen.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2012

Thanks Zoe!

luminousvegans March 2, 2012

Mmmm, that vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter sounds heavenly!

Sarah March 2, 2012

hmm the list goes on:
pickled okra, refried black beans, kefir,fig butter, and sweet potato anything,
pop chips and cottage cheese too!

Megan Wall March 2, 2012

ooooh that mushroom gravy looks divine! I now know what I’m doing with my giant jar of dried wild mushroms from costco!
Right now I’m loving coconut milk in my daily morning smoothies~ a hint of tropicalness in wintery Saskatchewan.
I’ve been experimenting with chickpea chocolate chip cookies :D as well as teff flour in my baking!
aaannndd when I was in Phoenix over Feburary break I stocked up on specialty chocolate(that is so cheap down there!) I bought this brand I hadn’t heard of called Dolfin at World Market: dark chocolate infused with pink peppercorn and lavender! How romantic! I swooned and proceeded to the check out, along with a container of Ghirardelli cocao non-existent in this poor poor province.
Saskatchewan is the current economic superpower in Canada….with no chocolate? HOW?
:P how’s it over yonder East?

Page 3 of 5«12345»