7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

When I was a child, I only wanted to wear my two favourite outfits.

One of them was a neon pink and green spandex short and tank top combo and the other was a neon pink polka dot legging/skirt and t-shirt combo. Might I add, accessorized with a scrunchie, snap-on bracelet, and HIGH TOP kicks. I’ve always been pretty fashion forward. I bet my mom is laughing right now because she spent so many mornings trying to convince me that I couldn’t just wear the same thing everyday.

I guess I still don’t believe her, as I look down at the jeans I’ve been wearing for the past two weeks straight. :)

IMG 00011   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[Check out that pose]

I also go on major kicks with food. In 2009 and 2010, I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. I’ve also had so much chocolate, I didn’t touch it for months.

Wait, that didn’t happen….obviously.

Anyways, here are the foods I’m loving lately. Ask me again in a month, and I’ll probably want nothing to do with them.

#1 Grapefruit

They’re incredibly juicy, healthy, flavourful, and in season to boot. Now is the time to give them another shot if you’ve been on the fence. Try the Rose or Ruby varieties- they tend to have a nice balance of sweet and tart flavours. I find the right grapefruit doesn’t need any sweetener!

Last weekend, I ate 3 grapefruit in the span of one day…it was glorious, if not mildly insane. I had juice all over my face like a 2 year old. Did I mention I used to hate grapefruit?

IMG 7724   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#2 Rawtella

Step aside Nutella, there is a new spread in town. A couple weekends ago, I had my first experience visiting Organic Garage. I laughed, I cried (over the bill mostly), and I stalked every inch of the store with a fine tooth comb. Let’s just say I’ll never be the same again.

Especially, after trying out this little gem…

IMG 7827   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Picture with me for a moment Nutella with a rich, deep coffee flavour. Only this kind is vegan and raw, made with organic raw hazelnuts, organic raw cacao nibs, coffee beans, raw coconut sugar.

As you can see it is now empty. :\

IMG 7829   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Please keep me away from Organic Garage. It’s clearly dangerous.

#3 Fresh Rosemary

IMG 7832   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Remember last summer when I told you that my outdoor potted rosemary plant was dying a slow, horrible death, despite my best intentions (read: over-watering and then neglecting for 2 months). I totally gave up on the plant by October and moved it into the garage for storage.

Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went into the garage last weekend and a friend pointed out that my rosemary plant was growing!!

IT’S ALIIIIIIIIIVEEEE! OH IT’S ALIIIVEEEEEE.

IMG 7830   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

All it needed was a window in the garage and a bit of moisture from the air. Who knew?

Mind you, the parsley on the other hand, is not so low maintenance…it weeps for a better gardener.

IMG 7831   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

I’ve been on a huge rosemary kick with my recipes lately, including this savoury nut butter that I made for the cookbook:

IMG 7835   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Oh man am I excited to share this recipe with you! It’s inspired by my favourite savoury spiced nut mix….and easily one of the best nut butters I’ve tasted in all my years.

I also made a luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter, that will blow your mind.

IMG 7442 2   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#4 Five Seed Rosemary and Garlic Crackers

Sticking with the rosemary theme, this box of crackers didn’t last more than a day or two in this house. They are like a corn chip in cracker form filled with goodies like flax, hemp, and sesame seeds.

IMG 7833   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#5 Millet

I’m using it in everything these days. That is, when I’m not burning it to a black crisp or over-cooking it, which is about every third attempt. Note to self: Find and buy a clip-on timer. Someone mentioned in the comments that I need a clip-on timer like they use in science labs. Where can I find one of these little gems?

IMG 7760   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

#6 White Linen Collection Marinara Sauce

I’m so obsessed with this sauce, I contemplated dedicating an entire post to it. Kristi first introduced this sauce to me a year or two ago and I fell head over heels for this stuff. Then our Costco membership expired and I went without it for a year. Costco is now back in our lives and so is this magnificent sauce. I buy 5 bottles at a time when we go…not even joking! I’d tell you what foods it goes good with, but the easiest thing thing to tell you is what foods it doesn’t go good with.

Nothing.

IMG 6256   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

Well, maybe grapefruit.

I was at Costco the other week and a lady was loading up her cart with this sauce. She said to me, “Have you tried this marinara sauce before?? It’s the BEST marinara I’ve ever tried! All of my Italian relatives buy it because it tastes so authentic.”

We were instantly best friends and then we stacked the bottles into our carts like crazy people.

As soon as tomato season hits, I’m going to try my best to replicate this sauce. Although, I’m not sure how close I will come as they use Italian tomatoes…

#7 Vanilla Beans….the cheaper way!

