“Battered” Fried Chickpeas & Chickpea Basil Pesto

IMG_7431

This battered chickpea recipe happened completely by accident.

Accidents don’t usually happen in my kitchen, unless we’re talking about the bad kind. Like when my processor exploded while making this pesto…

IMG_7367

Or when the blender decided to erupt, exploding Green Monster lava all over the kitchen. Or those (many) times when I plugged in the electric mixer to discover it’s already turned on, shooting batter all over the place, as I scream for help.

This processor is the second Kitchenaid 14-cup processor that I’ve murdered, slowly and painfully over time. Actually, I broke the first one trying to process dates on the first try. It takes a real skill to break a processor on the first go around!

I’ve become so accustomed to this wonky processor, I don’t even bat an eyelash when it does weird things like ooze liquids. Eric walked into the kitchen the other day, looking with horror at the processor explosion. I tried to explain to him that this was “normal” and now he thinks I’m the crazy one.

Why do I get the feeling that I’m getting a food processor for Valentine’s Day?

IMG_7371

Chickpea Basil Pesto

Vegan, gluten-free, no bake/raw, nut-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

If your food processor isn’t broken, it’s all downhill from here. Use this flavourful, lightened-up pesto on sandwiches, fried chickpeas, wraps, tofu, crackers, and more

Yield
3/4 cup
Prep Time
Cook time
0 Minutes
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 2 garlic cloves
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup packed fresh basil, stems removed (30 grams)
  • 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste

Directions:

1. With the food processor running, drop in the peeled garlic cloves through the top opening until minced.
  2. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add in the oil, lemon juice, and basil. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
  3. Add in the chickpeas and optional nutritional yeast. Process again until smooth. Add salt to taste and process. You can add a bit more oil or water to achieve your desired consistency. Scoop into a jar or air-tight container. Will keep in the fridge for 1 week or so.

Tips:

IMG_7422

After making the pesto, I had some leftover chickpeas to use up, so I decided to lightly fry them in the skillet, adding seasonings as I went.

This was my first time making fried chickpeas…and oh my lanta they are good!!

IMG_7369

I never thought I’d see the day when Eric would pound back chickpeas.  It was funny at first until he ate all of them on me…

IMG_7426

"Battered" Fried Chickpeas

Vegan, gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free

By

Bored of plain chickpeas? The nutritional yeast and seasonings give the chickpeas a thin coating and a ton of flavour, perfect for popping into your mouth. Keep in mind that the chickpeas don’t get crispy, but they do firm up a bit. I used garlic powder instead of fresh garlic in this recipe because the powder gives it more of a coating, like flour would. Add them to a salad, mix them up with chickpea pesto in a wrap, or just eat them plain. Note: You can also scale down the recipe depending on how many chickpeas you have to use up.

Yield
1.5 cups
Prep Time
Cook time
Total Time

Ingredients:

• 1 tbsp oil
  • 1 (15-oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2-2.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp Herbamare (or use kosher salt)
  • freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of cayenne pepper, optional

Directions:

1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
  2. Meanwhile, drain and rinse the chickpeas. When the skillet has pre-heated (chickpeas should sizzle on it), carefully add the drained chickpeas to the skillet. Be very careful as they will sizzle and crackle in the oil and it may splash you.
  3. Fry the chickpeas, stirring every 20 seconds or so, over medium heat. After a few minutes, stir in the rest of the ingredients to taste. The chickpeas will have a thin coating on them. Fry for about 5-6 more minutes, stirring frequently and making sure they don’t burn. If they are starting to burn, reduce heat. They should be golden and lightly charred in some parts.

Tips:

Enjoyed with the chickpea basil pesto, they did not last long!

IMG_7428

Tuesday’s Post

Thank you for your kind words about the news (and patience for the blog crashing most of Tuesday morning). We now have over 3,000 of you signed up for the newsletter! I’ve started working on the first questionnaire and hope to have the first newsletter out in the next couple weeks. I just need to figure out how this beast works…