To those of you who told me that I can find vanilla beans at Costco for cheap…you will forever hold a special place in my heart.

You get about 10 beans for $15 here in Canada (I read they are $12 in the US!), which is the cheapest I’ve ever seen them. Best of all they are great quality and so far, nice and fresh.

061809 vanilla   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

[image source: The Kitchn]

Also note, thanks to a few readers, you can buy 54 vanilla beans on Amazon for $27!! However, I just found out they don’t ship to Canada.

As many of you have already noticed, I finally created my new winter header, just 18 days shy of spring! Miracles do happen. The real miracle will be if this thing isn’t still up by Labour Day. By the way, press control + F5 to refresh your page if you can’t see the new header.

Who says winter is only dark and gloomy?

IMG 7824 5   7 Foods I’m Loving Right Now

True story: I almost pulled my groin while doing this photoshoot outside yesterday. The deck was covered in snow and I slipped while moving my tripod. Groin almost pulled. Thankfully it wasn’t, because I have a 5km race on Sunday! woot woot :)

Now tell me, what foods are YOU obsessing over lately? Spill the beans.

Lili March 2, 2012

Be careful with grapefruit! It interacts with a lot of regular over the counter medications, not just prescriptions.

I take Allegra daily (even in our Canadian winter), and the pharmacist warned me never to eat grapefruit. Apparently you can’t eat it while taking any over the counter allergy medications. Check with your pharmacist!

Irini March 2, 2012

I laughed as soon as I read about Mary’s Crackers because that’s exactly what I’m obsessed with right now! I have them with everything, stew, soup, desert (topped w almond butter and honey, Sooooo good). I’ve gone through 2 Costco-sized boxes in the past 2 weeks, I doubt it’s healthy.
Also, I will be googling organic garage and will not rest till I get my hands on this Rawtella!

Abby @ Fig & Fork March 2, 2012

We’ve been loving ginger, fennel, bok choy, alfalfa sprouts and kombucha, but not all at the same time! : )

Kristie March 2, 2012

Best source for vanilla beans (puts Costco waaaaay to shame): http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Bourbon-Madagascar-Vanilla-Beans-Approx/dp/B000CR1ELU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330701823&sr=8-1. $19 for 27. They also have various other sizes. And if you’re not into Amazon, you can order directly from JR Mushrooms, which I have also done.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

Thanks Kristie, I just discovered they don’t ship to Canada. I will have to try from the source! Thanks

AGS March 2, 2012

Anything sunflower — sunflower seed butter, bread with lots of sunflower seeds. Seeds/nuts tossed onto salads. My sun is now eat nut butters out of the jar, just like his mom. His dad doesn’t think it’s nearly as cute as I do. Ha! And marinated anything — mushroom, roasted peppers, kale. And blue cheese.

AGS March 2, 2012

And I’ve been adding orange and grapefruit segments to salad a lot lately.

Melissa March 2, 2012

This is my absolute favorite lab timer! I used to hide it because the other grad students would steal it from my bench. It is easy to use and can keep track of four different experiments…I mean, recipes :) Plus, it clips on your belt so you can look really cool.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

Cool thanks for the tip! I would try to steal it too ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries March 2, 2012

oh my goodness, that rawtella sounds right up my alley! and your “luxurious vanilla macadamia-almond nut butter”?!?! man oh man, i totally want some of that!

p.s. love your new header!

eileen March 2, 2012

Avacados….clementines….dandelions….rapini…. hemp and chia seeds w/ blackstrap molasses and tahini on toast…….. CLEAN tea ………….. and coffeeeeeeeeeeee

Liz March 2, 2012

I’ve never really liked grapefruit, but recently started tossing it in salads and now it’s usually in the basket/trolley whenever they’re on special. We do salads almost every night and last week I discovered a new blend of greens at WF – ‘Power Greens’ – it’s a salad starter with a combo of baby spinach, baby kale (not that this would happen, but if you’re kale didn’t grow that high in your spring garden Angela, maybe you could just call it this! :)), baby red chard and one other thing. It tastes really good!

Michelle March 2, 2012

Hummus! (As always!) lately I have been craving GF, vegan “pizza pops” made w/Daiya, mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes. I made them last summer and they were delicious! Wishing for the time to make again.
Banana Bread! Another craving
Trail mix! Sunflower seeds, cashews, almonds, raisins and/or cranberries and pumpkin seeds. Simple yet yummy snack.
Smoothies! (As always!)
Soup! Whatever veggies I have in vegetable broth and a wee bit of miso- simple, fast, delicious!
Sweet potatoes. I had some AMAZING sweet potatoes in Cuba recently have have been truing to experience their sweet and simple taste again! Never as good as caribbean produce, though!