Bloggie Awards

The 2012 Bloggies are going down right now until Feb 19th, with bloggers nominated in all kinds of categories. Oh She Glows is nominated in the “Health or Wellness” blog category (along with many of my fav bloggers, like Caitlin and Leo). If you’d like to check out the nominees and vote for your favs in each category, click here. There are a ton of fun categories (and blogs) to check out.

~~~

Today, I’d love to make myself feel better by reading about your kitchen appliance disasters. Tell me all about it…I know I’m not alone!

Also, do you have a food processor that you’re in love with? I’d love to hear about the brand/model you recommend (I get asked this a lot too, so I know many readers would love to read your input.)

1 Keri February 9, 2012

This looks so good–I think I’ll be trying it tonight! I do have a question though. I noticed that you used canned chickpeas, and I was wondering if you have preferences with beans–dried or canned, and why? I go back and forth with this–convenience vs cooking process, and I’d love to here your thoughts :)

2 Angela February 9, 2012

Hey Keri, I go back and forth with both methods too, depending on how much time I have available. If I have the time and plan ahead I make them from dried beans because it is much cheaper and probably healthier. I also buy BPA-free cans when I do buy them pre-cooked.

3 char @ char on a mission February 9, 2012

I JUST soaked some chickpeas last night and I think I might start going between the 2 just like you said, depending on how time is. I recently started buying more dried beans, just to try and ‘make’ my own as a way to save a bit of money!

4 Angela February 9, 2012

Such a good idea…I need to start making beans in advance and freezing them like I was for a while! It’s easy to get out of the habit.

5 Rhea February 9, 2012

I buy dried and can my own. It sounds like a lot, but it’s SUPER easy. All you need are some jars and a pressure canner. I take half a day every couple of months and can up a bunch of black beans, chickpeas and kidney beans and I have the best of both worlds. The convenience of canned with the cost and benefits of dried.

6 Emily (Edible Psychology) February 9, 2012

I had never thought of freezing beans after cooking them. I take it you can do this? What a great idea!

I’m sorry to hear about your food processor, Angela. Food processors and blenders are always the worst because it means you not only lose your wonderful creation, but that creation ends up on ever surface within five feet of the disaster.

Congratulations on your nomination!

~Emily~

7 Keri February 9, 2012

Thanks twice. Once for your thoughts on beans, and once for excusing my glaring spelling error. Here, hear. Ugh!

8 Kat February 9, 2012

Do you own a pressure cooker? I only buy eden organic dried beans now and cook them in minutes in a pressure cooker! Saves a ton of time and money. Also pressure cooked chickpeas taste so much better than canned.

9 Maureen Pluthero February 9, 2012

how many cups of beans can you cook at a time? I just bought a pressure cooker but have not used it yet.

10 Kat February 9, 2012

I have a 6 quart presto stainless steel pressure cooker. I have cooked up to 3 cups of dried beans and I am sure you could do more. I also cook lentil soup in 5 minutes! It is so fast you could make black beans, garbanzo and lentils in an hour! (all in separate batches).

11 Angela February 9, 2012

I would love to get a pressure cooker, at some point. My dad swears by one.

12 Kat February 9, 2012

It seriously never leaves the dry rack because I use almost every single day! The soups that it makes are soooo flavorful and so quick! Mine is a presto 6 quart stainless steel that I ordered from amazon for $40. I use it more than my food processor and vita mix! There is a great video on you tube that shows you how to use one.

13 Lucy February 9, 2012

It you have a crock pot just cook the beans overnight on low, you don’t even have to soak them. You may have to play around with the time/setting but that is what I do and it saves so much time

14 Alyssa (Down To Earth) February 9, 2012

Looks like I’ve got lunch! Thanks, Angela :) .

15 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 9, 2012

Can’t say I’ve ever had an appliance explode but I do short out the kitchen circuits all the time and think my gadgets are broken so then I run around plugging them in the hallway :) I need a high quality food processor as well. I was thinking the Ninja brand? I’ll have to check back in the comments as well.

16 Angela February 9, 2012

that used to happen to me in this house I stayed in while in school. We could never vacuum while cooking! Not that we did much of either…

17 Irina G (Fit Flexitarian) February 9, 2012

Oh my gosh, this looks AMAZING! I’ve just been thinking of what I want to do with a bag of dried chickpeas that a friend gave me and now I know: chickpea burgers and that delicious looking chickpea basil pesto to top them off with! Thanks.

18 char @ char on a mission February 9, 2012

I’ve burned out a pair of beaters before. Before I got my KitchenAid stand mixer (which happened as a result of the mixers situation :D). I knew they were on their last leg because whenever I’d use them, there was definitely something loose inside, shaking around…Until one day they started steaming. I was more upset about the fact that I couldn’t finish making my recipe, which was of course, your chocolate chip cookies! haha But, now that I have the standmixer, cookies for everyone, every week!

19 Angela February 9, 2012

who knew appliances could be so dangerous, right? Glad you got your stand mixer!

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 9, 2012

LOL I’ve totally had the green monster lava erupt in my kitchen too! I’ve got a Cuisinart food processor/blender combo and although I can’t remember the model right now, I can definitely get it to you soon! It’s great and I’ve had absolutely no problems (knock on wood!) Another kitchen disaster was the time I singed all the hairs on my arm off when I lived in Bahrain. The flame on our gas stove had gone out, and my mum told me to just “carefully reach in and relight it”. I figured I’d be fine because after all, it was my mum telling me to do this. A few seconds later, BOOM! Hairs were gone, eyebrow was gone, and my mum felt terrible!!

21 Angela February 9, 2012

That would be traumatizing. Glad u are ok Ange!

22 JessE @ LoveLifeFromScratch February 9, 2012

I think we might have the same Cuisinart Processor/Blender! I don’t use the blender portion at all. Have my Blendtec Blender for that (which by the way is the best blender ever!). No issues with the food processor except that it is tiny….4 Cups I believe. Looking to move up, but when I look at the 14 cup Kitchen Aid (like what you have Angela) I see reviews on how the food gets in places..and you can’t clean it out… that would bother me! haha

23 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 9, 2012

I can’t wait to make that pesto!

Oh man, I can’t think of anything off the top of my head with a specific appliance. I don’t know if this counts or not but we had these old fondue pots (the kind that used sterno) and we were so excited to do a fondue night with our friends. It took 4 HOURS because the sterno kept going out and I felt like a dork. We immediately got electric ones. It might not be as fun but the next time it took 2 hours from start to finish (3 courses) like it was supposed to! :-)