MUST try that rawtella.. Mmm… And THANKS for the Costco tip!! Will go there tomorrow!

Clare March 2, 2012

Annd I just added grapefruit and millet to my grocery list.
I’ve been loving sauteed onions lately! and clementines!

courtney March 2, 2012

i LOVE rawtella!!! i was sooo happy when i found it as i LOVED nutella before i became vegan. i melt it and dip popcorn in it…and fruit..and spread on toast..and of course straight from the jar…soooo yummy…

i’m on a homemade soup kick right now..cheap and lasts a week (for one person) great for a college student such as myself :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

on popcorn? You are a girl after my own heart.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife March 2, 2012

The new header is BEAUTIFUL! Love it. This post makes me feel like I should really join a Costco! I’m always on the hunt for the perfect jarred marinara!

Alex @ Raw Recovery March 2, 2012

I’ve been obsessing over my vitamix and putting everything in it especially the raw cacao powder I just got. I’m also loving unsweetened applesauce topped with blueberries and some agave nectar heated up in the microwave. SO delicious

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite March 2, 2012

Ok I am heading out to get those vanilla beans asap! Amazing! I have never bought them before because they are so darn expensive…

Tracy March 2, 2012

I noticed your new header yesterday and really enjoy the imaging!

Foods I am really into right now:
English cucumbers used in green smoothies OR as is with Herbamare (I never heard of Herbamare before I started reading your blog and was pleasantly surprised to find it at one of our local markets on sale! I have been using it in and on everything and love it!), meyer lemons in green smoothies and in dressings like your tropical kale salad (thanks to a 4lb box from Costco) and organic fresh made salsa that you buy in tubs at the grocery store (I like mixing the salsa in with millet, black beans and spinach- so good! I found the recipe somewhere online but I don’t remember where…I believe it was called Mexican Millet).

Tracy March 2, 2012

As a side note, I saw the Zico Coconut Water is looking for professional/amateur athletes who want to partner with them and I thought of you. Here is a link http://team.zico.com/

Renae Robertson March 2, 2012

I can’t beleive with all the comments on this blog, the millet recipe wasn’t mentioned at all! Please post!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

I linked to it in the post :) You can also find it on my recipage too!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga March 2, 2012

$1 per vanilla bean or 10 beans for $15 is a great price…I need to pick those up because vanilla beans can be so outageous!

Rawtella..only had it once, years ago, and it’s delish!

I ate so many Mary’s Crackers, now I can’t even bring myself to look at them. <— My experience was the same, it was 2007ish for me. But in the past 6 mos, I've had them again here and there :)

AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) March 2, 2012

When I saw the pic of the rawtella I was intrigued and wanted to know more but then I was distracted by the Bick’s pickles. We cannot get Bick’s down in the U.S….darnit, I need to make my way back to Canada and quick!

I cannot get enough of avocados and raw red and yellow peppers lately! Oh, plus organic strawberries. It may be a little early but they are so juicy and delicious! OH OH OH, and wayfare cheese spreads! They are delicious on a grilled cheese! I am not a huge daiya fan (I can hear the gasps as I type this!) and so wayfare cheese spreads have filled the cheesy void!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 2, 2012

Haha my mom always told me the same thing….wait still does! ;)

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 2, 2012

Love the Header doll!!! It is gorgeous with the grapefruit!!!

Ahhh these crackers sound fantastic and I KNOW what you mean about Mary’s….omg, I shopped Costco too much and ate too many….eeekkk!!!

Savory Nut Butter?! You’re making me drool!!

xxoo

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 2, 2012

Ooh, the winter header is so pretty!! Glad you didn’t hurt yourself!
So many things on that list sound awesome.. and it makes me think that I need to go the vanilla bean route. They are always expensive at the stores I shop at!
I’m horrible about keeping any plants alive- herbs included! Good for you for having rosemary that is alive!

Amanda March 2, 2012

I’m wish you on the grapefruit obsession. I’ve been consistently eating one, sometimes two, a day for the last several weeks and I can’t get enough! I just recently posted a kale, avocado grapefruit salad that’s awesome. I should really put fruit in my salads more often.

Amy March 2, 2012

I am all into bowls these days, particularly bowls with peanut sauce! Grain+bean+tofu+vegetables+sauce=heaven. Kale, sweet potato, quinoa, chickpeas, and tofu is a favorite of mine.