24 Meghan February 9, 2012

I got my first food processor this year after being a vegetarian for 15 years. It is a cuisinart and I cannot believe I used to live without one!! Love your blog!

25 Allison February 9, 2012

Totally gonna make that pesto. YUM! This wasn’t an appliance disaster, but it was a major kitchen disaster: years ago, I had unscrewed the cap of my soy milk and lightly placed it back on the nozzle while I went to do something else. I forgot that I hadn’t screwed it back on, and proceeded to shake the carton of soy milk, flinging the stuff on every surface of the kitchen. Yay, morning celebration!

26 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 9, 2012

I just got a 14 cup Cuisinart Elite Food Processor and I’m seriously in love. Having only had a mini/blender combo one before this thing is life changing. No accidents/explosions/or breaking yet!

27 Angela February 9, 2012

Thanks Gina, I’ve heard great things about Cuisinart processors!

28 Maureen Pluthero February 9, 2012

I made the mistake of buying the 7 cup version as I live alone trust me it is not big enough at times but it works great. Check out Caynes appliances, I did a lot of price checking and they often have the best deals.

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

I love Caynes, thanks for reminding me! I haven’t been in ages.

30 Ashley F February 9, 2012

I only recently started making green smoothies and other beverages in my blender that I got for my wedding (7 years ago) – so it hadn’t gotten much use up until a few months ago. After about a month of smoothie making it started to smell a little like melting plastic. I ignored it because it was still making my smoothies. Then one fateful morning I started blending and it caught on fire. It was a spectacular mess – I couldn’t help but laugh, but only because I didn’t burn my house down :) Needless to say I had to go blender shopping that night!

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

scary stuff!!

32 Shannon February 9, 2012

One time my food processor exploded as I was blending a super hot batch of broccoli-daiy soup. I had red hands for a few days, but for months afterwards I would find tiny specks of broccoli in the oddest places.

33 Katie February 9, 2012

I accidentally sacrificed a wooden spoon to my stand mixer :( Oopsies Thanks for all the different chick pea recipes! I keep buying more and more cans because of you ;-) Too many recipes, so few days!

34 Anna @ On Anna's Plate February 9, 2012

Yikes– no good with the food processor!! But the chickpeas look absolutely delicious!

35 Jesse (OutToLunchCreations) February 9, 2012

Have you tried roasting the chickpeas? You can get them really crunchy in the oven!

I was also wondering if you can mention when the first newsletter goes out on the blog, I signed up but I’m not sure it went through.

My biggest disaster is not exactly appliance related… I made a big batch of delicious herb dressing in my bullet and some how I managed to knock the container over. The bright green dressing got all over the counter, cupboards, floor and even managed to get on the ceiling! I was also drenched in green and I didn’t really know what to do with myself so I called for help.

36 Angela February 9, 2012

I also love roasting chickpeas, but I loved how quick and tasty they turned out in the skillet. It’s a good option for a “must have it now” snack.

Yup I will try to mention on the blog when the newsletter goes out! If you don’t get it, I can manually add you into the system. :)

37 Tracy February 9, 2012

Love the look of those chickpeas!
My worst kitchen disaster was opening a can of vegi broth to make a soup. The electric can opener didn’t turn off after the lid came off and the entire can of broth went allllll over the kitchen; in between cabinets, under the fridge, in drawers. NOT FUN!

38 Courtney@Translating Nutrition February 9, 2012

Just today I was making some croutons with leftover day old bread. I proceeded to get completely caught up in work on the computer and forgot about the croutons entirely until I smelled that burnt toast smell and remembered I had put them in the oven. They were burnt to a black crisp. So you’re not the only one with kitchen disasters. I manage to ruin something as simple as toasting bread in the oven, ha :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

oh man that happens to me so much! I always put the microwave timer on instead of the oven timer (because it’s annoying to use) and then I leave the room, only to no hear when the timer goes off. A couple of times it was a good hour before I realized I was cooking something!

40 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 9, 2012

I love roasting chickpeas and turning them into little crunchy balls of flavor! Love the marinade you chose…working with nutritional yeast is always a cheezy treat :)

41 Greta @ Staying Lost February 9, 2012

This looks delicious! The shot of the food processor has me a little scared, though. :D I don’t want a big pesto explosion!

42 William February 9, 2012

That is a link to A Cuisinart 14 Cup food processor – I have had one for 6 years now and just love it. Cannot wait for you cookbook.

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

Thanks William, I’ll check it out :)

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

I just realized they have it in HOT PINK!

45 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 9, 2012

I have a feeling i’m going to be making these SUPER soon =)

Kitchen disasters? How bout daily! haha — I overflowed my kitchen last week by leaving the sink running, closed my hand in my pannini press once, lost key parts to my blender, processed food without the lid on it and…. well, today’s a new day and i’m sure i’ll have another disaster by the end of it =) Its always good for a belly laugh-cry combo. haha

46 Laurel February 9, 2012

I have a 14-cup Magimix that works like a champ but a) only has one speed setting (for a $400 food processor!) and has a million parts that need cleaning every time, which is annoying. However, when it chops carrots and onions into nice, uniform pieces for me so I can make a soup I somehow forgive all its flaws.

ps. I always bake my chickpeas but these look just as yummy and fast!

47 Kaila February 9, 2012

Ypur pesto recipes are soooo good!! I love the high protein one you made last! Can’t wait to try this one out!!!

48 Becky February 9, 2012

I just have to say.. DON’T eat two cans of chickpeas in any form in one sitting. It’s just not pretty.

That is all.

This recipe looks amazing, btw!!! :)

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

lol..I can imagine!

50 Catherine February 9, 2012

I was making sunflower seed pate and it wasn’t until after I had sampled some of it and was cleaning up afterwards that I noticed half the scraper was missing… I had scraped down the sides as it was blending and it must have caught the blade. Just goes to show you how sharp those things are because I didn’t feel it grab or anything!

Chickpeas, roasted or sauted… YUM! That recipe is “in the vault!”

51 Ashley February 9, 2012

First of all, I just have to say how much I LOVE your blog! I’ve been a vegetarian for nearly three years, but I decided to go vegan as a New Year’s Resolution. Your recipe posts have definitely saved me from endless nights of eating salad for dinner.
I can’t say I’ve ever had any explosive accidents in the kitchen, but I have burned pasta once. Okay, twice. Thankfully I’ve come a long way since then.

52 Angela February 9, 2012

Thank you Ashley!

53 Jennifer February 9, 2012

That pesto looks great, what an awesome idea!
As far as kitchen food processors go; I go hands down for cuisinart.

54 Maureen February 9, 2012

I bought a Vitamix at Whole Foods when they were doing a roadshow . Love it! Use it every day and it is so easy to clean. No green lava explosions.

55 Becky February 9, 2012

I’ve killed six blenders in the 16.5 years I’ve been married. It’s usually right in the middle of making a smoothie that it happens. So sad! I just killed my crock pot last week. I had the heavy insert sitting on the back burner of my stove. I was cooking rice on the front burner (or so I thought). I walked away to help my son with a math problem and heard a huge pop from the kitchen. Yep turned on the wrong burner and cracked the insert. Ugh!

56 katie@ KatieDid February 9, 2012

pesto hummus….. duh! How have I never seen this on the blogworld before it’s genius. My food processor is…. quirky also. I have a cuisineart and love it though!

57 Deirdre February 9, 2012

I’d never tried the chickpeas in the pan before- just roasted in the oven…can’t wait to give this a go…
And green messes are somehow the worst!!!

58 Ileana February 9, 2012

Haha, I hope you do get a new food processor next week!

59 hazelristretto February 9, 2012

Dates should come with a food processor warning – I blew two 1-cup models and almost totalled my partner’s blender trying to make tasty Larabar-knockoffs! I’ve since learned to soak them for 30 min pre-processing and no more blenders were harmed in the making of delicious!

Can’t wait for the cookbook – keep up the good work, Angela!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

haha i was making larabar knockoffs too im pretty sure

61 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 9, 2012

Poor processor! That basil looks like it was worth it though. I’ve never fried chickpeas before – I do like them baked. I love how crispy/crunch they get! Will have to try out the frying method next.

62 Lindsay February 9, 2012

My worst kitchen appliance disaster… oh what a story. It was last year, I was in graduate school and had an exam that day…but I had woken up at 5:30 am with a horrific migraine. Obviously, I still had to take the exam, at this point it was lunch time, so I knew I had to eat something before I left for school to take the exam at 4:00 pm. I had taken medicine but I still felt pretty awful and all I wanted was a smoothie. So.. into my blender went a frozen banana, strawberries, soy milk and flaxseed. I hit blend, as usual. All of the sudden, I felt small things hitting me in the arm. I looked down and saw all these little black pieces of plastic on my arm. OH that’s because my blender was basically shredding itself on the inside and spewing tiny bits of black plastic all over the kitchen. I cried (seriously, I know) and ended up making my smoothie in the food processor. Desperate times call for desperate measures!

63 Angela February 9, 2012

I feel so bad for laughing at this, but damn that is funny!!! Not at the time, of course. Good grief, I can’t believe it ate itself.

64 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 9, 2012

Ohhh, fried chickpeas?! I’ve only ever roasted them. I would assume that they would be similar…
I am just way too obsessed with chickpeas lately (in both savory and sweet dishes)- not that it’s necessarily a bad thing…

65 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 9, 2012

my food processor exploded one time when I was making black bean brownies…it was messy… :)

66 Ashley February 9, 2012

Oo I’ve never seen pesto made with chickpeas, love that idea. I wonder how the pan fried chickpeas compare to roasted chickpeas hmm. I’ll have to try them! I don’t know if I’ve had appliance disasters. I mean my blender always leaks a bit from the bottom and I have no idea why. My food processor only works if I hold the top in place (otherwise it eventually falls out of place it’s supposed to click into and will stop). But I’m just used to those little quirks! I am dying to get a new food processor so look forward to seeing what people say is the best. :)

67 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 9, 2012

My poor food processor has definitely taken a beating too. When I first discovered how to make nut butters I went crazy making so many different kinds…. And it almost didn’t make it.

On a better note, both these recipes look phenomenal! The pesto is kinda like a hummus-esque pesto. Love it!

68 Stephasaurus February 9, 2012

While this isn’t actually a kitchen APPLIANCE disaster, and it didn’t technically happen TO me, it might still make you feel better. :) When I was an undergrad I shared a townhouse with three other women, and one day, two of them decided to open up a bottle of red wine in the kitchen. Something went wrong with the wine bottle opener and the end result was red wine all over the cabinets, counter, floor, even the ceiling! Oops!

As for food processors, we are putting a KitchenAid 13-cup processor on our wedding registry. My fiance’s sister just got one recently, and that thing is beast! Right now I have a 3-cup (or 4?) Cuisinart, and it gets the job done when I make my weekly batch of hummus. :)

69 Angela February 9, 2012

That’s happened to me before too (the wine) and once I was using a wine opener and the cork fell INTO the wine bottle and of course we couldnt get it- or the tiny cork shards- out. That wasn’t a good drink!

70 Gulcan February 11, 2012

Well, student life taught me how to open a wine bottle with a plastic pen, a screw driver and an electric drill. Pushing the cork inside was always a good option esp. if you break the cork on the half way. And oh yes, we always used a tea shieve to get rid of cork pieces – it worked! :)
Good old days lol..

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 11, 2012

hahah wish I would have thought of that one!

72 Rhea February 9, 2012

Not once, not twice, but THREE times my mom used her vitamix tamper without putting the lid on!

She buys them 2 at a time now.

73 Angela February 9, 2012

oops this comment posted below for some reason. Anyways, I said –>Ouch!! I’ve heard that happening so many times, I’m actually surprised it hasn’t happened to me before..

74 Moni'sMeals February 9, 2012

I love when a so-called disaster turns into something fabulous. In this case=SUCCESS!

I will for sure try these. I love this treat and that fact that you jazzed it up with your sauce. Amazing. Healthy too! Yes.
I usually curry up my chickpeas but I love the thought of pesto. :)

75 Sarah February 9, 2012

I have one of those ceramic, solid surface range tops. You know the kind where you have to be careful when you’re done using it because the burner area is still hot but doesn’t look any different than the rest? Well, let’s just say the bottom of my blender learned that one the hard way. The base is half melted but still seems to work alright!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

ohhh that would be heartbreaking! I’ve melted many plastic baggies (from bulk food stuff) on my stovetop…and pots for that matter.

77 Jennifer Kemp February 9, 2012