Kaila @ healthyhelper March 2, 2012

Can I just say… the new header is my favorite picture you have ever taken! Those colors are incredible!! They literally pop off my computer screen! Not to mention…so many of my fave foods are included!!

Carolina March 2, 2012

Oh.my.god. Rawtella?? With a deep rich flavour, made with coconut sugar and not cane sugar? Somebody out there, tell me where, WHERE I can find this in Montreal, please!!!? I don’t think we have organic garage here :(
Angela, I’m eating your millet mushroom bowl right now, and I have to say you have changed my views on this cute little grain with a cute little name :). I was never a fan of it’s crunchy texture, but it seems too be growing on me!

Laura March 2, 2012

I love the new header! So refreshing:) I”m not gonna lie . . . I am still all over kale. It started in the summer and has never really taken a hiatus since. And raw mushrooms for the last few months have for some reason been increasingly part of my daily eats. I was excited to see the recipe for mushrooms and kale on your blog this week, and it is definitely on the hit list!

Stephanie @ Legally Blinde March 2, 2012

Love your pose in the picture! My mom pleaded with me to wear something other than stretch pants for years – even tried to get my baby-sitter to convince me jeans were cool – but I held out until middle school, haha. That Rawtella sounds so amazing, I’m going to keep an eye out for it, although it might be dangerous if I actually do find it :) I’m loving grapefruit, too – such a good winter fruit. I’m also loving sweet potatoes. Oh, and Green Monsters! I’ve made your original Green Monster recipe 3 times this past week and I can’t get enough!

Ileana March 2, 2012

How did you start liking grapefruit? I’ve never liked the flavor…

Wish I could try that raw version of Nutella. Happy Friday, Angela!

Vicki March 2, 2012

You can find a clip-on timer at the Dollar store :)

Moni'sMeals March 2, 2012

Great list. I have got to try that Rawtella! I am loving everything at my Farmers Market for example, still on the Winter Squash, Apples, Chickamoyas, Brussels, Carrots, and Purple Cabbage. Pretty much… your beautiful HEADER!

Natasha March 2, 2012

about the clip on timer…
here is one that could work for cooking AND working out (if you do interval training). :)
Let me know what you think!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

thanks I will check it out!

char eats greens March 2, 2012

I need to get to Costco ASAP! I have a membership, but hardly ever use it before it’s either 45 mins east from me (Newmarket) or 35 mins south of me (Brampton). So unless I have a REALLY good excuse (food just doesn’t seem to be enough for the husband…yet) for venturing that far, I don’t get to. I’m really surprised Guelph doesn’t have a Costco yet – it would make it so convenient to stop there after school if it did.

I am absolutely loving kale (but that never changes haha) and ginger. I don’t think my life would be complete without ginger now – and you can mention that to the husband; maybe he’ll try to sneak under the arm where ginger isn’t by taking me to Costco!

char eats greens March 2, 2012

before should be ‘because’ – it’s Friday :P

Andrea March 2, 2012

Your header is beautiful Angela! I have to ask, did you eat the produce after you photographed it? I would have!

I WAS loving some tangerine curd that I made, but now it’s gone. :) (I wonder if you can veganize curd?) And BRUSSEL SPROUTS! I cannot get enough of those little “cabbage cabbages” :)

Suzanne H March 2, 2012
Angela (Oh She Glows) March 2, 2012

I just tried to buy some and they don’t ship to Canada! Bummer. Maybe I can try directly from the source. Thanks for the tip!

Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables March 2, 2012

I was wondering when you were going to change that! It looks amazing! I love me some ruby red grapefruit, too. I’ve pretty much given up on gardening- maybe I just need to try out my garage, too!

Dana March 2, 2012

I LOVE the new header! and now I really want to buy some millet. It’s a grain I always want to try but always seem to forget about….

carla March 2, 2012

Hi Angela,

you need an gymboss interval timer. YOu can get one here and also use it for tabata Workouts or running. They even got one in pink ;) I´ve got the cameo one, because I thought it was white lol. They have a really nice customer service. http://www.gymboss.com/

Nichole March 2, 2012

I need that Rawtella.

elizabeth March 2, 2012

Ready to get excited?

I bought 65 vanilla beans on ebay from someone in Philly for $17 including shipping. They are great quality (I educated myself on vanilla beans before my purchase). I made my own vanilla extract with it and gave it away as Christmas gifts.

I blogged about it here:

Page 2 of 5«12345»