I have a 9 cup Cuisinart food processor and so far I am very happy with it.

78 Allison February 9, 2012

Stick with a cuisinart it’s a classic, not the fancy ones, just the food processor. It’s almost as good as my vitamix blender. I’ve had mine for 10 yrs. no problems.
I’ve had no problems with appliances, although this morning my hair dryer blew and I burn my pots all the time….it must be my stove. :)

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

I always blame my stove for everything!

80 Rachel B February 9, 2012

hows this for kitchen disaster: i moved in with my long term boyfriend for this past summer. he’s working on his masters in environmental engineering, and still lives in his fraternity house since its so much cheaper than an apartment anywhere else, plus its a 3 story mansion built in the 1800’s with more “character” than you can imagine. I love to cook, but I ESPECIALLY love to bake. the problem? the oven in his house is probably 60 years old.. to light it, you have to remove the bottom pan and light the pilot light by turning the gas all the way up, lighting a piece of paper using one of the stove burners, and reaching your arm to the back of the oven while working your magic with a sparker button which lights the pilot light… sounds fun right? thats just the beginning. the thermistor on the oven is broken, so it only has one setting: on, which is about 600 degrees. so you have to crack the oven door with a spatula and watch a thermometer inside to get the temperature right, and things tend to burn on the bottom and not cook on the top. so frustrating!! Now that we have a different place with a real oven I could not appreciate it more!!!!

And he bought me an Oster 10 Cup Food Processor for my birthday and I absolutely love it, I’ve never had any problems with it and it also makes grating carrots and zucchini, or slicing veggies for stir fry a breeze!

81 Becca February 9, 2012

My food processor died today because I tried to make A LOT of almond butter at once. It was just too much for the poor thing and now my kitchen smells bad because of the smoke… :(.
A really nice food processor is Thermomix, though maybe only available in Europe? And my Bosch processor is really nice as well. I hope it`s not completely dead…

82 Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 9, 2012

Well, this is surely a pleasant kitchen mistake!! Looks delicious!!!

83 Nina February 9, 2012

While not an appliance disaster per say, it was an epic mess. My mom baked an apple pie and when it was done in the oven put it one the back burner to cool. I guess the oven was still cooling and the pie got too hot (it was sitting on the back burner above the vent that helps the oven cool) and the apple pie EXPLODED all over the kitchen. Hot apple pie filling + pastry + broken glass everywhere! Lesson: beware of aging pyrex dishes.

84 Persephonie February 9, 2012

I attempted my first time to make homemade almond butter in my processor, after about 10 mins on and off it finally got really hot and smoked a little, not good. What is funny is I still use this same processor and it works just fine, must have overloaded the poor thing.

85 Heidi @ Food Doodles February 9, 2012

Oooh, yum. Never thought of battering chickpeas but they look awesome. Gotta try that some time.
If it makes you feel any better, I once used a hand mixer until it literally went up in smoke. It made a popping noise and then spewed smoke out the little vents in the sides. I still don’t really know how it happened. I should really invest in a better quality mixer, haha.

86 Megan February 9, 2012

I made date squares for the first time the other day, and thought I must be doing it wrong because the dates were so hard to process! I used the magic bullet… which ended up taking forever because I could only do a couple of dates at a time, but it worked really well. I also use it on soups, because my blender no longer works. If you’re doing small batches, the magic bullet is great.

87 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats February 9, 2012

I tried to cook beets in the microwave once and horribly failed. =( They started on fire and I ended up destroying the microwave..and the homegrown beets!! I try to avoid microwave cooking by all means now.

88 Mindy February 9, 2012

Looks delicious! As for a food processor… I don’t have one. I use my Vitamix for EVERYTHING. If it’s something really small I use the cup attachment on my immersion blender (or just chop by hand). I have a really small kitchen and the less appliances the better!

89 Stephanie @ Legally Blinde February 9, 2012

I can’t wait to try out both of these recipes! I recently attempted to lighten up my pesto recipe and it didn’t have much flavor, so I’m excited to try yours. I never would have thought of adding chickpeas!

When I was younger, maybe around 14 or so, my younger sister and I were home by ourselves and we had something heating up in the oven. Next thing I knew, there was a flame in the oven! It was an electric oven and part of the coil had caught on fire. Thinking I was being brave and responsible, I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the garage and sprayed the oven until the flame went out. However, I had NO idea what a mess a fire extinguisher makes. And whenever I think about it I can still taste the disgusting flavor I had in my mouth from breathing in those icky particles – so gross. To top it all off, my mom was mad at me for making such a mess! Not my finest hour.

I LOVE my food processor and use it all the time. I have a Cuisinart Pro Custom 11 Food Processor (DLC-8S Series). My mom has had her Cuisinart food processor since she and my dad got married 30 years ago, so I think they’re pretty reliable!

90 AG (Our Lighter Footsteps) February 9, 2012

Good gracious, woman! It is like we are on the same level. I have all these chickpeas to use up and I had no idea what to do with them, since we are hummus’d out!

While I have never busted a food processor (let us know what brand everyone is recommending, I need a new one!), I go through blenders like they are not an expensive appliance! I burnt out the motor on two Breville’s because of my heavy on the beans and greens smoothies! I should just shell out the dough (ha ha, no pun intended!) on a VitaMix, I just cannot convinve my husband.

91 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 9, 2012

I once set my toaster oven on fire when I tried to make grilled cheese in it and the cheese ended up oozing out onto the elements. Whoops! :P

92 Cammy February 9, 2012

Ha-ha I have done the exact thing!

93 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 9, 2012

So making this! I just need to get some fresh basil stat!

94 Kathryn February 9, 2012

I ran out of nooch last night making juice pulp crackers NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I have to make these, oh they look so yummy and I’ve been on a huge salad kick lately so I bet they would be a great addition.

3000! Can you believe it. You are awesome, the community on your blog is awesome and I’m so happy for you.

95 Tiff February 9, 2012

I’ve always enjoyed chickpeas. Fried chickpeas. Baked chickpeas. Curried chickpeas… you get the idea. But lately I’ve been really appreciating the intense and wonderful flavor of fresh basil.

96 Mike Lieberman February 9, 2012

This would be perfect on top of a salad. Couldn’t see it lasting too long though.

97 Sarah February 9, 2012

OH, Angela, don’t feel bad. I killed a food processor myself – not the first time, but within a month, so maybe 3rd time? 4th time? I guess when they say don’t overfill they mean DON’T overfill. I just kept pressing the buttons and told my then boyfriend that something happened. He came in, saw the thing filled to the top, and said “You killed it.” Bye bye food processor.

I also killed a kitchenaid mixer. In my defense I think it was a defected model. I turned it on, worked fine, added some ingredients went to turn it on again…. dead. We promptly returned it and got a better one… she’s still kicking ::knock on wood:: for years now.

98 Asiya February 9, 2012

Love the addition of chickpeas to pesto…looks great!

99 Sonia the Mexigarian February 9, 2012

I killed my first blender trying to blend beets and their leaves. The motor literally began to smoke and the fire alarm went off in our apartment and I had the smell of beets and smoke stuck in our tiny place for the entire day :(

100 Anna @ The Guiltless Life February 9, 2012

Thank you, I was just looking for a dairy-free pesto sauce to try out! I love the idea of cooking chickpeas this way too, never tried that!

I subscribed for your newsletter and cannot wait for the first one! I’m heading over to vote right now too :)

101 Emily Rae February 9, 2012

Working with an industrial mixer once, my assistant plugged it in and POOF! a big black smoke ball and sparks spat at him. That same summer our septic system backed up into the kitchen… gross. So gross. The worst part was running upstairs and having to yell at someone through the bathroom door “Stop what you’re doing!”

102 Vegyogini February 9, 2012

I’ve had my Cuisinart food processor for 14 years with absolutely no issues. I love KitchenAid for stand mixers and their excellent customer service, but with food processors, I’m a Cuisinart girl all the way!

103 jeralyn February 9, 2012

Wow what a fantastic recipe. Can’t wait to try on top of a salad.

104 Angela February 9, 2012

105 Jasper @ crunchylittlebites February 9, 2012

I live with my aunt who has every NICE kitchen appliance there is. She never uses them but I do..and I break them…and then have to replace them….it’s been an expensive 10 months :D

106 Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 9, 2012

ahhh! Kitchen appliance meltdowns are no fun! but thanks for reminding me of a funny incident! Not long after my fiance and I started our relationship, we were making brownies or cake together. I had one of those really cheap handheld mixers and while I was beating the batter, it started to smell kinda funky! (but I was really used to that smell b/c it always did that) And Greg goes, “uhhhh is this gonna explode? I think it’s breaking down” and I tell him, “nahhh no worries. It always does that and I’m used to it!” And right after I said that, it started smoking and made a “pfffff” noise and stopped working. I don’t know why but that was such a memorable and funny moment! :P But I might be the only one laughing right now hehe.

107 val February 9, 2012

Angela–you’re a genius, I’m going to try frying the chi-chi beans…I bet they are wonderfully crispy compared to baking. Congratulations on the book deal–well desevered, looking forward to your published book!

108 Tamicka February 9, 2012

I’LL make you feel better. I have a food processor that I broke the grater attachment to and I’m missising the little thing that slides in the side to keep stuff from falling out so I have to carefully position my fingers over the hole and hope for th best. I’ve had carrots, batter, bread you name it flying all over when I forget and turn it on. Sadly for me this is normal. My fiancé does give me odd looks when I use it too

109 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles February 9, 2012

I love chickpeas – these look fab!

110 Karen February 9, 2012

The chickpea pesto recipe sounds yum! I haven’t had pesto in forever! “Green Monster lava” = hysterical! I’ve had two mid-price range ($150 – $200) Cuisinart food processors, and both have served me very well – no complaints! I have had too many kitchen disasters to identify, not necessarily involving appliances. My accidents tend to involve the spilling of large quantities of tiny grains and seeds, i.e. quinoa, chias, etc.

111 Karen February 9, 2012

Oh, and congrats on the nomination…going to check out now!

112 Ashley Chew February 9, 2012

Made these for lunch. Eating them right now in fact! Supper yummy!!!

113 Ashley Chew February 9, 2012

I ment super not supper. Stupid iPhone auto correct:)

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

glad to hear that ashley!

115 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 9, 2012

Oh my lanta! Ha! :)

I fried a Cuisinart food processor/blender combo recently. I didn’t have the bottom on tight enough so the bottom was stripped. I bought a Kitchen Aid food processor to replace it. I love it! It came highly recommended and it was less than $100!

116 Amber K February 9, 2012

I never would have thought to try chickpeas like this, it looks so good! And congratulations on the blog award nomination! Now I’m off to go vote :)

117 Tami Jo Eaton February 9, 2012

Angela, I too have a Cuisinart and I love it–however I have noticed that food processors are not as good as blenders with liquids.

I was just wondering if you have ever tried dehydrating chick peas before cooking. I love this idea of frying them, but I was hoping you would say that they got crispy. I want some on top of my salad right now.

118 Mae February 9, 2012

This is more of a housekeeping disaster than a kitchen disaster. My husband and I were living in a 1 bedroom apartment in Thailand. He had this battery with cables or wires attached to it that he charged in our bedroom. I don’t know much about that, but I plugged an iron into the outlet beside it. I started ironing, and soon I saw smoke and then fire. I started jumping around like Rumpelstiltskin screaming “FIRE! FIRE!,” shortly followed by “I didn’t do it -it’s not my fault!” Well, it turned out that the cord of the iron had caused the two battery cables to touch each other, and that’s what started the fire, so it was my fault. Oopsies! Luckily no one was hurt and we had a tile floor, so our home wasn’t damaged.

119 Rebekah Acason February 9, 2012

Hi am loving your blog and recipes! My recommendation for a food processor is a Thermomix! You can only buy them through consultants of which I am one but as I live in Australia I’m a bit far away to come and show you why they have the name of the smallest smartest kitchen in the world. You would love them especially with the style of food you do there is nothing else on the market that compares. Check out their web site and have a demonstration you won’t regret it. I make everything in mine – almond milk, rice milk, mill grains and seeds into flour, nut butters, green smoothies, sorbet in 2 min, salads in seconds, dips and sauces and so much more.

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2012

thanks, will do!

121 Rebekah Acason February 9, 2012

Hi again, here’s a link to check it out http://www.thermomix.com.au it’s our Australian site am sure you can find one for the US but I think the Australian site shows a bit more about what the Thermomix does

122 Kristen@Change of Pace February 9, 2012

Name an appliance and I’ve had a disaster with it haha. Food processor, stand mixer, toaster, blender… It seems like I always make a mess. Love this recipe! These would be great in the summer even mixed with pasta salad :)

123 Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 9, 2012

YUMMO! HOw very delicious indeed!!!

124 Bethany M February 9, 2012

“I tried to explain to him that this was normal…” You are hilarious! I always laugh when I read your posts. I laughed really hard yesterday when I read your comment about spilling chia seeds everywhere and finding mysterious spills on your slippers. I feel your pain with the leaking processor. My Kitchen Aid blender leaks all the time now, and at first at drove me crazy, but now I just roll with it. So what if my green monster leaks on the counter? That’s what paper towels are for! :)

125 hannah alehandra February 9, 2012

Sorry to hear about your food processor curse! Those chickpeas look awesome. Bet they taste awesome too!

126 Nancy Mandzik February 9, 2012

This looks so good can’t wait to try it! Have gotten a little tired of plain hummus . I soak 3 pds. of beans at a time and cook in slow cooker then freeze what I don’t need. It’s alot cheaper and I think they taste better. Thanks for your recipes and your web site you have really helped us so much .

127 Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious February 9, 2012

We make these in place of fries or potato chips all the time. I love making them spicy too. I have even “honey” roasted, they taste just like peanuts. YUM.

128 Ana February 9, 2012

Kitchen disaster – brand new food processor, first time using it. I emptied the contents of what I had just processed into a bowl and then put the plastic piece down on a hot stove. Thank goodness you can replace those. The smell of melted plastic was horrible.

Those chickpeas look amazing! Can’t wait to try them.

129 Nancy Mandzik February 9, 2012

I forgot to tell you about my blender explosion ! I was making your wonderful vegan gravy [My whole family thinks it’s to die for] it started leaking from the bottom and I quickly shut it off but it just kept running and sparking and smoking , it looked like it was possessed ,I’m embarrassed to admit I actually ran away from it . My husband was laughing so hard he said my eyes looked like saucers , then he went in and unplugged the beast . Which had actually caught fire by this time. He now loves to tell the story of rescuing me from the demon possessed blender. It was really weird like something you see in a movie that looks kinda phony, totally strange !

130 Beth February 9, 2012

These both look great!
I have a Cuisinart food processor that has 12-cup, 10-cup, and a 3-cup bowls. It also has 3 blades and two discs that go with it. I LOVE it. I use it almost every day. It’s very powerful — it has no problem with dates! My only complaint is that the gasket on the lid is difficult to clean.

131 Brieann February 9, 2012

I saw this post this morning, and HAD to make these for lunch! The pesto & chickpea combo is delicious! I never would have thought to combine these, but I just ate the entire batch I made- oops. And now I am eating the pesto I have left by the spoonful! The best part about this is it is super quick to make! It only took me about 10 minutes :) Thanks Angela!

132 Amy A. February 9, 2012

Been there done that with the whole “plugging the mixer in without knowing it’s already turned on” action. ‘Flour bombed’ my kitchen a couple of times doing that. So for my food processor recommendation, I have the Cuisinart DFP-14BCN 14-Cup Food Processor in Brushed Stainless Steel. I purchased it on Amazon. Seriously this thing is an animal! So incredibly quiet, very sleek, easy to assemble, clean and operate. The power it unleashes is unvelieveable. I regularly make pestos, cinnamon date balls, yeast dough, banana soft serve, the list goes on and on. I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

133 Megan February 9, 2012

Where oh where to start with kitchen disasters??? Maybe the first time I learned to use the dishwasher about 10 years ago (I’m 24 now) and put in regular dish detergent rather than dishWASHER detergent…bubbles coming out of the entire kitchen! Or the time more recently that my younger sister and I were trying to ‘country fry’ steaks for Father’s Day for our dad and nearly burned the kitchen down because the oil almost caught on fire…Dad had to save the day on that one. He ended up cooking his own steaks for Father’s Day haha

So many more – including several involving a food processor with a mind of its own :)

134 Margaret February 9, 2012

Oh dear, you broke the food processor on the first go. That’s depressing. I broke a juicer on the first go many years ago. I don’t want to think about it though…
I’ll go and vote for your blog in a minute. You are so inspiring Angela. :)

135 Karlee @olivewineandfood February 9, 2012

i can’t believe i have never tried fried chickpeas. i LOVE them baked, and this is much faster!

136 Ashley February 9, 2012

I’ve definitely had my share of kitchen appliance disasters. The one that takes the cake though happened when I was about 12. My mom, sister, and I were making cookies, and I was beating the batter with an electric mixer. All the sudden, I had this pain in my head, and I realized that my hair had gotten caught in the beaters! The beaters twisted up my hair till they were pounding on my head! We struggled to get the darn thing turned off for a few seconds. I had a bald spot on my head for awhile after that incident! :)

137 Maria Carolina February 9, 2012

I had a laugh reading your food processor troubles! My mom has had her black and decker food processor since her wedding day 20 years ago and its still going strong! It sounds like the world is breaking in two when I try to process dry dates but other than that it really can’t be beat.

138 Megan February 9, 2012

BTW, not sure if I am just waaaay behind the times and everyone already knows this, but I was ecstatic to learn the the blade from my broken blender fits onto a normal sized mason jar. So now I can make smoothies in a jar, using the blender base, and it doesn’t matter that the “jug” part of the blender is broken. Most helpful thing I have ever learned in the kitchen!

139 Willow February 9, 2012

Oh… oh, those chickpeas sound good. This may sound odd, but I literally *crave* chickpeas, sometimes – but I’ve never had them like this before. The pesto sounds good as well, but oh… oh, the chickpeas. :P

And I apologize for not having a brand of food processor to recommend… I oftne find myself in the same situation, with liquid oozing out or things mysteriously stopping or starting, and for the most part I’ve resigned myself to believing that’s just the way it’s going to be. One of these days I’ll talk myself into getting a new one.

140 Lisa February 10, 2012

I have an OLD 7 cup Cuisinart food processor. We have a bit of a love-hate relationship (I may have abused her a bit) – I use it at least once a day (sometimes 4-5 times) for some horrible and mean task. For the most part, she keeps on going… BUT… if I am processing anything that might get even a little liquid-y, I have to put a towel over her. This saves my walls from being splashed with all manner of messiness. I get frustrated each time I have to do it. Then I remind myself that I have had her for a LONG time (over 10 years – I really don’t remember not having her).
When I buy a new one, it will likely be another Cuisinart. I feel like I owe them at least that much :)
My hubby munches up chick peas cooked this way, too (this is very out of character). I usually add a bunch of garam masala or chaat masala at the end – VERY yummy! I can’t wait to try adding a bit of nutritional yeast… why didn’t I think of that??

141 Susan February 10, 2012

I don’t always get along with my food processor either. It’s a Moulinex – nothing fancy – I’ve had it for years and when I haven’t used it for a while I seem to forget how to put the pieces together to make it work! Then once I finally remember how to get it to turn on, it’s like the spinning action of the blade tightens everything and I can’t get the lid off. On more than one occasion I’ve been known to take my meat tenderizer mallet and bang away on the lid to pry it off. I keep hoping that in doing this I will break something and have an excuse to buy a new one but sadly that hasn’t happened yet.
I’m also pretty good at burning out hand mixers – must have gone thru half a dozen in the last 10 years!

142 jacki February 10, 2012

is there something I can use instead of nutritional yeast?

143 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2012

maybe flour?

144 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove February 10, 2012

These look delicious! We need to buy a food processor, too. Someone bought it from our registry and sent it to us. Go figure!

145 Joann@womaninreallife February 10, 2012

I adore chickpeas and this recipe looks delicious.

I have had a few kitchen disasters…the worst was when I set the stove on fire when we were getting ready to move. There was stuff all over the kitchen, including a couple items on the stove. I turned on the wrong burner…I burned a whole baby monitor. Not good. There was soot all over the house a couple days before we had to turn it over to someone else. My new rule is to never never put anything on the stove that doesn’t belong there, even if I don’t plan to cook.

146 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 10, 2012

Yum! These look delish! My food processor took a dump too! I ended up get a 16 cup Cuisnart that works wonderfully! I love it! Actually I love it so much I named him Zacj! Ithink I see him more then my Husband!!

147 LizAshlee February 10, 2012

This looks great and so simple..luv it..plus it’s green! :)

148 Robyn February 10, 2012

i killed my mom’s immersion blender by sticking it in a jar of almond butter, trying to blend in the oil that separated out. whoopsie!

149 Yasmine Hardcastle February 10, 2012

The first time I ever made icing with my KitchenAid mixer, I was adding icing sugar to the bowl and then accidental contact… The beater tapped the cup and in turn swooped white powder up and out – all over me and half the kitchen. I laughed like a crazy person. It was very “I Love Lucy” and took forever to clean up. The next morning, I opened an overhead cupboard and a mini fall of icing sugar fell to the counter. More cleaning. Lol. You can imagine that I am hyper aware when I make icing after that. Btw, your chocolate cherry truffles? LOVELY. Made them last night to test run pre Valentine’s Day and they are spectacular. :) Thanks for the awesome recipe!

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2012

lol I can just imagine the mess that would’ve made. Glad you like the truffles!

151 Elizabeth February 10, 2012

Can’t wait to make those chickpeas..yum!!! Kitchen Disasters…too many to name them all. The time I burnt up my blender trying to use it as a food processor and pack it full of things that didn’t belong..the plastic melted. Whipping mashed sweet potatoes all over my kitchen when the mixer got out of control (or I had too much wine :). Burning my big pregnant belly on a hot cookie sheet sitting on my stove as I reached up for the microwave (how could I forget about the big belly)..3 years ago and I still have the scar! ArGH!

152 Ashley February 10, 2012

Made this tonight and the boyfriend and I loved it! Thanks so much for the recipe. :)

153 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 10, 2012

Crispy chickpeas + salty pestos? Ohhhh lanta.

154 Kelly Klepfer February 10, 2012

I have a food processor that has been loved nearly to death. About two years ago I thought we’d have to bury it because the handle got off track and we had to crank it back into place. Who knew that batch after batch of apple slaw would stress it out. But it’s still kicking. Right now, there is a chunk of handle that flies off every once in awhile and stops it in its tracks. I hate to replace her, she’s still a little work horse.

I also am VERY hard on crock pots. I shorted a plug out once and sent a shower of sparks that ate little holes in the crock pot when I put the insert on top of the cord that I didn’t realize was inside the metal housing. And one crockpot is without a knob and a handle. But, she still works, too.

155 Drisana (SoulShineBlog) February 11, 2012

I have tried roasting chickpeas before but not frying them like this, they look so, so good! And so does the pesto!

156 Sarah February 12, 2012

Yum major chickpea kick lately, this look like a fun take!

157 Lauren February 13, 2012

I have a Giada De Laurentiis brand food processor from Target. I am pretty sure it was under $70 and I have had it for over a year – it works really well! It has good reviews on Amazon too.

158 Jessica February 13, 2012

Holy crap, those chickpeas are so good! Angela, you are a genius!

159 Becky February 18, 2012

Made this tonight and it was delish! Added a little too much garlic to the pesto…oops ;)
Thank you for all your recipes…if you have any suggestions on a good protein powder, would love to hear them. Can’t do whey. Any suggestions?
Aloha!

160 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 19, 2012

ey Becky, I like Garden of Life raw protein powder: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/25/protein-powder-reviews/ its not sweetened but I prefer to sweeten myself with frozen bananas

161 Amber B February 26, 2012

I broke my food processor on the first try as well. I couldn’t believe it because it was so stupid. I scraped down the sides and left the spoon in when I went to pulse. Now the container and blade are stuck together. I have researched online and it seeks pretty common, with or without the spoon incident. I still use it. I just have to wash it all put together…which is tricky. It’s a kitchenaid 14 cup and I am sure I would live it even more if I could separate it.

162 K June 6, 2012

The battered fried chickpeas have become a stable in our house over last few months, thanks!

163 Colleen June 11, 2012

Made the chickpeas for the second time this weekend and tried adding (mild, madras style) curry powder. Soooo good! EVERYONE loved them, including my meat-loving husband and two little girls.

164 Linda December 3, 2012

can’t anyone just comment about how the recipe turned out? Instead I read a lot of how good it looks, or it goes off on a tangent like this one about having smoothies blow up. I don’t have time to read thru them all, I am just looking to find out if people liked the recipe or not.

165 Mia December 23, 2015

Just made these chickpeas!!! So so so good. I added a wee bit of curry powder and I’m about the eat the entire can. Don’t judge. :)